PDA

View Full Version : The Goal Keeper is the Hero

spike220
04-10-2012, 03:06 AM
I was just thinking after seeing Hart for City last night.

Can anyone think of any Hibs game where the Goal keeper has been the hero??

GGTTH

ChilliEater
04-10-2012, 05:38 AM
Pretty much every week in the mid 80's with Roughie in goal. Seemed to raise it to another level entirely at Ibrox.

cocopops1875
04-10-2012, 05:53 AM
Jim Leighton was amazing at times for us, but seem to recall a game for Scotland (against sweden I'm sure) where Jim and Colin Hendry were simply unbelievable

Sprouleflyer
04-10-2012, 05:57 AM
Jim Leighton was amazing at times for us, but seem to recall a game for Scotland (against sweden I'm sure) where Jim and Colin Hendry were simply unbelievable

:agree: Saving two penalties against Rangers in one game, Hibs went on to win the game 2-1.

KanyeWestLower
04-10-2012, 06:28 AM
:agree: Saving two penalties against Rangers in one game, Hibs went on to win the game 2-1.

Think that was his first ever penalty save in the professional game as well/

Hiber-nation
04-10-2012, 06:34 AM
Goram at tynie when we lost 3-1, think it was Torto that scored for us. Near end of 1990-91. Lost count of the number of saves, especially from Crabbe. Could have been a ridiculous score that day.

tam4hibs
04-10-2012, 06:40 AM
Something more recent:

Anderson in the semi final vs der hun in the penalty shoot out. Everyone remembers De Boers miss, but it was the save in the penalty before that (touched onto the bar iirc) that kept us in it.

Just_Jimmy
04-10-2012, 06:45 AM
And a save in normal time from mols?

The Sea-gull
04-10-2012, 07:21 AM
Will be interested to see if anyone else noticed but our keeper in the 0-3 Ivan Ibrox game was superb.

Can't remember if it was Zibi or Si Brown but they made some great saves that day otherwise it would have been over before Ivan came on.

Both were bombscare keepers but whoe ever was in that day was superb.

Fife-Hibee
04-10-2012, 07:27 AM
It was Brown, amazing save one of the best ive ever seen !!

bawheid
04-10-2012, 07:30 AM
Zibi was in goals for the Ivan 3-0; Brown was in goals for the Scottish Cup 3-0.

Easy to get the 3-0 victories at Ibrox mixed up. :wink:

1two
04-10-2012, 07:33 AM
Zibi was in goals for the Ivan 3-0; Brown was in goals for the Scottish Cup 3-0.

Easy to get the 3-0 victories at Ibrox mixed up. :wink:

Controversial opinion here but both keepers were capable of pulling off wonder saves

Of course both were also capable of throwing the ball into their own net

Simon brown in the O'Connor/shiels derby springs to mind

StevieC
04-10-2012, 07:34 AM
During the 80's/90's we had a number of keepers that were instrumental in preventing us from getting relegated. Hard to pinpoint individual games but without doubt Rough/Goram/Leighton almost single handedly kept us in the SPL.

wearethehibs
04-10-2012, 07:40 AM
Was there not a game at Tynie where the annoucer gave the MOTM to Goram? Sure someone told me about that. Was in a 0-0 draw I think.

bawheid
04-10-2012, 07:40 AM
Controversial opinion here but both keepers were capable of pulling off wonder saves

Of course both were also capable of throwing the ball into their own net

Simon brown in the O'Connor/shiels derby springs to mind

Malkowski had a decent game in the Ivan 0-3. Pretty sure a solid punch led to Brown marauding up the wing and laying on Ivan's third. Brown was probably better than Zibi. I don't recall ever coming away from a Hibs game thinking he had had a good game.

During the 80's/90's we had a number of keepers that were instrumental in preventing us from getting relegated. Hard to pinpoint individual games but without doubt Rough/Goram/Leighton almost single handedly kept us in the SPL.

Yep, no surprise we were relegated the year after Leighton left to go back to Aberdeen.

Skanko79
04-10-2012, 07:41 AM
budgies double save in the skol cup semi against the huns at hampden.

Hibbyradge
04-10-2012, 07:58 AM
Zibby, Brown and Maka were heroes most weeks for our opponents.

YehButNoBut
04-10-2012, 07:58 AM
Goram at tynie when we lost 3-1, think it was Torto that scored for us. Near end of 1990-91. Lost count of the number of saves, especially from Crabbe. Could have been a ridiculous score that day.

One of the best goalkeeping displays I've ever seen, they could easily have scored 6 or 7 that day if not for Goram, don't think Crabbe could ever score against him.

Even the Hearts fans applauded Goram off after the game.

lyonhibs
04-10-2012, 08:01 AM
Can you imagine how many posts a thread entitled "The Goalkeeper is the villain" would get!!

Simon Brown - the fat bassa that he was - touched a Boab Malcolm drive onto the bar in the 0-3 Scottish Cup edition. It looked in all the way.

spike220
04-10-2012, 08:04 AM

Yes I remeber and I was only a kid then!

Skanko79
04-10-2012, 08:09 AM

he also put the fear of god into mark hateley that night by winding him up before and during the game.

steakbake
04-10-2012, 08:16 AM
Anderson in the semi, for sure. I like the look of Ben Williams: reckon he's got the touch of goalie heroics about him (no pressure, Ben).

ronaldo7
04-10-2012, 08:33 AM
he also put the fear of god into mark hateley that night by winding him up before and during the game.

Oi Hateley, come into my box and break yer ***** back.:greengrin

Skanko79
04-10-2012, 08:42 AM
Oi Hateley, come into my box and break yer ***** back.:greengrin

thats the one :thumbsup:

GreenPJ
04-10-2012, 08:47 AM

:agree: Jim was absolutely outstanding that game closely followed by Darren Jackson. Game was held at Ibrox and John McGinley got the winner but Kennet Anderson would have had about 4 that game if it had not been for Jim.

Pretty Boy
04-10-2012, 08:54 AM
Think that was his first ever penalty save in the professional game as well/

Think he saved one in the SC semi final against Celtic from Andy W***ker a year or 2 before that. Game was played at Ibrox and we drew 0-0, lost the replay 3-1 and Collins scored a beauty for them.

Jim was outstanding for Hibs and that's all the more remarkable considering we plucked him from Dundee reserves and his career looked over. Something clicked at Hibs and he ended up adding another few dozen Scotland caps. We would have been relegated a couple of seasons before we were had it not been for Jim. A true professional into the bargain.

Stevie Reid
04-10-2012, 09:09 AM

Did he not just save the rebound after the first shot hit the post?

Still a great recovery and save.

G-Reg
04-10-2012, 09:20 AM

I'll never forget that game what a legend Jim is, I bumped into him after a game years ago and we had a chat (with his teeth in) seemed like a right down to earth man.

spike220
04-10-2012, 09:22 AM
Did he not just save the rebound after the first shot hit the post?

Still a great recovery and save.

Dont make me have to watchthe whole thing, just to figure this out!!!

Has any one got a clip of it?

spike220
04-10-2012, 09:23 AM

Come to think of it I think I only have it on VHS!

Steve-O
04-10-2012, 09:25 AM

First shot defo hit the post, he didn't save it.

Pretty Boy
04-10-2012, 09:30 AM
First shot defo hit the post, he didn't save it.

Yep.

Mo Johnstone hit the post, the ball bounced back to fat Sally and Budgie was up and across to save the rebound. Great save.

johncrobertson@
04-10-2012, 09:50 AM
Chris Reid at Tynecastle - think it was a 0-0 draw. We had 2 promising keepers then, the other being Jason Gardiner. Pity they didn't really get to be first team keepers.

YehButNoBut
04-10-2012, 09:53 AM

Hopefully on here somewhere, have not had the time to look through :greengrin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDGnitScu-E

Skanko79
04-10-2012, 09:53 AM
Chris Reid at Tynecastle - think it was a 0-0 draw. We had 2 promising keepers then, the other being Jason Gardiner. Pity they didn't really get to be first team keepers.

bit of topic but who was our keeper the day andy dow scored on his debut at tynie?

YehButNoBut
04-10-2012, 09:59 AM
Hopefully on here somewhere, have not had the time to look through :greengrin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDGnitScu-E

Budgie save round about 13:40 :thumbsup:

spike220
04-10-2012, 10:20 AM
Budgie save round about 13:40 :thumbsup:

Great recovery and save. On another note, I forgot how good Mickey Weir was, that guy was a real handful for rangers in that game.

Mon Dieu4
04-10-2012, 10:30 AM
the best goalkeeping hero I've seen wasn't a hero for us, if Neimi didn't pull off a few outstanding saves we would have got double figures in the 6-2 game!!

Stevie Reid
04-10-2012, 10:42 AM
Great recovery and save. On another note, I forgot how good Mickey Weir was, that guy was a real handful for rangers in that game.

:agree:

That idiot Jim Duffy let him go for free (when he was only 30), and he signed for Motherwell - when Rangers played Motherwell at Ibrox late in 1996-97 season, a Rangers win would confirm 9 in a row, and a Motherwell defeat would have effectively condemned them to the relegation play off place. Mickey Weir ran the show, Motherwell won 2-0 (the last time they won at Ibrox), and we ended up in the relegation play off against Airdrie.

Stevie Reid
04-10-2012, 10:43 AM
the best goalkeeping hero I've seen wasn't a hero for us, if Neimi didn't pull off a few outstanding saves we would have got double figures in the 6-2 game!!

Had to ask Mixu what the score actually was at the end of the game!

Pretty Boy
04-10-2012, 11:03 AM
bit of topic but who was our keeper the day andy dow scored on his debut at tynie?

Jim Leighton I'm sure.

He was an ever present in his time with us bar one game v Celtic when he was suspended having been sent off v Motherwell at Fir Park the week before.

sambajustice
04-10-2012, 11:51 AM
Oli Gottskalksson (sp) in the home to defeat to Stranraer, immense! If it wasnt for him keeping the score down it could have been like, 3-1!!

Skanko79
04-10-2012, 11:52 AM
Jim Leighton I'm sure.

He was an ever present in his time with us bar one game v Celtic when he was suspended having been sent off v Motherwell at Fir Park the week before.

cheers mate :thumbsup:

game was a cracker, sure it was 1-1.

brog
04-10-2012, 12:06 PM
When Hibs beat Hearts 4-3 at PBS in Scottish Cup & 17 year old Joe Baker scored all 4 goals, the MOTM award went to Hibs keeper Lawrie Leslie!! Honest! A few years later Hibs beat Airdrie 6-1 at ER, this time Joe put 4 past Lawrie & Lawrie was Airdrie MOTM!!

HibeeMassive
04-10-2012, 12:29 PM
Motherwell in the cup last season, when we won on penalties.

Mark Brown was immense that night, made several top-drawer saves during the 120 mins and penalties.

Pedantic_Hibee
04-10-2012, 12:34 PM
I seem to recall Jim Leighton being a penalty shoot out hero at a midweek cup tie at Firhill? Not entirely sure if it was Partick that we played, for some reason I've got Aberdeen v Hibs in my mind?

I could only have been about 8 or 9 so we're looking late 80s/early 90s?

Hibercelona
04-10-2012, 02:21 PM
It was Brown, amazing save one of the best ive ever seen !!

It was a shot by Bob Malcolm in the 3-0 Scottish Cup game at Greyskill. Brown nearly went over the crossbar with the ball!. :agree: :greengrin

"It was a decent save, but not a great one". :wink:

Skanko79
04-10-2012, 02:38 PM
I seem to recall Jim Leighton being a penalty shoot out hero at a midweek cup tie at Firhill? Not entirely sure if it was Partick that we played, for some reason I've got Aberdeen v Hibs in my mind?

think that was aberdeen mate, remember hibs putting on free buses,

EdinMike
04-10-2012, 02:51 PM
A thread about goalies ! Finally !

Budgie was the man who made me want to be a keeper during my playing days. Any save of his was was immense and therefore my Hero !

Hibercelona
04-10-2012, 03:33 PM
Williams to do this in the last minute at Tynecastle while we're 1-0 up? :dunno: :greengrin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkYmmV7Oa-U&feature=related

shetlandhibee
04-10-2012, 03:54 PM
I know he made tons of mistakes but makalamby at his best was one of the best shot stoppers I've ever seen

jane_says
04-10-2012, 04:24 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0pcQsAf8oM&feature=relmfu

8 minutes in :greengrin:greengrin:greengrin:greengrin:greengrin :greengrin:greengrin:greengrin

Skanko79
04-10-2012, 05:18 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0pcQsAf8oM&feature=relmfu

8 minutes in :greengrin:greengrin:greengrin:greengrin:greengrin :greengrin:greengrin:greengrin

guys a legend :thumbsup:

NOLA
04-10-2012, 05:32 PM
goram in too many games to remember

Scouse Hibee
04-10-2012, 06:30 PM
I know he made tons of mistakes but makalamby at his best was one of the best shot stoppers I've ever seen

Maka at his best or Maka at his worst, no difference IMO, one of the worst goalkeepers I've ever seen.

Eyrie
04-10-2012, 06:55 PM

Billy Findlay got the winner for us in the shoot-out against Partick Thistle in 1993. We went on to lose the final to Huns RIP at Parkhead (no idea if they were using EBTs back then).

hibsbollah
04-10-2012, 07:11 PM
It was a shot by Bob Malcolm in the 3-0 Scottish Cup game at Greyskill. Brown nearly went over the crossbar with the ball!. :agree: :greengrin

"It was a decent save, but not a great one". :wink:

I still maintain that Simon Brown save from Malcolm was one of the best I've ever seen. We were hanging on a bit first half, but then we turned it on. Ivan's best all round performance in a Hibs shirt IMO.

Pretty Boy
04-10-2012, 07:20 PM
I still maintain that Simon Brown save from Malcolm was one of the best I've ever seen. We were hanging on a bit first half, but then we turned it on. Ivan's best all round performance in a Hibs shirt IMO.

Was a fantastic save. Malcolm hit it first time as well so Brown had to readjust his feet and shift his, not inconsiderable, weight back on itself to make the save.

We had to make an early change as well, think Thomson went off, and Michael Stewart produced arguably his best performance in a Hibs top. To think we had the luxury of leaving Derek Riordan on the bench until 70 minutes in that day. Scott Brown played about 15 minutes with a broken leg as well!

Broken Gnome
04-10-2012, 07:28 PM
Was a fantastic save. Malcolm hit it first time as well so Brown had to readjust his feet and shift his, not inconsiderable, weight back on itself to make the save.

We had to make an early change as well, think Thomson went off, and Michael Stewart produced arguably his best performance in a Hibs top. To think we had the luxury of leaving Derek Riordan on the bench until 70 minutes in that day. Scott Brown played about 15 minutes with a broken leg as well!

Wish to God Garry O'Connor put a bit more power behind his shot late on. 4-0 would've been out of this world.

erin go bragh
04-10-2012, 07:31 PM
Best save ive ever seen was at tannadice in the 90s ,Gorum dived to his right ,ball took a deflection and how he got to his left and tipped it past the post ill never know.
Was right in front of the Hibs fans [we used to get the other end back then ]
Sure we beat them 2-1
ggtth

hibsbollah
04-10-2012, 07:34 PM

Ive never seen the save since the day itself (footage anyone?:greengrin)
It was just the ultimate away day. I've never left a stadium so high, even after the 6-2.

son of haggart
04-10-2012, 07:38 PM
One of the best goalkeeping displays I've ever seen, they could easily have scored 6 or 7 that day if not for Goram, don't think Crabbe could ever score against him.

Even the Hearts fans applauded Goram off after the game.

If I remember right we sang "there's only one Andy Goram" and "Goram for scotland" . He was incredible in that game.

We ha dCruikie in the 60s/ 70s then you had a succession of great keepers, then we had a succession of great keepers - maybe your turn again?

hibsbollah
04-10-2012, 07:52 PM
Best save I've seen at ER was Craig Gordon's from Rob Jones header that preserved a 2-2 draw for them. I have no idea how the spotty one reached it :dunno: Boruc from Wotherspoon deserves a mention too.

bingo70
04-10-2012, 07:59 PM
Jim Leighton used to make so many unbelievable saves i could never say what the best save i've ever seen was but i imagine it'll have come from him.

cocopops1875
04-10-2012, 08:17 PM
Best save I've seen at ER was Craig Gordon's from Rob Jones header that preserved a 2-2 draw for them. I have no idea how the spotty one reached it :dunno: Boruc from Wotherspoon deserves a mention too.

Probably the best save i have ever seen in "real life" from my angle it was going in all the way still cant believe he got something on it:agree:

HibbyAndy
04-10-2012, 08:26 PM

To this day i still cant believe he kept it out.

I was in the East that day ( Well ive never really been anywhere else TBH) And we all thought it was in..It was netbound all the way till Gordon somehow got a finger ( And i mean finger!!). too it..Gutted but absolute world class save.

Hibercelona
04-10-2012, 09:23 PM

Some twat on Sky Sports didn't seem to think it was that great though.

He even struggled to praise Hibs performance after the game.

Hibercelona
04-10-2012, 09:29 PM

I remember Craig Gordon pulled 3 of the best saves i've ever seen in the first 10 minutes at Tynecastle.

Hearts then ran up the field and stuck one past Zibi from their first chance of the game. I think they went on to win 4-1. :rolleyes:

Auckland Hibs
04-10-2012, 09:40 PM
cheers mate :thumbsup:

game was a cracker, sure it was 1-1.

The Motherwell 1-1 game at Fir Park - did Willie Miller replace Leighton after the red card? Pretty sure he played a blinder and they equalised pretty late on?

Auckland Hibs
04-10-2012, 09:45 PM

Early 90's we beat Partick (Wednesday Night Game) on Pens in the cup - great celebrations at the end.

I think we went on to play Aberdeen in the next round (replay on a Monday Night?) were we beat them on Pens with Kevin Harper scoring the winner which IIRC was a re-take?

MacBean
04-10-2012, 09:53 PM
Daniel Andersson v Rangers in CIS Cup semi at Hampden. Made a pen save in 90 mins then in the shoot as well as some top class saves throughout the match

Pretty Boy
05-10-2012, 07:08 AM
The Motherwell 1-1 game at Fir Park - did Willie Miller replace Leighton after the red card? Pretty sure he played a blinder and they equalised pretty late on?

Andy Millen went in goals. He played pretty well considering he wasn't a keeper.

Motherwell equalised with about 10 minutes to go. Think Jocky Scott was caretaker manager that day although could be wrong, a lot of Motherwell games from that period merge into a big blur.

brog
05-10-2012, 09:18 AM
If I remember right we sang "there's only one Andy Goram" and "Goram for scotland" . He was incredible in that game.

We ha dCruikie in the 60s/ 70s then you had a succession of great keepers, then we had a succession of great keepers - maybe your turn again?

Cruikie was a great keeper & a fine man. I remember the New Year game after the 0-7 ( sorry! ), Hibs were 3-0 up at h-t & it was Hibs vs Cruikie the whole second half. It finished 3-0 & could have been another 7 but for JC. Some of his saves, from Harper in particular were amazing. Another game Hibs won 2-1 at ER despite Cruikie saving 2 pens & Hearts scoring from a pen with their only shot on goal!!
Changed days!

delbert
06-10-2012, 07:45 AM
Cruikie was a great keeper & a fine man. I remember the New Year game after the 0-7 ( sorry! ), Hibs were 3-0 up at h-t & it was Hibs vs Cruikie the whole second half. It finished 3-0 & could have been another 7 but for JC. Some of his saves, from Harper in particular were amazing. Another game Hibs won 2-1 at ER despite Cruikie saving 2 pens & Hearts scoring from a pen with their only shot on goal!!
Changed days!

Going back a bit here, and certainly a keeper who divided opinion but I remember in the early 80's going up to Dens Park for a League Cup semi, amd Mike McDonald kept a really poor Hibs team in that game almost single handed with one of the best displays I've ever seen from a keeper. We took an absolute pounding that night from a team which was basically the team which beat Real Madrid but in 90 minutes they just could not get it past McDonald who was just immense, one save in particular stands out, and I think it was in the second half, or first half of extra time, right in front of Hibs fans behind the goal (we are at opposite end from Tannadice) Aberdeen broke clear down the left wing with Hibs claiming offside, Aberdeen had a 4 on one break, with only Jackie McNamara tracking back and obviously he had to go out to challenge the winger with the ball. Once Jackie came out the winger stuck in a cross to back post where one of the Aberdeen forwards bulleted a header back across goal. Unbelievably McDonald who was going across his goals twisted backwards full length and with his right hand flicked it over the bar, it was just an unbelievable save and I remember all 3 Aberdeen players just slumping to the ground when it went over for the corner kick, nobody could believe that save. I spoke to Jackie one year on holiday in Menorca and he remembered that one too, said it was one of the best saves he ever saw any keeper make. I guess it was just typical of Hibs that the winning goal was a total fluke and many actually blamed McDonald for it as a cross from Stuart Kennedy looped over his head and dropped in at the back post but I still say he had no chance, he was on his line where he should be and a cross which was meant for a forward simply dropped in right at the back post, as I say a total fluke and to my mind nothing McDonald could do, he actually collided with the post trying to save it and had a fair bit of treatment before continuing. Saw a few howling displays from McDonald as well, one 4-1 thumping from Motherwell at Fir Park stands out, but that night at Dens he certainly did not deserve to be on a losing side, unlike the majority of his team mates.