PDA

View Full Version : That drummer

Cabbage East
06-10-2012, 06:17 PM
I've not wanted to criticise sect 43 but that laddie was a nonsense. All that's doing is creating an artificial atmosphere. There were times today when the old east wanted to sing and he'd interrupt and ruin it with that Shan drum. Come on. Enoughs enough. This contrived atmosphere is killing the real singing from the folk that made the east special. Fair enough if you want to bang that drum when the place is quiet but at 3 up we're capable of making our own noise pal.

SGHIBEE
06-10-2012, 06:21 PM
You're a brave man...

HibeeN
06-10-2012, 06:23 PM
I generally like the drum, I think it encourages the singing and is really effective in chants like 'Alee Alee Oh' and 'Paddy Fenlon's Green and White Army'. I don't think it suits every song though, and there were a couple of times today I thought the rhythm was a wee bit off and it was disrupting the natural flow of some songs (can't think which ones specifically off the top of my head.)

Definitely been a good part in improving the atmosphere though, and helps even with just clapping. :thumbsup:

speedy_gonzales
06-10-2012, 06:25 PM
I've not wanted to criticise sect 43 but that laddie was a nonsense. All that's doing is creating an artificial atmosphere. There were times today when the old east wanted to sing and he'd interrupt and ruin it with that Shan drum. Come on. Enoughs enough. This contrived atmosphere is killing the real singing from the folk that made the east special. Fair enough if you want to bang that drum when the place is quiet but at 3 up we're capable of making our own noise pal.
Not really how I heard/took it? I think Gogs43 is the drummer, my recollection is he was only drumming when the Sect43 guys started to sing, he beat a few bars then let the chanters take over, then when a new/different song began he beat out a different rhythm.
The only think I found a 'wee' bit off putting was when the beat resonated off the West stand and when we heard it again in the East it was half a beat out, but that's the physics for you!
Carry on beating that drum Gogs!

down-the-slope
06-10-2012, 06:25 PM

Thats nonsense on many levels. :rolleyes:

Johnny0762
06-10-2012, 06:27 PM
The drum is usually used sparingly and sensibly so I'm guessing the normal drummer was either ill in bed or mashed out his brain today because it was out of time and well over used.

Famous Fiver
06-10-2012, 06:27 PM
Go and sit somewhere else.

Get a number 33 bus and see where that takes you.........

At The Edge
06-10-2012, 06:30 PM
Today we had a new drummer, as our resident thumper is away in sunnier climes, for a first time he did ok, hes never so much as hit a drum before today, so it understandable his timing was a bit out at times.
He also realises after today that not all songs need a beat, but he had a blast and it takes balls to start songs off as he did,( hes not even 16 yet)

feel free to come up for a shot.
:greengrin

fat freddy
06-10-2012, 06:31 PM
i liked it... it sounds good from the f.f. stand and it improves the atmosphere of the whole stadium...i think it would be good to have drums in all the stands to give the stadium a samba rhythm...it would encourage the players to play like brazil more often and it was noticable that wotherspoon played better when he moved over to the drum side of the stadium in the 2nd half...this is the effect that drums can have and i hear that cozy powel has been enlisted by pat fenlon to help out at east mains.

hfc rd
06-10-2012, 06:33 PM
I like the drum. It adds a different dynamic to the atmosphere.

At The Edge
06-10-2012, 06:33 PM
i liked it... it sounds good from the f.f. stand and it improves the atmosphere of the whole stadium...i think it would be good to have drums in all the stands to give the stadium a samba rhythm...it would encourage the players to play like brazil more often and it was noticable that wotherspoon played better when he moved over to the drum side of the stadium in the 2nd half...this is the effect that drums can have and i hear that cozy powel has been enlisted by pat fenlon to help out at east mains.

I guess that will be in spirit only:wink:

Pretty Boy
06-10-2012, 06:34 PM
I quite like the drum.

I initially feared it might be a bit annoying like the Livi drummer but It's ok. Keeps the time of songs well.

People need to give Sect 43 a break. Sure they make mistakes but on the whole they have been and continue to be a positive. It's not my cup of tea to get actively involved in but they're not doing any harm and are good for the atmosphere imo.

Chuck Rhoades
I'm the usual drummer, however im in Tenerife so one of the younger lads played. Normal service shall resume when i am back :wink:

matty_f
I thought it'd bug the tits off me, but I'll happily admit to being wrong. The drum really works to help the atmosphere.

iwasthere1972
06-10-2012, 06:38 PM
I thought he was good and helped to create the brilliant atmosphere today.

Golden Bear
06-10-2012, 06:42 PM
The whole atmosphere within the stadium has changed for the better this season and the drum has been a major influence.

Keep on drumming imo.

wearethehibs
06-10-2012, 06:47 PM
As stated above the normal drummer wasn't there. A young lad had the balls to give it a go. He wasn't great but it still helped with the atmosphere. Next time he does it he will be better from trying it today.

A lot of the chants are so much better with the drum keeping the rhythm.

down-the-slope
06-10-2012, 06:48 PM
when are we getting one of these :trumpet: :greengrin

Hibs07p
06-10-2012, 07:02 PM

Ah, the good old days.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZsOVCaLGyQ&feature=related

Sect 43, your task for the next home game is to learn the contents of the above link ( if it works ) and get the East rocking. :greengrin

LeighLoyal
06-10-2012, 07:06 PM
I'm the usual drummer, however im in Tenerife so one of the younger lads played. Normal service shall resume when i am back :wink:

You were missed, mate.

semaj64
06-10-2012, 07:07 PM
Thought it worked well, even inspired the West stand with their tradtional 3 Hibees chant well done all

Ozyhibby
06-10-2012, 07:10 PM
Can't fault section 43. They're doing a great job and will get better with time. As the team improves and fans start coming back I think the atmosphere in the East will be great.

Johnny0762
06-10-2012, 07:14 PM
Can't fault section 43. They're doing a great job and will get better with time. As the team improves and fans start coming back I think the atmosphere in the East will be great.

The East was literally rocking late on in the second half. When we were doing the Hibees Bounce the floor was literally bouncing. It was brilliant. :greengrin:flag:

HibbyAndy
06-10-2012, 07:16 PM
Excellent atmosphere, Drum is superb:agree:

JIm
06-10-2012, 07:17 PM
Keep the drum a drumming, think its great.

NORTHERNHIBBY
06-10-2012, 07:18 PM
The replacement drummer is surely using the instrument to embody the new Hibs as they are both hard to beat???

cabbageandribs1875
06-10-2012, 07:19 PM

my all-time fav drummer :applause: *** on feel the noise

cabbageandribs1875
06-10-2012, 07:23 PM
Ah, the good old days.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZsOVCaLGyQ&feature=related

good one,

you wanna go to school and get a degree

or do you wanna be the leader of the YLT :gun:

aaaaah the memories :thumbsup:

Albanian Hibs
06-10-2012, 07:27 PM
I love the drum. Keep it up!!

ian cruise
06-10-2012, 07:28 PM

We had plenty of them wearing Hibs shirts last season

JIm
06-10-2012, 07:28 PM
good one,

:flag:

That could work haha

06-10-2012, 07:32 PM
I like the drum TBH. Its not used too erratically (which is what i was worried about when first mentioned) but is enough to create a good beat and keep everyone in tune. Ive been to football venues in the past where opposition fans have used a drum(s) and its just been a racket, no rythm to it atall, just someone hitting it as loud and as fast as they can and it just sounds terrible.

Hibby70
06-10-2012, 07:33 PM
I like the drum, it will sound even better in a few weeks when I bring my vuvuzela.

wearethehibs
06-10-2012, 07:35 PM
I like the drum, it will sound even better in a few weeks when I bring my vuvuzela.

Cue a 5 pager on here in a few weeks lol

Nuitdelune
06-10-2012, 07:40 PM

I have a vuvuzela and a spare if anyone wants a loan for the match. Is the drum coming up to Ross County on the 20th?

Hibs07p
06-10-2012, 07:46 PM
good one,

That's exactly how I remember it in the days before segregation. :agree:

DC_Hibs
06-10-2012, 07:49 PM
This thread has turned out very well with the majority praising the 15 year old lad who took up the mantle while Rossco Bongo is giving Veronica('s) a good seeing to.

Onwards and Upwards young team. I look forward to the day when we have a packed out east stand AND we are rewarded with a good performance on the pitch.

OK, Bye for now.

ronaldo7
06-10-2012, 07:57 PM

Welcome back, Ringo Ross.

You could maybe give the laddie a wee lesson when your back. He'll get better in a drumbeat.

At The Edge
06-10-2012, 08:30 PM
I have a vuvuzela and a spare if anyone wants a loan for the match. Is the drum coming up to Ross County on the 20th?

its seat has been booked on the bus! :thumbsup:

ChooseLife
06-10-2012, 08:32 PM
The drummer was fine today, not once did he interrupt any chants, the stadium was bouncing today especially in the 2nd half, the east doesn't stop singing at all during the 90 mins, mainly due to the drum, keep at it guys :aok:

JIm
06-10-2012, 08:36 PM
On a side note what was the banner that was unfurled at start of the game?

Nuitdelune
06-10-2012, 08:40 PM
its seat has been booked on the bus! :thumbsup:

I will stand him a pie :thumbsup:

brianmc
06-10-2012, 08:52 PM
Ach he's nae Dave Lombardo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qpETZfpDXI&feature=youtube_gdata_player

darwenhibby
06-10-2012, 08:54 PM
The drummer was fine today, not once did he interrupt any chants, the stadium was bouncing today especially in the 2nd half, the east doesn't stop singing at all during the 90 mins, mainly due to the drum, keep at it guys :aok:

We're sat here at Bolton station still given it alle alle oh to the drum. Atmosphere at er getting better by the game!
And the wallpaper sticks to the wall!!! Original poster what pwik GGTTH

kennyh
06-10-2012, 09:34 PM
The section seems to be getting busier as time goes on, the view from the FF stand over to S43 is good. Pity most folk in the North only want to clap along rather than join in with the singing but that will do for now.

Good rendition of Sunshine on Leith by the way.

Keep up the good work. You are helping my enjoyment of the game.

Glory Glory

clerriehibs
06-10-2012, 09:35 PM
You were missed, mate.

Not at all ... the young lad did very well!

GreenCastle
06-10-2012, 10:03 PM
Since we are winning now - fans have to complain about something :rolleyes:

If you don't like the noise go to the library.

ER hasn't had much to cheer about the last few years - the fans are trying to change that with Section 43 and the drum helps.

KEEP THE DRUM and KEEP BACKING THE TEAM SECTION 43 :thumbsup::top marks

bingo70
06-10-2012, 10:10 PM
I think the drum is a pain in the tits, also don't like this clap along Saturday night tv like chant that's started up but it seems chants like these are part and parcel of modern stadiums unfortunately.

One thing I don't understand though is I thought section 43 were against modern football or whatever the slogan is? Don't recall many drums in old school terraces?!

clerriehibs
06-10-2012, 10:16 PM
I think the drum is a pain in the tits, also don't like this clap along Saturday night tv like chant that's started up but it seems chants like these are part and parcel of modern stadiums unfortunately.

One thing I don't understand though is I thought section 43 were against modern football or whatever the slogan is? Don't recall many drums in old school terraces?!

There's a drummer in the http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?246666-The-Easter-Road-Parade video ...

iwasthere1972
06-10-2012, 11:29 PM
Just a thought. Maybe the young laddie could get hold of a second drum and take up residence in the west stand. :greengrin

Cauld Bovril
07-10-2012, 12:16 AM
I think the op had high expectations after watching this guy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItZyaOlrb7E

zlatan
07-10-2012, 02:07 AM
Remember when we banned the Livi drummer many moons ago? :hilarious

ALF TUPPER
07-10-2012, 04:44 AM
I like the drummer boy ..... Parrup-a-pum-pum

andyf5
07-10-2012, 06:40 AM

There were some games last season when the ONLY thing I enjoyed was the section 43 drum and chants. Well done to you all and keep it going.

marinello59
07-10-2012, 07:00 AM
I hardly noticed the drummer to be honest and the few times I did I can't say it bothered me.
Full marks to Section43 again.
The whole Hibs support deserves credit for the match day atmosphere these days. My feeling is that we are much more tolerant of mistakes this season. It does help that we are now watching a much more committed team of course. Lets not forget the only real show that matters is on the pitch , if it wasn't happening there the place would still be silent.

Barney McGrew
07-10-2012, 07:24 AM

:hilarious

:top marks

patlowe
07-10-2012, 07:27 AM
I hardly noticed the drummer to be honest and the few times I did I can't say it bothered me.
The whole Hibs support deserves credit for the match day atmosphere these days. My feeling is that we are much more tolerant of mistakes this season. It does help that we are now watching a much more committed team of course. Lets not forget the only real show that matters is on the pitch , if it wasn't happening there the place would still be silent.

Yep, the atmosphere in the ground is incredibly positive compared to the last couple of years. Sect 43 and the drummer deserve some credit for this IMO. Having a constant song/rhythm makes it feel much more natural for the entire stadium to join in when things go right on the pitch.

Hibees ya bas
07-10-2012, 07:37 AM
I've not wanted to criticise sect 43 but that laddie was a nonsense. All that's doing is creating an artificial atmosphere. There were times today when the old east wanted to sing and he'd interrupt and ruin it with that Shan drum. Come on. Enoughs enough. This contrived atmosphere is killing the real singing from the folk that made the east special. Fair enough if you want to bang that drum when the place is quiet but at 3 up we're capable of making our own noise pal. sounded good from the west. Singing at football will never ne what it used to be. But results snd good performencrs will encourage more to get involved. Even the west were most people seem to think there not allowed to get involved unfortunstely! I will continue to try and convert them Hyb

matty_f
07-10-2012, 07:44 AM

:agree:

RIP
07-10-2012, 08:00 AM
sounded good from the west. Singing at football will never ne what it used to be. But results snd good performencrs will encourage more to get involved. Even the west were most people seem to think there not allowed to get involved unfortunstely! I will continue to try and convert them Hyb

Speaking as someone who has sung regularly at games since 1961 I can't remember a time when we had 90 minutes of singing. The old memory ain't what it used to be but I can remember loads of games in the 70's and 80's where the singing was pretty constant for long periods.

But nothing like yesterday - that was almost the whole game. Great to hear Hail Hail; We are Hibernian FC; Hibees Bounce; Shanks Says No; Hibees, Hibees; Turnbull's Tornadoes; Hibernian - Give us a goal all in the repertoire along with the new songs. A traditional, stand up, terracing experience :thumbsup:

All we need now is a slower drum beat to some songs (The first two are sung waaay too fast IMO) and the resurrection of "Gerrintaethem "and "Come and have a go with the Hibees Aggro" :greengrin

HUTCHYHIBBY
07-10-2012, 08:40 AM

Seemingly theres about 390K of them missing from Tynie!

greenlex
07-10-2012, 08:43 AM
my all-time fav drummer :applause: *** on feel the noise

Are you getting Don and Cozy mixed up? Both decent drumists. :greengrin:greengrin

Frogga
07-10-2012, 11:12 AM
Love the drum and love being a Hibee.

cabbageandribs1875
07-10-2012, 11:21 AM
Are you getting Don and Cozy mixed up? Both decent drumists. :greengrin:greengrin

you're absolutely correct :doh: having been a huge fan of slade(and even went to see their film in rodney street a few decades ago) i've ALWAYS thought it was cozy :embarrass so, 30+ years later on i'm finding out something new :agree: ta

p.s. i hated heavy rock and groups like whitesnake and black sabbath :rolleyes: was more a reggae man in my yoof :cool2:

heretoday
07-10-2012, 12:35 PM

I couldn't agree more. I'm listening to the constant drumbeat at Parkhead right now and that doesn't sound good either.

But with Hibs top of the league you have to be a brave man to say it!

Malthibby
07-10-2012, 12:45 PM
Had a mate up from Manchester at the game & he was well impressed by 43. I've said before that they disturb my naps
but ER would be funereal without them.
All hail Section 43.:not worth

darrenmcintosh2
07-10-2012, 01:05 PM
3 goals at home a clean sheet. A decent performance. Who gives a badgers baw bag if the u16s drummer was out. Well in mate my rear end would have exploded If a took the drum haha

TheEastTerrace
07-10-2012, 01:36 PM
The difference for me is that the Livi drummer used to hammer away without many or any of the Livi fans joining in. Appears Sect 43 have a co-ordinated approach of songs and drum-beats.

People were moaning the East had no atmosphere in its new guise and now it does have a bit of an atmosphere going, people are still moaning. Can't please anyone.

Keep it up Sect 43.

The_Sauz
07-10-2012, 01:39 PM

No Yams at the Holy ground thanks! :greengrin

WheresTheBevvy?
07-10-2012, 02:33 PM

so youre the boy who makes my hangover 10x worse now....

Chuck Rhoades
07-10-2012, 03:24 PM
3 goals at home a clean sheet. A decent performance. Who gives a badgers baw bag if the u16s drummer was out. Well in mate my rear end would have exploded If a took the drum haha

How old are you like? Considering theres only 5/6 under 18s and the rest are in their 20s you info is wrong.

Badgers baw bag?

NAE NOOKIE
07-10-2012, 04:27 PM
Everybody knows that when your regular drummer is on form you dont change him. Even to let him go on holiday.

Instead of moaning about the drum, heres an idea. Why dont we have a bring a noisy item to ER day ... I've got an old football rattle I could bring. I'm sure folk have got drums and trumpets and stuff at home .... even a biscuit tin and a stick would do.

Golden Bear
07-10-2012, 04:28 PM
Our drummers are better than the 'Tic drummers and so say all of us :greengrin

Seriously, I think the Celtic drum has detracted from the atmosphere at their games rather than add to it. There's now too much Euro style chanting and from what I heard this afternoon less of the crowd are joining in.

Not that I'm a renowned expert in these matters of course.

:cb

MSK
07-10-2012, 04:48 PM
Everybody knows that when your regular drummer is on form you dont change him. Even to let him go on holiday.

Instead of moaning about the drum, heres an idea. Why dont we have a bring a noisy item to ER day ... I've got an old football rattle I could bring. I'm sure folk have got drums and trumpets and stuff at home .... even a biscuit tin and a stick would do.

:greengrinI will bring my Wife then ... :sofa:

VickMackie
07-10-2012, 05:23 PM
I like it.

NAE NOOKIE
07-10-2012, 05:26 PM
I will bring my Wife then ... :sofa:

Makaveli
07-10-2012, 05:55 PM
I love the drum. TBH I thought at the game that it might have been a different guy as the beat was sometimes a bit out, but the boy did well.

Two specific positives:
1-- going straight into to Allé Allé Alleo after the 2nd and 3rd goals got most of the stand to join in, also makes the song more popular (some don't like it, fair enough, I think it's a cracker).

2-- starting the old 9-clap Hibees chant everytime we missed a chance near the end. Keeps the crowd positive and drowns out "how the f*** did you miss that" etc. Again, folk were joining in the whole way down.

The new East will never be the old East, but at the same time it's like a different world from the early Calderwood-era morgue.

FranckSuzy
07-10-2012, 06:00 PM
How old are you like? Considering theres only 5/6 under 18s and the rest are in their 20s you info is wrong.

Badgers baw bag?

I think he was actually backing you guys :wink: :greengrin

Jonnyboy
07-10-2012, 08:14 PM
As someone who seriously considered hiring a sniper when the Livi drummer started his banging I have to confess I thought I'd hate the S43 one but I was wrong. It's great, adds to the general singing and atmosphere and has, by my reckoning attracted about 3 criticisms in the 78 posts so far.

As to the singing of the 'old east' ...... where are you all these days?

GreenCastle
07-10-2012, 08:27 PM
Ok shows 99% of people on here like the drum so keep it :greengrin

As for the singing yesterday it was close to 90 mins non stop signing and even the old East rarely had that.

