PDA

View Full Version : Maybury at RB

jw1410
03-11-2012, 08:13 PM
Delighted with the result today but was a bit worried about Maybury this afternoon, seemed to stray out of position into the middle and leave a lot of space down our right flank, which a better team than St Mirren could have taken advantage of. Anyone else notice this? I think RB is his preferred position but I'm not sure why we start him over Clancy.

LancashireHibby
03-11-2012, 08:15 PM
I thought second half in particular he looked a lot safer option than Clancy, albeit partly because Wotherspoon pushing forward meant St Mirren's left side had to drop deeper.

Billy Whizz
03-11-2012, 08:15 PM
Delighted with the result today but was a bit worried about Maybury this afternoon, seemed to stray out of position into the middle and leave a lot of space down our right flank, which a better team than St Mirren could have taken advantage of. Anyone else notice this? I think RB is his preferred position but I'm not sure why we start him over Clancy.

I thought he was out of position a few times in the 1st half, but he was excellent in the 2nd.
He doesn't like to go too far forward, but he's experienced enough to know his position

MWHIBBIES
03-11-2012, 08:16 PM
Though he was fine, McPake was the poor one in the defense

green glory
03-11-2012, 08:18 PM

Clancy was injured today or Maybury wouldn't have played.

EskbankHibby
03-11-2012, 08:20 PM

They hit his area with the long diagonal ball all day. He was either too far away after straying into the middle or beaten in the challenge, used to see him as quite steady but poor-ish today.

Clancy is injured.

greenlex
03-11-2012, 08:21 PM
We were shocking down the right hand side till Cairney came over. The amount of times they seemed to have a man over was frighting. Maybury was indeed to central and left the wide man loads of room. If that wide man had been better (or McGowan for instance)we would have been dead and buried at half time.
3pts in the bag though. :flag:

thebakerboy
03-11-2012, 08:25 PM
Clancy wasn't fit (groin strain I think) and he is really just here as cover for defence and usually does OK but Imrie took him to the cleaners in the first half today ,
at one point tempting him into midfield and allowing Mclean to run wide and set up a chance. He will never be first choice I don't think but as back up he can do a job.

Famous Fiver
03-11-2012, 09:01 PM
Imrie is not a bad player and Maybury had his hands full.

He is not the player he was but stuck at it.

What got to me today was that with the crowds getting bigger the critics are back. The number of East Stand loudmouths who couldn't kick their granny really got my goat.

If you can't back the team then STAY AWAY!!!!!!!!

Wotherspoon, Maybury, Taiwo, Doyle, McPake, Claros were all getting it in the neck at one stage or another.

Oh, where are we? Oh yes.......... TOP OF THE LEAGUE.

muzzhfc
03-11-2012, 09:16 PM
he was beat for pace but done the simple things and done them well. thought mcpake did have a poor game, but as we are currently secon. . . sorry, TOP of the league, then you know what . . . who cares. lets focus on the positives of the game and lets build from there! GGTTH

InchHibby
03-11-2012, 09:18 PM

I said exactly what you have just said on numerous occasions in the first half. Time after time he strayed into the middle leaving their number 7 to create havoc in miles of space, and as you say a better team would have taken advantage of this.

IWasThere2016
03-11-2012, 09:20 PM

What got to me today was that with the crowds getting bigger the critics are back. The number of East Stand loudmouths who couldn't kick their granny really got my goat.

Wotherspoon, Maybury, Taiwo, Doyle, McPake, Claros were all getting it in the neck at one stage or another.

Anyone shouting at Claros needs specs IMHO

ScottB
03-11-2012, 09:22 PM
All through the first half he was constantly beaten down the right and that's where all their chances came from, not just a lack of pace but he was invariably 5 - 10 yards behind their winger when the ball was played.

Didn't hurt us much in the end today, but it could have. Hopefully we can tighten up on that side of things going forward.

ScottB
03-11-2012, 09:23 PM

Agreed. There were a couple behind us who screamed at every single little mistake or error, or even if the player did something other than what they thought was the way to go. Got rather annoying really!

down-the-slope
03-11-2012, 09:53 PM
As I have said on match marks threads - i think the tactics were wrong with maybury asked to tuck in and cover for McPakes man. McPake had a total mare (must be his injury?) and it made Maybury and in turn spoony look lost in 1st half. why have a RB mark one of 2 CF's? when eventually the system was changed to 4-4-1-1 we looked a fair bit better

jw1410
03-11-2012, 10:03 PM
he was beat for pace but done the simple things and done them well. thought mcpake did have a poor game, but as we are currently secon. . . sorry, TOP of the league, then you know what . . . who cares. lets focus on the positives of the game and lets build from there! GGTTH

As great as it is that we're top of the league if we want to stay there surely we have to focus on our shortcomings? If I can recognise tactical opportunities then I'm sure other managers can, and as I mentioned before; a team better than St Mirren would have made us pay for that much space left by Maybury. Just saying. Not trying to bash team, can't wait until next week!

jw1410
03-11-2012, 10:06 PM
Agreed. There were a couple behind us who screamed at every single little mistake or error, or even if the player did something other than what they thought was the way to go. Got rather annoying really!

I'm all for letting the team know when they should be doing better, but to ride certain players for the 90 minutes is rather tiresome, and all too common.

Pretty Boy
03-11-2012, 10:34 PM
I said at the start of the season and I stand by it now; the position we are coming from and the budget we have means that players like Maybury are very important.

The guy isn't fantastic but he's a steady squad player. If things continue to improve and finances hold up then at the end of the season we can give him a handshake and a thanks very much and let him go. Until that time we have to accept he'll be steady but unspectacular. After watching some of the jokers to pull on the shirt over the last couple of seasons, I'll accept a Maybury type anyday.

oneone73
03-11-2012, 10:39 PM
I said at the start of the season and I stand by it now; the position we are coming from and the budget we have means that players like Maybury are very important.

The guy isn't fantastic but he's a steady squad player. If things continue to improve and finances hold up then at the end of the season we can give him a handshake and a thanks very much and let him go. Until that time we have to accept he'll be steady but unspectacular. After watching some of the jokers to pull on the shirt over the last couple of seasons, I'll accept a Maybury type anyday.

Well said.

muzzhfc
03-11-2012, 10:48 PM
As great as it is that we're top of the league if we want to stay there surely we have to focus on our shortcomings? If I can recognise tactical opportunities then I'm sure other managers can, and as I mentioned before; a team better than St Mirren would have made us pay for that much space left by Maybury. Just saying. Not trying to bash team, can't wait until next week!

i agree that our short comings should be focused on, but by our management team, not by the fans. the fans are there to back the team while the management is there to imrove the team

fife hfc
03-11-2012, 11:34 PM
As I have said on match marks threads - i think the tactics were wrong with maybury asked to tuck in and cover for McPakes man. McPake had a total mare (must be his injury?) and it made Maybury and in turn spoony look lost in 1st half. why have a RB mark one of 2 CF's? when eventually the system was changed to 4-4-1-1 we looked a fair bit better

As I read down the thread you are the first to notice what was asked of him. thompson was pulling out wide and mcpake did not follow as he did not want to be pulled too wide (fair enough). So maybury tucked in but in doing so gave Imrie too much room. In this situation Wotherspoon should have dropped deeper and provided the cover. anyway this made maybury look out of position but st mirren obviously targeted this but we could have coped with it better. Anyway we won:flag:

007 Mickey Weir
03-11-2012, 11:45 PM

Totally agree! I actually thought he had a good game. Did a professional solid game. It was McPake that was a worry. Quite a few howlers from him. Let's hope he sorts himself out before we play a team with a decent striker.

AlbertK86
04-11-2012, 06:26 AM

Well said mate

Aldo
04-11-2012, 07:10 AM

PB

Spot on mate. Maybury may not set the heather on fire but IMHO is more than solid enough. Folk have very very short memories... Bottom or near bottom of league and players are getting it tight.... Top of league and a vast improvement on last season (still long way to go tho) and they're still getting it tight.

Players will have off days however we have others in the team now who will roll up their sleeves and help their team mate out.

FFS give the team some credit.

lucky
04-11-2012, 08:26 AM
Marbury was left exsposed by McPake not tracking Thompson and Spoonys refusal to track back in the first half. It was sorted at HT. McPake picked up Thompson and came of second best and Imrie drifted out the game