I think it was a pen

Steve-O
12-10-2012, 11:20 PM
I think it was a pen

You blind?

Hibstrooper
12-10-2012, 11:25 PM
You blind?

Nope, I think at that pace if you are clipped its easy to go over and in fact Maloney has already came out and held his hands up. What do you say now?

Steve-O
12-10-2012, 11:32 PM
Nope, I think at that pace if you are clipped its easy to go over and in fact Maloney has already came out and held his hands up. What do you say now?

I say he was clipped, by his own leg, and Maloney didn't touch him. Holding hands up means is a proclamation of innocence, not guilt!

Luna Landing
12-10-2012, 11:39 PM
If that penalty had been given against England because of a dive by a foreign player you would have got all the usual stuff about foreigners diving and it needs to be stamped out of the game and there would have been absolute bedlam in the Sky studio. Because it was Bale who plays for a top Premier League club he was entitled to go down according to Mark Bowen. Basically he tripped himself and he's a cheat simple as that . Ramsay also dived twicw -absolute scandal in my opinion and as for the disallowed goal dont get me started.

Hibstrooper
12-10-2012, 11:45 PM
I say he was clipped, by his own leg, and Maloney didn't touch him. Holding hands up means is a proclamation of innocence, not guilt!

"I accept responsibility for conceding the penalty," the Scotland midfielder said.

And goodnight

MWHIBBIES
12-10-2012, 11:46 PM
Hardly the first time he has done it as well, horrible cheating *******

Hibstrooper
12-10-2012, 11:50 PM
"I accept responsibility for conceding the penalty," the Scotland midfielder said.

And goodnight

PS taken straight from the bbc site just don't know how to post link on iPhone.

No conspiracy or robbing in Scotland getting beat tonight is all I'm saying

Steve-O
12-10-2012, 11:54 PM
PS taken straight from the bbc site just don't know how to post link on iPhone.

Still think it was a dive, but we probably didn't merit a win I agree.

Hibstrooper
13-10-2012, 12:03 AM
Still think it was a dive, but we probably didn't merit a win I agree.

Hold on, you call me blind for thinking that he was clipped and it was a pen, the Scotland player has came out and said it was a pen and apologised. Am I missing something?

All I want to know is whether you still think I'm blind or not?

Luna Landing
13-10-2012, 12:04 AM
I think the TV pictures were pretty clear - Maloney didnt touch him and if anything tried to get out of the way ( he was pretty close to Bale so I would imagine he felt he had to accept responsibility whether it was apen or not) - Bale tripped himself from what I saw . Blatant dive

Steve-O
13-10-2012, 12:11 AM
Hold on, you call me blind for thinking that he was clipped and it was a pen, the Scotland player has came out and said it was a pen and apologised. Am I missing something?

All I want to know is whether you still think I'm blind or not?

He doesn't say he touched him. Perhaps he accepts responsibility for letting him get past him in the first place?

Hibstrooper
13-10-2012, 12:12 AM
I think the TV pictures were pretty clear - Maloney didnt touch him and if anything tried to get out of the way ( he was pretty close to Bale so I would imagine he felt he had to accept responsibility whether it was apen or not) - Bale tripped himself from what I saw . Blatant dive

Ok. Bale did trip over his own leg. However the reason he tripped over his own leg was because the movement of his left foot was changed because it was caught by Shaun Maloney's thigh.

Was it intentional? No

Did it cause Bale to trip? Yes

Was it a pen? Yes

Is antone in the Scotland camp disputing the pen (including Maloney)? No

Hibstrooper
13-10-2012, 12:16 AM
He doesn't say he touched him. Perhaps he accepts responsibility for letting him get past him in the first place?

Seriously, is that what you are clinging too rather than apologising for slagging me when I called it correctly?

Wotherspiniesta
13-10-2012, 12:25 AM
Ok. Bale did trip over his own leg. However the reason he tripped over his own leg was because the movement of his left foot was changed because it was caught by Shaun Maloney's thigh.

Was it intentional? No

Did it cause Bale to trip? Yes

Was it a pen? Yes

Is antone in the Scotland camp disputing the pen (including Maloney)? No

Well, thats utter nonsense. Maybe you should try actually watching he clip posted by Steve instead of making up stories to suit your arguement?

Bale's dived. Simple as that.

The referee and linesmen were absolutely terrible tonight. Just about every major decision they called wrong. Wales should have had a pen when Berra bearhugged the CF (What was he playing at there?!) Ramsey should have had a 2nd yellow for simulation. Scotland's goal should never have been chalked off and Bale tripped himself up to win a pen and should have had a 2nd yellow for simulation. Absolute shambles.

Hibstrooper
13-10-2012, 12:36 AM
Well, thats utter nonsense. Maybe you should try actually watching he clip posted by Steve instead of making up stories to suit your arguement?

I do apologise, the only part I made up was I said left foot instead of right foot , although that was a mistake instead of a guenuine error.

The Scotland player who tripped him has came out and held his hands up but hey don't let that get in the way of your point.

Hibstrooper
13-10-2012, 12:44 AM

The referee and linesmen were absolutely terrible tonight. Just about every major decision they called wrong. Wales should have had a pen when Berra bearhugged the CF (What was he playing at there?!) Ramsey should have had a 2nd yellow for simulation. Scotland's goal should never have been chalked off and Bale tripped himself up to win a pen and should have had a 2nd yellow for simulation. Absolute shambles.

I also love how you can tell with 100% certainty that Maloney didn't touch Bale, you've got to love those transparent legs of Maloney that let you know that without any shadow of doubt he didn't touch him and the player admitting he did is just utter tripe too!

CmoantheHibs
13-10-2012, 01:41 AM
Im with Hibstrooper on this one.Its a pen although unfortunate.Its only a slight touch from Maloney but without it Bale wouldnt have tripped.

McHibby
13-10-2012, 01:46 AM

Spot on. Although I will say I can see why the ref awarded the penalty, cause at first glance it did look like he'd been tripped. But obviously the replays show that there was no contact at all.

--------
13-10-2012, 01:50 AM
Im with Hibstrooper on this one.Its a pen although unfortunate.Its only a slight touch from Maloney but without it Bale wouldnt have tripped.

It was a penalty. Maloney got too close and just clipped Bale. It was a very slight contact, but a contact, and illegal, so a penalty.

The referee was eccentric to say the least, but IMO his complete ignoring of Idiot Berra's rugby tackle was cancelled out by his disallowing a perfectly good goal by Fletcher.

I can't see how anyone on the Scotland side can have any complaints, really - 90 minutes of Potter's trademark hoofball and the Welsh running rings round a non-existent midfield in the second half.

And the Tartan Army generally outsung by the Welsh ....

Pete
13-10-2012, 04:37 AM
I haven't seen the game or any other incident from it but that's a definite penalty.

The Scotland number 6 runs right across his right leg as it was in the air...it wasn't just a clip. If you watch Bales right leg closely you will see the change of direction and the "kicking himself" was inevitable.

No complaints and certainly no dive.

edit: if you look closely the foul is committed by his right thigh...or maybe even the left!!

Hibercelona
13-10-2012, 04:52 AM
I can't believe what i'm hearing and reading from some other people.

There was quite clearly "zero" contact.

Watch the clip, then watch it again, then watch it yet again, there was "no" contact whatsoever. :hilarious

Footballs dead with decisions like that.

Hibercelona
13-10-2012, 04:53 AM
I haven't seen the game or any other incident from it but that's a definite penalty.

The Scotland number 6 runs right across his right leg as it was in the air...it wasn't just a clip. If you watch Bales right leg closely you will see the change of direction and the "kicking himself" was inevitable.

No complaints and certainly no dive.

edit: if you look closely the foul is committed by his right thigh...or maybe even the left!!

PS. I realize this one is a complete piss take. :wink:

Pete
13-10-2012, 04:55 AM

I beg your pardon!

SteveHFC
13-10-2012, 04:57 AM

:wink:

Pete
13-10-2012, 05:00 AM
:wink:

Are you a wee winker too?:confused:

Hibercelona
13-10-2012, 05:01 AM
I beg your pardon!

My apologies.

Just watched it for the 99th time and couldn't believe how I missed the obvious assault.

Amazed that Maloney stayed on the pitch after such a vicious attack.

Pete
13-10-2012, 05:13 AM
My apologies.

Just watched it for the 99th time and couldn't believe how I missed the obvious assault.

Amazed that Maloney stayed on the pitch after such a vicious attack.

Watch it when you are sober. If you are sober then watch it when you are actually awake.

Your assessment that it has to be an obvious "assault" to mean a penalty means you're not really up for debating the ins and outs of this incident.

I think you're the one taking the piss.

marinello59
13-10-2012, 05:36 AM
I've watched it over and over again. Initially I thought it wasn't a penalty but now I think it was. Scotland got what they deserved last night. The ref was poor but not as poor as the guy managing our team.

HibeesLA
13-10-2012, 06:34 AM

So no goal chopped off for the ball not going out of play?

Regardless of the penalty, that was a game changer, and Scotland would have been well in command at that point.

weonlywon6-2
13-10-2012, 06:57 AM
I didnt think it was a penalty however he was the difference between the sides tonight.We could not deal with him at all.

Wales were rubbish and i never thought we would lose after we scored.Dont see why Fletchers goal was ruled out,had that counted we would have won easily.

Levien is not the answer, we need a big and trusted name in charge.We are not going to qualify now so lets make the most of the rest of the games with a new manager.

GordonHFC
13-10-2012, 06:59 AM
Who really cares. At least it now means we are even in the cheating penalty stakes in a World Cup qualifier. The taffs have waited a long time for revenge?

Holmesdale Hibs
13-10-2012, 07:08 AM
Don't think it was a penalty. In fact, I think it's generous to suggest anything other than Bale took a dive. From the clip posted earlier its difficult to see any contact. Good player though, imagine how good he'll be when he evolves.

I only saw the Fletcher goal in the pub last night and they showed a replay right along the goal line that showed the ball was nowhere near going out. Of that's why it was chopped of then it's a crazy decision.

I'm not saying we played well or even deserved to win but the ref screwed us in that game.

Biggie
13-10-2012, 07:17 AM
Don't think it was a penalty. In fact, I think it's generous to suggest anything other than Bale took a dive. From the clip posted earlier its difficult to see any contact. Good player though, imagine how good he'll be when he evolves.

I only saw the Fletcher goal in the pub last night and they showed a replay right along the goal line that showed the ball was nowhere near going out. Of that's why it was chopped of then it's a crazy decision.

I'm not saying we played well or even deserved to win but the ref screwed us in that game.

2-0 game over...welsh will be loving this after them bleating on about the poor decisions they've had in previous w/c qualifiers against us...here's hoping we're not still greeting about it 20 years from now.

TornadoHibby
13-10-2012, 07:33 AM
I do apologise, the only part I made up was I said left foot instead of right foot , although that was a mistake instead of a guenuine error.

The Scotland player who tripped him has came out and held his hands up but hey don't let that get in the way of your point.

I think you are misguided in your "view" as anyone who has played sport knows when someone has been "clipped" and when someone "dives" or "simulates" being clipped in passing another player!

Bale clearly and very obviously kicks his own leg before falling to the ground when he is fully aware that Maloney was close enough to him to ensure that the very poor referree will award a penalty!

Whilst I think that Bale is a great footballer, there is no place in my admiration for him for cheating like he did with the penalty last night! His goal on the other hand.....what the ****** was Charlie Adam doing let him get too far away from him before making any attempt to prevent the inevitable shot which screamed home!

Whilst we are on the "we wuz done" theme, please tell me why Steven Fletcher's headed goal which would have put us 2 nil up was disallowed as I have watched the Sky replays several times now and can see no infringement!

TornadoHibby
13-10-2012, 07:48 AM

Unbelievable comment mate!

What about Fletcher's goal on top of Bale's cheating for the penalty???

2 nil up before Bale cheated would have ensured three points for Scotland!

matty_f
13-10-2012, 07:50 AM
If, as hibstrooper is saying, Maloney said he fouled Bale then surely that's that - we accept it wasn't a dive and therefore Bank's not cheated?
Wouldn't Maloney have 100% certainty, rather than us armchair fans looking for the contact from fairly inconclusive angles?

GoldenEagle
13-10-2012, 08:04 AM
I can't believe what i'm hearing and reading from some other people.

There was quite clearly "zero" contact.

Watch the clip, then watch it again, then watch it yet again, there was "no" contact whatsoever. :hilarious

Footballs dead with decisions like that.

Your the same guy who believes that additional refs on the goal line are a waste of space eh....anything to add after Scotland's 2nd goal was ruled out by lino trying to do two jobs, ie offside and ball out of play.
Heavens even at other end he may have spoke to ref said that 'no pen'.

TornadoHibby
13-10-2012, 08:08 AM
If, as hibstrooper is saying, Maloney said he fouled Bale then surely that's that - we accept it wasn't a dive and therefore Bank's not cheated?
Wouldn't Maloney have 100% certainty, rather than us armchair fans looking for the contact from fairly inconclusive angles?

I think the point is that Maloney apparently "accepted responsibility for the penalty" which is not an admission of committing any foul on Bale IMO!

I watched it on Sky several times Matty and did not see Maloney touch Bale but did very clearly see Bale kick the back of his own leg once past Maloney before falling to the turf as if Maloney had actually brought him down! When I played football (which wasn't yesterday) Bale would have been laughed off the park for what he did last night and he should have been yellow carded for it not encouraged to keep doing it as the penalty award will do for him! :confused:

matty_f
13-10-2012, 08:15 AM
Why would Maloney accept responsibility for the penalty if he never touched him? :confused: That's absurd. I have never seen or heard a football watch someone dive then say it was their fault. That's mental.

TornadoHibby
13-10-2012, 08:24 AM
Why would Maloney accept responsibility for the penalty if he never touched him? :confused: That's absurd. I have never seen or heard a football watch someone dive then say it was their fault. That's mental.

Hmmmm.....!

Not really in my view as he could be admitting that he "was sucked into getting close enough to Bale to allow him to do what he did"!?

I've personally seen that kind of thing many times in modern football as this simulation disease grows more arms and legs by the game!

I'm not going to argue about this though. I believe that Maloney could be meaning that but understand that you don't!

I also believe, from what I have seen from every camera angle that Sky had on the incident last night (and there were more than a few) that Bale cheated and will never have the same respect for the guy again great player that he undoubtedly is!

Hibstrooper
13-10-2012, 08:36 AM
So no goal chopped off for the ball not going out of play?

Regardless of the penalty, that was a game changer, and Scotland would have been well in command at that point.

I worded my post specifically like that because I knew people would be complaining about that goal. It was annoying however balanced out by the fact our goal was offside. All I'm trying to say is that we weren't robbed and it wasn't Gareth Bale's or the ref's fault we got beat.

This is what still flabbergasts me. Maloney has come out and apologised which he wouldn't do if there wasn't any contact but still people are insistent and certain that they know better than the player himself.

HibbyKeith
13-10-2012, 08:44 AM
The camera angles are not helping. personally I think there was very minimal contact on Bale's trailing leg, not enough for him to go down but enough to knock off course and into the back of his planted leg. There are folk complaining about Scotland should have been 2-0 up and plain sailing, but seem to be forgetting the blatant penalty that Wales should have had, after Berra sexually assaulted the lad on the 6 yard line that could have taken the game to 1-1.

The decision to disallow Fletcher's goal was disappointing, BUT.. Charlie Adam was offside prior to swinging the cross in, so justice done if we are going by the letter of the law....

Scotland got what they deserved last night. The sooner we get rid of Levein the better. I just hope they do it soon enough that whoever takes over gets the chance to play competitive games prior to the next euro qualifiers.

Hibstrooper
13-10-2012, 08:46 AM
I think you are misguided in your "view" as anyone who has played sport knows when someone has been "clipped" and when someone "dives" or "simulates" being clipped in passing another player!

Bale clearly and very obviously kicks his own leg before falling to the ground when he is fully aware that Maloney was close enough to him to ensure that the very poor referree will award a penalty!

Whilst I think that Bale is a great footballer, there is no place in my admiration for him for cheating like he did with the penalty last night! His goal on the other hand.....what the ****** was Charlie Adam doing let him get too far away from him before making any attempt to prevent the inevitable shot which screamed home!

Whilst we are on the "we wuz done" theme, please tell me why Steven Fletcher's headed goal which would have put us 2 nil up was disallowed as I have watched the Sky replays several times now and can see no infringement!

Have you seen Maloney's interview? I don't understand why you seem to be trying to interpret what he saying rather than just take it at face value?

Television footage suggested that Bale had tripped over his own feet in winning the penalty from which he scored the opener, but Shaun Maloney admitted that he clipped the Tottenham Hotspur midfielder.

LeighLoyal
13-10-2012, 08:48 AM
Bale is a cheat, the linesman is a crook and the ref a sh itter. :fuming:

Gala Foxes
13-10-2012, 08:51 AM
Charlie Adams was a disgrace at the 2nd goal, what was going through his mind ?

"Bale's taken a quick free kick, I should close him down, no, I've been on for a couple of minutes now and am knackered, lets face it i can't be arsed to challenge him"

Pitiful

lapsedhibee
13-10-2012, 09:00 AM
Have you seen Maloney's interview? I don't understand why you seem to be trying to interpret what he saying rather than just take it at face value?

Television footage suggested that Bale had tripped over his own feet in winning the penalty from which he scored the opener, but Shaun Maloney admitted that he clipped the Tottenham Hotspur midfielder.

Haven't seen Maloney's interview, but the wording of his comment above is a bit odd. Following Michael Owen's statement about the two international penalties he earned against Argentinia, think there is going to be quite a bit more doublespeak to muddy the waters. Expect much more talk, for example, about "drawing contact" than "being fouled".

TornadoHibby
13-10-2012, 09:09 AM

No, I haven't been able to find it!!

Perhaps you could post a link to it so that I can look at what you keep quoting from?

R'Albin
13-10-2012, 09:12 AM
It was a penalty. Maloney got too close and just clipped Bale. It was a very slight contact, but a contact, and illegal, so a penalty.

