PDA

View Full Version : Scotland Squad ANNOUNCED with S.Fletcher included.

scott7_0(Prague)
02-10-2012, 10:14 AM
Charlie Adam (Stoke City)
Christophe Berra (Wolverhampton Wanderers)
Scott Brown (Celtic)
Gary Caldwell (Wigan Athletic)
Darren Fletcher (Manchester United)
Steven Fletcher (Sunderland)
James Forrest (Celtic)
Daniel Fox (Southampton)
Matt Gilks (Blackpool)
Grant Hanley (Blackburn Rovers)
Alan Hutton (Aston Villa)
James McArthur (Wigan Athletic)
Allan McGregor (Besiktas)
Jamie Mackie (Queens Park Rangers)
Shaun Maloney (Wigan Athletic)
David Marshall (Cardiff City)
Russell Martin (Norwich City)
Kenny Miller (Vancouver Whitecaps)
James Morrison (West Bromwich Albion)
Charlie Mulgrew (Celtic)
Steven Naismith (Everton)
Matt Phillips (Blackpool)
Jordan Rhodes (Blackburn Rovers)
Robert Snodgrass (Norwich City)
Andy Webster (Heart of Midlothian)

Steve-O
02-10-2012, 10:18 AM
Is this true?!

I am going to have to take back everything I ever said about Levein!

But nah.................:greengrin

JimBHibees
02-10-2012, 10:23 AM
Touche by Levein, assuming that no communication has happened either way and he is calling Fletch's bluff. Ball back in the players court will be interesting to see how this pans out. Wonder when Fletch pulls his hamstring in the next week or so. :greengrin

chrisski33
02-10-2012, 10:24 AM
Lets hope fletcher delivers the goods which im certain he will!

Frazerbob
Touche by Levein, assuming that no communication has happened either way and he is calling Fletch's bluff. Ball back in the players court will be interesting to see how this pans out. Wonder when Fletch pulls his hamstring in the next week or so. :greengrin

:agree:

Last throw of the dice from Potter. If SF pulls out then Levein has won the battle. Unfortunately he won't win the war though!

RickyS
Is this true?!

I am going to have to take back everything I ever said about Levein!

But nah.................:greengrin

he has done the right thing but he will always be a hertz kn*b:aok:

scott7_0(Prague)
02-10-2012, 10:25 AM

Steven returns for the first time since the friendly match against Sweden in August 2010, following a discussion with Craig Levein yesterday.

alfie
02-10-2012, 10:26 AM
Finally! There might actually be a reason to watch the next qualifiers then!

Hibbyradge
02-10-2012, 10:28 AM
We should be a different team with S Fletcher, S Brown and D Fletcher in the side, assuming they're all fit.

JimBHibees
02-10-2012, 10:28 AM

Last throw of the dice from Potter. If SF pulls out then Levein has won the battle. Unfortunately he won't win the war though!

Agree Fletcher cant IMO pull out unless he has a genuine injury e.g one that would make him miss Sunderland game not an OF injury where he is playing the next Saturday. He should go along and play his best and hopefully score as the question will always be of Levein why didnt you pick him sooner.

HUTCHYHIBBY
02-10-2012, 10:33 AM
Amazed and delighted in equal measures!

bawheid
02-10-2012, 10:33 AM
the question will always be of Levein why didnt you pick him sooner.

Yep. Unless we qualify, it's too late.

Levein's completely shat the bed with this one.

Phil MaGlass
02-10-2012, 10:34 AM
Fletcher and Rhodes should be on from the beginning, no excuses not to have them both on.

Hibbyradge
02-10-2012, 10:36 AM

Why would he pull out?

He's spoken with the manager and he has said publicly that he wants to play for Scotland.

Levein has finally done the right thing, and that should be acknowledged, but the whole affair has made him look like a fool.

Unless he pulls off a Ryder Cup type miracle, he'll be remembered for 4 - 6 - 0 and for jeopardising our World Cup chances by leaving our best striker out, simply to assuage his over inflated ego.

hibsmad
02-10-2012, 10:38 AM
Im actually a little bit disappointed.

I honestly think that after the opening two matches, coupled with the fact that Levein is still in charge, that we have no chance of qualification.

I thought that there was a real chance that he would be sacked after the next two matches and I was really looking forward to being able to get excited again watching Scotland.

PatHead
02-10-2012, 10:40 AM
Good news. Glad Levein has now seen sense and acted for the good of Scotland. Here is hoping it is onwards and upwards for Scotland. Unfortunately I suspect it is too late for both Levein and our qualification purposes.

Surprised Chris Commons isn't in the squad as he has had a great start to the season.

Pretty Boy
02-10-2012, 10:41 AM
About 12 months too late but clever move by Levein nonetheless.

Balls in Fletchs court now, hope he does the right thing.

Broken Gnome
02-10-2012, 10:44 AM
About 12 months too late but clever move by Levein nonetheless.

Balls in Fletchs court now, hope he does the right thing.

Course he will, he asked to be included.

Sceptical over whether he'll be able to walk straight back in though. Will still be 451, and wouldn't be surprised if he's made to suffer a little more.

Alex Trager
02-10-2012, 10:44 AM
Levein knows his time is nearly up. If he changes things up for these coming games then fair enough. But he'll probably stick with miller up front

The Tubs
02-10-2012, 10:49 AM
The squad looks alright, though when did Scotland stop producing centre-halves? A few years ago that was always the strongest area of the team.

cabbageandribs1875
02-10-2012, 10:51 AM
well done the SFA for telling le vain to add fletcher to the squad, don't anyone think for one minute that le vain had a change of heart :agree:

Hibs7
02-10-2012, 10:54 AM
Levein is covering his backside, he plays Fletcher and we still get beat then the blame doesn't lie with Levein, we win and he is a genius, can't lose.

JimBHibees
02-10-2012, 10:55 AM
The squad looks alright, though when did Scotland stop producing centre-halves? A few years ago that was always the strongest area of the team.

Yep it is an area we are incredibly weak in IMO. Caldwell and Berra is probably the least worst we have which is a scary thought. We really need Brown and the two Fletcher's to be starting to strengthen the team to any great degree.

Greendub
02-10-2012, 10:56 AM
Fletcher and Rhodes should be on from the beginning, no excuses not to have them both on.

You know, I know and everyone knows he'll play Kenny Miller

Total fud that he is

PatHead
02-10-2012, 10:57 AM
Levein is covering his backside, he plays Fletcher and we still get beat then the blame doesn't lie with Levein, we win and he is a genius, can't lose.

Don't think he will be considered a genius. It will just highlight how we lost 4 home points without Fletcher and how bad our overall qualifying record is under Levein not picking the best players at his disposal.

JimBHibees
02-10-2012, 10:59 AM

Disagree if we lose both games he is gone IMO, Fletcher playing or not.

Hiber-nation
02-10-2012, 11:04 AM
Levein on SSN....negotiations were made through a 3rd party...but Levein made the phone call to Fletcher.

frazeHFC
02-10-2012, 11:06 AM
Finally! :thumbsup:

LancsHibs
02-10-2012, 11:08 AM
He has to play Fletcher from the start..... Not sure if he will :confused:

SlickShoes
02-10-2012, 11:08 AM
Happy he is back in the squad but it's too late now, we screwed it up already playing defensive tactics in two home games that we needed to win.

PatHead
02-10-2012, 11:09 AM
Levein on SSN....negotiations were made through a 3rd party...but Levein made the phone call to Fletcher.

Who cares whose pal spoke to whose pal......................as long as Scotland get a winning team on the park.

I've said a few times that both of them have behaved like spoilt children and Scotland have suffered due to this.

(For what its worth I still think Levein is a crap manager and this has been about as badly handled and as disruptive as the way the SFA have handled the Rangers saga.)

Mon Dieu4
02-10-2012, 11:14 AM
Hope Fletch made the welt beg and asked him why he wanted an overpriced over rated player in his squad

scuttle
02-10-2012, 11:15 AM
Cant see Potter starting him though ,he will be lucky to get a minute or so at the end so Potter looks like hes in control and not bowing to public pressure
Hope im wrong though ,good to see him back

bigwheel
02-10-2012, 11:18 AM
Levein knows that he can't afford to take the chance and leave him out - he would have lost his job had he done that and we didn't win...

PeeKay
02-10-2012, 11:19 AM
The way Potter has Scotland play he could be setting Fletch up for a damp squib performance - if he even gets on the park. After all he was in the squad for the infamous Czech Republic game and never got a sniff. That was the start of the big falling out.

Bristolhibby
02-10-2012, 11:25 AM

MON perhaps?

J

jacomo
02-10-2012, 11:27 AM
Levein knows that he can't afford to take the chance and leave him out - he would have lost his job had he done that and we didn't win...

Very true. Levein's stupidity and stubbornness means he has no room left for slip ups, and he has to play S Fletcher because in his absence from the Scotland set up he has looked better and better. If Fletcher doesn't do well Levein will still get the blame... If he does, the striker will get all the credit!

jdships
02-10-2012, 11:30 AM
Am I correct in saying there is no representative from ' Sevco Rangers' in this squad ?

scott7_0(Prague)
Also where Paul Dixon, thought he had a couple of decent games!

Newry Hibs
Presumably Ian Black is injured and that's why Darren Fletcher has been brought in?

Geo_1875
02-10-2012, 11:31 AM
Thoroughly disgusted with Levein. I thought he was a principled, dignified human being. Now I discover that he's a lily livered coward, prepared to bend to public opinion under the slightest pressure. I think he's an embarassment to his position as Scotland team manager. And he's still a jakey mess :)

LeighLoyal
02-10-2012, 11:34 AM
great news. With Scotty and Darren fletcher back in also! :aok:

silverhibee
02-10-2012, 11:34 AM
Hope Fletch made the welt beg and asked him why he wanted an overpriced over rated player in his squad

Yep, Potter has made himself to look like a right plonker over this whole mess.

SFA should sack him today. As Potter has made them to look like a bunch of dafties too.

Seveno
02-10-2012, 11:44 AM
He is quoted as saying it was a 'no brainer' once he knew that Fletch wanted to play for Scotland.

So who have you borrowed the brain from, Jakey ?

Hiber-nation
02-10-2012, 11:51 AM
Also where Paul Dixon, thought he had a couple of decent games!

I was trying to work out who was dropped but I forgot about Dixon - that really is a joke.

Ross McCormack is the one to make way for Fletch I think.

ScottB
02-10-2012, 11:53 AM
Trying to save his own skin with this I think!

I did note a text was apparently fine and dandy this time!

JoeT_WasTheBest
02-10-2012, 11:57 AM
MON perhaps?

J

I saw someone on Twitter the other day (@scotfootblog I think) suggesting it may have been our very own Mr Petrie. I think he'd heard it as a rumour though, so who knows..

Pretty Boy
02-10-2012, 12:22 PM
I saw someone on Twitter the other day (@scotfootblog I think) suggesting it may have been our very own Mr Petrie. I think he'd heard it as a rumour though, so who knows..

Wouldn't surprise me, Rod was certainly involved in trying to set up a meeting in Liverpool last season.

hibsboy90
02-10-2012, 12:26 PM

Wouldn't surprise me, Rod was certainly involved in trying to set up a meeting in Liverpool last season.

So hibs have a 'Scotland goals' clause....:cb

SteveHFC
02-10-2012, 12:39 PM
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m7bbvbTolx1rr6x4t.gif

No doubt he will play Miller ahead of Fletcher.

Fletcher/Rhodes must start the next 2 games

brythehibby
02-10-2012, 12:55 PM
My first thought - about time.
My second thought - he wont play.

Hopefully proved wrong. We need our best on the park to have any chance that remains of qualifiying.

Broken Gnome
02-10-2012, 12:57 PM
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m7bbvbTolx1rr6x4t.gif

No doubt he will play Miller ahead of Fletcher.

Fletcher/Rhodes must start the next 2 games

Levein plays one up front at home to Macedonia. He's sure as hell not going to Belgium with only four in midfield. Nor should he. We'd get hammered.

Paisley Hibby
02-10-2012, 01:30 PM
Im actually a little bit disappointed.

I honestly think that after the opening two matches, coupled with the fact that Levein is still in charge, that we have no chance of qualification.

I thought that there was a real chance that he would be sacked after the next two matches and I was really looking forward to being able to get excited again watching Scotland.

You and me too mate :agree:

Keith_M
02-10-2012, 01:38 PM
Levein plays one up front at home to Macedonia. He's sure as hell not going to Belgium with only four in midfield. Nor should he. We'd get hammered.

I disagree.

I think Scotland really have to change the totally negative tactics they use against what are in fact mediocre teams. Belgium are currently no great shakes and I'd love to see Scotland give it a real go against them, with Fletcher and perhaps Rhodes up front. Even Fletcher and Miller.

JimBHibees
02-10-2012, 01:49 PM
I disagree.

I think Scotland really have to change the totally negative tactics they use against what are in fact mediocre teams. Belgium are currently no great shakes and I'd love to see Scotland give it a real go against them, with Fletcher and perhaps Rhodes up front. Even Fletcher and Miller.

I think they are seen as one of the up and coming nations looking at the quality they have at their disposal including numerous EPL stars such as Kompany, Hazard, Vermallen, Fellaini etc. Not altogether convinced they are a great team as thought they were pretty average v Wales however they have bags of ability.

Levein will never play 2 forwards against them away from home if he didnt at home v Macedonia.

Broken Gnome
02-10-2012, 01:58 PM
I disagree.

The most difficult game in the group isn't the time ti do it. Belgium's results are underwhelming given the players they have so granted they might not be the powerhouse people claim them to be. Lukaku, Fellaini
Hazard, Witsel and Dembele are hardly the time to change tactics though. He should do it in Cardiff, not in Brussels.

Golden Bear
02-10-2012, 02:09 PM
It's disappointing that we don't have any representatives in the most recent Under 21 squad but it's difficult to argue the case when we've had a shortage of youngsters breaking into the first team squad in recent seasons.

Hopefully guys like Handling and Caldwell will get their chance before long.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19801368

WellingtonHibby
02-10-2012, 02:25 PM
Nae bannan though. ...?

WellingtonHibby
02-10-2012, 02:27 PM
It's disappointing that we don't have any representatives in the most recent Under 21 squad but it's difficult to argue the case when we've had a shortage of youngsters breaking into the first team squad in recent seasons.

Hopefully guys like Handling and Caldwell will get their chance before long.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/198013

In the Scotland squad? Behave. .

JimBHibees
02-10-2012, 02:43 PM
In the Scotland squad? Behave. .

If you followed the link it was to the U21 squad which includes a number of previously uncapped players some of which are probably at similar levels to Caldwell/Handling.

shetlandhibee
02-10-2012, 02:56 PM
In my opinion I think the squad should be
-------------------------S.Fletcher------------------------
----------sparky------------------------Rhodes--------
Adam---------------------------------------------------Forrest
------------------------brown-D.Fletcher-----------------
Foster-------------------------------------------------bardsley
-----------------------Berra-----mcpake-----------------
-----------------------------mcgregor--------------------

hibeedonald
02-10-2012, 03:05 PM
1 up front (fletcher) v Belgium, 2 up front V wales (at least), 1 up front away to Belgium is fair enough, no one would of complained one up front v Czech republic

Broken Gnome
02-10-2012, 03:45 PM
Also worth pointing out that, given he's been mentioned a couple of times now, Leigh Griffiths is a mile off a Scotland call up right now, and not because of any Levein ineptitude or Hibs bias...

StarMan10
02-10-2012, 03:51 PM
Don't agree with the people who say 2 upfront is a necessity. 1 upfront is the way most international teams play and is the right way for Scotland to set up however the negativity and the lack of players getting up to support that 1 striker is where Scotland is sorely behind other nations.

Albanian Hibs
02-10-2012, 04:02 PM

Eh..mcpake plays for northern ireland

sambajustice
02-10-2012, 04:08 PM

Are you on smack??

JimBHibees
02-10-2012, 04:11 PM
Also worth pointing out that, given he's been mentioned a couple of times now, Leigh Griffiths is a mile off a Scotland call up right now, and not because of any Levein ineptitude or Hibs bias...

Completely agree, he is going in the right direction however his game needs to continue to improve markedly mostly around holding the ball up better and also his decision making in finding the right pass when in good positions.

stokesmessiah
02-10-2012, 04:29 PM

Not sure you are allowed 12 men on the pitch ?

Frazerbob
02-10-2012, 04:30 PM
Why would he pull out?

He's spoken with the manager and he has said publicly that he wants to play for Scotland.

Levein has finally done the right thing, and that should be acknowledged, but the whole affair has made him look like a fool.

Unless he pulls off a Ryder Cup type miracle, he'll be remembered for 4 - 6 - 0 and for jeopardising our World Cup chances by leaving our best striker out, simply to assuage his over inflated ego.

I posted before the press conference so didn't know they had spoken. I thought it may have been Potter calling Fletcher's bluff. It seems they havekissed and made up (with a wee nidge from the SFA) so, yes, there is no reason for him to withdraw. Happy days!

Northernhibee
02-10-2012, 04:46 PM
He has to play Fletcher from the start..... Not sure if he will :confused:

Craig Levein solves a problem created by Craig Levein weeks after Craig Levein should have sorted it.

Still has to go. He knows if he loses against Wales he's gone, hence this desperate move.

Piqué
02-10-2012, 04:49 PM
I struggle to think of any top national teams that play four in midfield? England on occasion against much smaller nations. Midfield would be over run most games.

beensaidbefore
02-10-2012, 05:30 PM

i have a sneaky suspicion that although hes in the squad, hes not gonna start. hope im wrong, but i think Levein has an agenda...

Could be that hes actually very worried and pulling out all the stops to try and save his bacon though, which i seriously hope is the case.

come on Fletch, show us what we've been missing.

ancient hibee
02-10-2012, 06:05 PM
Craig Levein solves a problem created by Craig Levein weeks after Craig Levein should have sorted it.

Still has to go. He knows if he loses against Wales he's gone, hence this desperate move.

Levein didn't create it-no player should be allowed to pick and choose when he wants to play.

Suspect Fletcher isn't good enough to be played as sole front man at international level.Should be played in both games with Rhodes.

tamig
02-10-2012, 06:58 PM
I heard Levein at the press conference. Sounded like he was spewing. He's bowed to public and press pressure on this one - and you could tell that by the tone of his voice. Don't think he wanted to pick SF but suspect he knows this is his last throw of the dice.

Hainan Hibs
02-10-2012, 06:58 PM
Levein doing all he can to buy himself time.

No doubt when the campaign is 100% f'ed over the next couple of weeks we'll hear the "aye....but....erm...progress..." line trotted out.

GhostofBolivar
02-10-2012, 07:21 PM
Fully expect Levein to come out with a lot of nonsense about how there are other players in the squad who have done well and how Fletcher needs to earn his chance in the run up to the next game. Fletcher will then be given 8 minutes at the end of the game against Belgium when we'll already be 3-0 down.

Even now, I don't believe that Levein's going to give Fletcher a spot until he's made a moronic attempt to prove a point and show everyone who's boss.

tamig
02-10-2012, 07:41 PM
Not sure you are allowed 12 men on the pitch ?

It beats 4-6-0 any day though eh? :agree:

hfc rd
02-10-2012, 08:16 PM
Really happy to see fletch back.

But honestly, I think potter is just going to keep him on the bench and continually give Kenny Miller the full 90 when he could change it to 4-4-2 with fletch & rhodes up front together.

blackpoolhibs
02-10-2012, 08:49 PM
Potter is a drowning man gasping for his last breath.

Septimus
03-10-2012, 08:24 AM
The irony of all this is that Fletcher is now in a position to save Levein's bacon in spite of having been treated with......well, spite.

Of course he has to be picked first.

Stevie Reid
03-10-2012, 08:42 AM
Fully expect Levein to come out with a lot of nonsense about how there are other players in the squad who have done well and how Fletcher needs to earn his chance in the run up to the next game. Fletcher will then be given 8 minutes at the end of the game against Belgium when we'll already be 3-0 down.

Even now, I don't believe that Levein's going to give Fletcher a spot until he's made a moronic attempt to prove a point and show everyone who's boss.

Although still a complete @rsehole, Levein was actually a lot more humble in what I saw of his press conference than I thought he would be - his talk of 'biting the bullet' and how 'no one was winning' is as close to an admission of his error as we will get.

Fletcher has been brought in as Levein's last throw of the dice, and he will start both games - it will be a rare occurrence when he doesn't start a Scotland game from now on.

H18sry
03-10-2012, 08:46 AM
I heard Levein at the press conference. Sounded like he was spewing. He's bowed to public and press pressure on this one - and you could tell that by the tone of his voice. Don't think he wanted to pick SF but suspect he knows this is his last throw of the dice.

Craig Levein admits: I should have ended Steven Fletcher feud ages ago
SUNDERLAND striker goes straight into the squad for World Cup Qualifiers away to Wales and Belgium next week.
CRAIG LEVEIN yesterday welcomed Steven Fletcher back into the Scotland squad after a two-year exile – then admitted he should’ve ended their stand-off ages ago.
The national boss pulled a rabbit out of the hat just after breakfast when he announced a peace deal had been thrashed out with the £14m Sunderland striker during talks on Monday night.
That means Fletcher will go straight into his squad for this month’s crucial World Cup double header against Wales and Belgium.
Fletcher has been frozen out since asking not to be selected for a friendly clash with Northern Ireland in February 2011 in the now infamous text message which so infuriated the manager.
And yesterday, having finally extended an olive branch to the free-scoring hitman Fletcher, Levein admitted he should have nipped the row in the bud before it got so out of hand.
He said: “It goes back to the original situation. I regret that, at that time, I didn’t do something about it. That was the time to tackle it.
“The boy is probably just as stubborn as me. The fans said if he really wanted to play for Scotland he would do something about it. I was saying that as well.
“But there is no point in going over old ground.”

Stevie Reid
03-10-2012, 08:47 AM
Although still a complete @rsehole, Levein was actually a lot more humble in what I saw of his press conference than I thought he would be - his talk of 'biting the bullet' and how 'no one was winning' is as close to an admission of his error as we will get.

And yesterday, having finally extended an olive branch to the free-scoring hitman Fletcher, Levein admitted he should have nipped the row in the bud before it got so out of hand.
He said: “It goes back to the original situation. I regret that, at that time, I didn’t do something about it. That was the time to tackle it.
“The boy is probably just as stubborn as me. The fans said if he really wanted to play for Scotland he would do something about it. I was saying that as well.

Or maybe not!

JimBHibees
03-10-2012, 09:03 AM
Craig Levein admits: I should have ended Steven Fletcher feud ages ago
SUNDERLAND striker goes straight into the squad for World Cup Qualifiers away to Wales and Belgium next week.
CRAIG LEVEIN yesterday welcomed Steven Fletcher back into the Scotland squad after a two-year exile – then admitted he should’ve ended their stand-off ages ago.
The national boss pulled a rabbit out of the hat just after breakfast when he announced a peace deal had been thrashed out with the £14m Sunderland striker during talks on Monday night.
That means Fletcher will go straight into his squad for this month’s crucial World Cup double header against Wales and Belgium.
Fletcher has been frozen out since asking not to be selected for a friendly clash with Northern Ireland in February 2011 in the now infamous text message which so infuriated the manager.

Whats this the fans said nonsense. Most fans I know said it was up to the manager to sort it out.

He is desperate mainly because Miller looks finished at this level and Fletcher also calling his bluff with the tweet he put out that he would play under Levein. Interesting that the agent story about the proposed meeting in Liverpool has never been denied by Levein or SFA which to me means that he was telling the truth. He has made an erse of this and he now knows it pity he didnt think about doing this prior to the 2 home games we have just had. His lack of class throughout all of this with pops at transfer fees for Fletcher etc has shown him as bitter and out of his depth IMO which was in stark contrast to begging Barry the crab back on numerous occasions.

JimBHibees
03-10-2012, 09:48 AM
Levein didn't create it-no player should be allowed to pick and choose when he wants to play.

Suspect Fletcher isn't good enough to be played as sole front man at international level.Should be played in both games with Rhodes.

Which would be fair enough if every player was treated the same. How many players have missed internationals only to be fit as a fiddle for their next game usually for an OF team.

Levein has created this situation 100% by not dealing with it properly until now unfortunately we are sitting on 2 points from 2 home games.

ancient hibee
03-10-2012, 02:47 PM
Which would be fair enough if every player was treated the same. How many players have missed internationals only to be fit as a fiddle for their next game usually for an OF team.

Levein has created this situation 100% by not dealing with it properly until now unfortunately we are sitting on 2 points from 2 home games.

Just because other players have done it still doesn't make it right.

I agree Levein didn't deal with it properly but he didn't cause it.

No reason to think results would have been any better with Fletcher playing-he's unproven at this level particularly as a sole front man.

Broken Gnome
03-10-2012, 05:22 PM

No reason to think results would have been any better with Fletcher playing-he's unproven at this level particularly as a sole front man.

He's a perfect Premiership lone striker and has more attributes than any other Scottish candidate by a mile. Miller`s basically proven now the sense he can`t do what's asked if him. Rhodes IS unproven. The sore point of this whole absence is that's coincided with him becoming exactly the player Scotland need. He's on a goal per chance at the moment, holds the ball up and is good in the air. He's a far better finisher than any if those that blew the chances against the Serbs. Not sure what you think the better alternative is...

Seveno
03-10-2012, 05:59 PM

Get real, players do it all the time. They just claim that they are injured. At least Fletch was honest about it, preferring to help his relegation threatened club rather than sit on the bench or in the stand.

clerriehibs
03-10-2012, 06:46 PM

Can't agree; he's doing it week in week out in the EPL. There's not that many international teams (below the teams that feature in pool 1 or 2 in the draws) would hold their own in the EPL.

The days are long gone where international club football was indisputably the ultimate.

Onceinawhile
03-10-2012, 07:24 PM
Is it just me or is the wrong word capitalised in the title?

500miles
04-10-2012, 03:56 AM

I entirely agreed with Fletcher putting the club that pays his CONSIDERABLE wage before a meaningless jaunt away with the national team. It was a kid-on tournament, and his employers required his skills as a matter of survival. The fact that Levien had refused to play him before would only underline how playing for wolves was more important.

Levien caused the mess by greetin to the papers without even approaching the player. Fletcher was stubborn enough to maintain the silence between them, but then again, when someone tells lies and shoots me down in public, I might have been enclined to wait for them to crawl back too.