PDA

View Full Version : Graham Mitchell

KeithTheHibby
23-10-2012, 12:38 PM
Following on from the Alan Sneddon thread it is only fair that this unsung hero gets a mention.

265 appearances for the cabbage and member of the League cup winning team in 1991.

Pretty much a stalwart in his ten years at Easter Road and was Mr Reliable.

We struggled big time after he left as we were relegated and had to endure guys like Rab Shannon and Paul Lovering at left back for a couple of years before big Ulrik came along!

hibees 7062
23-10-2012, 01:05 PM
Following on from the Alan Sneddon thread it is only fair that this unsung hero gets a mention.

265 appearances for the cabbage and member of the League cup winning team in 1991.

We struggled big time after he left as we were relegated and had to endure guys like Rab Shannon and Paul Lovering at left back for a couple of years before big Ulrik came along!

Great player , i dont think Lovering was a bad player he just wasnt rite in the heed

Squealing pig
23-10-2012, 01:10 PM
Mitchell was ok. Remember an overhead kick he scored v well might have been his only goal I think.

If I had to choose an unsung hero to big up it would be willie miller great right back til that leg break kinda ruined him.

Pretty Boy
23-10-2012, 01:22 PM
Great player , i dont think Lovering was a bad player he just wasnt rite in the heed

Lovering was more than decent for us in the 1st Division. Unfortunately that was his level and he got found out in the SPL.

He, along with a few from that team, done what was asked of them despite being understandably forgotten because of the Sauzees and Latapys.

CropleyWasGod
23-10-2012, 01:29 PM
Mitchell was ok. Remember an overhead kick he scored v well might have been his only goal I think.

If I had to choose an unsung hero to big up it would be willie miller great right back til that leg break kinda ruined him.

Think he scored in the first leg against Videoton.

Stevie Reid
23-10-2012, 01:32 PM

:agree:

Header from quite far out IIRC.

Mitchell was one of Miller's best signings.

superfurryhibby
23-10-2012, 01:38 PM

Agreed. I preferred him at centre half rather than left back. A cultured player who did well at Hibs.

jdships
23-10-2012, 01:42 PM

:top marks
And Mitchell was a fan of Miller's - always spoke well of the Manager
He was a very decent C/H as well

:flag:

Squealing pig
23-10-2012, 01:48 PM

I beg your pardon before my time lol.

blackpoolhibs
23-10-2012, 02:06 PM
I never knew he was at the club for 10 years, if thats correct i wonder why he did not receive a testimonial? He is presumably a cup winning player with 10 years unbroken service? :confused:

Twa Cairpets
23-10-2012, 03:06 PM
Vaguely remember him being out injured for months agter an injury at Falkirk. I only remember the game because it was one of the coldest nights Ive ever watched football, we got lost on the way to Falkirk in snow, and the guy I was with ate 4 pies in a row "to keep warm"

ballengeich
23-10-2012, 03:15 PM
I think he cost £30,000 from Hamilton and gave us 10 excellent years. He was possibly the best value for money signing we ever made.

Barman Stanton
23-10-2012, 03:15 PM
I never knew he was at the club for 10 years, if thats correct i wonder why he did not receive a testimonial? He is presumably a cup winning player with 10 years unbroken service? :confused:

Super Joe Tortolano was at the club for 11 years as well. Wasn't as uncommon for players to be at a club as long back then so they may have just been picky when handing out testimonials.

blackpoolhibs
23-10-2012, 03:31 PM
Super Joe Tortolano was at the club for 11 years as well. Wasn't as uncommon for players to be at a club as long back then so they may have just been picky when handing out testimonials.

Very strange practise imo, we cant have many who played for us 10 years, yet we hand one out to Ian Murray even though he left for his big payday?

I suppose the huge crowd he received demonstrated the supports views on that?

10 years unbroken service should automatically qualify you for a testimonial in my opinion.

HIBERNIAN-0762
23-10-2012, 03:37 PM
A totally mediocre player imo, pretty slow as I remember

LeighLoyal
23-10-2012, 03:41 PM
Had a good engine, athletic enough player. Best mate's with Mo Johnston. I think he was his best man.

bingo70
23-10-2012, 03:43 PM
Did he not score a belter of an OG against the club that used to be known as 'Rangers' (may they rest in peace)

Diving header i think although my memory might be playing tricks on me

Hiber-nation
23-10-2012, 03:44 PM

Totally disagree, Mitch was one of our most consistent performers in the Miller years. Best position was sweeper but never let anyone down at left back.

offshorehibby
23-10-2012, 03:44 PM
I remember doing a lot of work at ER for the company i worked for at the time. It was about the time he was injured. Stevie Archibald was there at the time carrying an injury and were on lite jogging at ER. Both would take time out to have a blether with you. I always liked Mitchell as a player.

Barman Stanton
23-10-2012, 03:56 PM
Very strange practise imo, we cant have many who played for us 10 years, yet we hand one out to Ian Murray even though he left for his big payday?

10 years unbroken service should automatically qualify you for a testimonial in my opinion.

Yes, I agree. And Murray shouldn't have got one either.

Could be a while before we see a player at the club for 10 years again. Hanlon possibly.

fat freddy
23-10-2012, 03:59 PM

i fell off my seat reading that...mitch was a top quality player...cultured in everything he done...oozed class and compusure.

Yuillsy
23-10-2012, 04:17 PM
I'm sure Mitch scored in the 1st game I ever went too. Hibs v St Mirren January 1987. It must've been right at the start of his Hibs career.
We won 1-0 but I can't find any other stats for it anywhere.
FWIW I thought Mitchell was brilliant for us and loved the ginger partnership of him and Hunter in defence.

KeithTheHibby
23-10-2012, 04:22 PM

Willie Miller was a decent full-back but soured it for me by turning Judas and joining Dundee after we were relegated.

Loyalty out the window despite being a Hibby and being responsible for taking us down. Same can be said for Andy Dow and Darren 'donkey' Dodds.

bingo70
23-10-2012, 04:26 PM
Willie Miller was a decent full-back but soured it for me by turning Judas and joining Dundee after we were relegated.

Loyalty out the window despite being a Hibby and being responsible for taking us down. Same can be said for Andy Dow and Darren 'donkey' Dodds.

He'd been there for a few years so might have been on a decent wage, maybe hibs encouraged him to take an offer from elsewhere :dunno:

He couldn't have made too much from the game, remember when i used to drink in the Lady Nairne he came in after hibs at been at home selling pies, apparently was pretty common for him to do this.

HIBERNIAN-0762
23-10-2012, 04:57 PM
Totally disagree, Mitch was one of our most consistent performers in the Miller years. Best position was sweeper but never let anyone down at left back.

Opinions eh?..:rolleyes:...:wink:

HIBERNIAN-0762
23-10-2012, 04:58 PM
I'm sure Mitch scored in the 1st game I ever went too. Hibs v St Mirren January 1987. It must've been right at the start of his Hibs career.
We won 1-0 but I can't find any other stats for it anywhere.
FWIW I thought Mitchell was brilliant for us and loved the ginger partnership of him and Hunter in defence.

You'll be telling us that Hunter was a good defender next....lordy

Franck Stanton
23-10-2012, 05:13 PM
he was one of my favourite players during the time he was there. Always gave 100% and was a good, solid defender. Don't know how anyone that saw him play could say any different.

3pm
23-10-2012, 05:18 PM

I don't like testimonial's. I'd scrap them. Of course, just an opinion too.

bingo70
23-10-2012, 05:28 PM

They should be purely for the benefit of charity.

i know it was a touchy subject at the time but i think it was outrageous Murray benefited financially from the dozen or so testimonial events he had.

HibbyAndy
23-10-2012, 05:28 PM
Graham Mitchell was a very very good pro for Hibs and a bloody good player, Those that differ ken ****all about fitba:greengrin

HUTCHYHIBBY
23-10-2012, 05:30 PM
A totally mediocre player

Sure you're not thinking of somebody else?

HIBERNIAN-0762
23-10-2012, 05:31 PM
Sure you're not thinking of somebody else?

Nope, a good pro as someone has already said but I always felt he just didn't have what it takes.

RickyS
23-10-2012, 05:33 PM
He'd been there for a few years so might have been on a decent wage, maybe hibs encouraged him to take an offer from elsewhere :dunno:

He couldn't have made too much from the game, remember when i used to drink in the Lady Nairne he came in after hibs at been at home selling pies, apparently was pretty common for him to do this.
left when we were relegated, he was offered a contract on the same money but decided to stay in the spl with dundee, says it all about how ****ing stupid he is

blackpoolhibs
23-10-2012, 05:37 PM

Thats no problem, we all have opinions.

Captain Trips
23-10-2012, 06:02 PM
Graham Mitchell a excellent solid player who never thought twice about winning the ball, one of the last of the playing for the jersey players.

HibbyAndy
23-10-2012, 06:04 PM
Graham Mitchell a excellent solid player who never thought twice about winning the ball, one of the last of the playing for the jersey players.

100% Agree.

CraigK
23-10-2012, 06:05 PM
I remember him being a solid, if unspectacular, left back who was a bit of a target for the boo-boys (along with Brian Hamilton). I was about 14 at the time, though.
It's been covered before but he was key cog in a great team who palyed well as a unit:

Leighton

Miller
Hunter
Tweed
Mitchell

McAllister
Hamilton
McGinlay
O'Neill

Jackson
Wright

And we had players like Harper, Graeme Love (who i remember being good at LB & CH?), Mickey Weir, Andy Millen, Joe T!, etc on the bench.

JimBHibees
23-10-2012, 06:30 PM
Graham Mitchell was a very very good pro for Hibs and a bloody good player, Those that differ ken ****all about fitba:greengrin

Completely agree thought he was an excellent servant to the club in his time here.

Haggis Hibby
23-10-2012, 06:34 PM

Liked WM as a player untill he turned Judas with Darren Dodds and left when we got relagated:fuming: it still really annoys me..... lol

lord bunberry
23-10-2012, 07:29 PM

I remember that game well i was in the dunbar end that night i remember everyone was thinking one wouldn't be enough little did we know. Fwiw i thought Mitchell was a decent player someone who could be relied upon when the going got tough

fatbloke
23-10-2012, 07:42 PM

:shocked:
Never thought it was that long

Baldy Foghorn
23-10-2012, 08:01 PM
I always liked Mitchell, always reliable and gave it 100% each game.

Pretty sure he missed penalty in home tie against Liege IIRC

weecounty hibby
23-10-2012, 08:29 PM
I always liked Mitchell, always reliable and gave it 100% each game.

Pretty sure he missed penalty in home tie against Liege IIRC

Pretty sure it was Houchen.

NGH
23-10-2012, 08:30 PM
Liked WM as a player untill he turned Judas with Darren Dodds and left when we got relagated:fuming: it still really annoys me..... lol

I'm a little confused with this. If you think Willie Miller and Darren Dodds were two of the guilty men who got us relegated - i.e. they were not good enough - you would be happy to see them go. If you think that they were two of the players who fought the good fight but were let down by their useless teammates and manager - i.e. they were good enough - you might cut them enough slack to be content if not overjoyed that they made a football decision to stay with a team in a higher league. The decision may have been poor but it hardly qualifies as "Judas" country.

Pedantic_Hibee
24-10-2012, 12:39 PM
Just seen Steven Tweed's name........I can recall a game where he burst forward with all the elegance of a baby giraffe and won about four consecutive 50/50's. That's the only thing I can remember about him. But as a wide-eyed youngster at the time, I marvelled as he blootered his way through all four challenges.

Peevemor
24-10-2012, 12:48 PM
Just seen Steven Tweed's name........I can recall a game where he burst forward with all the elegance of a baby giraffe and won about four consecutive 50/50's. That's the only thing I can remember about him. But as a wide-eyed youngster at the time, I marvelled as he blootered his way through all four challenges.

I remember a Scotland U21 match at ER where Tweed was the best player on the park by a long way.

Yuillsy
24-10-2012, 02:21 PM
You'll be telling us that Hunter was a good defender next....lordy

Aye mate. As a young kid growing up and starting to attend matches more regularly I thought Hunter was immense.
Maybe if I watched some games back now I'd see it differently. He was a leader who wore his heart on his sleeve and a lot better than some of the dross we've had to suffer in that position since then.
Like you said to another poster though, Opinions eh!!!!

PatHead
24-10-2012, 02:32 PM
I remember a Scotland U21 match at ER where Tweed was the best player on the park by a long way.

On a seperate note Steven Tweed was the first ever player to take advantage of the Bosman ruling and move for free at the end of his contract.

jgl07
24-10-2012, 02:50 PM
left when we were relegated, he was offered a contract on the same money but decided to stay in the spl with dundee, says it all about how ****ing stupid he is

Are you not confusing Mitchell with Willie Miller?

Mitchell left Hibs for Falkirk two years before relegation.

Miller went to Dundee when Hibs were relegated.

JimBHibees
24-10-2012, 02:52 PM
Nope, a good pro as someone has already said but I always felt he just didn't have what it takes.

