PDA

View Full Version : Who would be a referee?

theonlywayisup
27-10-2012, 07:08 AM
Whilst we are obviously chuffed with last nights result, can you imagine what we would have been saying if it was the other way round and the ref had disallowed a clear Hibs goal and given the opposition two debatable penalties? We would have claiming bias or incompetence. Can you imagine if it was Thomson who was the ref?

Luckily they went our way and for each, you can see why the ref made the decision he made.

The ball was clearly over the line, but you cannot blame the ref if he did not have clear sight of this. The linesman will be in better position, but he has only a split second to make his decision. If you don't know, you cannot guess it one way or the other.
For the first penalty, their keeper was blocking Sparky from getting the ball, but that happens all the time and no penalty was given. I say, well done the ref for doing this. From behind the goals it looked more a penalty, but as I say many other times this happens and no penalty is given.
The second Hibs penalty was clearly outside the box. However, the ref only has a split second to make his decision and again it went our way.

The point of this post - to highlight how difficult being a referee is. When they go your way, you just accept them. When they go against you, it is bias and incompetence. In reality, they have a difficult job to do.

lucky
27-10-2012, 07:13 AM
The ref had a nightmare along with his two assistants. They also got a soft pen and we got pulled up for offside in the first half when Spoony had a chance to square it for 2-0. Higdon could easily been sent off for the tackle on Tawio but did not even get booked but was subsequently booked later on. So whilst we got big decisions they also got some

Jones28
27-10-2012, 07:53 AM
Even of the ref does get all his decisions correct last night hibs still would've won 1-3 IMHO, the first penalty was correctly given.

Golden Bear
27-10-2012, 07:56 AM
Even of the ref does get all his decisions correct last night hibs still would've won 1-3 IMHO, the first penalty was correctly given.

:agree:

Stonewaller in fact

basehibby
27-10-2012, 08:02 AM
:agree: 1st Pen was a good decision all day and all night!

Don't blame them for being upset about their "goal" though and our second pen just served to rub salt into the wound (especially after blasting their own over the bar).

We just have to be happy that lady luck smiled on us - we were the better team but there was never 4 goals in it.

english_hibee
27-10-2012, 08:18 AM
That's football for you, swings and roundabouts. We've had our fair share of bad decisions in the past, and we will have our fair share over the coming season. Think we just need to remember the events of tonight when that happens. There's a vast difference between a few lucky calls like tonight, and blatant referee bias (ie, Thompson). Like others have said, would still have been 3-1 without the second penalty and with their goal being allowed (and then I wouldve won my bet.....!)

Bristolhibby
27-10-2012, 09:07 AM
:agree:

Stonewaller in fact

If you look at the replay, apart from the pushing, the goalie clips Leigh's heel, so happy with that decision.

J

NORTHERNHIBBY
27-10-2012, 09:19 AM
IMO the referee did us a few favours last night, but you just take what you get and move on. Last weekend, the referee gave Ross County a real home performance. So within the space of seven days, things have evened out. I would not have grumbled if we had taken two points from two away games, so to get three is a bonus.

Holmesdale Hibs
27-10-2012, 09:34 AM
I've done a couple of halves as linesman for Sunday league games and it gave me a real appreciation of how difficult the job is. How can you tell if a guy is offside when the ball is played when your watching the guy playing the ball? I imagine the difficulty increases with the quality of the league. Fair play to the guys that do it, it's a thankless task.

As for yesterday, I agree our first penalty was stonewall (although no need for the keeper to commit a foul), our second was outside the box and their goal was over the line. But i don't think we're not generally a 'lucky' team and I think we made our own luck yesterday by playing well.

Golden Bear
27-10-2012, 09:47 AM
In a court of law the verdict on their disallowed goal would have been "not proven". It certainly LOOKED as though the ball crossed the line but the linesman's view was impaired by the line of Williams's body and although the TV shots suggested that the ball was over the line, they still never came up with an angle which actually proved that it was.

The most telling factor was the angle that the 'keeper appeared to claw the ball back from behind him but even that was not conclusive as his starting position was a few feet in front of the goal line.

Aye ok then --------------- I suppose I'm clutching at straws and it was a goal.

Nae luck Motherwell!

:na na: