PDA

View Full Version : Your best ever Hibs goal

H18sry
02-10-2012, 02:54 PM
http://fourfourtwo.com/blogs/fourfourtwoview/archive/2012/09/26/name-your-club-s-best-goal-ever.aspx

Four Four Two magazine are compiling a best ever goal for every team in the SPL and English leagues. You can vote via

Email contact@fourfourtwo.com (use subject "Best Goal" and name your club)
Twitter @FourFourTwo using hashtag #ourbestgoal
Facebook facebook.com/FourFourTwo
Google+ plus.google.com/+FourFourTwo

My contribution is this DR screamer against that lot from 2004 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kCi33Vdb-g if you vote can you post your choice here so we can all enjoy your contributions. :thumbsup:

shetlandhibee
02-10-2012, 02:59 PM
Either riordans

wonder goal vs hearts or latapys goal in the 6-2 game vs hearts

wearethehibs
02-10-2012, 03:39 PM
Im stuck between 3
Stokes v Huns at Ibrox
Stokes v Huns 12seconds
Or that knob Mikey Stewert's wonder volley v Aberdeen in the scottish cup.

Those 3 jumped to mind straight away for recentish great goals.

Hiber-nation
02-10-2012, 03:40 PM
Latapy...twisting...turning....

Paisley Hibby
02-10-2012, 04:04 PM
Andy Goram's goal against Morton :greengrin

lyonhibs
02-10-2012, 04:09 PM

......a lovely 1-2, that is ABSOLUTELY WONDERFUL from Russel Latapy. 6 of the best for Hibs, they've been simply stunning"

One of the best pieces of commentary on any football game ever. That goal has to be it for me.

Wheat Hound
02-10-2012, 04:12 PM
G'OC in the last minute v THEM. THEY have scored so many last minute winners against us it's sickening. This was the only occasion in the last 30 years or so that we reversed this and it felt marvellous !!!

heretoday
02-10-2012, 04:54 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mepPmVNnTK0

How's about this then? Hope it plays ok.

FranckSuzy
02-10-2012, 05:05 PM
......a lovely 1-2, that is ABSOLUTELY WONDERFUL from Russel Latapy. 6 of the best for Hibs, they've been simply stunning"

One of the best pieces of commentary on any football game ever. That goal has to be it for me.

:agree: From 4.45 mins (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gUn9IRZoK0)in

Broken Gnome
02-10-2012, 05:07 PM
Is this where everyone gets best goal mixed up with favourite goal?

hibbybrian
02-10-2012, 05:09 PM
25th August 1979

Ralph Callachan goal v Dundee

dribbled past 4 defenders into the box then dummied the goalie that he was going to shoot to his left and dinked the ball to the goalies right - even the Glasgow Herald were impressed

HUTCHYHIBBY
02-10-2012, 05:19 PM
Is this where everyone gets best goal mixed up with favourite goal?

Exactly! theres a big difference.

I remember Hunter scoring on the volley at the cow shed end from a corner and Torfasson doing something similar for St Mirren at the other end, what a pair of strikes!

HUTCHYHIBBY
02-10-2012, 05:22 PM
Hibs 4th in the cup against Celtic in the 4-3 game at ER might be a favourite tho!

HUTCHYHIBBY
02-10-2012, 05:27 PM
Oops, just noticed SPL goal, i still love that 4-3 game though!

ancient hibee
02-10-2012, 06:07 PM
Bobby Duncan versus Napoli or Willie Hamlton cup tie winner against Rangers,

Hiber-nation
02-10-2012, 06:13 PM
25th August 1979

dribbled past 4 defenders into the box then dummied the goalie that he was going to shoot to his left and dinked the ball to the goalies right - even the Glasgow Herald were impressed

Remember it well, unbelievable goal and what a pity Ralphie didn't do it more often!

One of Des Bremner's last games I think. Then it all went pear-shaped :boo hoo:

Pretty Boy
02-10-2012, 06:15 PM

This. Or Zitellis overhead kick at Dens.

Halifaxhibby
02-10-2012, 06:26 PM
Where to start?

Zitelli hit a few screamers
Deeks against them from 30 yards
Charnley against the tic from in his own half
Maginley from his own half
Goram from his own box!!
Joe Mcbride free kick against them mid 80's
Doyle and spoony in the last 2 weeks!!!

Too many great goals to choose one!!
:hibees

patch1875
02-10-2012, 06:26 PM
Chic from the half way line

HibbyAndy
02-10-2012, 06:29 PM

Even tho that commentary wasn't exactly what it said:greengrin

'6 of the best for the Hibees, They've been just stunning'.

BTW Riordan at hame against Hearts wins this best goal malarky hands doon. Absolute screamer.

lyonhibs
02-10-2012, 06:59 PM

BTW Riordan at hame against Hearts wins this best goal malarky hands doon. Absolute screamer.

Och, away and ***** you! That attempt was from memory, no recited off a Youtube clip :greengrin

The Riordan goal is famous for my mate uttering the immortal words as Riordan lined the strike up:

"Don't f***ing shoo.........................................<mayhem>"

YehButNoBut
02-10-2012, 07:03 PM
Like others have said don't see how you can top this one :hibees

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kCi33Vdb-g

Sauzee92
02-10-2012, 07:17 PM
Chic from the half way line

Anyone know the date of this game?

Elephant Stone
02-10-2012, 07:22 PM

It's "six of the best for Hibs".

"Hibs are on the prowl again in a menacing mood. Russell Latapy, twisting, turning, lovely one-two, that is absolutely wonderful from Russell Latapy. Six of the best for Hibs, they've been just stunning"

beensaidbefore
02-10-2012, 08:11 PM
Chic Charnley on Larssons debut.

Remember Charnley pulled at his dredlocks right in font of us, HL went mental and must have thought WTF have i done coming to this place, while Chico ran off laughing.

also seem to remember Pat McGinley scoring one from about 40-odd yards, cant remember when or against who...anyone?

Jonnyboy
02-10-2012, 08:15 PM
Anyone know the date of this game?

9 August 1997

http://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/game.php?gameid=4424

hfc rd
02-10-2012, 08:21 PM

Lovely one two!

That is my favourite as well.

Jonnyboy
02-10-2012, 08:33 PM
9 August 1997

http://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/game.php?gameid=4424

A couple of weeks later McGinlay did it against Killie at ER

About 1.05 in

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNqrMxkAkYM

GreenCastle
02-10-2012, 08:34 PM

Latapy volley in the 6-2 game - the moment - the quality :greengrin:top marks

.Sean.
02-10-2012, 08:41 PM
Either goal in the 'Unbeatable' Derby.

.Sean.
02-10-2012, 08:44 PM

Remember Charnley pulled at his dredlocks right in font of us, HL went mental and must have thought WTF have i done coming to this place, while Chico ran off laughing.

also seem to remember Pat McGinley scoring one from about 40-odd yards, cant remember when or against who...anyone?
My old man also scored a cracker that day at Easter Road. His was better though, as his was doon the slope :greengrin

He was on the pitch at half-time hitting penalties along with a few others as a 'Carlsberg Penalty King'.

Sweet Left Peg
02-10-2012, 08:46 PM
Where to start?

Zitelli hit a few screamers
Deeks against them from 30 yards
Charnley against the tic from in his own half
Maginley from his own half
Goram from his own box!!
Joe Mcbride free kick against them mid 80's
Doyle and spoony in the last 2 weeks!!!

Too many great goals to choose one!!
:hibees

Chico's goal from inside his own half -and uphill btw- was against Alloa in the cup. He scored a cracker vs Celtic after Larsson's first touch in Scottish football lost possession to him.

sbell1875
02-10-2012, 08:54 PM

Watching this brings a tear to my eye. Easily one of the greatest nights of my life.

mim
02-10-2012, 08:59 PM
Bobby Duncan versus Napoli or Willie Hamlton cup tie winner against Rangers,

So many to choose from, from so many great players, but it's Duncan's goal for me too. Not only was it a screamer past Dino Zoff, but it set Hibs on the road to one of the most incredible comebacks in European football history.

hibsbollah
02-10-2012, 09:00 PM
Konte's 'stumbler' in Latvia against the might of Dinaburg.

HUTCHYHIBBY
02-10-2012, 09:01 PM
Beedie or McCluskey in the Souness game, sun beating down, the east going mental, proper football!

Broken Gnome
02-10-2012, 09:08 PM
Can't really think of many great Hibs team goals over the years. Latapy scored a good one up at Perth after a good 20 passes, any others stand out?

BurghHibby
02-10-2012, 09:10 PM
Jimmy O'Rourke's diving header against Celtic in the 72 league cup final, quality!

Mon Dieu4
02-10-2012, 09:17 PM

his crab goal against motherwell to get us into Europe was better

Thecat23
02-10-2012, 09:27 PM
Agathe against Dundee when Dundee had a cracking side. We lost an early goal I think and smashed them 4 or 5-1. It felt He beat just about everyone on the park dodging some meaty tackles and slipped it past the keeper. I was in those old glass boxes at the time sitting with the then new signing.. David Zitelli. He couldn't believe the football being played that day.

Scott Allan Key
02-10-2012, 09:31 PM
Watching this brings a tear to my eye. Easily one of the greatest nights of my life.

I'll second that. That goal by Latapy is better than Archie Gemmill's. :cb I'm not biased. Do we have a winner?

pogo
02-10-2012, 11:42 PM
Always remember this cracker from Michael O'Neill, absolute peach of a volley:thumbsup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvgDNxueTtA

From 2.50 in.:not worth

HUTCHYHIBBY
02-10-2012, 11:54 PM

Big Fat Frank breaking the seats was funnier tho!

edinburghhibee
03-10-2012, 12:07 AM
My choice is Russell's goal in the 6-2 game like most others but I remember a racker being scored in the 1st division by Barry penterville??? Sure that was his name loan signing from Coventry I think.

Anyway I was in the east and he collected the ball must have been 35-40 yards out and smashed it into the top corner. Of the goal in front of the south.

linlithgowhibbie
03-10-2012, 09:10 AM
25th August 1979

I agree with Hibbybrian, was wonderfful, and i'm sure it wasn't even on a tv anywhere, pur magic from a magician on his day

Stevie Reid
03-10-2012, 09:31 AM
Latapy 6-2 and O'Neill volley v Motherwell are my top two - not just incredible goals but in great games of football too (and under the floodlights, which always makes it better).

Agathe solo v Dundee probably 3rd.

Lee0762
03-10-2012, 09:36 AM
You cannae beat the Latapy goal against them. Just remembered this peach aswell from Zitelli against AEK Athens, 3:40 in. What an atmosphere at Easter Road that night. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hz2FkQlAkdk :flag:

hibees 7062
03-10-2012, 10:08 AM
Gorams against Morton , you knew it was a goal as soon as it left his foot

mim
03-10-2012, 10:15 AM
My choice is Russell's goal in the 6-2 game like most others but I remember a racker being scored in the 1st division by Barry penterville??? Sure that was his name loan signing from Coventry I think.

Anyway I was in the east and he collected the ball must have been 35-40 yards out and smashed it into the top corner. Of the goal in front of the south.

Close. His name was Barry Prenderville. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

YehButNoBut
03-10-2012, 10:19 AM
Another beauty from Zitelli

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_yGw6g0Y-s

Stevie Reid
03-10-2012, 10:19 AM

Aye, Barry Prenderville - I remember shouting "don't hit it!" just before he scored that peach :greengrin

IIRC we tried to get him but Coventry wanted too much money - think his career went rapidly down hilll afterwards.

Stevie Reid
03-10-2012, 10:27 AM
Gorams against Morton , you knew it was a goal as soon as it left his foot

:greengrin

Think the fact that David Wylie had been knocked unconscious a few minutes prior to the goal helped, seem to remember him juggling the ball for a couple of seconds before it went in. We were right behind Goram's goal that day, was great to celebrate with him - also saw him score the winning penalty in a shootout v Clydebank at that end (opposite one from the Morton one).

hibsbollah
03-10-2012, 03:45 PM
his crab goal against motherwell to get us into Europe was better

Its funny how all Konte's moves have their own special name :agree: The Crab goal against Motherwell, The Stumbler against Dinaburg, The Climbing The Tree header against the bar assist for Deanos winner against the yams, and my favourite The Drunken Giraffe dive against Celtc.

brog
03-10-2012, 04:19 PM
A couple of weeks later McGinlay did it against Killie at ER

About 1.05 in

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNqrMxkAkYM

Thx John, I'd never seen before!!
The Ralph Callachan goal was amazing but not on tv so apart from those mentioned I'll go for Michael O'Neill against Motherwell. Ivan's 2nd & 3rd at Ibrox were tremendous as was Scott Brown's at Darkheid the same season.
My own fav involved my hero Joe Baker against Killie at ER. Willie Toner, Killie CH ( & future Hibee ) was tipped for a Scotland call up until Joe destroyed him. We won 4-0, 4 second half goals up the hill & Joe scored the 3rd. He started at the half way line beat 2 or 3 different players by flicking ball over their heads & finally hit ball on volley into roof of net from 20 yards - superb. 50+years ago & seems like yesterday!

Owain_1987
03-10-2012, 04:48 PM
I would say mine was Deeks against Hearts, I was bored the other night and made a youtube video of the best goals I have seen live and I would say Deeks goal is the best goal I have ever seen live! Here is my video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=KUo9K7bDBww) if you want to see some random goals and the random football games I get to. :greengrin

Pretty Boy
03-10-2012, 05:00 PM
Another beauty from Zitelli

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_yGw6g0Y-s

Didn't even win goal of the month!

Gordon Smith gave it to some hun.

HibbyAndy
03-10-2012, 05:04 PM
Beedie or McCluskey in the Souness game, sun beating down, the east going mental, proper football!

Wasn't it Beedie and Cowan Hutch?.. Also recall that day as a fresh faced young boy. East was going mental when it all kicked of with Mclusky..Super ersehole Mccoist punched Fulton in the puss when the melee in the middle was going on and ran away..Little sissy that he is.

Can still remember that morning chokin on the time going fast so i could go and watch the Hibees, Its never changed for me really, I still live and breathe Hibs.

Gala Foxes
03-10-2012, 05:43 PM
Ralph Callachan
August 1979
Dundee @ Easter Road
Won 5-2

Callachan dribbled past the entire Dundee defence, the keeper, the whole away support, 6 stewards, 2 guys selling spearmint chewing gum + Macaroon bars, 4 cops, 2 of the guys that used to go round the track selling wagon wheels, Stewart Brown from the Evening News, Arthur Montford, PA Announcer Bill Barclay and the Silver Fox Hibs Team Bus

Tremendous goal.

bigwheel
03-10-2012, 05:53 PM
Ralph Callachan
August 1979
Dundee @ Easter Road
Won 5-2

Callachan dribbled past the entire Dundee defence, the keeper, the whole away support, 6 stewards, 2 guys selling spearmint chewing gum + Macaroon bars, 4 cops, 2 of the guys that used to go round the track selling wagon wheels, Stewart Brown from the Evening News, Arthur Montford, PA Announcer Bill Barclay and the Silver Fox Hibs Team Bus

Tremendous goal.

Haha. ... My favourite goal too !

Keith_M
03-10-2012, 06:14 PM
Ralph Callachan
August 1979
Dundee @ Easter Road
Won 5-2

Tremendous goal.

I was going to vote for McGinley but after that description, which I have no reason to doubt, I'm with you. Callachan it is

"Oh, Ralphie Ralphie,
Ralphie, Ralphie, Ralphie, Ralphie,
Ca-la-han"

They don't write songs like they used to!

:greengrin

edinburghhibee
03-10-2012, 09:23 PM

Thts the fella, I'm terrible with names.:top marks

Johnny0762
03-10-2012, 09:30 PM
Darren Jackson -v- Dundee Utd, Tynecastle, League Cup Semi.

Just for the wild celebrations in the old Shed.

KWJ
04-10-2012, 02:06 AM
Too many people doing as 4-4-2 say not to, "getting misty eyed". I'd probably go a wee bit that way with Riordan's or Latapy's too but this would be right up there, just a shame we lost.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egKPu90S2SU

poolman
04-10-2012, 10:35 AM
]Bobby Duncan versus Napoli [/B]or Willie Hamlton cup tie winner against Rangers,

Ahhh :agree:

One for us old gits :greengrin

What a peach that one was, but the whole night was a dream :agree:

hibs0666
04-10-2012, 10:44 AM
Agathe against Dundee when Dundee had a cracking side. We lost an early goal I think and smashed them 4 or 5-1. It felt He beat just about everyone on the park dodging some meaty tackles and slipped it past the keeper. I was in those old glass boxes at the time sitting with the then new signing.. David Zitelli. He couldn't believe the football being played that day.
That is my one too was an unbelievable piece of skill.

hibs0666
04-10-2012, 10:50 AM
That is my one too was an unbelievable piece of skill.

Sproule Three
04-10-2012, 10:54 AM
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=luB0aej4_rE

Archie goal. Debatable whether its the greatest goal but certainly greatest celebration that I've been in

allezsauzee
04-10-2012, 10:57 AM
Pat McGinlay scoring from the half way line against Killie a week or so after Chico Charnley had done the same in the league cup. Paddy's was better because he hit it first time

HUTCHYHIBBY
04-10-2012, 11:37 AM
Wasn't it Beedie and Cowan Hutch?.. Also recall that day as a fresh faced young boy. East was going mental when it all kicked of with Mclusky..Super ersehole Mccoist punched Fulton in the puss when the melee in the middle was going on and ran away..Little sissy that he is.

Can still remember that morning chokin on the time going fast so i could go and watch the Hibees, Its never changed for me really, I still live and breathe Hibs.

Aye, it was Cowan instead of Beastie.

Closest to the Athens game for atmosphere I can think of, changed days more recently unfortunately.

EVENTUALLY
04-10-2012, 12:14 PM
25th August 1979

Best goal I've ever witnessed so to speak, as opposed to seeing many great goals on TV/Video/Dvd etc. What was amazing was that RC beat all the Dundee defenders the same way with a faint and drag back. He could have knocked it in on about three separate occasions but kept beating the defenders as they "turned up". Great game as well which was not unusual as we always seemed to have really good footballing matches with Dundee.

Skanko79
04-10-2012, 12:22 PM
agathe v dundee or latapy volley v hearts in 6-2 game.

Spike Mandela
04-10-2012, 12:33 PM
Erich Schaedler rampaging down the wing forcing it through to Arthur Duncan who whips in a beautiful cross to be met with the best header I have ever seen by Alan Gordon who headers it down away from the goalie at such an angle that it hits both posts...............oh, and it was goal number 7.

deeks01
04-10-2012, 12:57 PM
My best ever hibs goal was the one I scored in my dream against Hearts to win the Scottish cup , screamer it was floated through midfield took a pass left to maroon clad twats on their ***** with trickery that Zemamma would have been proud of and rifled it in from 30 yards before running to celebrate in front of the crowd... Only just beats the one I scored for Scotlsnd in the World Cup final.

On a serious note the BEST goal I've ever seen from a hibs player was Mikey Stewarts wonder volley versus the sheep. My FAVOURITE however is Derek Riordans screamer versus hearts at Easter Road.

Mon1875
05-10-2012, 10:55 PM
Chic Charnley's half way line goal up the slope. Never caught on video but was amazing to watch.

Plus all 6 against Hearts :thumbsup:

Mon1875
05-10-2012, 10:58 PM

Cracking stuff. Remember thinking who is this guy Celtic signed. Charnley just made an arse of him. Didnt think that way thereafter though lol.

ginger_eejit
06-10-2012, 12:02 AM
Andy Goram v Morton (unfortunately I was in the toilets in the Cowshed at the time)
Keith Wright v Rangers (LC SF 91 - unfortunately I was 2/3rds the way up the steps at Hampden, late due to traffic delays getting into Glasgow)