View Full Version : Hampden closed for a year (merged)

04-10-2012, 05:24 PM
From Twitter:

BBCKheredine‏@BBCKheredine (BBCKheredine‏@BBCKheredine) Confirmation tonight that Hampden will be a football-free zone for a year from Nov 2013 as a running track is put in for #Glasgow2014

BBCKheredine‏@BBCKheredine
The 2014 Scottish Cup and League Cup semis and final will all be played away from Hampden ; Queens Park also moving temporarily #Glasgow2014 (http://www.hibs.net/search/?q=%23Glasgow2014&src=hash)

04-10-2012, 05:27 PM
Will be Parkhead and Ibrox then, as I can't see them going to the effort of converting Murrayfield again.

Although it will be interesting to see what they do if it comes down to a weegie final.

04-10-2012, 05:32 PM
We're guaranteed to win the SC in 2014 now, since the final won't be at Hampden :wink: :pray:

04-10-2012, 05:47 PM
Will Rangers let them use Ibrox?!

04-10-2012, 06:06 PM
Just rip the dump down and move Scotland games and cup finals about all the time.

04-10-2012, 06:27 PM
Will Rangers let them use Ibrox?!

Will sevco still own ibrox may be a more pertinent question.

04-10-2012, 06:36 PM
Just rip the dump down and move Scotland games and cup finals about all the time.

Correct mate. ****hole. 50 million quid main stand built for the execs and an old terracing converted to ****ty, shallow seating for the rest of us. Rip it down.

The national stadium should be in Edinburgh.

04-10-2012, 06:37 PM
We're guaranteed to win the SC in 2014 now, since the final won't be at Hampden :wink: :pray:
Hibs have never won the Scottish Cup at Hampden anyway.

04-10-2012, 06:48 PM
Correct mate. ****hole. 50 million quid main stand built for the execs and an old terracing converted to ****ty, shallow seating for the rest of us. Rip it down.

The national stadium should be in Edinburgh.
Edinburgh is a nightmare for parking and most roads in and out are reduced to one lane! If they did decide to build a new national multi-purpose stadium, then it should be on the outskirts of Stirling :agree:

04-10-2012, 06:56 PM
Hibs have never won the Scottish Cup at Hampden anyway.

What was the name of the stadium at which Hibs won the Scottish Cup in 1887?:greengrin

04-10-2012, 07:11 PM
Old Trafford :-)

04-10-2012, 07:12 PM
What was the name of the stadium at which Hibs won the Scottish Cup in 1887?:greengrin

Whooops. For some reason I thought Hibs had only ever won the cup at Celtic Park.

Purple & Green
04-10-2012, 07:38 PM

I think it was the 2nd hampden - which is now or was Cathkin park.

04-10-2012, 07:45 PM
I think it was the 2nd hampden - which is now or was Cathkin park.

You are correct, but it was still called Hampden Park at the time.

I was teasing Sean more than anything else.

I'm sure I read somewhere they are renovating Cathkin Park and Third Lanark are reforming as a Junior team.

I remember years ago when the Scottish Bowling finals were played at Queens Park wandering up to look for it. It was quite eerie when I found it, the grass was still being cut regularly and the terracing intact although weeds growing all over it.

04-10-2012, 07:47 PM
You are correct, but it was still called Hampden Park at the time.

I was teasing Sean more than anything else.

I'm sure I read somewhere they are renovating Cathkin Park and Third Lanark are reforming as a Junior team.

I remember years ago when the Scottish Bowling finals were played at Queens Park wandering up to look for it. It was quite eerie when I found it, the grass was still being cut regularly and the terracing intact although weeds growing all over it.

Think I read somewhere that the pitch is still in regular use?

04-10-2012, 07:54 PM
Think I read somewhere that the pitch is still in regular use?

I went there before the final in May (prompted by one of Jonnyboy's posts). Pitch was there, complete with markings and goalposts, and although the side where the stand was is now just flat and grassed, there was terracing on three sides complete with stairways and whatever the barriers you lean on are called. Quite dilapidated with shrubbery and trees growing through, but sufficiently intact to be able to imagine a capacity crowd cheering on a match 100+ years ago.

04-10-2012, 07:57 PM

Took this on cup final day

ruthven_raiders
04-10-2012, 10:20 PM
With Hampden being unavailable where would be the best venue for the final? I would love it to be the Millenium stadium, any other suggestions?

GGTTH07
04-10-2012, 10:29 PM
With Hampden being unavailable where would be the best venue for the final? I would love it to be the Millenium stadium, any other suggestions?

Yeah, the Scottish cup final, in Wales...
Murrayfield, CP or ibrix it'll be.

04-10-2012, 10:32 PM
If Celtic are in the final. It will be at Hunbrox.

If it's Sevco in the final. It will be at Parkhead.

However if it's a Celtic-Sevco final. Where would it be played? :greengrin

04-10-2012, 10:33 PM
if it's 2 diddy teams, make it tyne............on the wear.

04-10-2012, 10:33 PM

Knowing the SFA they will probably award it to Ibrox for services to football.

04-10-2012, 10:34 PM

powderhall

04-10-2012, 10:36 PM
powderhallaye, it's oor destiny. :rolleyes:I said that last time I think, but maybe if we get tae the final:cb

04-10-2012, 10:37 PM
:agree:aye, it's oor destiny. :rolleyes:I said that last time I think, but maybe if we get tae the final:cb

the meadows

ruthven_raiders
04-10-2012, 10:38 PM
Only thought Wales because with our record maybe it would change our luck lol

04-10-2012, 10:39 PM
Newbattle Complex:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-Y3qsIGO5NFo/T6ZsUDQXAPI/AAAAAAAAABk/eatFiJVC7uw/s1600/Photo0087.jpg

04-10-2012, 10:49 PM
No doubt if we won it the Yams would make up some song about us not winning it at Hampden for however many years :duck:

04-10-2012, 10:55 PM
More than likely Celtic Park unless Celtic are in the final, in which case it'll be Ibrox. When it's the choice between an SPL or a (presumably) Second Division team, the SPL stadium will be the logical option.

04-10-2012, 11:06 PM

Cathkin Park?

04-10-2012, 11:47 PM
Newbattle Complex:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-Y3qsIGO5NFo/T6ZsUDQXAPI/AAAAAAAAABk/eatFiJVC7uw/s1600/Photo0087.jpg

But what if the lily get to the final?

04-10-2012, 11:49 PM
But what if the lily get to the final?

New Victoria Park in Newtongrange :wink:

CalgaryHibs
05-10-2012, 02:00 AM

Aye right!

05-10-2012, 04:54 AM
The National Stadium in Lagos.

05-10-2012, 06:09 AM
Why is hampden not available or is this a hypothetical thread?!

It's too early

05-10-2012, 06:17 AM
It's being converted into an athletics stadium for the Commonwealth Games in 2014.

TamHibs
05-10-2012, 06:18 AM
Why is hampden not available or is this a hypothetical thread?!

It's too early

Hampden will be unavailable from Nov 2013 due to a running track being installed for the commonwealth games

05-10-2012, 06:19 AM
It's being converted into an athletics stadium for the Commonwealth Games in 2014.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Thanks

05-10-2012, 06:29 AM
So am guessing Hampden is going to be even more a joke of a national stadium. The only good section at Hampden is the side stand and am guessing thats going to be miles away from the pitch aswell now. Is the capacity getting reduced or that?

05-10-2012, 06:47 AM
Just cancel the Scottish Cup that season. I could live without the anticipation, dreaming and eventual crushing disappointment it brings for a year.

TamHibs
05-10-2012, 07:01 AM
Just cancel the Scottish Cup that season. I could live without the anticipation, dreaming and eventual crushing disappointment it brings for a year.

05-10-2012, 07:22 AM
No doubt if we won it the Yams would make up some song about us not winning it at Hampden for however many years :duck:

Hibs have never won the SC at the present Hampden site. 1887 was at second Hampden (later Cathkin Park) and 1902 was at Celtic Park. Present ("third") Hampden didn't open until 1903.

05-10-2012, 07:24 AM
So am guessing Hampden is going to be even more a joke of a national stadium. The only good section at Hampden is the side stand and am guessing thats going to be miles away from the pitch aswell now. Is the capacity getting reduced or that?

The athletics conversion is only temporary. Although they could be missing a chance to improve sightlines (lowering the pitch?) by just reinstating the way it looks now.

05-10-2012, 08:10 AM
If its Celtic in the final v a diddy = Ibrox
Seveco v a diddy = Parkhead
Old firm final = Murrayfield

I say it should just be announced as Murrayfield. We have to traipse through to the Weedge for an all Edinburgh final, I could understand the reason as it should be at Hampden, but if its unavialble then it has to be the biggest neutral venue.

Murrayfield IMO.

05-10-2012, 08:23 AM
Murrayfield is the logical choice.

Firhill, it is.

05-10-2012, 08:43 AM

Took this on cup final day

The guy marking the lines had had a couple before he did that. :greengrin

05-10-2012, 09:00 AM
Well I'm sure they've played cup semis at Dens before, but I would hope not now, cos it's a ****hole.

05-10-2012, 09:00 AM
The logical choice has to be a football stadium and not the home of Scottish rugby surely?

Bill Milne
05-10-2012, 09:03 AM
Wherever it is, you can bet your last penny the SFA blazers will not allow it to be moved out of the Weedge.

05-10-2012, 09:17 AM
The logical choice has to be a football stadium and not the home of Scottish rugby surely?
Not when the alternatives are potentially home advantage for Celtc or playing it at a Third Division ground.

05-10-2012, 09:21 AM

Rugby stadium or not, cannot believe that anyone on here would want the biggot brothers laying waste to the streets of Auld Reekie under any circumstances.

Play it at Wembley or the Aviva in Dublin, thats probably where their hearts lie anyway........,

:sick:

05-10-2012, 09:41 AM
Wherever it is, you can bet your last penny the SFA blazers will not allow it to be moved out of the Weedge.

If it's an OF game, it should stay in the City of the Damned. Why should Edinburgh be suffer a visitation of the unwashed brain-dead?

05-10-2012, 11:17 AM

That would be money well spent IMO
No atmosphere and far from spectator friendly .
The old stadium was far from perfect but enjoyed the atmosphere .

05-10-2012, 11:23 AM
I went there before the final in May (prompted by one of Jonnyboy's posts). Pitch was there, complete with markings and goalposts, and although the side where the stand was is now just flat and grassed, there was terracing on three sides complete with stairways and whatever the barriers you lean on are called. Quite dilapidated with shrubbery and trees growing through, but sufficiently intact to be able to imagine a capacity crowd cheering on a match 100+ years ago.

Hey give me a break I played the odd game there sixty two years ago almost to the day !!!!!!:greengrin:wink:

05-10-2012, 11:42 AM
If it's an OF game, it should stay in the City of the Damned. Why should Edinburgh be suffer a visitation of the unwashed brain-dead?

Send them to Belfast to play it at Windsor Park.

It would be an unpleasant reminder for citizens of that fine city of what life was like in the 70s and 80s whilst allowing OF fans to indulge their patriotic fantasies.

05-10-2012, 12:59 PM
Good.

Absolutely hate the place.

When you see the kind of grounds that the likes of England and Wales have for a national stadium, it definitely puts Hampden to shame.

Horrible design and not big enough either.

It won't happen but I would like to see Hampden demolished and started again from scratch.

soproni1
05-10-2012, 01:52 PM
Newbattle Complex:

With the fence around the park and the new changing rooms under construction the complex will be better a better ground than the PBS in about 6 months!

Skanko79
05-10-2012, 01:53 PM
suppose its opinion really but hampden when full is one of the best stadiums ive been to and ive been to quite a few.

scotland v holland play off
scotland v england play off
hibs v killie cis cup final
hibs v rangers skol cup semi
hibs v dunfermline skol cup final
real v leverkuesen champs league final

could go on.....................

all excellent and noisy atmospheres.

05-10-2012, 02:11 PM
suppose its opinion really but hampden when full is one of the best stadiums ive been to and ive been to quite a few.

scotland v holland play off
scotland v england play off
hibs v killie cis cup final
hibs v rangers skol cup semi
hibs v dunfermline skol cup final
real v leverkuesen champs league final

could go on.....................

all excellent and noisy atmospheres.

I think in spite of not because of the ground. Think the design is appalling to be honest, sections behind the goals are miles from the pitch and the seats at pitch level are a joke. As has been said above when you look at Wembley, Millenium and Murrayfield, Hampden is shown up as very much second rate both in terms of the design and also the low capacity.

05-10-2012, 02:41 PM
I think in spite of not because of the ground. Think the design is appalling to be honest, sections behind the goals are miles from the pitch and the seats at pitch level are a joke. As has been said above when you look at Wembley, Millenium and Murrayfield, Hampden is shown up as very much second rate both in terms of the design and also the low capacity.

Can't argue against any of that
Reall do not like the place

Skanko79
05-10-2012, 02:48 PM

agree its not as easy on the eye as any of our neighbours, but what makes a good football match is the atmosphere inside the ground, and when full the atmosphere inside hampden is up there with the best in europe.

green glory
05-10-2012, 03:42 PM
As for the 'design', it's the same terracing as before, albeit cut down. Was fine when we were all standing, maybe not so when sitting so much.

IMO a complete rebuild is long overdue. Seating the old terracing should only ever have been a stop gap measure. The new main stand is fine but clear away the old terracing and build 3 steep stands close to the pitch. Safe standing areas like Borussia Dortmund's ground.

Wembley's cost was financed partly by £103m from the lottery commission. When Hampden was developed they provided £23m.

We should be looking for this deficit to help provide Scotland with a world class stadium. If they can do it for England?

21-05-2013, 04:18 PM
Am I right in saying that Sunday will be the last fixture involving club sides at Hampden till 2015?

Scotland play Croatia in September at Hampden in WCQ but in 2014 the stadium won't see any football action (Queens Park league games or Cup finals) due to the Commonwealth games stadium transformation.

http://www.glasgow2014.com/games/venues/hampden-park

21-05-2013, 04:35 PM
Where will the cup finals and Queens Park fixtures get played then?

hibs4thecup1988
21-05-2013, 04:37 PM
Finals I believe are cletic park or ibrox. Queens are ground sharing with partick(?). I think

21-05-2013, 04:42 PM
Finals I believe are cletic park or ibrox. Queens are ground sharing with partick(?). I think

I was hoping cup finals would be staged at Murrayfield.

hibs4thecup1988
21-05-2013, 04:48 PM
I was hoping cup finals would be staged at Murrayfield.

Too much common sense mate

G15 Hibs
21-05-2013, 05:56 PM
Queen's Park will be playing at Hampden until around November, then moving to Airdrie for 12 months.

21-05-2013, 07:13 PM
So we won the last game at tynie

Then the last final at hampden (for a while)

I can see a song in that

hibs4thecup1988
21-05-2013, 07:14 PM
Queen's Park will be playing at Hampden until around November, then moving to Airdrie for 12 months.

My bad! Did they request partick do you know?

G15 Hibs
21-05-2013, 07:21 PM
My bad! Did they request partick do you know?

The talk at first was about Firhill, but I think they ultimately went for Airdrie due to the all weather pitch. One of the Celtic youth teams (under 19s maybe?) Play at Firhill too, so Airdrie makes sense from that point of view.

Not exactly ideally located for QP fans though!

hibs4thecup1988
21-05-2013, 07:24 PM
Yeah I thought that. Thanks for confirming.

Btw people asking if its celtic rangers final...this happened the last time hampden was getting renovated and was played at Celtic park on the turn of a coin I believe? Rangers won it iirc?

21-05-2013, 07:30 PM
should close it for good, they made a right erse of redevelopments, if anything its worse than it was before, dump.

Lang Toun Hibs
21-05-2013, 07:43 PM

Two years in row? Don't be greedy now but I wouldn't say no to back to back Scottish Cup wins I guess!

21-05-2013, 07:53 PM
The national stadium should be in Edinburgh. aye, you've got a fair point there:rolleyes:

21-05-2013, 07:56 PM
Win it next year 2014 at Murrayfield with all the Hibs fans around Roseburn / Gorgie could make things interesting :greengrin

Deadco aren't getting to the final next year so could possibly see the final being at Ibrox.