PDA

View Full Version : Anybody recognise themselves in this photo? - Promotion day Hamilton April 1999.

iwasthere1972
25-10-2012, 04:32 PM
http://thescotsmanpublications.newsprints.co.uk/view/20798326/343993_jpg

edited: The game was against Hamilton but played at Firhill.

Gatecrasher
25-10-2012, 04:42 PM
Is that no Firhill?

I wasn't there that day but I was at the Falkirk one when we got the trophey.

cabbageandribs1875
25-10-2012, 04:49 PM
Is that no Firhill?

I wasn't there that day but I was at the Falkirk one when we got the trophey.

certainly looks like it i think, did hamilton not groundshare with partick ? at some stage anyway

Onceinawhile
25-10-2012, 04:57 PM
Game was definitely at firhill.

Billy Whizz
25-10-2012, 05:00 PM
Game was definitely at firhill.

Hamilton played all their games for a few season at Firhill after they sold Douglas Park

cabbageandribs1875
25-10-2012, 05:01 PM
can't find much info on google, but did come across this

Firhill hosted the first European Cup (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Cup) match ever to be played in Glasgow, when Swedish (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sweden) club Djurgårdens (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Djurg%C3%A5rdens_IF_Fotboll) played their "home" match against Hibernian (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hibernian_F.C.) in 1955–56 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1955%E2%80%9356_European_Cup). Djurgårdens played at Firhill because of the freezing conditions in Sweden at the time of the match.

learn something new every day :greengrin Hibs played European football in glasgow before either of the old squirm did :) good trivia Q that

Lang Toun Hibs
25-10-2012, 05:01 PM

I was a good boy and stayed in the stand!

wazoo1875
25-10-2012, 05:07 PM
I'm in it as is a young bingo70 and vein also. A great day out that was.I was in another one with mixu it was a close up one.

BroxburnHibee
25-10-2012, 05:40 PM
I should be in there somewhere

Pretty Boy
25-10-2012, 05:44 PM
I'm there somewhere. Could only have been 12 or 13.

Was wearing the horrendous luminous yellow keeper strip from that season so should be easily spotted.

That was a great day, the relief was overwhelming. Wee Russell ran the show then missed a penalty for his hat trick and the stand erupted when it came through that Falkirk were losing to Morton.

Saorsa
25-10-2012, 05:56 PM
I was a good boy and stayed in the stand!So was I :greengrin One of the lads that was with me took a sicky and then ran on tae the pitch at the end and got himself in some of the photos and his boss saw it :greengrin

Franck Stanton
25-10-2012, 08:00 PM
I am in there somewhere. Remember laughing at a numpty Hamilton supporter in the stand giving us all the "V" sign before running out the stand when he realised he was surrounded by hordes of Hibbys from main stand.

Jonnyboy
25-10-2012, 08:13 PM
Remember it well :thumbsup:

At one point after the game a number of us formed a huge circle around Mixu and started singing "Mixu Paatelainen, what a bleepin signing" and Mixu joined in! :greengrin

SteveHFC
25-10-2012, 08:23 PM
I was 6 years old back then :).

I couldn't be arsed moving out of my seat to run on the pitch :wink:

G-Reg
25-10-2012, 08:30 PM
My Dad and I missed the kick off by ten minutes as we went to Firpark (his fault) and we where not the only ones

bingo70
25-10-2012, 08:32 PM
I'm in that photo.

At the risk of this story sounding pretty gay i think it's a funny picture cos i've ended up being good pals with the guy i'm standing next to drunkingly holding onto even though at that time we never knew each other. :guesswho:

Was also the day i was introduced to Vodka Red Bull by Wazoo, I'm sure the two stories are unconnected though.

vein
25-10-2012, 09:15 PM
I'm in it as is a young bingo70 and vein also. A great day out that was.I was in another one with mixu it was a close up one.

I think your mistaken mate, thats quite obviously stevie crawford, not you. And bingo, it was vodka red devil not vodka red bull, vodka red devil takes you to a whole new level of pishedness!

