PDA

View Full Version : McGivern, Claros & Griffiths: good players, but possibly away in January?

hfc rd
06-10-2012, 04:59 PM
These three were absolutely different class today. But the downside is we are potentially going to lose them in January. I sincerely hope paddy and the board are trying their utmost best to try and make the three of these guys' move permanent up here.

Mikey
06-10-2012, 05:02 PM
The number of half season tickets sold will go a long way to deciding whether any of them can be kept on.

matty_f
06-10-2012, 05:09 PM
Claros has been our best player this season imho. Hopefully we can keep hold of these players longer.

hfc rd
06-10-2012, 05:09 PM
The number of half season tickets sold will go a long way to deciding whether any of them can be kept on.

True fair point Mikey. Then again if we keep up this good run then that is how we will get the fans back and also be able to attract some good quality players.

Golden Bear
06-10-2012, 05:30 PM
Yes, these 3 were excellent today but my man of the match was Eoin Doyle. I thought he was absolutely fantastic today. The guy has got the lot and we've got a real star on our hands.

:thumbsup:

Piqué
06-10-2012, 05:34 PM
Yes, these 3 were excellent today but my man of the match was Eoin Doyle. I thought he was absolutely fantastic today. The guy has got the lot and we've got a real star on our hands.

Will need to get him a new contract too, think his expires at the end of the season. Had another good game today.

J-C
06-10-2012, 05:35 PM

Griffiths may be the only problem, does any one know how much he's on at Wolves, Hibs will pay a portion of his wage but if he's on say £5-6k and we only pay £2k, where is the other £3-4K coming from.

hfc rd
06-10-2012, 05:36 PM
Anyone got a list of the players in the current squad who are going to be free agents in the summer?

Jones28
06-10-2012, 05:39 PM
Considering a half season ticket myself, I've decided I've been in the huff for long enough! Hopefully like minded individuals do there bit to hang on to these guys

monktonharp
06-10-2012, 05:39 PM
These three were absolutely different class today. But the downside is we are potentially going to lose them in January. I sincerely hope paddy and the board are trying their utmost best to try and make the three of these guys' move permanent up here.:agree:with those 3 still there, we'd win the new year derby

LeighLoyal
06-10-2012, 05:51 PM
Impressed with McGivern, too bad he didn't start vs ICT, would have two more points.

Tyler Durden
06-10-2012, 06:10 PM

I doubt it will.

The length of Griffiths loan would have been decided by Wolves. Whether he's allowed to return will depend on what other offers Wolves get for him in January. I think Hibs will live to regret not doing more to secure him permanently in January past or the summer. Maybe they did try - I'm speculating of course.

Doubt the uptake of half season tickets will have too much influence but maybe Rod has another begging letter drafted, ready to publish on the website on Jan 1st......

Johnny0762
06-10-2012, 06:11 PM

We're walk ups but only missed one home game this season so we're in for half seasons for Christmas. :aok:

06-10-2012, 07:21 PM
I thought Cairney also did really well today, I been really impressed with him since hes came!

NORTHERNHIBBY
06-10-2012, 08:13 PM
If McGivern keeps playing I can see him staying until the season is out because he would be down the pecking order at Citeh. Claros was always a short-termer so we just need to make the most while he is here. It is a shame that he took a good while to come good. The wider point maybe is that if and when they do go, there is nothing wrong in replacing them with other loanees, as long as we go for quality.

hfc rd
06-10-2012, 08:18 PM
If McGivern keeps playing I can see him staying until the season is out because he would be down the pecking order at Citeh. Claros was always a short-termer so we just need to make the most while he is here. It is a shame that he took a good while to come good. The wider point maybe is that if and when they do go, there is nothing wrong in replacing them with other loanees, as long as we go for quality.

True. I hope we can keep them for the derby at least so we can give them a proper great send off. Also I think PF is going to free up some wages as cant see Kujabi, Galbraith & Sproule still here by the end of Jan.

GGTTH07
06-10-2012, 10:17 PM
Anyone know when Leigh, claros and McGiverns deals end.. Actual date, need to have them for 2nd of January.

Green Cabbage 7
07-10-2012, 07:59 AM
Anyone know when Leigh, claros and McGiverns deals end.. Actual date, need to have them for 2nd of January.

