PDA

View Full Version : Charity Run.

Ultrabee1-0
31-10-2012, 02:07 AM
Right this might sound a stupid idea but bare with me please...
I was thinking of running a fair few miles nothing to extreme but nothing to small I average distance and the money raised would be going to towards 'Dnipro' & 'Sect 43'. I would have sponsors if it got big enough ask players get the word about I also said this on another thread and no-one replied. I am 16 and to be honest I am pretty athletic and fit! The money would be split fairly!!! And the funds to 'Sect 43' would help the guys out on a new card display or even when we turn out at gorgie we want to be noticed its just my way of helping out and I thought It was a nice wee idea any thoughts would be much appreciated. Also I would need a lot of help organising this so anyone willing to help set up and get it running would be a great help as well thanks.
Dylan.

Jay
31-10-2012, 09:49 AM
I've done a few charity runs now and my advice would be for you to join one of the big organised ones. You can choose where your money goes and pay about a tenner entry. People will know you have done it, you will get a race number and finish time as well as a medal. Unfortunately your timing isnt the best, I had a look online and can only find santa runs on the go just now but they are only a couple of kilometres. In my opinion you would be best planning it and training now to do a 5 or 10k around easter time. The edinburgh Marathon Festival is very good, think it was the end of May this year. Not sure if you would be able to do a half marathon at your age but you can defo do the 10k.

good luck with it, its a great way to get fit and raise a wee bit of money at the same time - well done you! :greengrin

Pretty Boy
31-10-2012, 10:03 AM
Would agree with Mrs S. An organised run is your best bet.

I run quite often, sometimes for charity and sometimes just for 'fun' and most of the big organised ones are quite reasonable to enter and very well run.

There is a the Bupa great winter run 5K in Holyrood Park on January 5th which, weather permitting, is always a good one. They are taking entries now for £20. That could be a good starting point either for charity or as a warm up for a longer charity run later in the year.

I'm running it so if you want any advice, help getting started with training or a training partner then feel free to PM me.

Edit: link http://www.greatrun.org/events/event.aspx?id=2

HH81
31-10-2012, 10:36 AM
I've done a few charity runs now and my advice would be for you to join one of the big organised ones. You can choose where your money goes and pay about a tenner entry. People will know you have done it, you will get a race number and finish time as well as a medal. Unfortunately your timing isnt the best, I had a look online and can only find santa runs on the go just now but they are only a couple of kilometres. In my opinion you would be best planning it and training now to do a 5 or 10k around easter time. The edinburgh Marathon Festival is very good, think it was the end of May this year. Not sure if you would be able to do a half marathon at your age but you can defo do the 10k.

good luck with it, its a great way to get fit and raise a wee bit of money at the same time - well done you! :greengrin

Good advice, although I have done a marathon I am now out of shape again.

Only thing I would say is rather than do the big races I would always do the smaller ones. Still organised but with less people.

Jay
31-10-2012, 10:53 AM
Would agree with Mrs S. An organised run is your best bet.

I run quite often, sometimes for charity and sometimes just for 'fun' and most of the big organised ones are quite reasonable to enter and very well run.

There is a the Bupa great winter run 5K in Holyrood Park on January 5th which, weather permitting, is always a good one. They are taking entries now for £20. That could be a good starting point either for charity or as a warm up for a longer charity run later in the year.

I'm running it so if you want any advice, help getting started with training or a training partner then feel free to PM me.

Edit: link http://www.greatrun.org/events/event.aspx?id=2

Didnt know about that one. Might enter it myself. Got half a stone to lose and that would keep me motivated over christmas.

I actually hate running but it is a good way to keep fit and keep motivated.

Hibs Class
31-10-2012, 12:42 PM

EMF is good and well organised. If up for a half marathon there's another in Edinburgh too, in April, the Rock and Roll half marathon, details here http://uk.competitor.com/edinburgh

Online fundraising is a hassle free way of raising funds, e.g. Just Giving or Virgin and some events have their own direct fundraising pages. Doubt you'd be able to do online fundraising for S43 as it's not a charity, but if that was your cause then it could be done offline.

Saorsa
31-10-2012, 02:05 PM
Good advice, although I have done a marathon I am now out of shape again.

Only thing I would say is rather than do the big races I would always do the smaller ones. Still organised but with less people.you're no out of shape, just a different shape :greengrin

HH81
31-10-2012, 02:41 PM
you're no out of shape, just a different shape :greengrin

Bully.

Saorsa
31-10-2012, 02:43 PM
Bully.:greengrin

Ultrabee1-0
31-10-2012, 04:39 PM
Thanks guys this has helped a lot much appreciated!

HH81
31-10-2012, 04:40 PM
Thanks guys this has helped a lot much appreciated!

I bet DD didn't help much :-)

frazeHFC
31-10-2012, 04:47 PM
Good on you for wanting to do it, hope it all works out. :thumbsup:

Saorsa
31-10-2012, 05:40 PM
I bet DD didn't help much :-)be quiet John :wink:

blackpoolhibs
31-10-2012, 05:42 PM
Great idea, and well done for thinking of donating to these causes. :top marks The last marathon i did only took 2 bites. :wink: