PDA

View Full Version : Kurtis Byrne

theonlywayisup
29-09-2012, 10:36 AM
Always wondered if we have missed out on Kurtis Byrne, a key reason why we won the u19 league and cup double. He obviously didn't make it at Hibs, went to Ross County and now they have sent him off to Brechin on loan. Pity, but looks as if he is not going to make it at the top level.

The 22-year-old Byrne joined County after leaving Hibernian in 2011 but has made only one appearance this season - in a 4-1 home defeat by First Division side Raith Rovers in the Scottish Communities League Cup.

For those that have seen him play, what are your thoughts and memories of kurtis Byrne?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19766345

Shrekko
29-09-2012, 10:45 AM
Always wondered if we have missed out on Kurtis Byrne, a key reason why we won the u19 league and cup double. He obviously didn't make it at Hibs, went to Ross County and now they have sent him off to Brechin on loan. Pity, but looks as if he is not going to make it at the top level.

The 22-year-old Byrne joined County after leaving Hibernian in 2011 but has made only one appearance this season - in a 4-1 home defeat by First Division side Raith Rovers in the Scottish Communities League Cup.

For those that have seen him play, what are your thoughts and memories of kurtis Byrne?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19766345

Main memories are his Dad telling the papers that if we didn't play him he'd be off to bigger things with Neil Lennon keeping an eye on him and The Quiet Man insisting that he was better than Colin Nish.

hibee92
29-09-2012, 11:53 AM
Main memories are his Dad telling the papers that if we didn't play him he'd be off to bigger things with Neil Lennon keeping an eye on him and The Quiet Man insisting that he was better than Colin Nish.

That about sums it up for me.

Matty_Jack04
29-09-2012, 12:02 PM
According to wiki he's scored 9 goals in 43 games ...

NORTHERNHIBBY
29-09-2012, 12:22 PM
A player that couldn't bridge the gap. Not a Hibs thing, just a question of ability. Don't think his old man covered himself in glory either. The advice should have been screw the nut and apply yourself.

Pretty Boy
29-09-2012, 12:34 PM
His old man ****ed up his own career so tried to relive it through his son.

His slaverings in the paper were cringeworthy.

jdships
29-09-2012, 03:27 PM
A player that couldn't bridge the gap. Not a Hibs thing, just a question of ability. Don't think his old man covered himself in glory either. The advice should have been screw the nut and apply yourself.

Absolutely spot on !!
I was one such , just on 60 years ago !!
' promising 17 year old ' turned into at 19/20 ' sorry son youv'e not made the progress we hoped for so we will have to let you go '
Thousands have been in the same boat over the years .
The difference with me and Curtis was my old man was surprised I got the chance in the first place !!!!!!!!!! :greengrin:rolleyes:

Great to look back on that at least I got the chance : but the fact I didn't make it was down entirely to me !!!

ronaldo7
29-09-2012, 08:30 PM
Like many Hibs fans, I'd high hopes for Kurtis. I felt he would come through just like Kenny Miller and was in the same mould. Running the channels well but his failure at a higher level was putting the ball in the pokey. Hope he gets his game back on track soon.

jdships
29-09-2012, 08:36 PM
Like many Hibs fans, I'd high hopes for Kurtis. I felt he would come through just like Kenny Miller and was in the same mould. Running the channels well but his failure at a higher level was putting the ball in the pokey. Hope he gets his game back on track soon.

Good post !!
I only met him a couple of times and even then it came across that perhaps his dad had too high an expectation for him too early.
Like you I hope he makes it at a decent level :agree:

McD
29-09-2012, 09:32 PM
Saw him a few times for the 19s, he could finish but I felt didn't really have much else to his game, tended to drift in and out of games, which was enough to carry him through at that level. I wonder if, having made the huge step from that level to SPL, he's struggled to score against more experienced and stronger defenders, and not had anything to keep him in a first team until he'd got the hang of what was needed at that level

Stevie Reid
02-10-2012, 08:43 AM
Put in a good cross for Colin Nish to break the deadlock against 9 man Aberdeen in a 2-0 win on October 31 2009.

I remember the date so well because I saw Davie Dodds in my local afterwards. On Halloween. No ****.

He was just bevvying but would no doubt have made a fortune had he been at the guise.

Thecat23
02-10-2012, 08:57 AM
Put in a good cross for Colin Nish to break the deadlock against 9 man Aberdeen in a 2-0 win on October 31 2009.

I remember the date so well because I saw Davie Dodds in my local afterwards. On Halloween. No ****.

He was just bevvying but would no doubt have made a fortune had he been at the guise.

:faf:

Spike Mandela
02-10-2012, 02:52 PM
He is only 22, his career isn't over yet. Greater players than he have seen their careeer go backward before it went forward and on to better things. We MAY not have heard the last of this lad.

J-C
02-10-2012, 03:01 PM
He is like many players, at 17-18 look very good but their development stalls or slows right down and don't make the grade at the top, he'll do ok at div1/2 level, good luck to the lad wherever he plays.

scoopyboy
02-10-2012, 04:07 PM
He is only 22, his career isn't over yet. Greater players than he have seen their careeer go backward before it went forward and on to better things. We MAY not have heard the last of this lad.

Hibs to Ross County to Brechin should have alarm bells ringing for him.

I had high hopes for him but his attitude hasn't helped him.

Always looking for short cuts and cheating in training when with us.

He may have thought he was getting away with it and he was Jack the lad but the coaches knew full well what he was up to and in the end he only cheated himself.

I don't think he will turn his career around.

JimBHibees
02-10-2012, 04:15 PM
Hibs to Ross County to Brechin should have alarm bells ringing for him.

I had high hopes for him but his attitude hasn't helped him.

Always looking for short cuts and cheating in training when with us.

He may have thought he was getting away with it and he was Jack the lad but the coaches knew full well what he was up to and in the end he only cheated himself.

I don't think he will turn his career around.

Pretty depressing post that in terms of the players attitude. Hopefully the penny drops however saw him play against Livingston a few years ago playing for East Fife and he didnt impress much. Only one game but certainly didnt stand out at that level which was Div 2 I think.

theonlywayisup
21-12-2012, 08:07 PM
Now released from Ross County.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20814198

Bostonhibby
21-12-2012, 08:24 PM
Kurtis had a lot of potential at our level and could have pushed on.

like a lot of others wasn't to be.The thing that made him stand out for me was the number of goals he scored at his level with Hibs, it was second only to the media exposure his slavering old soap dodger / unwashed old man got for @ 11 minutes from the ****** when he was trying to promote his move upward, presumably to their ancestral team - did the kid no favours but move on...........

blaikie
21-12-2012, 08:42 PM
Byrne is just another to add to the list of what could have been. Hopefully he finds his level and you never know he could be something one day,

Damon gray
Ross Campbell
Keegan Ayre
Patrick Deane
Fergus Bell
Ewan Moyes

All the guys above had potential at youth level for the club but when 1st team opportunities came up they just didn't cut it. Lot of players come through at Hibs not many go on to better things once released which is in a way showing we are still successful at spotting young talent.

Jonnyboy
21-12-2012, 09:17 PM
I wish Kurtis well but he really needs to tell his old man to STFU as well as putting in the effort on the training pitch.

Still, he did something at Hibs that no other player has ever done when playing for us :wink:

Number69
21-12-2012, 09:22 PM
Paddy Deane doin well for himself in the sales game now ;-)

jdships
21-12-2012, 09:24 PM
Byrne is just another to add to the list of what could have been. Hopefully he finds his level and you never know he could be something one day,

Damon gray
Ross Campbell
Keegan Ayre
Patrick Deane
Fergus Bell
Ewan Moyes

All the guys above had potential at youth level for the club but when 1st team opportunities came up they just didn't cut it. Lot of players come through at Hibs not many go on to better things once released which is in a way showing we are still successful at spotting young talent.

:agree:
So many boys for what ever reason just cannot bridge the gap between ' a promising 15 year old' and ' this boy at 21 has made it '
Thousands over the years have for whatever reason never progressed as they should have done . Nothing to do with coaching it is just how it is .
Golf is similar
I had a friend who played off 'plus 2' at 19/23 - turned pro and ended up in the south of England as a club pro running a shop and , his words, ' making ends meet '

People talk of these lads not applying themselves or not having the sticking power to train etc etc . Think it is simpler than that !!
I think of myself and how by the time I was 19 I knew I did not have the skills to play at a decent Senior level

I liked watching Byrne and really thought he was going to be something different :rolleyes:

Stantons Angel
21-12-2012, 10:37 PM
I honestly feel that with Kurtis bursting on to the scene with our u/19s and with his goals helping them win the double at youth level only added to the pressure on him when moving from the young team to 1st team level.

He had no chance to develop his skills from the subs bench and under every manager he had at Hibs starting with Yogi, he never got the game time he needed.

How can young players who already struggle to cope with the difference in standards be expected to learn their trade and develop in the game if they aren't playing?

In times gone by he would have gotten a chance in the reserve leagues but in the wisdom of the SFA we dont need them?

Kurtis is a talented young player and still only 22yrs old, some posters have him written off already and for him to be remembered because his dad is an "idiot" is no fault of his own. He has the spirit and the fight to go on to pastures new and i hope he uses them.

Its maybe a good thing that he is moving away from Ross County they will always need experienced professional either to stay in the premier league or to fight their way out of it.

He is a likeable young man and i know the majority of the Hibs Supporters will wish him well in the next stage of his career

Lets be positive and remember that he is the only Hibs Captain to lift that Scottish Cup....... in my life time anyway!...............................

All the best Kurtis and follow your dreams!

GoldenEagle
22-12-2012, 08:28 AM
I honestly feel that with Kurtis bursting on to the scene with our u/19s and with his goals helping them win the double at youth level only added to the pressure on him when moving from the young team to 1st team level.

He had no chance to develop his skills from the subs bench and under every manager he had at Hibs starting with Yogi, he never got the game time he needed.

How can young players who already struggle to cope with the difference in standards be expected to learn their trade and develop in the game if they aren't playing?

In times gone by he would have gotten a chance in the reserve leagues but in the wisdom of the SFA we dont need them?

Kurtis is a talented young player and still only 22yrs old, some posters have him written off already and for him to be remembered because his dad is an "idiot" is no fault of his own. He has the spirit and the fight to go on to pastures new and i hope he uses them.

Its maybe a good thing that he is moving away from Ross County they will always need experienced professional either to stay in the premier league or to fight their way out of it.

He is a likeable young man and i know the majority of the Hibs Supporters will wish him well in the next stage of his career

Lets be positive and remember that he is the only Hibs Captain to lift that Scottish Cup....... in my life time anyway!...............................

All the best Kurtis and follow your dreams!

Small point but nowt to do with the SFA and everything to do with the clubs voting not to have a 'reserve' league

jdships
22-12-2012, 08:45 AM
Small point but nowt to do with the SFA and everything to do with the clubs voting not to have a 'reserve' league

:thumbsup::top marks

Young players also have to earn their spurs with application and consistency . You work hard and train hard
Byrne is now 22/23 and if he was ' the class act ' many make him out to be he surely would have come through regardless

Hundreds of lads ' hit career brick walls' for no particular reason other than they do not progress /develop as was hoped
He will probably end up in English Div 1 making a decent living all the same
Good luck to the lad

Stantons Angel
22-12-2012, 09:38 AM

point taken and i think you will find most managers miss having the reserve leagues when trying to bring back injured players and look at trialists.

I also take the point of the other poster who states " young lads hit a career brick wall" this is also very true and a great number of them do that. No one ever said Kurtis was a super star(apart from his dad) but that lad does have talent and im sure he will go on to earn a reasonable wage from the game.

If its in the lower English leagues then so be it, but i will always feel his potential didnt get the support it needed to develop from our swinging door of management changes at the time.

Good luck to Kurtis and others like him.

thebakerboy
22-12-2012, 11:29 AM
Went to see Bonnyrigg Rose in Scottish cup replay against Brechin and they were ripped to shreds by the Brechin no11 who was streets ahead of anybody else on the park. Didn't find out till the next day it was young Kurtis and that he hadn't played in the first match. He changed the game from a lucky (for Brechin ) 2 2 draw into a 6 1 victory for them. The ability is obviously there it's just getting it out on a regular basis and at a higher level. Good luck to him.

Purple & Green
22-12-2012, 01:18 PM
I didn't think Kurtis was anything special against Bonnyrigg - I thought Derek Carcary was the Brechin stand out that day aided by slow tactical changes by the Bonnyrigg manager who took 3 goals too long to switch from a back three. Opinions...

.Sean.
22-12-2012, 04:18 PM
Paddy Deane doin well for himself in the sales game now ;-)
Putting 2 and 2 together with stories I've heard I'm fairly certain I know what you're insinuating.