PDA

View Full Version : Fenlon's Message

Stevie Reid
03-10-2012, 08:34 AM
From the official site, more impressive words from our manager: -

http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/20121003/fenlons-message_2262950_2937117

Pat Fenlon has urged Hibernian supporters to turn out in force to back the team against Dundee at Easter Road on Saturday afternoon (6 October, kick off 3pm).

Click here for ticket info (http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/page/LatestTicketNews/0,,10290,00.html)

Fenlon said: "As a group, our collective attitude has changed and I think everyone can see that with the results from the opening two months of the season.

"But we won't pat ourselves on the back - nothing has been achieved just yet. The group are hungry to build on an encouraging start, but fully accept there is room for improvement.

"The group is still learning - as I've said a few times before, the development of the squad is still a work in progress - and we experienced a hiccup last weekend up at Aberdeen.

"But hopefully our supporters have recognised a difference in the work ethic, honesty and commitment shown by our group of players.

"The least I expect from any player in a Hibs shirt is total commitment and giving everything they can for the team. That's what our supporters deserve.

"From what I've seen, I believe that the supporters, who have come to our SPL matches this season will have noticed that.

"In the SPL this season, the margins are so fine that no team can afford to ever lose sight of the basics and we will focusing on preparing the right way for Saturday's match against Dundee.

"There has been a buzz around Easter Road this season and the group of players have fed off the positivity coming from the stands.

"Our supporters have been fantastic and we're still in the early stages of a journey that all together will hopefully bring continued success to the club.

"Stay with us and if you haven't been to a home game this season then please come along and be part of what's happening at Hibs."

Golden Bear
03-10-2012, 08:43 AM
From the official site, more impressive words from our manager: -

http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/20121003/fenlons-message_2262950_2937117

Pat Fenlon has urged Hibernian supporters to turn out in force to back the team against Dundee at Easter Road on Saturday afternoon (6 October, kick off 3pm).

Click here for ticket info (http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/page/LatestTicketNews/0,,10290,00.html)

Fenlon said: "As a group, our collective attitude has changed and I think everyone can see that with the results from the opening two months of the season.

"But we won't pat ourselves on the back - nothing has been achieved just yet. The group are hungry to build on an encouraging start, but fully accept there is room for improvement.

"The group is still learning - as I've said a few times before, the development of the squad is still a work in progress - and we experienced a hiccup last weekend up at Aberdeen.

"But hopefully our supporters have recognised a difference in the work ethic, honesty and commitment shown by our group of players.

"The least I expect from any player in a Hibs shirt is total commitment and giving everything they can for the team. That's what our supporters deserve.

"From what I've seen, I believe that the supporters, who have come to our SPL matches this season will have noticed that.

"In the SPL this season, the margins are so fine that no team can afford to ever lose sight of the basics and we will focusing on preparing the right way for Saturday's match against Dundee.

"There has been a buzz around Easter Road this season and the group of players have fed off the positivity coming from the stands.

"Our supporters have been fantastic and we're still in the early stages of a journey that all together will hopefully bring continued success to the club.

"Stay with us and if you haven't been to a home game this season then please come along and be part of what's happening at Hibs."

A good positive statement which also recognises that the team is still a long way from being the finished article.

Stevie Reid
03-10-2012, 08:45 AM
A good positive statement which also recognises that the team is still a long way from being the finished article.

:agree:

I just hope that people remember his words when we hit the inevitable sticky patch(es) this season. We are doing just fine, and this is the most optimistic that I've felt in a long time re: Hibs - looking forward to going to ER and being fully confident that we will compete in every game feels great after the last couple of years.

.Sean.
03-10-2012, 08:50 AM
I love Hibs again. Yas. Thanks Pat.

Lucius Apuleius
03-10-2012, 08:54 AM
I love Hibs again. Yas. Thanks Pat.

I have ALWAYS loved Hibs. :wink:

scoopyboy
03-10-2012, 09:00 AM
Good to hear but IIRC earlier this season he said he wouldn't be asking the fans to come back.

I'm glad he has though and I hope people do, it's the easiest way for Hibs to get money in to the club.

Hibs7
03-10-2012, 09:05 AM
This would have been the Rangers game and for that reason alone, I would hope there will be a big crowd.

VickMackie
03-10-2012, 09:06 AM
I'll be making my first game of the season on Saturday now that I'm now working Saturday nights.

rosco-hibee
03-10-2012, 09:45 AM
Getting people back through the turnstiles will be a slow process after the last couple of years which to be frank, have been dogsh*t.

However, we have a manager who is articulate, honest and transparent when talking about the Hibs team and what the fans can expect to see on the pitch. For that we should be grateful.

I like PF's managerial style, he's definitely created a positive atmosphere around the club and instilled a bit of passion on the park.

Onwards and upwards I say!!

:pfgwa

The Harp Awakes
03-10-2012, 11:15 AM
Have liked Fenlon from day 1. He says it the way it is and you get no bull**** from him unlike many football Managers. He's also passionate about the Club and has a determination to turn things around which I think we are beginning to see.

Ozyhibby
03-10-2012, 11:23 AM
Don't need fancy statements Pat. Sort out our leaky defence and the crowds will be back. Easy.

Stevie Reid
03-10-2012, 11:34 AM
Don't need fancy statements Pat. Sort out our leaky defence and the crowds will be back. Easy.

What's fancy about it, exactly? He has given a perfectly accurate appraisal of where we are whilst giving grounds for optimism, and is trying to encourage supporters back to ER.

And he is sorting out the defence, by the same stage last season we had conceded 15 goals and had only 6 points, this year we have conceded 3 goals less and have twice as many points.

It's also worth noting that he held his hands up and admitted that playing Stephens at CH was a huge mistake at Tannadice, and since Hanlon and McPake have been the partnership at the back, it's 9 goals in 7 games that we have conceded.

Golden Bear
03-10-2012, 11:36 AM

I'm not sure that is the greatest concern.

I'll use the word "creativity" -------------- or lack of creativity in our case. It's something that needs addressing urgently.

LeighLoyal
03-10-2012, 11:38 AM
This would have been the Rangers game and for that reason alone, I would hope there will be a big crowd.

Good point. I'd forgotten Club 12 have Sevco's share. Might have to show up now despite the gash on Sunday.

Lucius Apuleius
03-10-2012, 11:45 AM
Good point. I'd forgotten Club 12 have Sevco's share. Might have to show up now despite the gash on Sunday.

Don't put yourself out now. What gash on Sunday you talking about?

IWasThere2016
03-10-2012, 11:46 AM

Aye - a pat on the back aint that far from a kick up the arse! :cb

Godsahibby
03-10-2012, 11:55 AM
That is my ticket purchased, time for me to return to ER. Was a season ticket holder last year but haven't been to a game since walking out of the game against Motherwell last October.

frazeHFC
03-10-2012, 12:10 PM
I can't wait for Saturday! :thumbsup:

#FromTheCapital
03-10-2012, 12:16 PM
Will be paying at the gate on sat, 2nd trip to easter rd this season. Was at the killie game although I had a free ticket for that. Hopefully get a decent crowd, from what I've seen so far this season the difference is night and day from last season. Onwards and upwards GGTTH!:flag:

JimBHibees
03-10-2012, 12:17 PM

One step at a time. He isnt stupid he is improving the team gradually but also knows more fans in will mean more spend for him in January. To me he is doing a decent job however as he says we are nowhere near the finished article. To be honest all I was looking for this season was a bit of backbone and fight in the team allied to steady improvement I am seeing that and hope other Hibs fans also do and attend home games more regularly.

Ozyhibby
03-10-2012, 12:20 PM
I'm not sure that is the greatest concern.

I'll use the word "creativity" -------------- or lack of creativity in our case. It's something that needs addressing urgently.

We are among the top 4 teams in the league for scoring goals but among the bottom 4 for conceding goals.
We are losing 1.5 goals a game which puts a lot of pressure on the forwards knowing they have to score at least 2 goals to win the game.
Creatively, we may not be Barca but we are doing ok within this league. Just need to shut the back door.

Johnny Clash
03-10-2012, 12:59 PM
Great statement.

Some managers have been passionate about our club (Sauzee for one) but tragically things never worked out. Hopefully Pat will become a Hibs legend alongside James McPake who clearly gets what Hibs are all about and that no other team has such a proud history than Hibernian.... from 1875 onwards

I'm traveling up from London for the game and hopefully we will see a few thousand disillusioned supporters back at ER coz there's no point standing in the boozer moaning about how hard it is being a Hibee when you don't support yer team at such a crucial time in our development. It's great turning out for semis and cup finals or when we are eventually winning regularly and stuffing the jambos but NOW is the time we need the backing!

RIP
03-10-2012, 02:44 PM

This!!

Who can forget these 2 statements?

18 March 2012
http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/football/pat-fenlon-warns-hearts-that-hibs-wont-be-bullied-any-more.17055776
A steely-eyed Pat Fenlon was yesterday unyielding in his insistence that the days of Hearts bullying Hibernian are very much in the past."The one thing we won't be is bullied. We won't be a soft touch for anybody, and that goes across the board. That won't happen as long as I'm here. We've brought in better players and the team is much changed from the one back then."
Result - Hearts win 2-0 with 63% of possession

Not content with embarassing himself that day he repeated the claim before the Cup Final

16 May 2012
http://sport.stv.tv/football/clubs/hibernian/100154-pat-fenlon-vows-hibernian-wont-be-bullied-by-hearts-in-scottish-cup-final/
“We've got some really good players at the club. The boys that have come in on loan have given us a lift. As long as I am the manager, we won't be bullied by anybody. I think that's happened too many times with Hibs in Hearts games.”
Result :fuming:

So yes Pat, like you I hope that more fans do show up on Saturday. You just make sure our players do

.Sean.
03-10-2012, 02:55 PM
I'm absolutely buzzing for Saturday. Far cry from last year and what we endured under CC, when I left early for the pub several times and even dozed off on a few occassions.

JimBHibees
03-10-2012, 03:17 PM
I'm absolutely buzzing for Saturday. Far cry from last year and what we endured under CC, when I left early for the pub several times and even dozed off on a few occassions.

Your not wrong think we were playing St Johnstone in honestly the worst game I have ever seen and I was more interested finding out how Andy Murray was getting on via mobile.

As has been said we are not the finished article however there is an honest endeavour about the team that wasnt there last year.

Hamish
03-10-2012, 03:23 PM
I've succumbed to the Reconnect message on the offishul site and purchased a ticket for Saturday. First game for quite a while.

Don't really know if I am looking forward to it or not:greengrin

Lucius Apuleius
03-10-2012, 03:56 PM
This!!

18 March 2012
http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/football/pat-fenlon-warns-hearts-that-hibs-wont-be-bullied-any-more.17055776
A steely-eyed Pat Fenlon was yesterday unyielding in his insistence that the days of Hearts bullying Hibernian are very much in the past."The one thing we won't be is bullied. We won't be a soft touch for anybody, and that goes across the board. That won't happen as long as I'm here. We've brought in better players and the team is much changed from the one back then."

Not content with embarassing himself that day he repeated the claim before the Cup Final

16 May 2012
http://sport.stv.tv/football/clubs/hibernian/100154-pat-fenlon-vows-hibernian-wont-be-bullied-by-hearts-in-scottish-cup-final/
“We've got some really good players at the club. The boys that have come in on loan have given us a lift. As long as I am the manager, we won't be bullied by anybody. I think that's happened too many times with Hibs in Hearts games.”

So yes Pat, like you I hope that more fans do show up on Saturday. You just make sure our players do

So we still need to dig up last season? Sad IMO.

Craig_in_Prague
03-10-2012, 04:04 PM
the terrible display on the TV last week wouldnt have helped get fans back.

Golden Bear
03-10-2012, 04:11 PM

In recent years almost very time Hibs have appeared on live TV then the performances can only be described as dismal.

Ban the box I say!

:greengrin

FitbaFolkKen
03-10-2012, 04:39 PM
This!!

18 March 2012

16 May 2012

How long have you had those quotes favourited for? Any excuse, the team this season has clearly been different in mentality that last years. Don't let the ruin a good witch hunt though.

marinello59
03-10-2012, 04:42 PM
This!!

18 March 2012

16 May 2012

Oh we'll, I suppose a few posts before this thread stopped being a feel good thread is better than nothing.

Greendub
03-10-2012, 06:25 PM

I don't actually think we played too badly overall, silly defensive mistakes.

I've been to more games this season that I have in many many years.

I believe pat is the right man!

LeighLoyal
03-10-2012, 06:49 PM
I don't actually think we played too badly overall, silly defensive mistakes.

I've been to more games this season that I have in many many years.

I believe pat is the right man!

I believe he is the right man also. I was hoping we could really push on but the last two results have brought on a dose of reality. Celtic are going to pi sh the league because the rest, us included, are just too inconsistent. I actually hope the Yams get something at Parkhead.

down-the-slope
03-10-2012, 07:58 PM
Will be paying at the gate on sat, 2nd trip to easter rd this season. Was at the killie game although I had a free ticket for that. Hopefully get a decent crowd, from what I've seen so far this season the difference is night and day from last season. Onwards and upwards GGTTH!:flag:

No PATG anymore its PATP now :devil:

Captain Trips
04-10-2012, 08:26 AM
This!!

18 March 2012

16 May 2012

I would say what do you expect him to say? I wouldnt give him stick for making positive statements that do not turn out to happen as talking is easy.

The latest statement is what I would expect anyone to say in the job but these are the reasons why I generally do not bother with what is said and go with what is done. My only issue is I do not think after almost 1yr we should be "still in the early stages of a journey" I think it should be well into that by now and in January he should have it all in place. What CC left is no excuse months and months on, teams have been in far worse states and risen quickly and if PF is right there is no excuse why we cannot be same.

flash
04-10-2012, 08:36 AM
This!!

18 March 2012

16 May 2012

Only one person who should be embarrassed and it ain't Fenlon.

JimBHibees
04-10-2012, 08:38 AM
This!!

18 March 2012

16 May 2012

Jeezo and your meant to be one of the group urging fans to get behind the team more.

Captain Trips
04-10-2012, 08:51 AM
Part of managers job is to be positive so that is what I would expect him to say so therefore it will be easy to batter him and every manager in world over head with their comments as all managers lose games they were positive about.

I am quite Sure Sir Alex was positive about how Man Utd would do in winning last years title but that failed. In my experience I generally ignore what is said and comment on what is done in most cases and I only ever read a managers remarks on here.

Pat will be a success or fail on the pitch not in print, and from what I have read he talks a better game than plays it hence why I will stick to what he does.

Stevie Reid
04-10-2012, 08:53 AM

I've read a few such comments about last week's game and I can only presume that people who think that we were terrible do not have the context of having seen just how dismal we have been for 99% of the last 2 years, or how bad Tannadice was on the opening day.

Yes, we put in our poorest performance in a few weeks, and yes we deserved to get beat, but there was still more about us in that defeat than there has been since things started to turn under Yogi - we have a spirit and fight about us, and players who do not hide even when playing poorly. We didn't play well but still dug in and managed to create numerous chances, and came within a baw hair of nicking a point.

I saw enough about us to still be encouraged, it's hugely disappointing to read just how many people are hammering the team for the performance - I had hoped that the better performances of recent weeks may cut us some slack when the poorer ones came (which, let's face it, they always will) but that doesn't seem to be the case with many, sadly.

Stevie Reid
04-10-2012, 08:56 AM
This!!

18 March 2012

16 May 2012

Jeezo and your meant to be one of the group urging fans to get behind the team more.

Really perplexed by that post as well.

"Who can forget these two statements?" Well I had forgotten them, and was glad to - what a really unwelcome reminder.

JimBHibees
04-10-2012, 08:59 AM

Really perplexed by that post as well.

"Who can forget these two statements?" Well I had forgotten them, and was glad to - what a really unwelcome reminder.

He obviously should have said, we have no chance the other team are much better than us, fans don't bother turning up you are wasting your time, spend your money in the pub instead. :confused::greengrin

JimBHibees
04-10-2012, 09:01 AM
I've read a few such comments about last week's game and I can only presume that people who think that we were terrible do not have the context of having seen just how dismal we have been for 99% of the last 2 years, or how bad Tannadice was on the opening day.

Yes, we put in our poorest performance in a few weeks, and yes we deserved to get beat, but there was still more about us in that defeat than there has been since things started to turn under Yogi - we have a spirit and fight about us, and players who do not hide even when playing poorly. We didn't play well but still dug in and managed to create numerous chances, and came within a baw hair of nicking a point.

I saw enough about us to still be encouraged, it's hugely disappointing to read just how many people are hammering the team for the performance - I had hoped that the better performances of recent weeks may cut us some slack when the poorer ones came (which, let's face it, they always will) but that doesn't seem to be the case with many, sadly.

Completely agree. That sums up my view it wasnt great there are areas of weakness however we do have a spirit about us now and were the team pushing for an equaliser in the last 10 mins.

Stevie Reid
04-10-2012, 09:03 AM
He obviously should have said, we have no chance the other team are much better than us, fans don't bother turning up you are wasting your time, spend your money in the pub instead. :confused::greengrin

HH81
04-10-2012, 09:06 AM
Really hope for a decent crowd, I would be there if I had more cash to cover my petrol from Halifax. Mon hibs.

Greendub
04-10-2012, 09:24 AM
Have we not been pulling in the 2nd biggest home crowds this season?

HibeeN
04-10-2012, 09:44 AM
Have we not been pulling in the 2nd biggest home crowds this season?

According to the SPL website, 3rd biggest on average:

Celtic

Hearts

Hibernian

Aberdeen

Last season:

Celtic

Rangers

Hearts

Hibernian

Aberdeen

07/08 was the last season where our average home crowd was over 14,000. But at least we're going in the right direction!

Hibs7
04-10-2012, 10:34 AM
According to the SPL website, 3rd biggest on average:

Celtic

Hearts

Hibernian

Aberdeen

Last season:

Celtic

Rangers

Hearts

Hibernian

Aberdeen

07/08 was the last season where our average home crowd was over 14,000. But at least we're going in the right direction!

Interesting Celtic and (hhhgggttthh spit) Hearts are down on last season and Hibs and Abersheep are up. :thumbsup:

JimBHibees
04-10-2012, 10:51 AM
Interesting Celtic and (hhhgggttthh spit) Hearts are down on last season and Hibs and Abersheep are up. :thumbsup:

Very misleading though Hibs have had Hearts at home while Hearts have still to have a derby. Derby at New year will be a cert sell out while we played them at home at the worst time 2nd game into the season on the back of that final so the crowd was well down on what it might have been say if we were playing them this weekend.

spike220
04-10-2012, 10:54 AM
This!!

18 March 2012

16 May 2012

Away with you, you wee numpty, what was he supposed to say!!!! - I think they will put 5 on us!

Pedantic_Hibee
04-10-2012, 11:19 AM
This!!

18 March 2012

16 May 2012

Are you on glue?

Gatecrasher
04-10-2012, 11:20 AM
We are booked in to Hospitality for my Dad's birthday so buzzing for the game this week :thumbsup:

Beefster
04-10-2012, 11:24 AM

I think that Gogs is getting unfairly slated here. He's not the first person to say that the manager/players should do their talking on the pitch/bench and won't be the last.

Captain Trips
04-10-2012, 11:45 AM
I think that Gogs is getting unfairly slated here. He's not the first person to say that the manager/players should do their talking on the pitch/bench and won't be the last.

100% players and managers should do talking on pitch but we must remember they have to talk from time to time especially the manager and what PF said is exactly what I expect to be said, All our managers have said one thing and another has happened and that will continue this is why PF isnt any better a manager for his comments IMO, I judge him only on what I see over 90mins I will only really take notice of what they say if it is way out of kilter.

PF in the main has conducted any interviews I have read in the coreect manner I would expect him to do I cannot fault that, I can and will fault his results as that is all that matters. I think having a go at PF for saying we will do well and it not happening is unfair to a point as he has to be postive.

Judge him on what he does, I certainly do and will continue to, and at this moment I am meh!

spike220
04-10-2012, 11:59 AM
We are booked in to Hospitality for my Dad's birthday so buzzing for the game this week :thumbsup:

You will have a great time!!! - Hope we get a good result for you both.

JimBHibees
04-10-2012, 12:04 PM

All PF said in his latest statement was an encouragement for more fans to come along and that he thinks the spirit is better although not the finished article to bring up 2 statements from last season prior to derby defeats seems to me to be irrelevant and crass.

Captain Trips
04-10-2012, 02:31 PM
All PF said in his latest statement was an encouragement for more fans to come along and that he thinks the spirit is better although not the finished article to bring up 2 statements from last season prior to derby defeats seems to me to be irrelevant and crass.

I would say no point in bringing them up but does show that really what counts is on park and not what manager says.

Craig_in_Prague
04-10-2012, 03:19 PM

calm down sweety.
I was not hammering the team and I am also satisfied with how the team are working harder and progress has been made.
However my point was those that haven't been to ER for quite a while may have switched on for that game and been a bit unimpressed. IMO we were terrible for a large % of the game.

Gatecrasher
04-10-2012, 03:55 PM
You will have a great time!!! - Hope we get a good result for you both.
Thanks, We are looking forward to it :aok:

RIP
04-10-2012, 04:02 PM
Oh we'll, I suppose a few posts before this thread stopped being a feel good thread is better than nothing.

Aye - it sounded like I was a right misearble B :greengrin I actually feel pretty good about the way the football club and Pat are going about their business at the moment. Incremental building is the way forward and it looks like across the organisation we are finally addressing the nightclub culture that existed during the noughties. I'm particularly pleased that despite our woeful financial position, management supported Pat with nine?? signings during the summer.

The reason for my apparently miserable post is that for years Hibs (Board, management, coaches) have been really good at rhetoric whilst delivering really crap results. Too many false dawns being announced - remember the 6 signings Calderwood made in January. "Hurrah - we've turned a corner" and then 2 months later "Oh no we haven't". We need a sustained improvement in fitness, workrate and commitment after the past 2 seasons.

I couldn't go to Pittodrie but my kids went with their uncle and they said the most disappointing aspect of the game was being second to every ball for long periods; posession 80/20 Aberdeen at some points; low workrate by some and with one or two exceptions (Maybury!!) backing off instead of putting in a tackle. Bolted on to the capitulation against Inverness where they stepped up a gear and we didn't, we still show a lack of fight in too many individuals. Only a handball by McPake and a wonder strike from Doyle saved us from a bigger humiliation. 1-2 was flattering. The only positive thing was Pat changing it up in the second half and a late flurry.

We need to see an improvement in attitude and application against Dundee. If we get out-fought by a hungrier team yet again, I'll probably just stop listening to anything a Hibs manager says ever again. Nevertheless, as I've been doing since 1961, I will be there on Saturday standing and singing my lungs out supporting the boys in green :pfgwa

Ozyhibby
04-10-2012, 04:21 PM
I keep hearing how we are no longer a soft touch but everything about the 4 goals we lost in the last two games suggests we are exactly that.
Defenders getting out muscled by smaller forwards, backing of players allowing them to turn in the box and standing watching while the opposition pounce on rebounds.
Soft, soft, soft.
All this work in progress nonsense is exactly that, nonsense. 9 of the starting lineup on sat were signed by Pat Fenlon. This is his team.
Result have improved on last year but let's face it, Jim Duffy could have improved on last year. (Ok, went a bit far there).
Fact is we have at least the third biggest budget for players in the league. Anything lower than third and the manager is underperforming.

RIP
04-10-2012, 04:43 PM
Are you on glue?

Naw - just being pedantic :wink:

Stevie Reid
04-10-2012, 05:20 PM
calm down sweety.
I was not hammering the team and I am also satisfied with how the team are working harder and progress has been made.
However my point was those that haven't been to ER for quite a while may have switched on for that game and been a bit unimpressed. IMO we were terrible for a large % of the game.

Your attempt at a condescending opening line may have been amusing had I delivered a rant instead of a measured comment. Never mind.

I didn't think we were anywhere near terrible, though we were very poor in parts - we did look dangerous at the other end of the park when we got there though, and very nearly nicked a point. We were outplayed by an emerging Aberdeen side at Pittodrie, and got the result we deserved, which we didn't get the previous week - it's just a shame that we deserved to get beat against the Dons.

May I apologise in advance for flying off the handle again.

Pedantic_Hibee
04-10-2012, 05:33 PM
Naw - just being pedantic :wink:

FitbaFolkKen
04-10-2012, 07:07 PM
I keep hearing how we are no longer a soft touch but everything about the 4 goals we lost in the last two games suggests we are exactly that.
Defenders getting out muscled by smaller forwards, backing of players allowing them to turn in the box and standing watching while the opposition pounce on rebounds.
Soft, soft, soft.
All this work in progress nonsense is exactly that, nonsense. 9 of the starting lineup on sat were signed by Pat Fenlon. This is his team.
Result have improved on last year but let's face it, Jim Duffy could have improved on last year. (Ok, went a bit far there).
Fact is we have at least the third biggest budget for players in the league. Anything lower than third and the manager is underperforming.

I have never read anything but criticism from you for Fenlon, you expect Hibs to jump from almost being relegated to 3rd in the league. No credit given for improving the team on last year as it was so garbage, it is precisely that reason that Pat deserves credit as we were so terrible. A weaker man might have walked as surely he realises he made some mistakes last year. Totally unreasonable to expect a club with 5 years of rubbish to turn it round just like that. I'm not privvy to the difference in budgets but surely DU and Aberdeen must be similar to us? I expect top 6 and would be delighted with top 3 to be honest.

FitbaFolkKen
04-10-2012, 07:10 PM
Aye - it sounded like I was a right misearble B :greengrin I actually feel pretty good about the way the football club and Pat are going about their business at the moment. Incremental building is the way forward and it looks like across the organisation we are finally addressing the nightclub culture that existed during the noughties. I'm particularly pleased that despite our woeful financial position, management supported Pat with nine?? signings during the summer.

The reason for my apparently miserable post is that for years Hibs (Board, management, coaches) have been really good at rhetoric whilst delivering really crap results. Too many false dawns being announced - remember the 6 signings Calderwood made in January. "Hurrah - we've turned a corner" and then 2 months later "Oh no we haven't". We need a sustained improvement in fitness, workrate and commitment after the past 2 seasons.

I couldn't go to Pittodrie but my kids went with their uncle and they said the most disappointing aspect of the game was being second to every ball for long periods; posession 80/20 Aberdeen at some points; low workrate by some and with one or two exceptions (Maybury!!) backing off instead of putting in a tackle. Bolted on to the capitulation against Inverness where they stepped up a gear and we didn't, we still show a lack of fight in too many individuals. Only a handball by McPake and a wonder strike from Doyle saved us from a bigger humiliation. 1-2 was flattering. The only positive thing was Pat changing it up in the second half and a late flurry.

We need to see an improvement in attitude and application against Dundee. If we get out-fought by a hungrier team yet again, I'll probably just stop listening to anything a Hibs manager says ever again. Nevertheless, as I've been doing since 1961, I will be there on Saturday standing and singing my lungs out supporting the boys in green :pfgwa

You will get the same stuff from any football manager, this isn't a Hibs specific thing. I like that Pat generally tells us what he is trying to do and it is interesting to watch it develop. Like anything there will be setbacks though, however I believe Pat is genuine when he talks, whereas some of our previous managers talked with generic phrases with no real direction for the football club.

Thecat23
04-10-2012, 07:11 PM
I have never read anything but criticism from you for Fenlon, you expect Hibs to jump from almost being relegated to 3rd in the league. No credit given for improving the team on last year as it was so garbage, it is precisely that reason that Pat deserves credit as we were so terrible. A weaker man might have walked as surely he realises he made some mistakes last year. Totally unreasonable to expect a club with 5 years of rubbish to turn it round just like that. I'm not privvy to the difference in budgets but surely DU and Aberdeen must be similar to us? I expect top 6 and would be delighted with top 3 to be honest.

Exactly this.. Well said!

HibbyAndy
04-10-2012, 08:02 PM
I think we really need a win on Saturday or we could find ourselves from taking top spot in recent weeks to potentially bottom 6 its that tight a league.

What i will state tho is we are light years away from last year and im right behind PF and his plan, Unfortunately there are some on here IF we get beat or draw with Dundee that will jump clean on the GTF Fenlon bandwagon.

We lost at Aberdeen aye, But lets get right behind the boys and Fenlon and roar us to victory v Dundee...This is the Sevco game guys...Please turn up in numbers and play your part!..What's the alternative?..Say we are pish and Fenlon is crap?..That wont help us one jot.

Hibs till i die.

Brooster
04-10-2012, 08:32 PM
C'mon folks let's get along to Easter Road on Saturday and cheer the boys on to victory. Crowds are creeping up, the atmosphere is good and the team are giving 100%. C'mon Hibs let's do it.

FranckSuzy
04-10-2012, 09:16 PM
C'mon folks let's get along to Easter Road on Saturday and cheer the boys on to victory. Crowds are creeping up, the atmosphere is good and the team are giving 100%. C'mon Hibs let's do it.

:agree: Great pic on the fishy site encouraging fans too 8715

mikethehibee69
04-10-2012, 10:52 PM
The Rangers!!!! Actually :wink:

Ozyhibby
04-10-2012, 11:59 PM

7 of the players starting on sat were signed during the summer. If they are only good enough to get us half way up the league as you are suggesting then why are paying out the third highest wage bill? This is a new team. It's an improvement on last year but I think it is still under-performing based on our salary costs.
As for the anti Pat Fenlon stuff, I don't care. I have never met him. I have no reason to dislike him. I'm only commenting on what I see in the team. We are still weak at the back almost a year after he arrived. We had lost 120 goals in the Previous two years before he arrived. I assumed that would be a priority for any new manager. Obviously I was wrong. Our defence has not improved on that. when it does I'll cut Pat Fenlon some slack. I'm sure he is a really nice guy.

Lucius Apuleius
05-10-2012, 05:09 AM
7 of the players starting on sat were signed during the summer. If they are only good enough to get us half way up the league as you are suggesting then why are paying out the third highest wage bill? This is a new team. It's an improvement on last year but I think it is still under-performing based on our salary costs.
As for the anti Pat Fenlon stuff, I don't care. I have never met him. I have no reason to dislike him. I'm only commenting on what I see in the team. We are still weak at the back almost a year after he arrived. We had lost 120 goals in the Previous two years before he arrived. I assumed that would be a priority for any new manager. Obviously I was wrong. Our defence has not improved on that. when it does I'll cut Pat Fenlon some slack. I'm sure he is a really nice guy.

You reckon the defence is no better this season? How many goals did we lose in the last 8 games of last season compared to the first 8 of this season?

Borderhibbie76
05-10-2012, 05:50 AM
Cant believe some of thecriticism from certain individuals on here. We lost to the better team last sat...it happens! We drew the previous week when we deserved to win! But those who think we havent shown significant improvement from last season or indeed the 2 seasons previous clearly werent at some of the games I sat thru! There is a fight and spirit about our team thats been lacking since about 2007!

Top 6 this season and dare I say a good Scottish cup run will do me fine!

I think some forget just how bad the last 2 seasons were fighting relegation and only saved by poor dunferline and hamilton sides!!!

Gatecrasher
05-10-2012, 06:27 AM
Cant believe some of thecriticism from certain individuals on here. We lost to the better team last sat...it happens! We drew the previous week when we deserved to win! But those who think we havent shown significant improvement from last season or indeed the 2 seasons previous clearly werent at some of the games I sat thru! There is a fight and spirit about our team thats been lacking since about 2007!

Top 6 this season and dare I say a good Scottish cup run will do me fine!

I think some forget just how bad the last 2 seasons were fighting relegation and only saved by poor dunferline and hamilton sides!!!

JimBHibees
05-10-2012, 08:46 AM
I think we really need a win on Saturday or we could find ourselves from taking top spot in recent weeks to potentially bottom 6 its that tight a league.

What i will state tho is we are light years away from last year and im right behind PF and his plan, Unfortunately there are some on here IF we get beat or draw with Dundee that will jump clean on the GTF Fenlon bandwagon.

We lost at Aberdeen aye, But lets get right behind the boys and Fenlon and roar us to victory v Dundee...This is the Sevco game guys...Please turn up in numbers and play your part!..What's the alternative?..Say we are pish and Fenlon is crap?..That wont help us one jot.

Hibs till i die.

Great post that attitude is exactly what the fans need to show and the players need to hear tomorrow.

JimBHibees
05-10-2012, 09:08 AM

I think you are at it, you wanted PF sacked after the first game of the season and was conspicuous by your absence when we were winning we lose one game out of 6 in the league and you jump in with both feet with glee. The team is developing bringing in new players takes time however even in the first few games of the season we have been winning games with more fight and ability shown. They need patience and support at the moment howwever to me they have shown enough to get that. If you read PF's statement he admits were are far from perfect and the finished article if there is such a thing.

Your comment that the defence hasnt improved is nonsense IMO and personally think you are clutching at straws to try and justify your previous opinion that PF is a dud when the evidence is starting to show the opposite.

FitbaFolkKen
05-10-2012, 08:36 PM

I think you are at the wind up and are being selective in what you use to measure Pat. The priority isn't the defence, it's points, he has done a much much better job so far. If we continue our current form across the season, which isn't good enough yet according to Pat, then we would achieve a total of 57 points. Compared to last seasons 33.

Your whole point is based on us having the 3rd biggest budget, yet you provide no evidence when asked. I think DU and definitely Aberdeen will have similar budgets hence why I think top 6 is reasonable.