PDA

View Full Version : Pat Nevin playing football on 5 Live in a Hibs strip!

Hibbyradge
13-10-2012, 11:52 AM
Just heard it on the radio.

"I see you're in a Hibernian strip, Pat".

"Yes, although I never played for Hibs, it's the team I support".

Gaun yerself, wee fella!

Moulin Yarns
13-10-2012, 11:55 AM
I think it's about time that Hibs approach Pat Nevin and offer him some kind of ambassador type roll at the club. Or maybe Director of Football.

Steve-O
13-10-2012, 12:01 PM
I think it's about time that Hibs approach Pat Nevin and offer him some kind of ambassador type roll at the club. Or maybe Director of Football.

Nah, the players would get too confused about whether it was Fenlon or Nevin that was talking to them.

SRHibs
13-10-2012, 12:17 PM

Yeah, it's about time we got back to disregarding merit, and instead appointing people based on their affinity with the club!

marinello59
13-10-2012, 12:18 PM

Why?

blackpoolhibs
13-10-2012, 12:21 PM
Yeah, it's about time we got back to disregarding merit, and instead appointing people based on their affinity with the club!

I like Pat, he talks a lot of sense. I personally think he'd be an asset to the club, personally i'd much rather hear him speaking to and for us than anyone else on the board.

500miles
13-10-2012, 12:30 PM
I like Pat, he talks a lot of sense. I personally think he'd be an asset to the club, personally i'd much rather hear him speaking to and for us than anyone else on the board.

Wasn't Pat on the Motherwell board when they went into administration?

Edit: Just checked, he was Chief Executive, and resigned when Boyle brought in the administrators.

ian cruise
13-10-2012, 01:21 PM

Edit: Just checked, he was Chief Executive, and resigned when Boyle brought in the administrators.

He is on record as resigning because he disagreed with Boyles decision to put Motherwell into administration. He saw no good reason to do it given how low their actual debt was and felt it was being fine for wrong reasons

hibsmad
13-10-2012, 02:30 PM
Why?

Seems pretty obvious. Pat is a well known figure in British football and his input would carry a lot of weight in negotiations for new signings/attracting promising youth players to the club.

I would not say director of football but certainly some kind of ambassadorial role would be worth looking at.

Plenty of other clubs do similar.

hibees 7062
13-10-2012, 05:09 PM
Seems pretty obvious. Pat is a well known figure in British football and his input would carry a lot of weight in negotiations for new signings/attracting promising youth players to the club.

I would not say director of football but certainly some kind of ambassadorial role would be worth looking at.

:agree:

marinello59
13-10-2012, 05:20 PM

If being a TV pundit is a perfect qualification then who else do you think we should offer a job too? I like Pat Nevin but I think he is far too intelligent to even consider giving up his present role to go in to the firing line with Hibs.

heretoday
13-10-2012, 06:30 PM
It's one of the "heartening" things about being a Hibby these days knowing that Pat Nevin is one of us.

How did he become a Hibs fan again?

he must have started out as a Jungle Jim surely?

The_Exile
13-10-2012, 06:34 PM
I think he got fed up of going to Sellick games and hearing more about politics than football so decided to migrate over to the cabbage. Gawn yersel Pat :aok:

Bostonhibby
13-10-2012, 06:55 PM

:agree: met him on the terracing (alright, a grassy mound) at the Berwick friendly last pre season - football man, grounded and happily a Hibby - nap for the fan's rep on the board if the club were ever far sighted enough to offer him it. Maybe all the small shareholders could get together and proxy him our slot at the AGM if he wanted to do more than just support from the terracing. However he supports Hibs I am very pleased to have him associated with my team.

hibsmad
13-10-2012, 07:29 PM
If being a TV pundit is a perfect qualification then who else do you think we should offer a job too? I like Pat Nevin but I think he is far too intelligent to even consider giving up his present role to go in to the firing line with Hibs.

He's not just a TV pundit. He has also played for a few half decent sides. He also talks a lot of sense. Plus he is a Hibs fan.

An ambassadorial role would not mean him having to give up his current role on TV. His TV duties will already be known and any role at Hibs would work around this.

Off course he might still not fancy it but I'd have him involved in a heartbeat if he was interested.

marinello59
13-10-2012, 07:33 PM
He's not just a TV pundit. He has also played for a few half decent sides. He also talks a lot of sense. Plus he is a Hibs fan.

An ambassadorial role would not mean him having to give up his current role on TV. His TV duties will already be known and any role at Hibs would work around this.

Off course he might still not fancy it but I'd have him involved in a heartbeat if he was interested.

Most TV pundits have played for a few half decent sides. Several of them talk a lot of sense. Surely you are not suggesting that because he says nice things about Hibs we should give him a made up job and pay him money which would be better spent on players?

J-C
13-10-2012, 07:40 PM

I sat next to Pat a couple of years ago when I had my season ticket, he explained to me what had happened at Motherwell, I wouldn't read too much into Pat's job there, a few behind the scenes things were going on outwith his control.
Suffice it to say, he didn't have full control of all monies and people higher up were what shall we say, helping themselves to the coppers.

hibsmad
13-10-2012, 09:22 PM
Most TV pundits have played for a few half decent sides. Several of them talk a lot of sense. Surely you are not suggesting that because he says nice things about Hibs we should give him a made up job and pay him money which would be better spent on players?

If you read my posts you won't have to keep asking me what I am trying to say. No I am not suggesting we look at the possibility of hiring Pat in an ambassadorial role because he "says nice things about Hibs".

I said the fact that he supports Hibs, and that means (along with all the other reasons) that he would be able to talk passionately about the club and sell the club to potential signings.

As far as your comment about the money being better spent on players is concerned. Off course that is correct but there are more pieces to the jigsaw than just players. We need to first of all attract the players. Surely you can see the benefit of that?

KeithTheHibby
14-10-2012, 08:56 AM
Does he still have a season ticket? Used to sit behind me in the east stand but not seen him much last couple of years.

J-C
14-10-2012, 11:52 AM
Does he still have a season ticket? Used to sit behind me in the east stand but not seen him much last couple of years.

I would have thought so as it was mainly for his autistic son, when he's busy doing his pundit stuff his wife brings their lad to the games.

Malthibby
14-10-2012, 12:12 PM
Used to watch him playing for Clyde when I lived in Glasgow so have always had a soft spot for Nevin. Bright guy, great wee footbller & I'm
chuffed he and his son are Hibees. Don't think anyone is suggesting chucking money we don't have at him, just thinking of ways of maximising his Hibbyness
and football experience.
I think that he came on board because he didn't want his son involved in any OF stuff & we were playing really good footie at the time (so we all
know it wasn't yesterday; Mowbray's team, methinks) but he has continued to support through the utter dross of the last two or three years and that
reinforces my view of him as a good guy, possibly with extremely saddo-masochistic tendencies.
GG

J-C
14-10-2012, 01:41 PM
Used to watch him playing for Clyde when I lived in Glasgow so have always had a soft spot for Nevin. Bright guy, great wee footbller & I'm
chuffed he and his son are Hibees. Don't think anyone is suggesting chucking money we don't have at him, just thinking of ways of maximising his Hibbyness
and football experience.
I think that he came on board because he didn't want his son involved in any OF stuff & we were playing really good footie at the time (so we all
know it wasn't yesterday; Mowbray's team, methinks) but he has continued to support through the utter dross of the last two or three years and that
reinforces my view of him as a good guy, possibly with extremely saddo-masochistic tendencies.
GG

He lives down the borders way, Peebles or thereabouts, brought his son to a game and the lad immediately became a Hibee :greengrin As his son is autistic, he decided to bring him regularly, became a fan himself through time.

soupy
14-10-2012, 01:46 PM
He lives down the borders way, Peebles or thereabouts, brought his son to a game and the lad immediately became a Hibee :greengrin As his son is autistic, he decided to bring him regularly, became a fan himself through time.

Stays near eyemouth....

DH1875
14-10-2012, 01:59 PM
I think he got fed up of going to Sellick games and hearing more about politics than football so decided to migrate over to the cabbage. Gawn yersel Pat :aok:

Was more for his son than anything. As already pointed out, the boy has some health issues ans Pat didn't want him having to sit every week listening to the crap that comes with sitting in darkhead. I for one don't have a problem with it and quite like the guy.

FranckSuzy
14-10-2012, 04:01 PM
Just wondered if he would be interested on coming on board with LWT? At least that way it's for the fans, by the fans (in conjunction with the board of course) and not just as a employee.

Hibernia&Alba
14-10-2012, 06:25 PM
It's one of the "heartening" things about being a Hibby these days knowing that Pat Nevin is one of us.

How did he become a Hibs fan again?

he must have started out as a Jungle Jim surely?

He grew up as a Celtic fan but says the bigotry of the Old Firm increasingly bothered him as he got older and he didn't want his own kids exposed to it. I suppose he sees Hibs as a club with the same origins but without the modern day baggage. Well done, Patrick :aok:

theonlywayisup
14-10-2012, 06:32 PM
I saw him at an away game against St. Johnstone at McDairmid Park - mid-week, lost 5-1. He stayed longer than we did!!!

jamieross
14-10-2012, 06:37 PM
Stays near eyemouth....

Stays nearer Duns, see his son quite alot. Went to college with him aswell.

Sir David Gray
14-10-2012, 07:16 PM
Really don't get the constant calls to give Pat Nevin a role at Hibs.

Yes he's a clever man and yes he goes to Hibs games (I still find it hard to believe how you can change your football allegiances, as he has done, but that's another story.)

He's really got no track record within football since he retired 12 years ago so I'm not sure why there's such a clamour for Hibs to give him a role.

Hibs90
14-10-2012, 09:26 PM

Exactly.

Phil MaGlass
15-10-2012, 09:28 AM
Really don't get the constant calls to give Pat Nevin a role at Hibs.

Yes he's a clever man and yes he goes to Hibs games (I still find it hard to believe how you can change your football allegiances, as he has done, but that's another story.)

He's really got no track record within football since he retired 12 years ago so I'm not sure why there's such a clamour for Hibs to give him a role.

As has been mentioned on a few occassions, he done it for the sake of his son, not wanting his kid brought up in a vile and bigotted enviornment. I dare say he is not the only one, I also know a rangers supporter that stopped going many moons ago for the same reason and now follows amateur football.