PDA

View Full Version : Let's buy Sparky!

hibsmad
29-10-2012, 03:10 PM
Ok you can all shoot me down for being daft but I thought this was worth looking at.

This thread is following on from a comment in another thread where someone said they had spoke with Petrie before the Dundee match. This person said they mentioned to Petrie that "we need to get Griffiths signed up", or words to that effect. Petrie's response was:

"Get an extra £25 off every fan in the stadium and we will"

So, if we look at it by way of 10 thousand fans required to pay £25 to buy Griffiths then do you think the fans would do it? I hardly get to any games just now due to work but I would still have no hesitation in contributing.

With Christmas coming up and Leigh's loan deal expiring in January, Hibs could even put an Xmas spin on it. Sparky for Christmas! What more could any Hibs fan ask for? Seriously, this guy could be an absolute legend for us if he were to stay and sign a contract. What Hibs fan, who could afford an extra £25, would really refuse?

Hibs agree a deal in principal with Wolves. Hibs appeal to fans to commit to the £25 expense. If by December we have enough fans committing then superb. If not then perhaps refunds could be issued but I would prefer that all money raised went direct to any other transfer/contract Fenlon decided to use it for.

I would imagine that organising something like this may be the biggest problem but I just can't imagine that there wouldn't be 10 thousand hibees willing to do it.

What do you all think?

Franck Stanton
29-10-2012, 03:20 PM
Club could come up with a scheme whereby anyone giving £25 just now will get a voucher which they can present on purchasing next years s/t or buying goods in the Club store next season. May not come up with all the cash, but could go a long way to raising the funds required. Am sure a lot of Hibbys would participate if assurances were given that all funds raised this way would be used to secure Griffiths signature.

Elephant Stone
29-10-2012, 03:21 PM
I reckon Hearts will be lucky to get £250k to help save their club, asking for £250k for a single player is really unlikely to be successful, IMO. I'd contribute if it was likely to be a goer but I just can't see 10,000 people being in favour. Hibs should be buying him anyway, his sell on-ability should lessen the worry of spending money on him.

Thecat23
29-10-2012, 03:24 PM
Club could come up with a scheme whereby anyone giving £25 just now will get a voucher which they can present on purchasing next years s/t or buying goods in the Club store next season. May not come up with all the cash, but could go a long way to raising the funds required. Am sure a lot of Hibbys would participate if assurances were given that all funds raised this way would be used to secure Griffiths signature.

What happens if say we raised the money he signs long term, but then gets sold for a huge profit for the board?!! Do we get a percent on further clubs he Signs for or some profit from the sale? ;)

jonty
29-10-2012, 03:25 PM
What happens if say we raised the money he signs long term, but then gets sold for a huge profit for the board?!! Do we get a percent on further clubs he Signs for or some profit from the sale? ;)

With forward financial thinking like that it has to be asked................Is that you Rod? :greengrin

silverhibee
29-10-2012, 03:31 PM
Ok you can all shoot me down for being daft but I thought this was worth looking at.

This thread is following on from a comment in another thread where someone said they had spoke with Petrie before the Dundee match. This person said they mentioned to Petrie that "we need to get Griffiths signed up", or words to that effect. Petrie's response was:

So, if we look at it by way of 10 thousand fans required to pay £25 to buy Griffiths then do you think the fans would do it? I hardly get to any games just now due to work but I would still have no hesitation in contributing.

With Christmas coming up and Leigh's loan deal expiring in January, Hibs could even put an Xmas spin on it. Sparky for Christmas! What more could any Hibs fan ask for? Seriously, this guy could be an absolute legend for us if he were to stay and sign a contract. What Hibs fan, who could afford an extra £25, would really refuse?

Hibs agree a deal in principal with Wolves. Hibs appeal to fans to commit to the £25 expense. If by December we have enough fans committing then superb. If not then perhaps refunds could be issued but I would prefer that all money raised went direct to any other transfer/contract Fenlon decided to use it for.

I would imagine that organising something like this may be the biggest problem but I just can't imagine that there wouldn't be 10 thousand hibees willing to do it.

What do you all think?

Just a thought, since most fans find it hard enough to get to games because of the prices the club/clubs charge to get in, how about asking the owner of the club to put up the money to buy him, 250k would be nothing to him. :cb

Jack Hackett
29-10-2012, 03:32 PM
I would chip in. I can't contribute by going to games, so this would help assuage my guilt. :greengrin

hibsmad
29-10-2012, 03:45 PM
Just a thought, since most fans find it hard enough to get to games because of the prices the club/clubs charge to get in, how about asking the owner of the club to put up the money to buy him, 250k would be nothing to him. :cb

Maybe the owner doesn't want to. Which to be fair is up to him.

This idea is about asking if us, as fans, would be willing to recognise how important Griffiths could be to us and getting things done ourselves. How much better does it feel being a hibby just now!? It' guys like Griffiths that we need to keep.

If fans are finding it difficult to attend due to prices already then obviously they would not need to contribute. It's not £25 every week though and my feeling is that the vast majority of fans could afford it. It is simply a question of would you be willing to pay £25 to see Griffiths stay on at Hibs? If he just gets better and better and moves elsewhere then the club will benefit from a huge fee which could then be re-invested in the playing squad.

Fans talk about how great it would be if the club was owned by the fans as we could raise our own funds and have a say in how it's spent. Is having a guy like Tom Farmer there for stability while doing things like this not the best of both worlds?

JennaFletcher
29-10-2012, 03:45 PM
Euromillions tomorrow anyone? :greengrin If pigs fly and I win, I will get Sparky signed up on a 10 year deal, boost Petrie out and it will be Queen Jenna Chairperson Extraordinaire. :flag:(I will also make sure that the club shop is revamped to exceedingly high standards and that there are a good quantity of XXXL tops made available throughout the season... I'll also replace fake coke with good coke and a Heineken tap, better pies & chippy chips and boost the school kids catering staff out to be replaced by highly effective/intelligent/fast robots).

...and also anything Hibs related and the colour pink passed off as leisurely 'ladies' wear shall be obliterated as a matter of urgency.

:thumbsup:

...can you tell it's Monday and am having a wee daydream to masel?

silverhibee
29-10-2012, 03:49 PM
Euromillions tomorrow anyone? :greengrin If pigs fly and I win, I will get Sparky signed up on a 10 year deal, boost Petrie out and it will be Queen Jenna Chairperson Extraordinaire. :flag:(I will also make sure that the club shop is revamped to exceedingly high standards and that there are a good quantity of XXXL tops made available throughout the season... I'll also replace fake coke with good coke and a Heineken tap, better pies & chippy chips and boost the school kids catering staff out to be replaced by highly effective/intelligent/fast robots).

...and also anything Hibs related and the colour pink passed off as leisurely 'ladies' wear shall be obliterated as a matter of urgency.

That could tempt Gaz back though. :greengrin

JennaFletcher
29-10-2012, 03:52 PM
That could tempt Gaz back though. :greengrin

:rotflmao::top marks

you know what kind of Coke I meant :greengrin ... not the Gaz kind!

NORTHERNHIBBY
29-10-2012, 03:54 PM
How about the club buying Sparky and the fans repaying the club by purchasing 2,000 half season tickets in response??

QMU-1875
29-10-2012, 03:59 PM
Would definitely contribute toward this. £25 per person is a very small price to pay considering the implications it could have. It could well be the difference between a good season and a spectacular one, theres something about hibs and griffiths this season that has been very exciting, cant help but feel theres good times ahead for both hibs and griffiths!
:flag:

hibsmad
29-10-2012, 04:01 PM
How about the club buying Sparky and the fans repaying the club by purchasing 2,000 half season tickets in response??

This club doesn't do "speculate to accumulate".

This isn't about the fans helping the club or thanking the club for anything. It's about the fans helping themselves. Let's not be annoyed/angry/upset when he leaves. Let's see to it ourselves that he stays!

Steviethebear
29-10-2012, 04:04 PM
Can we not sign him on a Pre contract come Jan as his contract with Wolves ends in June?

hibsmad
29-10-2012, 04:10 PM
Can we not sign him on a Pre contract come Jan as his contract with Wolves ends in June?

Possibly, I'm not sure if Petrie was referring to money required for a fee or the shortfall on his wages.

I wouldn't imagine we are paying all of his wages just now so although we may not need to pay a fee he would possibly be looking for a signing on fee. Let's face it there will be other clubs with bigger budgets than Hibs looking to sign him.

Vini1875
29-10-2012, 04:37 PM
I would guess wages would be the stumbling block here. I believe Hibs would make money from buying and then selling Leigh in a few years, but it is a gamble.

Assuming Leigh is happy to sign for Hibs of course.

PeeJay
29-10-2012, 04:37 PM
What do you all think?

I think Hibs fans contribute enough already by way of season tickets and the expenses involved in the whole merchandising con without having to fork up (voluntarily) some extra money to help the club buy a player -

If the club and those in charge have any ambition they would invest in the club - in this case - by procuring the funds to keep "Sparky" at ER (there have also been sufficient instances at ER in the past of players being allowed to go...) - personally, I don't think those in charge at the club have any genuine ambition regarding the playing side - something reflected in the amount of time we spend near the top of the league, in Europe, or the championships and cups we win.

Ultrabee1-0
29-10-2012, 04:46 PM
I would put in 25 quid to sign him, but say 20? Plus the club will be making a bomb on the new buy a brick? Also the season ticket idea is good if hibs get 2'000 half season tickets this christmas and say 20 quid of even 8 and a half 9 thousands fans we could easily get the boy on a deal!

Jim44
29-10-2012, 04:46 PM
A nice thought, but, lets face it, not the sort of thing that a proud Petrie with his financial and business acumen would ever sanction.

Mon Dieu4
29-10-2012, 04:50 PM

if i won the euros id buy Hibs and id be worse than Vlad, id be owner, chairman and manager!!

sorry Sparky I've decided your benched today im playing upfront on my own haha

HibeeN
29-10-2012, 05:24 PM
if i won the euros id buy Hibs and id be worse than Vlad, id be owner, chairman and manager!!

sorry Sparky I've decided your benched today im playing upfront on my own haha

You just want to use that YLT celebration you've been saving for years! :greengrin

Mon Dieu4
29-10-2012, 05:34 PM
You just want to use that YLT celebration you've been saving for years! :greengrin

haha you better believe it!! scary thing is you know im daft enough to do it all

Fae the capital
29-10-2012, 05:36 PM

What do you all think?

Or our multi millionaire owner could buy him for about half a mil

FifeHibernian
29-10-2012, 05:41 PM
I would pay the money.

Keep questions and stuff to this thread but start another thread where people comment only if they'd definately
commit to paying and you'll get a good idea of the number of people who're up for it.

Each reply would equal 25 quid.

Some might be put off by the idea that there won't be enough contributions so we need to encourage them. We
could set targets with our thread comments - "I'll spend 25 quid if we reach 1000 replies". This would motivate others to
push it up to that 1000 with the guarantee that if only a few hundred are up for spending the money then they've not made
a false promise or chucked money away.

It's important to realise it's not a donation either! You could spend the 25 quid on whatever you want.. A Scarf, a Flag..

Hope this is helpful and hope this works :thumbsup:

Scouse Hibee
29-10-2012, 05:48 PM
We pay enough, get Sparky to factor it in to his signing on fee/wages!

SMAXXA
29-10-2012, 06:08 PM
A nice thought, but, lets face it, not the sort of thing that a proud Petrie with his financial and business acumen would ever sanction.

The best thing is Rod actually really does see this as an option, he said that to me a month or so ago. Dont get me wrong I dont care how we go about it and would contribute more than likley.

Knowing Rod he will have a clause in the deal that the fans who contribute to buy him have to pay his wages aswell :greengrin

silverhibee
29-10-2012, 06:13 PM
I would pay the money.

Keep questions and stuff to this thread but start another thread where people comment only if they'd definately
commit to paying and you'll get a good idea of the number of people who're up for it.

Each reply would equal 25 quid.

Some might be put off by the idea that there won't be enough contributions so we need to encourage them. We
could set targets with our thread comments - "I'll spend 25 quid if we reach 1000 replies". This would motivate others to
push it up to that 1000 with the guarantee that if only a few hundred are up for spending the money then they've not made
a false promise or chucked money away.

It's important to realise it's not a donation either! You could spend the 25 quid on whatever you want.. A Scarf, a Flag..

Hope this is helpful and hope this works :thumbsup:

I won't be commenting on the other thread then, i buy a ST which i am led to believe is for bringing in players each year, that's what we are told that all money will go to the manager to enhance the squad, if the manager is happy to spend it all on bringing in Sparky then fine.
Even if the money was to be raised to buy him, where is the money going to come from to pay his wages, is he going to take a pay cut to come to Hibs to be a Hibs player, or if he keeps this form up then i am sure other clubs will be looking to buy him in January who can pay him decent wages, remember he has a big family to look after and the bigger wages from another club might sway him to move elsewhere. :aok:

allezsauzee
29-10-2012, 06:14 PM
I'm not convinced we'll have the option to buy him for that long. I think Celtic will try to sign him and there's no way we'll come close to matching their salary offer

Fae the capital
29-10-2012, 06:17 PM
I'm not convinced we'll have the option to buy him for that long. I think Celtic will try to sign him and there's no way we'll come close to matching their salary offer

If hooper goes in jan that could b a possibility.
I hope he signs a 4 yr deal with us, hel get his big move eventually.

allezsauzee
29-10-2012, 06:21 PM
We just need to be creative. Get him on three year deal and agree to let him go with a portion of the transfer fee after 18 months or something like that. Playing in a league winning Hibs side before he makes his big money has to have some appeal to him :greengrin

NotoriousLor
29-10-2012, 06:21 PM
There's already celtic fans sucking up to sparky on twitter after every game, like they already expect him to be signing for them come Jan

essexhibee
29-10-2012, 06:35 PM
As I have said previously ten year contract please :aok:.

I may be hoping in vain but the I reckon Sparky knows he is loved by hibs fans...has the potential to go on and be a great and be fondly remembered at this club for years to come. Hopefully that would be enough of an incentive to come but then again money talks. Not that he could be blamed for that as a motive for a move somewhere...

Hibeesforever
29-10-2012, 06:38 PM
I am in, Hibs don't do begging but those that can should give a bit more.
An online consortium to sponsor Sparky's boots or just walk into reception, hand in a cheque with a written letter stating that the money can only be spent by Hibernian FC if Sparky is signed on a permanent deal.
Fan power, give your donation with legal terms attached!!!
In fact, I am going to do this tomorrow!

:flag::flag:

Alternative, is for each ST holder to encourage a wayward believer back to ER. A gate of 16,000 would have the desired effect.

Hibeesmad
29-10-2012, 06:53 PM
We should have taken him for 100k when Mick McCarthy was at wolves!

Fae the capital
29-10-2012, 06:53 PM
We should have taken him for 100k when Mick McCarthy was at wolves!

Or we could just take him for the same price in jan.

Hibeesmad
29-10-2012, 06:54 PM
Who would be on more wages mcpake or griffiths?

Hibeesmad
29-10-2012, 06:56 PM
Or we could just take him for the same price in jan.

But I'm sure we will have much more competition in January

Hibeesmad
29-10-2012, 06:58 PM
Anyway, griffiths last game before the end of his loan spell is hearts at tynecastle. Hopefully he stays on with us but if not hopefully he gets a hattrick and a win in that game!!!!!

Manxhibs
29-10-2012, 07:24 PM
What about a kind of share scheme, we invest £25 for a small percentage of the profit?

jonny
30-10-2012, 04:14 AM
Fenlon in this mornings paper saying he‘s opened talks to extend Sparkys loan till the end of the season. Says hes hoping to do the same with Claros and McGivern as well. Here‘s hoping.....

Aritch
30-10-2012, 05:48 AM
How about setting up a kickstarter project that people could donate to.

Depending on your donation, you receive a certain reward.

That way, any really wealthy hibbies could pay more than the 25.

Get andy Murray to bung in a grand or two.

marinello59
30-10-2012, 05:52 AM
The best way to increase revenue? Go to the games.

shagpile
30-10-2012, 06:17 AM
10.000 fans paying £25 each. Sounds easy. What about the families? Dad, mum & the kids? £100 + from one household?

hibsmad
30-10-2012, 07:22 AM
10.000 fans paying £25 each. Sounds easy. What about the families? Dad, mum & the kids? £100 + from one household?

This would be too much for most families and if it was then they would just contribute £25, if they could afford that. I was referring more to the possibility of 10 thousand adult fans paying the money.

I think that for the idea to go anywhere then there has too be an overwhelming support for it with plenty people saying "if it guarantees Griffiths signature then off course I'd pay!"

As far as I can see so far, although the vast majority seem to say that they would pay £25 (think only a couple have suggested otherwise), there still hasn't been the resoundingly positive response I was hoping for which may have made it something worth approaching the club about.

We may still sign Leigh, but I just hope that we don't lose him for the sake of a couple of hundred thousand and then have to endure various flops being brought in for the next 3+ seasons.

Cabbage East
30-10-2012, 07:32 AM
Fenlon in this mornings paper saying he‘s opened talks to extend Sparkys loan till the end of the season. Says hes hoping to do the same with Claros and McGivern as well. Here‘s hoping.....

Link?

Which paper?

Thecat23
30-10-2012, 07:57 AM
With forward financial thinking like that it has to be asked................Is that you Rod? :greengrin

Damn i've been rumbled :wink:

jonty
30-10-2012, 08:34 AM
The best way to increase revenue? Go to the games.

Or an extra 2500 people at 4 homes games. :agree:

If we were a sell out every home game, then we'd be laughing, but we're not there yet. We're on the road there, but still some way off.
Home gates are increasing and long may it continue.

Getting a mate or two along to a game is more cost effective for a family. Beside - mum and kids take up room in the pub :greengrin

Scouse Hibee
30-10-2012, 08:52 AM
Link?

Which paper?

The Metro.