PDA

View Full Version : EPL .. Not that different from us in some ways

NAE NOOKIE
01-10-2012, 06:50 PM
Went to Everton v Southampton at the weekend. Not the first time I've been to Goodison .. got a soft spot for the Toffees.

We had to go to Goodison to pick up our tickets. The ticket office was supposed to open at 12 noon ( or 12:20 if you work for Everton ) this tardiness was then exacerbated by the fact that our tickets werent even there ... they turned up at 12:50. No explanation, no apology.

We were seated on the upper deck of the Bullens Stand ( opposite the main stand ) Like many of the stands in Scotland, if you are taller than 5'10" ( I'm not ) I guess you would spend most of the game cuddling your knees. The stand has a wooden floor, quaint in these modern times.

At half time the crowding in the concourse beneath the stand was opressive ... I find it hard to believe the place has a safety certificate.

As for the game itsself ....... Even though there was 4 goals and it was reasonably entertaining I found the crisp passing, instant contol of every pass, excellent movement and a surprising lack of fouls a bit sterile and found myself missing the more flawed version of the beautiful game we practice in the SPL.

This isnt supposed to be a swipe at Everton by the way .... it was just interesting to note that an EPL club can fall short of the standards a fan should expect off the pitch and ( for different reasons ) the football might not be as entertaining as you would think.... For me at least.

One thing I cant fault is the Everton fans ... who like the last time I was there got behind their team when they went behind and were reasonably friendly towards us.

Should have titled this " what I did on my holidays " ............. :greengrin

judas
01-10-2012, 07:11 PM
Went to Everton v Southampton at the weekend. Not the first time I've been to Goodison .. got a soft spot for the Toffees.

We had to go to Goodison to pick up our tickets. The ticket office was supposed to open at 12 noon ( or 12:20 if you work for Everton ) this tardiness was then exacerbated by the fact that our tickets werent even there ... they turned up at 12:50. No explanation, no apology.

We were seated on the upper deck of the Bullens Stand ( opposite the main stand ) Like many of the stands in Scotland, if you are taller than 5'10" ( I'm not ) I guess you would spend most of the game cuddling your knees. The stand has a wooden floor, quaint in these modern times.

At half time the crowding in the concourse beneath the stand was opressive ... I find it hard to believe the place has a safety certificate.

As for the game itsself ....... Even though there was 4 goals and it was reasonably entertaining I found the crisp passing, instant contol of every pass, excellent movement and a surprising lack of fouls a bit sterile and found myself missing the more flawed version of the beautiful game we practice in the SPL.

This isnt supposed to be a swipe at Everton by the way .... it was just interesting to note that an EPL club can fall short of the standards a fan should expect off the pitch and ( for different reasons ) the football might not be as entertaining as you would think.... For me at least.

One thing I cant fault is the Everton fans ... who like the last time I was there got behind their team when they went behind and were reasonably friendly towards us.

Interesting. The stand sounds dangerous right enough. Surprising given the wealth in their game and the history of football accidents in England.

Hibsdeb
01-10-2012, 07:58 PM
nice to hear you had a good time mate and i agree you cant beat the blood and guts of the spl lol.how much were the tickets in comparison to er?by the way mate me an wee greig are in wales on holiday on saturday so if u can use greig and my season tickets give me a bell:flag:

jgl07
01-10-2012, 09:51 PM
Interesting. The stand sounds dangerous right enough. Surprising given the wealth in their game and the history of football accidents in England.

Everton are totally skint.

The need to move from Goodison sooner or later but haven't got the cash to build a new stadium and their proposals for a move to Kirkby have not gone down well.

hibIBZ
02-10-2012, 07:23 AM
i went to a CL game at old trafford last year and was suppossed to be on 'luxury' seating, being 6ft 5 it was virtually impossible and was very glad the seat next to me was empty, apart from that it was excellent

Hibbyradge
02-10-2012, 09:04 AM
The seats in the West Upper at Easter Road have plenty leg room. :agree:

So much that you don't have to stand to let someone passed when they're leaving early. :greengrin

Scouse Hibee
02-10-2012, 09:25 AM
The seats in the West Upper at Easter Road have plenty leg room. :agree:

So much that you don't have to stand to let someone passed when they're leaving early. :greengrin

:agree: Far better than the lower.

Treadstone
02-10-2012, 10:39 AM
Nice post
Although give me silky over blood n'snotters fitba any day of the week.

Danny_Hibee
02-10-2012, 11:18 AM

One small solution for you mate - if you do ever fance an EPL game again then can I suggest Upton Park. You get the whole premiership experience (and great support as well btw) without any of the above "drawbacks" :greengrin

Mon Dieu4
02-10-2012, 11:21 AM
I went to watch Liverpool v Chelsea at Anfield with lots of so called stars on show, sat in the Kop and thought the atmosphere would be electric for such a big game

boy was i wrong, was utter tripe and the premiership is mass hype

Was the same when i was at the Nou Camp, turned to my pal and said this is the best stadium I've ever been in but i don't get the same flutter i do when i see Easter Road, took pelters for it too

Kojock
02-10-2012, 11:37 AM

Who needs a standing area, bring back wooden floors. HIBEES stamp stamp stamp, HIBEES stamp stamp stamp, HIBEES stamp stamp stamp..........

Sylar
02-10-2012, 01:24 PM
Interesting, I thought they had outlawed wooden surfaces and structures from football grounds following Bradford.

There are a few grounds in Scotland which also have this (Fir Hill immediately springs to mind) and I've always thought it a bit stupid that it's never been upgraded.

Scouse Hibee
02-10-2012, 01:30 PM
Interesting, I thought they had outlawed wooden surfaces and structures from football grounds following Bradford.

There are a few grounds in Scotland which also have this (Fir Hill immediately springs to mind) and I've always thought it a bit stupid that it's never been upgraded.

The old main stand at Anfield still has the original wooden seats!

Halifaxhibby
02-10-2012, 01:48 PM
went to the riverside a few years back, got pals in middlesbro, watched them beat liverpool, first half in the stand second half in the enclosure downstairs as it was freezing!!!, had a couple of beers and watched it on one of the many tellies!!!, superb ground.
:wink:

HH81
02-10-2012, 02:06 PM
went to the riverside a few years back, got pals in middlesbro, watched them beat liverpool, first half in the stand second half in the enclosure downstairs as it was freezing!!!, had a couple of beers and watched it on one of the many tellies!!!, superb ground.
:wink:

Halifaxhibby, get yourself down to the shay tonight you will find it just as enjoyable :-)

Halifaxhibby
02-10-2012, 02:22 PM
Halifaxhibby, get yourself down to the shay tonight you will find it just as enjoyable :-)

Been down a few times mate as i work there, couple of lads at work are proper die hard, go home and away every week, always asking me to go along. Nice ground now they've finished the stand.

Always look out for the shaymen result.

HH81
02-10-2012, 02:26 PM
Been down a few times mate as i work there, couple of lads at work are proper die hard, go home and away every week, always asking me to go along. Nice ground now they've finished the stand.

Always look out for the shaymen result.

I work Tuesday's normally but off today so might head down tonight.

NAE NOOKIE
03-10-2012, 05:15 PM
Everton are totally skint.

The need to move from Goodison sooner or later but haven't got the cash to build a new stadium and their proposals for a move to Kirkby have not gone down well.

Yeh .. was aware of that, as far as I know Kirkby is about 5 miles from Goodison.