PDA

View Full Version : Williams and Fenlon.

Sparky9
08-10-2012, 09:29 PM
Williams has been a great shot stopper for us so far. Made a few good saves on saturday and definitley one of the best keepers ive seen at ER in the past 10 years. Great signing shows his passion for the sport, Goes for crosses, Watches his line and comes out when its a one on one.

Fenlon has to be one of the best managers at ER in atleast 15 years. Took us from 11th in the league saves us from relegation now we are 2nd in the league, Has also totalled the tally for last years home wins in the season and its only 1/4 into the season

Long live king paddy:pfgwa

Kato
08-10-2012, 09:32 PM
Fenlon has achieved nothing yet.

Ever heard the expression, "simmer down"?

AberdreamHibee
08-10-2012, 09:36 PM
There is still more than plenty of time for this season to go horribly, horribly wrong.

Simmer down indeed.

He has done a good job after a summer of apparently good work. But lets not get too ahead of ourselves and forget what Mowbray, Collins etc achieved!
I like Fenlon, always have done, and this season he is proving to have the credentials of a good manager with a very good eye for a player.

Two points:
- We are 2-3 injuries/suspensions away from being a very average at best side.
- We could potentially lose Griffiths and Claros in January.

Positive signs so far, but A LOT can go wrong over the next 7 months.

frazeHFC
08-10-2012, 10:03 PM
There is still more than plenty of time for this season to go horribly, horribly wrong.

Simmer down indeed.

He has done a good job after a summer of apparently good work. But lets not get too ahead of ourselves and forget what Mowbray, Collins etc achieved!
I like Fenlon, always have done, and this season he is proving to have the credentials of a good manager with a very good eye for a player.

Two points:
- We are 2-3 injuries/suspensions away from being a very average at best side.
- We could potentially lose Griffiths and Claros in January.

Positive signs so far, but A LOT can go wrong over the next 7 months.

ltyf

Hibercelona
08-10-2012, 10:05 PM
Considering where we were, he's down an outstanding job so far. I think people are too quick to forget just how honking we really were before Fenlon came in.

I don't see the season going "horribly wrong". We'll hit an inevitable slump patch when we start picking up a few injuries here and there, but thats why its so important to get right behind the team at such times.

Regardless of who Fenlon fields on the pitch, I have no doubt that he'll have them giving absolutely everything.

Kenny1875
08-10-2012, 10:08 PM
ltyf

Off topic but what does this mean? Seen it a few times but I have no idea what it's about.

english_hibee
08-10-2012, 10:11 PM
Sparky I for one admire your positive outlook

If we're going to look at the negative side we may as well say "f*** it, the entire squad could be stricken with malaria and be out, therefore we'll be relegated"...... No one knows what will happen, in so far as loan extensions or future signings go, so for now, great start to the season, the squad deserves credit, and whatever will be will be......there's a great feeling of optimism at easter road right now, lets just jump on board with it, rather than looking for potential pitfalls eh?

Kato
08-10-2012, 10:11 PM
My point is - he's doing what he should be doing but we have achieved nothing so far.

Said on Saturday I'm looking forward to seeing where we stand with him this time next season.

Tricla
08-10-2012, 10:20 PM
Off topic but what does this mean? Seen it a few times but I have no idea what it's about.

Launch That Yam Fud!

Sparky9
08-10-2012, 10:25 PM
Launch That Yam Fud!
Dont get it haha? Need to take off my green tinted specs.

edinburghhibee
08-10-2012, 10:25 PM

It means "launch this yam ****" if your a new poster on here or have less than 1,000 posts you'll get it fairly often.

Jonnyboy
08-10-2012, 10:35 PM
How ironic that the OP is being criticised for being overly optimistic when on another thread started by him he was being accused of only ever starting negative threads :wink:

jdships
08-10-2012, 10:39 PM
As the saying goes
'And the point of this thread is .................. ?'
:greengrin:wink::rolleyes:

muzzhfc
08-10-2012, 11:17 PM
williams is a decent keeper, made a few mistakes though so lets not get too carried away with him.

fenlon has improved the team and has made huge strides forwards. he hasnt acheived as much as mowbray, but at the same time he has acheived more (getting hibs to the cup final - albeit a terrible result when we got there). as for collins, imho, he acheived a cup victory with the previous incumbents team. once mowbrays team was dismantled he replaced the team with duds. once more in my opinion.

monktonharp
08-10-2012, 11:48 PM
Pat Fenlon is making great progress, all things considered. he's actually getting Witherspoon to play the kind o' stuff we knew he had in him. (Iwas one that wanted him emptied a few weeks ago) so for that, well done. he also has players fighting for almost everything, throwing themselves in front of shots, that were going in over the last few seasons.he could have been a living legend, if things went our way in May, but players let us,the club and themselves doon, no fault of Fenlon.

Hibercelona
08-10-2012, 11:53 PM
Pat Fenlon is making great progress, all things considered. he's actually getting Witherspoon to play the kind o' stuff we knew he had in him. (Iwas one that wanted him emptied a few weeks ago) so for that, well done. he also has players fighting for almost everything, throwing themselves in front of shots, that were going in over the last few seasons.he could have been a living legend, if things went our way in May, but players let us,the club and themselves doon, no fault of Fenlon.

Exactly.

Some people blame Fenlons selection of loanees for the embarrassment in May.

But he brought them in as panic loans who just about managed to do what he brought them in to do. To judge him on the cup final would be very harsh, considering he done an outstanding job of getting us there in the first place.

If he hadn't managed to get us to the final last season, I reckon he'd be getting more praise right now.

The Green Goblin
09-10-2012, 01:34 AM
Imagine having a pop at someone for the "crime" of daring to post that they are enjoying being a Hibee for once. It's almost tragically funny. I can just imagine some of the conversations some folk on here have in the street..

Happy Person: it's hot and sunny, the sky is blue and it's a beautiful day. doesn't it make you glad you are around to enjoy it? :agree:

.net poster: aye it's lovely now, but it'll be pishing it down tomorrow and by next week there'll be storms. so stop enjoying yourself quite so much you fanny... :fuming:

We really are a right bloody miserable bunch at times. :greengrin

Brightside
09-10-2012, 06:42 AM
as a fan base Hibs must one of the most negative. Even when we are doing well there are still plenty telling people to simmer down etc. Just enjoy it... go with it. And if/when we hit a slump keep the faith. And when a player makes a mistake dont start threads with "Lets launch this useless vadge ASAP".... A bit of positivity goes a long way.

Borderhibbie76
09-10-2012, 07:42 AM
I have to agree with op...if someone had said to me on morn of 20 May we would be top of spl after 9 games next season...i would have laughed in their face!!! Regardless of whats ahead, im confident it will be positive, paddy has done a remarkable job thus far and deserves enormous credit for that...

Kato
09-10-2012, 09:19 AM
Imagine having a pop at someone for the "crime" of daring to post that they are enjoying being a Hibee for once. It's almost tragically funny. I can just imagine some of the conversations some folk on here have in the street..

Happy Person: it's hot and sunny, the sky is blue and it's a beautiful day. doesn't it make you glad you are around to enjoy it? :agree:

.net poster: aye it's lovely now, but it'll be pishing it down tomorrow and by next week there'll be storms. so stop enjoying yourself quite so much you fanny... :fuming:

Like so many internet discussions people refuse to acknowledge there might an in between point of view and see everything as polarised.

The OP is talking garbage as far I can see. There is a difference between optimistic and hype.

I'm happy with Hibs at the moment, very happy considering the stage we are at with rebuilding.

However PF has achieved nothing yet. Long way to go.

What's wrong with that?

JimBHibees
09-10-2012, 09:53 AM
Like so many internet discussions people refuse to acknowledge there might an in between point of view and see everything as polarised.

The OP is talking garbage as far I can see. There is a difference between optimistic and hype.

I'm happy with Hibs at the moment, very happy considering the stage we are at with rebuilding.

However PF has achieved nothing yet. Long way to go.

What's wrong with that?

Completely agree some people and in my experience usually the same ones go from famine to feast. So some of the people shouting the loudest how awful we were are now able to seamlessly move to how great we are and how we should be definitely top 3. Heard a shout on Saturday along the lines of 'come on Hibs pile the goals on as second place might be decided by goal difference'. :rolleyes:
One step at a time absolutely.

500miles
09-10-2012, 10:42 AM
There's a lot to be excited about. The league is currently so tight, Celtic are spread thin so there is no certainty over thier results week in, week out.

We seem to have Caldwell, Stanton, Antell, Harris and Handling knocking on the door of the first team, and who is to say we can't do deals for our loanees.
The players seem to have a real respect for the manager, and he seems to have an eye for a player. Bring on the rest of the season I say.

JimBHibees
09-10-2012, 10:45 AM
There's a lot to be excited about. The league is currently so tight, Celtic are spread thin so there is no certainty over thier results week in, week out.

We seem to have Caldwell, Stanton, Antell, Harris and Handling knocking on the door of the first team, and who is to say we can't do deals for our loanees.
The players seem to have a real respect for the manager, and he seems to have an eye for a player. Bring on the rest of the season I say.

It is very good to see a fair number of the younger players getting involved in the first team squad and getting parts of games also as it must be a massive motivation to play well and continue to improve knowing if you do well you will get a chance.

KeithTheHibby
09-10-2012, 12:02 PM
How ironic that the OP is being criticised for being overly optimistic when on another thread started by him he was being accused of only ever starting negative threads :wink:

Aaah, good old Hibs.net!:greengrin

The Green Goblin
09-10-2012, 03:05 PM

The OP is talking garbage as far I can see.

So, "the op is talking garbage" is your "in-between point of view"??

Maybe he's just feeling very optimistic about Hibs for once (when was the last time you could say that?) and is saying so. It doesn't matter if he might have the predictive powers of Mystic Meg, it just makes a nice change to see it.

What's wrong with that?

Kato
09-10-2012, 03:13 PM
So, "the op is talking garbage" is your "in-between point of view"??

No. My "in between view" is that I'm happy but that Fenlon had achieved nothing yet. That's the third time I've stated that. If you're going to pull me up or discuss posts please have the courtesy of reading them first.

"The OP is talking garbage" is my opinion on the OP.

Not hard is it.

weecounty hibby
09-10-2012, 04:08 PM
No. My "in between view" is that I'm happy but that Fenlon had achieved nothing yet. That's the third time I've stated that. If you're going to pull me up or discuss posts please have the courtesy of reading them first.

"The OP is talking garbage" is my opinion on the OP.

Not hard is it.

The OP said PF is one of the best managers in the last 10 years and your response was, he has achieved nothing yet. I suppose you're right but in my lifetime as a Hibee only three managers have achieved anything.Tony Mowbray achieved nothing, Yogi, Bertie Auld, Sir Pat, Le God, Sloop, Willie Ormond, Mixu, Duffy, Williamson, CC and McLeish all achieved nothing. In fact some of them underachieved spectacularly.

Only Eddie Turnbull, Alex Miller and JC have actually achieved!!! I personally think PF may well add to that list, have like him and the way he goes about his business since the moment he walked through the door. In Pat I definitely trust.

:pfgwa

cam75
09-10-2012, 04:17 PM

Quality

Kato
09-10-2012, 05:06 PM
The OP said PF is one of the best managers in the last 10 years and your response was, he has achieved nothing yet. I suppose you're right....

The OP said 15 years, and thanks for agreeing with me.

but in my lifetime as a Hibee only three managers have achieved anything.Tony Mowbray achieved nothing, Yogi, Bertie Auld, Sir Pat, Le God, Sloop, Willie Ormond, Mixu, Duffy, Williamson, CC and McLeish all achieved nothing.

McLeish won Div1. All the rest had varying degrees of success in bringing us some entertainment or not, but in hard terms won nowt.

In fact some of them underachieved spectacularly.

Tell me about it.

Only Eddie Turnbull, Alex Miller and JC have actually achieved!!! I personally think PF may well add to that list, have like him and the way he goes about his business since the moment he walked through the door. In Pat I definitely trust.

Same here. I'll support him through what is hard job for him. Didn't slate him at all last season as he was probably handed the most difficult job out of all the managers you listed. I can add Willie McFarlane and Dave "Rangers Are Rubbish" Ewing to the list of non-achievers I've seen at ER.

Think he's doing a grand job but swinging from "Sack-Him" to "Pat has achieved" in a few months is typical of the polarised arguments I'm talking about and you can include me out of that school of thought, or non-thought.

I'm sure if you asked Fenlon he'd say the job has barely begun.

Tha Cabbage Kid
09-10-2012, 05:43 PM
anybody know how much money nusty has spend?
and in comparrison with other managers?

winning games is also an achievement and when you have no money to spend on players it an even bigger achievement.

Piqué
09-10-2012, 06:11 PM
anybody know how much money nusty has spend?
and in comparrison with other managers?

winning games is also an achievement and when you have no money to spend on players it an even bigger achievement.
Think it would be a bit unfair to compare how much each manager spent over the years as money is a lot tighter now. We had to spend more money in the past to keep up with other clubs, everyone is spending less now.

Tha Cabbage Kid
09-10-2012, 07:00 PM
Think it would be a bit unfair to compare how much each manager spent over the years as money is a lot tighter now. We had to spend more money in the past to keep up with other clubs, everyone is spending less now.

fair enough but has he even spent a penny? he looks to have turn the clubs fortunes around be it only a hand full of games.

Piqué
09-10-2012, 08:51 PM
fair enough but has he even spent a penny? he looks to have turn the clubs fortunes around be it only a hand full of games.

Very true. The man certainly has an eye for a player.