PDA

View Full Version : Is it time to remove the seats in section 43?

RIP
01-11-2012, 05:03 PM
They are a bloody nuisance

For the last 2.5 years we have been stood there with a useless bit of hard green plastic bashing against the back of oor calves. I wonder how many more years we have to suffer that before they think to take the seats out and put in crush barriers? :wink:

ZS DOOM
01-11-2012, 05:07 PM

For the last 2.5 years we have been stood there with a useless bit of hard green plastic rubbing against the back of oor calves. I wonder how many more years we have to suffer that before they think to take the seats out and put in crush barriers? :wink:

Good luck with that

BroxburnHibee
01-11-2012, 05:10 PM
Every penny spent removing the seats and installing crush barriers is one less penny for paddy to spend on the team.

hibsbollah
01-11-2012, 05:13 PM
Every penny spent removing the seats and installing crush barriers is one less penny for paddy to spend on the team.

Taking that flawed logic to its conclusion we would never spend anything on matchday experience EVER.

Chuck Rhoades
01-11-2012, 05:19 PM
No need to remove the seats the club have relaxed the rules for standing right around ER. On top of this, any safe standing would have to be in the FF lower due to how steep the East is.

BroxburnHibee
01-11-2012, 05:21 PM
Taking that flawed logic to its conclusion we would never spend anything on matchday experience EVER.

Take it whatever way you want.

Fact is to do as the OP suggests would cost a fair bit and would directly affect any spare cash there may be for Paddy

VickMackie
01-11-2012, 05:24 PM

Fact is to do as the OP suggests would cost a fair bit and would directly affect any spare cash there may be for Paddy

How much would it really cost to pull a few rows of seats and stick in some metal poles?

blackpoolhibs
01-11-2012, 05:27 PM
How much would it really cost to pull a few rows of seats and stick in some metal poles?

I'd help take the seats out of the lower tier of the FF for nothing. :greengrin

linlithgowhibbie
01-11-2012, 05:28 PM
I cannae pogo for 90 mins any longer!!:pfgwa:pfgwa

marinello59
01-11-2012, 05:29 PM

For the last 2.5 years we have been stood there with a useless bit of hard green plastic rubbing against the back of oor calves. I wonder how many more years we have to suffer that before they think to take the seats out and put in crush barriers? :wink:

A seat rubbing against your calves. Horrific.:tee hee:

hibsbollah
01-11-2012, 05:31 PM

Would you keep our community outreach programmes? Or our hibernian community foundation work? These things also 'take money away' from Pat's team in very simple terms but pay their dividends later; just like improving the matchday experience will.

MSK
01-11-2012, 05:32 PM
A seat rubbing against your calves. Horrific.:tee hee:Exactly ..how do you think the poor midgets feel then ...:greengrin

PiemanP
01-11-2012, 05:40 PM
Won't happen due to the cost, plus I like a sit down at half time to rest the legs !

Cabbage East
01-11-2012, 05:42 PM
Won't happen due to the cost, plus I like a sit down at half time to rest the legs !

Yeah, the cost is the reason why this won't happen :rolleyes:

blackpoolhibs
01-11-2012, 05:43 PM

I know what you mean, i had the same discussion about womens football. :wink:

Viva_Palmeiras
01-11-2012, 05:58 PM

I don't see why special provisions should be made for farmers !? :)

Brizo
01-11-2012, 06:14 PM
any safe standing would have to be in the FF lower due to how steep the East is.

My limited experience of the Section 43 area is that it is very steep... even steeper than the old terracing which ran along the length of Tannadice.

From a H & S pov :wink: the combination of steepness and seating possibly makes it the most potentially dangerous place for standing bouncing hibbies to congregate :dunno:

fWIW I dont think Rod will entertain taking seats out even though id argue its safer to stand in an area minus seats than it is to stand in one with seats. Fans are paying for a seat even if they dont sit in it. The removal of seats would bring back the issue of pricing differences which used to exist between stand and terracing... and that would be the next issue with the possibility of people arguing that they should pay less in a standing area than they do in a seated one. I dont believe Rods going to do anything that could lead to a reduction in income.

If standing areas did return as well as being the best for a safety pov the FF lower would also look best on the TV and being so near the pitch probably create an even better atmosphere.

marinello59
01-11-2012, 06:17 PM
I don't see why special provisions should be made for farmers !? :)

:greengrin

Peevemor
01-11-2012, 06:24 PM
There are structural implications that would have to be addressed. The existing concrete beams/slabs are designed to deal with forces in a vertical, downward direction - they are simply laid on the steel structure with bolts to keep them in place.

The installation of crush barriers would introduce horizontal 'twisting' forces that I doubt were considered in the original design.

Imagine a standard paving slab on a bed of sand. You can jump, stand, sit on it - whatever - it' ll hardly move. Now think of the same slab with a 3 foot long metal pole attached to it - one wee shove and you'll uproot the slab no problem.

Scouse Hibee
01-11-2012, 06:30 PM

Yes you're right, the sensible option and most financially viable one is to disband Section 43, get rid of that ****** drum and make everyone sit in the stadium and use it as it was designed.......................an all seater friggin stadium! :wink:

3pm
01-11-2012, 06:47 PM
I'd help take the seats out of the lower tier of the FF for nothing. :greengrin

Yer bang out of order. West Lower is best!

jonty
01-11-2012, 07:02 PM
thinner calves?

Cost less. in fact, probably save some money. :greengrin

green glory
01-11-2012, 07:04 PM
There are structural implications that would have to be addressed. The existing concrete beams/slabs are designed to deal with forces in a vertical, downward direction - they are simply laid on the steel structure with bolts to keep them in place.

The installation of crush barriers would introduce horizontal 'twisting' forces that I doubt were considered in the original design.

Imagine a standard paving slab on a bed of sand. You can jump, stand, sit on it - whatever - it' ll hardly move. Now think of the same slab with a 3 foot long metal pole attached to it - one wee shove and you'll uproot the slab no problem.

Maybe a temporary standing area built to half the height of the FF ie the height if the bottom tier in the north east corner. Initially unroofed but purpose built for standing. If successful extend it up to the top tier and roof it. If not hide it behind a billboard.

Hibercelona
01-11-2012, 07:05 PM

Unless of course, the section 43 lads agreed to purchase the seats, to keep as a souvenir. The club would then have more than enough to install some crush barriers. :aok:

hibsbollah
01-11-2012, 07:42 PM

I believe some people find this quite arousing :dunno:

Hibercelona
01-11-2012, 08:05 PM
I believe some people find this quite arousing :dunno:

You would think that watching the Hibs play would be arousing enough, but some have to take it a step too far. :tsk tsk:

green glory
01-11-2012, 08:07 PM

Properly lubed up and you'll be fine.

Alfred E Newman
01-11-2012, 09:34 PM
We should never have knocked doon the auld terracing.

RIP
01-11-2012, 10:45 PM
Unless of course, the section 43 lads agreed to purchase the seats, to keep as a souvenir. The club would then have more than enough to install some crush barriers. :aok:

I think this man is onto something. If I was offered a ten year membership I'd be only too happy to pay for seat removal. I'll have a look on Saturday at how they are fixed

marinello59
02-11-2012, 05:25 AM
I think this man is onto something. If I was offered a ten year membership I'd be only too happy to pay for seat removal. I'll have a look on Saturday at how they are fixed

Maybe you should read post 19.
We virtually all want to see safe standing areas return but it will never happen in that section of the East. Look to the lower FF or lower West .

Jack
02-11-2012, 06:47 AM
My limited experience of the Section 43 area is that it is very steep... even steeper than the old terracing which ran along the length of Tannadice.

From a H & S pov :wink: the combination of steepness and seating possibly makes it the most potentially dangerous place for standing bouncing hibbies to congregate :dunno:

fWIW I dont think Rod will entertain taking seats out even though id argue its safer to stand in an area minus seats than it is to stand in one with seats. Fans are paying for a seat even if they dont sit in it. The removal of seats would bring back the issue of pricing differences which used to exist between stand and terracing... and that would be the next issue with the possibility of people arguing that they should pay less in a standing area than they do in a seated one. I dont believe Rods going to do anything that could lead to a reduction in income.

If standing areas did return as well as being the best for a safety pov the FF lower would also look best on the TV and being so near the pitch probably create an even better atmosphere.

When the stand was built we were told it was future proofed. With the never ending chat about safe standing I'd be surprised if that wasn't seen as a possible future.

