PDA

View Full Version : Treatment from Police/Stewards/Away Club

JIm
30-09-2012, 02:21 PM
Have been monitoring this alot recently as nothing seems to be simple these days and football fans are treated like the lowest of the low.

This season i have been refused entry in to Tannadice because the supporters bus flag was too big and did not comply with Dundee Utds flag policy, twice we were asked by police yesterday to take our flag out so they could consider whether it was to be allowed in to Pittodrie yesterday (once outside and again inside).

Constantly people get hassled for standing (was ok yesterday) and no drinking allowed on buses (probably the only sport in the UK where this is the case).

It appears to me that the police and football clubs are trying to ruin the match day experience all over the UK and its a real shame. Lets just look at atmospheres in grounds where this is pretty evident.

Surely its about time that football fans claimed our game back.

Just curious what other peoples thoughts are. What do you think fans can do to get back to the glory days of big crowds, lively atmosphere and an all encompassing more enjoyable day out?

Credit where credits due to groups like Sect43 for some innovative ideas. I personally feel for them with the amount of hurdles that clubs and the police put in their way.

hibIBZ
30-09-2012, 02:31 PM
dont really understand the arguement for standing in seated areas or drinking on buses as both are illegal

Johnny0762
30-09-2012, 02:37 PM
Have been monitoring this alot recently as nothing seems to be simple these days and football fans are treated like the lowest of the low.

This season i have been refused entry in to Tannadice because the supporters bus flag was too big and did not comply with Dundee Utds flag policy, twice we were asked by police yesterday to take our flag out so they could consider whether it was to be allowed in to Pittodrie yesterday (once outside and again inside).

Constantly people get hassled for standing (was ok yesterday) and no drinking allowed on buses (probably the only sport in the UK where this is the case).

It appears to me that the police and football clubs are trying to ruin the match day experience all over the UK and its a real shame. Lets just look at atmospheres in grounds where this is pretty evident.

Surely its about time that football fans claimed our game back.

Just curious what other peoples thoughts are. What do you think fans can do to get back to the glory days of big crowds, lively atmosphere and an all encompassing more enjoyable day out?

Credit where credits due to groups like Sect43 for some innovative ideas. I personally feel for them with the amount of hurdles that clubs and the police put in their way.

Are you a bus convenor? I hope not mate.

Let's look at some facts....

1) It is ILLEGAL to stand at a Scottish football match.

If there are no safety issues then this has become a point of contention where many club officials are prepared to tolerate it, as it's what many fans want. Attempting to get fans back into SPL grounds will always see clubs and officials looking at new things. Hence why there are ongoing discussions about creating designated standing areas.

For the present, this will be seen as an unofficial trial.

2) It is the duty of Police and stewards to make sure that flags are of no danger to the fans, including size for a specific stadium, and most importantly that they are fire ******ant.

How would you feel if your child got his face and hands badly burned at a football match all because some twat smoking a fag set a big surfing flag alight?

3) Drinking on buses is now illegal.

There are no other sports where it is allowed. Perhaps there are other sports where fans travelling by buses do not stick out like sore thumbs for inherent misbehaviour, as is the case with football fans, and there may be a blind eye turned.

4) There are other, more apt, reasons why our crowds are down against historical figures.

Football became too expensive when prices shot up to pay for the foreigners that were playing here.

Due to said influx of foreigners, our governing bodies and clubs took their eyes of developing home grown talent, and as a result the standard of football deteriorated when Johnny Foreigner could no longer be afforded.

More live games on TV.

More families now own a car, and family lifestyles have changed dramatically. It's now the done thing to spend money on lots of other family activities which more and more take precedent over the inflated costs of attending football matches.

There are probably many other reasons why too.

iwasthere1972
30-09-2012, 02:38 PM
Take it from someone who attended matches in the late sixties and early seventies and spent most of their time ducking darts and anything else that came my way as well as having bricks flying through the coach window that I wouldn't want drinking allowed on the buses or at the ground. There are enough nutters out there ready.

Bunter
30-09-2012, 02:38 PM
dont really understand the arguement for standing in seated areas or drinking on buses as both are illegal
Agreed. It's not as if these are new developments within the game.

givescotlandfreedom
30-09-2012, 02:48 PM
It is not illegal to stand at football games in Scotland. Scotland followed recommendations set out by the English Taylor report but legally it has no bearing whatsoever. This is why at Pittodroe we were told (not for the first time) standing in the last six rows was permitted and our club has spoken of considering a standing area.

JIm
30-09-2012, 02:51 PM
Are you a bus convenor? I hope not mate.

Let's look at some facts....

2) It is the duty of Police and stewards to make sure that flags are of no danger to the fans, including size for a specific stadium, and most importantly that they are fire ******ant.

How would you feel if your child got his face and hands badly burned at a football match all because some twat smoking a fag set a big surfing flag alight?

To be honest its the flag situation thats my main issue here. All i am looking for is to be able to walk in to a ground, hang my flag (in the designated area) and go watch the game.

I'm not on about the big surfing flags but surely to get refused entry to a ground or asked both outside and inside the ground about your flag is ridiculous.

Is it really a big issue taking a flag to a ground and getting it tied up? Shouldn't be IMO but all to often it is.

MacBean
30-09-2012, 02:53 PM
It is NOT illegal to stand.

Johnny0762
30-09-2012, 02:54 PM
It is not illegal to stand at football games in Scotland. Scotland followed recommendations set out by the English Taylor report but legally it has no bearing whatsoever. This is why at Pittodroe we were told (not for the first time) standing in the last six rows was permitted and our club has spoken of considering a standing area.

It might not be illegal in law, but it is illegal in club rules, hence why you have used the word "permitted".

JIm
30-09-2012, 02:56 PM
It might not be illegal in law, but it is illegal in club rules, hence why you have used the word "permitted".

Surely then clubs need to start acting and providing standing areas as there clearly is a demand for it?

You only need to look at the German model of standing to see that it works. (lower costs and larger crowds).

Johnny0762
30-09-2012, 02:56 PM
To be honest its the flag situation thats my main issue here. All i am looking for is to be able to walk in to a ground, hang my flag (in the designated area) and go watch the game.

I'm not on about the big surfing flags but surely to get refused entry to a ground or asked both outside and inside the ground about your flag is ridiculous.

Is it really a big issue taking a flag to a ground and getting it tied up? Shouldn't be IMO but all to often it is.

You would be best to contact each individual away day club, in plenty of time before each match, and let them know what you intend bringing to the game. Others do just this with no surprises and no problems.

givescotlandfreedom
30-09-2012, 02:57 PM

There's a difference between something non permitted and being illegal. It's a club/league policy, not the law.

JIm
30-09-2012, 02:58 PM
You would be best to contact each individual away day club, in plenty of time before each match, and let them know what you intend bringing to the game. Others do just this with no surprises and no problems.

Which we do. Just amazed the way the football experience is going where you struggle to take a flag in to a ground without being interrogated. The worlds gone crazy.

lucky
30-09-2012, 02:59 PM

English Taylor report, what is that ? I take it you mean Lord Taylor's report into safety at football, which was set up by our government. The devolved government have never stated any preference for a change to all seater stadia.
Drinking on buses is a thing of the past and I don't believe it should be brought back. But do think you should be able to have a pint in ground before and at half time

Johnny0762
30-09-2012, 03:01 PM
Surely then clubs need to start acting and providing standing areas as there clearly is a demand for it?

You only need to look at the German model of standing to see that it works. (lower costs and larger crowds).

We all know this, and so do our clubs, which is why we are being allowed to stand in the East, and at away games.

There is a point somewhere in there though. At Fir Park, Hibs fans were continually harranged for flying legal one metre poled flags. The Police said that this was because they were blocking the view of the Police control office, which was lies.

The flags were up waving in front of the corporate area windows at the back of the lower level away stand.

What's wrong here is that the ordinary fans are being pushed aside for the big spenders. Big spenders won't fill football grounds though.

givescotlandfreedom
30-09-2012, 03:06 PM
English Taylor report, what is that ? I take it you mean Lord Taylor's report into safety at football, which was set up by our government. The devolved government have never stated any preference for a change to all seater stadia.
Drinking on buses is a thing of the past and I don't believe it should be brought back. But do think you should be able to have a pint in ground before and at half time

It was a report which led to a legal change in England and has no legal jurisdiction in Scotland due to our differing legal systems (then and now), that's why I used the word "English". I didn't say anything other than to clear up a myth that standing here is against the law.

Chuck Rhoades
30-09-2012, 03:10 PM
We all know this, and so do our clubs, which is why we are being allowed to stand in the East, and at away games.

There is a point somewhere in there though. At Fir Park, Hibs fans were continually harranged for flying legal one metre poled flags. The Police said that this was because they were blocking the view of the Police control office, which was lies.

The flags were up waving in front of the corporate area windows at the back of the lower level away stand.

What's wrong here is that the ordinary fans are being pushed aside for the big spenders. Big spenders won't fill football grounds though.

Spot on.

Johnny0762
30-09-2012, 03:11 PM
Which we do. Just amazed the way the football experience is going where you struggle to take a flag in to a ground without being interrogated. The worlds gone crazy.

Jim, I'll have to take your word for it bud.

You should carry with you the contact details of whom, at each specific club, you have contacted for permission. Surely presenting this info to Police and stewards should be enough?

frazeHFC
30-09-2012, 03:36 PM

Exactly! The arguement in the standing debate (not illegal just not allowed) is that it should be permitted, especially if in nobody's way.

And totally agree about the Motherwell incident. Lad waves a flag that was under the required maximum length......and gets chucked out. The same people who were moaning, those in the corporative box, were giving it the giruy's when 'Well scored, which had a fair bit more potential to cause upset or start something off.

Pretty Boy
30-09-2012, 04:19 PM
Football fans get treated pretty poorly in my experience. Without wishing to open up an old debate I've witnessed far worse behaviour from rugby fans go unpunished, probably to do with the reputation that goes before both sets of fans. This is in spite of the fact the vast majority of football fans can behave themselves and could no doubt stand safely and manage a pint at half time without violence breaking out.

It also seems to me that on occasion the Police and stewards are almost looking for trouble where there is none, anyone who was at Ayr last season will have witnessed this first hand, the Police that day were a disgrace.

blackpoolhibs
30-09-2012, 04:30 PM
I understand why drink is banned, and an even see why they want folk to sit down, but i'd love to see the casualty list of fans who have been burnt by flags that have caught fire? :confused:

cam75
30-09-2012, 04:36 PM
At dons game was directed to standing area and stewards police were good through out.

Johnny0762
30-09-2012, 04:42 PM
I understand why drink is banned, and an even see why they want folk to sit down, but i'd love to see the casualty list of fans who have been burnt by flags that have caught fire? :confused:

Thankfully there are people in charge who would rather prevent this from happening than wait until it happens before changing the rules.

Nice try, could do better though. :greengrin

Johnny0762
30-09-2012, 04:47 PM
At dons game was directed to standing area and stewards police were good through out.

I said this previously. A good trip to Pittodrie started off with a good blether with Dons fans, then friendly police and stewards all saying hello with a smile as we walked into the ground. Even the guy at the turnstile let my laddie in as an under 12 saving me £8. The cops standing to the right of the Hibs fans between us and the flags giggled their heads off at the trade of insults between the fans and not once did I see anyone being approached by a cop or steward.:aok:

marinello59
30-09-2012, 04:52 PM

Aye, Grampian Police used to be a nightmare, they have taken a much more fan friendly attitude in recent seasons.

blackpoolhibs
30-09-2012, 04:56 PM
Thankfully there are people in charge who would rather prevent this from happening than wait until it happens before changing the rules.
Nice try, could do better though. :greengrin
Really, perhaps some kind of protective bubble could be invented that we could wear at all times to stop us getting wet, catch a cold or even help if hit by a car or the likes?

Hibercelona
30-09-2012, 04:59 PM
The stewards don't have it in for the fans at all.

They're given strict guidelines in which they have to follow, otherwise its their neck.

It's the people in charge of the security that issues should be taken up with, not individual stewards.

Lmc2105
30-09-2012, 05:06 PM
As we run buses to Hibernian fc away games ans am sure other buses will confirm this that we are advised by our bus company's under no circumstances is alcohol allowed to be consumed on buses at the end of the day that's why we book into supporters clubs every away game so people can get a drink. If people can't last a few hours without a drink their has to be a problem their.

Johnny0762
30-09-2012, 05:07 PM
Really, perhaps some kind of protective bubble could be invented that we could wear at all times to stop us getting wet, catch a cold or even help if hit by a car or the likes?

I think the seaside air is getting to you. :greengrin

I wasn't going to answer your ludicrously churlish point but......

We buy waterproof jackets with hoods for the rain.

We can take vitamin supplements and keep ourselves fit and healthy to avoid colds.

We have a highway code and traffic signals to avoid being hit by cars.

So we've already invented that protective bubble to prevent these things.

What next mate? :thumbsup:

JIm
30-09-2012, 05:13 PM
The stewards don't have it in for the fans at all.

They're given strict guidelines in which they have to follow, otherwise its their neck.

It's the people in charge of the security that issues should be taken up with, not individual stewards.

Whether or not they have strict instructions common sense needs to be shown at times, sadly this is not the case.

Hibercelona
30-09-2012, 05:18 PM
Whether or not they have strict instructions common sense needs to be shown at times, sadly this is not the case.

Common sense has nothing to do with it.

If your boss gives you strict instructions on the do's and don'ts, then you follow the procedures, whether you agree with them or not. Otherwise you get told to bolt.

Kojock
30-09-2012, 05:30 PM
There was an item on BBC news last week about West Midlands Police changing their attitude towards fans.

"We recognised that our style of policing football matches had to change with the times," Insp Lewis-Jones said.

Full article here

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-19673995

JIm
30-09-2012, 05:36 PM
Common sense has nothing to do with it.

If your boss gives you strict instructions on the do's and don'ts, then you follow the procedures, whether you agree with them or not. Otherwise you get told to bolt.

Maybe if your a yes man...........but your statements nonsense. In all lines of work if situations get out of hand then normal people use their common sense, not everything is done by the book.

blackpoolhibs
30-09-2012, 06:10 PM
I think the seaside air is getting to you. :greengrin

I wasn't going to answer your ludicrously churlish point but......

We buy waterproof jackets with hoods for the rain.

We can take vitamin supplements and keep ourselves fit and healthy to avoid colds.

We have a highway code and traffic signals to avoid being hit by cars.

So we've already invented that protective bubble to prevent these things.

What next mate? :thumbsup:

common sense.

Hermit Crab
30-09-2012, 06:12 PM

A very sensible approach by both club and stewards for once. Other clubs take note.

cam75
30-09-2012, 06:46 PM
I said this previously. A good trip to Pittodrie started off with a good blether with Dons fans, then friendly police and stewards all saying hello with a smile as we walked into the ground. Even the guy at the turnstile let my laddie in as an under 12 saving me £8. The cops standing to the right of the Hibs fans between us and the flags giggled their heads off at the trade of insults between the fans and not once did I see anyone being approached by a cop or steward.:aok:
Spot on was at the front with my 8year old and normally police are bit stronger presence but is that to do with the way we came across more party than doom and gloom.just a thought!

cam75
30-09-2012, 06:48 PM
As we run buses to Hibernian fc away games ans am sure other buses will confirm this that we are advised by our bus company's under no circumstances is alcohol allowed to be consumed on buses at the end of the day that's why we book into supporters clubs every away game so people can get a drink. If people can't last a few hours without a drink their has to be a problem their.
Yes but sure players drink on the way home on bus!

Greendreamer
30-09-2012, 07:07 PM
Spot on was at the front with my 8year old and normally police are bit stronger presence but is that to do with the way we came across more party than doom and gloom.just a thought!

Exactly, if you are acting the erse with the Polis or anyone who can take direct action with you then you are running the risk of getting what you deserve back. Think some might call it 'karma'.

Having had the pleasure (sic) of football supporters for nigh on 20 years in a professional capacity, it is the small %age of muppets like many groups that spoil it for the rest. Same goes for the addition of alcohol, it does not as some appear to believe,empower them with increased powers of debate, knowledge of the law or augment their decision making.

Rant over...........

Johnny0762
30-09-2012, 07:11 PM
Yes but sure players drink on the way home on bus!

And you know this how?

You're not going to tell me they have a mini bar on the team coach are you? It is illegal for alcohol consumption on passenger carrying commercial vehicles.

Baldy Foghorn
30-09-2012, 07:39 PM

Bus Companies have a no alcohol policy, as it is illegal......

Criminal Law (Consolidation)(Scotland)Act 1995, in relation to alcohol and supporter's buses.

Although this legislation is fairly complex, it basically makes it an offence for any person to be drunk or to carry alcohol on a bus, that is capable of carrying 9 or more passengers, and that is hired for the purpose of conveying supporters to or from a senior football fixture in Scotland.

Any supporter found to be drunk or carrying alcohol on a supporters bus, would be liable to arrest, imprisonment and/or substantial fine. In addition to the supporter, the driver, the hirer of the bus, and the bus operator would also be reported and similar penalties would apply.

I know that some police forces would send the whole bus away from the ground if alcohol was found on the bus. If someone tries to drink on a bus, it is being utterly selfish, and putting the whole bus at risk. It is not a game that convenyors play, we are not being vindictive, ITS THE LAW!!!!!!!

silverhibee
30-09-2012, 07:43 PM
There was an item on BBC news last week about West Midlands Police changing their attitude towards fans.

"We recognised that our style of policing football matches had to change with the times," Insp Lewis-Jones said.

Full article here

I took in a game down in England yesterday, police and stewarding were far from fan friendly, very intimidating indeed both before and after the game, more after the game if you were an away supporter.

Scouse Hibee
30-09-2012, 07:48 PM
And you know this how?

You're not going to tell me they have a mini bar on the team coach are you? It is illegal for alcohol consumption on passenger carrying commercial vehicles.

Limos?

NORTHERNHIBBY
30-09-2012, 08:10 PM
The issue Is lack of consistency I think. Tannadice never seems under control and the stewards become the problem and look how they struggled with real troublemakers in the UEFA cup.

Scouse Hibee
30-09-2012, 08:16 PM
I took in a game down in England yesterday, police and stewarding were far from fan friendly, very intimidating indeed both before and after the game, more after the game if you were an away supporter.

Deeks game :greengrin

cam75
30-09-2012, 09:01 PM
And you know this how?

Can't remember the player but"best part of heading back on coach is few beers" that was his quote slim paper last season was united ict game,I thought it was stupid or 1rule for fans another for players

JIm
30-09-2012, 09:09 PM
Lets not kid ourselves, lots of people do it, and lots of people enjoying doing it whether its legal or not.

Johnny0762
30-09-2012, 09:43 PM
[/B]

Limos?

Lol there's always one who splits hairs.

silverhibee
30-09-2012, 10:17 PM
And you know this how?

The Hibs team bus for the final had drink on it on the way back to Edinburgh. :aok:

And i travelled on a bus to the final that was allowed drink on it.

Johnny0762
30-09-2012, 11:08 PM
The Hibs team bus for the final had drink on it on the way back to Edinburgh. :aok:

No bother silver. I'll take your word for it.

Sir David Gray
30-09-2012, 11:48 PM

Presumably this was in addition to the multiple cases of beer, cider etc, that the players had obviously consumed on the way from Edinburgh earlier that day...:dunno:

silverhibee
30-09-2012, 11:57 PM
Deeks game :greengrin

:thumbsup:

silverhibee
01-10-2012, 12:01 AM
Presumably this was in addition to the multiple cases of beer, cider etc, that the players had obviously consumed on the way from Edinburgh earlier that day...:dunno:

I think going there it was bottles of valium and temazapan they were taking the way they played. :greengrin

Pete
01-10-2012, 01:51 AM
Take it from someone who attended matches in the late sixties and early seventies and spent most of their time ducking darts and anything else that came my way as well as having bricks flying through the coach window that I wouldn't want drinking allowed on the buses or at the ground. There are enough nutters out there ready.

Football has changed and things like that are very rare, especially inside the ground. In England you can have a pint at half time so why not here?

I also think laws about drinking on buses are outdated. How long is the average bus journey for the average football fan? an hour? You have a drink before you get on the bus and have a drink when you get off it. What does being within the confines of a bus have to do with anything nowadays?
All they are doing is slicing an hour or two off peoples drinking time which a lot of people make up for in spades when they get off. If people want to get smashed before a match they will do so and all they are doing is intensifying the periods before and after the bus ride.

People are going on about how it's law but laws can change and communities should fight if there are laws which affect them which they think are wrong. Especially against outdated ones like this which were brought in when football was brutal and downright dangerous.

down-the-slope
01-10-2012, 08:14 AM

good to hear :thumbsup:

Thats how things will change - communication and a bit of respect and common sense. This added to reasonable behaviour from those given this flexibility will reinforce that people generally respond to the way they are dealt with - which in turn will open up the debate for further supporter friendly relaxations.

Worse behaviour every weekend by stag and hen parties than by football fans......

dangermouse
01-10-2012, 08:24 AM
The issue Is lack of consistency I think. Tannadice never seems under control and the stewards become the problem and look how they struggled with real troublemakers in the UEFA cup.

The only away ground I've been at where you get searched before going in :confused:

JIm
01-10-2012, 09:09 AM
The only away ground I've been at where you get searched before going in :confused:

Tynecastle started searching away fans last year. Not sure if it applied to all but certainly the last derby their we were searched.

JIm
01-10-2012, 09:13 AM
Football has changed and things like that are very rare, especially inside the ground. In England you can have a pint at half time so why not here?

I also think laws about drinking on buses are outdated. How long is the average bus journey for the average football fan? an hour? You have a drink before you get on the bus and have a drink when you get off it. What does being within the confines of a bus have to do with anything nowadays?
All they are doing is slicing an hour or two off peoples drinking time which a lot of people make up for in spades when they get off. If people want to get smashed before a match they will do so and all they are doing is intensifying the periods before and after the bus ride.

People are going on about how it's law but laws can change and communities should fight if there are laws which affect them which they think are wrong. Especially against outdated ones like this which were brought in when football was brutal and downright dangerous.

Top Post :thumbsup: Sadly i doubt they will ever change the laws for drinking on buses but certainly being able to serve alcohol in the ground could be looked at. I always think that people need to be more open minded to change within football grounds and if things are done correctly/the correct measure are put in place then it shouldn't impact upon things like police presence, hooliganism etc.

jdships
01-10-2012, 09:58 AM

Big AMEN to that :top marks
Don't forget the glass Ash Trays - they were lethal :rolleyes:
A few years ago a few of us went to a Nth of England non League match to see a friends lad playing
They had a small 'Stand' ( around 1000 seats) and during the game people were standing up when a young lad fell over the seat in front of him and knocked another man over.
Before we knew what was happening we had a ' domino effect' with about thirty people on the deck
Luckily bruises were the worst anybody sustained but could have been much worse.
If we are to be 'allowed to stand' let's have designated standing areas . PLEASE .

LancashireHibby
01-10-2012, 10:11 AM

Full article here

Thanks for that, I was at the Birmingham-Bolton game mentioned in the article and we mentioned at the time how friendly the police and stewards were in the away end which made for a nice change. One steward in particular made a point of shaking everyone's hand when they came in to the stand before the game and then did the same after the game wishing everyone a safe journey home. Certainly different from the clowns at the PBS.

Lucius Apuleius
01-10-2012, 10:21 AM
Used to get searched at Hunland as well

.Sean.
01-10-2012, 10:33 AM
I've been going to Pittodrie for the Hibs games for about the last 5 or 6 seasons and haven't experienced any bother with police or stewards whatsoever. As JIm said getting a 20 x 10 foot flag out twice before entering the stadium was a bit of an inconvenience but all in all the Police and stewards were sound, not once had any trouble standing up there in any previous visits.

Brizo
01-10-2012, 12:12 PM
There will always be the over zealous polis or steward but there will also always be fans who act like fannies. Thats human nature. But my general experience at the fitba in recent years is if you act like a wideo you'll be treated like a wideo. Act responsibly and you'll be treated as a responsible person.

Supporter behaviour has changed for the better over the last twenty plus years and as a result policing has become more low key and sensitive. Whether they are factors or not that change has coincided with all seater stadia and strict drinking bans including on buses to games.

Scouse Hibee
01-10-2012, 03:25 PM
Lol there's always one who splits hairs.

Having looked back through your posts it's normally you who likes to pull folk up but more than once you have stated things that are incorrect. People in glass houses and all that! I think you need to CALM DOWN, CALM DOWN :greengrin

Johnny0762
01-10-2012, 11:31 PM
Having looked back through your posts it's normally you who likes to pull folk up but more than once you have stated things that are incorrect. People in glass houses and all that! I think you need to CALM DOWN, CALM DOWN :greengrin

Brilliant. :greengrin:top marks

lucky
02-10-2012, 09:11 AM
The stewarding at ER is fine for home fans but remember last year the over zealous behaviour towards ICT fans. Aberdeen was fine on Saturday but is there still a need for the police to be videoing supporters entering and leaving grounds. Football has improved but at most away ground your treated like a criminal. For me the worst treatment is at Parkhead. Football needs to reevaluate its relationship with its paying customer. We get over charged to get in, ripped of for food and treated poorly by local police and stewards. Yet none of this happens at any other sport in Scotland.

edinburghhibee
03-10-2012, 12:54 AM
The stewarding at ER is fine for home fans but remember last year the over zealous behaviour towards ICT fans. Aberdeen was fine on Saturday but is there still a need for the police to be videoing supporters entering and leaving grounds. Football has improved but at most away ground your treated like a criminal. For me the worst treatment is at Parkhead. Football needs to reevaluate its relationship with its paying customer. We get over charged to get in, ripped of for food and treated poorly by local police and stewards. Yet none of this happens at any other sport in Scotland.

They use the videos to identify the risk supporters. On occasions they may have intelligence to say a banned supporter is in a certain stand so they video the crowds leaving in the hope they catch the banned supporter for evidential purposes. I'm certain they won't be interested in 99.9% of the rest of us.

Hibs90
03-10-2012, 01:30 AM
They use the videos to identify the risk supporters. On occasions they may have intelligence to say a banned supporter is in a certain stand so they video the crowds leaving in the hope they catch the banned supporter for evidential purposes. I'm certain they won't be interested in 99.9% of the rest of us.

What's stopping said banned supporter from sticking a hat or a hoody on, scarf round the neck and just walking with his head down? Or even a fake beard, maybe. :greengrin

edinburghhibee
03-10-2012, 07:34 AM
What's stopping said banned supporter from sticking a hat or a hoody on, scarf round the neck and just walking with his head down? Or even a fake beard, maybe. :greengrin

I know it'll take them a lot longer to pick the correct guy from there guess who board :D

Johnny0762
03-10-2012, 05:10 PM

Perhaps the thought of getting a wee jail term for breaching the banning order?

Hibeesforever
04-10-2012, 05:57 PM

I had the same experience. Policewoman welcomed me with a smile and a hello while the Aberdeen steward seemed to be on a commission to encourage as many fans to stand as possible.

The lack of atmosphere from the Aberdeen stands must be concerning for them.

Great vocals from the Hibs support throughout, it makes you so proud.

:flag:
:flag:

ginger_eejit
06-10-2012, 12:27 AM
Usually my ire is reserved for the Strathclyde Polis and stewards at Darkheid and Castle Greyskull.

On my last trip to Ibrox (the mid-week 3-0 in Nov 2010) I thought it was going to be the normal ****ty experience, after getting off the clockwork orange, walking past all the Rangers fans freely entering their stands, the police were patting down every single Hibs fans (all maybe 200 of us) entering the ground - which pissed me off a bit, but to be fair - once we were in the ground the Police were pretty good, they were quick in telling Rangers fans who where a tad to expressive in showing their disappointment at the score to sit down and shut up, and one WPC was quite happy to get a photo of me on my phone with the scoreboard in the background! although I vaguely recall a rather officious steward insisting about 6 hibbies move two rows back because they didnt want anyone sitting in the front dozen rows or something like that.

The most bizarre stewarding intervention I've experienced was at Motherwell many years ago. About a half doz of us were trying to get a few songs going at the back of the stand, a couple of steward came up to us and told us if we didnt shut up we'd get emptied! Second to being at the Tennants Sixes not long after going on a school trip to Barcelona, from which we came back with a few plastic trumpets (otherwise known these days as vuvuzelas) and getting told we weren't allowed to blow them anymore by stewards because the players kept thinking the was the end of period hooter (that was the Tennnant Sixes that the ref awarded Celtic a fk in the semi against Hibs, because Hibs were maintaining possession for too long! Celtic scored, went on to win the game - raging!)

I'm really quite interested what effect the merging of all the constabularies into a single Scottish Constabulary will have on the practise of policing football fans across the country, tbh I can recall being treated anything than reasonably fairly by L&B, Central, Tayside and Grampian polis - but the experience of going to football in the west, and the treatment by the Strathclyde polis has been less than pleasant on many occasions - I can't think of any other situation in civic society were your treated like a potential crim, coralled by mounted police, shouted and bawled at, with nary a civil word being directed at you, just because of the event your attending (other than anti-capitalist demos I suppose!)

JohnScott
06-10-2012, 09:15 AM

So you were wrong then?!

Johnny0762
06-10-2012, 09:34 AM
So you were wrong then?!

Congratulations on your release. I hope you are fully rehabilitated. :aok:

jdships
06-10-2012, 10:35 AM
Usually my ire is reserved for the Strathclyde Polis and stewards at Darkheid and Castle Greyskull.

On my last trip to Ibrox (the mid-week 3-0 in Nov 2010) I thought it was going to be the normal ****ty experience, after getting off the clockwork orange, walking past all the Rangers fans freely entering their stands, the police were patting down every single Hibs fans (all maybe 200 of us) entering the ground - which pissed me off a bit, but to be fair - once we were in the ground the Police were pretty good, they were quick in telling Rangers fans who where a tad to expressive in showing their disappointment at the score to sit down and shut up, and one WPC was quite happy to get a photo of me on my phone with the scoreboard in the background! although I vaguely recall a rather officious steward insisting about 6 hibbies move two rows back because they didnt want anyone sitting in the front dozen rows or something like that.

The most bizarre stewarding intervention I've experienced was at Motherwell many years ago. About a half doz of us were trying to get a few songs going at the back of the stand, a couple of steward came up to us and told us if we didnt shut up we'd get emptied! Second to being at the Tennants Sixes not long after going on a school trip to Barcelona, from which we came back with a few plastic trumpets (otherwise known these days as vuvuzelas) and getting told we weren't allowed to blow them anymore by stewards because the players kept thinking the was the end of period hooter (that was the Tennnant Sixes that the ref awarded Celtic a fk in the semi against Hibs, because Hibs were maintaining possession for too long! Celtic scored, went on to win the game - raging!)

I'm really quite interested what effect the merging of all the constabularies into a single Scottish Constabulary will have on the practise of policing football fans across the country, tbh I can recall being treated anything than reasonably fairly by L&B, Central, Tayside and Grampian polis - but the experience of going to football in the west, and the treatment by the Strathclyde polis has been less than pleasant on many occasions - I can't think of any other situation in civic society were your treated like a potential crim, coralled by mounted police, shouted and bawled at, with nary a civil word being directed at you, just because of the event your attending (other than anti-capitalist demos I suppose!)

The quote raises a good question :thumbsup:
That I would imagine is the thoughts of many supporters throughout Scotland !!
Interestingly all of the ex ' polis' I know and have spoken to are of the same opinion
' The jury is out on a One Police Authority ' .