PDA

View Full Version : How to explain the offside rule to women.

iwasthere1972
23-10-2012, 03:19 PM
This is the "offside rule" explained for women:

You're in a shoe shop, second in the queue for the till. Behind the shop assistant on the till is a pair of shoes which you have seen and which you must have.

The female shopper in front of you has seen them also and is eyeing them with desire. Both of you have forgotten your purses.

It would be rude to push in front of the first woman if you had no money to pay for the shoes.

The shop assistant remains at the till waiting.

Your friend is trying on another pair of shoes at the back of the shop and sees your dilemma.

She prepares to throw her purse to you.

If she does so, you can catch the purse, then walk round the other shopper and buy the shoes!

At a pinch she could throw the purse ahead of the other shopper and "whilst it is in flight" you could nip around the other shopper, catch the purse and buy the shoes!

BUT, you must always remember that until the purse has "actually been thrown", it would be plain wrong for you to be in front of the other shopper and you would be OFFSIDE!

Peevemor
23-10-2012, 03:27 PM
This is the "offside rule" explained for women:

You're in a shoe shop, second in the queue for the till. Behind the shop assistant on the till is a pair of shoes which you have seen and which you must have.

The female shopper in front of you has seen them also and is eyeing them with desire. Both of you have forgotten your purses.

It would be rude to push in front of the first woman if you had no money to pay for the shoes.

The shop assistant remains at the till waiting.

Your friend is trying on another pair of shoes at the back of the shop and sees your dilemma.

She prepares to throw her purse to you.

If she does so, you can catch the purse, then walk round the other shopper and buy the shoes!

At a pinch she could throw the purse ahead of the other shopper and "whilst it is in flight" you could nip around the other shopper, catch the purse and buy the shoes!

BUT, you must always remember that until the purse has "actually been thrown", it would be plain wrong for you to be in front of the other shopper and you would be OFFSIDE!

But what about your other mate who is waiting for you beside the cash desk. Although she's skint and has no intention of buying anything, she could feasibly catch the purse if your mate at the back of the shop throws it too far. Is she interfering with the purchase?

GhostofBolivar
23-10-2012, 04:32 PM
Well this isn't blatantly sexist at all...

wearethehibs
23-10-2012, 05:06 PM
Well this isn't blatantly sexist at all...

If you think thats bad wait for my comment.

All these women are actually in an offside position........ They are out of the kitchen.

Ohhhhhhhh

GhostofBolivar
23-10-2012, 05:27 PM
If you think thats bad wait for my comment.

All these women are actually in an offside position........ They are out of the kitchen.

Ohhhhhhhh

I'm just curious why the OP went to the trouble of actually trying to explain the offside rule at all. He should have realised that girls only watch the game because they're waiting for the bit at the end of the game where all the hunky guys swap shirts and, in any case, offside is too complicated for a girl's mind to comprehend and they shouldn't worry their pretty little heads about it :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Scouse Hibee
23-10-2012, 06:36 PM
It's easier to understand if you know why it's there, rather than what it is:

Imagine what would happen if a team was allowed to line up loads of its players right in front of the opposition goal mouth - it would be really easy for one of them to knock the ball into the net if it was passed to them.

So to prevent players from 'loitering' near the goalmouth like this there's a rule which says that a player from team A is offside if (and only if) he receives the ball while the only team B player standing between him and the goal is the goalkeeper himself

HUTCHYHIBBY
23-10-2012, 09:35 PM
I'm just curious why the OP went to the trouble of actually trying to explain the offside rule at all. He should have realised that girls only watch the game because they're waiting for the bit at the end of the game where all the hunky guys swap shirts and, in any case, offside is too complicated for a girl's mind to comprehend and they shouldn't worry their pretty little heads about it :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

You must be a right hoot down the boozer!

GhostofBolivar
23-10-2012, 10:21 PM
Sorry. I must be confused. I was under the impression that jokes were supposed to be funny and not just patronising, sexist bull****. My mistake.

EH6 Hibby
23-10-2012, 10:27 PM
I'm a woman and I thought it was funny.

HUTCHYHIBBY
23-10-2012, 11:40 PM
Sorry. I must be confused. I was under the impression that jokes were supposed to be funny and not just patronising, sexist bull****. My mistake.

Nae need for an apology.

GhostofBolivar
24-10-2012, 04:15 AM

I know more than a few girls who wouldn't.

Geo_1875
24-10-2012, 05:38 AM

I don't see where anyone said it was a joke.

EH6 Hibby
24-10-2012, 07:29 AM
I know more than a few girls who wouldn't.

You know more than a few girls who need to lighten up a bit if thy find that offensive.

--------
24-10-2012, 03:53 PM
I didn't know Andy Gray posted on this forum.

The "joke" in the OP wasn't funny the first time I heard it, and it hasn't become funny in the intervening 45 years.

Maybe we should rename the Holy Ground "Jurassic Park" - make all the dinosaurs feel right at home. :devil:

HUTCHYHIBBY
24-10-2012, 08:28 PM
I've always liked The Flintstones!

The_Exile
26-10-2012, 10:52 AM
http://distilleryimage8.s3.amazonaws.com/271084f0766311e1989612313815112c_7.jpg

HUTCHYHIBBY
26-10-2012, 11:25 AM
http://distilleryimage8.s3.amazonaws.com/271084f0766311e1989612313815112c_7.jpg

Hee hee! this should be fun!

sambajustice
26-10-2012, 12:02 PM
I hope they didnt drive to the shoe shop in the first place...

iwasthere1972
29-10-2012, 03:49 PM

Thank god some folk just see it as a joke and it's not a reflection of real life.

marinello59
29-10-2012, 04:09 PM
Thank god some folk just see it as a joke and it's not a reflection of real life.

My wife would boot you in the heehaws if you repeated it to her. Then she would check to see if YOU understood the offside rule properly. :greengrin

Jay
29-10-2012, 05:24 PM
I'm just glad I use my debit card which is always in my back pocket so will never need a purse. Saves confusion :witch:

marinello59
29-10-2012, 05:39 PM
I'm just glad I use my debit card which is always in my back pocket so will never need a purse. Saves confusion :witch:

Really? :greengrin

--------
29-10-2012, 05:43 PM
My wife would boot you in the heehaws if you repeated it to her. Then she would check to see if YOU understood the offside rule properly. :greengrin

As would quite a number of female football fans I know.

Besides, judging by some of the discussion on other forums about our Friday night game and others in the EPL over the weekend, there are a fair few men on this forum who haven't much of a clue about the offside law or any other law of the game of football ...

:devil:

--------
29-10-2012, 05:46 PM

Careful, Jill - you'll confuse the natives. :whistle: