PDA

View Full Version : The Easter Road Parade

hibsbollah
29-09-2012, 08:55 AM
http://ssa.nls.uk/film.cfm?fid=8528&search_term=princes%20street%20gardens&search_join_type=AND&search_fuzzy=yes

Some great footage here, my favourites include the massive east terracing shot, and Harry Swan smoking a fag and deadheading his chrysanthemums. Someone might want to post a link on the 'hibs on film' board.

HIBERNIAN-0762
29-09-2012, 09:03 AM
Seen this before, wonderful stuff and a real picture of how life was back then.

hibsbollah
29-09-2012, 09:06 AM
At the start if you look very closely you can see a young Doddie getting on a tram :agree:

Hibercelona
29-09-2012, 09:09 AM
At the start if you look very closely you can see a young Doddie getting on a tram :agree:

A young Doddie?

That's how you know it was a very long time ago. :cb

O'Rourke3
29-09-2012, 04:52 PM
What a treat. :flag:

Scary how the surrounding area hasn't changed very much on the run into the ground. Nice to see the Sect 43 drummer was about then and did anyone else spot that the ref for the STM game was Mark Lamar?

iwasthere1972
29-09-2012, 07:32 PM

Look even closer and you'll clearly see that Johnnyboy was driving it. :greengrin

Seen the video before. It's quality.

capitals_finest
29-09-2012, 08:36 PM
http://ssa.nls.uk/film.cfm?fid=8528&search_term=princes%20street%20gardens&search_join_type=AND&search_fuzzy=yes

Some great footage here, my favourites include the massive east terracing shot, and Harry Swan smoking a fag and deadheading his chrysanthemums. Someone might want to post a link on the 'hibs on film' board.

Brilliant. Possibly the best thing I have ever seen on the internet.

My Grandad will love this. Thanks for posting.

lyonhibs
29-09-2012, 10:00 PM
Absolute quality. Funny seeing them obviously being told, almost a la Sky Sports intro, to look from right to left for the camera. Keeping a straight face was a bit of an issue for a few of them, but stone the crows what names were in the team back then!!!

To give him his dues, Zaliukas has clearly taken inspiration - for the past 6 years - from the clip form 8.02-8.05. Shame most SPL refs haven't caught up with the times...........:rolleyes:

sleeping giant
30-09-2012, 11:43 AM
Brilliant. Possibly the best thing I have ever seen on the internet.

My Grandad will love this. Thanks for posting.

My Dad will love this too:agree:

Silly question........is it meant to be silent ? Not sure if there should be a voice over but there's something wrong with my volume settings :greengrin

iwasthere1972
30-09-2012, 12:00 PM
My Dad will love this too:agree:

Silly question........is it meant to be silent ? Not sure if there should be a voice over but there's something wrong with my volume settings :greengrin

The clue is where it mentions date, director and sound.

James.
30-09-2012, 12:09 PM
I mind having this on an old VHS video when I was a kid. I'm pretty sure it was called "Hibee Hibernian" Does anyone remember if this is right? I'm sure it had a Proclaimers gig on it where Hibs players came on stage and booted a ball into the crowd and an interview with an elderly chap who had managed to see the 1902 cup final.

Or am imagining this??

Keith_M
30-09-2012, 12:15 PM
That's really good, thanks for posting that.

I presume the big mound of earth at the back of the main terracing was the new top section of the terrace under construction? :dunno:

Anyway, I need to show my Dad this, I'm sure he was in one of the crowd scenes, he was nine years old at the time.

sleeping giant
30-09-2012, 12:22 PM
The clue is where it mentions date, director and sound.

Fair do's :greengrin

cabbageandribs1875
30-09-2012, 12:27 PM
I mind having this on an old VHS video when I was a kid. I'm pretty sure it was called "Hibee Hibernian" Does anyone remember if this is right? I'm sure it had a Proclaimers gig on it where Hibs players came on stage and booted a ball into the crowd and an interview with an elderly chap who had managed to see the 1902 cup final.

Or am imagining this??

i have that video, just had a quick squint at it and the proclaimers are on the front :agree: interviews with Lawrie Reilly, and, "the players of today meet jock wilson, who first visited Easter Road in 1908"

i'l need to dig out one of the old VCR's to view it again :)

jdships
30-09-2012, 12:46 PM

Thank you a bundle for that :aok:
It was 1950/51 that I achieved my dream and played ' down the slope'
I have / have seen many stills of that period but this brings it all back WOWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE !

You have made an old man happy :greengrin

shagpile
30-09-2012, 02:12 PM
When opposition fans used to stand side by side , have a dram[someone always had a bottle!] & discuss the game.
Now we are herded into different parts of football grounds because moronic behaviour is the norm.

jdships
30-09-2012, 02:25 PM
When opposition fans used to stand side by side , have a dram[someone always had a bottle!] & discuss the game.
Now we are herded into different parts of football grounds because moronic behaviour is the norm.

The downside of that was everyone was so tightly packed in and with the lack of proper toilet facilities on many an occasion you suddenly felt the backs of your legs getting wet where the guy behind had been caught short and just p..d where he stood

Happy days indeed . !!

Maybe its an age thing but I probably enjoyed my football in the 60/70's a lot more than I do now . Certainly did in the 40/50's :confused:

iwasthere1972
30-09-2012, 02:43 PM
The downside of that was everyone was so tightly packed in and with the lack of proper toilet facilities on many an occasion you suddenly felt the backs of your legs getting wet where the guy behind had been caught short and just p..d where he stood

Happy days indeed . !!

Maybe its an age thing but I probably enjoyed my football in the 60/70's a lot more than I do now . Certainly did in the 40/50's :confused:

Come on jd. Who exactly are you. Spill the beans. You know you want to.

jdships
30-09-2012, 04:22 PM
Come on jd. Who exactly are you. Spill the beans. You know you want to.

Was a ' promising 17/18 yr old' who didn't make it past 19 , as hundreds of others have done.:rolleyes:
Played for a club who are no longer with us
Played three first team games in two years including one at ER ' down the slope ' against the ' Famous Five' . ( My cup Final )
I had such an impact on the club that my name does not even appear in the list of those who played for them :greengrin

There you have it

Given under the terms of the ' Freedom of information Act ' :lips seal

iwasthere1972
30-09-2012, 04:48 PM
Was a ' promising 17/18 yr old' who didn't make it past 19 , as hundreds of others have done.:rolleyes:
Played for a club who are no longer with us
Played three first team games in two years including one at ER ' down the slope ' against the ' Famous Five' . ( My cup Final )
I had such an impact on the club that my name does not even appear in the list of those who played for them :greengrin

There you have it

Given under the terms of the ' Freedom of information Act ' :lips seal

Cheers. So you played for Rangers. :greengrin

James.
30-09-2012, 06:31 PM
i have that video, just had a quick squint at it and the proclaimers are on the front :agree: interviews with Lawrie Reilly, and, "the players of today meet jock wilson, who first visited Easter Road in 1908"

i'l need to dig out one of the old VCR's to view it again :)

That's the chap! So even he didn't manage to see us lift the cup!

jdships
30-09-2012, 07:24 PM
Cheers. So you played for Rangers. :greengrin

Wash your mouth out , Sir and please have some respect for your elders :greengrin:wink:

Keith_M
30-09-2012, 07:48 PM
Wash your mouth out , Sir and please have some respect for your elders :greengrin:wink:

I have a fantastic book all about the Thirds.

I had a good squint through it but couldn't find anyone with the initials JD :greengrin

jdships
30-09-2012, 08:44 PM
I have a fantastic book all about the Thirds.

I had a good squint through it but couldn't find anyone with the initials JD :greengrin

Yes you are right!
On a serious note there one or two of us oldies who only played the odd game missing from the book and the website.
That's life as they say . Still have my memories to look back on :top marks

Jonnyboy
30-09-2012, 11:17 PM
Look even closer and you'll clearly see that Johnnyboy was driving it. :greengrin

Seen the video before. It's quality.

Upstairs only please :greengrin

1950's hibbie
01-10-2012, 02:49 AM
Excellent old film, Edinburgh with the trams, the one man band, I think he lived around Gifford Park. The new terracing been filled up top, I seem to remember when it was finished they called it after a hil that was fought over in Koreas, something same as Liverpools Kop. So many things that stir up the old memory box.

.Sean.
01-10-2012, 08:03 AM
How big was that old East? It's hard to judge when it's full of heads. Much, much bigger than the current East? There are no decent photos of it anywhere.

hibbybrian
01-10-2012, 08:29 AM
How big was that old East? It's hard to judge when it's full of heads. Much, much bigger than the current East? There are no decent photos of it anywhere.

and some more stadium pics here

http://s36.photobucket.com/albums/e43/hibbybrian/Stadium/#!cpZZ1QQtppZZ16

hibsbollah
01-10-2012, 10:26 AM
The attendance was 60,000, so you could assume at least 20,000 in that east bank alone i would have thought? obviously attendances were half guesswork...

PeeJay
01-10-2012, 10:39 AM
Great film - never tire of seeing it - especially the old shots of Edinburgh ...

The East terracing wasn't completed in the video though - when did they complete it - some time in the 50s?

jdships
01-10-2012, 10:57 AM
The attendance was 60,000, so you could assume at least 20,000 in that east bank alone i would have thought? obviously attendances were half guesswork...

The record attendance was 65,860 at an Edinburgh derby played on 2 January 1950.
I was at that game as an 18 year old wth my uncle ( an ex Hibbee goalie) and can tell you it was horrendous space wise
The few of those I know who are still around still talk of the utter mayhem trying to leave the ground . It was an accident waiting to happen coming down the steep staircases to the exits .
I seem to remember the 'estimated' capacity of the East Terrace being given as 28000.
I am sure someone will have the true figure .
Whatever it was it was an amazing place to be on a Saturday afternoon !!!

:flag:

Hibby Gav
01-10-2012, 12:12 PM
On the same site I found this tribute to Pat Stanto from 1991...

http://ssa.nls.uk/film.cfm?fid=8529&search_term=Hibernian&search_join_type=AND&search_fuzzy=yes
(http://ssa.nls.uk/film.cfm?fid=8529&search_term=Hibernian&search_join_type=AND&search_fuzzy=yes)All brilliant memories....ahhh........sniff.... :greengrin