PDA

View Full Version : NHC Extra Officials

thebakerboy
04-10-2012, 07:04 PM
Can any one explain the positioning of the extra behind the goals officials.In my logical thought having them on the same side as the Linesman at their end is a bit of a waste of time . Would it not be better (if they are needed at all) to have them on the other side of the park from the linesman at their end to give them a different view . Just watched Spurs and now going to watch Liverpool and noticed this and cannot fathom the thinking at all. Think Souness mentioned it during the Champions League a few weeks ago , but just came to me tonight. THOUGHTS ANYBODY to the back of the FF upper on Saturday at 3pm. or on here anytime.

Hibercelona
04-10-2012, 09:36 PM
I think the extra officials are a waste. Even the linesmen are a complete joke as they always allow themselves to be over ruled by a referee who isn't nearly in a good enough position to make the correct call.

Get rid of the daft officials behind the goal and bring in some bloody video replay. Or would that make it too difficult for them to cheat?

Eyrie
04-10-2012, 10:07 PM
They were on the opposite side to the linesman in the first season, but then got moved to the same side.

Doesn't matter which side they stand on, they do sod all anyway and I don't see the point to them.

CalgaryHibs
05-10-2012, 01:52 AM
[QUOTE=wee_hibee;3374272]I think the extra officials are a waste. Even the linesmen are a complete joke as they always allow themselves to be over ruled by a referee who isn't nearly in a good enough position to make the correct call.

Get rid of the daft officials behind the goal and bring in some bloody video replay. Or would that make it too difficult for them to cheat?[/QUOT

A waste ?? Come on mate! This will happen in every league world wide soon. This is the best move that FIFa that has done.( I ony wish fitbal Espana would allow this)

CalgaryHibs
05-10-2012, 01:58 AM
They were on the opposite side to the linesman in the first season, but then got moved to the same side.

Doesn't matter which side they stand on, they do sod all anyway and I don't see the point to them.

Reason they are there is to help the ref for goal line situations, which is a good thing.

GoldenEagle
05-10-2012, 05:57 AM
They are on the side next to the asst ref as it allows the referee to keep to his own normal 'diagonal' during the game.

100% disagree about being a waste of time, during he euro's how many shirt pulls or blocks during corners were there or wrong penalties were given compared to previous years? They are there to prevent situations arising as much as giving decisions but that's just not obvious enough for basic fitba fan.

They are obviously all talking to each other during the game as well.

GoldenEagle
05-10-2012, 06:01 AM
Another wee note for the comment that linesmen are a waste, again during the euro's 98% of all offsides were right. Another benefit of the additional asst is that the lino only needs to concentrate on offisides and nowt else.

Read the UEFA website or research other sites and make an informed choice rather than make random comments?

JimBHibees
05-10-2012, 09:33 AM
They are on the side next to the asst ref as it allows the referee to keep to his own normal 'diagonal' during the game.
100% disagree about being a waste of time, during he euro's how many shirt pulls or blocks during corners were there or wrong penalties were given compared to previous years? They are there to prevent situations arising as much as giving decisions but that's just not obvious enough for basic fitba fan.

They are obviously all talking to each other during the game as well.

What does that mean?

Would it not make sense for the extra guy to be on the other side of the goal as stated above so that both the linesman and the goal line official can have a view of both sides of the goal in 'is it a goal isnt it type situations'. In saying that the Ukraine England game showed that you can be as close as you want but if you dont actually use your eyes it doesnt matter. :greengrin

Caversham Green
05-10-2012, 09:45 AM
I think the extra officials are a waste. Even the linesmen are a complete joke as they always allow themselves to be over ruled by a referee who isn't nearly in a good enough position to make the correct call.

Get rid of the daft officials behind the goal and bring in some bloody video replay. Or would that make it too difficult for them to cheat?

Just on this point, the linesmen don't 'allow' themselves to be overruled, they have no choice. The referee makes all the decisions in a game, the linesmen are there to assist and advise him, but they can't make decisions themselves.

I believe part of the reason that FIFA are reluctant to introduce video evidence is that it undermines the referee's authority within the game by making decisions that should be his alone to make.

littleplum
05-10-2012, 09:49 AM
What does that mean?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diagonal_system_of_control

JimBHibees
05-10-2012, 09:56 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diagonal_system_of_control

Makes sense. Any chance of sending it to the SFA Refs dept :greengrin

Still dont think that covers appropriately why goal line officials couldn't be on the goal line further from Linesmen.

JimBHibees
05-10-2012, 09:59 AM
Just on this point, the linesmen don't 'allow' themselves to be overruled, they have no choice. The referee makes all the decisions in a game, the linesmen are there to assist and advise him, but they can't make decisions themselves.

I believe part of the reason that FIFA are reluctant to introduce video evidence is that it undermines the referee's authority within the game by making decisions that should be his alone to make.

I have no doubt that refs will tell linesmen to only give a decision when they are asked e.g if ref hasn't really seen it.

It is quite comical with throw in decisions with the linesman commonly waiting until the ref has decided which way it is going before he points his flag.

Caversham Green
05-10-2012, 10:09 AM
I have no doubt that refs will tell linesmen to only give a decision when they are asked e.g if ref hasn't really seen it.

It is quite comical with throw in decisions with the linesman commonly waiting until the ref has decided which way it is going before he points his flag.

:agree: It's the exact opposite of the way it should work. The ref should look to the linesman to tell him whether the ball has crossed the line and which way the linesman thinks the throw should go, but the final decision is always the referee's to make and if he disagrees with the linesman's decision then he has to 'overrule' him.

GoldenEagle
05-10-2012, 10:56 AM
:agree: It's the exact opposite of the way it should work. The ref should look to the linesman to tell him whether the ball has crossed the line and which way the linesman thinks the throw should go, but the final decision is always the referee's to make and if he disagrees with the linesman's decision then he has to 'overrule' him.

CH, so the ref who will be 20 yards inside the line tells the asst who is on the line if the ball is out of play?!

How about common sense and fans allow them 2 seconds to speak or signal to each other, they agree on the decison as a team and both signal the same way.

Danny_Hibee
05-10-2012, 11:56 AM

That is exactly what the linesmen are meant to do - if they are unsure of what way the throw in should be given it is up to the referee to make the decision. The linesman is then supposed to signal the direction of the throw as well as they are often the person looked to by fans and players alike to see what way it is given.

Not having a go at you mate but it is surprising the amount of people who have a go at officials without knowing the way they are asked to officiate and quite often without even knowing the rules!

JimBHibees
05-10-2012, 12:04 PM
That is exactly what the linesmen are meant to do - if they are unsure of what way the throw in should be given it is up to the referee to make the decision. The linesman is then supposed to signal the direction of the throw as well as they are often the person looked to by fans and players alike to see what way it is given.

Not having a go at you mate but it is surprising the amount of people who have a go at officials without knowing the way they are asked to officiate and quite often without even knowing the rules!

I dont think they are unsure in many cases though I think they just wait and see what the ref decides even if commonly the ref has a worse view.

Twa Cairpets
05-10-2012, 12:12 PM

Different referees will give different instructions to their linesmen teams on a match day, some will ask linesmem to give decisions immediately, others will say if youre not sure delay a second and I'll make the call.

What looks like indecision is what they've agreed to do, for the most part.

JimBHibees
05-10-2012, 12:18 PM
Different referees will give different instructions to their linesmen teams on a match day, some will ask linesmem to give decisions immediately, others will say if youre not sure delay a second and I'll make the call.

What looks like indecision is what they've agreed to do, for the most part.

I agree with that which was why I said they will do as their told which makes complete sense. Exaggerated delays dont look great though main thing is getting the right call.

Caversham Green
05-10-2012, 01:05 PM
CH, so the ref who will be 20 yards inside the line tells the asst who is on the line if the ball is out of play?!

How about common sense and fans allow them 2 seconds to speak or signal to each other, they agree on the decison as a team and both signal the same way.

No, the linesman indicates that the ball has crossed the line, but it is always the referee's decision about which way to award the throw - and, at least in theory, whether to award a throw or not since it's the referee who blows the whistle to stop play. In practice he will nearly always accept the linesman's indication that the ball has crossed the line because the linesman is a better position to make that call but the linesman's flag never actually stops play - only the referee can do that.

Hibercelona
05-10-2012, 09:50 PM

Yet, it doesn't seem to be an issue in Rugby.

Why should footballing referees have more authority over a game, than the likes of a Rugby referee?

If thats their excuse for not bringing video replay into football, then its a piss poor one.

Caversham Green
06-10-2012, 08:48 AM
Yet, it doesn't seem to be an issue in Rugby.

Why should footballing referees have more authority over a game, than the likes of a Rugby referee?

If thats their excuse for not bringing video replay into football, then its a piss poor one.

Rugby is a different game and one I don't know (or care) much about, but maybe Rugby's authorities simply take a different approach to their game and the referee's role within it. Personally I'm in two minds about whether video evidence would be a good or a bad thing, but I think I understand some of the reasons for the reluctance to introduce it.

Out of interest, what do you think the real reason for their reluctance is?

GoldenEagle
13-10-2012, 07:25 PM

Any further comments on additional assistants tonight?

Would Scotland have won last night 2-0 if we had one of these additional assistants on the goal line when Adam crossed for Fletcher?

Would an additional asst have had a better view on the dive from Ramsay or the Bale penalty