PDA

View Full Version : Clubs Staring Into The Abyss

Sergey
07-10-2012, 06:53 PM
Don't know how many of you folks follow non-league football in England, but it looks as though the Fat Lady has cleared her throat and two clubs have kicked their last ball.

Due to be formally wound-up this week is Blue Square South team, Truro City. Their 123 history will come to an end on Thursday and all this years results will be nullified. More alarming is the fate of Kettering Town, who's 140 year history is now a forgone conclusion, after only being able to field 10 players yesterday and being thumped 0-7 at home to a non-de-script Bashley. To make matters worse, two of the 10 got themselves injured and one can't make their proposed midweek fixture. That's them well and truly ***ored.

There's been others in the past, and no doubt others in the future that go to the wall - but spare a thought for the genuine fans, as anyone who follows football at non-league level can categorise themselves as 'genuine fans'.

HH81
07-10-2012, 07:15 PM
Kettering had an 11th player on day of game. It was a keeper who had agreed to play outfield. The keeper said he was owed money and needed it so the manager said he would pay it out his own pocket.

He never turned up. Kettering used to be a decent club too.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19859492

Ozyhibby
07-10-2012, 08:01 PM
A sure sign that Armageddon is upon us. With Rangers in the third division it's hard to see how football anywhere is financially viable.

Bishop Hibee
07-10-2012, 08:03 PM
Sad for the fans of these clubs. All Hibees who were around in 1990 know how close we came to oblivion and having to start again.

LancashireHibby
07-10-2012, 08:12 PM
Know a couple of lads who support Kettering and indeed a father and son, with the son boycotting because of the state Ladaak (the chairman) has led them in to and his dad still one of the few that continues to attend matches, even though they now play at Rushden & Diamonds ground (think along the lines Hibs moving in to Tynie when Hearts go bust) while their old ground in Kettering still stands. Certainly something that has been in the pipeline ever since the ground move and a matter of when, not if. Likewise with Truro, they threw money at players to get them to move down there in the hope of getting in the Football League but couldn't get the ground or infrastructure to the correct gradings to match their promotions and the house of cards collapsed once they realised.

Obviously feel for all the supporters involved, but I dare say they've been expecting them to go bust for quite a while now - I say that as someone who was involved in a non-league club (Leigh Genesis, formerly Leigh RMI) that sadly went bust at senior level as we tried every avenue to keep going after being booted out of our stadium by the council but just couldn't stay afloat no matter the efforts in trying to maintain it. Certainly brings back some painful memories when reading such stories.

Newry Hibs
07-10-2012, 08:14 PM
Newry City went bust last month. Some tiny Hibs content in that Ryan McGivern was born in Newry (didn't play for them) as was Pat Jennings who did.

Hibernia&Alba
07-10-2012, 08:32 PM
I didn't know about these examples, but was struck by the name of Truro. As there are no professional clubs in Cornwall, it's necessary to keep the game alive in that part of the world, which is already a sporting desert re top class representation in the major sports. I hope the Cornish Pirates rugby team can have a good season in the English Championship.

essexhibee
07-10-2012, 08:46 PM
I have two mates that play for Chelmsford city in conference south...can't say they will be too sad about Truro going under. Absolute trek for all other clubs in that league!!

NORTHERNHIBBY
07-10-2012, 09:33 PM
I thought the theory was thst the teevee money was meant to trickle all the way down?

Hibernia&Alba
07-10-2012, 10:38 PM
I thought the theory was thst the teevee money was meant to trickle all the way down?

Ah, if only Ronnie Reagan was alive to enjoy that mantra. Even Maggie is too senile to appreciate it now.

jgl07
07-10-2012, 11:50 PM

Evidently not down to the sixth tier!

HUTCHYHIBBY
08-10-2012, 09:50 AM
Ah, if only Ronnie Reagan was alive to enjoy that mantra. Even Maggie is too senile to appreciate it now.

?

jacomo
08-10-2012, 11:24 AM
Always sad to hear about any club which is staring down the barrel.

:fibber:

:brokenyam:

:wink:

LeighLoyal
08-10-2012, 11:29 AM
And I doubt if they bounce back as newco's they will be getting the same FA registration as the oldco and called the same entity by the FA. The English FA plays by the book I assume, unlike the hun loving jokers up here.

StevieC
08-10-2012, 11:44 AM

That unfortunately died with the invention of "The Bosman".

HIBERNIAN-0762
08-10-2012, 11:47 AM
Sorry I thought this was a Yam thread.....:wink:

greenlex
08-10-2012, 01:43 PM
I listened to the debate between Romney and Obama and if you listen intently I reckon Romney is Reagan.

--------
08-10-2012, 01:53 PM
Always sad to hear about any club which is staring down the barrel.

:fibber:

:brokenyam:

:wink:

I'm so glad you're prepared to make an exception for the Jambos. I can think of at least two other clubs in the SPL I would happily wave goodbye to.

Not just the Jambos. :devil:

Hibercelona
08-10-2012, 02:16 PM
How can non-league clubs struggle for players?

I thought it was just a wee kick about with a few lads from the pub. :confused:

Mikey
08-10-2012, 02:19 PM
Have they tried reducing entry prices, letting kids/OAP's/students/the infirm/anyone with a letter from their mum in for free, and buying more expensive players?

HH81
08-10-2012, 02:27 PM
How can non-league clubs struggle for players?

I thought it was just a wee kick about with a few lads from the pub. :confused:

A player at Halifax town in league 8 was on 350 per week. Hardly a kick about and stupid money for that level.

Forgot to add that was for training twice a week and playing games.

Hibercelona
08-10-2012, 02:32 PM
A player at Halifax town in league 8 was on 350 per week. Hardly a kick about and stupid money for that level.

Thats crazy.

Where do I sign up? :cb

Hibernia&Alba
08-10-2012, 02:58 PM
?

Trickledown economics, Hutchy, it was Reagan's economic policy. You give more money to the wealthy via tax cuts, and the theory is the economy then grows and benefits everybody as the money 'trickles down' to the bottom.

Only problem was it turned out the trickle didn't actually trickle and the theory didn't work, as with the tv money now.

HUTCHYHIBBY
08-10-2012, 03:46 PM
I see.

Sparky9
08-10-2012, 03:58 PM
Don't know how many of you folks follow non-league football in England, but it looks as though the Fat Lady has cleared her throat and two clubs have kicked their last ball.

Due to be formally wound-up this week is Blue Square South team, Truro City. Their 123 history will come to an end on Thursday and all this years results will be nullified. More alarming is the fate of Kettering Town, who's 140 year history is now a forgone conclusion, after only being able to field 10 players yesterday and being thumped 0-7 at home to a non-de-script Bashley. To make matters worse, two of the 10 got themselves injured and one can't make their proposed midweek fixture. That's them well and truly ***ored.

There's been others in the past, and no doubt others in the future that go to the wall - but spare a thought for the genuine fans, as anyone who follows football at non-league level can categorise themselves as 'genuine fans'.
It is a dark time for football at the minute, You have club owners that dont give a **** about their club just about money and you have clubs that are oweing alot of debt. In some cases its good (etc Sevco and soon to be the herts:greengrin).
Just be glad it is not our team that is in financial diffiulties, Long live Tom Farmer! GGTTH:flag:

Big Frank
08-10-2012, 04:14 PM
Have they tried reducing entry prices, letting kids/OAP's/students/the infirm/anyone with a letter from their mum in for free, and buying more expensive players?

Aye, because its the same as Hibs, so the same ideas to get bums on seats should apply to a team in the blue square league whos support is in the hundreds :rolleyes:

jgl07
09-10-2012, 01:54 PM

FC Halifax are in the Conference North which is the sixth tier of English Football. They can attract crowds of over 4,500 on a good day.

HH81
09-10-2012, 02:07 PM
FC Halifax are in the Conference North which is the sixth tier of English Football. They can attract crowds of over 4,500 on a good day.

They are now, at the time they were two leagues lower when the player was getting paid that.

Im actually going to the game tonight v Chester in the Fa cup.

frazeHFC
09-10-2012, 02:09 PM
Guessing Chesterfield are in trouble too, they couldn't fill their bench at the weekend. Worrying times for some clubs.

HH81
09-10-2012, 02:12 PM
Guessing Chesterfield are in trouble too, they couldn't fill their bench at the weekend. Worrying times for some clubs.

They have a fairly new ground too.

jdships
09-10-2012, 02:18 PM
Don't let's forget that closer to home there a few clubs in Div 2 & 3 in Scotland who living hand to mouth and depending on Directors putting their own money in to keep the clubs viable .
While none , I understand ,are close to folding it is still a concern how long they can keep going .

jgl07
09-10-2012, 03:34 PM
Don't let's forget that closer to home there a few clubs in Div 2 & 3 in Scotland who living hand to mouth and depending on Directors putting their own money in to keep the clubs viable .
While none, I understand ,are close to folding it is still a concern how long they can keep going .

Division Two and Three clubs are usually able to keep going because their costs are low with part-time players. The problems are those who try to run a full-time setup with crowds of 1,000 or less.

Scotland has lost very few clubs in recent years since the demise of Third Lanark: Airdieonians, Clydebank(?), Gretna, and Rangers. The first two sold their ground and played in exile running down their support-base in the process. The latter two spent silly money and got what they deserved. All the above (but not Third Lanark) have been reformed and continue in some for or another.

WHUHibs
09-10-2012, 04:27 PM
Division Two and Three clubs are usually able to keep going because their costs are low with part-time players. The problems are those who try to run a full-time setup with crowds of 1,000 or less.

Scotland has lost very few clubs in recent years since the demise of Third Lanark: Airdieonians, Clydebank(?), Gretna, and Rangers. The first two sold their ground and played in exile running down their support-base in the process. The latter two spent silly money and got what they deserved. All the above (but not Third Lanark) have been reformed and continue in some for or another.

Not correct, Third Lanark are alive and kicking. The club name was bought by a friend of mine Simon weir who is an actor by trade and played in the Scotland England clash a few years ago raising money for charity. He is rebuilding Cathkin park on his own and has entered the club in the Glasgow leagues also setting up a youth development age group. I hope he can resurrect the club in some good way again but it will be very hard.

jdships
09-10-2012, 06:46 PM

Agree with what you say about smaller ' full time clubs.'
However I can assure you the three most vulnerable clubs are in Div 2/3 .
One such club depends on a supporter buying the footballs and paying the groundsman , another had it's two sponsor's reduce their sponsorship money : one by half and the other to only a three figure sum
As you say wages for some p/t clubs are almost minimal , but the running costs still have to be met
One such club took in less than £2000 per game at their last two home matches !! That equates to less than £ 1000 a week turnover !!
Based on their official ticket prices of £10 Adult and £5 Concessions

On a point of interest THIRD LANARK did not ' die' they are now known as THIRD LANARK AC
http://third-lanark.co.uk/about-third-lanark.html