PDA

View Full Version : 10,358

Bob Box Fish
03-11-2012, 05:19 PM
Looked more than that where I was sitting?

At least home gates are improving by a few hundred every week .

Ozyhibby
03-11-2012, 05:26 PM
Were top of the league. I would have expected more but I think the cup final is still hurting attendances.

hibee_girl
03-11-2012, 05:27 PM
Looked a lot more than that

The_Todd
03-11-2012, 05:32 PM
It'll take a consistent level of performance to win back fans lost over a couple of years of dismal performances and results which culminated in the Hampden horror show. They'll come back, eventually.

monktonharp
03-11-2012, 05:34 PM
Looked a lot more than thatshould have been one more, but i knacked my back, minutes before going to the game!!

Pretty Boy
03-11-2012, 05:37 PM
It'll take a consistent level of performance to win back fans lost over a couple of years of dismal performances and results which culminated in the Hampden horror show. They'll come back, eventually.

A win on 3rd January would be a massive step to getting them back imo.

The more time passes, the more I become convinced that game could go a long way to defining how our season turns out.

Cocaine&Caviar
03-11-2012, 05:44 PM
Away support?

silverhibee
03-11-2012, 05:50 PM
Away support?

Pish.

Bob Box Fish
03-11-2012, 05:53 PM
I would say 300 in the away end tops. Maybe Petries telling porkies about crowds to raise £ for griffiths deal ?

The_Sauz
03-11-2012, 06:54 PM
Quiet a few St holders who sit next to me were missing today :agree:
Don't Hibs just count the fans that come through door :confused:

Hiber-nation
03-11-2012, 07:03 PM
Disappointing if unsurprising. Not sure what its going to take some folk to come back - OK we are not playing brilliantly but top of the league doesn't seem to be enough of an incentive.

Doubt if there will be much more next week - the Arabs are mince and its live on TV.

Keith_M
03-11-2012, 07:08 PM
I've been quite positive about the slow increase before but, TBH, today's attendance is a bit dissapointing.

I'm not sure how much more Hibs can do to get more through the gates. It's obviously going to be a long slow process.

Franck Stanton
03-11-2012, 07:13 PM

Correct, unlike our pinkoid neighbours from the slum that is swiney, we only count the amount of times the turnstiles are turned and not the total amount of S/T whether they turn up or not.

iwasthere1972
03-11-2012, 07:13 PM
Although I'm a bit disappointed with the attendance figure, I would rather us be top of the league with a 10,000 crowd than near the bottom with 400,000.

Time (and good performances) are a good healer. Let's just look on the positives. Don't forget some folk were predicting that we could be playing in front of 6 or 7,000 this season.

:flag: :flag: :flag:

LancashireHibby
03-11-2012, 07:15 PM
Correct, unlike our pinkoid neighbours from the slum that is swiney, we only count the amount of times the turnstiles are turned and not the total amount of S/T whether they turn up or not.
Well I don't see any reason why non attending S/T holders shouldn't be counted in the crowd, they've paid for their seat that can't be re-sold after all. At least we're seeing a steady increase in crowds though.

HibeeDaz6270
03-11-2012, 07:15 PM
I've been quite positive about the slow increase before but, TBH, today's attendance is a bit dissapointing.

I'm not sure how much more Hibs can do to get more through the gates. It's obviously going to be a long slow process.
6 points from our next 2 games, would see us 2nd/1st in the league going into a home tie against Aberdeen. If we achieved maximum points, Aberdeen game would attract a very good crowd. Especially if they pick up points in there next game and put on a good display at home to celtic.

thebakerboy
03-11-2012, 07:16 PM

Yes unlike the big team who just count the walk ups and add them to the number of ST's sold. So that if a ST holder doesn't turn up they still count him as being there , but wee teams count all that actually turn up to the game.

lord bunberry
03-11-2012, 07:27 PM
Im surprised that the crowd was as low as that from where i was in section 43 it seemed the fullest I've seen the east this season and the famous 5 looked fairly busy as well with the west looking about the same as normal

LeighLoyal
03-11-2012, 07:27 PM
Still a few k staying away. I remember a totally dross 1-0 defeat to St Mirren five years ago that had nearly 14k at it. In fact here's the link.. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_prem/7062764.stm

Billy Whizz
03-11-2012, 07:33 PM
What was the crowd v Dundee 4 weeks ago?

iwasthere1972
03-11-2012, 07:34 PM
Still a few k staying away. I remember a totally dross 1-0 defeat to St Mirren five years ago that had nearly 14k at it. In fact here's the link.. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_prem/7062764.stm

At that time we hadn't been out the top six in the last three seasons and were regularly playing great football.

hibee_girl
03-11-2012, 07:34 PM
What was the crowd v Dundee 4 weeks ago?

Franck Stanton
03-11-2012, 07:36 PM
Yes unlike the big team who just count the walk ups and add them to the number of ST's sold. So that if a ST holder doesn't turn up they still count him as being there , but wee teams count all that actually turn up to the game.

According to Lancashirehibby there is no harm in doing it that way, personally I am of the opinion there is. Whenever there is a discussion about football the yams always quote their attendance as being more than ours, without actually knowing how many actually attended on paper it appears they play in front of more spectators every week when that may not be the case. Mute point, but one that bugs me.

Onceinawhile
03-11-2012, 07:49 PM

I'd imagine Dundee had a bigger crowd than st mirren too, so that is showing an improvement of possibly 300 fans a game. Of if we get a similar increase for Dundee its, plus bigger its crowd we could be closer to 11k than 10.

Heedersnvolleys
03-11-2012, 07:59 PM
Im surprised that the crowd was as low as that from where i was in section 43 it seemed the fullest I've seen the east this season and the famous 5 looked fairly busy as well with the west looking about the same as normal

It must be the west that is letting us down as I thought the east and FF looked busy to me. I can remember even a month back I could have sat anywhere in the east at FF end not today!:pfgwa

GreenCastle
03-11-2012, 08:10 PM
Looked better than previous weeks so surprised with that.

East seemed pretty busy and busiest I've seen FF for a while.

West centrally looked busy - corners not so.

Saints fans - 2 blocks - would still rather that than a stand full of dirty sevco fans :agree:

Cabbage East
03-11-2012, 08:11 PM
Looked a hell of a lot more than that.

LancashireHibby
03-11-2012, 08:12 PM
According to Lancashirehibby there is no harm in doing it that way, personally I am of the opinion there is. Whenever there is a discussion about football the yams always quote their attendance as being more than ours, without actually knowing how many actually attended on paper it appears they play in front of more spectators every week when that may not be the case. Mute point, but one that bugs me.
I'm of the "can't beat them, join them" philosophy, plus I know it's common practice down south.

West and FF looked particularly busy btw compared to when I was last at ER (Killie game).

ronaldo7
03-11-2012, 08:25 PM

I go through the disabled gate in the east with two others. Our tickets are never counted:rolleyes:

Dashing Bob S
03-11-2012, 08:27 PM
It's going to be a very slow process, as the pain of last two years and the recession made it easy for people to drift away from football. We're actually doing well to keep making those modest increases, as most clubs are showing decreases in attendances.

I'd settle for another couple of hundred on the gate next Saturday, with 500 half season ST's sold.

ScottB
03-11-2012, 08:43 PM
Definitely seemed busier than that to me.

As an aside, for games like this, would we be better shutting the South Stand and giving the away fans one block of the West split off if that was possible? Just seemed a pointless expense on our part to have the cost of opening a whole stand for a couple hundred folk at best...

LancashireHibby
03-11-2012, 08:46 PM
Definitely seemed busier than that to me.

As an aside, for games like this, would we be better shutting the South Stand and giving the away fans one block of the West split off if that was possible? Just seemed a pointless expense on our part to have the cost of opening a whole stand for a couple hundred folk at best...
I was thinking that earlier, but I think it's good for our kudos that we need (albeit not in the strictest sense in the word) to have all possible areas open to accommodate for our own support.

Sir David Gray
03-11-2012, 11:14 PM
I thought today's attendance was at least 12,000.

Given the capacity of Easter Road is around 20,000 now, I can't see where an extra 10,000 people would have fitted in today.

Jones28
03-11-2012, 11:25 PM
I think this is showing just how badly the past couple of seasons/have affected some supporters. It will take a while and a continuing upward spiral to get them back

Speedy
03-11-2012, 11:32 PM
Well I don't see any reason why non attending S/T holders shouldn't be counted in the crowd, they've paid for their seat that can't be re-sold after all. At least we're seeing a steady increase in crowds though.

If you included those who didn't attend in the attendance, then it is no longer the attendance.

Depends what you are trying to get from the figures.

gegs70
04-11-2012, 12:36 AM
Just make sure we all pick up our free celtic tickets to hand out to friends and family.

LancashireHibby
04-11-2012, 12:38 AM
If you included those who didn't attend in the attendance, then it is no longer the attendance.

Depends what you are trying to get from the figures.
Looks good to sponsors and the like and, as I say, we can't re-sell their seats so why not include them?

ChooseLife
04-11-2012, 02:00 AM
12 out on the competition thread! :greengrin

KdyHby
04-11-2012, 08:30 AM
2 guys in front of me yesterday for their 1st match since the final. Pre final they'd been season ticket holders for years.

Hibs07p
04-11-2012, 09:16 AM
.....http://www.scotsman.com/scotland-on-sunday/sport/tom-english-despite-times-of-austerity-with-drains-on-finances-supporters-are-coming-out-in-greater-numbers-1-2613685

Compare the attendances of the ten clubs – excluding Ross County and Dundee who weren’t in the league last year – and seven of them are showing increased crowds, with only Celtic (down 7.46 per cent), St Mirren (down 6.7 per cent) and Hearts (down 15.5 per cent) showing a fall. And there are mitigating circumstances in two of those cases. Celtic fans now have the glamour, and the cost, of the Champions League to think about. It’s no surprise that some of their number are prioritising Barcelona, Moscow and Benfica over some of the domestic fare.

Hearts are down over 2,000 fans per game but you have to look at what is going on there, too. Last season, Hearts’ first six home games included matches against Hibs, Rangers, Celtic, Dundee United and Aberdeen. This season, their first six visitors to Tynecastle in the SPL have been St Johnstone, Inverness, Dundee, Kilmarnock, Motherwell and Ross County. Their bumper gates have yet to come.

Bumper gates still to come? Bottom 6, tax case, and probable share issue failure, I don't foresee bumper crowds at the PBS anytime soon.

Elsewhere, the numbers are good, albeit at a very early stage in the season. Club chairmen and chief executives asked their people to back them in the summer when Rangers exited the league and they have done. Hibs are up nearly 9 per cent, Aberdeen and Inverness are up more than 10 per cent, St Johnstone are up 14 per cent, Kilmarnock are up 16.6 per cent and Dundee United are up 22.6 per cent. Of course, some of these attendances are rising from an extremely low base but that’s not the point.

Hibs up 9%, and the teams visiting ER are much about the same that those that visited Tynie.
GGTTH

shetlandhibee
04-11-2012, 09:28 AM
Hopefully we can get 13k+ against united!:thumbsup:

HibeeN
04-11-2012, 09:37 AM
Hopefully we can get 13k+ against united!:thumbsup:

Can't see this happening with the game being moved to the Sunday and being on Sky Sports. I'd be happy with a similar crowd to yesterday but think it might be a bit lower.

Renfrew_Hibby
04-11-2012, 09:40 AM
From where i was sitting, section 40 of the East, i roughly guessed the following:
West 3,700
FF 2,000
South 300

So 6,000 in total. The usual turnout for the East is around 4,500 so i came away thinking 10,500... was only about 150 out.

And yes i did have time to watch some of the action between counting!

Speedy
04-11-2012, 09:43 AM
Looks good to sponsors and the like and, as I say, we can't re-sell their seats so why not include them?

Like I said, it isn't actually the attendance.

If you want to find allocated seats then fine.

HH81
04-11-2012, 09:49 AM
How we not know hibs already include season ticket holders in the attendance?

All season ticket holders (even if not in ground)
Match tickets sold
Corporate sold
= total attendance....

I would think that's how they do it already?

danhibees1875
04-11-2012, 10:23 AM
How we not know hibs already include season ticket holders in the attendance?

All season ticket holders (even if not in ground)
Match tickets sold
Corporate sold
= total attendance....

I would think that's how they do it already?

It may have changed to that, but that's definitely not how it worked 2 years ago.

marti1875
04-11-2012, 10:59 AM
[QUOTE=shetlandhibee;3398806]Hopefully we can get 13k+ against united!:thumbsup:[/QUOT

I'm not sure if this is a serious comment or not.....but if you are being serious then there's no chance of over 13k next week!
Lunchtime, Sunday, live on TV, so i've no idea where another 3k are going to appear from....it would be great but it just won't happen...

It sure looks like the past couple of years really have taken their toll and even being unbeaten at home, 3pm Sat k.o and a chance of going top still isn't enough for some.
Stuffing the deluded beggars at swiney on Jan 3rd may go somewhat towards getting some fans to hopefully come back though!

Billy Whizz
04-11-2012, 11:02 AM
Next week is Hibs kids day, so hopefully we'll get a few extra along

jonty
04-11-2012, 11:13 AM
IMO attendance numbers should be the bums on seats, used for crowd management, health and safety etc etc. - bodies through the turnstiles + corporate + comps
Tickets sold should be used for the sponsors - ST + walk ups +corporate

NAE NOOKIE
04-11-2012, 03:48 PM
The attendance should be the number of seats in the ground which have been paid for .... simple.

I thought the crowd was about 11,000 yesterday. Its a disappointment that we are having a problem getting folk to come back in bigger numbers, but not a huge surprise I suppose. The good thing is that our crowds appear to be holding up.

Tell you what though ..... I for one cant remember a time where after 12 matches there was only about 6 points between 11 of the 12 teams. Given Dundee Utd's super comeback against Celtic this afternoon and the fact that they have got their 3 main strikers back fit again, next Sunday should be our hardest game for a while with no guarantee of victory.

Given that we are currently joint top of the league this should be a game which can attract supporters even if it is live on the telly and kicking off at stupid o'clock.

If we can hit 12,000 next Sunday that will be progress in my book.

Speedy
04-11-2012, 03:59 PM
The attendance should be the number of seats in the ground which have been paid for .... simple.

I thought the crowd was about 11,000 yesterday. Its a disappointment that we are having a problem getting folk to come back in bigger numbers, but not a huge surprise I suppose. The good thing is that our crowds appear to be holding up.

Tell you what though ..... I for one cant remember a time where after 12 matches there was only about 6 points between 11 of the 12 teams. Given Dundee Utd's super comeback against Celtic this afternoon and the fact that they have got their 3 main strikers back fit again, next Sunday should be our hardest game for a while with no guarantee of victory.

Given that we are currently joint top of the league this should be a game which can attract supporters even if it is live on the telly and kicking off at stupid o'clock.

Surely it would be simpler if the attendance figure was the number of people in attendance? :wink:

I agree about Dundee Utd, I can't help but feel that we may get them at the worst point in time.

ScottB
04-11-2012, 04:07 PM
To be honest the only thing that will stop me trying to make it along every week is the cost, not an issue with an easy solution, but definitely a factor I'd think.

Yesterday was £22 for the ticket, then almost £7 for a coke some chips and a pie. That two or three times a month in the current climate could well be beyond the limits for many people. The problem would be of course that to make a significant cut in that cost would require a lot more people coming to keep revenue the same...

Capt Mainwaring
04-11-2012, 04:11 PM

I'm in favour of an even simpler and more tradional method of using the number of people that actually attended the game.

hfc rd
04-11-2012, 04:16 PM
Its progress. I think it will be a decent crowd next week. Dundee united usually bring a good crowd with them to ER plus the chance for us to go back to the top of the table should entice even more fans through the turnstiles. I'm hoping for at least 11,500-12,000 for next sun.

NAE NOOKIE
04-11-2012, 04:44 PM
I'm in favour of an even simpler and more tradional method of using the number of people that actually attended the game.

It depends I suppose on what you are looking for from the figures.

The number of people who actually witnessed the game doesnt tell you how much income was generated. If the crowd was 10,000 but there were 500 season ticket holders missing you are going to be short on how much money Hibs made from the game I would have thought.

Capt Mainwaring
04-11-2012, 04:53 PM

The number of people who actually witnessed the game doesnt tell you how much income was generated. If the crowd was 10,000 but there were 500 season ticket holders missing you are going to be short on how much money Hibs made from the game I would have thought.

Agree but as long as I've ever looked that Attendance figures it's been for the purpose of understanding how many people attended the match - not how much money the club made from the game. I'll look at income figures from the Annual Accounts.

Speedy
04-11-2012, 04:55 PM

The volume of tickets purchased doesn't tell you that either.

If you want to know how much income we make from a particular game then you can find out but not solely through volume of tickets.

Hibby Bairn
04-11-2012, 05:01 PM
Its progress. I think it will be a decent crowd next week. Dundee united usually bring a good crowd with them to ER plus the chance for us to go back to the top of the table should entice even more fans through the turnstiles. I'm hoping for at least 11,500-12,000 for next sun.

I think you will struggle to get anywhere near that number. Lots of people won't or can't go because they play/coach/watch children's/youth football on a Sunday. Particularly parents with children who play football. Add to the fact that it live on the telly and it will kill any chance of getting much above 10k at the game.

Crazy really!

TheEastTerrace
04-11-2012, 05:20 PM
Read this article on dynamic pricing in the Championship - interesting concept. Don't know if it would work for us or not? http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19716087?goback=%2Egde_1868007_member_177089659

Speedy
04-11-2012, 06:54 PM
Read this article on dynamic pricing in the Championship - interesting concept. Don't know if it would work for us or not? http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19716087?goback=%2Egde_1868007_member_177089659

Interesting concept but there would be a lot of work to do. It would be hard to move away from the idea of dividing total cost by number of games to get the cost per game.

I'm also a bit skeptical that "the system has already proved a hit at Cardiff", I think the fact that they are top of the league has a lot to do with ticket sales.

I think this could have the opposite effect when teams are performing poorly.

Ozyhibby
04-11-2012, 07:47 PM
Definitely worth a try. £22 is far too expensive for some people. Problem we have is that the 3000 extra seats we added means that supply exceeds demand by quiet a bit.

jacomo
04-11-2012, 08:13 PM

It leads to inconsistencies throughout football. I think Arsenal always give their official attendance as maximum capacity, even when 15,000 season ticket holders don't turn up for a meaningless fixture.

Pete
04-11-2012, 08:24 PM
To be honest the only thing that will stop me trying to make it along every week is the cost, not an issue with an easy solution, but definitely a factor I'd think.

Yesterday was £22 for the ticket, then almost £7 for a coke some chips and a pie. That two or three times a month in the current climate could well be beyond the limits for many people. The problem would be of course that to make a significant cut in that cost would require a lot more people coming to keep revenue the same...

It costs me £37 to take a five year old to the match yesterday. I can stomach my 22 but 12 for him is ridiculous. Other clubs charge less for primary school aged kids so why can't we?
Hearts took the cup around schools recently and dished out free tickets for the Motherwell match. Why can't we do something similar? There's plenty room.
I understand the club needs money but so do the fans...and the more kids that go means more fans in the future.

bingo70
04-11-2012, 08:39 PM
It costs me £37 to take a five year old to the match yesterday. I can stomach my 22 but 12 for him is ridiculous. Other clubs charge less for primary school aged kids so why can't we?
Hearts took the cup around schools recently and dished out free tickets for the Motherwell match. Why can't we do something similar? There's plenty room.
I understand the club needs money but so do the fans...and the more kids that go means more fans in the future.

