PDA

View Full Version : What's a Hibs players working hours?

Fae the capital
29-10-2012, 06:15 PM
Just wondered what tine standard day at em starts and finishes?
I mind mixu and jc on tv talking about how in Britain the hours are pt compared to in Europe.
If u ask me it should b 9-5 with players coming in early and staying late because they want to. All the team should train, eat and chill together in that time.

Haymaker
29-10-2012, 06:34 PM
I dont know if Football is exempt but surely the working hours rules must be a barrier to the hours working.

Also, what would you have them doing 9-5 everyday?

patch1875
29-10-2012, 06:37 PM
A player stays a couple of doors from me he does the school run most days so Probably 10 til 2

Fae the capital
29-10-2012, 06:38 PM
I dont know if Football is exempt but surely the working hours rules must be a barrier to the hours working.

Also, what would you have them doing 9-5 everyday?

Eh, training, hanging out together, extra practice at things each player can improve on.
And a reminder at 455 each evening to stay away from George st!

Fae the capital
29-10-2012, 06:39 PM
A player stays a couple of doors from me he does the school run most days so Probably 10 til 2

That's a farce.
And we wonder why Scottish players are ****.

blackpoolhibs
29-10-2012, 06:44 PM
That's a farce.
And we wonder why Scottish players are ****.

Why, how many hours would you work them? And how long does Lionel Messi train each day?

Fae the capital
29-10-2012, 06:45 PM
Why, how many hours would you work them? And how long does Lionel Messi train each day?

9-5.

Don't know.

blackpoolhibs
29-10-2012, 06:47 PM
9-5.

Don't know.

So you would have them training 8 hours a day. :faf:

Hibercelona
29-10-2012, 06:47 PM

I would set the John Collins standard and have them running up and down Arthurs seat from 9am till 9pm and wouldn't cut them any slack until I saw 6 packs. :cb

Haymaker
29-10-2012, 06:49 PM
Eh, training, hanging out together, extra practice at things each player can improve on.
And a reminder at 455 each evening to stay away from George st!

If they train 9-5 everyday you run the risk of overtraining.

Also a players concentration can only last so long in a demanding environment. There is very good scientific evidence to say that peak physical performance training should be done in strict 45minute sessions.

While I agree that teams should bond, should they bond at the training centre? It runs the risk of psychologically damaging the view of the centre and its main reason for being there - to work, to prepare, to be ready to win.

Fae the capital
29-10-2012, 06:49 PM
So you would have them training 8 hours a day. :faf:

Why's that funny?

What do u do at work for 8 hours a day?

I don't mean physical training, but I'm sure if foreign players manage it so could ours.

Fae the capital
29-10-2012, 06:52 PM

Also a players concentration can only last so long in a demanding environment. There is very good scientific evidence to say that peak physical performance training should be done in strict 45minute sessions.

While I agree that teams should bond, should they bond at the training centre? It runs the risk of psychologically damaging the view of the centre and its main reason for being there - to work, to prepare, to be ready to win.

Yeah, but I don't mean constant physical training, that's just silly, and would cause injuries.
But surely four days a week they could b with each other 9-5 getting away early on a fri?
Not that ridiculous.

HoboHarry
29-10-2012, 06:54 PM
Why's that funny?

I don't mean physical training, but I'm sure if foreign players manage it so could ours.
I would be really surprised if Messi et al train for 8 hours a day. In fact I would be astonished.

Billy Whizz
29-10-2012, 06:54 PM
It's practically in a 7 day week for the modern footballer. Work on a Saturday and usually in for treatment/warm down on the Sunday

HoboHarry
29-10-2012, 06:55 PM
Yeah, but I don't mean constant physical training, that's just silly, and would cause injuries.
But surely four days a week they could b with each other 9-5 getting away early on a fri?
Not that ridiculous.
Doing what when not training? And players do take part in charity stuff, hospital visits etc........

blackpoolhibs
29-10-2012, 06:57 PM
Why's that funny?

What kind of non physical training would you have them doing for the other 4 hours?

And which foreign players work 8 hours a day?

Haymaker
29-10-2012, 06:57 PM
Not that ridiculous.

Not at all ridiculous, however the things they could be doing such as relaxation, visualisation training, match/player analysis would add on extra costs to the club - IIRC the club takes players meals out of their wages, they couldnt afford a full time psychologist to deliver sessions. Sad but true.

Fae the capital
29-10-2012, 07:05 PM
It's practically in a 7 day week for the modern footballer. Work on a Saturday and usually in for treatment/warm down on the Sunday

My heart bleeds

Fae the capital
29-10-2012, 07:06 PM
Doing what when not training? And players do take part in charity stuff, hospital visits etc........

Not going up George st!

Fae the capital
29-10-2012, 07:07 PM
Not at all ridiculous, however the things they could be doing such as relaxation, visualisation training, match/player analysis would add on extra costs to the club - IIRC the club takes players meals out of their wages, they couldnt afford a full time psychologist to deliver sessions. Sad but true.

Didn't know that.

silverhibee
29-10-2012, 07:08 PM
Why's that funny?

Please tell me what foreign clubs are at there training centre from 9-5. :aok:

Fae the capital
29-10-2012, 07:11 PM

Oh for god sake, I don't know or care, just don't see why they can't do working hours like the rest of us.
There's loads of stuff they could do all day that could help that doesn't involve kicking the ball.
It's not my job to think of that is it.
However if Hibs fancy employing me to do so I'd take them up on the idea.

Haymaker
29-10-2012, 07:14 PM

Not many but they DO spend longer training youth players which, if the evidence is to be believed, is the reason why foreign players can look so much better on the ball... :cb

Fae the capital
29-10-2012, 07:20 PM
Not many but they DO spend longer training youth players which, if the evidence is to be believed, is the reason why foreign players can look so much better on the ball... :cb

Exactly

blackpoolhibs
29-10-2012, 07:25 PM

Its not the only reason is it? Better pitches, sunnier climes, better coaches there's a number of reasons foreign players seem to be better.

How long do our youth players train compared to the foreign ones?

Haymaker
29-10-2012, 07:29 PM
Its not the only reason is it? Better pitches, sunnier climes, better coaches there's a number of reasons foreign players seem to be better.

Indeed there are many other reasons, it is true.

I remember seeing something about Southampton kids training about 4-6 hours a week, including game time, and that German clubs were working around 10 hours specific a week with smaller games all the way up to 14/15. Sure someone on here has a kid in Hibs/****/Falkirk/Livingston academy?

Watford and a few other teams are opening the school academies which they hope to match and exceed that time IIRC.

Problem with this approach is simple: Money.

SMAXXA
29-10-2012, 07:30 PM
Agree with the concept of longer hours and do believe players get it too easy, like its been said there are loads of things players could be doing collectivley each day. Get down have brekie, bit training, break for lunch more training doesnt have to be intense but really working on yout next apponents tactics and strenghts and weaknesses. In reaqlity they train Tuesday to Thursday and sometimes in other days doing bits and bobs etc but your no telling me that a few full days a week working on our weaknesses such as the defense of late couldnt be seen as doing everything possible to improve.

Its a 2 way street tho players should doctate and want to be in longer to be the best they possibly can be, especially younger ones.

silverhibee
29-10-2012, 07:31 PM
Oh for god sake, I don't know or care, just don't see why they can't do working hours like the rest of us.
There's loads of stuff they could do all day that could help that doesn't involve kicking the ball.
It's not my job to think of that is it.
However if Hibs fancy employing me to do so I'd take them up on the idea.

I doubt Hbs will be employing you then. :aok:

Fae the capital
29-10-2012, 07:32 PM

Who needs good weather when you have em?

We have a training centre unlike every other team in the spl bar Celtic, we should b taking full advantage.

blackpoolhibs
29-10-2012, 07:33 PM
Indeed there are many other reasons, it is true.

I remember seeing something about Southampton kids training about 4-6 hours a week, including game time, and that German clubs were working around 10 hours specific a week with smaller games all the way up to 14/15. Sure someone on here has a kid in Hibs/****/Falkirk/Livingston academy?

Watford and a few other teams are opening the school academies which they hope to match and exceed that time IIRC.

Problem with this approach is simple: Money.

:agree: Obviously money is tight, but youth football is very important. I'd imagine the kids are so enthusiastic they would train forever, but it has to be the right training, and that costs.

Kojock
29-10-2012, 07:37 PM
I know players who dont start till 3pm and finish around 4.45. What annoys me is that they insist in having a 15 minute break during that time. Saps

silverhibee
29-10-2012, 07:37 PM

Mind you the Chinese train every day of the week, even on match days, most of them didn't look to clever on the ball, and there was a ban on drinking and smoking too. :greengrin

Hope you are safe from Sandy tonight mate. :aok:

silverhibee
29-10-2012, 07:39 PM

I may be wrong here, but i am sure the youth players stay longer at EM than the first team do.

Haymaker
29-10-2012, 07:42 PM
:agree: Obviously money is tight, but youth football is very important. I'd imagine the kids are so enthusiastic they would train forever, but it has to be the right training, and that costs.

100%. Young players are full of energy - but the tire quickly. Training need to be tailored specifically to their age and development level, sometimes I feel that some promising young players have been ruined by coming into the 1st team and performing then joining the 1st team constantly for training and games. For example I would say Wortherspoon was over trained/played by being made right back and consistently starting there.

Haymaker
29-10-2012, 07:43 PM
Mind you the Chinese train every day of the week, even on match days, most of them didn't look to clever on the ball, and there was a ban on drinking and smoking too. :greengrin

Hope you are safe from Sandy tonight mate. :aok:

Could be a classic case of over training there! :greengrin

Cheers, I am on lock down in my hoose, just a bit rainy and quite windy now.

Hibercelona
29-10-2012, 07:44 PM
I've always wondered.

Do players just do physical training each week, or do they actually take extra time to study the last game and analyses their mistakes/weaknesses?

Haymaker
29-10-2012, 07:50 PM
I've always wondered.

Do players just do physical training each week, or do they actually take extra time to study the last game and analyses their mistakes/weaknesses?

It would really depend on the schedule IMO, If you have a game Saturday, Tuesday, Saturday you would pull the physical stuff down to just recovery work and work maybe on set pieces and match analysis.

If you have an international break and no/little internationals then I would expect the players to have a heavy session or two in there.

With match analysis etc, it is heavy number based and very, very boring. Difficult for people to lose concentration and easy for people to dismiss and not take seriously.

hibsbollah
29-10-2012, 07:51 PM
It's a question I've always wanted an answer to. And this thread hasn't provided it (yet:greengrin)

jdships
29-10-2012, 07:54 PM

Good post :agree:

Alex Miller used to tell me that
"' No two players are alike in how much they need to train . Darren Jackson for instance is a naturally fit guy while others have to put in extra hours twice a week . Some have difficulty in controlling their weight , some have to have special training because of inherent muscle problems ( achilles /hamstring) "

For myself I carried an achilles problem in my left foot from around 15/16 and had treatment every day before I went out to kick a ball about and then more after training was over .
Boredom plays a big part at training grounds and the coaches have to devise schemes to keep the players happy in the day to day training schedules .

Training is not just about hours put in it is about the quality of the work YOU put in on the training ground

Beefster
29-10-2012, 07:56 PM
What kind of non physical training would you have them doing for the other 4 hours?

Physics and stellar science. Not enough players understand the physical forces and structures of the universe IMO.

Why would Hibs need a full-time psychologist when they could just get one in for an hour or two once or twice a week?

Fae the capital
29-10-2012, 07:56 PM
I know players who dont start till 3pm and finish around 4.45. What annoys me is that they insist in having a 15 minute break during that time. Saps

Aye right then, who do they play for?

Rangers?

Bostonhibby
29-10-2012, 08:00 PM
Never really had to think about this before but what a good question, I personally think they get it far too easy. They should be running up and down a muddy council owned playing field for at least 8 hours a day every day all chasing the same ball as we can only really afford one. The only break in the monotony should be a mandatory hour for assembling clothes pegs and half an hour to count and double count the coins thrown onto the pitch by away fans that masquerade as wages.:wink:

Haymaker
29-10-2012, 08:02 PM
Why would Hibs need a full-time psychologist when they could just get one in for an hour or two once or twice a week?

Good point, I guess so they would be able to get a better picture of a player, how a player responds to criticism, praise - how a player responds to stimuli to "gee them up" for games better.

You could do the relaxation stuff easily on a couple hours a week.

Viva_Palmeiras
29-10-2012, 08:03 PM
Garry oconnor
Steven Fletcher
and recently iirc on twitter "WelshDogg" and Darren McCormack have stated how they've never been trained so hard. Why were these comments made post-Hibs?

cocopops1875
29-10-2012, 08:04 PM

Rangers?

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSH:greengrin

JohnStephens91
29-10-2012, 08:06 PM
Garry oconnor
Steven Fletcher
and recently iirc on twitter "WelshDogg" and Darren McCormack have stated how they've never been trained so hard. Why were these comments made post-Hibs?

Alan Maybury said something about training at Hibs being physically demanding and very effective, it was said not too long ago either.

.Sean.
29-10-2012, 08:12 PM
Just wondered what tine standard day at em starts and finishes?
I mind mixu and jc on tv talking about how in Britain the hours are pt compared to in Europe.
If u ask me it should b 9-5 with players coming in early and staying late because they want to. All the team should train, eat and chill together in that time.
You getting commission for every thread you start or something mate?!

Haymaker
29-10-2012, 08:13 PM
Alan Maybury said something about training at Hibs being physically demanding and very effective, it was said not too long ago either.

Under this manager. 100% believe that a lot of our problems under CC and others recently is we have not looked fit.

JohnStephens91
29-10-2012, 08:27 PM

I hope not, he might earn enough to buy a few shares in his club

blackpoolhibs
29-10-2012, 08:31 PM
Under this manager. 100% believe that a lot of our problems under CC and others recently is we have not looked fit.

Its funny how Yogi's team were never said to be unfit when sitting 3rd, yet when they were 8th they were?

I personally think its an easy excuse, an easy option that supporters jump on when the teams losing.

Haymaker
29-10-2012, 08:35 PM
Its funny how Yogi's team were never said to be unfit when sitting 3rd, yet when they were 8th they were?

I personally think its an easy excuse, an easy option that supporters jump on when the teams losing.

CC team were defo unfit. Not just poor performances but laboured efforts as well.

Not saying that it was the sole reason we were crap of course but it would be a big factor.

blackpoolhibs
29-10-2012, 08:39 PM
CC team were defo unfit. Not just poor performances but laboured efforts as well.

Gary O'Conner was never fit, Tom Soares kept coming back from injury after injury, the rest were fit as any in the SPL.

They were poor poor players, making a poor poor team imo.

silverhibee
29-10-2012, 08:41 PM

Shares Sean. :wink: :greengrin

Haymaker
29-10-2012, 08:45 PM
Gary O'Conner was never fit, Tom Soares kept coming back from injury after injury, the rest were fit as any in the SPL.

They were poor poor players, making a poor poor team imo.

Fair enough, I disagree that they were as fit as any other team.

There were also poorly organised and poorly led too.

Matty_Jack04
29-10-2012, 08:47 PM
There's not enough work to be done 9-5 every day IMO, I'd think that during the season it will be down to the individual to stay fit/get fitter using a schedule set out for them by the coaches, the day to day stuff will be planning for the weekends game videos, set plays etc maybe a possibility of fitness test type stuff middle of the week.
the manager will set rules to make sure the players know they can't expect to be selected if they drop past a certain level of fitness but wouldn't expect too many hard physical sessions during the season the players will be in the gym in there own time for that.

Also the players finish training and probably head off golfing or something which will be better bonding tHan sitting around board out there minds at E.M

Eyrie
29-10-2012, 10:36 PM
Any idea how much time is currently spent on video work? Not only reviewing our own performances but more importantly looking at recent games for the next opponent to highlight tactics, set piece routines and strengths/weaknesses of their players.

Fae the capital
29-10-2012, 10:55 PM

Sorry, il remember to consult you before I start my next thread!

jgl07
29-10-2012, 11:31 PM

And which foreign players work 8 hours a day?

Well working on technical skills will do for a start.

I recall that Riordan and Fletcher used to work a lot in the afternoons practicing bending free kicks. It is hardly physically demanding but will bring its rewards.

danhibees1875
29-10-2012, 11:42 PM
Funnily enough I've not long finished reading an article relating to Arsenal's double winning season (1997-98) and one of the strategies used by Wenger that helped them on their way to that success was:

"Training sessions: these became short and
less tiring, preserving players' energies."

As I read it I remembered debates like these from previous years. :greengrin

Disclaimer: I'm not saying that alone would help Hibs win the double - we'd also need to sign the next Anelka etc etc

Lucius Apuleius
30-10-2012, 04:19 AM
I agree with the OP. If I can work a 12 hour day for 6 weeks without a day off then so can these lazy lazy bounders. :agree:

Either that or LTYF.

Liams
30-10-2012, 06:42 AM
My mate plays for livi and hes 9-3 4days aweeek

cocopops1875
30-10-2012, 06:57 AM
I work 8 til 4.30 Monday to Friday and sometimes get overtime , just thought I would contribute

Killiehibbie
30-10-2012, 07:13 AM
The biggest improvement I ever saw in a player was Conor Sammon. In the year before he moved from Killie he was in the gym with a personal trainer 4 or 5 hours a week and it certainly paid off, he was even in and finished for 9 am after scoring against Celtic the night before at Parkhead one midweek. Maybe his big money move had nothing to do with this and it was all down to Mixu giving him tips and boosting his confidence. I don't think having players at training centre full time would make much difference to some of them but if the players are prepared to really work at it they get a bit more out of it.

Danderhall Hibs
30-10-2012, 07:15 AM
10-2 would seem accurate to me based on the one I live near.

I don't think it's unrealistic to ask for 930-3, 4* days a week though: train 10-12 in the morning, lunch then 1-3 doing a mixture of gym work, skills, video analysis and community work.

* Wednesday is the traditional day off I think?

Hibs work in the community is pretty poor even in comparison to an amateur organisation like Hearts.

lyonhibs
30-10-2012, 07:26 AM
10-2 would seem accurate to me based on the one I live near.

I don't think it's unrealistic to ask for 930-3, 4* days a week though: train 10-12 in the morning, lunch then 1-3 doing a mixture of gym work, skills, video analysis and community work.

* Wednesday is the traditional day off I think?

Hibs work in the community is pretty poor even in comparison to an amateur organisation like Hearts.

I'm pretty certain this is one of those urban myths. I'm sure some more ITK poster would be able to give you a full list of what Hibs do in the community. We just don't blow our own trumpet about it to the same extent as they always have, which can be seen as a good or a bad thing depending on your perspective.

blackpoolhibs
30-10-2012, 07:31 AM
Well working on technical skills will do for a start.

I recall that Riordan and Fletcher used to work a lot in the afternoons practicing bending free kicks. It is hardly physically demanding but will bring its rewards.

I dont know what the players do in the 4 hours they are at the club, but i'd imagine they are not going for it hell for leather all that time?

Technical skills will be worked on during that time, some may even stay late some days? :wink: Do we know this is not the case?

I think i will trust those who actually know about keeping athletes fit, rather than some random wanting them in for 8 hours a day.

Nobody has come back and told us what clubs train or are at their training grounds 8 hours a day, and how their results are so much better than those clubs who only do 4 hours?

marinello59
30-10-2012, 07:33 AM
Why would football players have set hours? They have to remain fluid depending on what day and time matches are being played, how many matches have been played, what stage the season is at etc. Rest can be just as important as training sometimes. It ain't a nine to five job is it? Forcing players to remain at the training centre just to appease fans who think they should do more hours will do nothing other than breed boredom and resentment.

Danderhall Hibs
30-10-2012, 07:36 AM
I'm pretty certain this is one of those urban myths. I'm sure some more ITK poster would be able to give you a full list of what Hibs do in the community. We just don't blow our own trumpet about it to the same extent as they always have, which can be seen as a good or a bad thing depending on your perspective.

That's based on my opinion of never seeing anything. My daughters school get posters from Hearts, they've had players visiting (from Celtic as well). Then there's the breakfast club tie up Hearts have. Why do we keep our community work secret - or is that the urban myth?

blackpoolhibs
30-10-2012, 07:38 AM
Why would football players have set hours? They have to remain fluid depending on what day and time matches are being played, how many matches have been played, what stage the season is at etc. Rest can be just as important as training sometimes. It ain't a nine to five job is it? Forcing players to remain at the training centre just to appease fans who think they should do more hours will do nothing other than breed boredom and resentment.

:agree: 4 hours is more than enough.

Danderhall Hibs
30-10-2012, 07:39 AM
Based on some of the comments - Does anyone think Usain Bolt training for around 20 seconds a day would make him Olympic Champion?

I bet Olympians and international rugby players for starters train for longer than a couple of hours a day.

Danderhall Hibs
30-10-2012, 07:40 AM
:agree: 4 hours is more than enough.
They don't train for 4 hours a day - their days shorter than a primary school kid!

Speedy
30-10-2012, 07:46 AM

Agree with this.

blackpoolhibs
30-10-2012, 07:46 AM
They don't train for 4 hours a day - their days shorter than a primary school kid!

I would hope they dont train for 4 hours solid a day, that would cripple them. An hour to 90 minutes is quite sufficient for them.

Danderhall Hibs
30-10-2012, 07:48 AM
I would hope they dont train for 4 hours solid a day, that would cripple them. An hour to 90 minutes is quite sufficient for them.

Based on what?

blackpoolhibs
30-10-2012, 07:51 AM
Based on what?

Personal experience.

Danderhall Hibs
30-10-2012, 07:52 AM
Personal experience.

You never made it though- suggesting you never put the hours in...

calumhibee1
30-10-2012, 07:55 AM
I'd be surprised if they train for more than a couple of hours a day, and quite right aswell. Any more than that would be absolutely ridiculous and we'd be getting pumped every weekend because we can't field a team cause of all the injuries or the players would be dead on there feet as soon as they got on the pitch.

Danderhall Hibs
30-10-2012, 07:58 AM
Personal experience.

blackpoolhibs
30-10-2012, 08:02 AM

:greengrin I lived in London Colney near St albans for a few years, and would bump into quite a few Arsenal players on a constant basis. Nigel Winterburn and Steve Bould used to pop in my local frequently and became good friends with them.

I have had this very conversation with them, and they told me an hour to 90 minutes was about the right amount of time to train. An hour on the monday after a weekend game building up over the week.

Professional players are fit, obviously they lose fitness if they are injured and match fitness when suspended. Depending on what the injury is, players will still be in the gym working on parts of the body thats not injured.

4 hours is quite a long time, and some will stay behind to do free kicks and the likes, but they will also be doing them during those 4 hours too.

hibsbollah
30-10-2012, 08:17 AM
Based on the fact that noone here seems to know definitively, maybe it would be a good question for the next LWT meeting with Pat? not from a critical perspective, just out of genuine nosiness?

cabbageandribs1875
30-10-2012, 08:24 AM
Sorry, il remember to consult you before I start my next thread!

60 posts in your first day, impressive :)

derekHFC
30-10-2012, 08:44 AM

Very few from experience

Its not the only reason is it? Better pitches, sunnier climes, better coaches there's a number of reasons foreign players seem to be better. How long do our youth players train compared to the foreign ones?

I'd say about the same.

I may be wrong here, but i am sure the youth players stay longer at EM than the first team do.

The youth players are responsible for such things as blowing up balls, getting drinks and kit ready for their own team and the 1st Team guys. They then have to help out afterwards when tidying up.

Based on what?

The majority of clubs train for between 90 & 120 minutes as they condition your body to be active for that period of time, i.e. the length of a game. There's no point in training for an hour and then you're blowing with half an hour left in the game. This isn't just Hibs who do this, but every professional team i've ever seen train i think and most semi-pro and amateur teams as well.

From my knowledge of pro-football, most teams will train Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday, with matches being on the Saturday. A Wednesday and Sunday will be the days off, with a Sunday sometimes being used as a cool down day or for injuries to be treated. This obviously changes when games are changed or when midweek games are played, but on the whole, these are the usual training days for most senior clubs. The majority of clubs have their players meet at 10:00am and they have the option of coming in earlier for breakfast at the training centre. They will then train 10:30am till 12:30pm and then have their lunch.

Most clubs will have an afternoon session in the gym on a Monday, Tuesday and Thursday and players have the choice to do extra or come in early. They'll also have a session every so often where they'll go over the opposition or their last game, but most of that is done on the training park. I know that a few of the Yams players have started doing yoga lately and some will go to the gym before training.

For anyone to suggest that professional players should work 9am-5pm is either very naive or just on the wind up. I suggest the latter considering the content of some of the postings :rolleyes:

HibbyDave
30-10-2012, 08:49 AM
3 pages of opinion (including mine now!).

The issue as far as I see it is that unfortunately our club is still not transparent enough with the fans. I like the idea of the focus froups/meet the fans etc etc and more needs done like the "open training session" held at ER.

The OP was, i think asking a genuine question. What hours do they put in at their work? Maybe an official answer from the management would help fans understand more about the way professional clubs are working.
:flag::flag:

Dinkydoo
30-10-2012, 08:57 AM

Alone?

That is never enough training time for a profesional athlete.

If however you meant an hour to 90 minutes at full (or near full) intensity with warm up and cool down time afterwards, then I would probably agree with you.

How do I know?

Personal experience training for 2 hours and more 5 days a week; though I'm not a footballer.

Eyrie
30-10-2012, 09:01 AM
The majority of clubs train for between 90 & 120 minutes as they condition your body to be active for that period of time, i.e. the length of a game. There's no point in training for an hour and then you're blowing with half an hour left in the game. This isn't just Hibs who do this, but every professional team i've ever seen train i think and most semi-pro and amateur teams as well.

From my knowledge of pro-football, most teams will train Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday, with matches being on the Saturday. A Wednesday and Sunday will be the days off, with a Sunday sometimes being used as a cool down day or for injuries to be treated. This obviously changes when games are changed or when midweek games are played, but on the whole, these are the usual training days for most senior clubs. The majority of clubs have their players meet at 10:00am and they have the option of coming in earlier for breakfast at the training centre. They will then train 10:30am till 12:30pm and then have their lunch.

Most clubs will have an afternoon session in the gym on a Monday, Tuesday and Thursday and players have the choice to do extra or come in early. They'll also have a session every so often where they'll go over the opposition or their last game, but most of that is done on the training park. I know that a few of the Yams players have started doing yoga lately and some will go to the gym before training.

For anyone to suggest that professional players should work 9am-5pm is either very naive or just on the wind up. I suggest the latter considering the content of some of the postings :rolleyes:
Very interesting - thanks. But based on what you say it seems that there is little film study done in football compared to other sports such as rugby or NFL.

Pretty Boy
30-10-2012, 09:11 AM
Alone?

That is never enough training time for a profesional athlete.

If however you meant an hour to 90 minutes at full (or near full) intensity with warm up and cool down time afterwards, then I would probably agree with you.

How do I know?

Personal experience training for 2 hours and more 5 days a week; though I'm not a footballer.

An hour to 90 mins does seem on the short time to me if that's including warm up and cool down.

I worked with a reasonably well known Scottish boxer for a time during his training and for about 6 weeks solid he would do 3 sessions a day. 2 hours in the morining consisting of warm up, sprints, rope work etc. Early evening would be pads, bag work etc. Then a late evening session of road running and sparring. All whilst holding down a full time job as a plumber.

The maximum time he was ever going to be active in a fight was 36 minutes. He would do a solid 6 weeks at high intensity then wind down for a couple of weeks before fighting when boxing work would come more to the fore. After a fight he'd break for 3 weeks or so then get straight back into it.

Dinkydoo
30-10-2012, 10:08 AM
An hour to 90 mins does seem on the short time to me if that's including warm up and cool down.

I worked with a reasonably well known Scottish boxer for a time during his training and for about 6 weeks solid he would do 3 sessions a day. 2 hours in the morining consisting of warm up, sprints, rope work etc. Early evening would be pads, bag work etc. Then a late evening session of road running and sparring. All whilst holding down a full time job as a plumber.

The maximum time he was ever going to be active in a fight was 36 minutes. He would do a solid 6 weeks at high intensity then wind down for a couple of weeks before fighting when boxing work would come more to the fore. After a fight he'd break for 3 weeks or so then get straight back into it.