Full credit to those involved - if you don't like the drum or singing then sit elsewhere - there are plenty of other seats :agree:

frazeHFC
07-10-2012, 08:34 PM
Yesterday was one of the best atmospheres in years i can remember. Good singing for 90 minutes, and very very loud at parts when the whole ground joined in. It was amazing to see the West and FF when the whole of those stands were clapping along to PFGAWA. :thumbsup: Drum is amazing and someone doing it for the first time is obviously going to make the odd mistake.

seanraff07
07-10-2012, 09:03 PM
One of our best games as a group IMO, definitely our best this season. And the atmosphere around the whole ground is improving by the week. There's no moaning and groaning of previous, it seems to be all encouragement now which is great. The atmosphere that had been made in the last 15/20 mins of our previous home games this season was matched for the whole 90 mins yesterday which we're delighted about.

Everyone should be proud of their efforts in the stands on Saturday :agree:

hfc rd
07-10-2012, 09:20 PM
Yesterday was one of the best atmospheres in years i can remember. Good singing for 90 minutes, and very very loud at parts when the whole ground joined in. It was amazing to see the West and FF when the whole of those stands were clapping along to PFGAWA. :thumbsup: Drum is amazing and someone doing it for the first time is obviously going to make the odd mistake.

Spoke to a couple of Dundee fans that I know who were at the game and they thought the atmosphere was the best they have witnessed than any other ground in the league this season. Thought that once hibs start stringing a couple of results together, the ground will get busier and it will create an amazing and intimidating atmosphere.

hfc rd
07-10-2012, 09:23 PM
Our drummers are better than the 'Tic drummers and so say all of us :greengrin

Seriously, I think the Celtic drum has detracted from the atmosphere at their games rather than add to it. There's now too much Euro style chanting and from what I heard this afternoon less of the crowd are joining in.

Not that I'm a renowned expert in these matters of course.

:cb

Our singing section is much better than theirs. They just sing the same old songs while sect 43 always mix it up.

Johnny0762
07-10-2012, 09:29 PM

You're right. **** it .. I'm taking fireworks too. :greengrin:greengrin

hfc rd
07-10-2012, 09:43 PM

I'll take my Indian dhol drum. ;p

Johnny0762
07-10-2012, 09:45 PM
I'll take my Indian dhol drum. ;p

OMG!! You'll snare a few with that one.

hfc rd
07-10-2012, 09:52 PM
OMG!! You'll snare a few with that one.

Haha! I know. I remember when I was at molineux last season for the wolves v utd match. Their were a couple of dhol drummers in the wolves end there and the wolves fans loved it and started pretending to do some Bhangra despite losing the game 5-0. Oh I've never laughed so hard at a footy match in my life.

Johnny0762
07-10-2012, 09:56 PM
Haha! I know. I remember when I was at molineux last season for the wolves v utd match. Their were a couple of dhol drummers in the wolves end there and the wolves fans loved it and started pretending to do some Bhangra despite losing the game 5-0. Oh I've never laughed so hard at a footy match in my life.

Bhangra's ****in brilliant mate. We need some at Easter Road.

Why is our club under represented with Asian fans?

UltrasHibernian
07-10-2012, 10:09 PM
Now that the drums been accepted by the majority, i think it may be time for the brass band to get cabbage and ribs going :greengrin

As a group as stated by another group member further up, was our best effort as a group. The lot of us where literally struggling to speak at half time / minutes before, still don't know how some of us kept going throughout the whole second half.

For his first time using the drum he done decent he even knows where he's went wrong, trainee back up drummer :wink:

RIP
07-10-2012, 10:20 PM
Bhangra's ****in brilliant mate. We need some at Easter Road.

Why is our club under represented with Asian fans?

I was at a wedding attended by one of the Singh brothers fae Leith and when he played a bhangra track we were all on the floor gieing it laldy

Hibs have a good few Asian supporters but most of the lads work Saturdays. Sunday is the day off to catch up with the family.

Hibercelona
07-10-2012, 10:28 PM
There should be a section 43 band that plays Hibs tunes and sings along before the game and at half time. Would be a nice change over some of the p!sh we get over the tannoy system.

Sparky9
08-10-2012, 01:54 AM
The drummer is good for songs such as 'Alee Alle oooooh' and du du du du du du du du du hibees, hard to explain haha. Other times it is annoying and shouldnt be used for songs like 'uh to be a hibee' that are ment to be intimidating but at the same time getting the players influenced.