PDA

View Full Version : Class Players that we just missed out on.

Wellbankhibby
16-10-2012, 10:19 AM
Im just reading the Biography of Billy Bremner and in the first few chapters he states that he wanted to leave leeds to sign for Hibs as he was home sick. Hibs offerred a fee i think 25000 Leeds wanted 30000 so for 5000 a great player slipped through our fingers AGAIN. :confused:

Pretty Boy
16-10-2012, 10:23 AM
I blame Petrie personally.

matty_f
16-10-2012, 10:25 AM
Think Miller wanted to sign David Platt, IIRC.

EuanH78
16-10-2012, 10:28 AM

Apparently Hibs wouldnt stretch to a Big Mac and a fillet o' fish :rolleyes: Some things never change eh?

Pretty Boy
16-10-2012, 10:32 AM
We had a pretty good chance of signing Allan McGreggor just after he was brought back from a loan spell at Dunfermilne then dumped on the bench by Paul Le Guen. Apparently Tony Mowbray preferred Zibi.

Obviously using McGreggor and class in the same sentence is ridiculous but he is a very good keeper.

Stevie Reid
16-10-2012, 10:44 AM

:agree:

Went to Villa instead. Think we had a real interest in Ronny Rosenthal before he signed for Liverpool too.

.Sean.
16-10-2012, 10:46 AM
Bob Malcolm and Cillian Sheridan.

Hibee87
16-10-2012, 10:50 AM
Were we not offered a young David Trezeguet on loan but we preffered lee power :confused:

and althogh not for us, I do beleive that St mirren only missed out on a 6 month loan for Ronaldinhio due to a irregularity with his work permit/visa/password (cant remember which it was) the story I THINK i read was along the lines of he had signed for PSG but wouldnt be playing for them for another 6 months, Ron/Ron's agent wanted to get him used to playing in europe before he officially went to PSG. Don't know how St Mirren got involved but they were offered him for that 6 month, accepted it but fell through at the last minute

Thecat23
16-10-2012, 10:50 AM
Sadly I don't know the players name but Sauzee had lined up a French player who was in his words "A Legend and would put Hibs on the map over Europe" just before he was sacked. Always wondered to this day who it was. anyone know?

Part/Time Supporter
16-10-2012, 10:51 AM
Bob Malcolm and Cillian Sheridan.

:hijack:

Thecat23
16-10-2012, 10:52 AM
Were we not offered a young David Trezeguet on loan but we preffered lee power :confused:

and althogh not for us, I do beleive that St mirren only missed out on a 6 month loan for Ronaldinhio due to a irregularity with his work permit/visa/password (cant remember which it was) the story I THINK i read was along the lines of he had signed for PSG but wouldnt be playing for them for another 6 months, Ron/Ron's agent wanted to get him used to playing in europe before he officially went to PSG. Don't know how St Mirren got involved but they were offered him for that 6 month, accepted it but fell through at the last minute

If that's true that's possibly the funniest thing i've read on here in years :faf::faf:

Imagine going with Power over him!!!

Sweet Left Peg
16-10-2012, 10:57 AM
Heard we just missed out on Lambert cos Miller was on holiday. Then he went on to sign for Dortmund.

Bishop Hibee
16-10-2012, 11:10 AM
Missed out on John Robertson and we could have had Keith Wright much earlier than we did.

Every club has those they missed out on though. I've not long finished reading Steve McManaman's account of his time at Real Madrid but he says at the start of the book that he didn't sign for his childhood heroes Everton because he was "too slight". Went on to be arguably the most successful English player to ever play outside England.

Peevemor
16-10-2012, 11:10 AM
Gordon Strachan, over the price of a pair of football boots.

HoboHarry
16-10-2012, 11:16 AM
Missed out on John Robertson and we could have had Keith Wright much earlier than we did.

Every club has those they missed out on though. I've not long finished reading Steve McManaman's account of his time at Real Madrid but he says at the start of the book that he didn't sign for his childhood heroes Everton because he was "too slight". Went on to be arguably the most successful English player to ever play outside England.
Like this when Sheffield United turned down Maradona. Nothing else even comes close to that.
http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/opinion/blogs/mirror-football-blog/If-only-Diego-Maradona-to-Sheffield-United-and-the-Top-10-transfer-near-misses-article135275.html

Stevie Reid
16-10-2012, 11:36 AM
Like this when Sheffield United turned down Maradona. Nothing else even comes close to that.
http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/opinion/blogs/mirror-football-blog/If-only-Diego-Maradona-to-Sheffield-United-and-the-Top-10-transfer-near-misses-article135275.html

Did David Duff or Jim Gray not come out with a statement at one point along the lines of "'If Diego Maradona became available and somehow wanted to sign for Hibs, we could afford to fund that transfer'?

Skanko79
16-10-2012, 11:40 AM
did blobby williamson not try and swap riordan and whittaker for some also ran from killie as well?

Stevie Reid
16-10-2012, 11:41 AM
did blobby williamson not try and swap riordan and whittaker for some also ran from killie as well?

Wanted to swap both with ICT for Bobby Mann.

ScottB
16-10-2012, 11:45 AM
Sadly I don't know the players name but Sauzee had lined up a French player who was in his words "A Legend and would put Hibs on the map over Europe" just before he was sacked. Always wondered to this day who it was. anyone know?

It was Didier Deschamps wasn't it?

Robinho08
16-10-2012, 11:47 AM
Chris Hackett. ;-)

Wembley67
16-10-2012, 11:55 AM

zlatan
16-10-2012, 11:56 AM
If that's true that's possibly the funniest thing i've read on here in years :faf::faf:

Imagine going with Power over him!!!

Think the story that went about a couple of years ago was Jim Duffy was offered a 17 year old Trezeguet on loan from Monaco but he declined because he had just signed Lee Power and Paul Tosh. Frightening.

LeighLoyal
16-10-2012, 11:59 AM
Jackie MacNamra Jnr, should have signed him in the 90's before Celtic did. I think they paid 500k, but that was after he'd been at Dunfermline several years and proved his worth.

Stevie Reid
16-10-2012, 12:00 PM
Think the story that went about a couple of years ago was Jim Duffy was offered a 17 year old Trezeguet on loan from Monaco but he declined because he had just signed Lee Power and Paul Tosh. Frightening.

I'm sure I read around about 1997 that Duffy wanted to sign Jimmy Debbah who, IIRC, was available for £700K: -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Debbah

Mark79
16-10-2012, 12:03 PM
Cruyff and reyes spring to mind. If only they had got off the 26 at the right stop.

CabbageFan
16-10-2012, 12:30 PM
I remember David Ginola was one.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

London Hibs FC
16-10-2012, 12:59 PM
Jackie MacNamra Jnr, should have signed him in the 90's before Celtic did. I think they paid 500k, but that was after he'd been at Dunfermline several years and proved his worth.

We had a chance to get him way before he went to The Pars then once again, towards the end of his career, when JC was in charge.

Thecat23
16-10-2012, 01:38 PM

Imagine if we had got him. I'd give him 3 passes before he was booed :wink:

Hibbyradge
16-10-2012, 02:09 PM

Apparently Hibs wouldnt stretch to a Big Mac and a fillet o' fish :rolleyes: Some things never change eh?

Miller said he wasn't fast enough for the Premier League.

Ryan69
16-10-2012, 02:31 PM
Im pretty sure we tried signing Jean Pierre Papin....at end of his career. Wages were problem I believe.

Cocaine&Caviar
16-10-2012, 02:40 PM
we were literally milliseconds away from Adam Le Fondre im told.

Edinburgh Green
16-10-2012, 02:45 PM
Heard a rumour that we had a young Norwegian on trial named Ole Gunner Solskaer who was deemed to small by the management.

Another player who wasn't as big a name as those mentioned but would of been a class player was Jamie Cureton, he was a goal machine wherever he was! Think we tried to get him a few times.

jgl07
16-10-2012, 02:52 PM

This has all the hallmarks of an Urban Myth.

Lee Power came around March 1997. Trezeguet had five caps and five goals for the French U-21 team that year and played for the full French team the following season. He was playing regularly in the Monaco first team by then and scoring goals. He scored in the Champions' League in November 1997 against Sporting and later in that season at Old Trafford, four in nine CL matches..

Why would the French champions want to loan out a player to Scotland who was on the verge of an international cap?

I don't believe a word of it.

ancient hibee
16-10-2012, 03:24 PM
We could have had Jim Baxter for £5000, which wasn't a huge amount even then,during his first season at Raith.

Peevemor
16-10-2012, 03:40 PM
This has all the hallmarks of an Urban Myth.

Lee Power came around March 1997. Trezeguet had five caps and five goals for the French U-21 team that year and played for the full French team the following season. He was playing regularly in the Monaco first team by then and scoring goals. He scored in the Champions' League in November 1997 against Sporting and later in that season at Old Trafford, four in nine CL matches..

Why would the French champions want to loan out a player to Scotland who was on the verge of an international cap?

I don't believe a word of it.

There's definitely truth in it (though Lee Power had nothing to do with anything!).

About 4-5 years ago there was a similar thread on here and there was a link to a story about the Trezeguet thing. I can't remember all the ins and outs, but it outlined clearly the people involved (and how they knew each other) and the reasons why a loan deal was being thought about. IIRC it simply didn't come to anything, but there was no sinister reason for this.

Iggy Pope
16-10-2012, 09:41 PM

Went to Villa instead. Think we had a real interest in Ronny Rosenthal before he signed for Liverpool too.

Scored against the Huns in a closed door friendly when on trial.

Jonnyboy
16-10-2012, 09:57 PM
The genius that was Colin Calderwood was told of a 17 year old lad who'd left Ross County to join Liverpool, hadn't settled and had returned north and was playing for Airdrie. CC looked and decided no. The lads name is Gary Mackay-Steven

marinello59
16-10-2012, 10:01 PM
The genius that was Colin Calderwood was told of a 17 year old lad who'd left Ross County to join Liverpool, hadn't settled and had returned north and was playing for Airdrie. CC looked and decided no. The lads name is Gary Mackay-Steven

Just when you think your anger towards Calderwood is starting to subside....................:greengrin

killie-hibby
16-10-2012, 10:01 PM

Yep. He went down to Rotherham to watch Platt playing for Crewe in a Div4 game, but Gareth Evans on that night outshone Platt and the £100,000 intended for Crewe went to Rotherham.:boo hoo:

Jonnyboy
16-10-2012, 10:02 PM
Just when you think your anger towards Calderwood is starting to subside....................:greengrin

:greengrin

marinello59
16-10-2012, 10:02 PM
Yep. He went down to Rotherham to watch Platt playing for Crewe in a Div4 game, but Gareth Evans on that night outshone Platt and the £100,000 intended for Crewe went to Rotherham.:boo hoo:

I rather suspect this is yet another urban myth.

Jonnyboy
16-10-2012, 10:04 PM

God Petrie
16-10-2012, 10:16 PM
Williamson was offered Benayoun but turned him down.

killie-hibby
16-10-2012, 10:16 PM

Miller went down to Rotherham with the intention of signing Platt but opted for Evans. Its factual, not mythical.

SteveHFC
16-10-2012, 10:20 PM
Williamson was offered Benayoun but turned him down.

Source?

Jonnyboy
16-10-2012, 10:20 PM
Miller went down to Rotherham with the intention of signing Platt but opted for Evans. Its factual, not mythical.

Miller watched Platt a number of times. One such time was in a game against Rotherham. Miller liked what he saw in Evans and when the Platt deal failed he spent the dosh on Evans instead. Not quite how you first explained it - Evans being better than Platt in a game which implied that Miller took Evans in preference to Platt.

In any event, Platt would probably have bombed in the heady heights of Scottish football :greengrin

weecounty hibby
16-10-2012, 10:23 PM
Not how i remember it. I may be wrong but i seem to remember this being another case of Miller not spending more than he thought a player was worth. I thought we did actually talk money for Platt but it was too much for AM.

3pm
16-10-2012, 10:25 PM
Source?

It was actually Benny Broon from Craigmillar.

CallumLaidlaw
16-10-2012, 10:32 PM
We had a pretty good chance of signing Allan McGreggor just after he was brought back from a loan spell at Dunfermilne then dumped on the bench by Paul Le Guen. Apparently Tony Mowbray preferred Zibi.

Obviously using McGreggor and class in the same sentence is ridiculous but he is a very good keeper.

Yip, it was a done deal apparently, but Mowbray said we didn't need him.

killie-hibby
16-10-2012, 10:40 PM
Miller watched Platt a number of times. One such time was in a game against Rotherham. Miller liked what he saw in Evans and when the Platt deal failed he spent the dosh on Evans instead. Not quite how you first explained it - Evans being better than Platt in a game which implied that Miller took Evans in preference to Platt.

In any event, Platt would probably have bombed in the heady heights of Scottish football :greengrin

My misinformation came from one of which at that time were half decent newspapers, the Daily Record or Daily Mail. I do remember reading the story. I will accept your version as being factual as we are all aware of the guff spouted by the aforementioned papers. :embarrass

Jonnyboy
16-10-2012, 10:41 PM
My misinformation came from one of which at that time were half decent newspapers, the Daily Record or Daily Mail. I do remember reading the story. I will accept your version as being factual as we are all aware of the guff spouted by the aforementioned papers. :embarrass

:greengrin :thumbsup:

Scouse Hibee
16-10-2012, 10:44 PM

Coronation Street offered him a better deal and the rest is history.

SteveHFC
16-10-2012, 10:53 PM
Darren Fletcher

jgl07
17-10-2012, 12:13 AM
There's definitely truth in it (though Lee Power had nothing to do with anything!).

About 4-5 years ago there was a similar thread on here and there was a link to a story about the Trezeguet thing. I can't remember all the ins and outs, but it outlined clearly the people involved (and how they knew each other) and the reasons why a loan deal was being thought about. IIRC it simply didn't come to anything, but there was no sinister reason for this.

These urban myths always emerge years later. This is rather like the 'swop Bobby Mann for Derek Riordan and Steven Whittakar' nonsense. Yes it was all over here around ten years after the event but not at the time. This is why I do not believe a word.

The Trezuguet rumour never appeared anywhere in the Scottish or French press 1997 or 1998. I used to buy France Football every week in the mid to late 1990s and never saw anything there. It was never flagged up on any of the discussion boards (or email lists back then).

Produce news reports from 1997 or bI will continue to not believe.

Peevemor
17-10-2012, 12:57 AM
These urban myths always emerge years later. This is rather like the 'swop Bobby Mann for Derek Riordan and Steven Whittakar' nonsense. Yes it was all over here around ten years after the event but not at the time. This is why I do not believe a word.

The Trezuguet rumour never appeared anywhere in the Scottish or French press 1997 or 1998. I used to buy France Football every week in the mid to late 1990s and never saw anything there. It was never flagged up on any of the discussion boards (or email lists back then).

You believe what you want.

monteddie
17-10-2012, 01:32 AM
Im just reading the Biography of Billy Bremner and in the first few chapters he states that he wanted to leave leeds to sign for Hibs as he was home sick. Hibs offerred a fee i think 25000 Leeds wanted 30000 so for 5000 a great player slipped through our fingers AGAIN. :confused: I have on good authority that they tried to sign me but I was under contract with a outfit at the pits, I can also confirm that I am a legend.... In my own mind:greengrin

jgl07
17-10-2012, 01:40 AM
You believe what you want.

You obviously can't come up with anything then!

As I suspected.

Peevemor
17-10-2012, 05:53 AM
You obviously can't come up with anything then!

As I suspected.

As I said, a link was posted at least 5 years ago (I remember where I was living when I read it). I normally take these things with a pinch of salt, but what was written was totally feasible. You can make what you want of all that, but please stop the smart arsed comments which suggest that I'm making stuff up.

Kaiser1962
17-10-2012, 06:15 AM

I recall speaking to Dougie Crombe about this just around the time he signed for Bari. Between fags Dougie told me that we tried hard to get Platt and had even, tentatively, agreed a fee with Crewe (?) but trying to strike a deal with Platt himself became impossible when Villa came on the scene and DC felt we were being used so that Platt got a better personal deal. Basically whatever we offered Villa offered more. It went on for a wee while till we eventually pulled the plug.

For it to be said that we "lost out" on him is a bit harsh.

Tyler Durden
17-10-2012, 06:36 AM

html

I can't seem to copy a link on this damned IPad! Google "Celts hell can make you Deek". That is a Sun story where John Robertson confirms the ICT swap offer.

Peevemor
17-10-2012, 07:00 AM
html

I can't seem to copy a link on this damned IPad! Google "Celts hell can make you Deek". That is a Sun story where John Robertson confirms the ICT swap offer.

