PDA

View Full Version : Query - Hibs Tommy Younger Strip

Conrad Gray
21-10-2012, 05:45 PM
Hi folks, I have seen the strip in the link below in Ebay -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/old-vintage-Hibernian-Hibs-Home-Football-Shirt-15-Match-Worn-Trikot-Camiseta-/261116673076?pt=UK_SportsMemorabilia_Football_Memo rabilia_ET&hash=item3ccbc43c34

I have never seen a Hibs top with Tommy Younger on the front - can anyone tell ke where or when this would be from?

Regards

RU

.Sean.
21-10-2012, 06:25 PM

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/old-vintage-Hibernian-Hibs-Home-Football-Shirt-15-Match-Worn-Trikot-Camiseta-/261116673076?pt=UK_SportsMemorabilia_Football_Memo rabilia_ET&hash=item3ccbc43c34

I have never seen a Hibs top with Tommy Younger on the front - can anyone tell ke where or when this would be from?

Regards

RU
Testimonial?

Tom Hart RIP
21-10-2012, 06:36 PM
I think it was from Jackie Macnamara testimonial against Newcastle. George Best played for us that day.

Pretty Boy
21-10-2012, 06:37 PM

Regards

RU

There's a photo of George Best wearing that strip hanging up in the Four in Hand. So it must be from that era, no more info though.

Hibs07p
22-10-2012, 01:37 PM
Did Tommy Younger not have the Walk Inn around that time?

green glory
22-10-2012, 01:54 PM
That's the 83/84 strip and this seems to ring a bell. I think the Fishers' sponsorship deal ended around then. Can't remember why TY sponsored the shirt though. :-(

green glory
22-10-2012, 01:55 PM
Got it. Sponsor of the Jackie McNamara testimonial against Newcastle.

green glory
22-10-2012, 02:19 PM
http://hibsprogrammes.co.uk/840805nu.html

Voila!

Looks like the shirt's a genuine.

Peevemor
22-10-2012, 02:22 PM
http://hibsprogrammes.co.uk/840805nu.html

Voila!

Looks like the shirt's a genuine.

His milkman didn't happen to have blond hair did he? :hmmm:

green glory
22-10-2012, 02:39 PM
His milkman didn't happen to have blond hair did he? :hmmm:

?

Peevemor
22-10-2012, 02:56 PM
?

Nothing too profound I'm afraid. It's just that in the photo there are 3 kids - 2 wee Jackie Mac clones, then the other one with with blond hair.

HIBERNIAN-0762
22-10-2012, 03:52 PM
Did Tommy Younger not have the Walk Inn around that time?

Yes he did and it was called Youngers Bar for a while then the Walk Inn

greenginger
22-10-2012, 04:09 PM
Yes he did and it was called Youngers Bar for a while then the Walk Inn

No, Tommy Younger died in 1983/84 , the Bar was opened by Jackie Curran who was Tommy Younger son-in-law a few years after his death.

I think the Walk-Inn was previously run by Tommy Preston.

cabbageandribs1875
22-10-2012, 04:22 PM
No, Tommy Younger died in 1983/84 , the Bar was opened by Jackie Curran who was Tommy Younger son-in-law a few years after his death.

iirc did jackie curran own a video rental shop on leith walk ? just up from albert st :hmmm: or a bus company or sommit

greenginger
22-10-2012, 04:31 PM
iirc did jackie curran own a video rental shop on leith walk ? just up from albert st :hmmm: or a bus company or sommit

Jackie originally had Curran Coaches and opened several other ventures when he sold the coach firm to Silver Fox.

I don't know about the Video Shop but he had a bar at the bottom of Ferry Road which was like something out of the wild west. :greengrin

cabbageandribs1875
22-10-2012, 04:43 PM
Jackie originally had Curran Coaches and opened several other ventures when he sold the coach firm to Silver Fox.

I don't know about the Video Shop but he had a bar at the bottom of Ferry Road which was like something out of the wild west. :greengrin

thought so :aok: and i'm positive he did have the video rental shop, anyone else confirm ? :greengrin sound guy iirc, can't remember him having that pub you mention, is that the one opposite leith town hall at the roundabout/lights ? only time i was ever in there was when playing with my domino team :) it must have been refurbished coz it was quite nice inside at that time, mind you tho, i'm going back approx 25-30 years :cb

HIBERNIAN-0762
22-10-2012, 05:46 PM
Jackie did have the video shop just on Leith Walk at Albert Street, I was a member and his pirate videos of the latest movies were legend.

His pub was The Willie Muir and was a real shoot em up boozer :agree:

He got done for trying to rob a post office and did time, think he might still be in the nick actually, a real character he was.

HIBERNIAN-0762
22-10-2012, 05:47 PM

I stand corrected sir...memory going fast these days!

Iggy Pope
22-10-2012, 06:33 PM

Centre Video. See below.
He had a shop on Leith Walk as well as one on Gorgie Road!
He was a case and held an audience captive in the Hibs Club Games Room on many Sunday efties around the pool table. He got barred eventually, needless to say.

Iggy Pope
22-10-2012, 06:33 PM

Centre Video. See below.
He was a case and held an audience captive in the Hibs Club Games Room on many Sunday efties around the pool table. He got barred eventually needless to say.

Iggy Pope
22-10-2012, 06:35 PM
Centre Video. See below.
He was a case and held an audience captive in the Hibs Club Games Room on many Sunday efties around the pool table. He got barred eventually needless to say.

Don't know what happened to the photie there.
Hopefully this time.

Jonnyboy
22-10-2012, 07:55 PM
Interesting that the shirt is being sold by a gadgie in Hungary. Maybe somebody left it over there after the Videoton game :greengrin