Gogs. Why didn't you ask the club in some of your chats with them to see what was possible at this time before coming on here and making a fool of yourself and your calves the object of ridicule?

lucky
02-11-2012, 06:50 AM
Aston Villa are looking at bringing standing back to villa park. So there might be some movement on this but from a Hibs perspective there is no chance of the East stand ever becoming a standing area due to the way it has been built

ZS DOOM
02-11-2012, 06:53 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong but all spl stadiums need to be all seater. So the sfa Need to change the rules before a club can seriously consider.

So any safe standing requests should be put through the sfa rather than directed at the club

marinello59
02-11-2012, 07:05 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong but all spl stadiums need to be all seater. So the sfa Need to change the rules before a club can seriously consider.

So any safe standing requests should be put through the sfa rather than directed at the club

The chaffed calves argument should swing things, I don't think it's been used before. :agree:

blackpoolhibs
02-11-2012, 07:26 AM
The chaffed calves argument should swing things, I don't think it's been used before. :agree:

:greengrin

Speedy
02-11-2012, 07:38 AM

Good shout.

Hopefully that'll get things mooving.

blackpoolhibs
02-11-2012, 07:45 AM
Good shout.

Hopefully that'll get things mooving.

We should be going for this moove now, not waiting for someone else to make it. lets take the bull by the horns and go for this.

MSK
02-11-2012, 07:48 AM
Im sure we discussed this on an udder thread a while back....:rolleyes:

dangermouse
02-11-2012, 07:59 AM
No need to remove the seats the club have relaxed the rules for standing right around ER. On top of this, any safe standing would have to be in the FF lower due to how steep the East is.

I argued at the time that the East should have been a two tier stand should the possibility of safe standing be introduced but nobody listened to me :devil:

18Craig75
02-11-2012, 08:04 AM
Having recently been in the Olympic Stadium in Munich, I honestly don't see why the SPL can't start implementing the crush barrier that has a seat that can fold up into the barrier. I believe they have these in other German stadia? It may not be possible structurally in the east, but If the possibility arises, I think we should look into it for the FF lower, and possibly even the south lower.

Phil MaGlass
02-11-2012, 09:50 AM

I wouldnt think everyone in Sect43 would want their seats removed as some like a seat at half time, it would have to be all seats out and not some, it would make the stand look tacky missing odd seats, guess you will just have to grin and bear it, just be thankful the club lets you stand.

blackpoolhibs
02-11-2012, 10:56 AM
I wouldnt think everyone in Sect43 would want their seats removed as some like a seat at half time, it would have to be all seats out and not some, it would make the stand look tacky missing odd seats, guess you will just have to grin and bear it, just be thankful the club lets you stand.

Or campaign for the lower tier of the FF to change, and relocate there?

Big Frank
02-11-2012, 10:59 AM
Ideally I would like to see the FF lower have all their seats removed and a safe standing area installed. Those who wish to stand can, those who dont still have many options for a good seat / view in other areas of the ground.

Would love it!

givescotlandfreedom
02-11-2012, 12:15 PM

Booooooo

IWasThere2016
02-11-2012, 01:30 PM

We should never have built the thing in the first place then :offski:

jonty
02-11-2012, 01:35 PM
We should never have built the thing in the first place then :offski:
As someone who doesnt visit ER, you perhaps were unaware of the lack of facilities in the old east stand.
It was long overdue.

:devil:

RIP
02-11-2012, 01:54 PM
When the stand was built we were told it was future proofed. With the never ending chat about safe standing I'd be surprised if that wasn't seen as a possible future.

Gogs. Why didn't you ask the club in some of your chats with them to see what was possible at this time before coming on here and making a fool of yourself and your calves the object of ridicule?

So I assume you missed the wink smiley on my OP then big yin? Surely nobody is taking the suggestion seriously.......................are they?

I'll be sixty soon - will be glad of a seat before much longer. I'm sure the young goats who stand high in the East get their kill at us auld duffers peching away up those stairs :faf:

Eyrie
02-11-2012, 03:01 PM
So I assume you missed the wink smiley on my OP then big yin? Surely nobody is taking the suggestion seriously.......................are they?

I'll be sixty soon - will be glad of a seat before much longer. I'm sure the young goats who stand high in the East get their kill at us auld duffers peching away up those stairs :faf:

So that's why the club is selling those granite stones - it's to pay for installing a lift!

Peevemor
02-11-2012, 03:02 PM
Booooooo

Ooh Aah Cantilever...

My coat's already on!