Then Hibs manager Bobby Williamson desperately wanted to sign Bobby Mann, but didn’t have the money to buy him.
So we discussed a swap deal and Bobby offered us two players from his youth team.
My assistant Donald Park and I picked Riordan and Steven Whittaker but the deal couldn’t have been completed in time that particular January.
However, Bobby was still keen to agree something for the following season and there were further negotiations later.
Riordan, though, got into the Hibs team for the last six or seven games and scored five goals. The rest is history.

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/2765263/.html#ixzz29XNGO8Dg

Stevie Reid
17-10-2012, 10:43 AM

Wanted to swap both with ICT for Bobby Mann.

html

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/2765263/Celts-hell-can-make-you-Deek.html

Now, he’s returned to an arena where he’s absolutely adored. It’s still a matter of some regret that I missed out on the chance to work with him when I was manager at Inverness.
Then Hibs manager Bobby Williamson desperately wanted to sign Bobby Mann, but didn’t have the money to buy him.
So we discussed a swap deal and Bobby offered us two players from his youth team.
My assistant Donald Park and I picked Riordan and Steven Whittaker but the deal couldn’t have been completed in time that particular January.
However, Bobby was still keen to agree something for the following season and there were further negotiations later.
Riordan, though, got into the Hibs team for the last six or seven games and scored five goals. The rest is history.
Credit to both Riordan and Whittaker for how their careers have progressed since.
But Riordan was so nearly an Inverness player.
The boy had a lucky escape!

Edit: Oops didn't get to the third page before replying!

Stevie Reid
17-10-2012, 10:45 AM

Jonny do you remember anything about this: -

Did David Duff or Jim Gray not come out with a statement at one point along the lines of "'If Diego Maradona became available and somehow wanted to sign for Hibs, we could afford to fund that transfer'?

I'm sure I read that in a tabloid not long after the Duff and Gray took over.

PatHead
17-10-2012, 01:39 PM
Darren Fletcher

Everyone was desperate to sign Darren at the time and Hibs were only part of a long queue. We certainly didn't walk away from him he chose Man Utd.

sleeping giant
17-10-2012, 09:00 PM

Mind that :agree:

Papers were stating he wanted 50k signing on fee.
Sure he was banging them in for Liverpool at the beginning too. We ended up signing Mark McGraw :greengrin

Jonnyboy
17-10-2012, 09:06 PM
I recall speaking to Dougie Crombe about this just around the time he signed for Bari. Between fags Dougie told me that we tried hard to get Platt and had even, tentatively, agreed a fee with Crewe (?) but trying to strike a deal with Platt himself became impossible when Villa came on the scene and DC felt we were being used so that Platt got a better personal deal. Basically whatever we offered Villa offered more. It went on for a wee while till we eventually pulled the plug.

For it to be said that we "lost out" on him is a bit harsh.

That sounds about right Kaiser (including the smoking bit :greengrin)

Jonnyboy
17-10-2012, 09:08 PM
Jonny do you remember anything about this: -

I'm sure I read that in a tabloid not long after the Duff and Gray took over.

I'm pretty well certain that the info was included in a match programme article

jgl07
17-10-2012, 09:58 PM
http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/2765263/.html#ixzz29XNGO8Dg

This was published in 2009. Williamson left Hibs in 2004.

Classic urban myth written by a lazy journalist seven years after the event.

Future17
17-10-2012, 10:08 PM
This was published in 2009. Williamson left Hibs in 2004.

Classic urban myth written by a lazy journalist seven years after the event.

Nothing to do with journalism. Either John Robertson is a liar or it's true.

jgl07
17-10-2012, 10:21 PM

John Robertson wanting to spread lies about Hibs?

I can believe that.

If it was true why say nothing for six or seven years before blabbing to the Sun.

tamig
17-10-2012, 10:30 PM
John Robertson wanting to spread lies about Hibs?

I can believe that.

If it was true why say nothing for six or seven years before blabbing to the Sun.

That story has been doing the rounds for a lot longer than you make out. Are you really suggesting it's all a myth? Are you BW calling in from Uganda? Maybe Robbo had never been asked the question before the Sun guy raised it.

Peevemor
17-10-2012, 11:24 PM

... and so is Donald Park, who told me the same story.

Stevie Reid
18-10-2012, 10:30 AM
I'm pretty well certain that the info was included in a match programme article

Thanks! :thumbsup: