PDA

View Full Version : Funky Hibee at Pittodrie

Bowtow
01-10-2012, 09:47 AM
Saturday was my third Aberdeen match recently and I heard something for the first time which made me laugh
and send my 9 year old into hysterics,
There was not much noise from the Aberdeen fans but lots of singing from the hibs fans, then a number of
hibs fans whould try to hush the hibbes by way of sssshhhh and you could quite literally hear a pin drop...
then all of a sudden this guy jumps up and at the top of his voice chants in tune of grandmaster funk....

The sheep, the sheep, the sheep are on FIRE

Anyway whoever you are thanks for making us laugh it kept us cheery on the long drive home,

Thecat23
01-10-2012, 09:59 AM
Did a dons fan not get set a light on a train or something? Sure someone on here could prob clear it up. Either way not the best of chants.

givescotlandfreedom
01-10-2012, 10:05 AM
Did a dons fan not get set a light on a train or something? Sure someone on here could prob clear it up. Either way not the best of chants.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-11084526

It's in bad taste plus every time it emerges, Aberdeen seem to score against us!

Thecat23
01-10-2012, 10:12 AM

It's in bad taste plus every time it emerges, Aberdeen seem to score against us!

Have to agree, Don't see the point in these kind of songs. After all it's a game of football there are 100's of songs to pick from. I prefer the old school Hibs ones.

Geo_1875
01-10-2012, 10:16 AM
Have to agree, Don't see the point in these kind of songs. After all it's a game of football there are 100's of songs to pick from. I prefer the old school Hibs ones.

And songs about Turnbull and slopey pitches mean so much to todays youf.

Thecat23
01-10-2012, 10:20 AM
And songs about Turnbull and slopey pitches mean so much to todays youf.

Wasn't meaning that old. I'm only 34. I'm talking about Glory, Glory, to the Hibees etc.. never joined in with the Mercer song or this song. Each to their own.

Hibercelona
01-10-2012, 10:26 AM
Saturday was my third Aberdeen match recently and I heard something for the first time which made me laugh
There was not much noise from the Aberdeen fans but lots of singing from the hibs fans, then a number of
hibs fans whould try to hush the hibbes by way of sssshhhh and you could quite literally hear a pin drop...
then all of a sudden this guy jumps up and at the top of his voice chants in tune of grandmaster funk....

Anyway whoever you are thanks for making us laugh it kept us cheery on the long drive home,

Awful chant.

Much prefer the sheep shoogling bar-stewards chant myself. :aok:

Albanian Hibs
01-10-2012, 10:35 AM
I preferred the song when it was.."the hibs, the hibs, the hibs are on fire!" when we bet them at todders a couple of decembers ago.

JohnStephens91
01-10-2012, 10:37 AM

Why do people want to make up and then sing songs about incidents like this? Football isn't about that and it most certainly isn't Hibs class to mock a burn victim who could have been killed.

scott7_0(Prague)
01-10-2012, 10:46 AM

Bet you wished you hadn't posted this now. :worms:

Thecat23
01-10-2012, 11:03 AM

I was just about to post the same thing. :greengrin

sauzee's fan
01-10-2012, 11:14 AM
some folk have no sense of humour......quality song GIRFUY to the sheep.

footballs supposed to be fun and have a laugh FFS

:flag::flag::flag:

Thecat23
01-10-2012, 11:19 AM
some folk have no sense of humour......quality song GIRFUY to the sheep.

footballs supposed to be fun and have a laugh FFS

:flag::flag::flag:

"A laugh" having someone set on fire is funny aye? grow up eh.

sauzee's fan
01-10-2012, 11:23 AM
its a song to wide up the opposition fans and humourous.get a grip boring sad cat

Thecat23
01-10-2012, 11:28 AM
its a song to wide up the opposition fans and humourous.get a grip boring sad cat

But it's not though. It's making Hibs fans look classless. there are loads of songs to sing to wind them up but singing about someone set on fire isn't funny. Maybe I am boring!! :cb

JIm
01-10-2012, 11:31 AM
The PC brigade are coming out for this one.

Good atmosphere from the Hibbies on Saturday!

The Sheep, The Sheep, The Sheep are on fire :wink:

Thecat23
01-10-2012, 11:40 AM
The PC brigade are coming out for this one.

Good atmosphere from the Hibbies on Saturday!

The Sheep, The Sheep, The Sheep are on fire :wink:

For the record I'm certainly no PC brigade. I just don't get why signing about people getting hurt is good for the club. I'm not telling folk what to sing up to yourself. Just a song i won't be singing.

Lee0762
01-10-2012, 11:44 AM
Aye the old PC brigade are out in force. When i first read it I burst out laughing and i bet most of you where the same. Harmless, humorous song.:flag::na na:

JIm
01-10-2012, 11:48 AM
For the record I'm certainly no PC brigade. I just don't get why signing about people getting hurt is good for the club. I'm not telling folk what to sing up to yourself. Just a song i won't be singing.

Glad to hear your not PC brigade and for the record despite singing the song i dont think people are trying mock the individual who went up in flames or even wish him any pain of suffering. I think its more an opportunity to try and turn a nasty incident in to something a bit more humerous and light hearted, just seem that people take everything to heart these days.

GGTTH

Thecat23
01-10-2012, 12:03 PM
Glad to hear your not PC brigade and for the record despite singing the song i dont think people are trying mock the individual who went up in flames or even wish him any pain of suffering. I think its more an opportunity to try and turn a nasty incident in to something a bit more humerous and light hearted, just seem that people take everything to heart these days.

GGTTH

I've often have a go at folk who seem to look out for things to moan about. I agree these days people do seem to take a lot to heart. That's the only 2 songs though i'd prob say i don't involve myself in. Fair do's if that's all you sing it for.

wearethehibs
01-10-2012, 12:08 PM
Where was this thread when we sung it for 90mins non stop a few years ago, in the Stokes 2-0 game.

The next season the Aberdeen fans sung it when they won at ER. Just football banter imo

Bowtow
01-10-2012, 12:17 PM

OH NO, ooops... your correct Scott....total Ignorance on my part.

Sorry to everyone if I opened a can of worms, no its not really funny at all,

Ill just crawl back under my stone.

Skanko79
01-10-2012, 12:20 PM
Where was this thread when we sung it for 90mins non stop a few years ago, in the Stokes 2-0 game.

The next season the Aberdeen fans sung it when they won at ER. Just football banter imo

couldnt agree more mate, some of the p1sh you read on here is unreal, all thats wrong with football in the world today if you ask me, some of the stuff i was reading on the other thread about folk genuinley being upset at the sect 43 logo was actually cringeworthy.

Pretty Boy
01-10-2012, 12:22 PM
The PC brigade is becoming a bit like Hitler, as soon as either is mentioned you just know any debate is dead in the water.

.Sean.
01-10-2012, 12:26 PM
'We better stop singing the bad song, somebody might get upset.'

Grow a pair of baws ffs.

Thecat23
01-10-2012, 12:31 PM
The PC brigade is becoming a bit like Hitler, as soon as either is mentioned you just know any debate is dead in the water.

Out of interest what statements that I have made would be under this "PC Brigade" if aimed at me.. Just asking as i've never said don't sing it or you're out of order. Just a song i wouldn't sing and don't think it's shows the club in good light. To me it's not offensive but i just like the songs that encourage the team rather than trying to wind up other fans. I find it funny that if someone doesn't agree over a song they are put in the "PC Brigade" status. That's like me saying only Chav's sing these types of songs!! :wink:

GREEN WARLORD
01-10-2012, 12:35 PM

Glad you posted that, at least the words can now be changed to "The Sheep, The Sheep, The Sheep are so dire", don't won't anyone complaining, especially our own fans :)

Thecat23
01-10-2012, 12:41 PM

Grow a pair of baws ffs.

Listen I never said don't sing it. Sing what you like Sean for all I care. Just a song i wouldn't sing. Jeezo last time i comment on a Hibs song!!!! :cb

FitbaFolkKen
01-10-2012, 01:15 PM

Grow a pair of baws ffs.

Classy response, someone doesn't like singing about a fan being set on fire and they have to "grow a pair of baws ffs". Must make them less manly....:dunno:

marinello59
01-10-2012, 01:21 PM

Grow a pair of baws ffs.

The song doesn't bother me in the slightest. It is however a classic case of something which was funny (for illogical reasons) when it was spontaneous, topical and we were winning on a mad Winters day becomes cringeworthy a couple of years down the line. ( See also singing 'We are the people' when playing the Old Firm. It was funny and worked when we humped Rangers in the cup at Ibrox. Several years down the line it just doesn't work.) It's a bit like repeating the same joke over and over again and expecting to get the same laugh you did the first time.

JIm
01-10-2012, 01:29 PM
The song doesn't bother me in the slightest. It is however a classic case of something which was funny (for illogical reasons) when it was spontaneous, topical and we were winning on a mad Winters day becomes cringeworthy a couple of years down the line. ( See also singing 'We are the people' when playing the Old Firm. It was funny and worked when we humped Rangers in the cup at Ibrox. Several years down the line it just doesn't work.) It's a bit like repeating the same joke over and over again and expecting to get the same laugh you did the first time.

Plenty people seemed to find it funny at the weekend? :dunno:

Out of curiosity were you their?

CB_NO3
01-10-2012, 01:32 PM

I agree with you. Not offensive but a bit dated. Same sort of goes with the Mercer song(s). Thats so cringey now. Its like thats all we have to sing about against Hertz. Its not as if he was even a god to all Hearts fans.

Big Frank
01-10-2012, 01:34 PM

Spot on Peter :top marks

On a total tangent :
Fulton booked for being "ugly" also get right on my thrupennys! It got a quick laugh at the time, but when people reminisce they get all misty eyed like it was a huge part of the history of Hibernian, all the fans in the east, FF, west and dunbar end stopped what they were doing and rolled around laughing for hours, shook hands then went home. Basically a fat radge hertz roaster was harshly booked. The east sang that he was booked for being ugly and the roaster laughed aswell.5 mins later it was forgotten about. Years down the line - its no' that funny :violin:

Chuck Rhoades
01-10-2012, 02:13 PM
Here’s an idea. Why don’t we go to games and sit in complete silence for 90 minutes? We can all wear straight jackets to prevent two finger gestures being branded across the ground and muzzles to ensure we cannot divulge any verbal insults.

In saying that, people still moaning about the way some fans dress/smell etc.

The offence people take to a couple of words is extraordinary.

ronaldo7
01-10-2012, 02:23 PM
Here’s an idea. Why don’t we go to games and sit in complete silence for 90 minutes? We can all wear straight jackets to prevent two finger gestures being branded across the ground and muzzles to ensure we cannot divulge any verbal insults.

**** off:greengrin

marinello59
01-10-2012, 02:30 PM
Plenty people seemed to find it funny at the weekend? :dunno:

Out of curiosity were you their?

What's that got to do with anything? :confused:
It was too far to travel and it was on the telly and it was far too expensive. And I was washing my hair.

_hucks_
01-10-2012, 02:38 PM
A song, about someone being set on fire. A person, actually on fire, as a result of one of our fans, setting fire to him. And not liking that makes you PC brigade? I can't accept that it's 'just football banter' when someone ended up in flames.

Brooster
01-10-2012, 02:51 PM
Great song. Up there with the refugee song, the Edinburgh song and Craig Thomson song. We dont visit other stadiums to make friends and applaud the home team.

Lucius Apuleius
01-10-2012, 02:56 PM
It was too far to travel and it was on the telly and it was far too expensive. And I was washing my hair.

Now we know you are lying!!!! :greengrin

marinello59
01-10-2012, 02:58 PM
Now we know you are lying!!!! :greengrin

Well spotted. The lies were geting bigger as I went along there. That one just took it too far. :greengrin

Posh Swanny
01-10-2012, 02:59 PM
A song, about someone being set on fire. A person, actually on fire, as a result of one of our fans, setting fire to him. And not liking that makes you PC brigade? I can't accept that it's 'just football banter' when someone ended up in flames.

Chill out dude! It's only a laugh. Just a wee bit of banter! Football will be finished if we can't openly sing a song about a guy who received 40% burns and was in hospital for three months at the hands of a fellow Hibee. It's PC gone mad and I bet the bloke finds it just as funny as the rest of us anyway. Let's be honest, we'd be rolling in the aisles if Hearts fans sang a about a Hibee beaten to a pulp by a Jambo. :sarcasmsmilie:

JIm
01-10-2012, 03:07 PM

What you on about?

JIm
01-10-2012, 03:08 PM

Its easy to comment on something when not their is the point i am going to make..................

For all you know Hibs fans could have been having a wee sing off with the Dons fans and enjoying each others banterous songs :wink:

JIm
01-10-2012, 03:19 PM
Great song. Up there with the refugee song, the Edinburgh song and Craig Thomson song. We dont visit other stadiums to make friends and applaud the home team.

Some obviously do :rolleyes:

JIm
01-10-2012, 03:20 PM
Chill out dude! It's only a laugh. Just a wee bit of banter! Football will be finished if we can't openly sing a song about a guy who received 40% burns and was in hospital for three months at the hands of a fellow Hibee. It's PC gone mad and I bet the bloke finds it just as funny as the rest of us anyway. Let's be honest, we'd be rolling in the aisles if Hearts fans sang a about a Hibee beaten to a pulp by a Jambo. :sarcasmsmilie:

Bollox. Was nothing to do with Hibs fans :aok:

marinello59
01-10-2012, 03:21 PM
Its easy to comment on something when not their is the point i am going to make..................
For all you know Hibs fans could have been having a wee sing off with the Dons fans and enjoying each others banterous songs :wink:

I guessed that was what you were going to say. It's not a line I ever take myself, given the attendance on Saturday then there will be many hibs.netters not there.....their view is still valid though.
As it happens I was there............the Dons fans would have had to start singing something in the first place before we could swap banter with them. :greengrin

Pretty Boy
01-10-2012, 03:44 PM
Out of interest what statements that I have made would be under this "PC Brigade" if aimed at me.. Just asking as i've never said don't sing it or you're out of order. Just a song i wouldn't sing and don't think it's shows the club in good light. To me it's not offensive but i just like the songs that encourage the team rather than trying to wind up other fans. I find it funny that if someone doesn't agree over a song they are put in the "PC Brigade" status. That's like me saying only Chav's sing these types of songs!! :wink:

Absolutely not aimed at you.

Aimed at those who bring up the PC brigade as soon as someone objects to something. It's the laziest argument going and as you say I don't see one comment on this thread that could be described as 'pc gone made'. As I say its becoming like the old 'well Hitler tried to do that .....' line. It's repetitive, lazy and kills any sensible debate stone dead.

marinello59
01-10-2012, 03:52 PM
Bollox. Was nothing to do with Hibs fans :aok:

Apart from the fact it was Hibs fan that did it that is.:greengrin
It wasn't a malicious act though, more like a drunken prank that went horribly wrong.

wearethehibs
01-10-2012, 03:52 PM
Baaaaaa

Hibercelona
01-10-2012, 04:06 PM
Don't really condone the chant myself.

I'm sure the guy suffered serious burns from the accident and i'm pretty sure he isn't laughing when he hears people singing it.

It's always "light banter" when you aren't the victim.

Thecat23
01-10-2012, 04:30 PM
Absolutely not aimed at you.

Aimed at those who bring up the PC brigade as soon as someone objects to something. It's the laziest argument going and as you say I don't see one comment on this thread that could be described as 'pc gone made'. As I say its becoming like the old 'well Hitler tried to do that .....' line. It's repetitive, lazy and kills any sensible debate stone dead.

That's the thing mate, some come on here and instead of debating it they come out with smart arse comments like "grow a pair" for me that ends any credible debate. Folk don't actually read the posts properly as another said let's sit and be quiet etc.. I'm not saying be quiet I don't think anyone is but why can't we stick to Hibs songs? Again I'm not offended its a song I choose not to sing. All I'm saying Is I like when the crowd are behind the team and not spending most of it screaming like wee laddies trying to get one up on them!

Viva_Palmeiras
01-10-2012, 04:58 PM

Post number 24 - not bad...

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin's_law
:wink:

fat freddy
01-10-2012, 06:42 PM
did the sheep survive being set alight?...i only ask as i set my cat on fire once and he still hasn't forgiven me..

.Sean.
01-10-2012, 06:59 PM

Correct mate.

S, completely agree. Some Hibs fans are soft as *****.

marinello59
01-10-2012, 07:08 PM
Correct mate.

Ooooooo you are sooooooooooo hard. :greengrin
I think Brooster was being sarcastic. Anybody seriously suggesting the Edinburgh song is in any way acceptable should just stay away.

FitbaFolkKen
01-10-2012, 07:21 PM
Correct mate.

Wow....i'll happily be soft as ***** if it means i'm not racist.

SRHibs
01-10-2012, 07:26 PM
Correct mate.

Surely Brooster is being facetious here. I'm pretty sure you're trolling anyway.

Here's an idea, why don't you sing about football? Not about dead people, people getting burnt alive, refugees etc. Just sing about football. It's an odd concept, isn't it?

JIm
01-10-2012, 07:40 PM
Apart from the fact it was Hibs fan that did it that is.:greengrin
It wasn't a malicious act though, more like a drunken prank that went horribly wrong.

My bad :aok:

JIm
01-10-2012, 07:41 PM
Surely Brooster is being facetious here. I'm pretty sure you're trolling anyway.

Here's an idea, why don't you sing about football? Not about dead people, people getting burnt alive, refugees etc. Just sing about football. It's an odd concept, isn't it?

Whether being facetious or not it does bring up a good point, are we too soft as a support? I think yes.

HibeeN
01-10-2012, 07:43 PM

I don't think anybody is saying that at all. I can't speak for every fan, but personally I enjoy the atmosphere more when the fans are positive and get behind the team. You yourself and Section 43 have played and continue to play a huge part in making Easter Road an enjoyable place to come to for Hibs fans. I don't care about making Easter Road intimidating and hostile for away supporters or players - I don't care about what they think at all. For me, I'll always prefer the home fans getting behind the team and I hope the positive atmosphere around Easter Road does not change any time soon out of some desire to intimidate or wind-up away fans. I enjoy a wee sing-song at their expense as much as anyone else, but I'd rather concentrate on us rather than anyone else.

marinello59
01-10-2012, 07:49 PM
Whether being facetious or not it does bring up a good point, are we too soft as a support? I think yes.

In what way? The Hibs support on Saturday was more than decent and got right behind the team even when we were behind. I don't see that as being soft.
Unless you equate being generally obnoxious as somehow being hard. (I am sure you are not by the way.)

JIm
01-10-2012, 07:55 PM
In what way? The Hibs support on Saturday was more than decent and got right behind the team even when we were behind. I don't see that as being soft.
Unless you equate being generally obnoxious as somehow being hard. (I am sure you are not by the way.)

I think having a big vocal support intimidates players whether it is positive singing or not. Remember when Mcleish, Mowbray etc were in charge we had singing all over the stadium, that just doesnt seem to happen anymore..............although theres been a few moments in recent games.

I think players should hate coming to play at easter road and to be honest i dont really care about the away fans either. The crowd should be as loud and intimidating as possible and really make it as unenjoyable for away players/fans whilst 100% getting behind the team throughout the whole game (as we did on Saturday).

JohnStephens91
01-10-2012, 07:56 PM

Exactly, it is not an acceptable wind up to sing about a fan being set on fire while dressed as a sheep, much like it wouldn't be acceptable to hear the Aberdeen fans sing about the time their hooligan element put a young boy in a comatose state back in the 80's. There are plenty of other things to be done to rile up the opposition fans rather than sing about misfortunes that have happened to other people.

Also for the record why do the people who say these chants are alright decide that if these songs aren't being sung then we should be sitting in silence? I've never seen such an poor attempt to respond to what could have been a reasoned debate on an issue that people obviously feel strongly about.

Big Frank
01-10-2012, 08:01 PM
Correct mate.

Make your mind up Sean!

Whilst your doing that, here is a wee quiz. Which poster, in a couple of recent threads on songs sung at Hibs matches posted ;

"The Mercer and Thomson songs are absolutely cringeworthy. Honestly.

Not only are you embarassing yourselves but you embarass the rest of us. Give it a rest. The only negative of an otherwise positive day. Most of it seemed to be emanating from the singing section golden boys. "

and ;

" I cringe at 'Edinburgh Hibees, the Tim Malloys'

absolutely embarassing"

:confused::I'm waiti

marinello59
01-10-2012, 08:03 PM
I think having a big vocal support intimidates players whether it is positive singing or not. Remember when Mcleish, Mowbray etc were in charge we had singing all over the stadium, that just doesnt seem to happen anymore..............although theres been a few moments in recent games.

I think players should hate coming to play at easter road and to be honest i dont really care about the away fans either. The crowd should be as loud and intimidating as possible and really make it as unenjoyable for away players/fans whilst 100% getting behind the team throughout the whole game (as we did on Saturday).

We were playing entertaining fitba. it helps.
I agree with a lot of what you say there but if songs are also winding up our own support then it ain't really helping is it? I enjoy the more robust banter between fans but it really needs a hefty dose of humour thrown in. Some of the songs mentioned on this thread totally lack any redeeming wit, at least one is plainly unacceptable.
It is a shame that a really positive support at Pittodrie has generated this thread though. We are a strange ''family'' at times. :greengrin

JIm
01-10-2012, 08:13 PM
We were playing entertaining fitba. it helps.
I agree with a lot of what you say there but if songs are also winding up our own support then it ain't really helping is it? I enjoy the more robust banter between fans but it really needs a hefty dose of humour thrown in. Some of the songs mentioned on this thread totally lack any redeeming wit, at least one is plainly unacceptable.
It is a shame that a really positive support at Pittodrie has generated this thread though. We are a strange ''family'' at times. :greengrin

To be honest it seemed like banter, there was nothing malicious in the singing as you are aware and it was hard to even tell anyone was upset by the song.

For the record i dont think the difference in success should determine how vocal a support is. May sound crazy but any good support throughout the world is vocal no matter how good or bad their team is (Germany, Greece, Turkey, South America etc).

Great to see teh Alee Alay I Oh song starting to catch on. The whole support singing this and bouncing away would be some sight.

.Sean.
01-10-2012, 08:25 PM
Make your mind up Sean!

:confused::I'm waiti

Well, I caught a few.

SRHibs
01-10-2012, 08:31 PM
Well, I caught a few.

You must be so proud of yourself.

SRHibs
01-10-2012, 08:33 PM

Why do you think 'yes'? Can you give me some examples of songs that are frowned upon, but that you see as perfectly OK?

FitbaFolkKen
01-10-2012, 08:44 PM
Well, I caught a few.

Nice bit of trolling there if thats the case. Good job.

Johnny0762
01-10-2012, 08:47 PM
Exactly, it is not an acceptable wind up to sing about a fan being set on fire while dressed as a sheep, much like it wouldn't be acceptable to hear the Aberdeen fans sing about the time their hooligan element put a young boy in a comatose state back in the 80's. There are plenty of other things to be done to rile up the opposition fans rather than sing about misfortunes that have happened to other people.

Also for the record why do the people who say these chants are alright decide that if these songs aren't being sung then we should be sitting in silence? I've never seen such an poor attempt to respond to what could have been a reasoned debate on an issue that people obviously feel strongly about.

Riordan thread. :greengrin

Thecat23
01-10-2012, 09:02 PM
I still can't believe how a proper debate on this gets turned into guys who just slate you for being soft, or telling you to grow a set. Yet still haven't came up with why they think this helps Hibs? Does it make you feel hard serious question? Last season at the end when we thumped Dunfermline 4-0 the whole ground was behind the team signing HIBEES, HIBEES, HIBEES.. For example. Considering we're known as a family club I know what I would prefer to hear sung.

Hold just checking if I still have balls... Yep funnily enough I do!! Mad that. So instead of coming out with ridiculous statements against other posters back up your reason for singing a crap song!!

frazeHFC
01-10-2012, 09:07 PM
I still can't believe how a proper debate on this gets turned into guys who just slate you for being soft, or telling you to grow a set. Yet still haven't came up with why they think this helps Hibs? Does it make you feel hard serious question? Last season at the end when we thumped Dunfermline 4-0 the whole ground was behind the team signing HIBEES, HIBEES, HIBEES.. For example. Considering we're known as a family club I know what I would prefer to hear sung.

Hold just checking if I still have balls... Yep funnily enough I do!! Mad that. So instead of coming out with ridiculous statements against other posters back up your reason for singing a crap song!!

Most songs sung are backing the team, but i also like the odd song that winds up the opposition. Most people spent a good £30+ going up to support the team, don't think anyone can be slated for a rendition of "the sheep are on fire", especially as even their fans were singing it last season at ER after a goal.

Thecat23
01-10-2012, 09:11 PM
Most songs sung are backing the team, but i also like the odd song that winds up the opposition. Most people spent a good £30+ going up to support the team, don't think anyone can be slated for a rendition of "the sheep are on fire", especially as even their fans were singing it last season at ER after a goal.

Missing my point though Fraze. No one was slating them it was just said others prefer not to sing it including myself, then for some reason we're soft and have no balls. without any actual debate why they sing it. I'm all for banter too but I fail to see the point in that song!!

Chuck Rhoades
01-10-2012, 09:12 PM

You're the one that's going on and on. We get it, that song isn't the cleverest/best.

SRHibs
01-10-2012, 09:17 PM

And do you think the context was the same in both cases? If it was, it's just as abhorrent coming from the Aberdeen fan's to be honest, and for me that is not a justification.

How far are you willing to stretch that logic? "Oh, he spent £30 travelling to go and see the Hibees, so he's entitled to be a little bit racist." This isn't another "uber fan" thing. Regardless of how much you've spent, the song is still messed up.

Thecat23
01-10-2012, 09:17 PM
You're the one that's going on and on. We get it, that song isn't the cleverest/best.

I'll keep going on till I get an answer after the digs folk had.. Glad you get it though.

GGTTH07
01-10-2012, 09:38 PM
It's banter. When we are winning against them we sing it and vice versa.

Johnny0762
01-10-2012, 10:11 PM
I know exactly whom the OP was referring to. Guess who the guy who let out the chant is? :pfgwa

JohnStephens91
01-10-2012, 11:03 PM
This has been blown out of proportion, the best moment of the day in the stands was when the older man stood up and half chanted, half whispered 'Can you hear the Dandies song?'

frazeHFC
01-10-2012, 11:04 PM
This has been blown out of proportion, the best moment of the day in the stands was when the older man stood up and half chanted, half whispered 'Can you hear the Dandies song?'

:hilarious :thumbsup:

silverhibee
01-10-2012, 11:04 PM
I know exactly whom the OP was referring to. Guess who the guy who let out the chant is? :pfgwa

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0SDXHC69DI :dunno:

FitbaFolkKen
01-10-2012, 11:53 PM

No idea...you?

Lucius Apuleius
02-10-2012, 05:39 AM
Bit of a strange situation this. People wanting the whole support to be jumping and bouncing and some of these same guys defending songs that others are saying they won't sing. Cannae have it both ways.

marinello59
02-10-2012, 06:11 AM
Bit of a strange situation this. People wanting the whole support to be jumping and bouncing and some of these same guys defending songs that others are saying they won't sing. Cannae have it both ways.

Even stranger given that the whole support was united on Saturday, the chant being discussed took up a few seconds at most. Some joined in, some laughed, some shrugged their shoulders. Sometimes we have too much time to think on here. :greengrin

Lucius Apuleius
02-10-2012, 06:26 AM
Even stranger given that the whole support was united on Saturday, the chant being discussed took up a few seconds at most. Some joined in, some laughed, some shrugged their shoulders. Sometimes we have too much time to think on here. :greengrin

Absolutely correct M59. Also some people think they can think when realistically they are deluded.

Johnforr
02-10-2012, 05:40 PM
The funniest chant I've heard in a long time on Sat at Todders ........ while Aberdeen mascot Angus The Bull was in front of the Hibees was ........ You're supposed to be a sheep ...you're supposed to be a sheep ..... utterly hilarious !!

beensaidbefore
02-10-2012, 06:09 PM

Why should anybody have to justify the song they choose to sing to the thought police on this website? I think a lot of folk on here need to get off theor high horses and accept that people enjoy going to the football for different reasons. Banter and winding up the opposition are all party of the game and enjoyment for many people. Those who dont agree with this and think these guys are plonkers need to recognise that others probably see you as a plonker, and thats life. Unless there is a contract issued outlining exactly what you can and cant do, people are going to behave in a manner that others don't see befitting a football match. Who is right??

As a side issue, Youve Been Framed has been on tv for as long as i can remember, a large percentage, and often the most funny are the ones where people get hurt or injur themselves...is it ok to laugh at this? If so why?

Keith_M
02-10-2012, 07:02 PM
Why should anybody have to justify the song they choose to sing to the thought police on this website? I think a lot of folk on here need to get off theor high horses...

I think you raise a number of important questions:

Are the Thought Police the same thing as the PC Brigade?
Or is it a bit like the Judean People's Front and People's Front of Judea situation?
Do the Thought Police and the PC Brigade all have horses?
Just how high do their horses have to be before you're allowed to join one or other of the two groups?
Which group is most important, or does that all depend on the height of their horse?

I demand clarity on the situation. People have the right to know!

:rules:

beensaidbefore
02-10-2012, 07:55 PM
I think you raise a number of important questions:

Are the Thought Police the same thing as the PC Brigade?
Or is it a bit like the Judean People's Front and People's Front of Judea situation?
Do the Thought Police and the PC Brigade all have horses?
Just how high do their horses have to be before you're allowed to join one or other of the two groups?
Which group is most important, or does that all depend on the height of their horse?

I demand clarity on the situation. People have the right to know!

:rules:

The thought police are by far the worst of the two. Not only are they in cahoots with the PC brigade, they are actually controlling their thoughts and keyboards. They use tactics akin to playground bully-boy tactics and name calling when people dont agree with their utopian dream they falsely believe is shared by everyone.
Re the horses, the general rule seems to be that over-reaction is proportionate to the size of their horse.

Hope this clears things up...

wearethehibs
02-10-2012, 08:10 PM
http://today.ucla.edu/portal/ut/artwork/7/9/1/6/6/179166/the-fire-sheep-talks.jpg

SRHibs
02-10-2012, 08:36 PM
Why should anybody have to justify the song they choose to sing to the thought police on this website? I think a lot of folk on here need to get off theor high horses and accept that people enjoy going to the football for different reasons. Banter and winding up the opposition are all party of the game and enjoyment for many people. Those who dont agree with this and think these guys are plonkers need to recognise that others probably see you as a plonker, and thats life. Unless there is a contract issued outlining exactly what you can and cant do, people are going to behave in a manner that others don't see befitting a football match. Who is right??

As a side issue, Youve Been Framed has been on tv for as long as i can remember, a large percentage, and often the most funny are the ones where people get hurt or injur themselves...is it ok to laugh at this? If so why?

They don't have to justify anything, but if you sing things that are potentially seen as socially unacceptable then you're going to have people questioning you, and seeking your reasoning. The rules - both literal laws and moral rules - of the world don't change inside of a football ground.

FitbaFolkKen
02-10-2012, 08:37 PM
Why should anybody have to justify the song they choose to sing to the thought police on this website? I think a lot of folk on here need to get off theor high horses and accept that people enjoy going to the football for different reasons.

Because it is a case of what is and isn't deemed socially acceptable. What you have said there is that people go for different reasons, some for the football, others to be racists, homophobes etc....

Pete
03-10-2012, 12:11 AM

Totally agree

Thecat23
03-10-2012, 06:48 AM
The thought police are by far the worst of the two. Not only are they in cahoots with the PC brigade, they are actually controlling their thoughts and keyboards. They use tactics akin to playground bully-boy tactics and name calling when people dont agree with their utopian dream they falsely believe is shared by everyone.
Re the horses, the general rule seems to be that over-reaction is proportionate to the size of their horse.

Hope this clears things up...

"Name calling when people don't agree?" What are you on about? Check back the only name calling where from posters who sang the song. Folk like myself just asked a valid question and never called anyone anything, Then you come on and also have a go!! Bit ironic really don't you think? Considering I have never once in this thread said to others what to sing or can't sing I think you my friend need to get of your so called "high horse".

Hibernia Na Eir
03-10-2012, 06:52 AM
flaming heck, what's the problem ;)

Thecat23
03-10-2012, 06:54 AM
flaming heck, what's the problem ;)

That actually made me laugh out loud!! :D

beensaidbefore
03-10-2012, 08:13 PM
"Name calling when people don't agree?" What are you on about? Check back the only name calling where from posters who sang the song. Folk like myself just asked a valid question and never called anyone anything, Then you come on and also have a go!! Bit ironic really don't you think? Considering I have never once in this thread said to others what to sing or can't sing I think you my friend need to get of your so called "high horse".

Sorry you've taken offence. It wasn't directed to you in particular.

The way i see it, there are far too many threads that appear on this site where people disagree with the OP and then hijack the thread to tell the poster how out of order he is. Some of the stuff iv seen on here has been way OTT, and i dont get why people dont just read a thread that they have an interest in rather than destroying a thread that many other people might enjoy. There seems to be mob rule sensorship and ridicule of those who dare to post anything mildly offensive, often replying offensively to the poster, which seems to be accepted? Its a bit like people who watch a whole tv programme so they can complain how offended they were by it, rather than just changing channel.

beensaidbefore
03-10-2012, 08:26 PM
Because it is a case of what is and isn't deemed socially acceptable. What you have said there is that people go for different reasons, some for the football, others to be racists, homophobes etc....

I think you will find that I haven't posted anywhere, that some people go to the football to be racists or homophobes. What i did say was banter. I think your post gives an insight into what you may consider banter.

some folk go for a sing and jump about, some like to sit quiet, some go with mates, some go with family, young, old, men, women, and everything inbetween all attend the football. Are you telling me they all go looking to have the same experience or for exactly the same reason? Football is the central theme yes, but apart from that, people get enjoyment from the matchday experience for different reasons. I dont believe its for people on here to decide for other people whats right and whats wrong. Who makes them the judge? Unless of course they are trying to be the 'thought police'.

beensaidbefore
03-10-2012, 08:37 PM
They don't have to justify anything, but if you sing things that are potentially seen as socially unacceptable then you're going to have people questioning you, and seeking your reasoning. The rules - both literal laws and moral rules - of the world don't change inside of a football ground.

I agree. But i think its up to people who witness incidents that are socially unacceptable to intervene at the time. The OP said he witnessed it and he thought it was amusing, as did many others. If people were offended at the time they should have spoken up. Now there are lots of posters reading this, 'getting on their high horse', and posting in retaliation to the OP. Im asking these people to take a look at themselves and ask why am I letting this bother me, I didn't witness it? Its like the Jonathan Ross getting sacked/leaving BBC saga, more complaints than listners to his show, WTF is that all about. Why do pepole feel they have to chip in their tuppence worth?

Johnny0762
03-10-2012, 08:43 PM
I think Aberdeen fans sing vile songs about the Huns. Fact. Get on with it folks.

beensaidbefore
03-10-2012, 10:51 PM

See Congrats derek riordan thread, post 24. sums up what i was on about.

GraniteCityHibs
04-10-2012, 08:23 AM
I was in the Richard Donald Stand in the comfy seats with the wife, my brother and his missus!

His mrs leaned over after that song and asked why we were singing about sheep. I had to explain what the song was and then what the background to it was. Felt a bit of an idiot trying while saying that our fans sang songs like that.

Poor taste and I don't really think it paints the club in the best light!

Also, agree that anytime it's sung it backfires on us. they score and then end up singing it back to us!

(as a side note My brothers Mrs is now a member of the James McPake fan club! I explained the collective man crush that the Hibs fans have for him....not his looks, I had to point out, but just for his character and general style of play. She agreed that 'he certainly seems to be the only one throwing himself aboot!') :jmcp:

Johnny0762
04-10-2012, 10:53 AM
I was in the Richard Donald Stand in the comfy seats with the wife, my brother and his missus!

His mrs leaned over after that song and asked why we were singing about sheep. I had to explain what the song was and then what the background to it was. Felt a bit of an idiot trying while saying that our fans sang songs like that.

Poor taste and I don't really think it paints the club in the best light!

Also, agree that anytime it's sung it backfires on us. they score and then end up singing it back to us!

(as a side note My brothers Mrs is now a member of the James McPake fan club! I explained the collective man crush that the Hibs fans have for him....not his looks, I had to point out, but just for his character and general style of play. She agreed that 'he certainly seems to be the only one throwing himself aboot!') :jmcp:

She'll cream herself when she sees him have his usual better game.

allezsauzee
04-10-2012, 10:55 AM
As usual the PC brigade are out in force as soon as a slightly inflammatory chant is debated. Soon enough we'll have a game with no tackling, no winding up the opposition fans and we'll all be able to catch up on our sleep at 3pm on a Saturday...or whenever the TV companies decide

Chuck Rhoades
04-10-2012, 11:28 AM
As usual the PC brigade are out in force as soon as a slightly inflammatory chant is debated. Soon enough we'll have a game with no tackling, no winding up the opposition fans and we'll all be able to catch up on our sleep at 3pm on a Saturday...or whenever the TV companies decide

What he said.

FitbaFolkKen
04-10-2012, 07:34 PM
I think you will find that I haven't posted anywhere, that some people go to the football to be racists or homophobes. What i did say was banter. I think your post gives an insight into what you may consider banter.

some folk go for a sing and jump about, some like to sit quiet, some go with mates, some go with family, young, old, men, women, and everything inbetween all attend the football. Are you telling me they all go looking to have the same experience or for exactly the same reason? Football is the central theme yes, but apart from that, people get enjoyment from the matchday experience for different reasons. I dont believe its for people on here to decide for other people whats right and whats wrong. Who makes them the judge? Unless of course they are trying to be the 'thought police'.

No i don't consider racism banter, but thanks for your implication. You inferred that folk go for different experiences so we shouldn't critique what is sung. Yet some of the songs mentioned over this thread and others recently, WM thread etc... would be considered completely socially unacceptable should they be sung anywhere else. That is where i got my insight, the actual songs that have been mentioned. I agree people go for different reasons however regardless of some of the posts about the thought police and PC brigade, the use of these phrases is to demean the posters in question.

Can I ask why you don't think it is ok for the general public to comment on what they deem is acceptable behaviour in a public environment?

FitbaFolkKen
04-10-2012, 07:36 PM
I think Aberdeen fans sing vile songs about the Huns. Fact. Get on with it folks.

Thats fine then! Let's stoop to their level.

beensaidbefore
05-10-2012, 01:31 PM
No i don't consider racism banter, but thanks for your implication. You inferred that folk go for different experiences so we shouldn't critique what is sung. Yet some of the songs mentioned over this thread and others recently, WM thread etc... would be considered completely socially unacceptable should they be sung anywhere else. That is where i got my insight, the actual songs that have been mentioned. I agree people go for different reasons however regardless of some of the posts about the thought police and PC brigade, the use of these phrases is to demean the posters in question.

Can I ask why you don't think it is ok for the general public to comment on what they deem is acceptable behaviour in a public environment?

I think people are entitled to comment, but its the manner in which the comments are made and the frequency of them that irks me. As i previously posted, youv been framed is great saturday night tv for all the family. hahahaha, look at that old lady falling and smashing her face hahahahah. one man singing a song about the misfortunes of another man, lets all jump on the pc bandwagon. Although some of the stuff is deemed socially unacceptable, who made the rules? And why is it upto posters on here to enforce these rules that quite clearly, not everybody agrees with? What we must accept is we are all individuals who view the world differently, and most of that is influenced by our upbringing and surroundings, so the views you dont agree with are views of real people who are equally entitled to have an opinion. Who decides whos correct? in my mind its the PC brigade.

marinello59
05-10-2012, 01:43 PM
[/B]I think people are entitled to comment, but its the manner in which the comments are made and the frequency of them that irks me. As i previously posted, youv been framed is great saturday night tv for all the family. hahahaha, look at that old lady falling and smashing her face hahahahah. one man singing a song about the misfortunes of another man, lets all jump on the pc bandwagon. Although some of the stuff is deemed socially unacceptable, who made the rules? And why is it upto posters on here to enforce these rules that quite clearly, not everybody agrees with? What we must accept is we are all individuals who view the world differently, and most of that is influenced by our upbringing and surroundings, so the views you dont agree with are views of real people who are equally entitled to have an opinion. Who decides whos correct? in my mind its the PC brigade.

Define just what the the PC brigade is? People who denounce racism? Do they constitute the PC brigade? People who find child abuse funny and worthy of 'witty' banter at the football? Where do you draw the line?

beensaidbefore
05-10-2012, 01:58 PM
Define just what the the PC brigade is? People who denounce racism? Do they constitute the PC brigade? People who find child abuse funny and worthy of 'witty' banter at the football? Where do you draw the line?

For me the PC brigade are those who try to enforce their views on the rest of us, and imply that those with differing views, are in someway a less developed or backward thinking person. Where do we draw the line? Is it acceptable for an indian or pakistani family to insit on an arranged marriage? is this a form of racism? If someone says I only want my kids to marry Scottish people, is this racist? Is it ok to offend bald or ginger people based on their 'funny' appearance? Change ginger or bald to black and it changes they dynamic of the insult completely. Who decides? Im not justifying racism before someone starts, my point is that some people are fair game, and not afforded the same protection as other sectins of society. What makes this acceptable, and why is it tollerated on here?

marinello59
05-10-2012, 02:13 PM
For me the PC brigade are those who try to enforce their views on the rest of us, and imply that those with differing views, are in someway a less developed or backward thinking person. Where do we draw the line? Is it acceptable for an indian or pakistani family to insit on an arranged marriage? is this a form of racism? If someone says I only want my kids to marry Scottish people, is this racist? Is it ok to offend bald or ginger people based on their 'funny' appearance? Change ginger or bald to black and it changes they dynamic of the insult completely. Who decides? Im not justifying racism before someone starts, my point is that some people are fair game, and not afforded the same protection as other sectins of society. What makes this acceptable, and why is it tollerated on here?
You mean like suggesting that dodgy chants should not be challenged for instance? :greengrin
You didn't answer my question. Where do you draw the line at what is acceptable to be sung at football?

beensaidbefore
05-10-2012, 02:31 PM
You mean like suggesting that dodgy chants should not be challenged for instance? :greengrin
You didn't answer my question. Where do you draw the line at what is acceptable to be sung at football?

I dont think its up to me to draw a line. If I disargeed with a song i would either refuse to sing it or stand up and challenge it at the time. I wouldn't wait to read second hand information and then make a judgement, as i don't know the context/reaction/provacation for such a song, along with many of the posters on this thread. I accept that people are going to have different opinions regarding what they see is acceptable at football and in society in general. The reality of the situation is, and the point i was trying to make, who is in the position to decide what is/isn't acceptable? Especially when there is no law broken. My understanding of this chant is there was no racist/homophobic/xenophobic elemnt to this chant, and for that reason there is an over reaction. Admittedly, it may been seen as bad taste to laugh at the injury of another human, but like iv said. Youv been framed etc seems to be ok. double standards imo

Chuck Rhoades
05-10-2012, 02:34 PM

Where do you think the line is?

It's football, we play against an opposition, rivalries are built and so wind-up/taunting chants are sung and probably have been since the game began.

The fact people do not expect this at Football is more worrying.

Chuck Rhoades
05-10-2012, 02:36 PM

I dont think its up to me to draw a line. If I disargeed with a song i would either refuse to sing it or stand up and challenge it at the time. I wouldn't wait to read second hand information and then make a judgement, as i don't know the context/reaction/provacation for such a song, along with many of the posters on this thread. I accept that people are going to have different opinions regarding what they see is acceptable at football and in society in general. The reality of the situation is, and the point i was trying to make, who is in the position to decide what is/isn't acceptable? Especially when there is no law broken. My understanding of this chant is there was no racist/homophobic/xenophobic elemnt to this chant, and for that reason there is an over reaction. Admittedly, it may been seen as bad taste to laugh at the injury of another human, but like iv said. Youv been framed etc seems to be ok. double standards imo

Spot on. People are far too happy to sit behind a computer screen and slate members, threads, posts, chants etc. Do they stand up and argue/defend themselves during the game - probably not. It's far too easy to do on a computer.

If it's not a rubbish performance it will be a fan, chant, hair cut, twitter remark etc. There will always be something. These people are best ignored, rather than rising to it and taking the bait.

marinello59
05-10-2012, 02:45 PM

So there is your line then. If Racist songs were sung at a Hibs match and there were some on here trying to defend them wouldn't you at least feel that was worthy of challenging?
I was there and I didn't mind the chant. I can see why others feel it crosses some boundary though so it is worth discussing. Dismissing those who disagree with me as being part of the PC Brigade wouuld be lazy and largely meaningless.
As to who makes the rules, if the vast majority of members of society find something unacceptable then it is. I would suggest in this case if the vast majority of Hibernian fans find it unacceptable then it is. I can remember when it was Ok for Hibs fans to sing various irish Republican ditties on the terracing. That didn't die out because they were illegal, (they weren't) but because they gradually came to be seen as not suitable for a football match. It all comes down to consensus and we only achieve that by having a debate in the first place.

beensaidbefore
05-10-2012, 02:46 PM
[QUOTE=beensaidbefore;3374634]

Spot on. People are far too happy to sit behind a computer screen and slate members, threads, posts, chants etc. Do they stand up and argue/defend themselves during the game - probably not. It's far too easy to do on a computer.

If it's not a rubbish performance it will be a fan, chant, hair cut, twitter remark etc. There will always be something. These people are best ignored, rather than rising to it and taking the bait.

exactly, maybe it would have ben more effective to label them 'Keyboard Warriors' as opposed to througt police or Pc brigade. The fact that people are happy to witness things they are offended by and not react until they are behind the safety of a keyboard, is a real shame, and are just as bad as the perpetrators of the 'offensive' behaviour.

marinello59
05-10-2012, 02:50 PM
[QUOTE=beensaidbefore;3374634]

Perhaps we should ban opinion and debate from here then? :wink:

HibeeN
05-10-2012, 03:07 PM
exactly, maybe it would have ben more effective to label them 'Keyboard Warriors' as opposed to througt police or Pc brigade. The fact that people are happy to witness things they are offended by and not react until they are behind the safety of a keyboard, is a real shame, and are just as bad as the perpetrators of the 'offensive' behaviour.

Hibs.net is a forum though - a place of discussion. It's the type of place where songs like this can be debated calmly and reasonably (in theory :greengrin) whereas at a football game you've got no guarantee that the person you tell to pipe down isn't going to get annoyed and start trouble.

I wasn't at Aberdeen, and can't say I find the song particularly offensive, but I do think it's in bad taste and I would rather we concentrated on getting behind our own team. And we can be quite hypocritical about it too. I think quite a lot of Hibs fans didn't like the opposition support singing about Dean Shiels only having one eye, or about Tony Mowbray's dead wife etc. Okay, these songs might not be racist or homophobic but I don't think they have any place at a football match.

Aside from anything else, if we're wanting to create a better atmosphere, surely it's better to sing Hibs songs that everyone will join in with?

Mon Dieu4
05-10-2012, 04:21 PM
Hibs.net is a forum though - a place of discussion. It's the type of place where songs like this can be debated calmly and reasonably (in theory :greengrin) whereas at a football game you've got no guarantee that the person you tell to pipe down isn't going to get annoyed and start trouble.

I wasn't at Aberdeen, and can't say I find the song particularly offensive, but I do think it's in bad taste and I would rather we concentrated on getting behind our own team. And we can be quite hypocritical about it too. I think quite a lot of Hibs fans didn't like the opposition support singing about Dean Shiels only having one eye, or about Tony Mowbray's dead wife etc. Okay, these songs might not be racist or homophobic but I don't think they have any place at a football match.

Aside from anything else, if we're wanting to create a better atmosphere, surely it's better to sing Hibs songs that everyone will join in with?

boooo stop being so sensible

HibeeN
05-10-2012, 04:23 PM
boooo stop being so sensible

:na na:

Mon Dieu4
05-10-2012, 04:28 PM
:na na:

you are of course right though, you are like a young Yoda haha