For a professional martial artist (if you count Boxing as a MA - I personally would) this is a pretty normal training schedule for a dedicated individual.

I personally train for my own enjoyment without the competition aspect however I still manage approximately 2 hours each day Monday - Friday whilst holding down a part time job and at university 3 days per week. I generally train less over the weekend for recovery and drinking (:greengrin) time - unless I have a special course or additional training session I'm attending.

and I wouldn't classify myself as being particularly fit either; so I'd imagine that a professional footballer (who has quite a high requirement for aeorbic endurance) would be training for more than 1.5 hours each day.

Dav1986
30-10-2012, 10:28 AM

This. That is exactly the reason they don't train solid 9-5 which is a ridiculous question from the OP. They could quite easily do a session in the morning, have lunch and then a 2nd session in the afternoon which is what it appears that livi do after some poster said his mate is there 9-3.

Future17
30-10-2012, 11:41 AM
I work 8 til 4.30 Monday to Friday and sometimes get overtime , just thought I would contribute

I think working too hard/long is affecting your footballing performance. Perhaps you should take a few days off this week ahead of Sunday. :-)

Danderhall Hibs
30-10-2012, 12:11 PM

They get the choice to do the gym sessions?

I'm not at the wind-up BTW - I think 9-5 is too long but see no problem with a morning football session plus an afternoon session of yoga, weights/conditioning or whatever (plus 1 afternoon or evening a week doing Community work).

silverhibee
30-10-2012, 03:15 PM
3 pages of opinion (including mine now!).

The issue as far as I see it is that unfortunately our club is still not transparent enough with the fans. I like the idea of the focus froups/meet the fans etc etc and more needs done like the "open training session" held at ER.

The OP was, i think asking a genuine question. What hours do they put in at their work? Maybe an official answer from the management would help fans understand more about the way professional clubs are working.
:flag::flag:

I think the post above from DerekHFC explains what they do in a week at training, no need to be asking our manager how long the team train for each day or what they do in there time at EM, i pretty much doubt he would even consider answering the question.

Really, 9-5 training everyday, i would say the OP is at the wind up.

jdships
30-10-2012, 03:24 PM
I think the post above from DerekHFC explains what they do in a week at training, no need to be asking our manager how long the team train for each day or what they do in there time at EM, i pretty much doubt he would even consider answering the question.

Really, 9-5 training everyday, i would say the OP is at the wind up.

Having read 90 odd posts am now coming round to sharing your opinion on this :thumbsup:
It has become a rather drawn out and somewhat pointless thread

Time someone found a player to slag off so we can get down to some serious posting :greengrin:wink:

silverhibee
30-10-2012, 03:30 PM
They get the choice to do the gym sessions?

I'm not at the wind-up BTW - I think 9-5 is too long but see no problem with a morning football session plus an afternoon session of yoga, weights/conditioning or whatever (plus 1 afternoon or evening a week doing Community work).

I am pretty sure that they do gym sessions in the week but have the choice to do some extra in the morning or after training has finished.

Have heard of a lot of players now getting in to yoga, remember listening to Brad Friedel talking about how he does yoga and it was very interesting to listen too.

cocopops1875
30-10-2012, 03:48 PM
I think working too hard/long is affecting your footballing performance. Perhaps you should take a few days off this week ahead of Sunday. :-)

Rude:boo hoo:

silverhibee
30-10-2012, 06:12 PM
Having read 90 odd posts am now coming round to sharing your opinion on this :thumbsup:
It has become a rather drawn out and somewhat pointless thread

Time someone found a player to slag off so we can get down to some serious posting :greengrin:wink:

:agree:

Give me a player slagging thread every time. :wink::greengrin

silverhibee
30-10-2012, 08:17 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whnn9ReUV04 :thumbsup:

Saorsa
30-10-2012, 08:19 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whnn9ReUV04 :thumbsup:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpKAA2VxWY8

Bristolhibby
31-10-2012, 11:37 AM

Team bonding over FIFA 13?

J

Kojock
31-10-2012, 11:57 AM

Rangers?

Don't want to say but they were threatening to go on strike because the club refused to pay them overtime when there was an evening match or a Sunday match.