PDA

View Full Version : McGivern

Northernhibee
29-09-2012, 01:51 PM
Watched him a fair bit in the second half. Read the game very well, composed and played intelligently. Liked him a lot.

Bob Box Fish
29-09-2012, 01:52 PM
His distribution was poor and lumped the ball up in the air every time he had it.

Northernhibee
29-09-2012, 01:58 PM
His distribution was poor and lumped the ball up in the air every time he had it.

Disagree but that's horses for courses I guess.

Craig_in_Prague
29-09-2012, 02:05 PM

nonsense.

TomoHFC
29-09-2012, 02:15 PM
hope he starts against dundee cos maybury is ****in ****

Piqué
29-09-2012, 02:17 PM
Looked more solid than Maybury when he came on. Never really had to face the pace of Fraser though so its a bit difficult to compare the two of them yet.

Northernhibee
29-09-2012, 02:21 PM

100% disagree with you on that one, apart from McGivern starting.

JimBHibees
29-09-2012, 02:29 PM

Nonsense. Maybury has been very solid for Hibs one or two mistakes apart. A good experienced pro who has done and will continue to do a job for Hibs however it would IMO make sense to see how McGivern is personally thought he looked good when he came on confident on the ball and covered well.

Franck Stanton
29-09-2012, 02:38 PM
Watched him a fair bit in the second half. Read the game very well, composed and played intelligently. Liked him a lot.

Agree, liked what I saw when he came on, he is easy to spot with that hair. I like Maybury, think he brings a lot of composure and experience to the team , however, having said that his faults nowadays are that he is prone to the odd howler [ Derby game is a good example of what I mean}, he has been out of sorts the last few games and , [just my opinion on this point], doesn't get forward /overlap as much as I think he should.

McGivern, now I know it has only been 45 min in a Hibs jersey, but, I liked what I saw, enough anyway to give him a starting berth next week against Dundee. Also think Kuqi is due a lot more game-time. Not advocating a start for him however as I like the doyle/Sparky pairing . Thought today that when Spoony went off we would have been better putting either Sparky or Doyle at r/m and Kuqi up front rather than bring Handling on.

As for the poster saying Maybury is #### - get a life mate, he is a good player, just a wee bit off form just now, happens to all players.

SneakersO'Toole
29-09-2012, 02:51 PM
I would personally drop Hanlon, move Maybury to RB and start McGirven at LB for next week.

IWasThere2016
29-09-2012, 02:56 PM
McGivern is a player. Simples.

Vini1875
29-09-2012, 03:01 PM
Thought he looked a decent signing. One thing we don't have is any depth in the squad, so getting more quality throughout. When you look at the bench you want players there who are at least as good as those on the pitch. I feel we are moving in that direction. opefully Taiwo will prove to be a player who also raises the quality of the squad.

bingo70
29-09-2012, 03:37 PM
I would personally drop Hanlon, move Maybury to RB and start McGirven at LB for next week.

Never saw the game today but hanlon has been superb this season.

Even if he was awful today would be harsh to drop him imo

dmc1875
29-09-2012, 04:19 PM

Sorry... what? Maybury has been good so far this season IMO apart from today, but he wasn't exactly the only one off his game was he?

One bad game and it all starts again...

Very, very harsh assessment of him there mate, is it cause he used to be a jambo?

Dinkydoo
29-09-2012, 05:13 PM
Looked like the ball across goal for their second could have been dealt with by him - might have been the angle on ESPN though.

lucky
29-09-2012, 05:27 PM
Looked like the ball across goal for their second could have been dealt with by him - might have been the angle on ESPN though.

McPake was turned inside out for thr second goal

Franck Stanton
29-09-2012, 05:37 PM
Think that the entire back 4 were being put under a lot of pressure in the lead-up to the second goal. We seemed to be just kicking the ball as hard as we could in the direction we happened to be facing at the time. All discipline and cohesion was lost and Aberdeen were throwing everything at us. It certainly appeared only a matter of time before they scored during this spell. Funnily enough , after they went in front, we seemed to settle a bit, get the ball down and start to play a bit. To say either goal lost was the fault of any one player, is, in my opinion a wee bit harsh. [okay, Hanlon should have been stronger at first, but think that is a weak part of his game, needs to develope a mean streak].

WindyMiller
29-09-2012, 05:45 PM

:agree:

McGivern looked promising.

Johnny0762
29-09-2012, 05:48 PM

Disagree but that's horses for courses I guess.

nonsense.

He cleared his lines well and on a couple of occasions, instead of looking for a green jersey he cleared the ball long up the park.

Johnny0762
29-09-2012, 05:50 PM

McPake has cost us more goals than Maybury. :agree:

banchoryhibs
29-09-2012, 07:36 PM
I think that he looks like a player. He played simple passes around the defence when required and tidied up when needed, but what about his pass that put Kuqi through on goal? - that was real class:agree:

I certainly hope that he starts next week.

ekhibee
29-09-2012, 08:09 PM
Although Maybury has been a good player for us this season, and I wouldn't be complaining if Fenlon chose to keep him as first choice in that position, I did think McGivern was impressive when he came on. He seemed to have a presence and offered something different to Maybury. Whether it works out that way in the long run, we'll see, but I liked what I saw.

Johnny0762
29-09-2012, 08:12 PM
Although Maybury has been a good player for us this season, and I wouldn't be complaining if Fenlon chose to keep him as first choice in that position, I did think McGivern was impressive when he came on. He seemed to have a presence and offered something different to Maybury. Whether it works out that way in the long run, we'll see, but I liked what I saw.

It feels like a luxury now to have options. That can only be good and keep all the players vying for certain positions on their toes.

basehibby
29-09-2012, 08:25 PM

Utter drivel! Diarrhea of the keyboard at it's worst as a matter of fact! :trumpet:

Maybury has been good for us although McGivern's showing will certainly give him restless nights as he stakes a claim for a starting berth against Dundee.

rosco-hibee
30-09-2012, 09:01 AM
I thought McGivern did alright, IMO he read the game well. He won most of his 50/50s and looked fairly composed on the ball. A lot of energy as well up and down the line trying to overlap when going forward, though i don't think he was used in a single instance when he was overlapping.

His distribution may have looked poor but i reckon that for a decent portion of the second half we had brought on Kuqi, and after that the tactic was clearly to punt it up to him in the hope he flicked the ball on for Doyle or Griffiths which seldom happened.

The one thing that i noticed was that he was a bit oblivious as to where the defensive line was, and on a couple of occasions played an Aberdeen forward onside which could have cost us another goal. I guess that's likely to improve with more game time.

I think he's a decent signing, and definitely not a bad option to go to when Maybury or Clancy are struggling which was definitely the case for Maybury. I don't think anyone could argue that PF made a good decision to bring McGivern on for Maybury at half time.

Johnny0762
30-09-2012, 10:55 AM
I thought McGivern did alright, IMO he read the game well. He won most of his 50/50s and looked fairly composed on the ball. A lot of energy as well up and down the line trying to overlap when going forward, though i don't think he was used in a single instance when he was overlapping.

His distribution may have looked poor but i reckon that for a decent portion of the second half we had brought on Kuqi, and after that the tactic was clearly to punt it up to him in the hope he flicked the ball on for Doyle or Griffiths which seldom happened.

The one thing that i noticed was that he was a bit oblivious as to where the defensive line was, and on a couple of occasions played an Aberdeen forward onside which could have cost us another goal. I guess that's likely to improve with more game time.

I think he's a decent signing, and definitely not a bad option to go to when Maybury or Clancy are struggling which was definitely the case for Maybury. I don't think anyone could argue that PF made a good decision to bring McGivern on for Maybury at half time.

Kuqi was rid rotten when he came on. The tactic of punting a high ball to the big front man can only work if the front man towering above everyone else actually tries to get off the ground to knock these balls down. Yesterday I counted 4 punts where Kuqi's feet never left the ground. Hope he improves but I think he is going to turn into a rotten signing.

hibsbollah
30-09-2012, 11:14 AM
Maybury has been solid but unspectacular in most games so far. But he's also made two slipups thatve cost us four points, against Hearts and ICT, and doesnt have the ability to create or go past people and help out the attack. Personally id like McGivern to start next week, Maybury is the kind of 'good honest pro' types that a squad needs over the course of a season to cover injuries etc.

MUPPET
30-09-2012, 11:28 AM
McPake has cost us more goals than Maybury. :agree:

Have to agree for me McPake is a bit of a bombscare.

Johnny0762
30-09-2012, 11:32 AM

He is a bit unconventional at times but does try his heart out and throws himself at tackles.

In the second half as Aberdeen went down their left flank he stumbled for about 10 yards but was still able to keep his composure as he fell to the ground to put the ball out for a corner.:aok:

hibsbollah
30-09-2012, 01:11 PM

:hilarious

rosco-hibee
30-09-2012, 04:39 PM
Kuqi was rid rotten when he came on. The tactic of punting a high ball to the big front man can only work if the front man towering above everyone else actually tries to get off the ground to knock these balls down. Yesterday I counted 4 punts where Kuqi's feet never left the ground. Hope he improves but I think he is going to turn into a rotten signing.

Going by what we've seen of him so far, aye, he's looking to be a bit of a rotten signing.

It's still early doors though, he might come good. Would like for him to get at least 1 goal so we can see the famous belly flop. :cb

JimBHibees
01-10-2012, 09:00 AM
The Muppet and Johnny yam double act. :greengrin