Renfrew_Hibby
02-11-2012, 03:15 PM
If there can be a change to the law and safe standing could be introduced then i would like to see the North East corner become a safe standing area.
The East could be extended round to join up with the North stand. It would be covered and slightly elevated compared to the north so it can fit seemlessly with the East.
Capacity would be arond 1500 or slightly less than two full sections of the East. What i would also like to see done is the removal of the black seats in the North upper. Just replacing these with standard green ones and seating the current double wide aisles at this section would add more that 100 seats and make it lood so much better. Always looked unsightly!

Total capacity of 22,000 (20,500 seated and 1500 standing)

Renfrew_Hibby
02-11-2012, 03:20 PM
Also the benifit of this would have our most vocal section at a safe distance from the away stand. I would no doubt be an all season ticket zone so easily managed and policed by the club.

da-robster
02-11-2012, 03:33 PM
You lot are milking this calves joke for all its worth, however, seeing as its got nothing to do with hibs, I think this thread should be remooved to the dug out.

green glory
02-11-2012, 03:58 PM
You lot are milking this calves joke for all its worth, however, seeing as its got nothing to do with hibs, I think this thread should be remooved to the dug out.

Are calves not too young to milk?

Jonnyboy
02-11-2012, 07:36 PM

How dare you sir :grr: I'm peching long before I start up those stairs :greengrin

hibsbollah
02-11-2012, 07:54 PM
Instead of all the expense and construction headaches involved in putting in a standing section, maybe we should hand out cowboy 'chaps' at the turnstiles to protect the lower legs from the chaffing that Gogs describes?:kbacker: A bit of brushed canvas can work wonders for protection from plastic seat rub:agree:

marinello59
02-11-2012, 08:05 PM
Instead of all the expense and construction headaches involved in putting in a standing section, maybe we should hand out cowboy 'chaps' at the turnstiles to protect the lower legs from the chaffing that Gogs describes?:kbacker: A bit of brushed canvas can work wonders for protection from plastic seat rub:agree:

You are on dangerous ground there. It's starts with Cowboy Chaps then before you know it Section43 have become the Village People. :agree:

hibsbollah
02-11-2012, 08:20 PM
You are on dangerous ground there. It's starts with Cowboy Chaps then before you know it Section43 have become the Village People. :agree:

:cb:redindian::dj:

Hibeesforever
02-11-2012, 08:26 PM
Maybe a temporary standing area built to half the height of the FF ie the height if the bottom tier in the north east corner. Initially unroofed but purpose built for standing. If successful extend it up to the top tier and roof it. If not hide it behind a billboard.

Sensible solution, this could be created at little cost.
Corner was a popular area in the olden days, club has to cater for the demands of all customers. All seater stadiums look great for armchair fans but real football supporters always generate more atmosphere when standing and would like a choice.

Good luck to Section 43 keep up the lobbying, cost the project and then just ask for donations. Sir Tom is not the only funding option, young progressive companies might be interested in sponsoring the area / its construction ?

What I love about my club is that we have so much potential for the future.........

:flag:

Jack
02-11-2012, 08:41 PM

Smilies don't come up all the time on mobile versions.

thekaratekid
02-11-2012, 09:31 PM
I believe the cost would be too prohibitive for the club at this current time.

And that's passing over the fact that a fair amount of lobbying would be required in order for it to become a reality. This would require broad agreement.

If we did get there Section 43 would relocate to the FF lower IMO.

Aston Villa have come out in support of at least looking at safe standing. I don't see why Hibs shouldn't throw it out their for debate.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
02-11-2012, 10:11 PM
FF Lower all the way.

Less steep than the east so will keep the health and safety sorts happy.

Right behind the goal in prime position to urge the team on in the second half

Maximum impact on the telly

mikethehibee69
03-11-2012, 12:50 AM
Yer bang out of order. West Lower is best!
Ho leave my seat alone,I enjoy sitting :wink:

ALF TUPPER
03-11-2012, 05:04 AM
Would removing seats impact on our ability to use Easter Road for other events resulting in a loss of revenue ...... Internationals ??

I don't know ..... Just askin like :dunno:

Steve-O
03-11-2012, 05:55 AM
Much as I'd encourage the return of terracing, the current East is indeed FAR too steep. Been a while since I've been in the FF Lower but if it's the same as the West Lower, then certainly there's less of a gradient there which could work.