PDA

View Full Version : Pat Stanton Tribute

Hibby Gav
01-10-2012, 01:17 PM
I posted this at the end of the Easter Road Parade thread...but thought it deserved another on it's own....Probably most of you have seen this...a movie taken at the Sheraton on a tribute night to the King of Hibs.
http://ssa.nls.uk/film.cfm?fid=8529&search_term=Hibernian&search_join_type=AND&search_fuzzy=yes

The timing of this is classic...just after 'that summer' ...after the success of the Hands of Hibs campaign....players old and new celebrating the biggest Hibbie ever and the club we all adore....watch out for games clips further into the video...

GGTTH
:flag:

Conrad Gray
01-10-2012, 03:30 PM
Thanks for posting this - cracking stuff.

Hibby Gav
01-10-2012, 03:49 PM
Thanks for posting this - cracking stuff.

Yeah....some excellent memories there and a little tear to a glass eye stuff at the end.... :)

Dan Sarf
01-10-2012, 05:16 PM
Thank you for the link. Magical memories. :flag:

erin-go-bragh87
01-10-2012, 05:21 PM
I know he was a great player but I've never understood how he escapes criticism for going to Celtic? I'm far too you to remember it, this is a genuine question. Is it because of the length of time he played for us before leaving for them?

HIBERNIAN-0762
01-10-2012, 05:36 PM
I know he was a great player but I've never understood how he escapes criticism for going to Celtic? I'm far too you to remember it, this is a genuine question. Is it because of the length of time he played for us before leaving for them?

He was at odds with Turnbull, it's a well known fact that they didn't get on but respected each other, my take on it was that Ned wanted to be Mr Hibs and was miffed with the fans love for him and often singled out Pat in the dressing room after a defeat, the day it happened we played in a meaningless League cup match at Easter Road and then the old high terracing was still there and I just sat on my own on the steps totally numb but at the same time absolutely ****ing raging he had left.

No other player has had the impact on me as a Hibs fan, not even Sauzee (who was great) comes close.

Pat Stanton = God :not worth

Kato
01-10-2012, 06:47 PM
I know he was a great player but I've never understood how he escapes criticism for going to Celtic?

He was 34, it had been made plain to him that his time at ER was at an end and Jock Stein wanted him.

It's not as though he left the club in the lurch at the first opportunity. Stanton had already turned down moves to Celtic at least once and Man U.

.Sean.
01-10-2012, 07:06 PM
How good was he?

Onion
01-10-2012, 07:06 PM
He was at odds with Turnbull, it's a well known fact that they didn't get on but respected each other, my take on it was that Ned wanted to be Mr Hibs and was miffed with the fans love for him and often singled out Pat in the dressing room after a defeat, the day it happened we played in a meaningless League cup match at Easter Road and then the old high terracing was still there and I just sat on my own on the steps totally numb but at the same time absolutely ****ing raging he had left.

No other player has had the impact on me as a Hibs fan, not even Sauzee (who was great) comes close.

Pat Stanton = God :not worth

:agree: I wasn't aware of the background issues at the time but felt just a numb when he signed for Celtic. Couldn't believe it. And getting Jackie Mac in return didn't ease the pain at the time. But then, it was great to see No 4 get the league and cup medals his career richly deserved, even though it wasn't with the Hibs.

Stanton was the type of player and man that could have played at the very highest level with teams much bigger than Hibs, but he chose to bless us with his best years - and was a great example to every young footballer and is a great ambassador for the club.

Kato
01-10-2012, 07:26 PM
How good was he?

"He was better than Bobby Moore."

Hibby Gav
01-10-2012, 07:34 PM
"He was better than Bobby Moore."

And he still loves the club as much now...my son played recently in a charity game, Pat was the 'manager' ..my laddie just talked hibs with him all the time...a true Legend ! :not worth

Hibby 2005
01-10-2012, 09:20 PM

He stayed too long because he loved the club but he did realise the dream that every player has of winning a championship title.

.Sean.
01-10-2012, 10:13 PM
What a superb watch. Thanks a lot for sharing :aok:

Stantons Angel
01-10-2012, 10:14 PM

This is the sort of thing that disappears with time and memories lessen with each generation.

He was "GOD" to the Hibs support at that time. He wore the jersey with total "PRIDE" and led the team with elegance and skill no one else in Scotland could come close too!

Another poster has given an explanation of the way Turnbull seen PAT in the eyes of the fans. He is correct in his assumptions that Turnbull could not compete with Stantons' stature at Hibs. He did not ask to be transferred he was "told" that Jock Stein wanted to speak to him and that he was to go through to Glasgow that day for talks with him. Stein had always been a great admirer of Pat's leadership qualities and his abilities on the park At their meeting Stein told him he was astounded to hear of his availability for transfer and was right in there to take him Westwards! Pat probably felt unwanted and signed for Celtic and went on too win cups and leagues with them, often at Hibs' expense!!

Like other posters i too can remember the awful night it was announced on tv news that Pat was now a Celtic player. Having left home to get a bus to the game that night, i was met by some friends who had gathered to meet me at the bus stop. They broke the news of his leaving to me and i was so upset to see him go and in the way it happened.

Loyalty and respect for Hibs had kept him at Easter Road and this is the way he had been treated.

No tantrums or running to the media telling stories for him though, he kept the head high, got on with the game and showed just what kind of man we all knew he was.

There has never been anybody fit enough to wear that no4 jersey since he left (accept Franck) and as far as im concerned there never will be!

Every new generation of Hibees will learn over again of the "Man they call GOD"!!!

confused
02-10-2012, 04:37 AM
How good was he?
TINA TURNER shouted it "SIMPLY THE BEST "

PeeJay
02-10-2012, 06:38 AM
If you consider the manner in which the club that is Hibs has treated its best players down through the decades, be it Joe Baker, Alex Cropley, Pat Stanton, Alan Gordon or Jimmy O'Rourke - is it any wonder that as a club it has failed to be an achiever at a high level on a frequent basis?

Pat Stanton was a perfect example - supposedly no longer good enough for Hibs - he went on to play for the top team in Scotland and win league championship and cup medals, snapped up by one of Scotland's greatest ever managers who couldn't believe his luck!

JimBHibees
02-10-2012, 01:45 PM
If you consider the manner in which the club that is Hibs has treated its best players down through the decades, be it Joe Baker, Alex Cropley, Pat Stanton, Alan Gordon or Jimmy O'Rourke - is it any wonder that as a club it has failed to be an achiever at a high level on a frequent basis?

Pat Stanton was a perfect example - supposedly no longer good enough for Hibs - he went on to play for the top team in Scotland and win league championship and cup medals, snapped up by one of Scotland's greatest ever managers who couldn't believe his luck!

Kind of criminal the way that team was split up to be honest resulting eventually resulting in relegation not that long after they were brilliant.