PDA

View Full Version : Open All Mouths

Dan Sarf
28-09-2012, 03:50 PM
After spending half an hour searching for a contact address for Open All Mikes on the impenetrable BBC Scotland Sport site, I finally managed to email this polite (ish) question to them 11 days ago...

Hi there. Can you please explain to me how you justify replacing individual commentaries for SPL games with the babbling incoherence that is Open All Mikes? Like most exiled fans (based on fan site raging every Saturday afternoon) I'd like a serious description of what is happening to my team. And, as a licence payer, I expect the BBC to provide it. Yours, Dan.

Response? Nah, of course not. Too busy shouting at each other, I suppose.

Anyone got any suggestions on how we can get it through to them that Open All Mikes is hopeless?

mikethehibee69
28-09-2012, 04:12 PM
I may be wrong, but I was under the impression that the BBC lost the individual match commentary and only have the open all mics!!! Which is pants:brickwall
After spending half an hour searching for a contact address for Open All Mikes on the impenetrable BBC Scotland Sport site, I finally managed to email this polite (ish) question to them 11 days ago...

Hi there. Can you please explain to me how you justify replacing individual commentaries for SPL games with the babbling incoherence that is Open All Mikes? Like most exiled fans (based on fan site raging every Saturday afternoon) I'd like a serious description of what is happening to my team. And, as a licence payer, I expect the BBC to provide it. Yours, Dan.

Anyone got any suggestions on how we can get it through to them that Open All Mikes is hopeless?

jgl07
28-09-2012, 04:19 PM
I may be wrong, but I was under the impression that the BBC lost the individual match commentary and only have the open all mics!!! Which is pants

They have not lost all the match commentaries just most of them. They cover one match on MW (who the hell can access MW these days?) plus a commentary on the early match (if there is one) and a Sunday match (again on the dreaded MW).

There used to be one match on FM, another on MW, and sometimes one on Radio nan Gael plus all SPL matches on the internet.

This is all to do with budget cuts.

Radio Scotland also appears to be totally unavailable on DAB. It is supposed to be there but I can never get a signal.

johnrebus
28-09-2012, 04:42 PM

Go to the main BBC website and look for complaints.

They are duty bound to reply, and they will.

:cb

Hibernia&Alba
28-09-2012, 04:47 PM
Ye cannae listen tae every game oan the Beeb any mair?

That is a tradition I would lament the loss of.

Dan Sarf
28-09-2012, 04:47 PM
Go to the main BBC website and look for complaints.

They are duty bound to reply, and they will.

:cb

I did. They didn't.

:confused:

Frazerbob
28-09-2012, 04:50 PM

To be fair, if I receieved an e-mail in that tone I'd ignore it.

I think I'm in the minority in that I enjoy Open All Mics. You get a good feel of how all the games are going and can keep a track off which teams are buggering up your coupon this week!

Johnny0762
28-09-2012, 04:56 PM
I did. They didn't.

Email back and and state clearly at the top of your correspondence that this is a complaint that you wish to have escalated through their chartered complaints procedure. Failure to respond to such a request is just not worth the hassle it causes them.

Hibernia&Alba
28-09-2012, 05:00 PM

I think I'm in the minority in that I enjoy Open All Mics. You get a good feel of how all the games are going and can keep a track off which teams are buggering up your coupon this week!

But some fans just want uninterrupted coverage of their team. I had no idea the BBC no longer provided such coverage this season, and it's a shame. As the national broadcaster, it was superb that the Beeb provided coverage to all SPL games, and I'm saddened to hear this is no longer the case.

Cutbacks etc, I know, and I'm aware coverage of all games didn't happen in the pre-internet era, but public broadcasting needs to be just that - for the widest possible audience in the formats available.

Dan Sarf
28-09-2012, 05:06 PM
Email back and and state clearly at the top of your correspondence that this is a complaint that you wish to have escalated through their chartered complaints procedure. Failure to respond to such a request is just not worth the hassle it causes them.