This isn't a loaded question at all but how much is a kids season ticket?

I was under impression that they were really cheap so is the incentive maybe there for kids st sales rather than patg sales, even if likely to miss a few games maybe still work out a bit cheaper?

clerriehibs
04-11-2012, 10:54 PM

We'd have to win it first ... :greengrin

Pete
05-11-2012, 12:03 AM
This isn't a loaded question at all but how much is a kids season ticket?

I was under impression that they were really cheap so is the incentive maybe there for kids st sales rather than patg sales, even if likely to miss a few games maybe still work out a bit cheaper?

The good deals involve buying with an adult or sitting in the FF lower. They are good value in their own right but not suitable for everyone.

Season tickets are cheaper for 12 and under so why aren't walk ups staggered like that?

I don't mean to moan but it's as if the club are saying to people with really young kids "enter into a long term commitment or you will be ripped off"

lord bunberry
05-11-2012, 06:46 AM
A kids season ticket for the famous five was £60 this year which is a good price so i can't see how they can justify £12 for one game

marinello59
05-11-2012, 07:00 AM
A kids season ticket for the famous five was £60 this year which is a good price so i can't see how they can justify £12 for one game

Because they are trying to make season ticket packages attractive to family groups, that's a good thing, no? The cheap kids season tickets are a sweetener to sell more adult tickets.

IWasThere2016
05-11-2012, 07:11 AM
Because they are trying to make season ticket packages attractive to family groups, that's a good thing, no? The cheap kids season tickets are a sweetener to sell more adult tickets.

Which is not of use for everyone - that's not the best thing.

I'd to pay £12 for my son - I don't object in the slightest but in context of £60 ST that's too dear.

Out of principle, I've more of a gripe about £1.50 booking fee per ticket - that's an absolute nonsense.

marinello59
05-11-2012, 07:20 AM
Which is not of use for everyone - that's not the best thing.

I'd to pay £12 for my son - I don't object in the slightest but in context of £60 ST that's too dear.

Out of principle, I've more of a gripe about £1.50 booking fee per ticket - that's an absolute nonsense.

You can't just look at the nominal price paid for the kids season ticket though, you have to look at the whole package including adult tickets.
Don't start me on the booking fees, I resent every penny...... Especially when it is applied to free tickets.

lord bunberry
05-11-2012, 07:50 AM

I agree but i just think £12 is quite a lot for a 5yo remember most people will take the kids along to a few games first before deciding whether or not to go for a season ticket

marinello59
05-11-2012, 08:35 AM
I agree but i just think £12 is quite a lot for a 5yo remember most people will take the kids along to a few games first before deciding whether or not to go for a season ticket

£12 is a lot for a five year old and £22 is a lot for an adult. Football in general is too expensive. The club should look at revamping the whole concessions system. They could start by restricting student concessions to full time students only. :devil: That might give them a bit more room to lower kids prices.

IWasThere2016
05-11-2012, 09:24 AM
You can't just look at the nominal price paid for the kids season ticket though, you have to look at the whole package including adult tickets.

Why? One match for a 5y-o is 20% of the full ST price - that's daft IMHO.

marinello59
05-11-2012, 10:03 AM
Why? One match for a 5y-o is 20% of the full ST price - that's daft IMHO.

Buy yourself season tickets then. I think my lads ticket was £85 or there abouts this year. Next year it will be around the £120 mark as he hits 12. Taken as a family group it makes having the 2 adult season tickets a far more attractive deal. You can't just look at the kids season ticket price in isolation.

Speedy
05-11-2012, 06:28 PM
£12 is a lot for a five year old and £22 is a lot for an adult. Football in general is too expensive. The club should look at revamping the whole concessions system. They could start by restricting student concessions to full time students only. :devil: That might give them a bit more room to lower kids prices.

It is meant to be for season tickets, not sure what the policy is for walk up.