PDA

View Full Version : Griffiths vs Riordan

Dinkydoo
03-11-2012, 09:24 PM
Disclaimer: just for a bit of fun.

We all knew this was coming at some point, lets try to keep it friendly :greengrin

Riordan is and will always be a Hibs legend and Leigh, though talented, is still nowhere near 'legendary status' when it comes to scoring goals for the cabbage - lets not let current form make us forget that.

Two Hibbys who play/played for the Hibees (:wink:) with a habit for finding the back of the net; who is the better overall player? Can you separate them?

I voted for 'undecided'.

Riordan IMO is still a better striker of the ball, give him an inch he takes a yard, and sends a 30 yarder past the yams. Griffiths however, has a unique combination of skill, pace and strength - such a combination is rare within the SPL, even within the OF.

They both are equally as clinical, and deadly with a striking parter who can create a bit of space.

I'm leaning towards Sparky to be honest, and maybe in a years time my opinion will have changed, but to give Deeks his due I couldn't pick one or the other when it comes to who I think is the better player when on-form and playing in a confident side - for now anyway.

monktonharp
03-11-2012, 09:32 PM
Disclaimer: just for a bit of fun.

We all knew this was coming at some point, lets try to keep it friendly :greengrin

Riordan is and will always be a Hibs legend and Leigh, though talented, is still nowhere near 'legendary status' when it comes to scoring goals for the cabbage - lets not let current form make us forget that.

Two Hibbys who play/played for the Hibees (:wink:) with a habit for finding the back of the net; who is the better overall player? Can you separate them?

I voted for 'undecided'.

Riordan IMO is still a better striker of the ball, give him an inch he takes a yard, and sends a 30 yarder past the yams. Griffiths however, has a unique combination of skill, pace and strength - such a combination is rare within the SPL, even within the OF.

They both are equally as clinical, and deadly with a striking parter who can create a bit of space.

I'm leaning towards Sparky to be honest, and maybe in a years time my opinion will have changed, but to give Deeks his due I couldn't pick one or the other when it comes to who I think is the better player when on-form and playing in a confident side - for now anyway.firstly, there is no OF when it comes to the SPL:greengrin, but Iwould vote Riordan, at the minute but there is no "box" to vote in?

cabbageandribs1875
03-11-2012, 09:40 PM
oops !!!

ronaldo7
03-11-2012, 09:44 PM
Riordan for now. If Leigh gets 105 goals for the Hibs then it's over to him:greengrin

jonty
03-11-2012, 09:45 PM
too early to say.

LG appears to have a better attitude towards the overall game, but technically I think DR shades it.

Both of them, screwing the knuckle down (thats, 'the knuckle down') and being the most professional athletes they could be, would be absolutely top drawer.

the future is in their own hands, but they're in the right place, and the right time, to do something us unlucky wannabe's cannot.

Purehibee_MYB
03-11-2012, 09:50 PM
Voted for undecided.. I think Griffiths has the potential to be better but as it stands it has to be Riordan.. that said Griffiths is 22 and has a great career ahead of him if he keeps focus

Dinkydoo
03-11-2012, 09:50 PM
firstly, there is no OF when it comes to the SPL:greengrin, but Iwould vote Riordan, at the minute but there is no "box" to vote in?

There should be; if you are viewing the mobile version of the site or browsing with tapatalk then you can't vote - I had to login whilst browsing the full site in safari to post the poll.

I don't think it's too early to make a judgement on who we think is the better player; Riordan's unequalled record does make it difficult though.

Hibernia&Alba
03-11-2012, 09:54 PM
Riordan is a much more complete player who should have gone on to a great career.

Hiber-nation
03-11-2012, 10:39 PM
Deeks scored more brilliant goals than any Hibs player I have ever seen but if Sparky is playing in League 2 at age 29 I'd be absolutely amazed.

Cabbage East
03-11-2012, 10:48 PM
Griffiths has potential to be a great player.

Riordan was an absolute genius and one of the greatest players I've ever seen kick a football. No contest.

essexhibee
03-11-2012, 11:18 PM
I voted Griffiths. He's got the wonderful finishing Riordan had, the skill he had, and the clinical prowess in front of goal. But I think he has more than Riordan in that he has pace and the ability to beat a man with his runs.

Not nearly as much as a legend as Riordan is just yet but get him on a three year deal I would be near certain he will be!

Bostonhibby
03-11-2012, 11:30 PM
Deeks scored more brilliant goals than any Hibs player I have ever seen but if Sparky is playing in League 2 at age 29 I'd be absolutely amazed.

What he said, no going to vote on this one though, both did/doing their bit for the club they support.........

eebsie
04-11-2012, 10:03 AM
Riordan is playing for Bristol Rovers, for the point he is at in his career that is crap. I think LG will go on to prove himself a great player.
Needs to keep focused and listen, otherwise Bristol Rovers for him too!
Best contribution to hibs - at present DR, his goals in the record books! But LG has potential to do much more!

hibsbollah
04-11-2012, 10:09 AM
Tough one. Deek has the long career and 100+ goals behind him, but he blotted his copybook towards the end with some dire performances in his second spell. Leigh is faster, works harder and has the potential to be better allround player.

truehibernian
04-11-2012, 10:34 AM
Totally different players but both very gifted. Has to be the early years of Derek for me though - a boy who was equally comfortable right or left foot, deft touches, all different types of goals, even with his head on occasion. Could score tap ins and goals that defied logic.

Leigh is superb, I love his attitude and work rate - when I say attitude I mean he has a touch of arrogance which all good players need and once he grabs a goal he immediately wants another one. A busy pest of a player- great first touch and a left foot to die for - but a bit too one sided at times hence Derek always shades it on technical ability.

Leigh has all the makings of a modern day Hibs legend though in my opinion - 3 year deal, maybe earn a big move halfway into it and get Hibs some big much needed cash. Maybe get some silverware too.

HibeeN
04-11-2012, 10:40 AM
Nice wee volley with his right foot yesterday though :greengrin

SMAXXA
04-11-2012, 11:01 AM
How many goals did deeks score in the same games griff has so far? Possibly an interesting measure to compare?

Sammy7nil
04-11-2012, 11:11 AM
Never fails to amaze me how quickly fans forget, Deek with left or right foot was probably better than Sparky. Not saying Sparky wont get there but come backin another 5 years and have this debate.

Lets just enjoy Sparky and don't underestimate how good Deek was at his peak.

Hibby_G
04-11-2012, 11:14 AM
I would say Leigh dunno why but i think he will score a lot of goals and i mean a lot of goals for hibees

:fenlon:jmcp::giruy:

steakbake
04-11-2012, 11:17 AM
Sparky looks like someone has got inside his head and helped him screw the nut a bit.

Time will probably prove him overall the better player if he keeps it up.

That said, Riordan is often judged too harshly.

hibsbollah
04-11-2012, 11:26 AM
Nice wee volley with his right foot yesterday though :greengrin

The Force was definitely flowing through him there :agree:

Killiehibbie
04-11-2012, 11:33 AM
I hope we have this discussion in a few years when Griffiths really has made his name legendary and banged in 100+ goals for the team.

Dinkydoo
04-11-2012, 11:42 AM
How great is it though that we are actually having a discussion comparing a CURRENT Hibs player to DR?

I haven't felt this good about Hibs in a long time - and Pat has only had one real transfer window to work with.

blackpoolhibs
04-11-2012, 11:48 AM
I voted Derek Riordan, he's probably the best finisher i have seen in a Hibs shirt. Over to you Lee, make me change my mind. :thumbsup:

Hibrandenburg
04-11-2012, 12:14 PM
Sparky edges it IMO. What's going on between the ears making the difference.

3pm
04-11-2012, 12:19 PM
I am not sure Griffiths is going to be around long enough to make the comparisons.

I said at that start of the season I wasn't fussed about getting him back (for the petulant stuff as opposed to ability) but I'd hate to think what will happen if he goes now.

Pretty Boy
04-11-2012, 12:44 PM
Dereks record at ER is incomparacle in recent years. The numbers and quality of goals he scored was superb.

Leigh has all the talent in the world and has the potential to match and better Derek. As long as he keeps the head and doesn't get involved in any nonsense he could go on to do great things for Hibs and elsewhere.

Getting him signed up is the first step.

HIBERNIAN-0762
04-11-2012, 01:33 PM
Sat on the fence with this one, Deek scored some incredible goals especially against "them" and the huns to name just two, Sparky however has a much higher effort range than Deek ever had and at times he looks like scoring every time he's on the ball,

Tough one right now for me

Franck Stanton
04-11-2012, 02:17 PM
How many goals did deeks score in the same games griff has so far? Possibly an interesting measure to compare?

Correct, Deek, played a lot more games for us than Sparky has so, at this moment in time unfair to compair overall contributions. Both good goal scorers, both Hibs fans playing for the team they support. Both loved by the fans, however,......if push comes to shove, would say Sparky wins [got my vote] as he not only scores goals his work-rate for the team is better than Deeks ever was. Give Sparky the same time at E/R that Deek had and I am confident he will score as many, [if not more] goals than Deek did. Both are good players, however, it is sad to see Deek now, such a waste as if he had just screwed the nut could be playing at a lot higher level.

PeterboroHibee
04-11-2012, 02:30 PM
Its a difficult one comparing two players who are at completely different points in their careers.

Riordan had so much potential, he should have gone on to play at the highest level and for Scotland. Sadly he never reached that.