Will do - if I can find the link again. Thanks for suggestion.

CallumLaidlaw
28-09-2012, 06:25 PM
Its a shame losing the individual commentary of the BBC, but it forced me into subscribing to Hibs interactive, and the commentary is far better and much more green-tinted than anything from the BBC.

O'Rourke3
28-09-2012, 06:38 PM
They have not lost all the match commentaries just most of them. They cover one match on MW (who the hell can access MW these days?) plus a commentary on the early match (if there is one) and a Sunday match (again on the dreaded MW).

There used to be one match on FM, another on MW, and sometimes one on Radio nan Gael plus all SPL matches on the internet.

Radio Scotland also appears to be totally unavailable on DAB. It is supposed to be there but I can never get a signal.

This is also the digital channel, so what's on AM is also on DAB

Hibs7
28-09-2012, 07:17 PM
They are pathetic even their digital broadcast on tv stops at 4 pm. I questioned why and they said it goes to BBC Alba at 4 pm. Pathetic catering for the minority again, wtf do we pay a licence for .... ***** minority groups !!!!!!!!!

Jonnyboy
28-09-2012, 07:21 PM

Maybe if they stopped paying all those 'expert' pundits and concentrated on having someone do a commentary instead? :wink:

EdinMike
28-09-2012, 07:21 PM
The Celtic game was covered (STIR STIR STIR) :whistle:

It is a shame though. I used to love being able to listen to a whole, uninterrupted game if I couldn't attend.

seven nowt
28-09-2012, 07:29 PM
I am a fan of Open All Mics. Love listening to it on the radio with a cup of tea. Some good banter if I'm being honest.

Hibercelona
28-09-2012, 07:57 PM
They still send commentators to every game anyway. How much more could it possibly cost them just to broadcast it over an internet stream? :confused:

A total joke.

Kato
28-09-2012, 08:31 PM
I am a fan of Open All Mics. Love listening to it on the radio with a cup of tea. Some good banter if I'm being honest.

Watch you don't spill tea on your Les Dennis video collection.

Frazerbob
28-09-2012, 08:52 PM
They still send commentators to every game anyway. How much more could it possibly cost them just to broadcast it over an internet stream? :confused:

A total joke.

It's the cost of buying the rights that's the problem.

Fantic
28-09-2012, 08:56 PM

If they could get the right people to run the show it could be good.

I've seen myself tune in and turn off again after 10 minutes cos there's not any actual football updates, just crap banter!

Kato
28-09-2012, 09:18 PM
banter!

Is that what it is. I thought it was a "Who can make the biggest tit of themselves" competition, World Class at that.

Sir David Gray
28-09-2012, 09:32 PM
It's absolutely horrendous.

I turned it on the other night when I was driving home from work to listen to the cup scores and it was so amateurish and cringeworthy.

They're clearly trying to do a radio version of the Gillette Soccer Saturday show on Sky Sports but it just doesn't work.

With all the different voices at once and everyone shouting over one another, I get lost and find it really hard to keep up with what's actually going on.

Time it got binned.

s.a.m
28-09-2012, 09:55 PM

I turned it on the other night when I was driving home from work to listen to the cup scores and it was so amateurish and cringeworthy.

They're clearly trying to do a radio version of the Gillette Soccer Saturday show on Sky Sports but it just doesn't work.

With all the different voices at once and everyone shouting over one another, I get lost and find it really hard to keep up with what's actually going on.

Time it got binned.

That's a good point. Leaving aside the amateurishnes of it. the lack of visual clues on O.A.M. means it's a bit of an incoherent stramash a lot of the time. Jeff Stelling has subtitles, sidebar information and pictures going on, which all help to make sense of the multitude of things that are happening.

Kato
28-09-2012, 09:57 PM

That is the problem, and the lack of comedy skills amongst the presenters, I don't even know why they are attempting to be funny. Jokes about how old presenters are, are barely funny to begin with but after weeks and weeks of them it wears very thin. I only tune in occasionally but when I do it's the same nonsense every time. At least with GSS you can see who is speaking, on OAM you don't which one of those morons is grunting away. Except when Hibs lose a goal and you hear "Biscuits" cackling away, occasionally laughing out loud.

Hibercelona
28-09-2012, 09:58 PM

Time it got binned.

Not to mention the really awful sounds they make when a shot just misses. :grr:

Green Cabbage 7
28-09-2012, 10:01 PM
I can't be bothered with this open all mics, especially when they jump in to tell you about the match they are commentating on the other channel! whats the point in that, if i wanted to hear about that game i would tune into the commentry of that match, so why is it on open all mics, just tell you the score that s it!

famous_fife_hibby
28-09-2012, 10:15 PM
It's the cost of buying the rights that's the problem.

Yes but they are happy to spend a fortune on the EPL though, games, highlights and radio coverage. they are using our licence fee to help pay for that,:confused:

Springbank
28-09-2012, 10:19 PM
Really. If the bbc want my business then they will stop sending died in the wool jambos to cover my teams games.

Til then, they will get what they deserve, ie no listeners in my house.

Kato
28-09-2012, 10:25 PM

Problem being, they don't give a monkeys. They think it's funny to employ those failures to slate people still in the game .

Hibernia&Alba
28-09-2012, 10:32 PM
Really. If the bbc want my business then they will stop sending died in the wool jambos to cover my teams games.

Perhaps a more fitting end for an Aberdeen fan, but no demise is too sordid for a Yam :greengrin

NORTHERNHIBBY
28-09-2012, 10:36 PM
The trouble for me with OAM is that you get the impression that if no one was listening, the content would be much the same. Those who tune in, want information on the games, not who can p1sh the highest, and as for the in jokes about *rick Young? The format only works, if the summarisers can't talk to each other.

HIBEETILLIDIE
28-09-2012, 11:35 PM
Not to mention the really awful sounds they make when a shot just misses. :grr:

ohhhh getinthere! springs to mind with one jug eared arshole!

Pete
29-09-2012, 01:55 AM
That's a good point. Leaving aside the amateurishnes of it. the lack of visual clues on O.A.M. means it's a bit of an incoherent stramash a lot of the time. Jeff Stelling has subtitles, sidebar information and pictures going on, which all help to make sense of the multitude of things that are happening.

I actually think they're doing a quite good job given the circumstances. It must be harder to do a show like open all mikes than the sky sports one which has visual aids. It's also a fairly new format and it has certainly improved from the early days.

If it is down to budget cuts then I'd rather have a show like this plus one commentary than two commentaries. If your team isn't involved then you might get an update every fifteen minutes that might be cut off if something interesting happens in the commentary game.

I think a lot of it is how you listen to the program. I've listened to it while driving or doing other things and it can sound like frustrating babble. However, I've listened to it alone in a room with no distractions and it was really good. I got a feel for what was happening in all the games and was well informed. The banter was also good and it's almost as if you are sitting in a pub with them but somehow at the matches with them too. As for the in-jokes, come on, we all know who they are!

I like it and think it's enjoyable. The one complaint is the amount of people with hearts leanings doing our games and on the show in general. More hibees please!

marti1875
29-09-2012, 06:35 AM
I've tried to persevere with this joke of a show and gave up. As someone says, the complete incoherent babbling drives ye insane!
1 guy's trying to give an update about a game then 2 others start screeching and squaking at the top of their voices at the same time you end up with no frigging clue what you're listening to or what game until they settle down and talk 1 at a time...which usually lasts 10 seconds before it starts all over again!

As for the "good banter" well each to their own i suppose but it's certainly not funny and not my definition of banter whatsoever listening to that bunch of screeching slavering eejits, just plain and simply awful. If i can't make it to a game for whatever reason it's got to be Soccer Saturday.

Can you tell i don't exactly like it? :greengrin

Dan Sarf
29-09-2012, 10:28 AM

Right, I've complained again, this time via the official BBC Complaints link - takes forever to find and fill in - and in more moderate terms as you suggest...

Hello. Can you please tell me why live commentaries for individual SPL games have been replaced by Open All Mikes which I and many other exiled football fans find confusing and unsatisfactory - see this current fans’ site debate for evidence: http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?246617-Open-All-Mouths. Also, are there any plans to revert to the original, excellent commentary service? Please tell me that there are! Yours sincerely, Dan.

Should get a response in the next two weeks. Will keep you posted!

Hibercelona
29-09-2012, 10:40 AM
ohhhh getinthere! springs to mind with one jug eared arshole!

Or when all you hear is "urrrghhhhh oooooooo, uhhhhhh" for about 5 bloody minutes.

Just tell us whats happening ya fuds!

Jack Hackett
29-09-2012, 04:17 PM
No radio coverage of the game today that i could find, and every time i tried to get OAM on my phone, all i got was 'Request for content failed'.....not the first time it's happened either.

The SPL coverage on the website is also a mess today, with the hertz score being reported as 0-1 even now...ICT only won 2-0 as well apparently.

I'd also like to know what the viewing figures were for their 24 channel red button saturation coverage of the London Olympics (not to mention BBC!, 2, 3, and News channel) as this is plainly where all the money has gone

Sick of the beeb and I want a refund.

Sir David Gray
29-09-2012, 04:20 PM
No radio coverage of the game today that i could find, and every time i tried to get OAM on my phone, all i got was 'Request for content failed'.....not the first time it's happened either.

The SPL coverage on the website is also a mess today, with the hertz score being reported as 0-1 even now...ICT only won 2-0 as well apparently.

I'd also like to know what the viewing figures were for their 24 channel red button saturation coverage of the London Olympics (not to mention BBC!, 2, 3, and News channel) as this is plainly where all the money has gone

Their Open All Mics show is garbage but they're not at fault for the scores failing to update today.

That fault was from the Press Association and, since they provide all major networks with the latest scores, it affected everyone today. The videprinter on Sky Sports News wasn't updating either since about 3:45.

Kato
29-09-2012, 04:22 PM
- see this current fans’ site debate for evidence: http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?246617-Open-All-Mouths.

Biscuits is a biased twat.

Just in case any Weegie Beeboids actually look at this.

Hibercelona
29-09-2012, 04:26 PM
Their Open All Mics show is garbage but they're not at fault for the scores failing to update today.

That fault was from the Press Association and, since they provide all major networks with the latest scores, it affected everyone today. The videprinter on Sky Sports News wasn't updating either since about 3:45.

They could have just used the flash scores website to keep them updated.

Frazerbob
29-09-2012, 05:25 PM
They could have just used the flash scores website to keep them updated.

Or picked up the phone.

matty_f
29-09-2012, 06:01 PM
I dinnae mind Open All Mics to be honest.

Beefster
29-09-2012, 08:13 PM

The Hibs game was on 810mw and AFAIK, the 24 Olympic channels were just streams of what the Olympic broadcasting folk were filming with no frills or commentry so I doubt it cost the BBC much.

I love how everyone expects the BBC to cater exactly for what they want though. It's like the Daily Mail on here sometimes.

Dan Sarf
29-09-2012, 08:34 PM
The Hibs game was on 810mw and AFAIK, the 24 Olympic channels were just streams of what the Olympic broadcasting folk were filming with no frills or commentry so I doubt it cost the BBC much.

I love how everyone expects the BBC to cater exactly for what they want though. It's like the Daily Mail on here sometimes.

The thing is, they do (it's what we pay our compulsory licence fee for). Except for the SPL who, it appears, isn't important enough.

These games were though. Obviously. :confused:

BBC football commentaries
SATURDAY, 29 SEPTEMBER

Blue Square Bet Premier
Alfreton v Braintree, 15:00 BST (BBC Radio Essex) (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football-19747913)
Barrow v Cambridge, 15:00 BST (BBC Radio Cumbria) (http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/console/bbc_radio_cumbria)
Barrow v Cambridge, 15:00 BST (BBC Radio Cambridgeshire) (http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/console/bbc_radio_cambridge)
Dartford v Hyde, 15:00 BST (BBC Radio Kent) (http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/console/bbc_radio_kent)
Gateshead v Telford, 15:00 BST (BBC Radio Shropshire) (http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/console/bbc_radio_shropshire)
Kidderminster v Macclesfield, 15:00 BST (BBC Hereford & Worcester) (http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/console/bbc_radio_hereford_worcester)
Luton v Southport, 15:00 BST (BBC Three Counties Radio) (http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/console/bbc_three_counties_radio)
Mansfield v Hereford, 15:00 BST (BBC Hereford & Worcester) (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football-19743792)
Newport County v Grimsby, 15:00 BST (Radio Humberside) (http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/console/bbc_radio_humberside)
Nuneaton v Wrexham, 15:00 BST (BBC Coventry & Warwickshire) (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football-19771150)
Nuneaton v Wrexham, 15:00 BST (BBC Radio Wales) (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/16841665)
Stockport v Ebbsfleet, 15:00 BST (BBC Radio Kent) (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football-19747915)
Woking v Tamworth, 15:00 BST (BBC Radio Surrey) (http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/console/bbc_radio_surrey)
Blue Square Bet North
Worcester City v Harrogate, 15:00 BST (BBC Hereford & Worcester) (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football-19744239)

johnrebus
29-09-2012, 08:45 PM
IMHO ,'Open all Mikes', is un-listenable.

So I don't listen to it.

:aok:

Dan Sarf
03-10-2012, 12:42 PM
Dear Mr Sarf
Reference CAS-1702381-PLYMNG
Thank you for your e-mail. Your comments were passed to the Head of Sport, who has asked that I forward his response as follows:
“As part of a contribution to the overall reduction in spend at BBC Scotland we have renegotiated our contract with the Scottish Premier League for this season.
In so doing we have reduced the number of full live commentary games available on Radio Scotland and online, a significant proportion of the latter recording very small listener numbers.
We will still offer up to 140 full match commentaries on radio alongside our Open All Mics option which will ensure reports from any matches not having live commentary.
As with all our output, this situation will be subject to regular review for the forseeable future."
Thank you, once again, for taking the time to contact us.
Details of the BBC complaints process are available online at http://www.bbc.co.uk/complaints/handle.shtml
Kind Regards
Kirsty McCrudden
BBC Complaints
www.bbc.co.uk/complaints (http://www.bbc.co.uk/complaints)
NB This is sent from an outgoing account only which is not monitored. You cannot reply to this email address but if necessary please contact us via our webform quoting any case number we provided.

In short, tough. We'll decide what games to put on not you. Even if you do pay our wages.

Meanwhile, from today's financially strapped yet still on-the-ball BBC Scottish Premier League news, Robin Van Persie wants to be more of an all-round contributor for Man Utd....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/scottish-premier

Hamish
03-10-2012, 03:20 PM
IMHO ,'Open all Mikes', is un-listenable.

So I don't listen to it.

The coverage of sport on the BBC in Scotland has been extremely poor for a good number of years. I tried to listen to it on Saturday and switched off after 10 minutes. Embarrassingly amateurish.

GraniteCityHibs
03-10-2012, 03:40 PM
Watch you don't spill tea on your Les Dennis video collection.

:faf:

GraniteCityHibs
03-10-2012, 03:59 PM
The coverage of sport on the BBC in Scotland has been extremely poor for a good number of years. I tried to listen to it on Saturday and switched off after 10 minutes. Embarrassingly amateurish.

I think it's a not bad idea, just executed really poorly.

They're trying to make a radio equivalent of Soccer Saturday but it just doesn't work on the radio in ot's current form.

The anchor (Richard Gordon in this case, who I personally think is a great sports broadcaster/anchor) has no control over the input and everyone is free to jump in at ludicrous times with a completely random shout.

Example of the difference-

SKY TV
Jeff Stelling- rounding up the scores and updates from the vidiprinter, giving out pieces of info on scorers, stats etc.

A shout from off screen..

Jeff continues what he's doing rounding it off professionally, then hands over to Merson or Thompson or whoever who will have some info on a significant event.

BBC Radio
Richard Gordon tries to give out some score updates while Chick Young fires some dull patter back right over the top of him, at a comment the incoherent and verbally handicapped Derek Ferguson has thrown his way 45 seconds prior.

He gets half way through the round up when Allan Preston shouts ''THROW IN FOR SAINT JOHNSTONE RICHARD!!!!''

He tries to keep his round up going but...

Two seconds later ''OOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHH....''

Richard scrambles over to Jim Spence to see what that gut wrenching sound could have been for...

''YES RICHARD, IT'S A GOALKICK TO ST MIRREN. A SHOT FROM 35 YARDS FROM KILMARNOCK JUST PASSED THE POST...STILL NIL-NIL!!''

....and repeat for 90 minutes!

Probably being unfair to the actual journos etc like Spence. It's the likes of Ferguson and Preston who make it sound so amateurish most of the time! Ferguson reads his full time summary like a primary school child reading a book report to the class! Embarrassing!

WindyMiller
03-10-2012, 04:06 PM

They're trying to make a radio equivalent of Soccer Saturday but it just doesn't work on the radio in ot's current form.

The anchor (Richard Gordon in this case, who I personally think is a great sports broadcaster/anchor) has no control over the input and everyone is free to jump in at ludicrous times with a completely random shout.

SKY TV
Jeff Stelling- rounding up the scores and updates from the vidiprinter, giving out pieces of info on scorers, stats etc.

Jeff continues what he's doing rounding it off professionally, then hands over to Merson or Thompson or whoever who will have some info on a significant event.

BBC Radio
Richard Gordon tries to give out some score updates while Chick Young fires some dull patter back right over the top of him, at a comment the incoherent and verbally handicapped Derek Ferguson has thrown his way 45 seconds prior.

He gets half way through the round up when Allan Preston shouts ''THROW IN FOR SAINT JOHNSTONE RICHARD!!!!''

Richard scrambles over to Jim Spence to see what that gut wrenching sound could have been for...

''YES RICHARD, IT'S A GOALKICK TO ST MIRREN. A SHOT FROM 35 YARDS FROM KILMARNOCK JUST PASSED THE POST...STILL NIL-NIL!!''

Probably being unfair to the actual journos etc like Spence. It's the likes of Ferguson and Preston who make it sound so amateurish most of the time! Ferguson reads his full time summary like a primary school child reading a book report to the class! Embarrassing!

Especially the bits about Ferguson.

:agree:

s.a.m
03-10-2012, 04:13 PM

SKY TV

BBC Radio

Pretty much sums it up. I also like Richard Gordon, and I think the programme could work, if it was better managed (and some of the dross was ditched....). I also agree with the poster further up who said they prefer having a round up programme to a second match commentary. The 'matey banter' isn't to my taste, though I recognise it might work for some.

Danderhall Hibs
03-10-2012, 09:21 PM

SKY TV

BBC Radio

Absolutely spot on mate. The number of times Richard Gordon starts talking about something relatively interesting to be interrupted about a throw-in being awarded at Dingwall is icredible. The frustrating thing being the interesting topic never gets spoken about again.