Don't know about the others but when claros signed last january I thought it was for 18 months could be wrong though, if this is correct we have him till the end of the season

hibee_girl
07-10-2012, 08:43 AM
Don't know about the others but when claros signed last january I thought it was for 18 months could be wrong though, if this is correct we have him till the end of the season

That was Kujabi, Claros only signed for a year

Iain G
07-10-2012, 08:45 AM
That was Kujabi, Claros only signed for a year

I was sure Claros was 18 months...?!

hibee_girl
07-10-2012, 08:46 AM
I was sure Claros was 18 months...?!

Just a year

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/16803300

Leighonel
07-10-2012, 08:56 AM
They all expire in January

500miles
07-10-2012, 10:08 AM
I trust Pat to either suitably replace, or sign them permanently.

sahib
07-10-2012, 10:23 AM
I trust Pat to either suitably replace, or sign them permanently.

If we have enough points to avoid relegation by that time, Petrie might not want to waste cash by signing anyone.

Heisenberg
07-10-2012, 10:39 AM
I think Taiwo will step in for Claros as his club in Honduras will most likely be looking for a big transfer fee, which is a shame as he's been a revelation this season. Hopefully we can keep the other two till at least the end of the season.

ekhibee
07-10-2012, 11:32 AM
In a way it's quite worrying, all three have had an impact, even though McGivern has only really played a game or two for us. Unfortunately, I can only really see us being able to afford Griffiths in terms of buying them outright. Claros' club in Honduras will probably want a hefty fee for him, and even though McGivern is probably down the pecking order at Man City, they'd still want more than what we could afford IMO. Best hope is that we can get new loan deals signed up for them till the end of the season. Just my opinion though.

hibsbollah
07-10-2012, 11:45 AM
At a guess, id say in January Claros will be gone, and we'll negotiate Griffiths and McGivern to stay until the summer.

Hibs7
07-10-2012, 11:48 AM
Griffiths and Claros I would like to see made permanent , a new deal for Doyle if Hibs can do it, and extend McGivern till the end of the season, then let's see where we are.
Remember Griffiths can sign a pre contract in January , hopefully with us.

hfc rd
07-10-2012, 11:56 AM
I might be wrong but I'm sure McGivern mentioned that he is going to be out of contract at the end of the season. If so, then I hope him & Griffiths get signed up permanently. Sadly however I think Claros is going to be away in jan. But I hope it's after the derby.

Keith_M
07-10-2012, 12:16 PM

I don't care WHAT you say Mikey, I still think you're on commission for ST sales :greengrin

NAE NOOKIE
07-10-2012, 05:21 PM
We have to plan along the lines of losing all of them in January.

With any luck Taiwo will be a decent replacement for Claros and apart from a couple of ( unfortunately ) costly errors by Maybury I still think he is a decent LB.

How we replace LG is the biggest headache though. Its a shame because Doyle is looking better and better so we need a decent partner for him. Dunno about kuqi TBH and now Caldwell seems to be taking a back seat too.

I seriously doubt that LG will be able to turn down a move to an English club who can pay 2 or 3 times more than us and if he wants to make good money from the game he cant hang around at ER forever ... much as I'm sure he would like to.

Its a big task for PF and the board, but they only have 3 months to find somebody who can replace LG if it comes to it. What they come up with could make the difference between a better season and a brilliant season.

chrisski33
07-10-2012, 05:26 PM
Maybe they will all stay!

FranckSuzy
07-10-2012, 05:57 PM
Maybe they will all stay! :agree: :greengrin

Here was I still enjoying watching the win yesterday and now it's 'oh no, some of the best players in the that game might leave'. Gee's 24 hours at least to enjoy watching the Hibs, eh? :wink: :aok:

J-C
07-10-2012, 06:12 PM
Claros has indicated he wants to stay, if McGivern gets enough game time his loan might be extended and Griffiths problem may be his wages, as we'll only be paying a % of his Wolves wage.

Jack Hackett
07-10-2012, 06:45 PM
Claros has indicated he wants to stay, if McGivern gets enough game time his loan might be extended and Griffiths problem may be his wages, as we'll only be paying a % of his Wolves wage.

I remember an article in the Scotsman a few weeks back where Jorge said he'd love to stay. I don't know when his contract at Motagua expires, so this may determine whether or not they wish to recall him and make some cash from a transfer. According to their site his loan expires on the 31st December.

They sold Izaguirre to Celtic for about £650K, so he'd probably be available for about £500K or less at a guess. This is the sort of situation where we need to speculate to accumulate. IMO he's a player who is only now beginning to acclimatise to British football and he can only improve. Another year or so at a successful
Hibs will only see his value increase, and Hibs could make a killing.

The same applies to LG. He has only 6 months left on his contract in January, and any fee would be appropriately reduced. Leigh loves the Hibs, and I'm sure he'd like to play a major part in our revival, knowing that a sacrifice wages wise now, could pay big dividends for us, and him, a year or 18 months from now.

I don't know how long Ryan has left on his contract, but defenders take longer to impress, traditionally, than strikers, due to the nature of game and the people who hit the headlines. Half a season at Hibs, however good he is in that time, is unlikely to secure him an immediate spot in Citeh's plans. I think Mancini will extend his loan and Ryan won't object.

Get it sorted Rod!

chrisski33
07-10-2012, 07:04 PM
Maybe they will all stay!

hfc rd
07-10-2012, 07:53 PM
I remember an article in the Scotsman a few weeks back where Jorge said he'd love to stay. I don't know when his contract at Motagua expires, so this may determine whether or not they wish to recall him and make some cash from a transfer. According to their site his loan expires on the 31st December.

They sold Izaguirre to Celtic for about £650K, so he'd probably be available for about £500K or less at a guess. This is the sort of situation where we need to speculate to accumulate. IMO he's a player who is only now beginning to acclimatise to British football and he can only improve. Another year or so at a successful
Hibs will only see his value increase, and Hibs could make a killing.

The same applies to LG. He has only 6 months left on his contract in January, and any fee would be appropriately reduced. Leigh loves the Hibs, and I'm sure he'd like to play a major part in our revival, knowing that a sacrifice wages wise now, could pay big dividends for us, and him, a year or 18 months from now.

I don't know how long Ryan has left on his contract, but defenders take longer to impress, traditionally, than strikers, due to the nature of game and the people who hit the headlines. Half a season at Hibs, however good he is in that time, is unlikely to secure him an immediate spot in Citeh's plans. I think Mancini will extend his loan and Ryan won't object.

Get it sorted Rod!

I'm sure McGivern said that his contract at citeh runs out in the summer when he got his first interview as a hibs player.

PatHead
07-10-2012, 08:56 PM
Impressed with McGivern, too bad he didn't start vs ICT, would have two more points.

Liked the look of him too. Big laddie who will take no nonsense. Worried he may go off to Hollywood though after his appearance in the DaVinci code

Stevie Reid
08-10-2012, 12:37 PM

Will need to get him a new contract too, think his expires at the end of the season. Had another good game today.

I've been impressed with Doyle since he first arrived, and he is just getting better all the time - very confident that he will sign another contract and that we will really benefit from his subsequent development. Bear in mind that he has only played one full season as a centre forward, and that was in Ireland.

He has now scored 7 goals in 17 starts, 26 overall appearances.

marleyhib
08-10-2012, 08:08 PM
It's great to be worried about players leaving rather than hoping they all bugger off.

I agree with Jack Hackett, signing Claros could prove to be a shrewd bit of business.

500miles
09-10-2012, 04:15 AM
I've not seen Hibs play since the Inverness game, so I know I'm out of date, but I'm not sure I see it with Claros. He has his moments where he picks a great pass, but, I feel that Deegan's aggressive style is more key to the improvement in our midfield, and the Honduran may be easier to replace than we think. Certainly i thought Lewis played well before his injury, and this lad Taiwo comes with decent expectations.

Griffiths would be a loss, but Caldwell and Doyle seemed to play well together, and i reckon the laddie would start scoring regularly after a few games.

McGirven i can't really comment on, but Maybury is steady enough, although maybe not as capable. Wouldnt be a disaster though. Would like to see Scott Smith develop though, as Booth doesn't seem to be setting the heather alight at Livi..... Although im not sure Yogi is the man to loan youngsters to. For all the credit he got at Falkirk, thier youth system seems to have continued without him, and he certainly never done anything for Wotherspoon's confidence.

And all that is without even considering that some might stay, Fenlon may have targets lined up. There are laddies in that QOTS team worth a look for example.

I'm more excited by the thought of where we could be come January, than I am worried. And that's keeping in mind how tight an SPL this is.

J-C
09-10-2012, 08:33 AM
I've not seen Hibs play since the Inverness game, so I know I'm out of date, but I'm not sure I see it with Claros. He has his moments where he picks a great pass, but, I feel that Deegan's aggressive style is more key to the improvement in our midfield, and the Honduran may be easier to replace than we think. Certainly i thought Lewis played well before his injury, and this lad Taiwo comes with decent expectations.

Griffiths would be a loss, but Caldwell and Doyle seemed to play well together, and i reckon the laddie would start scoring regularly after a few games.

McGirven i can't really comment on, but Maybury is steady enough, although maybe not as capable. Wouldnt be a disaster though. Would like to see Scott Smith develop though, as Booth doesn't seem to be setting the heather alight at Livi..... Although im not sure Yogi is the man to loan youngsters to. For all the credit he got at Falkirk, thier youth system seems to have continued without him, and he certainly never done anything for Wotherspoon's confidence.

And all that is without even considering that some might stay, Fenlon may have targets lined up. There are laddies in that QOTS team worth a look for example.

I'm more excited by the thought of where we could be come January, than I am worried. And that's keeping in mind how tight an SPL this is.

How can you come on here and spout this nonsense, specially as you say, you've not seen them recently.

Claros has been a standout the past 4 games, Griffiths is the heart and soul of the team, connects with the fans and scores for fun, Maybury has experience but has made a few mistakes recently, hence why McGivern came in on saturday and strolled effortlessly through the game.

Maybe Booth isn't setting heather alight because he isn't as good as we all thought he may be unfortunately, sometimes youngsters with talent, don't always develop the way you hope.

So before making comments, get along to some games and open your eyes to what's on the park. :confused:

500miles
09-10-2012, 09:41 AM
How can you come on here and spout this nonsense, specially as you say, you've not seen them recently.

Claros has been a standout the past 4 games, Griffiths is the heart and soul of the team, connects with the fans and scores for fun, Maybury has experience but has made a few mistakes recently, hence why McGivern came in on saturday and strolled effortlessly through the game.

Maybe Booth isn't setting heather alight because he isn't as good as we all thought he may be unfortunately, sometimes youngsters with talent, don't always develop the way you hope.

So before making comments, get along to some games and open your eyes to what's on the park. :confused:

Like I said, I was only commenting on what I HAD seen, as I can't get to games at the moment, although I hope to access the HI extended highlights soon. All im saying is we have options, and, at until the St. Johnstone game, I thought Deegan/Stevenson were better balanced than Deegan/ Claros.
Reports, during preseason and when Griffiths wad injured, and highlights of Caldwell suggest that given time, he could be effective too. Furthermore general reviews of Maybury have been positive, of a steady, reliable - although limited - player.
I look forward to being back at ER for the second half of the season.

essexhibee
09-10-2012, 09:48 AM
Griffiths on a four year contract please :agree: would say only Hooper is a better striker in the SPL.

J-C
09-10-2012, 10:28 AM
Like I said, I was only commenting on what I HAD seen, as I can't get to games at the moment, although I hope to access the HI extended highlights soon. All im saying is we have options, and, at until the St. Johnstone game, I thought Deegan/Stevenson were better balanced than Deegan/ Claros.
Reports, during preseason and when Griffiths wad injured, and highlights of Caldwell suggest that given time, he could be effective too. Furthermore general reviews of Maybury have been positive, of a steady, reliable - although limited - player.
I look forward to being back at ER for the second half of the season.

No Probs mate, not having a personal dig at you.
Maybury started ok but has made a couple of errors recently and he does look vulnerable against pace( cover player nowadays ), Caldwell's still young and raw and fingers crossed he comes good, Claros will pass Stevenson off the park all day long, with Deegan the enforcer type.

Get well and see you back soon.:greengrin