PDA

View Full Version : NHC Owen Coyle sacked

Stevie Reid
09-10-2012, 10:08 AM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19869286

Been saying for weeks that he faces a real test of his relationship with the chairman - had a brutal run of fixtures at the start of last year's EPL and never really recovered. Always liked him as a manager and a character, and have no doubt he will get another job soon.

Went from St. Johnstone to Burnely just before JC resigned - I'm convinced he would have been our manager had he not left Saints before Collins left us. Would have done a great job here, I reckon.

english_hibee
09-10-2012, 10:16 AM
Bolton's my english club, so naturally feeling a bit down about this. To be fair, he's been given a decent amount of time to get things going in the right direction, and he's simply not managed to. Mick McCarthy and Roy Keane are apparently potential replacements.

Bolton had a fantastic run in the EPL but last season simply didn't deserve to stay up. I don't think the club has ever quite got over the departure of Allerdyce to be honest.

Thecat23
09-10-2012, 10:29 AM
I think he's a good manager to be honest. The game down there doesn't give managers any room for slip ups. I'm sure he will be back in the game soon enough.

As for the early fav Mick McCarthy, I rate him alongside the likes of Megson, Jewell, Jones all shocking managers.

LancashireHibby
09-10-2012, 10:37 AM
A big relief, to be honest. He was a good servant as a player during what is mine (and many others) BWFC fans favourite era but he's been struggling to turn things round for the last 18 months and his tactical naivety has really been shown up this season, never mind in the Premier League. I think it reached the point of no return when we lost at home to Palace last week, conceding a penalty for the fourth game in a row and just looking so flat and disinterested and incapable of creating the chances to get back in to the game.

It's certainly not the delighted reaction when Megson was sacked, but the time was right for him to go and now the real work begins. My preferred candidate would be someone from abroad who can take a clean look at the squad with no preconceptions and try and get the best out of what is a relatively talented side but hugely lacking in direction and organisation.

JimBHibees
09-10-2012, 10:43 AM
A big relief, to be honest. He was a good servant as a player during what is mine (and many others) BWFC fans favourite era but he's been struggling to turn things round for the last 18 months and his tactical naivety has really been shown up this season, never mind in the Premier League. I think it reached the point of no return when we lost at home to Palace last week, conceding a penalty for the fourth game in a row and just looking so flat and disinterested and incapable of creating the chances to get back in to the game.

It's certainly not the delighted reaction when Megson was sacked, but the time was right for him to go and now the real work begins. My preferred candidate would be someone from abroad who can take a clean look at the squad with no preconceptions and try and get the best out of what is a relatively talented side but hugely lacking in direction and organisation.

How was his relationship with Kevin Davies always got the impression from afar they didnt always get on that well and that KD wasnt happy not starting near the end of last season. Assume Davies is a strong character in the dressing room.

Like Owen Coyle given he always comes over very enthusiastically. Thought he dealt with the Muamba situation with a lot of class. As has been said I think the timing worked against him re Hibs job as he would have been the ideal fit for us at that particular time.

NORTHERNHIBBY
09-10-2012, 10:47 AM
I don't think Coyle will be out of the game for long. It shows what can happen to a club though, that got relegated by no more than a fag paper.

LancashireHibby
09-10-2012, 10:48 AM
How was his relationship with Kevin Davies always got the impression from afar they didnt always get on that well and that KD wasnt happy not starting near the end of last season. Assume Davies is a strong character in the dressing room.

Like Owen Coyle given he always comes over very enthusiastically. Thought he dealt with the Muamba situation with a lot of class. As has been said I think the timing worked against him re Hibs job as he would have been the ideal fit for us at that particular time.
I don't think Davies is the type to go against a manager to be honest as he's pretty much the ultimate pro and had been given a lot of responsibility by Coyle to try and bring on the younger players etc. As you say, Coyle dealt with the Muamba situation with tremendous dignity and there's no doubt he has a great depth of feeling for BWFC, but it's the right move all around. He was a good 'fit' with St Johnstone and Burnley, but the expectations of Bolton and Hibs fans are relatively similar which actually makes me think he may have struggled a little had the timing been different and he ended up with the Hibs job.

Elephant Stone
09-10-2012, 10:51 AM
Next Scotland manager?

JimBHibees
09-10-2012, 10:52 AM
I don't think Davies is the type to go against a manager to be honest as he's pretty much the ultimate pro and had been given a lot of responsibility by Coyle to try and bring on the younger players etc. As you say, Coyle dealt with the Muamba situation with tremendous dignity and there's no doubt he has a great depth of feeling for BWFC, but it's the right move all around. He was a good 'fit' with St Johnstone and Burnley, but the expectations of Bolton and Hibs fans are relatively similar which actually makes me think he may have struggled a little had the timing been different and he ended up with the Hibs job.

Cheers thanks for the insight. As you say sometimes managers and clubs need a break as players sometimes dont always react to the same messages. I am sure Coyle will do well in football and see him back as a manager somewhere however think he would do well as a pundit as he is enthusiastic (unlike some Lawrenson being one) and knows the game.

heretoday
09-10-2012, 10:54 AM
I wonder who is the next Bolton manager off the rank? Hope it's not Pat Fenlon.

LeighLoyal
09-10-2012, 10:55 AM
Scottish Anglo managers taking a bit of a doing of late, GJP, Kean, Coyle.

LancashireHibby
09-10-2012, 10:59 AM
Can't see it. Usual names of McCarthy, Curbishley, Keane being banded about but I'd go for the 'unknown foreigner' option, personally.

NORTHERNHIBBY
09-10-2012, 11:01 AM
In one of the papers down south today, they were speculating about Roy Keane being an early favourite as he stays local and that would appeal to him. Along with McCarthy, he seems another odd choice from the failure list.

LancashireHibby
09-10-2012, 11:21 AM
In one of the papers down south today, they were speculating about Roy Keane being an early favourite as he stays local and that would appeal to him. Along with McCarthy, he seems another odd choice from the failure list.
No chance of Keane. Fair to say the BWFC fans didn't exactly get on with him when he was a player and, from the horse's mouth, the feeling was pretty mutual. Current favourite is McCarthy with Curbishley and, somewhat surprisingly IMHO, GJP not far behind.

jgl07
09-10-2012, 11:22 AM
Can't see it. Usual names of McCarthy, Curbishley, Keane being banded about but I'd go for the 'unknown foreigner' option, personally.

Why would any club even think about employing Roy Keane given his brutal record with Sunderland and Ipswich?

Coyle was probably not an ideal match for Bolton. The club had prospered with the long ball style with Big Sam and to a lesser extent Megson. Coyle favours a purer approach and tried to change the style in a period of cost cutting.

Curbishley has been out of the game for some years and seems very 'picky'. He was lined up to replace Mick McCarthy at Wolves last season but pulled out leaving they with little option but to go for Terry Connor.

Mick McCarthy could be a decent option for Bolton.

Scouse Hibee
09-10-2012, 11:50 AM
Why would any club even think about employing Roy Keane given his brutal record with Sunderland and Ipswich?

Coyle was probably not an ideal match for Bolton. The club had prospered with the long ball style with Big Sam and to a lesser extent Megson. Coyle favours a purer approach and tried to change the style in a period of cost cutting.

Curbishley has been out of the game for some years and seems very 'picky'. He was lined up to replace Mick McCarthy at Wolves last season but pulled out leaving they with little option but to go for Terry Connor.

Mick McCarthy could be a decent option for Wolves.

Can't see them wanting him back TBH!

heretoday
09-10-2012, 12:07 PM
What price Coyle ending up back at Burnley?

DarrenSQH
09-10-2012, 12:12 PM
Scotland manager in 2 weeks time i think.

Predicting 1 point out of the next six and then its bye bye potter

hibsmad
09-10-2012, 12:20 PM
Next Scotland manager?

Yes please.

Not sure how much of that is to do with wanting Coyle though and how much it has to do with wanting rid of the current kn0b in charge.

heretoday
09-10-2012, 12:21 PM
Scotland manager in 2 weeks time i think.

Predicting 1 point out of the next six and then its bye bye potter

Possibly right, although I hope Scotland do better than that! Actually I reckon Coyle is the sort who likes a club environment more. He'll not be unemployed for long.

Hibercelona
09-10-2012, 12:35 PM
I thought the thread title said "Eoin Doyle" at first! :eek:

LancashireHibby
09-10-2012, 12:37 PM
What price Coyle ending up back at Burnley?
None whatsoever. I was at the Burnley-BWFC game on the opening day of the season and I've never seen anything like the abuse that Coyle was getting from the Burnley fans, and that includes the 'Kean Out' malarkey at Blackburn.

keithkeith
09-10-2012, 12:42 PM
Been racking my brains for 10 mins now as to who GJP is?!

LancashireHibby
09-10-2012, 12:45 PM
Been racking my brains for 10 mins now as to who GJP is?!
McLeish.

HH81
09-10-2012, 12:57 PM
What goes around comes around.

Coyle left Burnley for a 'bigger club' when he should have stayed and tried to stay up. Well look what's happened now Coyle..... These young managers need to think about this before jumping ship straight away.

My Burnley mate will be laughing no doubt.

Scouse Hibee
09-10-2012, 01:08 PM
What goes around comes around.

Coyle left Burnley for a 'bigger club' when he should have stayed and tried to stay up. Well look what's happened now Coyle..... These young managers need to think about this before jumping ship straight away.

My Burnley mate will be laughing no doubt.

Why should he have stayed? The guy built a decent reputation and was offered a bigger job off the back of that. Opportunities come along and you have to take them if they feel right for you, no-one has a crystal ball only hindsight which is a wonderful thing.

HH81
09-10-2012, 01:17 PM
Why should he have stayed? The guy built a decent reputation and was offered a bigger job off the back of that. Opportunities come along and you have to take them if they feel right for you, no-one has a crystal ball only hindsight which is a wonderful thing.

Keeping Burnley in the premiership would have been a bigger achivement than he achived at Bolton. Infact he would be in a big job now but instead he has been sacked. Imo.

keithkeith
09-10-2012, 01:19 PM
McLeish.

Ta! :aok:

Was bugging me - Had J*mbo Pr*ck lined up as the JP....

Ginger had escaped me as well...

Must keep up to speed with these, instead of guessing!!

The Sea-gull
09-10-2012, 01:39 PM

Someone got the fishing rod out?

Hope the tongue was firmly in the cheek when you asked that question.

Think you can rest easy. Pat Fenlon will be nowhere near the running for the Bolton job or any other like that at this moment in time.

LancashireHibby
09-10-2012, 01:40 PM
Keeping Burnley in the premiership would have been a bigger achivement than he achived at Bolton. Infact he would be in a big job now but instead he has been sacked. Imo.
At the height of his 'powers' at BWFC, we were 8th in the league and in the FA Cup Semi Final, something he would have never managed at Burnley. And don't underestimate the size of the pull to join a club who he already had a depth of feeling for from his playing days. The fact that it didn't work out was irrelevant - if it had worked out then we'd have potentially been back in Europe again, and that definitely wouldn't have happened at Burnley.

HH81
09-10-2012, 01:51 PM
All ifs and buts matt. I think he may struggle to get a Championship job now.

LancashireHibby
09-10-2012, 01:56 PM
All ifs and buts matt. I think he may struggle to get a Championship job now.
Very true, but a chance worth taking from his point of view. He'll dust himself off and get another job, no doubt at all.

jdships
09-10-2012, 02:08 PM
Always been a fan of OC .
As a player he always gave 100% and as a manager he came across as being genuinely honest and hardworking .

Shouldn't have to wait long for another job .

Scouse Hibee
09-10-2012, 02:14 PM
At the height of his 'powers' at BWFC, we were 8th in the league and in the FA Cup Semi Final, something he would have never managed at Burnley. And don't underestimate the size of the pull to join a club who he already had a depth of feeling for from his playing days. The fact that it didn't work out was irrelevant - if it had worked out then we'd have potentially been back in Europe again, and that definitely wouldn't have happened at Burnley.Spot on. If people on here had the same opportunities in their careers they would do much the same, that is apart from the nervous type who won't even go out for a pint for the fear of getting punched!

HH81
09-10-2012, 02:15 PM
Spot on. If people on here had the same opportunities in their careers they would do much the same, that is apart from the nervous type who won't even go out for a pint for the fear of getting punched!

Stop picking on Steven.

jacomo
09-10-2012, 02:35 PM

I am sure Coyle's time is up, but aren't Bolton up to their necks in debt? I'd have thought they need someone like Paul Lambert (although less fractious) who can spot a lower league bargain or twenty and get them back into the Premiership on the cheap.

Scouse Hibee
09-10-2012, 02:54 PM
Stop picking on Steven.

Who's Steven? :confused:

hibsmad
09-10-2012, 03:10 PM
I personally think that he should have stayed at Burnley and showed a little more loyalty. Yes he got them promoted and yes that was a superb achievement that the Burnley fans should have (and were) thankful for. However it pisses me off the way managers think it is acceptable to leave clubs half way through a season just because of what they did the previous season. By leaving Burnley when he did it reduced their chances of surviving in the Premiership massively. So in effect what he gave in one hand he took away in the other.

Maybe I'm too much of a romantic but I just think that managers lead very good lifestyles thanks to the fans who pay their money but then they find it all too easy to s**t all over them when the chance to move on comes around. I mean it wasn't as if it was a massive club that came calling.

Think back to how you felt when McLeish left - and to be fair (in Scottish terms) that was to a massive club.

HH81
09-10-2012, 03:17 PM
I personally think that he should have stayed at Burnley and showed a little more loyalty. Yes he got them promoted and yes that was a superb achievement that the Burnley fans should have (and were) thankful for. However it pisses me off the way managers think it is acceptable to leave clubs half way through a season just because of what they did the previous season. By leaving Burnley when he did it reduced their chances of surviving in the Premiership massively. So in effect what he gave in one hand he took away in the other.

Maybe I'm too much of a romantic but I just think that managers lead very good lifestyles thanks to the fans who pay their money but then they find it all too easy to s**t all over them when the chance to move on comes around. I mean it wasn't as if it was a massive club that came calling.

Think back to how you felt when McLeish left - and to be fair (in Scottish terms) that was to a massive club.

Good post.

english_hibee
09-10-2012, 06:01 PM

I agree, manager's do need to show appreciation to the fans. I still (5 years on!) remember how I felt when I heard Allerdyce had left, was absolutely spewing, not because he'd gone to what was, on paper, a better position with better prospects for him, but because of the way it was done. One day the board was spouting he was in no talks with any other club, blah blah, next day he's off out the door to newcastle. It wasn't the fact he left, it was the fact that the fans didn't get one last game, in which they could show their gratitude and appreciation for the truly great job he did at BWFC

Hibernia&Alba
09-10-2012, 06:22 PM
I don't blame Coyle at all for taking the Bolton job. Loyalty is a two way street: In the same way managers get the sack for failing, so they have the right to to take up another offer when doing very well in a job. The manager has the right to leave at a time of his choosing every bit as much as a board who can sack him. Coyle did wonders for Burnley but was always a Bolton man after he enjoyed a very happy spell there as a player. The emotional pull of a return was too much to refuse, though sadly for him it just didn't work.

LancashireHibby
09-10-2012, 09:28 PM
Would also add that Coyle made it pretty clear that he would only leave Burnley for the Bolton or Celtic jobs. The Allardyce situation was slightly different as he resigned citing he wanted a 'break' from the game...and then popped up at Newcastle a fortnight later.

Must say I'm rather glad to see the Whites debated on here though! :greengrin

Phil D. Rolls
10-10-2012, 07:17 AM

I'm not sure he would have been the fans' choice at the time.

Stevie Reid
10-10-2012, 08:40 AM

IIRC the only two real contenders were Mixu and Paul Simpson - going from the Scottish First Division to the English Championship is quite a step, I was surprised at the time, and my logic is that if he persuaded the Burnley board to give him the job, he would have managed the same with Hibs. He is passionate and charismatic, and his thoughts on the way football should be played and history of working on a budget would have impressed the board, I'm sure.

Like all managers he would not have pleased everyone at first, but I'm sure that when people thought back to the way that St. Johnstone comprehensively outplayed a very good Hibs team for the majority of the LC semi final, as well as the fact that Saints only lost out on promotion to the SPL to Gretna's ridiculous overspending on the last day of the season, those in doubt would come round very quickly.

It's all pure conjecture obviously, but I firmly believe that he would have applied for the job, and been offered it - given the way he plays the game, he would have been a better successor than Mixu proved to be.

jacomo
10-10-2012, 10:12 AM
Would also add that Coyle made it pretty clear that he would only leave Burnley for the Bolton or Celtic jobs. The Allardyce situation was slightly different as he resigned citing he wanted a 'break' from the game...and then popped up at Newcastle a fortnight later.

Must say I'm rather glad to see the Whites debated on here though! :greengrin

Can you respond to my post then please? :wink:

Just how bad is the financial situ at Bolton? If they don't get back up before the parachute payments run out they could be in deep trouble.

copycat
10-10-2012, 10:28 AM
Ta! :aok:

Was bugging me - Had J*mbo Pr*ck lined up as the JP....

Ginger had escaped me as well...

Must keep up to speed with these, instead of guessing!!

Ginger Judas pr*ck as he certainly has no link with the yams, Judas due to the way he left us.

Jeez, you been sleeping for the last few years!!!

LancashireHibby
10-10-2012, 10:32 AM
Can you respond to my post then please? :wink:

Just how bad is the financial situ at Bolton? If they don't get back up before the parachute payments run out they could be in deep trouble.
Debt of somewhere between £80m-£100m but with less than £5m of that actually owed to the bank rather than owner Eddie Davies, who has effectively already written it off.

The wage bill has been slashed in recent years (which didn't exactly help Coyle in fairness, though he did manage to spend £7m on David N'Gog, Chris Eagles and Tyrone Mears) and by all accounts the club rakes it in from the De Vere hotel that is built in to the away end.

The training ground and academy are both separate sites (both A grade by Premier League standards) but there are vague rumours that the training ground may be sold off and the first team move on to the same site as the academy.

Beefster
10-10-2012, 10:54 AM

Clubs think it's acceptable to sack managers half way through a season so I'm not sure why they shouldn't leave for a better job whenever they get offered one.

JimBHibees
10-10-2012, 10:55 AM

I think we have had a few too many fans choice appointments for a lifetime. Coyle would have done a great job here after St Johnstone IMO and then moved onto bigger things however he would have left with the team in a better way than it was.

hibsmad
10-10-2012, 11:24 AM
Clubs think it's acceptable to sack managers half way through a season so I'm not sure why they shouldn't leave for a better job whenever they get offered one.

You seriously think it's the same thing?

When a manger is sacked he has first of all failed in the job he was hired to do and secondly he is compensated by having his remaining salary paid to him.

When a manager leaves half way through a season to take a better job the club almost never gets adequately compensated. Sure they get compensation but what was it in Coyles case? £1 million? £2 million? It cost Burnley a minimum of £40 million to lose their Premier League status. A clubs hand is forced when a manager expresses a desire to leave as their position as a leader is no longer possible. They no what they are doing when they ask to leave and they know it will inevitably happen.

I'm not saying managers shouldn't be aiming to move on and achieve bigger and better things. I just think that the proper way to do things is to wait until the summer and not leave half way through an extremely important season. Ok they might lose a particular opportunity but at least they won't have keeked all over their current club and fans.

Scouse Hibee
10-10-2012, 11:31 AM
You seriously think it's the same thing?

When a manger is sacked he has first of all failed in the job he was hired to do and secondly he is compensated by having his remaining salary paid to him.

When a manager leaves half way through a season to take a better job the club almost never gets adequately compensated. Sure they get compensation but what was it in Coyles case? £1 million? £2 million? It cost Burnley a minimum of £40 million to lose their Premier League status. A clubs hand is forced when a manager expresses a desire to leave as their position as a leader is no longer possible. They no what they are doing when they ask to leave and they know it will inevitably happen.

I'm not saying managers shouldn't be aiming to move on and achieve bigger and better things. I just think that the proper way to do things is to wait until the summer and not leave half way through an extremely important season. Ok they might lose a particular opportunity but at least they won't have keeked all over their current club and fans.

Sorry I don't buy into any of that and never will. The proper way to do things is look after number one, your employer sees you as a number nothing else. I have worked with many people who thought they were valued, the place would fall apart without them, the company would never let them go then..................bang restructure,redundancy or what ever else, they're tossed aside without a second thought. If a better opportunity come along and it feels right to you then you should take it.

hibsmad
10-10-2012, 11:48 AM
Sorry I don't buy into any of that and never will. The proper way to do things is look after number one, your employer sees you as a number nothing else. I have worked with many people who thought they were valued, the place would fall apart without them, the company would never let them go then..................bang restructure,redundancy or what ever else, they're tossed aside without a second thought. If a better opportunity come along and it feels right to you then you should take it.

I agree with all of this. The only difference is that Im sure in the jobs you are referring to that there are not thousands upon thousands of people who follow that particular company and support them through blind faith and who will continue to put their money in their pockets so that these people can live very privileged lifestyles. What I am basically trying to say is that when a manager decides to leave a club half way through a season they are not simply letting down their employer, they are letting down the fans as well.

Unless a club is being run by some lunatic, a manager knows that as long as they are doing well then their job is safe. Therefore I don't think the same motto to "jump before you are pushed" applies.

Off course situations will arise where it would appear perfectly acceptable for a manager to leave mid season. In this particular thread though we are looking at Owen Coyle and in my opinion I can see why the Burnley fans resent what he did so much.

HH81
10-10-2012, 12:02 PM
Lets not forget Burnley backed all his plans to move the club forward etc and he left a month or so after giving them assurances of seeing them through.

Scouse Hibee
10-10-2012, 12:02 PM
I agree with all of this. The only difference is that Im sure in the jobs you are referring to that there are not thousands upon thousands of people who follow that particular company and support them through blind faith and who will continue to put their money in their pockets so that these people can live very privileged lifestyles. What I am basically trying to say is that when a manager decides to leave a club half way through a season they are not simply letting down their employer, they are letting down the fans as well.

Unless a club is being run by some lunatic, a manager knows that as long as they are doing well then their job is safe. Therefore I don't think the same motto to "jump before you are pushed" applies.

Off course situations will arise where it would appear perfectly acceptable for a manager to leave mid season. In this particular thread though we are looking at Owen Coyle and in my opinion I can see why the Burnley fans resent what he did so much.

There's a few but the recent one that comes to mind is Lee Clark.:greengrin

HH81
10-10-2012, 12:06 PM

There was more too the Clark thing other than team performence.

Scouse Hibee
10-10-2012, 12:11 PM
There was more too the Clark thing other than team performence.

The point being no-one apart from the person themselves and the clubs involved know all the facts!

hibsmad
10-10-2012, 12:28 PM

I don't know a lot about the situation at Huddersfield but I have heard a few of their fans (through listening to Talk Sport) who reckon that he wasn't doing all that well. I think he had a very large budget and failed two seasons to get them promotion. The club were looking for automatic promotion and he kept failing through the play-off's. I think when he was sacked that they were once again near the top but after sacking Clarke they did finally manage to cross the finish line and get promotion.

Anyway, getting a bit off topic! I'll revert back to something I said in a previous post - maybe I'm just a bit of a romantic when it comes to managers and them showing loyalty :violin:

silverhibee
10-10-2012, 12:35 PM
Stop picking on Steven.

:tee hee:

silverhibee
10-10-2012, 12:41 PM
Debt of somewhere between £80m-£100m but with less than £5m of that actually owed to the bank rather than owner Eddie Davies, who has effectively already written it off.

The wage bill has been slashed in recent years (which didn't exactly help Coyle in fairness, though he did manage to spend £7m on David N'Gog, Chris Eagles and Tyrone Mears) and by all accounts the club rakes it in from the De Vere hotel that is built in to the away end.

The training ground and academy are both separate sites (both A grade by Premier League standards) but there are vague rumours that the training ground may be sold off and the first team move on to the same site as the academy.

Is it the Acacdemy or training ground next to the big Morrisons, big brick wall around it to keep out the nosey folk. :greengrin

LancashireHibby
10-10-2012, 12:48 PM
Is it the Acacdemy or training ground next to the big Morrisons, big brick wall around it to keep out the nosey folk. :greengrin
If you mean the huge Tesco near Chorley, it's the training ground. The pitches are just for exhibition, under Coyle training mainly consisted of tournaments in ping pong, darts and Fifa :greengrin

Stevie Reid
11-10-2012, 01:57 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19895260

Howe's potential departure could pave the way for Owen Coyle to return to Turf Moor following his sacking by Bolton earlier this week.

blackpoolhibs
13-10-2012, 11:47 AM
I was listening to an interview with Gary Cahill a few weeks ago, and he talked about how he'd improved as a player with proper coaching since he has gone to Chelsea.

He talked about his time at Bolton, and how he's enjoyed his time but he needed to improve. He said there was very little coaching with the team, never mind the back 4. He said Coyle mainly had his team playing off the cuff, with minimal coaching.

I found that a little strange considering how well Coyle had done before getting the Bolton job, but maybe it explains why he's not been able to make the jump up to the premiership?