PDA

View Full Version : Is this the answer to football's ills?

--------
25-10-2012, 06:23 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20078528

"An MP has suggested that football fans should switch their support to non-league clubs because of the high cost of tickets in the Premier League. Liberal Democrat President Tim Farron .... who represents Westmorland and Lonsdale in Cumbria, cites Chelsea and West Ham as examples of high pricing, where the cheapest matchday tickets cost £41 and £36 respectively. He believes supporting non-League teams, such as Kendal Town and Barrow, 'will boost community football whilst also bringing collective consumer pressure on the top teams to reduce their prices' ..."

Discuss. :cb

HH81
25-10-2012, 06:25 PM
I watched Halifax (local team) other night and they charged me 13 quid in.

Non league seems over priced too as the game was shocking.

nonshinyfinish
25-10-2012, 06:29 PM
If he thinks you can switch your allegiance just like that, then he knows f***-all about football. I have every respect for people who follow lower division/non-league teams, but don't tell me that a lifelong emotional connection ought just to disappear because top-level football now involves unhealthy sums of money.

nonshinyfinish
25-10-2012, 06:30 PM
I watched Halifax (local team) other night and they charged me 13 quid in.

Non league seems over priced too as the game was shocking.

A very good point. I go to see Cambridge United now and then - £15 for a dreadful standard of football. Usually a decent atmosphere though.

iwasthere1972
25-10-2012, 06:36 PM

"An MP has suggested that football fans should switch their support to non-league clubs because of the high cost of tickets in the Premier League. Liberal Democrat President Tim Farron .... who represents Westmorland and Lonsdale in Cumbria, cites Chelsea and West Ham as examples of high pricing, where the cheapest matchday tickets cost £41 and £36 respectively. He believes supporting non-League teams, such as Kendal Town and Barrow, 'will boost community football whilst also bringing collective consumer pressure on the top teams to reduce their prices' ..."

Not that easy. Be like asking Hibs fans to go and watch Spartans.

MP's. They should stick to what they are paid to do. Whatever that may be.

SouthamptonHibs
25-10-2012, 07:01 PM
Don't agree with the MP about swiching teams. I watch Pompey down here and prices have dropped from £38 in EPL down to £20 in div one in three seasons. Attendances have only dropped by 5,000 in that time which is partly down to poor away supports in div one.
Watching Pompey is good value for money just now plus atmospher good.

SouthamptonHibs
25-10-2012, 07:04 PM
Maybe the big Premier league teams (expecially London based teams) just need to go through a double relegation to get gate prices down to respectable levels for fans....

LancashireHibby
25-10-2012, 07:07 PM
£15+ is the norm in Blue Square Premier now and £12ish even in Conference North. I frequently watch North West Counties League games which is only a fiver, but you're talking 3/4 leagues below those mentioned by the MP.

Pretty Boy
25-10-2012, 07:09 PM
I'm going to Hibs v Motherwell on Friday night for £22, I'm going to Newcastle v West Brom on Saturday for £26. I know what one I'd rather be at but equally I know what one is better value for money.

The EPL charges the prices it does because it can, the demand is there. Leagues such as the SPL, League One et al have to charge the price they do to try and keep up. In saying that some of the EPL prices, including the one I've given, are actually decent value for money.

LancashireHibby
25-10-2012, 07:11 PM
I'm going to Hibs v Motherwell on Friday night for £22, I'm going to Newcastle v West Brom on Saturday for £26. I know what one I'd rather be at but equally I know what one is better value for money.

The EPL charges the prices it does because it can, the demand is there. Leagues such as the SPL, League One et al have to charge the price they do to try and keep up. In saying that some of the EPL prices, including the one I've given, are actually decent value for money.
You've landed quite lucky there then - I've been to 3 Bolton away games this season and it was £24 at both Wolves and Birmingham and £30(!) at Burnley. Even Middlesbrough are charging BWFC fans £27 on Saturday!

HH81
25-10-2012, 07:40 PM
You've landed quite lucky there then - I've been to 3 Bolton away games this season and it was £24 at both Wolves and Birmingham and £30(!) at Burnley. Even Middlesbrough are charging BWFC fans £27 on Saturday!

To be fair Burnley v Bolton is both clubs biggest game of the season.

LancsHibs
25-10-2012, 07:48 PM
To be fair Burnley v Bolton is both clubs biggest game of the season.

Burnley v Blackburn much much bigger!

HH81
25-10-2012, 07:49 PM

I bet both derbies are in the same price bracket...ie the top one.

heretoday
25-10-2012, 07:54 PM
I'm all for supporting football's lesser lights........c'mon the Hearts!

Jonnyboy
25-10-2012, 08:27 PM
Hun followers are half way there already :wink:

nairn hibee
25-10-2012, 08:43 PM
could do worse than watch nairn for £8 .one trophy in the bag allready, and 3rd round of the scottish cup, and kids 12 and under get in free

--------
25-10-2012, 08:53 PM
If he thinks you can switch your allegiance just like that, then he knows f***-all about football. I have every respect for people who follow lower division/non-league teams, but don't tell me that a lifelong emotional connection ought just to disappear because top-level football now involves unhealthy sums of money.

That was my reaction, nsf.

But as a Liberal MP and President of the party, he's more or less living in the Twilight Zone already.

And as a Liberal he probably doesn't see anything wrong with changing his allegiance whenever it suits him - one minute they're shacked up with Labour, next minute they're cosying up to the Tories.

I suppose he'd reckon I should go watch Airdrie United or Albion Rovers ...

... NOT GOING TO HAPPEN! :flag:

ballengeich
25-10-2012, 08:54 PM
Juniors at £5 are good value. I recommend them to anyone who's looking for something to do this Saturday afternoon after being at Motherwell on Friday evening.

Bishop Hibee
25-10-2012, 09:01 PM
I think I liked it better in the '80's when MP's wanted football fans locked up :rolleyes: Political opportunism in the raw. He'll move on to whatever is the next flavour of the month e.g. devil dogs for his next soundbite.

Lots of football fans who have a smaller more local team go and see them on occasion as well as watching their "real" team. I used to go and see Bishop Auckland sometimes when I lived there. The standard was poor but the banter was great and the bar had the cheapest prices in town :party:

basehibby
25-10-2012, 09:22 PM

I think he has a point but it should be more directed at the glory hunting couch potatoes who "support" the big glamour clubs via sky tv. I'm continually perplexed at various, from what I can see, plastic fans indulging themselves with a big YYYYEEEEEESSSS when their adopted glamour club (pick from ManU,ManC,Chelski,Arsenal etc) scores a goal on Ziteilli - I take a fairly scornful view of them as they are the definition of pathetic glory hunters IMO. If these people along with the myriad of OF glory hunters dotted around the small towns of Scotland got their lazy erses down to their local clubs on a regular basis then I guarantee that the football map would be changed dramatically - and for the better IMO.

HH81
25-10-2012, 09:26 PM
I think he has a point but it should be more directed at the glory hunting couch potatoes who "support" the big glamour clubs via sky tv. I'm continually perplexed at various, from what I can see, plastic fans indulging themselves with a big YYYYEEEEEESSSS when their adopted glamour club (pick from ManU,ManC,Chelski,Arsenal etc) scores a goal on Ziteilli - I take a fairly scornful view of them as they are the definition of pathetic glory hunters IMO. If these people along with the myriad of OF glory hunters dotted around the small towns of Scotland got their lazy erses down to their local clubs on a regular basis then I guarantee that the football map would be changed dramatically - and for the better IMO.

Top post.

Pretty Boy
25-10-2012, 09:29 PM

Agree 100%.

There's a couple of teams I like to see winning but its Hibs I support. Can't even get close to getting as passionate about another team even if I wanted to.

The number of my mates who 'support' Arsenal, City, United, Chelsea or even Inter is a joke.

Hibercelona
25-10-2012, 11:09 PM
He's right.

I'm going to go and switch my loyalty to Rangers now. :aok:

LancashireHibby
26-10-2012, 07:56 AM
Would be surprised if that actually translates in the crowd figures though - there were 18,407 at Turf Moor on the opening day, which is 6,000 less than even when they played Blackpool last weekend! Bolton games at Ewok are usually their biggest crowd of the season as well. They just like to play up the Dingle Derby because they have a chance of winning those :wink: