PDA

View Full Version : James Mcpake International choice

eastmainsmsh
20-10-2012, 11:15 AM
After a meeting with Levein James chose to play for NI

Anyone reckon Mcpake wouldve been the goods for Scotland ?

CallumLaidlaw
20-10-2012, 11:19 AM
as much as I'd like McPake to play for Scotland, it shows our captain can spot a fud. :pfgwa

Thomson
20-10-2012, 11:20 AM

I think you could say anyone's name and it would be an improvement on berra, but mcpake would have improved that defence, being in there on his own :wink:.

Cocaine&Caviar
20-10-2012, 11:28 AM
When he moves to Celtic in a years time, there will be an outrage that he was missed out on, or will be regarded as a McGeady by an uninformed SPL.

basehibby
20-10-2012, 11:57 AM

Another chapter in Levein's failure - McPake certainly has the class to play for Scotland in what is a major weak spot in our squad.

Considering he's gone out of his way to persuade players who had never even seen Scotland to pull on the dark blue jersey, it's nothing short of ridiculous that someone like McPake who sounds as Scottish as the day's long and is three quarters Scottish by blood is allowed to slip away.

Broken Gnome
20-10-2012, 12:05 PM

Not sure he would. Even though Scotland's group of centre halves is piss poor, McPake would struggle against better forwards. More than fine for us though.

PeterboroHibee
20-10-2012, 12:10 PM
I wasnt aware that McPake had met up with Levein to discuss his chances for Scotland. Must have been told he would be back up at best.

I think he is a brilliant player for us, and its a shame he couldnt have that opportunity to play for Scotland, but Im also not sure hes necessarily the answer to Scotlands problems (although better than Caldwell and Berra). In the past we have had some outstanding defenders, cant really say that now, the options are pretty slim...

DAVE1875
20-10-2012, 12:53 PM
Even if McPake won every player of the month Levein would not pick him

Ozyhibby
20-10-2012, 04:47 PM
Think he needs to concentrate on improving our defence, which is shocking, before chapping on any international managers door.

Wotherspiniesta
20-10-2012, 04:57 PM
Think he needs to concentrate on improving our defence, which is shocking, before chapping on any international managers door.

Been a while since we've heard from you OzyJambo! Where you been hiding?

Cod Boy
20-10-2012, 05:21 PM
Gary Kenneth would have got picked before him

7 Hills
20-10-2012, 05:25 PM
I'm probably wrong, but I was under the impression that James had only played a friendly for NI and could still theoretically play for Scotland if picked?

Ozyhibby
20-10-2012, 05:26 PM
Been a while since we've heard from you OzyJambo! Where you been hiding?

Haven't been anywhere, your just not as good a stalker as you think you are.
Is everybody who disagrees with you a Jambo or just me?

Sweet Left Peg
20-10-2012, 05:52 PM
Berra and Caldwell consistently make the same type of mistakes which, in my book makes them poor footballers. It is Scotland's weak point and I think that McPake would have at least have earned a chance of a shot based upon his performances for Hibs. However, for some reason he has chosen NI and good luck to him. My gut feeling says that he would never be picked for Scotland while Avril Potter was in charge, but what does that say? Maybe that's why he chose NI. He seems like a switched on, level headed guy so perhaps he thought it would be his only chance at international football. And if so, then he was right to take it. No idea if he spoke to Mr Negativity or not, so I cannot shed any light on that, but long may he continue to be at Hibs. He inspires and improves those around him.

Wotherspiniesta
20-10-2012, 06:27 PM
Haven't been anywhere, your just not as good a stalker as you think you are.
Is everybody who disagrees with you a Jambo or just me?

You're just very, very negative when it comes to everything Hibs. All you ever seem to do is criticise.

bod
20-10-2012, 09:23 PM

what reason has he given for opting for NI ?

cocopops1875
20-10-2012, 09:35 PM
what reason has he given for opting for NI ?

They asked i think :agree:

Onceinawhile
20-10-2012, 10:35 PM
Mcpake isn't international standard. A lot of the time he looks good because he is blocking shots. Usually due to his poor positioning.

Ozyhibby
21-10-2012, 12:05 AM
Mcpake isn't international standard. A lot of the time he looks good because he is blocking shots. Usually due to his poor positioning.

Agree 100%

LancashireHibby
21-10-2012, 12:28 AM
His positioning can't be that bad if he's close enough to get a block in?

cocopops1875
21-10-2012, 06:42 AM
His positioning can't be that bad if he's close enough to get a block in?

I'm gonna have to side slightly with the other guys, I don't think they are saying he is yards away from his man, more that due to average positioning he gets turned/beaten and has no option but to dive in. He throws himself at everything which was massive for us last season as we needed a player who looked like they gave 100% however I think he has looked poorer this season (not having a go at the lad just saying he has not looked like the dominant/stand out player he was) I still get the impression he is never really 100% fit meaning injuries not lack of effort but again that's only my opinion

lucky
21-10-2012, 08:18 AM
McPake is a decent SPL defender. Caldwell and Berra both play regularly at a higher level. McPake would struggle at international level that's why he is a fringe player for NI.

soupy
21-10-2012, 08:30 AM
Did he not get MOM on his debut in the thrashing by the Dutch?????

Hibernia Na Eir
21-10-2012, 09:57 AM
Harry Potter and Hibs/green doesn't go.

lucky
21-10-2012, 10:26 PM
Did he not get MOM on his debut in the thrashing by the Dutch?????

Hard to think any defender on the receiving end of a 6 goal hammering would get MOTM.

McPake has been average this season and had another poor game yesterday. Hopefully he will start performing again as he is A.big player for us. But even at his best he is not an international player

MB62
22-10-2012, 09:54 AM
I'm delighted James signed for us during the close season, I think we needed him to help us build from the back. However, I am not in the McPake is invicible and best Scottish centre half camp, far from.
James does a good job for us and was a definite improvement on what had gone before him, but he can also be a bit of a liability at times. I don't know if he feels he has to do ALL the defending for EVERYONE but it doesn't seem to me that there is much of a partnership being formed between James and Paul. Still early days I suppose and maybe it will come together the more they play alongside each other, and of course with a new goalkeeper there, that is another understanding that has to be formed.
Delighted he is with us but far from being international class IMO.

Broken Gnome
22-10-2012, 10:11 AM
Is it not time we stopped all the Levein-anti Hibs squad selection nonsense? Hibs haven't had one Scottish player during his time as manager than hasn't been given pelters by ourselves. The biggest case we had was for O'Connor, and Levein was proved right on that one given he was never ever an international for two thirds of that season. Hanlon's never been a footballer to some people, McPake's certainly not an international defender for the valid reasons previously mentioned, and Leigh could well included in time but isn't ready yet. If there's a Hibs player genuinely worthy of it but doesn't feature, then we can complain. Until then, McPake's decision to play for NI is hardly symbolic of an anti-Hibs secltion process. None of them deserve it. Hopefully they do in time.