I think Griffiths possibly has as much ability, seems to have less baggage and if we can keep him (not from a selfish point of view but rather for his career), I think he will go on to much better things. If he makes another move like he did with Wolves, or Goodwillie at Blackburn, he will just end up being swallowed up by the system. He really needs to think wisely, hes got a good thing going at Hibs and should he want to stay, at least for another year or two, he will get a much better move than might be available to him now!

HibeeEmma
05-11-2012, 09:46 AM
Fenlon summed it up in his post-match interview:

[Talking about Griffiths] "Normally when you get players who score goals, they don't contribute greatly to the rest of the team, but he does"

#FromTheCapital
05-11-2012, 09:53 AM
Think Riordan had a great technique and probably scored better goals than sparky does. But as an all round player, sparky wins hands down. If he keeps this form up he will go on to much greater things than riordan (not hard i suppose)

hibee92
05-11-2012, 10:24 AM
Deek.

Sparky will be better.

SlickShoes
05-11-2012, 10:44 AM
Griffiths has tonnes of potential much like Riordan, if he can keep his head screwed on and keep scoring goals for hibs for the next 2 seasons then he will get a big move down south like Steven Fletcher.

If he turns in to a billy big baws that thinks he is Messi because he scores in the SPL then moves to the Celtc bench or something similar his career will take a downward turn.

Last season no one was creating space for Leigh to score goals, this season we have Eoin Doyle running marathons around the opposing defence to create the space Leigh needs to score his goals.

Still currently Riordan has the better record so would win in this vote but I really would like to see Leigh sign a nice 2/3 year contract with hibs, keep scoring goals and then see where his career goes after that.

Hibs7
05-11-2012, 10:45 AM
Deeks just now but Sparky if he stays will be better, a higher work rate and still developing, best for him to stay, win the Scottish cup and become a legend.

Peevemor
05-11-2012, 10:48 AM
Griffiths has tonnes of potential much like Riordan, if he can keep his head screwed on and keep scoring goals for hibs for the next 2 seasons then he will get a big move down south like Steven Fletcher.

F*** me! Even players' potential has gone metric now. :greengrin

SlickShoes
05-11-2012, 10:50 AM
F*** me! Even players' potential has gone metric now. :greengrin

I was going to say Kilograms but I thought i'd go all out.

The_Horde
05-11-2012, 11:32 AM
The SPL was a stronger league when Deeks was rattling them in but I think we all know Sparky will one day (hopefully in the distant future) be scoring goals for fun at a higher level than hibs. For that reason I've went for undecided as we'll never know just what Deeko could have done.

matty_f
05-11-2012, 11:46 AM
If Deek had Sparky's work rate he'd have been phenomonal. At the moment, Griffiths is just potential so it's too early to judge him against Deek IMHO.

I hope Sparky is sensible enough (I know, I know) to compare Riordan's career trajectory with that of Fletcher, and maybe realise that there's value in staying on at Easter Road for a couple of seasons yet to develop.

Keith_M
05-11-2012, 12:03 PM
Based purely on the Leigh Griffiths Blog (http://dundeebarryleighgriffiths.blogspot.de/2010/02/dundeebarrys-leigh-griffiths-blog.html), Leigh wins it hands down. :greengrin

Teckle!!

Keith_M
05-11-2012, 12:07 PM
I voted Derek Riordan, he's probably the best finisher i have seen in a Hibs shirt. Over to you Lee, make me change my mind. :thumbsup:

Lee? :hmmm:

LTYF

Tha Cabbage Kid
05-11-2012, 12:09 PM
I chose Deeks because at this moment in time deeks has done more.

but there is no question that when LG is 29 he will top this question! scores goals and has a high work rate and determination!

proud_and_green
05-11-2012, 12:24 PM
It wouldhavebeen interesting to see what would have happened to Deek's career if he hadn't gone to Darkheid. Personally i think that ruined his career and if he'd satyed at ER for another year he would have been in a completely different (and better) situation now.

Leigh looks to have the ability, desire and the motivation.

Purple & Green
05-11-2012, 12:28 PM

Saturday was Leigh's 48th game for Hibs. He's started 42, and came on as sub in 6. He's scored 22 goals of which 6 have been penalties. He was days over 21 when he made his debut and he's a couple of months past his 22nd birthday now. He's also rattled in 53 goals for Livingston & Dundee.

Derek's 48th game for Hibs was against Hearts - he scored. He'd started 26 games, came on as sub in the other 22 and scored 13 goals of which 1 was a pen. He was just shy of 19 when he made his debut, and 20 when he scored his first goal. When he played his 48th game he was not long past his 21st birthday and he's scored 4 goals on loan at Cowdenbeath.

In his next 56 games (till the end of the following season when Derek was a few months past his 22nd birthday) He started 53 games, came on as sub 3 times and scored 31 goals, of which 5 were penalties.

Does that help?:confused: