bathhibby
29-09-2012, 08:41 PM
How crap was he today ?
Powder Puff
At fault for both goals
Needs a rest I think or a bollockin

McKenzie
29-09-2012, 08:43 PM
I guess you're one of these Mcpake lovers then. For the record didn't see the game but he's been immense the last few games

Elephant Stone
29-09-2012, 08:47 PM
How crap was he today ?
Powder Puff
At fault for both goals

Can't remember the first goal at the moment but if any one player could be singled out for the second it's McPake, it was him who gave Magennis space to turn and get the cross in.

Not a brilliant day at the office but I wouldn't be dropping anyone, the team has done well in recent weeks and consistency and confidence will breed success.

ronaldo7
29-09-2012, 08:53 PM
Hanlon at fault for the first, and McPake for the second. We were soft as putty in the middle of the defence and it cost us the points.

Tricla
29-09-2012, 08:55 PM
Hanlon was fouled by Vernon for the first IMO.

Can't jump with a hand in your face.

Tricla
29-09-2012, 08:59 PM
How crap was he today ?
Powder Puff
At fault for both goals

No he wasn't.

He needs neither IMO. He's been good on the whole so far this season.

The midfield and attack need a quiet word for being non existent today.

ronaldo7
29-09-2012, 09:02 PM
Hanlon was fouled by Vernon for the first IMO.

Can't jump with a hand in your face.

Hanlon is meant to be the centre half. He should have rammed his hand up his erse. He let Vernon jump into him without putting in a challenge. It's a man's game after all.

Too soft today.

18/03/07
29-09-2012, 09:03 PM
How crap was he today ?
Powder Puff
At fault for both goals
Can't belive your comment bud,did not see 1st goal,but McPake deffo at fault for the 2nd

Future17
29-09-2012, 09:04 PM
How crap was he today ?
Powder Puff
At fault for both goals

Fouled for first goal.

McPake at fault for second.

Not sure what your problem is with Hanlon?

Johnny0762
29-09-2012, 09:07 PM
How crap was he today ?
Powder Puff
At fault for both goals

Hanlon wasn't involved in the second goal. McPake showed the laddie half a yard and couldn't then make up the pace to block the cross.

I guess you're one of these Mcpake lovers then. For the record didn't see the game but he's been immense the last few games

McPake has done wonders for Hanlon this season. Bad game for both.

Can't remember the first goal at the moment but if any one player could be singled out for the second it's McPake, it was him who gave Magennis space to turn and get the cross in.

Not a brilliant day at the office but I wouldn't be dropping anyone, the team has done well in recent weeks and consistency and confidence will breed success.

Spot on. All players have a bad day game from time to time. It's just unfortunate that whilst McPake spurs on Hanlon, when McPake is off the ball, Hanlon also drops out the game.

No he wasn't.

He needs neither IMO. He's been good on the whole so far this season.

The midfield and attack need a quiet word for being non existent today.

I almost totally agree with you but Doyle and Griffiths' work rate today was immense. Doyle slaps in a special goal and you suggest he was non existent?
The touches to bring the moving ball down by Griffiths was exceptional.

woody47
29-09-2012, 09:11 PM
Hanlon is meant to be the centre half. He should have rammed his hand up his erse. He let Vernon jump into him without putting in a challenge. It's a man's game after all.

Too soft today.

Sorry but what utter borrocks. Hanlon went to jump but got a hand straight in the face which as far as I know the rules is a foul! So what is he supposed to do?
Never ceases to amaze me how people on this site are only too happy to blame certain players irrespective of what actually happened :grr:

BoltonHibee
29-09-2012, 09:13 PM
Hanlon is poor full stop. He is slow, soft as *****, and naive. He may not have Been at fault for the 2nd but he could have done more to prevent the goal. He would be a strikers dream to play against

hibsbollah
29-09-2012, 09:16 PM
Hanlon should have rammed his hand up his erse...

Your motivation bothers me here :dunno:

lucky
29-09-2012, 09:22 PM
Hanlon was not as bad ad some are making out. It was McPake that was out of sorts today. FFS its Hibs we follow not Barcelona. Some people need a reality check

basehibby
29-09-2012, 09:22 PM
Doesny take long after a defeat for the bedwetters to appear in search of a scapegoat :rolleyes:

OP - who is your suggestion to stand in for Hanlon while you "rest" him? Not saying there's no room for improvement but he wasn't "crap" today at all - made some good blocks IIRC - and was not at all at fault for Aberdeen's second and was arguably fouled at their first.

Pedantic_Hibee
29-09-2012, 09:31 PM
One criticism I'll give Hanlon is that he gets bullied too often. He needs to bulk up a bit.

DaveF
29-09-2012, 09:35 PM
One criticism I'll give Hanlon is that he gets bullied too often. He needs to bulk up a bit.

I think he's strong enough, but it would appear he's just isn't naturally aggressive.

For the opener IMO, the forward got a jump on Hanlon and used his hand \ arm to stop Hanlon from getting off the ground.

Good forward play \ bad defending - Take your pick.

ronaldo7
29-09-2012, 09:37 PM
Sorry but what utter borrocks. Hanlon went to jump but got a hand straight in the face which as far as I know the rules is a foul! So what is he supposed to do?
Never ceases to amaze me how people on this site are only too happy to blame certain players irrespective of what actually happened :grr:

Opinions eh!

Hanlon has been playing reasonably well in the last couple of games, however when things get tough he's not hard enough. He gets bullied too easily for my liking, and maybe he should be booting some centre forwards upside down to let them know they're in a game. Never seen it happen.

John Madsen, John McNamee or sloop John B took no prisoners.

He needs to harden up.

GraniteCityHibs
29-09-2012, 09:42 PM
Clancy, Maybury, McPake, Hanlon, Williams - All very indecisive at times today and definitely need to tighten up. McGivern I thought was ok, ridiculous hairstyle aside.

Dont really see what you get from singling Hanlon out.

Tricla
I almost totally agree with you but Doyle and Griffiths' work rate today was immense. Doyle slaps in a special goal and you suggest he was non existent?
The touches to bring the moving ball down by Griffiths was exceptional.

Griffiths was pish today. Couldn't beat the proverbial egg when running with the ball. Poor dead ball delivery too. Doyle, goal apart, was only marginally better.

TBF though, they had little service.

DaveF
Opinions eh!

Hanlon has been playing reasonably well in the last couple of games, however when things get tough he's not hard enough. He gets bullied too easily for my liking, and maybe he should be booting some centre forwards upside down to let them know they're in a game. Never seen it happen.

He needs to harden up.

I didn't see any of these guys play but I imagine they wouldn't last 20 mins in today's game were they to boot centre forwards in the manner they were used to. (and how you suggest Hanlon should)

Tricla
29-09-2012, 09:44 PM
Hanlon is poor full stop. He is slow, soft as *****, and naive. He may not have Been at fault for the 2nd but he could have done more to prevent the goal. He would be a strikers dream to play against

He's not as poor as this post.

ronaldo7
29-09-2012, 09:45 PM
I didn't see any of these guys play but I imagine they wouldn't last 20 mins in today's game were they to boot centre forwards in the manner they were used to. (and how you suggest Hanlon should)

Maybe put it wrongly about booting someone upside down, however their are ways to ensure the centre forward knows you're there. :wink:

BoltonHibee
He's not as poor as this post.

Why's that then? Have you got a poster of Hanlon on your wall or something?

lyonhibs
Opinions eh!

He needs to harden up.

Caveat: in the 1960's/70's. I wasn't around then, but I daresay some of the robust challenges they and their cohorts put in on a weekly basis would result in penalties/dangerous free kicks galore these days. Rightly or wrongly, what was ok even 10 years ago is no longer tolerated these days. Some people have a romantic image that centre backs should stoat about the park battering centre forwards up the erchie with hob nailed boots at the first opportunity.

The way the game is today, that attitude is foolish IMO. I'm not saying that Hanlon was perfect or not at fault today - I've seen exactly nothing of the game yet - but more that whatever happened/did not happen today does not de facto mean he needs to "toughen up"

Tricla
29-09-2012, 09:46 PM

Too soft today.

Hand was in his face before he could jump IMO.

As for the bit in bold - :hmmm:

Tricla
29-09-2012, 09:48 PM

No. I just think your lambasting of PH is way OTT.

BoltonHibee
29-09-2012, 09:52 PM
No. I just think your lambasting of PH is way OTT.

Hardly lambasting. He was awful today, not the only one tbf but in general I don't rate him, never really have. He will never play at a higher level IMO. He has played a lot better this season today's game aside, but his limitations are only to obvious

ronaldo7
29-09-2012, 09:52 PM
Caveat: in the 1960's/70's. I wasn't around then, but I daresay some of the robust challenges they and their cohorts put in on a weekly basis would result in penalties/dangerous free kicks galore these days. Rightly or wrongly, what was ok even 10 years ago is no longer tolerated these days. Some people have a romantic image that centre backs should stoat about the park battering centre forwards up the erchie with hob nailed boots at the first opportunity.

The way the game is today, that attitude is foolish IMO. I'm not saying that Hanlon was perfect or not at fault today - I've seen exactly nothing of the game yet - but more that whatever happened/did not happen today does not de facto mean he needs to "toughen up"

That's exactly the point.

Johnny0762
29-09-2012, 09:56 PM
Griffiths was pish today. Couldn't beat the proverbial egg when running with the ball. Poor dead ball delivery too. Doyle, goal apart, was only marginally better.

TBF though, they had little service.

Make up your mind please, he was either pish or had little service.:na na:

Were you up at the game or watched on TV?

Did you notice that every time Griffiths ran onto a ball that he had two defenders hanging out his rectum? World class players can bring a moving ball down and skin two or three defenders, but he's playing for Hibs, no Barca.

I will pick out a negative point though. He petulantly fisted the ball away after an offside decision which was needless and had the Dandy's screaming out for a yellow card which he was lucky not to receive, and deserved.

hibsmad
30-09-2012, 12:11 AM

For the record I didn't see the game either but he has been crap for the last few seasons.

There has been an improvement this season by I don't understand why, if someone wants to criticise him then they must be a "McPake lover".

Hibercelona
30-09-2012, 01:05 AM
It's a team effort and yesterday was poor as a whole. Singling out single players isn't going to help at all.

Team needs to train hard next week and be fully prepared to roll their sleeves up against Dundee.

Tricla
30-09-2012, 07:05 AM
Make up your mind please, he was either pish or had little service.:na na:

Were you up at the game or watched on TV?

Did you notice that every time Griffiths ran onto a ball that he had two defenders hanging out his rectum? World class players can bring a moving ball down and skin two or three defenders, but he's playing for Hibs, no Barca.

I will pick out a negative point though. He petulantly fisted the ball away after an offside decision which was needless and had the Dandy's screaming out for a yellow card which he was lucky not to receive, and deserved.

What I meant is that he was pish every time he got the ball which was unfrequently due to the minimal service from midfield. He may have had 2 defenders on him when running with the ball but even as a non Barca player you can still check back and find a man rather than running into folk and losing possession every time.

Also, although his work rate was good I felt his touch was off and he just didn't reach the heights he has of late.

I'm a massive fan of Leigh FWIW.

scoopyboy
30-09-2012, 07:30 AM
Hardly lambasting. He was awful today, not the only one tbf but in general I don't rate him, never really have. He will never play at a higher level IMO. He has played a lot better this season today's game aside, but his limitations are only to obvious

If you don't rate him and never really have why have you not posted it in the last few weeks?

You wait for him having a poor game and then post it.

He has been one of the best players in the six game unbeaten run and there have been umpteen posts mentioning this, you had opportunity then to mention it.

But no you bide your time and jump on a bandwagon.

Never thought of you previously as a bandwagon jumper to be honest, as for he won't play at a higher level time will tell on that one.

Johnny0762
30-09-2012, 07:36 AM
What I meant is that he was pish every time he got the ball which was unfrequently due to the minimal service from midfield. He may have had 2 defenders on him when running with the ball but even as a non Barca player you can still check back and find a man rather than running into folk and losing possession every time.

Also, although his work rate was good I felt his touch was off and he just didn't reach the heights he has of late.

I'm a massive fan of Leigh FWIW.

I think he was probably under instruction from Fenlon to run at the defence and try and get a break of the ball of a defender's legs.

The problem for me here is that whilst Doyle is also improving this season, he and Griffiths are not a natural strike partnership. Griffiths would really relish playing off Doyle and another striker but we don't have the depth in squad to play that way, yet.

J-C
30-09-2012, 07:38 AM
I've been a critic of Hanlon many times in the past but trying to single him out when the majority of the team were all to blame is not on. They were soft through the middle of the team and both fb's were torn apart by pace, was a bad day at the office for all the team.

scoopyboy
30-09-2012, 07:44 AM
I've been a critic of Hanlon many times in the past but trying to single him out when the majority of the team were all to blame is not on. They were soft through the middle of the team and both fb's were torn apart by pace, was a bad day at the office for all the team.

Couldn't agree more jc1, win as a team, lose as a team.

To be honest I felt this defeat was coming, during our six game run IMO we rode our luck at times and 12 points was a very acceptable return.

I think the team needs freshened up a bit and I think PF will now do that. I would expect McGivern to get a run at left back and Taiwo to get into the midfield when fit. Having a settled team is fine but all good teams use their squads. I do however appreciate PF hasn't had this option much due to late signings still chasing fitness.

3pm
30-09-2012, 08:16 AM
Hanlon would always be in my team. He was poor yesterday though I thought.

Still don't see any McPake threads though? He's been pish the last 2 games.

James70
30-09-2012, 08:26 AM
Haven't seen the game but I doubt if Hanlon could have been as ineffective as Ferdinand was against Spurs yesterday!

NorthNorfolkHFC
30-09-2012, 08:29 AM
Hanlon is class. His footballing ability is very good.

If he was a hard man he would be outstanding and probably wouldn't be with Hibs, unfortunately his one failing is he is a bit on the soft side. Its pretty simple.

rosco-hibee
30-09-2012, 08:51 AM

McPake certainly wasn't "pish" yesterday, easily between him and Williams for Hibs' best players on the park, and they kept us in the game IMO. McPake had countless last ditch tackles and won nearly every header.

I thought Hanlon had an OK game to be honest, the reason for losing yesterday i wouldn't pin on him by any means.

We lost because for large parts of the game our midfield were absolutely anonymous, and could barely string 2 or 3 passes before hoofing the ball "down the channels" in the hope that Doyle or Griffiths could make something happen.

IndieHibby
30-09-2012, 08:58 AM

Give over - your post was garbage.

IndieHibby
30-09-2012, 09:01 AM
I don't rate him, never really have. He will never play at a higher level IMO.

Exactly - which is why you will hang on to any evidence that you are right like a dog with a bone.

Would you be willing to accept that those of us without an agenda are more likely to give a fair and balanced view?

BoltonHibee
30-09-2012, 09:03 AM
If you don't rate him and never really have why have you not posted it in the last few weeks?

You wait for him having a poor game and then post it.

He has been one of the best players in the six game unbeaten run and there have been umpteen posts mentioning this, you had opportunity then to mention it.

But no you bide your time and jump on a bandwagon.

Never thought of you previously as a bandwagon jumper to be honest, as for he won't play at a higher level time will tell on that one.

Scoopy, I'm not jumping on any bandwagon. I have never rated the lad and if you go through any of my previous posts about him you will see that. Granted he has played far better this season, yesterday aside but I still stand by my statement that he will never play at a higher level. Will gladly concede that point if proved wrong.

Can you honestly say that any of the weaknesses I think he has are incorrect?

This is a thread about Hanlon, hence the timing of the post, and all I've done is contributed my thoughts on him.

I hope he does prove me wrong, he is a very nice lad and I want him to do well but I just can't see it.

scoopyboy
30-09-2012, 09:15 AM
Scoopy, I'm not jumping on any bandwagon. I have never rated the lad and if you go through any of my previous posts about him you will see that. Granted he has played far better this season, yesterday aside but I still stand by my statement that he will never play at a higher level. Will gladly concede that point if proved wrong.

This is a thread about Hanlon, hence the timing of the post, and all I've done is contributed my thoughts on him.

I hope he does prove me wrong, he is a very nice lad and I want him to do well but I just can't see it.

I see where you are coming from regarding it is a Hanlon post but there have been other posts about Hanlon the past few weeks where you could have stated your doubts.

I think his biggest weakness is he isn't "nasty" enough.

Naturally I hope he does prove you wrong and go on to a bigger club and therefore earning the club a decent windfall, as I said earlier time will tell.

Not aimed at you but I do feel that any Hibs player (apart from the captain) could play ten good games in a row but as soon as they have a poor game they get crucified.

jdships
30-09-2012, 10:38 AM

That's how I see it also
Only saw yesterdays match on 'The Box' but as you say McPake has been pretty average last few games .
I suppose now that the forum has finished tearing LS and DW to bits they have to find another whipping boy - this time Hanlon.:greengrin

Any bets on the next candidate ? :wink:

Johnny0762
30-09-2012, 10:47 AM
That's how I see it also
Only saw yesterdays match on 'The Box' but as you say McPake has been pretty average last few games .
I suppose now that the forum has finished tearing LS and DW to bits they have to find another whipping boy - this time Hanlon.:greengrin

Any bets on the next candidate ? :wink:

Kuqi. :agree:

Johnny0762
30-09-2012, 10:51 AM
Exactly - which is why you will hang on to any evidence that you are right like a dog with a bone.

Would you be willing to accept that those of us without an agenda are more likely to give a fair and balanced view?

Another unfair post on this thread. The poster does not have an agenda other than his opinion on the guy. There's far too much of this intolerant pish on here.

Let's change it around. Perhaps it's you who has the agenda for Paul Hanlon and blindly cannot see where his shortcomings are?

I was highly critical of Hanlon last season, but this season he has looked more confident with McPake in beside him. That's why McPake is captain. When McPake doesn't play well Paul Hanlon should have the confidence and ability to be pointing out to his captain where he is being dragged out of position, etc. But he doesn't. They both drop out the game.

truehibernian
30-09-2012, 10:54 AM
Last two seasons I have been a big critic of Paul, but I tell you this - the lad has broad shoulders, has been the kind of professional we've all been wanting, and this season I've eaten humble pie and seen a leaner, more confident, more assured player - Paul has been consistently good this early into the season.

For me what was missing yesterday was clear - a foot on the ball midfielder who could take the game further up the pitch, and width. It was all very pedestrian and reminded me of the Mixu days where he never quite got the midfield balance right. Aberdeen were always going to play with width and pace out wide, and we needed our midfield to be snappier left and right.

Next week I would love to see 4-3-3 - I've been told that Dundee were atrocious at handling the strength of Tade and pace of Hasselbaink, and their midfield is very weak.

Can't see PF going that offensive but for me it's a great chance to attack a team devoid of confidence and leaking easy goals. The added incentive for Sparky to score too against his old club.

McGivern has to start next week for me too. Tempted to go with Kuqi, Doyle, with Leigh allowed to roam across the front line both flanks. Claros sitting, Deegan played a little more advanced, with Cairney the link - a bit narrow but if we press from the off we could really have them under pressure.

And Hanlon remains with McPake !

Johnny0762
30-09-2012, 11:01 AM
Last two seasons I have been a big critic of Paul, but I tell you this - the lad has broad shoulders, has been the kind of professional we've all been wanting, and this season I've eaten humble pie and seen a leaner, more confident, more assured player - Paul has been consistently good this early into the season.

For me what was missing yesterday was clear - a foot on the ball midfielder who could take the game further up the pitch, and width. It was all very pedestrian and reminded me of the Mixu days where he never quite got the midfield balance right. Aberdeen were always going to play with width and pace out wide, and we needed our midfield to be snappier left and right.

Next week I would love to see 4-3-3 - I've been told that Dundee were atrocious at handling the strength of Tade and pace of Hasselbaink, and their midfield is very weak.

Can't see PF going that offensive but for me it's a great chance to attack a team devoid of confidence and leaking easy goals. The added incentive for Sparky to score too against his old club.

McGivern has to start next week for me too. Tempted to go with Kuqi, Doyle, with Leigh allowed to roam across the front line both flanks. Claros sitting, Deegan played a little more advanced, with Cairney the link - a bit narrow but if we press from the off we could really have them under pressure.

And Hanlon remains with McPake !

We all need to mind that we have Taiwo waiting in the wings too.

I read his comments in today's papers and he is talking about his idea of how to play to keep possession. This is exactly what we are missing.

Pretty Boy
30-09-2012, 12:43 PM
He was poor yesterday and I've been critical of him in the past but he's done well this season so deserves a bit support.

blackpoolhibs
30-09-2012, 03:17 PM
I have been critical of Hanlon in the past, but have praised him this season. He's been good this season, he's played well imo, much better than McPake has. I agree some folk seem incapable of saying McPake has played poor, i think he has not been that good recently and Paul has been the better defender.

Yesterday both were poor, and directly to blame for both goals. McPake has been getting on the wrong side of his man too much, and not timing his heading well at all in the last few games.

Hanlon yesterday was bullied, thats not happened much recently, but that was one of his big faults last season he does need to toughen up.

Billy Brown said as much yesterday, i dont agree with much he says but i think he was spot on with that.

Johnny0762
30-09-2012, 03:19 PM
I have been critical of Hanlon in the past, but have praised him this season. He's been good this season, he's played well imo, much better than McPake has. I agree some folk seem incapable of saying McPake has played poor, i think he has not been that good recently and Paul has been the better defender.

Yesterday both were poor, and directly to blame for both goals. McPake has been getting on the wrong side of his man too much, and not timing his heading well at all in the last few games.

Hanlon yesterday was bullied, thats not happened much recently, but that was one of his big faults last season he does need to toughen up.

Billy Brown said as much yesterday, i dont agree with much he says but i think he was spot on with that.

Stop listening to ****s. It will stunt your growth. :na na:

Johnny0762
30-09-2012, 03:21 PM
Oh my, we're filtered from saying the word which describes a woman's slack fat under belly. :greengrin

marinello59
30-09-2012, 03:30 PM
Oh my, we're filtered from saying the word which describes a woman's slack fat under belly. :greengrin

It's a family friendly forum. Always has been.

Stevie Reid
30-09-2012, 03:45 PM
How pathetically predictable that there are so many posters jumping all over our first set back in weeks.

Today was the first time that Hanlon and McPake have been bullied this season, hopefully it will continue to happen so infrequently. Even the very best players in the world make mistakes and have bad games, and every single one of ours will have their off days more than once this season - hopefully the majority of our fans will stick by these players and offer them support through such times.

Hanlon and McPake are not perfect but they have developed a good partnership and PH is becoming braver from playing alongside JM, IMO. McPake is hugely important for us as he is an inspirational leader who the fans identify with, and knows what an honour being captain of Hibs is - that earns him extra leeway with us when it comes to making mistakes, as it should do, but I thought his defending at the second goal was far worse than Hanlon's at the first (which was still poor).

FWIW I thought Deegan was very poor yesterday and has had games pass him by these last few weeks - I think his place is under serious threat and we may well see Taiwo getting his first start next week. Still happy to have Deegan here though, like him as a player.

Brightside
30-09-2012, 04:21 PM

He's been our best player this season. Every player has bad games, but at the moment his good ones are far outweighing the bad ones. He's the biggest asset we have in our squad and i look forward to him playing for a top half team in the Premiership in a couple of years.

blackpoolhibs
30-09-2012, 04:32 PM
He's been our best player this season. Every player has bad games, but at the moment his good ones are far outweighing the bad ones. He's the biggest asset we have in our squad and i look forward to him playing for a top half team in the Premiership in a couple of years.

Fancy another bet? :greengrin

BoltonHibee
30-09-2012, 04:41 PM

Not a chance underscore, I don't even see him in the championship. The main drawback is his lack of pace and aggression.

He has played a lot better this season, I agree with that, but not sure where the biggest asset comes from

Brightside
30-09-2012, 04:42 PM
Fancy another bet? :greengrin

I think we've had enough bets on Hanlon. Its obvious some people dont like him, but its deffo not based on performance this season.

I can see him playing for Everton in future. and i know he is being watched.

blackpoolhibs
30-09-2012, 05:01 PM
I think we've had enough bets on Hanlon. Its obvious some people dont like him, but its deffo not based on performance this season.

I can see him playing for Everton in future. and i know he is being watched.

He has been better, i think we all agree on that but a top half premiership club, not in my opinion. There are much better central defenders in the championship than him.

You can pay me out anytime you like on our bet, paddy power would have by now. :wink:

HUTCHYHIBBY
30-09-2012, 05:05 PM
Fouled for first goal.

McPake at fault for second.

Thats how I saw it too.

J-C
30-09-2012, 05:09 PM
Thats how I saw it too.

I'd say, outmuscled for the 1st and whole defence for the second

Franck Stanton
30-09-2012, 05:11 PM
How pathetically predictable that there are so many posters jumping all over our first set back in weeks.

Today was the first time that Hanlon and McPake have been bullied this season, hopefully it will continue to happen so infrequently. Even the very best players in the world make mistakes and have bad games, and every single one of ours will have their off days more than once this season - hopefully the majority of our fans will stick by these players and offer them support through such times.

Hanlon and McPake are not perfect but they have developed a good partnership and PH is becoming braver from playing alongside JM, IMO. McPake is hugely important for us as he is an inspirational leader who the fans identify with, and knows what an honour being captain of Hibs is - that earns him extra leeway with us when it comes to making mistakes, as it should do, but I thought his defending at the second goal was far worse than Hanlon's at the first (which was still poor).

FWIW I thought Deegan was very poor yesterday and has had games pass him by these last few weeks - I think his place is under serious threat and we may well see Taiwo getting his first start next week. Still happy to have Deegan here though, like him as a player.

Spot on mate, when we are winning/getting creditable draws then it's all singing and dancing on here. One defeat and suddenly we need a scapegoat - step up Paul Hanlon - true he isn't the perfect c/half, [far from it], but he is still a good player and is getting better alongside McPake. Hanlon does need to be a bit more aggressive in his play and stop being bullied by those big, nasty c/forwards, hard thing to learn if it is not in your nature. Strange how not many are critisising McPake for the bad mistake which cost us the second goal isn't it ? At the end of the day , we - as a team , - had a bad day at the office and can only hope that it is now out of our system. Lets leave the Hanlon bashing and see how he progresses for the remainder of the season lads/lassies. It's after a defeat the team needs our support even more , not for us all to jump on the doom and gloom bandwagon.

Hibs7
30-09-2012, 07:01 PM
Not out muscled, see BBC highlights an ARM.across his face or throat stops him being able to jump, definite foul, plus is that BBC commentator biased or what !!!

Johnny0762
30-09-2012, 07:06 PM
I'd say, outmuscled for the 1st and whole defence for the second

Erm, eh?

You can only be out muscled if you have come together. Vernon leaped and led his arm into Hanlon before he had time to jump. Please watch the highlights.

As for the second goal McPake showed the laddie inside and in he went and whipped in a cross that is almost impossible to defend on the back foot whilst the forwards have the going forward momentum. Again, please watch the highlights.

J-C
30-09-2012, 07:12 PM
Erm, eh?

You can only be out muscled if you have come together. Vernon leaped and led his arm into Hanlon before he had time to jump. Please watch the highlights.

As for the second goal McPake showed the laddie inside and in he went and whipped in a cross that is almost impossible to defend on the back foot whilst the forwards have the going forward momentum. Again, please watch the highlights.

Watched the game mate and as far as I'm concerned Vernon timed his jump and outmuscled him, the ref seemed to think so too.

McPake was too slow, Hanlon ball watched and nobody tracked the guy coming in from the edge of the area. A poor display all round but hey ho you do like an argument and the sound of your pc keys clicking away to make a point, done with you for while, very boring indeed.

Hiber-nation
30-09-2012, 07:50 PM
Are we really still trying to convince ourselves he was fouled for the first goal? He's been excellent this season and will bounce back from Saturday but it was very weak defending, never a foul.

Bostonhibby
30-09-2012, 07:51 PM
Hanlon at fault for the first, and McPake for the second. We were soft as putty in the middle of the defence and it cost us the points.

:agree: Paul may well have been technically fouled but he was turned too easily for a CH and guy of his size............ this was a game we should have won on the display but last year we'd have lost 5 after the first one went in , Onward and upward........

Scouse Hibee
30-09-2012, 07:53 PM
I wondered who would wear the scapegoat shirt this week!

allmodcons
30-09-2012, 07:59 PM
How crap was he today ?
Powder Puff
At fault for both goals

Asked for your MoM on another thread you decided to have a go at Hanlon instead of picking your MoM.

Not content with that you decide to open a new thread slating Hanlon.

You may not like Hanlon, but to say he was at fault for the 2nd goal yesterday is just plain wrong.

Also if, as you say, the lad needs a rest, who do you propose PF plays in the middle with McPake?

Take off the blinkers and give the lad a break.

We've had a decent start to the season following on from last season's horror show. Why you feel the need to slate Hanlon in the manner you do I'll never know. Nothing better to offer I guess, so you just have a 'middle aged' moan!!

Too much of this amongst the Hibs support for me, evidenced yesterday by the fat middle aged 'fan' in front of me who spent the best part of 90 minutes moaning at his side including, ironically, questioning the fitness of some of the team.

BoltonHibee
30-09-2012, 08:40 PM
I wondered who would wear the scapegoat shirt this week!

Hanlon is not a scapegoat. Hibs lost as a team, there were very few plus performances. I've not seen any posts making him out as a scapegoat

SMAXXA
30-09-2012, 08:50 PM
:agree: Paul may well have been technically fouled but he was turned too easily for a CH and guy of his size............ this was a game we should have won on the display but last year we'd have lost 5 after the first one went in , Onward and upward........

I disagree we didn't do enough to win the game at all. We were poor in a number of areas, spoony and cairney didn't do enough, pretty non existent, defensively we were poor. I don't think its fair singling Hanlon out for criticism I agree he was poor yesterday, as was JMcP. Hanlon has been excellent this season and has silenced a lot of critics like myself, its unfair to suggest he should be dropped, its a blip just like the result and performance (I hope), the real test of character will be how we bounce back to this inevitable bad day at the office. If we continue as we did on saturday over a sustained period yeah I will be concerned but not going over the top at the moment.

I do have to say though although we look to have improved defensively, our inability to keep a clean sheet is slightly concerning for me.

skipster7
30-09-2012, 08:52 PM
Just watched the highlights, imo Vernon isn't even looking at the ball an jumps into Hanlon = foul.

Bristolhibby
30-09-2012, 11:41 PM

Too soft today.

That was my first thought at the time.

Running out winning the header and melting the striker

That's what I want to see my centre halfs doing.

J

JimBHibees
01-10-2012, 10:42 AM

Good post seems a complete over-reaction to one defeat. Aberdeen are always difficult to beat up there and deserved to win it happens. To an extent it has been coming as we seem to be only able to play well in spells. To me I hope Taiwo is an athletic type central midfielder as there is a distinct lack of pace and energy with Claros and Deegan in the middle, both are quite similar I think. Hanlon to me has done well this year and to me it was a clear foul. McPake and Hanlon are a decent partnership however they aren't perfect and will make mistakes.

Move on to the next game with Sparky hopefully a little sharper after his injury and McGivern a starting berth for me.

happiehibbie
01-10-2012, 11:17 AM
What utter rubbish blaming him for both goals could be blamed for first goal but McPake is to blame for the second he lets the Aberdeen striker turn in the box and get the ball across absolutly shocking if you ask me .

However Aberdeen where the better side Hibs have looked better in these games than in the last few years lets get behind them

Maybury for me is the week link

GGTTH

Phil MaGlass
01-10-2012, 12:00 PM
Not wishing to slate anyone in the Hibs team at the moment considering we all thought we would be bottom of the league already at this stage of the season, but I do not think Hanlon is the problem I honestly think we have a problem with Maybury, too many errors, gives the ball away easily, ok, he may be good for bringing the youngsters on but I think he has been to blame for a handful of goals already this season, needs to buck up.
Apart fae that nothing but maximum points from our next game will please me.This game should tell us and PF all we need to know about our squad.

HappieHibbie, just saw your last line, couldnt agree more

KeithTheHibby
01-10-2012, 12:04 PM
Haven't seen the Dons first goal so cannnot comment on that.

McPake didn't cut out the cross, yes, and may not have been close enough to the man however who was tracking the run of Gavin Rae into the box? Surely a job of a midfielder?

One thing for sure, we are leaking too many goals and with the ones conceded it has been hard to blame Williams for the loss of them.

Stevie Reid
01-10-2012, 12:11 PM

McPake didn't cut out the cross, yes, and may not have been close enough to the man however who was tracking the run of Gavin Rae into the box? Surely a job of a midfielder?

One thing for sure, we are leaking too many goals and with the ones conceded it has been hard to blame Williams for the loss of them.

When the ball first bounced into the box, McPake should have attacked it with his head - even if he only heads it another couple of yards away, he prevents the goal. His defending after that is very poor.

I would say Williams has been at fault for a few of the goals this season, but he has also made some great saves - goalkeepers are often at fault for goals though, and the key thing is that the back four are comfortable with him behind them, which is more than can be said for nearly all of our recent goalkeepers.

Williams and the back four are doing just fine - we are in a good position after the number of games that we have played (and where we have played them), and it really is depressing how many people believe that Hanlon or Maybury should be emptied for a couple of mistakes. I firmly believe that this back four will improve the more games that they play, but we WILL have to put up with individual errors, just like every other team in the world does. Keeping a settled team will pay dividends IMO, unless the number of individual mistakes gets to be a serious concern - God knows we've chopped and changed the team enough these last few seasons.

McGivern looked just fine when he came in, and I won't be upset if he starts at the weekend. I think Maybury has been good for us overall though, despite a couple of errors and being lucky not to get sent off at the weekend. We have a good shape with him in the team.

Golden Bear
01-10-2012, 01:36 PM
I just don't get the point of these "personal" threads which directly criticise one of our own players following a defeat. It seems as though it's now standard practice to have at least one of these posts following every game but to what purpose they serve is way beyond me.

They won't boost the self confidence of the player in question that's for sure.

Franck Stanton
01-10-2012, 02:14 PM

Re bit in bold - you have to be kidding. Now I have no intention of turning this into a "keeper-bashing" thread, but to say the above [bit in bold], is, well, just wrong. I think Williams is a good keeper and will, with time get even better BUT>>> he has made a few unforced basic errors so far this season. Now, tell me that the second goal conceeded v Celtic wasn't a basic goalkeeping error, of cource it was. Doesn't make him a bad keeper, just one that is prone to the odd mistake along the way, however it is just plain silly to say he hasn't been at fault for any of the goals we have conceeded. { and before anyone starts getting on their high horse, yes , he has made some excellent stops along the way as well, is a good keeper, the best we have had for some years, but is not the finnished article yet].

copycat
01-10-2012, 02:25 PM
How crap was he today ?
Powder Puff
At fault for both goals

Me thinks you should stick to Rugby in Bath or upgrade your specs as it was McPake who gave the Aberdeen player a yard to turn then was found wanting, nowt to do with Hanlon!!

JimBHibees
01-10-2012, 02:27 PM
I just don't get the point of these "personal" threads which directly criticise one of our own players following a defeat. It seems as though it's now standard practice to have at least one of these posts following every game but to what purpose they serve is way beyond me.

Completely agree. I think the purpose is to make the team as bad as Hearts hope we will be.

Scouse Hibee
01-10-2012, 03:37 PM
Hanlon is not a scapegoat. Hibs lost as a team, there were very few plus performances. I've not seen any posts making him out as a scapegoat

Really! Hanlon at fault, not good enough, never rated him blah, blah, blah I suggest you read again.

BoltonHibee
01-10-2012, 06:17 PM
Really! Hanlon at fault, not good enough, never rated him blah, blah, blah I suggest you read again.

Clear as mud

Scouse Hibee
01-10-2012, 06:31 PM
Clear as mud

:Ummm: :hilarious

BoltonHibee
01-10-2012, 07:04 PM
:Ummm: :hilarious

I've absolutely no idea what you are on about. Either explain yourself properly or take your face for a ****

Scouse Hibee
01-10-2012, 07:21 PM
I've absolutely no idea what you are on about. Either explain yourself properly or take your face for a ****

:aok: Cheers.

Hibby 2005
01-10-2012, 09:36 PM
Where's the McPake is crap thread? :greengrin

SaulGoodman
01-10-2012, 09:44 PM
Where's the McPake is crap thread? :greengrin

Or the 'I'm done with Hibs, Petrie GTF!!' threads :greengrin:

Phil MaGlass
02-10-2012, 08:45 AM

Quite agree, one thread picking out one player, doesnt do much for confidence, take a look at this thread, were all debating the merits of several players, can we maybe have a thread on the merits of players instead of threads picking on one name in future thanks.

Imagne if I had started a thread saying the OP on this thread is a complete cock and out of his depth, his writing skills are pish and cant even defend his own corner properly, he was at fault for a poor reply, and all over the place in the middle of the OP.
An attack on him would be rightly condemned,(I dont even know the OP personally) so why do we insist on singling out players. As said many times before, we all have our opinions on players but they all cant be having a great game so lets try and stop singling them out eh?
We have had a decent start to the season, better than we all could have imagned,can we all not just keep the positive vibe going and give the players encouragement, instead of pulling them up, they know their faults, the manager knows their faults and we like to think we know their faults, really is nothing to be said except GET BEHIND THE TEAM.