PDA

View Full Version : Are we more forgiving now?

Scouse Hibee
23-10-2012, 07:50 PM
Given the amount of goals we have conceded,I would have expected our back four/keeper to be getting far more crtiticism on here than they have done! Usually by now at least one or both of the centre halves and maybe the keeper would have been hung drawn and quartered and slated as simply not good enough. Are we behind the team more so because of the decent results and therefore more forgiving or are certain "favourites" immune from criticism despite reoccuring failings?

Broken Gnome
23-10-2012, 07:54 PM
Given the amount of goals we have conceded,I would have expected our back four/keeper to be getting far more crtiticism on here than they have done! Usually by now at least one or both of the centre halves and maybe the keeper would have been hung drawn and quartered and slated as simply not good enough. Are we behind the team more so because of the decent results and therefore more forgiving or are certain "favourites" immune from criticism despite reoccuring failings?

Think we're fed up moaning to be honest. We hit rock bottom with a bunch of chancers, now we've got a committed lot who at least show plenty to warrant forgiveness for any shortcomings.

CallumLaidlaw
23-10-2012, 07:57 PM
I think most realise we're still a work in progress that won't play well every week. We've already come a long way in the last 5 months and the next 2 windows will hopefully continue to strengthen a team that are much more committed (therefor closer to the fans) than the last squad

nonshinyfinish
23-10-2012, 08:03 PM
Think we're fed up moaning to be honest.

I think most realise we're still a work in progress that won't play well every week.

I'd like to believe that either of those are true, but sadly I think that if we had mostly been getting beat this season then at least two of Williams/Hanlon/Maybury/pick-another-player-at-random would be getting dogs abuse on here.

blackpoolhibs
23-10-2012, 08:05 PM
I think most realise we're still a work in progress that won't play well every week. We've already come a long way in the last 5 months and the next 2 windows will hopefully continue to strengthen a team that are much more committed (therefor closer to the fans) than the last squad

I think the squad is better, but it wont stop me saying what i think about the team or players on a football message board.

I have been critical of Williams, as up to now i think some of his decision making is awful, and he's made far too many basic mistakes that have resulted in goals.

I have also said some of his saves have been out this world, but his mistakes would have been slaughtered if we'd been losing.

We as a team are getting better, that equals less criticism.

S.sct
23-10-2012, 08:20 PM
The team have shown improvement and PF has made it clear it is a work in progress. Think the real reason the players mentioned are being cut some slack is that we can see effort and commitment, something that was sadly lacking last season.

Broken Gnome
23-10-2012, 08:25 PM
I'd like to believe that either of those are true, but sadly I think that if we had mostly been getting beat this season then at least two of Williams/Hanlon/Maybury/pick-another-player-at-random would be getting dogs abuse on here.

But we're not getting beat most of the time, that's the point. The Dundee, Saints and Killie games all earn extra leeway.

Pretty Boy
23-10-2012, 08:31 PM
Can't speak for everyone but I think a lot of fans will be far more supportive of and forgiving towards a team that is seen to be giving 100%.

In the last couple of seasons that may well have been something that could have been questioned. This season whilst we are still far from the finished article we have a side that looks like it is playing for the jersye and wants to be here. That's a good start and deserves support imo.

nonshinyfinish
23-10-2012, 08:32 PM
But we're not getting beat most of the time, that's the point. The Dundee, Saints and Killie games all earn extra leeway.

What I'm saying is that if the players had put in essentially the same performances, but a few unlucky breaks meant we'd lost most of games (which, looking back at the games we've won, is hardly implausible), then we wouldn't be hearing about effort or commitment or anything else, we'd be hearing about wage thieves who are a disgrace to the jersey.

In the simplest terms, as per the OP, I think people ARE more forgiving purely because we're winning games. That's not to say that I think the *****e that gets flung around when we're losing is justified, merely that I think results are ultimately the only important factor in determining whether the team gets slated or not.

bingo70
23-10-2012, 08:41 PM
Who never gave 100% last season? Doherty maybe but in general I think we got beat regularly just cos we had pish players.

We're cutting players a bit more slack this season cos we're not getting beat as regularly, don't think there's much more to it than that imo.

lord bunberry
23-10-2012, 08:43 PM
I hate these threads all they do is give people a platform to have a go at fellow supporters. The bottom line is we are a better and more committed team than last season that's why were picking up more points and that's why the team is receiving more praise than criticism

Broken Gnome
23-10-2012, 08:58 PM
Who never gave 100% last season? Doherty maybe but in general I think we got beat regularly just cos we had pish players.

We're cutting players a bit more slack this season cos we're not getting beat as regularly, don't think there's much more to it than that imo.

Ok, then the likes of Deegan, Cairney, McPake to some extent, who show an affiliation with the support rather than Soares, Osborne and Doherty who in a way embodied how faceless the club had become.

Results are the main thing, but atmosphere and commitment help to jeep people onside when the going gets tougher.

Sir David Gray
23-10-2012, 08:59 PM
We are not seeing so much criticism at the moment because we have been so bad over the past couple of years and we have seen an improvement so far this season.

There are obvious signs of encouragement there and there is a bit more commitment and dedication from our players this year which I think people are realising and responding to.

We have had a decent start to the season, probably a lot better than most people would have imagined before the season started, which is probably another reason for why the team is being cut some slack. It will be interesting to see how the fans react if we do happen to go on a bit of a slump and don't win for 4 or 5 games and also if we lose the likes of Leigh Griffiths in January.

bingo70
23-10-2012, 09:16 PM
Ok, then the likes of Deegan, Cairney, McPake to some extent, who show an affiliation with the support rather than Soares, Osborne and Doherty who in a way embodied how faceless the club had become.

Results are the main thing, but atmosphere and commitment help to jeep people onside when the going gets tougher.

Fair points, forgot about those two to be honest!

IWasThere2016
24-10-2012, 06:19 AM
More effort = better results = more backing = more effort = better results = more backing etc.. It is that simple.

Scouse Hibee
24-10-2012, 07:45 AM
I hate these threads all they do is give people a platform to have a go at fellow supporters. The bottom line is we are a better and more committed team than last season that's why were picking up more points and that's why the team is receiving more praise than criticism

Eh? It's a perfectly reasonable question,which has already been proved on this thread can be answered without having a go at fellow supporters.

basehibby
24-10-2012, 07:55 AM
The team have bought themselves some slack by turning in some committed winning performances.

On top of that though, I think a large proportion of the drama queen element of our support will have proclaimed "ah'm no goin back" on the back of last season culminating in the cup final.

Hopefully (and I mean that!) they will be tempted back to ER soon through a continuing stream of positive results. Don't worry though - as soon as as the opportunity presents itself you can expect a plethora of "told you he was crap" threads about one player or another :agree:

marinello59
24-10-2012, 08:05 AM
The team have bought themselves some slack by turning in some committed winning performances.

On top of that though, I think a large proportion of the drama queen element of our support will have proclaimed "ah'm no goin back" on the back of last season culminating in the cup final.

Hopefully (and I mean that!) they will be tempted back to ER soon through a continuing stream of positive results. Don't worry though - as soon as as the opportunity presents itself you can expect a plethora of "told you he was crap" threads about one player or another :agree:

There may well be a large element of truth in that.

Dinkydoo
24-10-2012, 11:46 AM
We have a better team overall, the players and manager are more connected with the fans and appear comitted to the Hibernian cause. In addition to that we have had a pretty good start to the season, draws against Hearts and Celtic and a few wins thrown in against the so called lesser teams in the league. We have at times played poorly, but at times we have also played well. Compare this to last season (or the year before) and we are a completely different and improved team.

This is why I personally have been more forgiving and less critical of Hibs lately.

I have still been disappointed at some of results and individual mistakes that we have made so far this season however I'm happy to take the 'ups and downs' of the Hibernian ride, since for the last few years its been mainly 'downs'.

J-C
24-10-2012, 03:42 PM
Been very disappointed with Clancy and McPake so far this season( a bit worried about lack of pace ), thought they would've made a bigger difference but both not reached the heights we thought they would. Midfield and up front is a lot better but still as said a work in progress, I personally didn't think we'd get all the players needed in the summer and need another 2 windows to get it done properly.

Stevie Reid
24-10-2012, 03:43 PM
We have a manager who promised to gradually get a team on the park that will fight for everything and be something that our supporters can identify with, and be worthy of our support - the early evidence of that is many of us are actually excited to go to ER these days, and have come away happy from all of our home fixtures so far, unbeaten and already with more wins than we did in all of last season. We also have 15 points after ten games - last year we had to wait until 28 December and our 20th game to get our 15th point.

Definite progress is being made and many of us can see that and are very happy with it so far - but we still have a long way to go. Fenlon and the players know that better than anybody, and I am very happy so far this season.

PISTOL1875
24-10-2012, 04:46 PM

I cannot believe for the life of me believe you didn't add Soares to that list..

PISTOL1875
24-10-2012, 04:48 PM

If Williams doesn't start coming off his line and we are shipping goals from crosses at close range then he will start getting pelters..

NAE NOOKIE
24-10-2012, 10:32 PM
Perhaps a wee bit more forgiving because there does appear to be a lot of effort. But losing 3 goals in our last game against a team who couldnt buy a goal at home up to then is way short of where we want to be.

We need at least a draw against Motherwell to stop what could become a setback, given our decent start to the season.

After Friday our next 5 matches are:

St Mirren .... home
Dundee Utd ... home
Dundee ... away
Aberdeen ... home
St Johnstone ... away

If we want to be serious challengers then we have to be looking for 12 points. Yes 3 of these games are against Utd, Aberdeen and St Johnstone. The first two are always difficult and St Johnstone are currently on a great run.

But its high time we started looking for wins against teams like these ..... beating Dundee, Killie and the like at ER is fine .. but to mantain any sort of challenge at the top end of the table you have to be able to take points from the bigger guns .... I can barely remember the last time we beat Dundee Utd or Aberdeen at ER and its high time that changed.

Leishy1995
24-10-2012, 11:28 PM
I think it's fair to say Alan Maybury is a very poor player. Then again I don't think he'll be first choice if Clancy and Mcgivern are about.

3pm
25-10-2012, 06:44 AM
I think it's fair to say Alan Maybury is a very poor player. Then again I don't think he'll be first choice if Clancy and Mcgivern are about.

If Maybury is a very poor player, I'd love to ser what you said about Hart and Van Zanten.

Dinkydoo
25-10-2012, 06:47 AM

I don't think that's very fair at all.

What makes you think that that is a fair thing to say?

IWasThere2016
25-10-2012, 07:43 AM
If Maybury is a very poor player, I'd love to ser what you said about Hart and Van Zanten.

Just as I was starting to forget!!! :grr: