PDA

View Full Version : 21 years ago today

Barney McGrew
27-10-2012, 07:18 AM
Hibs 2 Dunfermline 0 in the League Cup Final.

What a day that was.

BroxburnHibee
27-10-2012, 07:24 AM

What a day that was.

It was quite a good night as well :greengrin

green viper
27-10-2012, 07:24 AM

What a day that was.what aweekend that was best mates son born on the friday got engaged on the saturday we won the cup on the sunday i know which day was the best ha ha

MSK
27-10-2012, 07:36 AM
It was quite a good night as well :greengrinI was on night shift that night when I worked wi Tennents, I couldnt take a sickie either as my Father in law was my gaffer ...absolutley gutted I was working with beer & I couldnt even ****ing celebrate !!!!!! :boo hoo:

marinello59
27-10-2012, 07:36 AM
I was in a blind panic the day before the game thinking that the ship I was on wouldn't make it back to the UK in time. When we got alongside I did my quickest engine room handover ever --'Here's the log book, the engine is down there'---- before legging it to the station and heading to Glasgow.
Pay at the gate as well, imagine that happening for a cup final now.

BroxburnHibee
27-10-2012, 07:39 AM
I was in a blind panic the day before the game thinking that the ship I was on wouldn't make it back to the UK in time. When we got alongside I did my quickest engine room handover ever --'Here's the log book, the engine is down there'---- before legging it to the station and heading to Glasgow.
Pay at the gate as well, imagine that happening for a cup final now.

Pay at the gate is the reason we had 40000 hibbies there that day.

My faither made a last minute decision to go with his brother - didn't know he had been till we bumped into each other that night :greengrin

Leith was bouncing that night :thumbsup:

Lucius Apuleius
27-10-2012, 07:39 AM
Stuck on a ship and missed it. Wife and kids there though. ******* have seen Hibs lift trophies. I haven't.

Hibrandenburg
27-10-2012, 07:41 AM
I was sat on a mountain top on the Falklands with my fingers in my ears and hoping that I'd get the video sent to me before I heard the result.

MSK
27-10-2012, 07:42 AM
Pay at the gate is the reason we had 40000 hibbies there that day.

My faither made a last minute decision to go with his brother - didn't know he had been till we bumped into each other that night :greengrin

Leith was bouncing that night :thumbsup:Wi a good few locked out tae ...:agree:

HH81
27-10-2012, 07:52 AM
My first ever Hibs game and I got in :-)

Was only 10 but remember the whole day well.

StevieT
27-10-2012, 08:05 AM
Alan Fraser, who took my mum and dad to the game in his car, sadly died at Hampden that day when the penalty was awarded.

H18sry
27-10-2012, 08:20 AM
I was based in Gibraltar and was struggling for flights off the rock, so ended up blagging a seat in the back off of Hercules transporter plane [strange feeling flying and sitting with your back against the fuselage] to Brize Norton, then I had to hitch a lift to Bristol and a train back up to Edinburgh, on the Monday I was meant to go back but flights to Gib were only a couple of times a week,so it was Wednesday before I returned, 7 day jankers ensued afterwards but it was well worth it. I even bought a commemorative cup winners T-shirt outside the club and the Geezer in his rush to get them printed had spelt Dunfermline [Dumfermline] wrong. :greengrin

Davy Mac
27-10-2012, 08:48 AM
Just got in as the doors were locking behind me.

What an emotional day and although we were playing against the Pars that day underneath it all it was all about our survival and to get it right up everything jambo at that time.....and still is..:-)

Leith was just the place to be after it too...:-)

Viva_Palmeiras
27-10-2012, 08:57 AM
It was quite a good night as well :greengrin

Ended up in Negotiants (downstairs). Doormen around town were strict on colours iirc. All of a sudden undercover Hibbies sprung up and into voice. I started a conga through the restaurant upstairs got half way through and was told "you can't do this" so turned around and conga'd downstairs again to the stairs to continue singing Hibs songs.
Lost my scarf but gained a Sombrero that night!

Magic that's what being a Hibby is all about sticking with it and savouring the infrequent cup wins.

Koom
27-10-2012, 09:39 AM
....left Dalkeith at 9am!!.....went to a pub in motherwell, and arrived to late to get in!!...nightmare, had to watch match in a nearby pub...great night though, what i remember:greengrin

Hibernia Na Eir
27-10-2012, 09:54 AM
was in Clyde supporters club pre match. extremely busy with hibbies and, strangely, a few Pars fans too. I recall speaking to a couple of them before ko and they weren't confident in the slightest.
Was difficult to move inside Hampden, so tightly were we packed in. An amazing day was finished off with that glorious walk along Prinny watching the bus and it was sheer bedlam around the old Woolies ,opp Balmoral.

Sweet Left Peg
27-10-2012, 09:55 AM
...was my 11th birthday. Happy Birthday Me!!!

EdinMike
27-10-2012, 10:02 AM
Pssst... 47 years ago tomorrow Franck Sauzée was born... :flag:

Cauld Bovril
27-10-2012, 10:12 AM
was in Clyde supporters club pre match. extremely busy with hibbies and, strangely, a few Pars fans too. I recall speaking to a couple of them before ko and they weren't confident in the slightest.
Was difficult to move inside Hampden, so tightly were we packed in. An amazing day was finished off with that glorious walk along Prinny watching the bus and it was sheer bedlam around the old Woolies ,opp Balmoral.

Clyde supporters club was fantastic, the place was rocking.
We were one of the last buses back to Edinburgh and i still get tingles thinking about seeing the streets lined with Hibbys as we arrived back.

Hiber-nation
27-10-2012, 10:30 AM
I remember starting a chant of "There's only one Alex Miller" on the terracing when we were waiting for them to go up and lift the Cup. A couple of fans even joined in :greengrin

lucky
27-10-2012, 10:42 AM
My best day ever as a Hibbie. Game was not that great. But returning to Edinburgh was unbelievable. Streets lined from Marbury to Leith. Ended up in Fingers piano bar. Great night.

Malthibby
27-10-2012, 10:53 AM
[QUOTE=Davy Mac;3391043]Just got in as the doors were locking behind me.

Same here, felt terrible about the guys who didn't get in, but hey, what a day. Still think Hampden then was much better than now, even without a roof
at that end.

Part/Time Supporter
27-10-2012, 10:54 AM

Dunfermline were honking that season, ended up getting relegated by miles. Hibs perhaps caught a break with the dodgy refereeing decision in the other semi (at Tynecastle) that helped put them through at Airdrie's expense.

O'Rourke3
27-10-2012, 10:56 AM
Remember it all as I didn't have a drink all day, not through any odd reason, just didn't get the opportunity. Pre mobile phones. My lift to Hampden from Mid Calder was via my mates girlfriend, who I'd never met(and who had never been to football in her life) due to meet outside the ground - never happened. Ran into some other ER regulars and went in in plenty time. Didn't find out till much later there were 100's locked out. Run home from same lady now really peed because she hadn't met up with said mate. I decided that going into Edinburgh may mean not getting home for 2 or 43 days so had a celebratory chippy and watched the video. Alex Miller's Green and white army indeed.
:flag:

Saorsa
27-10-2012, 11:17 AM
Was difficult to move inside Hampden, so tightly were we packed in. An amazing day was finished off with that glorious walk along Prinny watching the bus and it was sheer bedlam around the old Woolies ,opp Balmoral.I was in there too, I was the one with the green & white wig and green and white face :hilarious Travelled through on the IEC bus, what a day. Have tae say I enjoyed that final better than the 2007 one. Best day at the fitba ever for me until we win that other cup.

Eyrie
27-10-2012, 12:05 PM
My twenty second birthday, and one hell of a day. At Hampden for the game (only missed the Ayr match in our run to the final) and saw the open top bus at Picardy Place on our way to a Wolfsbane gig in the evening.

fatbloke
27-10-2012, 12:32 PM
Alan Fraser, who took my mum and dad to the game in his car, sadly died at Hampden that day when the penalty was awarded.

Remember Alan well when he worked for Nimmo's, lovely guy.

iwasthere1972
27-10-2012, 01:48 PM
I was living in Guernsey at the time and watched the game on Sky. For some reason I seem to remember that they were showing an Italian game before ours and that the game wasn't shown live. There was something like half an hour or an hour behind the actual kick off time.

JohnStephens91
27-10-2012, 02:11 PM
I was born on October 4th that year, so I was 23 days old when Murdo lifted the trophy

Hibeesforever
27-10-2012, 02:46 PM
Was there close to the half-way line. Train through and was then one of the first Hibbees to arrive back at Waverley. Seem to remember the Statute of Sherlock Holmes opposite the Barmoral being draped in a scarf and holding a Beck's beer....Hibs class, would love to experience a day like that again.

Saorsa
27-10-2012, 02:53 PM
Was there close to the half-way line. Train through and was then one of the first Hibbees to arrive back at Waverley. Seem to remember the Statute of Sherlock Holmes opposite the Barmoral being draped in a scarf and holding a Beck's beer....Hibs class, would love to experience a day like that again.http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b168/jamie1971/sherlock.jpg

.Sean.
27-10-2012, 02:55 PM
what aweekend that was best mates son born on the friday got engaged on the saturday we won the cup on the sunday i know which day was the best ha ha

Is your best mate initials DM? My mate was born the day of the Skol final too.

PatHead
27-10-2012, 03:00 PM
Great day. Remember coming back past the Roseburn Bar with the bus bouncing and all having a great laugh at their expense. Then past the Hearts Club at Haymarket. There was a pathetic crowd of the giving us the vikkies. The Duke of Wellington and Sherlock Holmes both had the colours on that night. Great day and night.