PDA

View Full Version : Temp goalie signed.... (Sean Murdoch, ex Hamilton Accies)

s.a.m
06-10-2012, 08:59 AM
Hibernian FC‏@HibernianFCClub BREAKING NEWS: Hibernian can announce that goalkeeper Sean Murdoch has joined the club until January #wearehibernianfc (http://www.hibs.net/search/?q=%23wearehibernianfc&src=hash) #hibees (http://www.hibs.net/search/?q=%23hibees&src=hash)

Viva_Palmeiras
06-10-2012, 09:01 AM
Whodat?

At The Edge
06-10-2012, 09:06 AM
Going by his wiki, hes an Edinburgh lad, played last season with Accrington Stanley in League 2, was released 3 months early due to lack of first team games, played with Hamiliton the season before that

bingo70
06-10-2012, 09:11 AM
Going by his wiki, hes an Edinburgh lad, played last season with Accrington Stanley in League 2, was released 3 months early due to lack of first team games, played with Hamiliton the season before that

Said this on another thread but according to his wiki he doesn't look particularly good but we need to remember it's unlikely he'll ever play so considering we're workign with a reduced budget now i'd rather gamble with a cheap reserve goalie instead of a goalkeeping school like Yogi had.

My only concern would be if it stops the likes of Antell getting a game but considering it's only a 6 month deal why Antell is away getting first team football i don't see that being a problem.

Bill Milne
06-10-2012, 09:17 AM
I believe this lad is from the Hailes and is a definite Hibby!!

Casey1875
06-10-2012, 09:29 AM
I believe this lad is from the Hailes and is a definite Hibby!!

He went to st augustines, played for st mirren and Hamilton before heading down south last season I think. He has already won one Scottish cup!

muzzhfc
06-10-2012, 09:33 AM
Said this on another thread but according to his wiki he doesn't look particularly good but we need to remember it's unlikely he'll ever play so considering we're workign with a reduced budget now i'd rather gamble with a cheap reserve goalie instead of a goalkeeping school like Yogi had.

My only concern would be if it stops the likes of Antell getting a game but considering it's only a 6 month deal why Antell is away getting first team football i don't see that being a problem.

Antell is away out on loan. he will of been signed as a result

pentlando
06-10-2012, 09:43 AM
He went to st augustines, played for st mirren and Hamilton before heading down south last season I think. He has already won one Scottish cup!

Was a few years above me at school. Always rem.embered him being a good shot stopper.

Judas Iscariot
06-10-2012, 10:09 AM
Guid Hailes laddie :thumbsup:

500miles
06-10-2012, 10:32 AM
Makes me think we have high expectations of Antell to go to all this trouble so he can get game time.

erin go bragh
06-10-2012, 11:07 AM
Phew ,thought we had resigned colin murdock for a split second .

ggtth

Golden Bear
06-10-2012, 11:11 AM
Makes me think we have high expectations of Antell to go to all this trouble so he can get game time.

How old is Antell ?

oconnors_strip
06-10-2012, 11:23 AM
How old is Antell ?

calum is 20

Golden Bear
06-10-2012, 11:28 AM
calum is 20

Thanks for that.

To be honest at 20 years of age a player (especially a goalkeeeper) should surely be physically and mentally strong enough to step into the first team if necessary. It's the way we do our business these days but other team's young players seem to make the transition without too much bother.

HibeeN
06-10-2012, 11:35 AM
Thanks for that.

To be honest at 20 years of age a player (especially a goalkeeeper) should surely be physically and mentally strong enough to step into the first team if necessary. It's the way we do our business these days but other team's young players seem to make the transition without too much bother.

Didn't we try that with Andy McNeil? He was a promising youngster and part of the Scotland U19 team that reached the final of the UEFA U19 championships, by all accounts a good prospect that was maybe forced into first-team football too young. All keepers make mistakes, but when younger keepers do it and the crowd gets on their back, I can imagine it would do nothing for their development. GK more than any other position needs a lot of confidence and mental strength, so maybe this is why we're not pushing the youngsters too hard, too early.

Golden Bear
06-10-2012, 11:39 AM
Didn't we try that with Andy McNeil? He was a promising youngster and part of the Scotland U19 team that reached the final of the UEFA U19 championships, by all accounts a good prospect that was maybe forced into first-team football too young. All keepers make mistakes, but when younger keepers do it and the crowd gets on their back, I can imagine it would do nothing for their development. GK more than any other position needs a lot of confidence and mental strength, so maybe this is why we're not pushing the youngsters too hard, too early.

It will depend on the individual attributes and confidence of the player but I do feel we adopt an ultra cautious approach to playing youngsters in the first team.

jdships
06-10-2012, 11:47 AM
Thanks for that.

Surely of all positions that of goalkeeper is the most ' up front' ?
A defender makes a mistake and the G/K saves the shot , a midfielder makes a mistake and defender helps out etc etc .
With G/K 'the buck stops there'
I would say that the G/K's 'trade' is the hardest to learn and it can only be learned by playing at as decent a level as possible .
Most keepers , in football terms, are late in maturing nearly always at least 23 before looking the finished article
How many top clubs have a 20 year old as their No 1 Keeper ? Very few I would imagine
Have high hopes for Antell looks very assured and think it is a good move from Fenlon to let him get as much game time as possible

:thumbsup:

offshorehibby
06-10-2012, 12:34 PM
Thanks for that.

He probably is ready but he's not going to get anywhere near the a game with Williams playing.

500miles
06-10-2012, 02:54 PM
Feel a bit sorry for Murdoch the now. Signs for his boyhood heroes and no one is bothered, and spends most of the time discussing the youth keeper he's covering for!

Best of luck Sean.... there's nae pressure to be fair!

Speedy
06-10-2012, 02:58 PM
Feel a bit sorry for Murdoch the now. Signs for his boyhood heroes and no one is bothered, and spends most of the time discussing the youth keeper he's covering for!

Best of luck Sean.... there's nae pressure to be fair!

Could be worse, everyone could be spending their time writing him off.

Hope he does well if required.

--------
06-10-2012, 03:48 PM
Could be worse, everyone could be spending their time writing him off.

Hope he does well if required.

Give Pat the chance to really get to know him. If he's any good, we can always make him the offer of an extension.

If he isn't good enough, no damage, hopefully.

But this thread's far too positive about the guy.

So I'll just mention that I notice from his Wiki page he used to be a JAMBO.

:dancer:

Jim Herriot
07-10-2012, 12:10 AM
Welcome to the hibees Sean!
And good luck to Calum at East Fife.

Liberal Hibby
07-10-2012, 12:56 AM
On a related point - what happened to Andy McNeil?

EdinMike
07-10-2012, 12:59 AM
Went to Primary and Secondary with big Murdo, played in many a football games with the lad. He's immense and was our keeper when we won the Scottish Cup with Auggies...Just saying :wink:

Hanny
07-10-2012, 01:02 AM
On a related point - what happened to Andy McNeil?

Currently playing for Livingston

Liberal Hibby
07-10-2012, 01:10 AM
Currently playing for Livingston

Thanks - glad he's still in the game. Was a talented keeper.