The referee was eccentric to say the least, but IMO his complete ignoring of Idiot Berra's rugby tackle was cancelled out by his disallowing a perfectly good goal by Fletcher.

I can't see how anyone on the Scotland side can have any complaints, really - 90 minutes of Potter's trademark hoofball and the Welsh running rings round a non-existent midfield in the second half.

:agree:

tamig
13-10-2012, 09:16 AM
Bale was streets ahead of any other player on the park. He ripped us apart - pure and simple. Scotland got what was coming to them.

StevieC
13-10-2012, 09:21 AM
Can't believe some of the "dive" accusations on here.
Bale was ghosting past our defenders and into the box for most of the game without going down and when he did his leg was clearly caught, which Maloney admits.
They had a stonewall penalty turned down and the linesman missed an offside in the lead up to Fletchers "goal".

Rather than let a (correct) penalty decision cloud the issues, I'd personally be asking why Maloney (at this stage of his career) was left tracking their best player into the box at that stage of the game. And what Adam was meant to be doing for the 2nd goal.
Two players, that I would say were creative players, left to track their best player.

tamig
13-10-2012, 09:23 AM
Bale was ghosting past our defenders and into the box for most of the game without going down and when he did his leg was clearly caught, which Maloney admits.
They had a stonewall penalty turned down and the linesman missed an offside in the lead up to Fletchers "goal".

Rather than let a (correct) penalty decision cloud the issues, I'd personally be asking why Maloney (at this stage of his career) was left tracking their best player into the box at that stage of the game. And what Adam was meant to be doing for the 2nd goal.
Two players, that I would say were creative players, left to track their best player.

Indeed. It was happening from the start. And what did Levein do to counter it? Nothing. As I said, Scotland got what was coming to them.

Steve-O
13-10-2012, 09:28 AM

I can't see Maloney saying "I clipped him"?

Steve-O
13-10-2012, 09:30 AM
The camera angles are not helping. personally I think there was very minimal contact on Bale's trailing leg, not enough for him to go down but enough to knock off course and into the back of his planted leg. There are folk complaining about Scotland should have been 2-0 up and plain sailing, but seem to be forgetting the blatant penalty that Wales should have had, after Berra sexually assaulted the lad on the 6 yard line that could have taken the game to 1-1.

The decision to disallow Fletcher's goal was disappointing, BUT.. Charlie Adam was offside prior to swinging the cross in, so justice done if we are going by the letter of the law....

Scotland got what they deserved last night. The sooner we get rid of Levein the better. I just hope they do it soon enough that whoever takes over gets the chance to play competitive games prior to the next euro qualifiers.

So if we are saying Maloney has very slightly brushed his leg, is that a foul? I thought football was a contact sport?

bingo70
13-10-2012, 09:35 AM

Agreed.

IMO it was a stone waller and if wales had taken there chances we would have got pumped by about 4 so the reason we lost is definately nothing to do with the ref.

HUTCHYHIBBY
13-10-2012, 09:39 AM

A perfect summary of the evenings events.

TornadoHibby
13-10-2012, 09:42 AM
Just saw the match highlights on SoccerAM and they also showed a dive from a recent Spurs game when Bale saw a keeper coming out to clear as if a sweeper and times his clear dive to perfection except the cameras show NO CONTACT (again) and fortunately the linesman was close enough to that one (near the touchline) to see that there was no contact, no foul AND no red card for the keeper!

Gone down even further in my estimation as a superb footballer with no morals and no regrets about cheating to beat opponents!

And they say Lance Armstrong cheated too! What's the difference between that and what Bale, Suarez and many other footballers now do to win matches for their teams?

This match deciding disease is now affecting too many games and club (and country) fortunes and ordinary folk will stop watching football live if something effective isn't done about it and very soon!

Tony Pullis made an excellent suggestion recently which would be a good starting point IMO! Ban the divers for three matches starting with the one after the one they dived in with video evidence allowed to be used to compensate for incompetence amongst referees on such matters!

LaMotta
13-10-2012, 09:44 AM

Agree with all that.

Bale was impeded so penalty. Maloney got the wrong side of him, then having done so he got too close to him. Having had shouts for pens already then it was inevitable the next claim would be given.

Adam was a disgrace at the second goal, fat lazy turd.

HIBERNIAN-0762
13-10-2012, 09:46 AM
Never mind all this endless debate eh? Bale dived, period he's a dirty cheat and so is Ramsey, if this had been against england we would never hear the end of it.

We were cheated out of 3 points and the SFA should complain to FIFA about those so called officials.

That is all :wink:

hfc rd
13-10-2012, 09:51 AM
It did look like Bale tripped over his own leg. But then again folk shouldn't forget the pen Wales should have had earlier on. The one where that idiot Berra looked as if he was trying to rape Davies in his own six yard box looked an absolute stone-waller.

Skanko79
13-10-2012, 09:55 AM
didnt deserve the win, but bale dived, simple as. made up with it with a screamer 5 minutes later though.

revenge for 77..............

Hibstrooper
13-10-2012, 10:26 AM
No, I haven't been able to find it!!

Perhaps you could post a link to it so that I can look at what you keep quoting from?

I'm quoting from the bottom of this article...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19934500

Or see one of the "various" sources they reference in the fourth paragraph on this page...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19935829

Or you could pick up a Daily Record, top of the back page leads with the heading "It was a pen" and has less ambiguous quotes from Maloney for you.

Case closed?

magpie1892
13-10-2012, 10:43 AM

Or see one of the "various" sources they reference in the fourth paragraph on this page...

Or you could pick up a Daily Record, top of the back page leads with the heading "It was a pen" and has less ambiguous quotes from Maloney for you.

Case closed?

Case was closed as soon as Maloney said it was a pen and accepted responsibility. Why is there three pages of this ****?

Hiber-nation
13-10-2012, 10:47 AM
It did look like Bale tripped over his own leg. But then again folk shouldn't forget the pen Wales should have had earlier on. The one where that idiot Berra looked as if he was trying to rape Davies in his own six yard box looked an absolute stone-waller.

The replay showed that Berra was fouled first.

Speedy
13-10-2012, 10:49 AM

Case closed?

Not for me, I didn't see one quote from Maloney saying he fouled him.

I did see a journalist, taking a quote and adding to it to make their own story though.

Speedy
13-10-2012, 10:51 AM
I worded my post specifically like that because I knew people would be complaining about that goal. It was annoying however balanced out by the fact our goal was offside. All I'm trying to say is that we weren't robbed and it wasn't Gareth Bale's or the ref's fault we got beat.

This is what still flabbergasts me. Maloney has come out and apologised which he wouldn't do if there wasn't any contact but still people are insistent and certain that they know better than the player himself.

Which goal was offside?

Hibstrooper
13-10-2012, 10:56 AM
Not for me, I didn't see one quote from Maloney saying he fouled him.

I did see a journalist, taking a quote and adding to it to make their own story though.

Jeez oh

He said: “It was very disappointing after all the effort we put in. I’m so disappointed for everyone involved. The penalty decision swung the game in their favour and I feel awful about that. I think there might have been a bit of contact, to be fair to Bale.
“It wasn’t a challenge as such, he just ran across me and part of his legs touched mine. I don’t think he dived. It was just a coming together.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/scotland-star-shaun-maloney-says-1376690

sambajustice
13-10-2012, 10:58 AM

Our goal wasnt offside. You cant be offside from a goal kick!

Bale and Ramsey and the Welsh in general are diving cheating ****!

None of this would have happened if the officials did their job and sent off Ramsey and didnt rule our second out for nothing! Quite simply one of the worst refereeing performances i've ever seen and the welsh should be ashamed of themselves!

Hopefully Charlie Adam and Stoke in general see to it soon that Bale and Ramsey go down and stay down this time. Again.

Steve-O
13-10-2012, 10:58 AM
Jeez oh

He said: “It was very disappointing after all the effort we put in. I’m so disappointed for everyone involved. The penalty decision swung the game in their favour and I feel awful about that. I think there might have been a bit of contact, to be fair to Bale.
“It wasn’t a challenge as such, he just ran across me and part of his legs touched mine. I don’t think he dived. It was just a coming together.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/scotland-star-shaun-maloney-says-1376690

Sounds like he doesn't believe it was a foul then? No intent? Maybe it should've been an indirect free kick if that's the case?

He possibly brushed past him...that brushing past did not cause Bale to go down, Bale clipping his own leg caused him to go down. No penalty.

bingo70
13-10-2012, 11:02 AM
Sounds like he doesn't believe it was a foul then? No intent? Maybe it should've been an indirect free kick if that's the case?

He possibly brushed past him...that brushing past did not cause Bale to go down, Bale clipping his own leg caused him to go down. No penalty.

Think you're clutching at straws there a bit mate.

Bale made a run into the box, Maloney was the wrong side of him and made contact that caused him to go down therefore a definate penalty.

If it was the other way round and the Welsh player admitted contact but never got given a penalty for the reasons you mentioned we'd be going absolutely bonkers.

We were beaten by the better team last night and it wasn't because of a dodgy penalty.

Speedy
13-10-2012, 11:05 AM
Jeez oh

Fair enough, would've helped if you posted that link in the post.

Still not convinced those quotes amount to 'I fouled him' but certainly adds to the debate.

Steve-O
13-10-2012, 11:05 AM
Think you're clutching at straws there a bit mate.

Bale made a run into the box, Maloney was the wrong side of him and made contact that caused him to go down therefore a definate penalty.

If it was the other way round and the Welsh player admitted contact but never got given a penalty for the reasons you mentioned we'd be going absolutely bonkers.

We were beaten by the better team last night and it wasn't because of a dodgy penalty.

I'm not disputing Scotland were pish and I don't really think this incident alone cost us the match. The contact was so minimal, in what is a contact sport, I do not believe it was a foul. It's unfortunate Bale tripped himself over, but I still am unconvinced that a penalty should be given for that.

Speedy
13-10-2012, 11:07 AM

Bale and Ramsey and the Welsh in general are diving cheating ****!

None of this would have happened if the officials did their job and sent off Ramsey and didnt rule our second out for nothing! Quite simply one of the worst refereeing performances i've ever seen and the welsh should be ashamed of themselves!

Hopefully Charlie Adam and Stoke in general see to it soon that Bale and Ramsey go down and stay down this time. Again.

Even ignoring the penalty there's no denying Wales were cheating. Ramsey was a disgrace, I've got no respect for him after that performance.

Biggest disgrace of the night was Charlie Adam, posted missed at both goals.

bingo70
13-10-2012, 11:10 AM
I'm not disputing Scotland were pish and I don't really think this incident alone cost us the match. The contact was so minimal, in what is a contact sport, I do not believe it was a foul. It's unfortunate Bale tripped himself over, but I still am unconvinced that a penalty should be given for that.

So in the next derby a hearts player makes contact with a hibs player in the box causing him to go down you won't think it's a penalty as it's a contact sport?

Sorry mate i really think you're looking at this with blue tinted specs on.

I think anyone impartial would look at the incident and the quotes from Maloney and agree it was a penalty.

Hibstrooper
13-10-2012, 11:16 AM
Fair enough, would've helped if you posted that link in the post.

Still not convinced those quotes amount to 'I fouled him' but certainly adds to the debate.

I'm no your skivvy, it wasn't that hard to find!

I'm sure Maloney didn't intentionally foul him however how many penalties are the result of intentional fouls? Our penalty last week, do you think the guy purposely went to bring Cairney down for example?

The discussion isn't about Maloney's intention it was whether it was a penalty or not which the offending player has came out and confirmed it was. Amazingly that's still not enough for some folk.

Hibstrooper
13-10-2012, 11:21 AM

I never knew that, that does make it more annoying then!

Was still a pen though :na na:

Steve-O
13-10-2012, 11:24 AM
So in the next derby a hearts player makes contact with a hibs player in the box causing him to go down you won't think it's a penalty as it's a contact sport?

Sorry mate i really think you're looking at this with blue tinted specs on.

I think anyone impartial would look at the incident and the quotes from Maloney and agree it was a penalty.

If the contact is the merest of light touches (and I don't mean a clip of heels etc), then no I probably wouldn't expect a penalty. I've seen MUCH more blatant pens than that not given.

http://www.whoateallthepies.tv/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/bale-dive.gif

Hibbyradge
13-10-2012, 11:26 AM

“It was very disappointing after all the effort we put in. I’m so disappointed for everyone involved. The penalty decision swung the game in their favour and I feel awful about that. I think there might have been a bit of contact, to be fair to Bale.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/f...y-says-1376690

Speedy
13-10-2012, 11:26 AM

I'm sure Maloney didn't intentionally foul him however how many penalties are the result of intentional fouls? Our penalty last week, do you think the guy purposely went to bring Cairney down for example?

The discussion isn't about Maloney's intention it was whether it was a penalty or not which the offending player has came out and confirmed it was. Amazingly that's still not enough for some folk.

OK...you were the one trying to prove a point, posting link might've helped.

I'm not talking about intentions, I just think there is a difference between 'I think I might've touched him' and 'I brought him down, it was a foul'.

Hibbyradge
13-10-2012, 11:29 AM

You're right.

You've been right from the start.

Wotherspiniesta
13-10-2012, 11:31 AM
Bale's just a cheating little prick. Seems you only need to run beside him for him to fall over.

It should also be pointed out that this is very similar to the Sproule "challenge" on the Aberdeen boy up at Pittodrie last season that led to their penalty.

I'm sure the same posters who are claiming contact in this case were fighting the Aberdeen boys corner after that incident aswell, eh? :wink:

Oh and Maloney saying "It wasn't a challenge as such"...How soft do you like your penalties? " I've not challenged him, but it's a penalty" ....Games a bogey!...Just remember this is the same Shaun Maloney who went to the Celtic school of diving.

Steve-O
13-10-2012, 11:33 AM

“It was very disappointing after all the effort we put in. I’m so disappointed for everyone involved. The penalty decision swung the game in their favour and I feel awful about that. I think there might have been a bit of contact, to be fair to Bale.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/f...y-says-1376690

Sounds like Bale ran into Maloney then. Free kick Scotland :agree:

Hibstrooper
13-10-2012, 11:34 AM
OK...you were the one trying to prove a point, posting link might've helped.

I'm not talking about intentions, I just think there is a difference between 'I think I might've touched him' and 'I brought him down, it was a foul'.

Do you think it was a penalty though?

jamieross
13-10-2012, 11:37 AM
From what I seen last night the officials where honking for both sides.

I dont think the pen is a pen, he sprints right across Maloney while theyre moving at speed. How is Maloney to get out the way? On the balance of things it probably canceled out the pen they shoulve got when that fraud Berra molested someone in the box. Wales were looking for pens the entire game though.

All in all, it makes no difference now its more points dropped which you cant get back. Hopefully Potters out the door soon.

Hibstrooper
13-10-2012, 11:39 AM
You're right.

You've been right from the start.

Thank you. After being called blind, told I'm talking nonsense and making things up to suit my argument that's all I wanted to hear :greengrin

HibbyKeith
13-10-2012, 11:43 AM
So if we are saying Maloney has very slightly brushed his leg, is that a foul? I thought football was a contact sport?

IMO If the contact that was made by Maloney (however slight) caused Bale to honestly hit the floor then yes its a foul.

Football is of course a contact sport, had it been Steven Fletcher that was upended via the slightest of touches and we got the penalty scored and won the game, would there be this much debate? i dont think so, the problem is IMO that we fans are asking the players to be honest when they are on the park, but at the same time lack our own honesty, we get the tinted glasses on when the decisions go against us but would be quite happy if it went the other way.

Speedy
13-10-2012, 11:59 AM
Do you think it was a penalty though?

To be honest, I'm not 100% sure.

Watching live I thought it was but I can't see any contact in the replays so I'd tends towards no.

I think it's fair to say it's not a definite penalty.

blackpoolhibs
13-10-2012, 12:14 PM
I dont think there was any contact, i think he dived and cheated. Joe Jordan punched the ball and earned us a penalty, he cheated and is a hero.

I'm a little confused. :confused:

Golden Bear
13-10-2012, 12:17 PM
To be honest, I'm not 100% sure.

Watching live I thought it was but I can't see any contact in the replays so I'd tends towards no.

I think it's fair to say it's not a definite penalty.

He was tripped ----------- but by himself.

Hibercelona
13-10-2012, 12:48 PM
So if a player moves his foot and ever so slightly makes contact with the defending player, its a penalty?

Deary me.

The Voice Of Reason
13-10-2012, 01:25 PM
I dont think there was any contact, i think he dived and cheated. Joe Jordan punched the ball and earned us a penalty, he cheated and is a hero.

I'm a little confused. :confused:

Indeed.

Are the fans back yet ?!?!? :greengrin

Hibbyradge
13-10-2012, 01:48 PM
So if a player moves his foot and ever so slightly makes contact with the defending player, its a penalty?

A direct free kick is awarded to the opposing team if a player commits any of the following seven offences in a manner considered by the referee to be careless, reckless or using excessive force:
Deary me.

I'm afraid so.

A direct free kick is awarded to the opposing team if a player commits any of the following seven offences in a manner considered by the referee to be careless, reckless or using excessive force:

trips or attempts to trip an opponent

Maloney has admitted that he caused Bale to trip.

The referee must have thought that it was careless of him.

RIP
13-10-2012, 01:58 PM
I watched the highlights with my youngest just now. He's a footballer who looks up to Gareth Bale. That is until he saw cynical second half antics of Bale and his team-mates. Twice before the sham penalty, a Wales player dived outrageously in the box. For the one near the penalty spot, Gary Caldwell was raging, demanding that they ref book the diver. The other one, near the goal line and edge of the 6-yard box, the Welsh cheat did a 'Bale' and tripped himself up. It wasn't a big claim but it was definitely a cynical ploy.

Bale could have gone for goal. Instead, he ran across Maloney and pushed the ball over to the edge of the box. He reached back with his right arm and made contact with Shaun. It was five feet outside the box. Running inside the box with insufficient contact having been made to go to the floor, Bale then craftily hooked his right leg behind his own left calf, tripping himself up and falling down in the box.

When Mikolaunas dived against Scotland, we took it all the way to UEFA. Given the way Scotland have been so miserable recently I'm not sure Bale will be demonized in the same way. But he should be, as this disgraceful conduct acts to bring the game into disrepute. Hopefully, wee laddies won't start practicing tripping themselves up to win penalties otherwise it will end up a learned behaviour across the leagues. And all because Wales were still one down with nine minutes to go and running out of ideas. Not only did he fool the ref, he also fooled poor Maloney.

Unfortunately for Bale - the slow motion replay will be his undoing. Update - Try googling Gareth Bale - Cheat - Diver.

matty_f
13-10-2012, 02:13 PM
How could he fool poor Maloney? Surely he knows if he knocked Bale's leg or not?

I think Bale dives usually but in this instance he's not guilty.

TornadoHibby
13-10-2012, 03:22 PM

I think that you are trying to be sanctimonious about something that is not as clear cut as you are making out. If it is within the rules of World football (as one or two of you are now alluding to) that an attacking player can brush lightly against the closest defending player to him, then fall over within the penalty box area kicking the back of one of his own legs with his other leg on the way down just to make it look like it was a trip that put him over and be awarded a penalty then the end of football as a sport is nearly here. Maloney, in his own words, thinks that "he might have brushed against Bale lightly" yet he is now categorised as the guy who brought Bale down in the box.

He did not do that, rather Bale engineered a simulated "incident" between Maloney and himself which was laughable IMO were it not for the fact that a match changing penalty kick was awarded which was what Bale was looking for all along and to achieve that be fair means or foul, the latter being his favourite these days it would appear.

The fact that Berra committed a penalty offence after being fouled by the guy he fouled first is irrelevant to whether Bale's actions could be acceptable to us Scotland fans!

Also irrelevant is that matter of whether Wales played better football than Scotland over 90 minutes ignoring the fact that the stats showed that Scotland had the bulk of possession.

I am no fan of Levein, far from it, but we are talking about cheating here, abuse of the rules if you will which some of you guys are saying clearly is acceptable to you.

It is not acceptable to me and to many others notably Tony Pullis and I hope that his idea of banning the cheating penalty box divers for three matches starting with the one immediately following that in which the cheating dive took place might just go towards identifying celarly those doing it and the manner in which they do it and perhaps lead to it stopping. Video evidence would be used to examine "doubtful" dives where a referee may have missed one during a match.

It has to stop or football as we know it is finished. I would not watch matches where such an incident could wrongly change the destiny of the match points.

Rant over!

matty_f
13-10-2012, 03:27 PM
Bale created that situation with Maloney without looking backwards to see where Maloney was. That's pretty clever, especially as he was going full tilt with the ball at the time.

Certainly that's more likely than the contact between Bale and Maloney causing Bale's leg to change direction slightly.

Talk about clutching at straws!

LeighLoyal
13-10-2012, 04:03 PM
Bale is just another chancer footballer, but when are UEFA going to employ officials that are semi competent? A perfectly good goal disallowed and a pen that a blind man on a galloping horse could have seen was simulation. Total joke.

Dinkydoo
13-10-2012, 05:20 PM
I really don't understand all the posters saying that "we didn't lose because of the penalty decision"......... Eh, yes we did.

How many goals did Wales score?

Two.

How many did we score?

One.

How many were from a penalty to Wales?

One.

Dashing Bob S
13-10-2012, 05:22 PM
He was so far away the best player on the park, it was to his great credit he managed to take the game seriously with all the utter dross around him.

It probably was a dive but the Berra one was cut and dried. If you let people run into the box at will as the Scotland defence did, eventually the ref will award in their favour.

The bigger grouse should be Fletcher's disallowed goal.

coco22
13-10-2012, 06:29 PM
He was so far away the best player on the park, it was to his great credit he managed to take the game seriously with all the utter dross around him.

It probably was a dive but the Berra one was cut and dried. If you let people run into the box at will as the Scotland defence did, eventually the ref will award in their favour.

The bigger grouse should be Fletcher's disallowed goal.

I said the same thing throughout the game last night - aside from being a c*ck he was head and shoulders above every other player on the park, different class.

Dive? Probably but he was allowed to run at us in a way that created two goals for them (could have been more). Poor refereeing but more importantly poor Scotland was the problem.

TornadoHibby
13-10-2012, 07:18 PM
Bale created that situation with Maloney without looking backwards to see where Maloney was. That's pretty clever, especially as he was going full tilt with the ball at the time.
Certainly that's more likely than the contact between Bale and Maloney causing Bale's leg to change direction slightly.

Talk about clutching at straws!

I think you'll see if you care to watch it again that he actually wasn't going "full tilt" as you suggest!

He was also heading towards the corner flag and, who knows, that may well have been a factor in the penalty incident arising! :dunno:

Winston Ingram
13-10-2012, 07:25 PM
4 pages in this now.

Ye can see on the clip Maloney makes contact and to top it all Maloney has actually come out today and confirmed it.

It was a penalty. Why are we still talking about it?:confused:

BEEJ
13-10-2012, 07:28 PM
I'm afraid so.

trips or attempts to trip an opponent

Maloney has admitted that he caused Bale to trip.

The referee must have thought that it was careless of him.
Maloney has effectively held his hands up to being guilty of being in a position to enable Bale to collapse in the box and earn Wales a penalty.

That's not the same as actually being guilty of tripping the player. :wink:

TornadoHibby
13-10-2012, 07:36 PM
4 pages in this now.

Ye can see on the clip Maloney makes contact and to top it all Maloney has actually come out today and confirmed it.

It was a penalty. Why are we still talking about it?:confused:

Maybe because not everyone saw it the very matter of fact and unequivocal way that you did! :confused:

Maloney has been quoted as saying that "he THINKS that he may have lightly touched Bale as Bale passed him"! Hardly an admission of "guilt" as you suggest it was eh?! :rolleyes:

If folk want to talk about the incident then this is a message board, exactly the place to air their views to some like minded people as well as others who don't agree with them!

This isn't science with a test situation having been done under controlled conditions thereby making the assessment of the test and its results more likely to be agreed by all involved!

That fact that it was recorded in history as a penalty doesn't mean that the circumstances of the incident necessarily means that it was a penalty!

You only have to look at the circumstances of the goal that Fletcher scored but was disallowed officially as the linesman thought that the ball had gone out for a goal kick before it curled back onto Fletchers head and then despatched into the Welsh net when Sky have shown that it did not go out of play! History shows we didn't score a goal!

Case rested M'lud!

matty_f
13-10-2012, 07:50 PM
Maybe because not everyone saw it the very matter of fact and unequivocal way that you did! :confused:

Maloney has been quoted as saying that "he THINKS that he may have lightly touched Bale as Bale passed him"! Hardly an admission of "guilt" as you suggest it was eh?! :rolleyes:

If folk want to talk about the incident then this is a message board, exactly the place to air their views to some like minded people as well as others who don't agree with them!

This isn't science with a test situation having been done under controlled conditions thereby making the assessment of the test and its results more likely to be agreed by all involved!

That fact that it was recorded in history as a penalty doesn't mean that the circumstances of the incident necessarily means that it was a penalty!

You only have to look at the circumstances of the goal that Fletcher scored but was disallowed officially as the linesman thought that the ball had gone out for a goal kick before it curled back onto Fletchers head and then despatched into the Welsh net when Sky have shown that it did not go out of play! History shows we didn't score a goal!

Case rested M'lud!

Where is the quote where Maloney says he might have lightly touched Bale?

matty_f
13-10-2012, 07:55 PM
http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en-GB&redir_esc=&client=ms-android-samsung&source=android-launcher-widget&v=141338691&qsubts=1350157872853&action=devloc&q=maloney+penalty+scotland

Look at the headlines from this search. Why would Maloney take the blame if he hadn't touched Bale.

Do folk just not want to admit they're wrong?

ronaldo7
13-10-2012, 08:00 PM
Penalty all day long. Game over

Sir David Gray
13-10-2012, 08:11 PM
I think Maloney's being very generous here.

Maybe not a clear dive but any reason that Bale had for going down seems to have been caused by him tripping over himself.

And I've seen the incident on several occasions now from several different angles.

matty_f
13-10-2012, 08:16 PM
I think Maloney's being very generous here.

Maybe not a clear dive but any reason that Bale had for going down seems to have been caused by him tripping over himself.

And I've seen the incident on several occasions now from several different angles.

He trips over himself because the contact between him and Maloney sends one foot onto the other leg. Why would Maloney be generous? If he knew Bale dived or had made a meal of it, he'd have said so. If Bale had dived and we made a noise about it, he could have been given a ban which would be to our advantage.

marinello59
13-10-2012, 08:17 PM
He trips over himself because the contact between him and Maloney sends one foot onto the other leg. Why would Maloney be generous? If he knew Bale dived or had made a meal of it, he'd have said so. If Bale had dived and we made a noise about it, he could have been given a ban which would be to our advantage.

This.

Hiber-nation
13-10-2012, 08:20 PM
His dive against Villa was an absolute disgrace, as bad as the worst of Suarez and he deserves all the abuse that comes his way.

OK Maloney brushed against him but he knew what he was doing.

TornadoHibby
13-10-2012, 08:30 PM
Where is the quote where Maloney says he might have lightly touched Bale?

Here it is, in the Daily Record (http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/scotland-star-shaun-maloney-says-1376690), link kindly supplied by Hibstrooper earlier in the day! The headline to the story is misleading as that is NOT what is attributed to Maloney in his quotes as noted below!

Just in case it's not accessible, here is what Maloney apparently said!

“I haven’t seen it again but I have to be honest – my gut feeling was that he didn’t dive. I’m pretty sure I didn't put a challenge in but I think there was some contact.

“It happened numerous times in the game. I tried to track back and help Danny Fox, as that was my job on the night. It’s just unfortunate that this one time he got in front of me and when he ran across me he ended up winning the penalty."

He THINKS that there might have been some contact NOT that he was sure that he had made contact! Apparently! :wink:

Sir David Gray
13-10-2012, 08:33 PM

It's just my take on it.

If Maloney says he made contact with Bale then that's fair enough, he was the one who was actually there so he would know.

All I'm saying is, Bale goes down almost immediately after he is clearly seen clipping himself inside the box and any contact from Maloney was minimal, at best, and not enough to send Bale to the ground.

It looks very much like the usual where the forward feels very slight contact from the opponent and then trips themselves up before going down.

Having said that, I don't blame that decision on losing Scotland the game. We should have conceded a penalty earlier in the game when Berra was guilty of some WWE style defending inside the box which wasn't given.

Put it this way, if that sort of decision is given against James McPake during the New Year Derby at Tynecastle, this place will be in meltdown afterwards.

TornadoHibby
13-10-2012, 08:36 PM
His dive against Villa was an absolute disgrace, as bad as the worst of Suarez and he deserves all the abuse that comes his way.

OK Maloney brushed against him but he knew what he was doing.

:top marks

Nothing more needing to be added to that really! :agree:

Hibbyradge
13-10-2012, 08:48 PM

Indeed, sir.

And there were no complaints from Maloney when the penalty was awarded.

He has also apologised to his team mates so how can folk still say Bale dived?

Hibbyradge
13-10-2012, 08:51 PM
If Maloney says he made contact with Bale then that's fair enough, he was the one who was actually there so he would know.

All I'm saying is, Bale goes down almost immediately after he is clearly seen clipping himself inside the box and any contact from Maloney was minimal, at best, and not enough to send Bale to the ground.

It looks very much like the usual where the forward feels very slight contact from the opponent and then trips themselves up before going down.

Have you ever been tripped whilst running?

You have no option but to go down immediately.

Bale was tripped by Maloney, no doubt accidentally, but he didn't dive or trip himself.

TornadoHibby
13-10-2012, 08:51 PM
Maloney has effectively held his hands up to being guilty of being in a position to enable Bale to collapse in the box and earn Wales a penalty.

That's not the same as actually being guilty of tripping the player. :wink:

That's what I think Maloney was meaning too! :agree:

Sir David Gray
13-10-2012, 09:00 PM

Bale was tripped by Maloney, no doubt accidentally, but he didn't dive or trip himself.

I'll have to disagree.

Jonnyboy
13-10-2012, 09:03 PM
Here it is, in the Daily Record (http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/scotland-star-shaun-maloney-says-1376690), link kindly supplied by Hibstrooper earlier in the day! The headline to the story is misleading as that is NOT what is attributed to Maloney in his quotes as noted below!

“I haven’t seen it again but I have to be honest – my gut feeling was that he didn’t dive. I’m pretty sure I didn't put a challenge in but I think there was some contact.

“It happened numerous times in the game. I tried to track back and help Danny Fox, as that was my job on the night. It’s just unfortunate that this one time he got in front of me and when he ran across me he ended up winning the penalty."

He THINKS that there might have been some contact NOT that he was sure that he had made contact! Apparently! :wink:

I don't see the word lightly anywhere other than in your post where you typed, in inverted commas, as a quote would be printed "he THINKS that he may have lightly touched Bale as Bale passed him"!

Bale was moving at pace. Any touch was likely to affect his run.

At the time I called him a cheat and said so on here. I'm still peeved at him for going over but Maloney, by his own admission, made contact

TornadoHibby
13-10-2012, 09:17 PM
I don't see the word lightly anywhere other than in your post where you typed, in inverted commas, as a quote would be printed "he THINKS that he may have lightly touched Bale as Bale passed him"!

Bale was moving at pace. Any touch was likely to affect his run.

At the time I called him a cheat and said so on here. I'm still peeved at him for going over but Maloney, by his own admission, made contact

I'm firmly of the view that Bale cheated to secure the penalty award last night JB and I'm way past getting into debates about the odd word used of not when the absence or inclusion of the word makes not one jot of a difference to the fact that there is significant doubt as to whether Maloney made any contact with Bale or not! Even Maloney isn't sure!

However, Bale was not moving at pace at the relevant time AND, perhaps significantly, he was heading towards the corner flag and away from goal and a chance of a scoring shot!

The guy cheated IMO and that's me done on this thread now!

He will do it again and again as he knows he can and that he will more often than not get away with it until there are effective penalties in place to punish cheats doing this kind of thing in a public and memorable way such as a lengthy and immediate ban!

Sad thing is, he can be a superb footballer!

Jonnyboy
13-10-2012, 09:19 PM
I'm firmly of the view that Bale cheated to secure the penalty award last night JB and I'm way past getting into debates about the odd word used of not when the absence or inclusion of the word makes not one jot of a difference to the fact that there is significant doubt as to whether Maloney made any contact with Bale or not! Even Maloney isn't sure!

However, Bale was not moving at pace at the relevant time AND, perhaps significantly, he was heading towards the corner flag and away from goal and a chance of a scoring shot!

The guy cheated IMO and that's me done on this thread now!

He will do it again and again as he knows he can and that he will more often than not get away with it until there are effective penalties in place to punish cheats doing this kind of thing in a public and memorable way such as a lengthy and immediate ban!

Sad thing is, he can be a superb footballer!

Was a favourite of mine until this incident. :agree:

Steve-O
13-10-2012, 10:13 PM

You need to watch it again, he was NOT tripped by Maloney. Maloney brushed him at best, Bale then tripped himself. Bale's right leg movement is not natural at all! A slight tap and suddenly his right foot kicks the back of his left leg? Give me a break.

Hibbyradge
13-10-2012, 10:43 PM
You need to watch it again, he was NOT tripped by Maloney. Maloney brushed him at best, Bale then tripped himself. Bale's right leg movement is not natural at all! A slight tap and suddenly his right foot kicks the back of his left leg? Give me a break.

I disagree.

matty_f
13-10-2012, 10:54 PM

He doesn't say anything about lightly touching him, as you quoted him. It seems you're as quick as the journalists to put your own spin on the actual quote..

Hibbyradge
13-10-2012, 11:07 PM
If you think he dived, your affording Gareth Bale the reactions of a very reactive cat on a very reactive day.

He would have had to have felt the contact from Maloney, managed to work out how to trip himself up, then execute the manoeuvre in the very same nano second, before taking another stride.

Clever boy.

lapsedhibee
14-10-2012, 12:00 AM
If you think he dived, your affording Gareth Bale the reactions of a very reactive cat on a very reactive day.

He would have had to have felt the contact from Maloney, managed to work out how to trip himself up, then execute the manoeuvre in the very same nano second, before taking another stride.

Clever boy.

Not so sure it's a matter of being clever; more of having had lots of practice.

Everyone's seen his dive against Villa.

Here's his dive against Arsenal (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzCU2tSgM2U).

Here's his dive against Real Madrid (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxohXc99Hvc).

Hibercelona
14-10-2012, 12:43 AM
I disagree.

How can you disagree with what you and everybody else can see?

Unless for some reason you can't see it...

Hibbyradge
14-10-2012, 01:19 AM
How can you disagree with what you and everybody else can see?

Unless for some reason you can't see it...

I thought it was a penalty at the time.

Maloney says there definitely was contact and that Bale didn't dive.

That's how.

Steve-O
14-10-2012, 02:06 AM
I thought it was a penalty at the time.

Maloney says there definitely was contact and that Bale didn't dive.

That's how.

Wonder if Maloney will have even seen a replay yet? He might remember the slight contact and think that's what sent Bale down. However, it wasn't, it was Bale's own foot.

Pete
14-10-2012, 03:56 AM
Wonder if Maloney will have even seen a replay yet? He might remember the slight contact and think that's what sent Bale down. However, it wasn't, it was Bale's own foot.

It was his contact that changed the direction of bales foot...there would have been no tripping up at all if this didn't happen.

Anyway, l give up. We can all agree that Bale has to be stopped the next time we face him.

matty_f
14-10-2012, 09:09 AM
This is probably the most mental debate I've seen on here. We've got the person that caused the penalty admitting culpability and exonerating Bale but incredibly that's not enough. When I saw the incident I called Bale all the names under the sun for diving but it's since become clear that he was fouled.

HH81
14-10-2012, 09:13 AM
It was a pen as the ref give it.

If same thing happened at Ross County and no pen given everyone would be going mad on here.

Hibbyradge
14-10-2012, 09:15 AM
It was his contact that changed the direction of bales foot...there would have been no tripping up at all if this didn't happen.

Anyway, l give up. We can all agree that Bale has to be stopped the next time we face him.

This is probably the most mental debate I've seen on here. We've got the person that caused the penalty admitting culpability and exonerating Bale but incredibly that's not enough. When I saw the incident I called Bale all the names under the sun for diving but it's since become clear that he was fouled.

Even from the wee clip on the OP, it looks like Maloney's right leg deflects Bales foot causing him to trip.

RIP
14-10-2012, 12:03 PM

Clever boy.

Cheats practice diving. Bale is the biggest cheat in the English game - by reputation. He is repeatedly caught on camera simulating contact by diving. You only have to work out how to do it when you haven't done it before. And what about the earlier simulations by Aaron Ramsey - one in 54 minutes on the goal-line with Charlie Adam where Ramsey also executed a self-trip (Bale booked for protesting) and in 64 minutes where he was phantom tackled by Maloney? Caldwell angrily demanded he be booked for his second dive in ten minutes.

If it was someone else other than Bale, there might be a chance that he could have accidentally tripped himself up. But 'Diver' Bale is well practiced at simulation as is Ramsey. The contact with Maloney was Bales arm pushing back into Maloney's chest and upper arm. It happened five feet outside the box. The only thing that happended inside the box was Bale's trip on his own leg. So in anyone's language and under any set of rules, it was not a penalty. Unless, that is the referee get's it wrong

silverhibee
14-10-2012, 12:23 PM
I disagree.

Me too.

silverhibee
14-10-2012, 12:28 PM

:applause:

It was a penalty simple as that.

silverhibee
14-10-2012, 01:00 PM
Cheats practice diving. Bale is the biggest cheat in the English game - by reputation. He is repeatedly caught on camera simulating contact by diving. You only have to work out how to do it when you haven't done it before. And what about the 2 earlier simulations??

If it was someone else, there might be a chance that he could have accidentally tripped himself up. But 'Diver' Bale is well practiced at simulation. The contact with Maloney was Bales arm pushing back into Maloney's chest and upper arm. It happened outside the box. The only thing that happended inside the box was Bale's trip on his own leg. So in anyone's language and under any set of rules, it was not a penalty. Unless, that is the referee get's it wrong

Where. When. And who teaches them, is it a coach. :confused:

3pm
14-10-2012, 01:04 PM
Who cares?!

Anybody who supports the national team should be quietly pleased, it'll speed up the departure of Levein.

RIP
14-10-2012, 01:23 PM
To be fair I have the luxury of super slow motion on my recording - something that some fellow netters, journalists, the referee and Shaun Maloney may not have. Has anyone else with a match recording reviewed Bale and Ramsey's second-half dives in detail? It's pretty obviously a con when you play the incidents back

FWIW I'm not remotely interested in the result - that's past history

I'm just disgusted that simulation has reached a new low and it's bringing our game into disrepute.

A bit like cycling and athletics where the cheats fooled the authorities and fans for years before action was taken. Thankfully supporters and journos are starting to make a stand

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/352050/Football-takes-a-dive

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/opinion/diving-outrage-is-too-late.19142419

The_Sauz
14-10-2012, 01:52 PM
Where. When. And who teaches them, is it a coach. :confused:

I have a friend who is a fitness coach for a championship team, and he told me a while back that players are self-taught, and are encouraged to do it by managers :agree:
Managers go on about stamping it out in the game, but how many managers have openly fined one of it's own players for cheating.....NONE!

silverhibee
14-10-2012, 02:02 PM
To be fair I have the luxury of super slow motion on my recording - something that some fellow netters, journalists, the referee and Shaun Maloney may not have. Has anyone else with a match recording reviewed Bale and Ramsey's second-half dives in detail? It's pretty obviously a con when you play the incidents back

FWIW I'm not remotely interested in the result - that's past history

I'm just disgusted that simulation has reached a new low and it's bringing our game into disrepute.

A bit like cycling and athletics where the cheats fooled the authorities and fans for years before action was taken. Thankfully supporters and journos are starting to make a stand

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/352050/Football-takes-a-dive

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/opinion/diving-outrage-is-too-late.19142419

And strangely enough Maloney has been doing it for years.

Hibercelona
14-10-2012, 02:22 PM
The dive couldn't be anymore obvious. The only contact with Bale, was Bale himself. :hilarious

The little "non existent" brush on his left leg was enough to make his Right foot go into his left leg and knock him over?..... Aye, ok then. :rolleyes:

matty_f
14-10-2012, 02:42 PM
The dive couldn't be anymore obvious. The only contact with Bale, was Bale himself. :hilarious

The little "non existent" brush on his left leg was enough to make his Right foot go into his left leg and knock him over?..... Aye, ok then. :rolleyes:

If it was non-existent then why would both Bale and Maloney say it happened?

Shrekko
14-10-2012, 02:52 PM
If it was non-existent then why would both Bale and Maloney say it happened?
No way in the world Maloney is going to accuse another player of diving. Maloney is another who is always looking for that 'slight contact' that justifies the dramatic fall. If it had been Christian Dailley our someone similar that had been involved you'd have got a different response.

To see so many fans justifying the award is scary. Bale is by nature a cheat- last Sunday proved that beyond reasonable doubt, but I've even heard pundits making excuses for that one. What is the world coming to?

johncrobertson@
14-10-2012, 03:05 PM
The most clearly obvious penalty, was Berra rugby tackling the Wales player when the ball was in the air. How that was not given as a penalty was bizarre to say the least. Berra is a bomb-scare with no ability to play football from defence - big punt everytime. Yet another of Potters mistakes - old buddy loyalty!

LaMotta
14-10-2012, 05:53 PM
No way in the world Maloney is going to accuse another player of diving. Maloney is another who is always looking for that 'slight contact' that justifies the dramatic fall. If it had been Christian Dailley our someone similar that had been involved you'd have got a different response.

To see so many fans justifying the award is scary. Bale is by nature a cheat- last Sunday proved that beyond reasonable doubt, but I've even heard pundits making excuses for that one. What is the world coming to?

To see so many folk denying that a penalty should have been awarded after bale was clearly impeded is scary.

The one thing this thread proves is that getting video evidence for major decisions in football (except for ball over the line) would be completlely pointless.

Scouse Hibee
14-10-2012, 06:07 PM
To see so many folk denying that a penalty should have been awarded after bale was clearly impeded is scary.

The one thing this thread proves is that getting video evidence for major decisions in football (except for ball over the line) would be completlely pointless.

Goal line technology is the only thing being considered for football.

blackpoolhibs
14-10-2012, 06:12 PM
EVERY team has its fair share of cheats, this thread only tells us its wrong to cheat if its against us.

Winston Ingram
14-10-2012, 06:31 PM
He doesn't say anything about lightly touching him, as you quoted him. It seems you're as quick as the journalists to put your own spin on the actual quote..

There's more than enough evidence to throw plenty of doubt on it but Tornado seems to be adamant which seems to suggest an agenda

At the time I thought he dived. After seeing the replay and then Maloney confirming that he thought he made contact is quite solid.

On top of that, I know Bale is a brilliant player but to having the ability to 'kick himself' at that pace is probably even out with his capability

Wotherspiniesta
14-10-2012, 09:08 PM

There's more than enough evidence to throw plenty of doubt on it but Tornado seems to be adamant which seems to suggest an agenda

At the time I thought he dived. After seeing the replay and then Maloney confirming that he thought he made contact is quite solid.

On top of that, I know Bale is a brilliant player but to having the ability to 'kick himself' at that pace is probably even out with his capability

What?

In response to the "Worst Dive Ever?" thread....Is this the best dive ever? Seems he's got half the population fooled!

Well played Bale, very clever.

Shrekko
14-10-2012, 09:15 PM
What?

In response to the "Worst Dive Ever?" thread....Is this the best dive ever? Seems he's got half the population fooled!

Well played Bale, very clever.

Agree- particularly as clicking your own heels is the oldest trick in the book.

RIP
14-10-2012, 10:11 PM
I think the Bale supporters are clutching on the fact that, shortly after the match, Maloney was asked for his opinion. There was contact - few that saw the playback are disputing that. However Shaun did not have the benefit of video evidence. I wonder if he has seen it since. Can't see any journos interviewing him now - can you?

The initial contact was clearly made outside the box by Bale throwing his arm backwards towards the Scotland player. It would have seemed at the time to Shaun that contact was made - that they came together. So without the benefit of knowing whether Bale had then dived (as subsequently suggested by slo-mo video evidence) or where it took place in relation to the box, Maloney puts his hand up.

The Scotland player wasn't the only one conned. Bale's self-tripping dive, combined with the two earlier dives by Ramsey suggest a cheat's agenda for a team who at that point hadn't tested Macgregor. This agenda was further amplified by Ramsey's pathetic first dive where in failing to make contact with Maloney, he deliberately tripped himself up. It was a laughable piece of simulation at the time but Bale still complained so heavily he got booked for dissent.

It's time for supporters everywhere to call for an end to this cancer in our sport. How many appeals by journalists and commentators does it take before we wake up and realise that we letting these con-men drag football into the realms of farce
http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/james-lawton-enough-of-the-jokes-its-time-we-got-serious-about-diving-8202881.html

edinburghhibee
14-10-2012, 10:56 PM
My view on bale is that he is the most over rated player in Europe at the moment. He is good if you let him run at you other than that he's no better than his team mate Lennon in my view.

This prob won't go down well but the tin hat is on... Had I been potter on Friday night I'd have a player hit him hard with bales first touch of the ball, put him in the stand. The boy was an injury doubt we didn't even test how strong his injury was.

I know it's dirty/unsportsmanlike but we needed to win that game and he is there main threat and we let him run at us without putting in much of a challenge leading to the two goals and two other shots from him which were not far off the target.

To say Wales caused us no threat is harsh they had numerous chances off the top of my head 4 bale chances, Steve Morrison header and arron Ramsey 1-on-1. Scotland on the other hand our goal, fletch chalked off goal, and a miller header towards the end not good enough to win in my opinion.

Potter out!!!!

blackpoolhibs
15-10-2012, 07:24 AM
My view on bale is that he is the most over rated player in Europe at the moment. He is good if you let him run at you other than that he's no better than his team mate Lennon in my view.

This prob won't go down well but the tin hat is on... Had I been potter on Friday night I'd have a player hit him hard with bales first touch of the ball, put him in the stand. The boy was an injury doubt we didn't even test how strong his injury was.

I know it's dirty/unsportsmanlike but we needed to win that game and he is there main threat and we let him run at us without putting in much of a challenge leading to the two goals and two other shots from him which were not far off the target.

To say Wales caused us no threat is harsh they had numerous chances off the top of my head 4 bale chances, Steve Morrison header and arron Ramsey 1-on-1. Scotland on the other hand our goal, fletch chalked off goal, and a miller header towards the end not good enough to win in my opinion.

Potter out!!!!

As i said earlier, it seems cheating is only ok when its us who benefit from it?

Steve20
15-10-2012, 07:50 AM
I can't believe there is even a disagreement on the penalty situation. Bale dived and it was not a penalty. However, Wales were denied a clear penalty earlier with Berra's bear hug.

Steve-O
15-10-2012, 08:08 AM

At the time I thought he dived. After seeing the replay and then Maloney confirming that he thought he made contact is quite solid

What's all this 'at that pace' stuff? Jeez he wasn't breaking the sound barrier at the time! Think you are underestimating him and any other human to be honest, not that hard to do what he did.

Steve-O
15-10-2012, 08:13 AM
The Bale believers on here should look at the close up picture in the Scotland On Sunday and then decide if Bale has not deliberately tripped himself. The is no way a slight tap made his right foot kick himself in the left calf and the picture makes a mockery of claims his leg was 'deflected' and all the rest of it.

Hibbyradge
15-10-2012, 08:31 AM
The Bale believers on here should look at the close up picture in the Scotland On Sunday and then decide if Bale has not deliberately tripped himself. The is no way a slight tap made his right foot kick himself in the left calf and the picture makes a mockery of claims his leg was 'deflected' and all the rest of it.

Do you really have to label people who disagree with you? :bitchy:

If you really must, would you give me the Maloney believer tag, please.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/12018/8164389/Wales-star-Gareth-Bale-rejects-diving-claims-against-Scotland

Scouse Hibee
15-10-2012, 09:22 AM

Still Pictures add nothing!

StevieC
15-10-2012, 09:36 AM

I've not said too much in this debate because some supporters are so blinkered that they can't see the wood for the trees.

But ..

Bale believers??

I'm a Newcastle fan, and as such have no love for London teams or their players. I would love to be able to say that Bale dived, and that we were cheated, but it just isn't true. Out of all the decisions that the referee, and his assistants, got wrong .. this was NOT one of them.

As kids, I'm sure you'll have had fun at some stage clipping your mates heel and watching them stumble. That's just at walking pace! Same scenario running at pace and you've no other option but to go down. And before those that are struggling to see clearly point out his heel wasn't clipped, I know that but the brush on the moving leg has the same desired effect.

RIP
15-10-2012, 12:12 PM
I've not said too much in this debate because some supporters are so blinkered that they can't see the wood for the trees.

But ..

Bale believers??

I'm a Newcastle fan, and as such have no love for London teams or their players. I would love to be able to say that Bale dived, and that we were cheated, but it just isn't true. Out of all the decisions that the referee, and his assistants, got wrong .. this was NOT one of them.

As kids, I'm sure you'll have had fun at some stage clipping your mates heel and watching them stumble. That's just at walking pace! Same scenario running at pace and you've no other option but to go down. And before those that are struggling to see clearly point out his heel wasn't clipped, I know that but the brush on the moving leg has the same desired effect.

All valid stuff Stevie. If it was you that had fallen in the box I'm sure we would buy it.

It's just when you take all Bale's other recent 'offences' into consideration, his reputation as the worst diver in the EPL, add the second half's previous 2 attempts at diving by Aaron Ramsey (one a self-trip), the fact that Wales looked unable to score in a brothel and the fact that they were facing going out of the competition into account it paints a slightly different picture

matty_f
15-10-2012, 01:05 PM
All valid stuff Stevie. If it was you that had fallen in the box I'm sure we would buy it.

It's just when you take all Bale's other recent 'offences' into consideration, his reputation as the worst diver in the EPL, add the second half's previous 2 attempts at diving by Aaron Ramsey (one a self-trip), the fact that Wales looked unable to score in a brothel and the fact that they were facing going out of the competition into account it paints a slightly different picture

It's like the boy that cried wolf - Bale has a reputation for diving, and rightly so. However, that doesn't mean to say that every time he goes down he's dived, and certainly in this case the evidence is strongly weighted in Bale's favour.

Ramsay dived in the game, Bale also dived in the game too, but the referee can't give or not give a decision based on what the player has done previously in the game - he has to call each incident independantly.

I was certain that Bale had dived at the time, but I was wrong. He was fouled, no matter how unintentional it was, Maloney made contact with him and it caused him to go down. Sky Sports News had slow-motion replays last night, with the contact enlarged. It definitely happened, Bale was fouled and regardless of his previous antics, the penalty had to be given.

He doesn't have the reputation as the worst diver in the SPL as far as I know - Suarez for one has come in for more stick IMHO, and I can only think of the incident recently where Bale took a dive.

It's not appropriate to use the fact that Bale's previously dived as a reason to not give a penalty when he has been fouled. It might sit right morally, but in the rules of the game the ref has to give the penalty.

StevieC
15-10-2012, 01:40 PM

I don't think it does.

To say that it must have been a dive because Aaron Ramsey had tried to dive, Wales were struggling to score, and that someone posted a couple of older youtube videos, is harsh to say the least. How many, prior to the game, were calling Bale the "worst diver in the league"? Seemed to me that there were a load of other candidates for that title before we even got anywhere near Bale?

The incident should be judged on what happened at the time and the post match interviews, rather than the actions of others, the performance of a team, a few sketchy Internet videos, and a mob baying for blood.

Thankfully the courts don't adopt the "Tartan Army" criteria when deciding guilt.

EDIT: .. and I've no longer got the legs to make it into the box, so chances are if I did I would crumple regardless of contact!

lapsedhibee
15-10-2012, 04:53 PM
How many, prior to the game, were calling Bale the "worst diver in the league"? Seemed to me that there were a load of other candidates for that title before we even got anywhere near Bale?

Not that many now that Ronaldo, Robben, Cole J and Drogba are away from the EPL. I'd say only Suarez is definitely ahead of him, and Gerrard maybe a bit behind. Young's probably performed the most ludicrously, but only in one or two games. Bale's at it the whole time.

silverhibee
15-10-2012, 04:56 PM
Not that many now that Ronaldo, Robben, Cole J and Drogba are away from the EPL. I'd say only Suarez is definitely ahead of him, and Gerrard maybe a bit behind. Young's probably performed the most ludicrously, but only in one or two games. Bale's at it the whole time.

Maloney likes a we dive to himself too.

lapsedhibee
15-10-2012, 05:45 PM
Maloney likes a we dive to himself too.

Are there enough to have formed a divers' union? Perhaps that's why he's sticking up for Bale. :tin hat:

Scouse Hibee
15-10-2012, 07:14 PM

Joe Cole is still there!

tamig
15-10-2012, 08:46 PM
Three days after the event and folk on here are still greetin!. Get over it. Scotland got gubbed. Bale was the best player on the park.

lapsedhibee
15-10-2012, 09:56 PM
Joe Cole is still there!

Thought he was in Franceland, doing his cygne mourant impression there. Diving bassa!

Scouse Hibee
15-10-2012, 10:00 PM
Thought he was in Franceland, doing his cygne mourant impression there. Diving bassa!

Nah he's back warming the bench, actually started one of the Europa league games.