PDA

View Full Version : It doesn't happen that often so...

beensaidbefore
07-10-2012, 03:23 AM
Whats your memories of the occasions we have graced the top of the league?

One of my favourite memories, when I thought we could really win the league, was away to motherwell in the early 90's. Iim sure we won 0-2?? They finished 2nd, and us 3rd, but from what I can remember it was a good season.

I cant really think of any other occasions when there was a real opportunity for us to challenge/become clear 2nd placed in the league. Lets hope we keep it up.

Ray_
07-10-2012, 05:05 AM

One of my favourite memories, when I thought we could really win the league, was away to motherwell in the early 90's. Iim sure we won 0-2?? They finished 2nd, and us 3rd, but from what I can remember it was a good season.

I cant really think of any other occasions when there was a real opportunity for us to challenge/become clear 2nd placed in the league. Lets hope we keep it up.

Two occasions for me, the obvious, 1/01/1973 and October 1969, when a brace from Peter Marinello & one from Joe McBride, gave us a 3-1 win at Ibrox, to send us top. Willie Mac's team had already won at Parkhead and Tynie.

BarneyBreslin
07-10-2012, 06:41 AM
David Murphy's header at Ibrox under JC. One nil victory, fans got kept in after the game. 1000 happy hibees singing 'top of the league' to an empty greyskull. Had no illusions we were going to win the league but enjoyable never the less.

CraigK
07-10-2012, 06:56 AM

That was season 94/94, the crazy thing about that season was that we finished third but there was no European place for third!

NYHibby
07-10-2012, 09:04 AM
David Murphy's header at Ibrox under JC. One nil victory, fans got kept in after the game. 1000 happy hibees singing 'top of the league' to an empty greyskull. Had no illusions we were going to win the league but enjoyable never the less.

This was the very first Hibs game I went to after moving to Scotland. I wasn't on the database yet so I had to sit in the Rangers end. On the plus side, I was right down by the goal and got some great pictures of our goal.

I could be wrong, but I think that game was five years ago this weekend.

Phil D. Rolls
07-10-2012, 10:49 AM
My memories of being top of the league is that usually comes apart in November.

jgl07
07-10-2012, 12:46 PM

When Hibs beat Motherwell 2-0 away in 1993-4, I think they were already top while Motherwell were second. Darren jackson scored the first and Michael O'Neill the second. The latter was curtosy of a sublime through ball from Brian Hamilton.

Hibs ended up in fifth place that season after looking really competitive until losing at Ibrox in the new year. Hibs had a dramatic slump in the final quarter only winning two matches out of eleven. Typically the two wins came against champions Rangers at Easter Road and away to runners-up Aberdeen. The season ended with a 4-0 defeat to bottom club Dundee.

The following season Hibs finished third behind Rangers and Motherwell.

The other time that Hibs were clear at the top this time of the season for a decent period of time was in season 1997-8. Hibs started off with a 2-1 win over Celtic and also beat Dunfermline 5-2, Killie 4-0 at home and drew away with Dundee United 1-1 and Motherwell 1-1. Hibs were 3-1 ahead against Rangers and Crawford missed a sitter to make it 4-1. Then Rangers came back to win 4-3 and Hibs went on a long losing run and ended up relegated.

sambajustice
07-10-2012, 12:50 PM

If the Orcs are wiped from history then we win the league that year!!

iwasthere1972
07-10-2012, 12:57 PM
Two occasions for me, the obvious, 1/01/1973 and October 1969, when a brace from Peter Marinello & one from Joe McBride, gave us a 3-1 win at Ibrox, to send us top. Willie Mac's team had already won at Parkhead and Tynie.

Fortunate to be at that game in 1969 as a 13 year old who by accident was a sole Hibby in amongst the hun supporters. Still celebrated all three goals.'

Part/Time Supporter
07-10-2012, 03:44 PM
That was season 94/94, the crazy thing about that season was that we finished third but there was no European place for third!

League cup winner still qualified for Europe then (which Hibs benefitted from after winning 91/92 Skol Cup). There was only four places available (one EC, one ECWC and two UC); Raith Rovers and Celtic qualified for Europe by winning the cups. Strangely enough though, there was still a European tie at Easter Road the following season. Raith played Bayern there rather than Starks Park due to some UEFA regulation.

Hermit Crab
07-10-2012, 03:53 PM
When Hibs beat Motherwell 2-0 away in 1993-4, I think they were already top while Motherwell were second. Darren jackson scored the first and Michael O'Neill the second. The latter was curtosy of a sublime through ball from Brian Hamilton.

Hibs ended up in fifth place that season after looking really competitive until losing at Ibrox in the new year. Hibs had a dramatic slump in the final quarter only winning two matches out of eleven. Typically the two wins came against champions Rangers at Easter Road and away to runners-up Aberdeen. The season ended with a 4-0 defeat to bottom club Dundee.

The following season Hibs finished third behind Rangers and Motherwell.

The other time that Hibs were clear at the top this time of the season for a decent period of time was in season 1997-8. Hibs started off with a 2-1 win over Celtic and also beat Dunfermline 5-2, Killie 4-0 at home and drew away with Dundee United 1-1 and Motherwell 1-1. Hibs were 3-1 ahead against Rangers and Crawford missed a sitter to make it 4-1. Then Rangers came back to win 4-3 and Hibs went on a long losing run and ended up relegated.

Was that the marco Negri hatrick game?

tamig
07-10-2012, 04:07 PM
I was in the labour ward at the old Eastern General on 5 October 1993. The radio was on (my wife wasn't happy that it was the football) and the Hibees won 3-2 against Raith Rovers to top the Premier League. About an hour after the game finished, my daughter arrived into the world :thumbsup:

HibbyAndy
07-10-2012, 04:20 PM
August 1994 First game of the season we beat Dundee utd 5-0 at Easter rd. Went top on goal difference:greengrin

BTW Kevin Harper made his debut that day and ripped Gordan Petric to pieces!!..Was that really 18 years ago??!!.

tamig
07-10-2012, 04:28 PM
August 1994 First game of the season we beat Dundee utd 5-0 at Easter rd. Went top on goal difference:greengrin

BTW Kevin Harper made his debut that day and ripped Gordan Petric to pieces!!..Was that really 18 years ago??!!.

Top man that day was Gareth Evans. He was fantastic. Probably his best game in a Hibs shirt.

HibbyAndy
07-10-2012, 04:32 PM
Top man that day was Gareth Evans. He was fantastic. Probably his best game in a Hibs shirt.

Gareth gave his all in every game, Wasn't the most technically gifted player in the world but boy he loved playing for Hibs.

erin go bragh
07-10-2012, 05:00 PM

We finnished a point behind Motherwell ,with a far better goal difference .

Remember going top after beating Celtic 2/1 at the san siro ,season 96/97
Things didnt go too well after that game.

GGTTH

Ray_
07-10-2012, 05:58 PM
Fortunate to be at that game in 1969 as a 13 year old who by accident was a sole Hibby in amongst the hun supporters. Still celebrated all three goals.'

I was the same age in the same hun support, went with a school mate, who lacked class & was a regular at Ibrox, he advised me to clap politely should Hibs score & I did my best to impersonate a seal. You just never know who may be standing next to you. :greengrin

iwasthere1972
07-10-2012, 08:37 PM
I was the same age in the same hun support, went with a school mate, who lacked class & was a regular at Ibrox, he advised me to clap politely should Hibs score & I did my best to impersonate a seal. You just never know who may be standing next to you. :greengrin

When Hibs scored the first goal I forgot that I was surrounded by huns and just celebrated in the normal way "Getintae these huns" :greengrin My cover was blown and after that I couldn't care less. I to this day remember the look I got off one of the hun woman. It haunts me to this day. I knew she was a woman because her tache was trimmed.

Ray_
07-10-2012, 09:40 PM
When Hibs scored the first goal I forgot that I was surrounded by huns and just celebrated in the normal way "Getintae these huns" :greengrin My cover was blown and after that I couldn't care less. I to this day remember the look I got off one of the hun woman. It haunts me to this day. I knew she was a woman because her tache was trimmed.

:greengrin

Dibben
07-10-2012, 09:49 PM
We finnished a point behind Motherwell ,with a far better goal difference .

Remember going top after beating Celtic 2/1 at the san siro ,season 96/97
Things didnt go too well after that game.

GGTTH

I'm sure that that was the last season where you got only 2 pts for a win. If the 3 pt rule kicked in a year early, I'm sure that we would have finished 2nd (it may actually be the other way round...) :D

KWJ
07-10-2012, 10:13 PM
Did we go top after beating Aberdeen 2-0 up there in December 2009? That's when I was in hospital in Darwin and was in the Sun for asking my dad near straight away after coming out my coma what the Rangers Dundee Utd score was as it affected our "challenge".

jgl07
07-10-2012, 10:16 PM
I'm sure that that was the last season where you got only 2 pts for a win. If the 3 pt rule kicked in a year early, I'm sure that we would have finished 2nd (it may actually be the other way round...

1993-4 was the last season of two points for a win. It was also the last season of the 12-team Premier Division. Three teams went down that season.

It woulod not have made any difference to Hibs' League position. Hibs would have closed up on Celtic by one point:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1993–94_Scottish_Premier_Division

Hibs would have finished second in 1994-5 had two points for a win been retained:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1994–95_Scottish_Premier_Division

KWJ
07-10-2012, 10:18 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/scot_prem/8410901.stm

Ah not quite, or all that close. Unreal start to the season though, fell away after that defeat at Ibrox and then oh dear.

jgl07
07-10-2012, 11:21 PM

BTW Kevin Harper made his debut that day and ripped Gordan Petric to pieces!!. Was that really 18 years ago??!!.

It wasn't Kevin Harper's debut. He made a two appearances the previous season one from the subs bench against St Johnston away replacing Kevin McAllister. He started in a 3-2 defeat at Dens Park with the number eleven shirt..

Dundee United had won the Cup against Rangers (Craig Brewster scored) in their previous match. Ivan Golac was manager. We were sat in the old North Stand Paddock (just behind the visitors' dugout) and it was funny to see the look on Golac's face as the goals went in. He buried his face in his hands with a 'why me' look.

Hibs should certainly have ran Rangers close that season. They lost only two matches at home: one to Partick Thistle and the other to Falkirk!

That year was Hibs best chance of an SFA Cup win. They lost to Celtic in a replay at Ibrox and missed out on facing First Division Airdreonians in the final. Hibs were beaten in the Fourth Round of the League Cup by Airdieonians at Easter Road.

Stevie Reid
08-10-2012, 09:28 AM
1993-4 was the last season of two points for a win. It was also the last season of the 12-team Premier Division. Three teams went down that season.

It woulod not have made any difference to Hibs' League position. Hibs would have closed up on Celtic by one point:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1993–94_Scottish_Premier_Division

Hibs would have finished second in 1994-5 had two points for a win been retained:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1994–95_Scottish_Premier_Division

Lost as few league games (seven) as 9 in a row Rangers in 1994-95, what a team we had - last season it took us a whole 14 games to lose 7.

I have always wondered what might have been had we signed Tommy Coyne instead of Motherwell that season - he was available for peanuts after the tragic loss of his wife and he had a great understanding with Keith Wright from their previous partnership at Dundee. That squad plus Coyne would have really pushed Rangers IMO.