Sweet Left Peg
25-10-2012, 10:43 PM
I will be in there somewhere. We sat up the back next to the journos and commentators, so we got the other scores coming through and shouted them down the stand. Near the end I remember saying "Stranraer no more, Greenock no more, Firhill no more ... Etc like the Letter From America thing. Next thing I know, the boy next to me was using it in his radio report! Robbing bar steward. Ended up chucking drinks about in Subway Cowgate all night. Oh to be young and carefree again......

wazoo1875
25-10-2012, 11:20 PM
I think your mistaken mate, thats quite obviously stevie crawford, not you. And bingo, it was vodka red devil not vodka red bull, vodka red devil takes you to a whole new level of pishedness!

Aye red devil eh! Some drink that mate. Classy stuff in maryhill

Lucius Apuleius
26-10-2012, 07:12 AM
The brats were there with their Mum. Me? I missed it. Still never seen us win anything:greengrin

There is one of Mixu's shinpads somewhere in the house along with I believe a Matty Jack sock. Not a clue how he got them. Pretty sure it was that game he got them.

le bill
26-10-2012, 07:30 AM
I was there with my son (skyehibee) who was 8 and my eldest daughter who was 11.

We came onto the pitch but were near the back of that picture I'm sure.

Sure Latapy scored a pen that day?

Sweet Left Peg
26-10-2012, 07:43 AM
Didn't an ex Hibby score for Morton that day vs our nearest rivals which meant that we would win the league that day; Keith Wright, maybe?

Lucius Apuleius
26-10-2012, 08:54 AM
My Dad and I missed the kick off by ten minutes as we went to Firpark (his fault) and we where not the only ones

:not worth Only thing I can think of here is WHY?

Craig_in_Prague
26-10-2012, 08:58 AM
I was there with my Brother; I would have been 18, I have no idea how we got there that day.

what a brilliant season though, enjoyed so many away days! ..and it seemed the Yams got beat an awful lot too (?), which just improved the atmosphere even more :-)

givescotlandfreedom
26-10-2012, 09:01 AM
Didn't an ex Hibby score for Morton that day vs our nearest rivals which meant that we would win the league that day; Keith Wright, maybe?

It was KEITH KEITH KEITH

Yuillsy
26-10-2012, 09:31 AM
I'm in that photo.

At the risk of this story sounding pretty gay i think it's a funny picture cos i've ended up being good pals with the guy i'm standing next to drunkingly holding onto even though at that time we never knew each other. :guesswho:

Was also the day i was introduced to Vodka Red Bull by Wazoo, I'm sure the two stories are unconnected though.
Have you still got that strip you were wearing? You should wear it to 5's on Monday!

jgl07
26-10-2012, 09:50 AM
Hamilton played all their games for a few season at Firhill after they sold Douglas Park

They also ground shared with Albion Rovers for a spell.

lobster
26-10-2012, 10:44 AM
Thats me in the corner.....michael stipe :rolleyes:

G-Reg
26-10-2012, 10:46 AM
:not worth Only thing I can think of here is WHY?

He claimed someone had told him thats where the ground share was and when we got there Motherwell was like a ghost town apart from somewhere in the region of 60 Hibs fans walking around looking confused

Lucius Apuleius
26-10-2012, 12:21 PM
He claimed someone had told him thats where the ground share was and when we got there Motherwell was like a ghost town apart from somewhere in the region of 60 Hibs fans walking around looking confused

Bizarre mate. I have done many many stoopid things in life but never gone to the wrong town to watch Hibs, :greengrin

wazoo1875
26-10-2012, 12:43 PM
Have you still got that strip you were wearing? You should wear it to 5's on Monday!

How did you spot him G? Aw aye he's the Yeti in the bright yellae top ;-)

Stevie Reid
26-10-2012, 12:50 PM
I was there - that was the day that one of our supporters' buses drove through Gorgie and was attacked outside Robertson's. I know that this happened as we were driving (in a car) behind it - Hearts threw away a 2 goal lead against Killie at Tynie, and were in deep relegation trouble at the time, and we thought it would be amusing to drive through; which it was, until the bus containing supporters of all ages had glasses and other missiles thrown at it.

Reckon the bus driver just made a big mistake though, as opposed to deliberately driving through.

G-Reg
26-10-2012, 01:18 PM
Bizarre mate. I have done many many stoopid things in life but never gone to the wrong town to watch Hibs, :greengrin

Don't worry I won't be making the reverse mistake tonight, I just hope the place doesn't catch fire again.