Surely he had what it took for that Hibs team though.

superfurryhibby
24-10-2012, 05:11 PM
I remember him being a solid, if unspectacular, left back who was a bit of a target for the boo-boys (along with Brian Hamilton). I was about 14 at the time, though.
It's been covered before but he was key cog in a great team who palyed well as a unit:

Leighton

Miller
Hunter
Tweed
Mitchell

McAllister
Hamilton
McGinlay
O'Neill

Jackson
Wright

And we had players like Harper, Graeme Love (who i remember being good at LB & CH?), Mickey Weir, Andy Millen, Joe T!, etc on the bench.

MItchell played most of his games in central defence and I can't really ever recall him getting regular stick from fans. Hamilton on the other hand, he got plenty and probably much of it was undeserved. He was an excellent player for HIbs.

Would take issue with Graeme Love. He played briefly at left back and probably found his level when he dropped into junior football.

HIBERNIAN-0762
24-10-2012, 05:56 PM
Surely he had what it took for that Hibs team though.

He played under mogadon Miller and we all know how much he persisted in playing players who were either off form, out of position or just plain garbage, don't forget Mitchell was part of the defence when the yams were doing there 26 games in a row period, old wounds run deep.

Davy Mac
25-10-2012, 07:21 AM
Met Graham whilst staying in the Ramada Hotel in Liege way back in 1989/90 cannae quite remember now.

Working in the pre-internet travel industry at that time meant myself and my mate used to travel around not paying for much for flights/hotels etc.

Dressed in my white gown enjoying the delights of the mini bar when somebody knocked on the door and this voice said to me "Is this Hutches room?" I then realised it was Graham Mitchell and of course star struck at the time realised the Hibs team were staying in the same hotel!

Come in Graham, come in have a beer etc etc que photos with Graham in my dressing gown - fantastic!

Doon stairs all the team with their shell suits on - got some classic photos.

Mind you taking a photo of Duff and Gray didn't go down to well with them both I seem to recall.

Great times!

BT58
26-10-2012, 06:47 AM
Wasnt mitchell part of a triple signing
Macintyre was one but cannot remember the other,
Mitch was a good player for hfc
Bt

ChilliEater
26-10-2012, 07:31 AM
Wasnt mitchell part of a triple signing
Macintyre was one but cannot remember the other,
Mitch was a good player for hfc
Bt

Dougie Bell and Tommy McIntyre.

Speedway
26-10-2012, 08:39 AM
Met Graham whilst staying in the Ramada Hotel in Liege way back in 1989/90 cannae quite remember now.

Working in the pre-internet travel industry at that time meant myself and my mate used to travel around not paying for much for flights/hotels etc.

Dressed in my white gown enjoying the delights of the mini bar when somebody knocked on the door and this voice said to me "Is this Hutches room?" I then realised it was Graham Mitchell and of course star struck at the time realised the Hibs team were staying in the same hotel!

Come in Graham, come in have a beer etc etc que photos with Graham in my dressing gown - fantastic!

Doon stairs all the team with their shell suits on - got some classic photos.

Mind you taking a photo of Duff and Gray didn't go down to well with them both I seem to recall.

Great times!

They probably thought you were from Crimewatch.

The_Sauz
26-10-2012, 01:09 PM
He played under mogadon Miller and we all know how much he persisted in playing players who were either off form, out of position or just plain garbage, don't forget Mitchell was part of the defence when the yams were doing there 26 games in a row period, old wounds run deep.

Been following Hibs for 48 years, and I can't for the life off me remember them going 26 game without defeat against us :confused:
I do however remember them going 22 games without defeat (including 15 draws I think) and the player to end it was a player whom you thought was crap.........Gordon Hunter :not worth

The Baldmans Comb
26-10-2012, 01:24 PM
Mad Mitch was a players player and an absolute stalwart at full back for the best part of 10 years and was the sort of player who would thoroughly deserve and very much benefit a testimonial for his unbroken loyalty

Compare this to Ian 'EBT' Murray and his very undeserved pension top up plan.

I'm sure Mitch picked up a serious injury away to Oldham in a pre season friendly towards the end of his career and was never quite the same player again.

Stevie Reid
26-10-2012, 01:40 PM
Dougie Bell and Tommy McIntyre.

Pretty sure that the signings were announced on the same day that the 1987 New Year derby at ER was rained off - think the re-arranged game ended in a 2-2 draw.

Watching him as a 9 year old, Dougie Bell seemed to have the ball tied to his boot when he was dribbling!

HIBERNIAN-0762
26-10-2012, 01:47 PM
Been following Hibs for 48 years, and I can't for the life off me remember them going 26 game without defeat against us :confused:
I do however remember them going 22 games without defeat (including 15 draws I think) and the player to end it was a player whom you thought was crap.........Gordon Hunter :not worth

Typo perhaps :wink:

I never said Hunter was crap, he just doesn't deserve the "legend" tag, that's all :rolleyes:

Stevie Reid
26-10-2012, 01:55 PM
Typo perhaps :wink:

I never said Hunter was crap, he just doesn't deserve the "legend" tag, that's all :rolleyes:

Played in 3 cup finals whilst with Hibs, winning one of them, and scored the goal that ended the 22 in a row - in addition, he was an excellent servant to us and was here for 14 years in total.

Legend.

Lucius Apuleius
26-10-2012, 02:24 PM
10 years, 317 games, 309 of which he started. No yellow or red cards according to iHibs. if not a legend, not far off it.

Should also add Mr 0762 is obviously getting mixed up as he went to Falkirk, not Dundee

Stevie Reid
26-10-2012, 02:31 PM
10 years, 317 games, 309 of which he started. No yellow or red cards according to iHibs. if not a legend, not far off it.

Should also add Mr 0762 is obviously getting mixed up as he went to Falkirk, not Dundee

Are you talking about Graham Mitchell? Mr 0762 is talking about Gordon Hunter - he did go to Dundee briefly.

Gordon Hunter got sent off once that I remember, for two bookings, second one a deliberate hand ball, against St. Mirren I think, though I may be wrong about that. I remember it as he was the first Hibs player that I had ever seen sent off, and our first red card in over a year at that time (think the previous one may have been Mark Fulton, but even my statto-like memory can't state that that is a fact!).

In fact, he also got sent off against Airdrie in the first leg of the play off final at ER, and there were probably more!

Certainly can't remember Mitch getting sent off.

For the record, I consider both Hunter and Mitch to be Hibs legends.

Lucius Apuleius
26-10-2012, 02:33 PM
Are you talking about Graham Mitchell? Mr 0762 is talking about Gordon Hunter - he did go to Dundee briefly.

Gordon Hunter got sent off once that I remember, for two bookings, second one a deliberate hand ball, against St. Mirren I think, though I may be wrong about that. I remember it as he was the first Hibs player that I had ever seen sent off, and our first red card in over a year at that time (think the previous one may have been Mark Fulton, but even my statto-like memory can't state that that is a fact!).

In fact, he also got sent off against Airdrie in the first leg of the play off final at ER, and there were probably more!

Certainly can't remember Mitch getting sent off.

My bad, thought he was talking about Mitch.

Hiber-nation
26-10-2012, 03:07 PM
My bad, thought he was talking about Mitch.

Even the likes of John McNamee and John Blackley seem to have no yellow and red cards listed in the otherwise excellent iHibs so looks like a wee bit work in progress :wink:

Purple & Green
26-10-2012, 04:06 PM
Even the likes of John McNamee and John Blackley seem to have no yellow and red cards listed in the otherwise excellent iHibs so looks like a wee bit work in progress :wink:

I've not got the database to hand, but yes the booking and sending off information is only available for around the last 10 years. Before that it's a case of trawling a match report of every game - and the information isn't always reported. I'll speak to the footy museum at hampden to see if they have info too, but it's likely to be a long drawn out task, like adding all the half time scores in. We are working on it though. Offers of help much appreciated :)

Hiber-nation
26-10-2012, 09:30 PM
I've not got the database to hand, but yes the booking and sending off information is only available for around the last 10 years. Before that it's a case of trawling a match report of every game - and the information isn't always reported. I'll speak to the footy museum at hampden to see if they have info too, but it's likely to be a long drawn out task, like adding all the half time scores in. We are working on it though. Offers of help much appreciated :)

Keep up the good work....all the important things are there :thumbsup:

Viva_Palmeiras
26-10-2012, 09:59 PM
Pretty sure it was Houchen.
Yup Houchy had it touched onto the post iirc - gutted.

Iggy Pope
26-10-2012, 10:00 PM

Eh? Bollox.

Sammy7nil
26-10-2012, 10:03 PM
Mitchell for me was a great player and a great servant to the club class act.:aok:

Gordon Geebsie Hunter Legend :not worth

CraigK
26-10-2012, 10:05 PM
MItchell played most of his games in central defence and I can't really ever recall him getting regular stick from fans. Hamilton on the other hand, he got plenty and probably much of it was undeserved. He was an excellent player for HIbs.

Would take issue with Graeme Love. He played briefly at left back and probably found his level when he dropped into junior football.

Definitely played most of his games at left-back.
As to the other points I was about 14 so can't remember too clearly!