PDA

View Full Version : The future of the game and changing the voting structure in the SPL ?

GreenCastle
28-09-2012, 09:16 AM
*Please do not merge into other thread Newco thread as it's important this get's discussed*

Since Newco were given the boot over the summer and rightly put into Div 3. The talk about which way the game is taking here and any plans to change the voting structure have gone quietly into the background.

While it's been good to concentrate on the football again on the pitch - I think it's vital that clubs start to discuss again the future of the leagues and demand change with the 11-1 voting structure that still exists.

Does anyone know if there are SPL meetings coming up or if the issue is to be talked about further?

Fan power showed Newco were dealt with accordingly - again fans can put pressure on Doncaster and Regan to act and make sure the game develops and learns from what has happened this summer.

Peevemor
28-09-2012, 09:22 AM
*Please do not merge into other thread Newco thread as it's important this get's discussed*

Since Newco were given the boot over the summer and rightly put into Div 3. The talk about which way the game is taking here and any plans to change the voting structure have gone quietly into the background.

While it's been good to concentrate on the football again on the pitch - I think it's vital that clubs start to discuss again the future of the leagues and demand change with the 11-1 voting structure that still exists.

Does anyone know if there are SPL meetings coming up or if the issue is to be talked about further?

Fan power showed Newco were dealt with accordingly - again fans can put pressure on Doncaster and Regan to act and make sure the game develops and learns from what has happened this summer.

I think there'll be a few SPL chairmen that are already on the case. :agree:

Caversham Green
28-09-2012, 09:29 AM
Unless there's a league reconstruction the SPL is going to be Sevco-free for at least three years. During that time Celtc are going to be isolated as the one vote in any case, so the voting structure is probably less important than it was when Rangers were in the SPL. Indeed, it would arguably be better to keep the income distribution as it is for the time being as it means one of the bottom 11 (assuming Celtc win the league) will benefit from the second-place payout - gives them a bit extra incentive.

I agree that the voting structure needs to be changed if Sevco ever make it into the SPL as they will no doubt team up with Rangers' old partners, but I reckon it could be considered on an annual basis at the SPL AGM.

Rasta_Hibs
28-09-2012, 11:06 AM
I think we should just get on with sorting the basics and just do it now. Fair voting structure. Two up two down play offs included. A more even distribution off money and then take it from there.

Why is that so hard to do?

GreenCastle
28-09-2012, 11:16 AM
I think we should just get on with sorting the basics and just do it now. Fair voting structure. Two up two down play offs included. A more even distribution off money and then take it from there.

Why is that so hard to do?

Agreed - the money distribution is the key - 1st and 2nd still get much more than anyone else.

A pyramid structure is important to give lower level teams aspirations to achieve.

My worry is any league reconstruction will allow Newco to get back to the SPL sooner than they deserve - I do believe a 16 team league is the way forward though and 2 up and 2 down -with / without playoffs.

Rasta_Hibs
28-09-2012, 11:22 AM
I think that sevco won't get an invite in. The fans of the other clubs wont accept it like before.

Eyrie
28-09-2012, 11:34 AM
Agreed - the money distribution is the key - 1st and 2nd still get much more than anyone else.

A pyramid structure is important to give lower level teams aspirations to achieve.

My worry is any league reconstruction will allow Newco to get back to the SPL sooner than they deserve - I do believe a 16 team league is the way forward though and 2 up and 2 down -with / without playoffs.

Petrie is on record as stating that gate receipts are our largest source of income, so losing four home games is a non-starter. Even eighteen teams would mean two fewer matches so it would need to be a twenty team league. I'd question whether there is the strength in depth in Scottish football to have that many clubs in the top flight. A league of 18 or 20 would also mean that a number of teams would have little to play for in the last couple of months of a season as they would be too far behind in the race for Europe whilst being far enough ahead of the relegation places not to worry. What would attendances be for a meaningless fixture in March or April?

I'd favour two leagues of twelve, playing each other home and away and climaxing with the New Year derbies. First weekend in January would be the Scottish Cup followed by a two week break. League action would resume after that as follows -

Top eight clubs from the top twelve play home and away for the league title and Europe, keeping the points from the previous round of fixtures.
Other four play the top four from the lower twelve home and away for promotion to the next season's top twelve. All start on zero points.
Bottom eight in the lower twelve play home and away to avoid relegation to the national league (the remaining eighteen teams). They'd keep their points from the lower twelve.

Everyone gets nineteen home games, there is always something at stake with the teams that you play four times and the promotion/relegation situation is far more fluid.

Below this structure would be a national league of eighteen teams (ie the remainder of the existing 42 clubs) and underneath that a regionalised pyramid structure.