PDA

View Full Version : Alex Ferguson's replacement

Hibernia&Alba
03-11-2012, 09:05 PM
Who could possibly fill the great man's shoes? I can only see either Mourinho or Guardiola having both the ability and the presence to take his place. It will require someone with huge self belief, and I can't see United going for potential in an unproven name. They will want someone who can hit the ground running and keep the club right at the top.

Squealing pig
03-11-2012, 09:07 PM
Big eck mcleish said it since he was gaffer at hibs. Looking abit bleak for him now right enough.

Peevemor
03-11-2012, 09:12 PM
Uncle Fester?

givescotlandfreedom
03-11-2012, 09:13 PM
John McGlynn perhaps?

jonty
Who could possibly fill the great man's shoes? I can only see either Mourinho or Guardiola having both the ability and the presence to take his place. It will require someone with huge self belief, and I can't see United going for potential in an unproven name. They will want someone who can hit the ground running and keep the club right at the top.

Mourinho has openly stated that he'd like to return to the EPL while Ferguson was in charge at MU - and that it wouldnt be as good an EPL without him.
IMO AF is likely to step upstairs (director ?) and have an 'understudy' - clearly it'll be an experienced manager.

Would hate to be the guy to try and fill his shoes though.

Craig_in_Prague
Moyes should be considered.

coco22
03-11-2012, 09:16 PM
Can come up with arguments for and against but moyes, if successful in the meantime, could have a shout. Versus mourinho or guardiola he obviously lacks oomph but has credentials

pontius pilate
03-11-2012, 09:16 PM
I'm in agreement I think notes is the one they may be looking at. Good in the transfer market and knows how to get the best out of his players.

pontius pilate
03-11-2012, 09:17 PM
Moyes even.

HH81
03-11-2012, 09:17 PM
Sven would be a good choice.

jonty
03-11-2012, 09:20 PM
Sven would be a good choice.
Good shout.

Just after Rix is appointed at Citeh.

#FromTheCapital
03-11-2012, 09:22 PM
Eduard malofeev

Sir David Gray
03-11-2012, 09:23 PM
Sir Alex will be irreplaceable to be honest. He's just a once in a lifetime kind of manager.

I can see United really struggling for a while once he finally leaves the hotseat.

silverhibee
03-11-2012, 09:23 PM
Good shout.

Just after Rix is appointed at Citeh.

:greengrin

chinaman
03-11-2012, 09:43 PM
kenny "full o xxxxx " shiels would tell us in a patronising way he could do it

ScottB
03-11-2012, 09:56 PM
Depends when it finally happens. I think Moyes could be a good shout, but if one of his ex player proteges has proven themselves by then then I could see that being a favoured option.

I can't see it being a big name, purely because a big name will want to come in and put their mark on things, whereas you'd suspect the club would want the new man to carry things on in Fergie style, especially if he remains as some sort of figurehead / ambassador upstairs. Definitely not Mourinho, as he doesn't follow the concept of producing young players or improving younger talent.

LancashireHibby
03-11-2012, 09:57 PM
Benji.

Diclonius
03-11-2012, 10:51 PM
The real question is - how many managers will United have in the five years following his departure?

Keith_M
04-11-2012, 09:35 AM
The worst thing they could do is keep Ferguson in the background. A lot of people have mentioned this as part of the reason so many managers were unsuccessful after Busby, that he was made a director and loomed large over everything at Old Trafford.

FWIW, I think they'l either promote from within or one of Fergie's ManU protoges will get the job (e.g. Roy Keane). I have a funny feeling that Gordon Strachan won't be getting a call anytime soon....

J-C
04-11-2012, 11:43 AM
Guardiola would be a great shout, the youth system is excellent at Man U and they have a proven track record, if he wants back into football and in the English game, it would be a perfect fit for him, either him or Moyes who has the same attitude as Fergie and also gets the best out of his players.

Ultrabee1-0
04-11-2012, 01:20 PM
Colin calderwood.

blackpoolhibs
04-11-2012, 01:21 PM
Colin calderwood.

Good shout, i'd forgotten about that genius. :greengrin

vercol36
04-11-2012, 01:27 PM
Martin O'Neill?

jgl07
04-11-2012, 01:31 PM
IMO AF is likely to step upstairs (director ?) and have an 'understudy' - clearly it'll be an experienced manager.

Please let that be true.

Do you think any self-respecting experienced manager would take the job with Baconhead lurking in the corridors second guessing his every call?

It was the same when Matt Busby was replaced by Wilf McGuinness. Busby stayed around as director of football and returned as manager. He later came back as a board member. Managers came and went and United went down the table and eventually were relegated.

It was only when Tommy Docherty was appointed that United had a manager who could stand up to Busby, too late to avoid relegation.

HIBERNIAN-0762
04-11-2012, 01:38 PM
I think Guardiola myself, Mourino's ego is just too big imo and I think the Man City job is waiting for him, Moyes at an outside bet though

LeighLoyal
04-11-2012, 02:17 PM
I don't think it's as prestigious an appointment as it might have been a few years back, the Glazers are a joke compared to the Arab and Oligarch club owners. Moyes though, I hope he gets it.

lord bunberry
04-11-2012, 02:22 PM
I think ole gunner is holding out for the job

jdships
04-11-2012, 02:36 PM
Sir Alex will be irreplaceable to be honest. He's just a once in a lifetime kind of manager.

I can see United really struggling for a while once he finally leaves the hotseat.

No matter if you like 'Fergie' or hate him that is right on the money for me !!
The problem as I can see it if SAF stays on as say ' Director of Football ' he is going to be sitting on the managers shoulder like a parrot .
It happened before when Matt Busby stood down and McGuiness never had a chance.

For me I would think that if they stay with 'home grown' then Moyes must be in the frame .

For whoever it is it will be ' some act to follow ' :rolleyes:

ScottB
04-11-2012, 02:45 PM

I'm surprised he hasn't gone for one of the English jobs he's been linked with as it would have been good prep for that...

heretoday
04-11-2012, 03:32 PM
Nobody will have it easy following Fergie, especially if he is still hanging around Old Trafford.

Only someone with the teflon-coated arrogance of Mourinho could manage it.

Much as I love Everton and Moyesie, I can't see him at Man Utd. All that money to spend would freak him out completely!

jgl07
04-11-2012, 04:11 PM
I think Guardiola myself, Mourino's ego is just too big imo and I think the Man City job is waiting for him, Moyes at an outside bet though

It could be the other way around. City now have Ferran Soriano as managing director and Txiki Begiristain as director of football. They are close friends of Guardiola from their Barcelona days. City ae going for a structure based on that of Barcelona including a new £200 million academy currently under construction.

I still think Mourino for United provides the best fit. In most clubs his ego would be a problem. At United it will be a positive boom.

If United go for Moyes it will signify they are opting for a low spend scenario to maximize the returns for the Glazers. Going for third place in the PL would fit that model. That would retain the bulk of the CL income but would avoid the spending needed to compete for the title.

TRC
04-11-2012, 05:14 PM
The trouble these days is that no manager is given a chance too build a team and actually instill his views on the team/club. Fergie had a few years before he finally got the team working how he wanted and how the club was run. If Fergie got that job now then there is no way he would have been afforded that time, Rupert Murdoch wouldn't have it! but who to replace him Di Canio!

Phil D. Rolls
04-11-2012, 07:52 PM
The real question is - how many managers will United have in the five years following his departure?

I agree with this, it looks like being the same as when Sir Matt "retired". It will be impossible for the new guy to do the job, as the people at the club will still regard Ferguson as the real gaffer.

Rather than go to a job he isn't really cut out for, I suggest Fergie goes back to his roots and do something for the love of the game - such as be manager of Hibs. Once the dust has settled he could go back to Old Trafford.

Hibercelona
04-11-2012, 07:53 PM
I could manage Man U with the players they've got at their disposal.

fatbloke
04-11-2012, 08:25 PM
Colin calderwood.

:agree: they deserve each other.

camhibby1
04-11-2012, 08:28 PM

Ole is on the verge of winning back to back Norwegian championships with Molde which would be a fantastic achievement considering Molde had never won the championship in its history. He will want to give the Champions League another go. As an OT season ticket holder (as well as Hibs) and regular attender talk is of Gardiola coming in at the end of this season and overlapping with SAF. That said it's anyone's guess and everybody is facing up to the fact that the hardest act to follow in football is about to happen sooner rather than later. Ole is still a long term prospect for Man Utd - he's still got his house in Cheshire.

Stevie Reid
05-11-2012, 10:16 AM
Bobby Charlton was asked about Mourinho as United manager a couple of years back, and didn't think he was right for the job.

I though it was pretty openly known that Fergie himself wants Moyes to succeed him.

Pretty Boy
05-11-2012, 11:03 AM
It's a hell of a job for whoever gets it. Fergie will leave a massive shadow looming over United for a long time to come.

Wouldn't surprise me if it happens at the end of this season either, short of winning another Champions League theres nothing Ferguson can do to enhance his reputation or legend. Another trophyless season or 2 might just leave a slightly bitter end though.

Wonder if he fancies a wee part time number to keep him from getting under his missus feet. There might be a vacancy at Hampden.

Stevie Reid
05-11-2012, 11:07 AM
It's a hell of a job for whoever gets it. Fergie will leave a massive shadow looming over United for a long time to come.

Wouldn't surprise me if it happens at the end of this season either, short of winning another Champions League theres nothing Ferguson can do to enhance his reputation or legend. Another trophyless season or 2 might just leave a slightly bitter end though.

Wonder if he fancies a wee part time number to keep him from getting under his missus feet. There might be a vacancy at Hampden.

I wondered if he may have done it last year had they won it ahead of Manchester City - I think now he will be more determined than ever to retain the title, and a part of me thinks that he will be in the job until he checks out. It's nearly 10 years since he tried to retire previously and shows no signs of letting up.

yeezus.
05-11-2012, 01:57 PM
I thought it was going to be Martin O'Neill... if not, David Moyes.

Sir David Gray
05-11-2012, 09:02 PM
As long as his health keeps up, I really don't see him leaving as manager and I can't see anyone at United urging him to give up either.

I think he'll be there as long as he stays fit and healthy which could be for some time yet. I actually think it's his role as United manager that is keeping him fit and strong. He may find that if he was to retire, his health would go downhill soon after as he wouldn't know what to do with himself.

southfieldhibby
06-11-2012, 09:58 AM
Roberto Martinez.