PDA

View Full Version : NHC Derek Riordan signs for Bristol Rovers (merged)

Pages : [1] 2

H18sry
27-09-2012, 04:40 PM
Tyrone Smith ‏@TyroneSTV
Bristol Rovers have signed Derek Riordan on a 3 month contract

Big step down for Deeks

JimBHibees
27-09-2012, 04:43 PM
Tyrone Smith ‏@TyroneSTV

Big step down for Deeks

Hope he does well, he really does need to get back doing what he does best, banging the goals in. Would be a criminal waste of talent if his career was to stop without 2 or 3 quality years scoring goals.

Mark McGhee is the manager down there is he not.

lord bunberry
27-09-2012, 04:43 PM
Good to see him back playing. Hopefully he can make a go of it down south

Golden Bear
27-09-2012, 04:45 PM
Potentially a good move and it's now up to Deeks to make it work.

Hibbyradge
27-09-2012, 04:49 PM
:agree:

My mate's a Rovers fan and he's quite excited about the prospect of seeing him.

RIP
27-09-2012, 04:53 PM

My mate's a Rovers fan and he's quite excited about the prospect of seeing him.

I'm sure he's watched his YouTube videos - they make fantastic viewing

silverhibee
27-09-2012, 05:26 PM
http://www.bristolrovers.co.uk/news/article/derek-riordan-394609.aspx

Gatecrasher
27-09-2012, 05:31 PM
Good luck Deeko, I hope its enough to restart your career

Greendub
27-09-2012, 05:44 PM
He will at least get back into the clubs.....once

Northernhibee
27-09-2012, 06:05 PM
Quite honestly? I fail to see him making an impact. Teams at that end of the table need grafters and he's not that.

HH81
27-09-2012, 06:08 PM
Silver when they play in Yorkshire you can sort me some tickets :-)

J-C
27-09-2012, 06:10 PM
Is Bristol Rovers div 2?

SteveHFC
27-09-2012, 06:14 PM
Silver when they play in Yorkshire you can sort me some tickets :-)

:wink:

iwasthere1972
27-09-2012, 06:14 PM
What a waste of a career. He'll look back on this in years to come and think what he could have done. A three month contract is not great. His move to Celtic started the downward spiral. Great player for Hibs and wish him all the best.

LancashireHibby
27-09-2012, 06:19 PM
Good luck to him, might keep an eye out for the Gas playing up here.

Scouse Hibee
27-09-2012, 06:30 PM
Tyrone Smith ‏@TyroneSTV

Big step down for Deeks

Hardly a step down, more like a step up for Deeks from the football wilderness. Hope he does well.

Bishop Hibee
27-09-2012, 06:50 PM
If he gets a decent fitness level back he'll score a load of goals. Good luck to a Hibs great.

kentao
27-09-2012, 07:02 PM
I really hope he takes this lifeline to get his career sorted, The best finisher i have seen at Easter road in the last 20 years. His screamer against them with Gordon in goals always brings a smile to my face.

Good luck Deeks

NORTHERNHIBBY
27-09-2012, 07:19 PM
Rovers are in deep sheet at the wrong end of the table. Hope that he can score a few and help them turn things around.

ScottB
27-09-2012, 08:43 PM
Well at least that'll stop him trying to have nights out in Edinburgh.

Wish him all the best, hopefully he finally screws the nut because a 3 month deal has 'very last chance salon' written all over it to me...

Bristolhibby
27-09-2012, 08:56 PM
Might pop along and have a look.

J

silverhibee
27-09-2012, 09:02 PM

Wish him all the best, hopefully he finally screws the nut because a 3 month deal has 'very last chance salon' written all over it to me...

He is not allowed nights out in Edinburgh. :wink:

Alfred E Newman
27-09-2012, 09:22 PM
Quite honestly? I fail to see him making an impact. Teams at that end of the table need grafters and he's not that.

:yawn:

jdships
27-09-2012, 09:30 PM

Sadly think you are right
Knew a couple of lads who played for Luton before they 'dropped out' of the Leagues and they both said there was no hiding place at that level
They didn't have anyone capable of controlling a game therefore everybody had to work that bit harder.
Still hope he makes it - always try to remember the ' good times' as far as 'Deek' is concerned :greengrin

.Sean.
27-09-2012, 09:45 PM
He should be at Hibs...

I await the usual bawbags shooting me down, I mean who needs a diehard Hibees in the squad who has over 100 goals for the club. Oh wait, he doesn't track back. Silly me.

Northernhibee
27-09-2012, 09:53 PM
:yawn:

If he scores three or more goals by December 31st I'll donate a fiver to Dnipro. A goal a month.

NOLA
27-09-2012, 09:56 PM
i have mates in bristol who are rovers through and through, they tell me deeko is now a Gashead :greengrin

Johnny0762
27-09-2012, 10:29 PM
Good luck Deeko, I hope its enough to restart your career

He needs Lithium to get his career back on track.

Johnny0762
27-09-2012, 10:31 PM
He should be at Hibs...

I await the usual bawbags shooting me down, I mean who needs a diehard Hibees in the squad who has over 100 goals for the club. Oh wait, he doesn't track back. Silly me.

He didn't want to be at Hibs, hence why he left in the first place.

But you shouldn't be shot down for your views.

silverhibee
27-09-2012, 10:34 PM
If he scores three or more goals by December 31st I'll donate a fiver to Dnipro. A goal a month.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjnyDrqdASE :aok:

Sir David Gray
27-09-2012, 10:38 PM
Tyrone Smith ‏@TyroneSTV

Big step down for Deeks

Not really.

Since he left us about 16 months ago, he's played the grand total of 13 games for a team in China (where he played for 4 months) and St Johnstone (where he played for 2 months).

Since leaving St Johnstone in May, for the last 4 months he's been unemployed so I think any offer at all would be a step up for him.

I don't think it would be right to bring him back for a 3rd spell and I don't get the impression that he has the attitude that Fenlon would be looking for anyway, however I wish him all the best for the future.

He remains one of my all time favourite players and he scored some wonderful goals during his two spells as well so I hope he does well with Bristol Rovers and can resurrect his career.

Dunbar Hibee
27-09-2012, 10:40 PM
Good luck to a modern day Hibs legend.

silverhibee
27-09-2012, 11:01 PM

Sure Sean will get back to you. :aok:

J-C
28-09-2012, 12:15 AM

My my what a nasty agenda against Deek you have, yes his career hasn't been perfect by any means but to come out with such vile hatred is just beyond belief. He did leave to go to Celtic but I'm sure money and listening to a greedy agent probably had a lot to do with it, remember Brown and Thompson left around the same time, both after they asked for more cash, in their case though we did get a transfer fee.

Johnny0762
28-09-2012, 12:23 AM
My my what a nasty agenda against Deek you have, yes his career hasn't been perfect by any means but to come out with such vile hatred is just beyond belief. He did leave to go to Celtic but I'm sure money and listening to a greedy agent probably had a lot to do with it, remember Brown and Thompson left around the same time, both after they asked for more cash, in their case though we did get a transfer fee.

Here mate, you seriously need to have a word with yourself.

I stated an utterly benign FACT and you lose the ****ing rag and start spouting made up p!sh.

Totally out of order.

Johnny0762
28-09-2012, 12:26 AM
Furthermore .. I've just noticed your avatar "Petrie Out."

What a ****ing cheek you have.

You're having a laugh, aren't you? :greengrin

jacomo
28-09-2012, 12:33 AM

Have I missed something? :confused:

cabbageandribs1875
28-09-2012, 01:55 AM
Have I missed something? :confused:

i'm still trying to find this 'vile hatred' :confused: talk about gross exaggeration jeezo :faf:

heretoday
28-09-2012, 01:59 AM
Well done Mr Riordan.

I am sure that we will be monitoring your progress forthwith - or with froth.

500miles
28-09-2012, 04:07 AM
He should be at Hibs...

At Hibs doing what? Playing? He wasn't scoring by the time he left Hibs, he hasn't been scoring since he left, he's been too unfit to manage pre-season, and now he's a last minute, short term panic buy for a team threatened with relegation to the non leagues of English football.

Lets look at his goal scoring record at Hibs too. 100 goals in 7 years? Not THAT impressive really when you consider that he spent 3/4 of those years in the most acclaimed Hibs team of my lifetime. In fact, 100 goals in 7 years tells you exactly what the relationship between us and him was - NO ONE rated him as highly as we did. We kept referring to him as a 20 goal a season player - something he only achieved once, in a team which was our most talented, attacking and set up for him to score goals in. He had the ability to score from nothing, but he also had the support from Brown, Thomson, Fletcher, O'Connor, Miller, Stokes, Whittaker, Murphy and Zemmama. He won no trophies for us, made us no transfer fees, took a big wage to get by on minimum effort. Even at Celtic, he piggybacked the meagre one or two medals he has (Unused sub in Scottish Cup Final, league winning bench warmer and prolifically unused sub 06-07). And when I
say piggybacked, I mean worse than Si Brown with us in 07, who at least made a couple of saves against QOTS!

He's no legend. His goalscoring record is overshadowed by Stokes, Fletcher has gone on to prove himself more talented and rounded a player, and fired us to glory with Benji in 07. Even with his personal issues Garry O'Connor has won more medals, and scored cup winning goals. Derek's continued brushes with the law - at nigh 30 years old now - are one thing, but the Skacel incident was unforgivable - because he directly dragged the club into his own stupidity, and perpetuated that bigotry - and taunting someone for being a refugee, even when they're not, is bigotry, in the same way referring to every slightly tanned chap on leith walk as a "paki".

Derek Riordan had the talent to be a legend, but he's an embarrassment to the club and himself, and a figure of ridicule in Scottish football. He is no positive role model to our youngsters, he's past it, and has been for years now, he doesn't score, I wouldn't want him near the youth coaching set up. So tell me what role you would give him at the club? Derek Riordan was a good player when he wanted to be, but the reason he scored 100 goals for us is because he wasn't good enough to do it anywhere else.

If he's such a diehard, maybe he'll get a half season ticket when he gets emptied from Bristol at Christmas.

Beefster
28-09-2012, 04:38 AM
My my what a nasty agenda against Deek you have, yes his career hasn't been perfect by any means but to come out with such vile hatred is just beyond belief.

Overreaction of the year.

Mon Dieu4
28-09-2012, 05:57 AM
Im gonna stop reading any thread on Riordan from here on in, they only wind me up, only we could put down and talk utter tripe about the first player in 40 odd years to score over 100 goals for us

i couldn't care less what he did or did not get up to outside of the club, he is the best finisher i have ever seen and probably will at Hibs, 64 or so of his goals came in 3 pretty good seasons to be a Hibee and every one of them was a belter of a goal

Sure his career hasn't went the way we or he probably expected but very few players actually go on to fulfil their true potential

Some folk will probably come on to reply telling me he is a no good jakey waster etc etc but as said i won't be reading it as Im done with any thread on him

Deek i hope you bang them in for any club you play for as you are a total Hibs legend

Col2
28-09-2012, 06:48 AM
Im gonna stop reading any thread on Riordan from here on in, they only wind me up, only we could put down and talk utter tripe about the first player in 40 odd years to score over 100 goals for us

i couldn't care less what he did or did not get up to outside of the club, he is the best finisher i have ever seen and probably will at Hibs, 64 or so of his goals came in 3 pretty good seasons to be a Hibee and every one of them was a belter of a goal

Sure his career hasn't went the way we or he probably expected but very few players actually go on to fulfil their true potential

Some folk will probably come on to reply telling me he is a no good jakey waster etc etc but as said i won't be reading it as Im done with any thread on him

Deek i hope you bang them in for any club you play for as you are a total Hibs legend

100% spot on. Good luck to him - a true hibee and provided numerous highlights over the years.

J-C
28-09-2012, 07:22 AM

Ok maybe a tad OTT, I apologise for that but the thread was just one stating he'd got his career started again, yes not at the highest level agreed but to make 2 posts shooting him down at the first opportunity, showed the disdain you have for him and could've been kept to yourself.

Oh! the Petrie Out bit is just that, I feel this man has been the sole reason we have been languishing in the depths this past 4-5 years.

Beefster
28-09-2012, 08:01 AM
Oh! the Petrie Out bit is just that, I feel this man has been the sole reason we have been languishing in the depths this past 4-5 years.[/COLOR]

I tend to agree with you, although I don't think that he's the sole reason, but presumably you have to give him credit for backing Fenlon and letting him improve things at ER? He's also eventually been pretty ruthless with some under-performing senior execs, which is a good thing.

Petrie's a fixture at Hibs. It's worthwhile demanding he take action but a bit pointless demanding his removal.

cheltenhamhibee
28-09-2012, 09:48 AM
Looking forward to the Rovers game even more now, will be strange not giving an opposition player with Edinburgh connections grief, oh hang on, that's reserved for any that come from the dark side of the city :thumbsup:

Captain Trips
28-09-2012, 10:03 AM
Derek had a job at Hibs to score goals and create goals in terms of all the players we have had that I have watched since 1987 in all areas he did his job well above the task and is therefore in a minority for me making him one of the greats in past 20years.

We have had loads of goalies who cant save, midfielders who cant pass or create or sit in front of defence, wingers who cant create, strikers who didnt score or create or both, we have had loads of players like that and IMO not enough Goalies who made difference, defenders who made a difference, midfielders who did the job and strikers who scored/created.

In his department Derek was excellent and IMO the only player whom if played same amount of games that would have beat him is Stokes for goals and we have had a couple of good forwards.

Good luck and for me always worth a punt to see if the magic can be harnessed.

2belhaven
28-09-2012, 10:11 AM
Due to stand trial on 9th October so why would anyone touch him with a barge-pole until the result of that is known !!??

Could be playing for HMP after that !

FranckSuzy
28-09-2012, 10:21 AM
Due to stand trial on 9th October so why would anyone touch him with a barge-pole until the result of that is known !!??

Could be playing for HMP after that !

Give it a rest eh?

Hibernia Na Eir
28-09-2012, 10:25 AM
Tyrone Smith ‏@TyroneSTV

Big step down for Deeks

Derek who?

HUTCHYHIBBY
28-09-2012, 10:57 AM

Quite right too!

frazeHFC
28-09-2012, 10:58 AM
Don't get how Hibs fans can give Riordan abuse. Ok he's been silly away from the pitch, but over 100 goals for the club, i will always remember him as one of the best players i have ever seen play for Hibs in my lifetime anyway.

Derek Riordan = Hero :not worth

HUTCHYHIBBY
28-09-2012, 11:00 AM
Derek who?

Whats that all about Mikey?

LeighLoyal
28-09-2012, 11:22 AM
if he can get fit should score a barrow load.

basehibby
28-09-2012, 11:26 AM
Tyrone Smith ‏@TyroneSTV

Big step down for Deeks

Bit of a step down in terms of quality of football compared to the SPL, but still a well supported club (moreso than St Johnstone I'd say) who really should be nowhere as far down the standings as they are.

I think he'll shine out like a beacon down there if he can just pull his finger out and gain a suitable level of match fitness. There is a paucity of real quality players in that league but it will be physically very competitive.

Good luck Deeks - your career turnaround starts here! :thumbsup:

silverhibee
28-09-2012, 11:26 AM
At Hibs doing what? Playing? He wasn't scoring by the time he left Hibs, he hasn't been scoring since he left, he's been too unfit to manage pre-season, and now he's a last minute, short term panic buy for a team threatened with relegation to the non leagues of English football.

Lets look at his goal scoring record at Hibs too. 100 goals in 7 years? Not THAT impressive really when you consider that he spent 3/4 of those years in the most acclaimed Hibs team of my lifetime. In fact, 100 goals in 7 years tells you exactly what the relationship between us and him was - NO ONE rated him as highly as we did. We kept referring to him as a 20 goal a season player - something he only achieved once, in a team which was our most talented, attacking and set up for him to score goals in. He had the ability to score from nothing, but he also had the support from Brown, Thomson, Fletcher, O'Connor, Miller, Stokes, Whittaker, Murphy and Zemmama. He won no trophies for us, made us no transfer fees, took a big wage to get by on minimum effort. Even at Celtic, he piggybacked the meagre one or two medals he has (Unused sub in Scottish Cup Final, league winning bench warmer and prolifically unused sub 06-07). And when I
say piggybacked, I mean worse than Si Brown with us in 07, who at least made a couple of saves against QOTS!

He's no legend. His goalscoring record is overshadowed by Stokes, Fletcher has gone on to prove himself more talented and rounded a player, and fired us to glory with Benji in 07. Even with his personal issues Garry O'Connor has won more medals, and scored cup winning goals. Derek's continued brushes with the law - at nigh 30 years old now - are one thing, but the Skacel incident was unforgivable - because he directly dragged the club into his own stupidity, and perpetuated that bigotry - and taunting someone for being a refugee, even when they're not, is bigotry, in the same way referring to every slightly tanned chap on leith walk as a "paki".

Derek Riordan had the talent to be a legend, but he's an embarrassment to the club and himself, and a figure of ridicule in Scottish football. He is no positive role model to our youngsters, he's past it, and has been for years now, he doesn't score, I wouldn't want him near the youth coaching set up. So tell me what role you would give him at the club? Derek Riordan was a good player when he wanted to be, but the reason he scored 100 goals for us is because he wasn't good enough to do it anywhere else.

If he's such a diehard, maybe he'll get a half season ticket when he gets emptied from Bristol at Christmas.

So not really a fan of Deeks then. :aok:

.Sean.
28-09-2012, 11:29 AM
Some sad, sad ****ers on this thread. Give it a rest.

tomhorn
28-09-2012, 11:58 AM
http://www.bristolrovers.co.uk/news/article/derek-riordan-394609.aspx

Must be the most underwhelming news release ever on a club's website. Basically saying:

- the boy is 29 and doesnt have a club
- he has been in trouble with the law
- he is not a hard worker
- has has played for hibs twice
- he couldnt get a game for celtic
- his move to china ended in disaster
- it probally wont work out for him here so we will just so we will just him 3 months

Disc O'Dave
28-09-2012, 12:06 PM

Will he have to just rely on "done-at-home bowl-cuts" after this?

Sorry, I couldn't resist....... :wink:

500miles
28-09-2012, 12:16 PM
So not really a fan of Deeks then. :aok:

Not these days. Used to cry out for him to play more under Blobby. Enjoyed watching him under TM. Was pleased, but wary, upon his return. Had had enough when he left again, baffled and exasperated by calls for a third spell when we seem to be getting the dressing room culture right.

To me, a legend embodies something positive you want about your club. Some players are remembered for trophies. Some are simply the best of thier generation. Some because of the long term commitment they show. Derek Riordan's goals are a secondary topic of discussion these days, after newspaper headlines and how good he SHOULD have been.

He was a good player. That's all.

Wheat Hound
28-09-2012, 12:17 PM
Still the last Hibee to score an Edinburgh derby winner :-( .......................until of course Captain James scores his thumping last minute winner at the pbs on 2 January :-)

RickyS
28-09-2012, 12:25 PM
Some sad, sad ****ers on this thread. Give it a rest.

spot on m8, ok the guy has let himself down a few times but he deserves a bit of respect:hnet:

Dinkydoo
28-09-2012, 12:26 PM
I hope he can get his career back on track.

Albanian Hibs
28-09-2012, 12:41 PM
Cant believe the abuse on here. Absolute shocking from so called Hibs fans. He was the best goalscorer so far in my lifetime and no one will probably come anywhere near topping that. Derek will always be one of my hibs heroes and I wish him all the best.

c31
28-09-2012, 12:44 PM
Cant believe the abuse on here. Absolute shocking from so called Hibs fans. He was the best goalscorer so far in my lifetime and no one will probably come anywhere near topping that. Derek will always be one of my hibs heroes and I wish him all the best.

Totally agree with that

Owain_1987
28-09-2012, 12:47 PM

:top marks Deeko Deeko Deeko!!!

Phil MaGlass
28-09-2012, 01:04 PM
I can understand both sides, I think we all can he was great when banging them in, then he went to sellik wasnt flavour of the month, came back played out of position alot of the time with absolutely no support from midfield, every Hibs fan can agree on the midfield, Deek could have been a legend but squandered the opportunity, he is and never will be a legend or up there with the likes of Stanton, Schaedler the famous five etc..etc.. he was as someone said a good goalscorer nothing more.
Hecomes across as a bit of a dick in the media, annoying bouncers trying to get into clubs he is barred fae, mibbe its the guys roond him, but FFS the guys almost 30 he needs tae get his finger oot and get his life in order. I would love to see him get fit, start banging them in again and get noticed, I dont think thats gonnae happen though. If he cant get rid of the attitude(IMO) and surround himself with a decent bunch, he will just be another what IF player, shame. A fully fit, sharp and focussed Deeks would have walked into most teams by now.Get yir finger oot Deeks.
ATTITUDE ATTITUDE ATTITUDE

Oh aye, this is the last time I will comment on a Deeks thread, they are starting to do ma nut in.

Johnny0762
28-09-2012, 01:16 PM

Ok maybe a tad OTT, I apologise for that but the thread was just one stating he'd got his career started again, yes not at the highest level agreed but to make 2 posts shooting him down at the first opportunity, showed the disdain you have for him and could've been kept to yourself.

Oh! the Petrie Out bit is just that, I feel this man has been the sole reason we have been languishing in the depths this past 4-5 years.

Ahhh its okay for you to criticise Petrie though?

I would stake money on a mood stabiliser sorting out Riordan's off~field problems.

But he's a hero to you so there's no point in telling you that he's a complete waster and has achieved nowhere near his potential.

Johnny0762
28-09-2012, 01:21 PM
Totally agree with that

Mind and show your kids the youtube video of him in the pub. Mind tell them about his off~field shenanigans and ask them what they think constitutes a hero, and ask them if he fits the bill.

I remember being stood under the big floodlight in the old east and asking my dad why George Best wasn't playing. My dad told me he was probably still in the pub. Hero? Not for me.

BroxburnHibee
28-09-2012, 01:33 PM
Mind and show your kids the youtube video of him in the pub. Mind tell them about his off~field shenanigans and ask them what they think constitutes a hero, and ask them if he fits the bill.

I remember being stood under the big floodlight in the old east and asking my dad why George Best wasn't playing. My dad told me he was probably still in the pub. Hero? Not for me.

Or he could show him all the youtube clips off his goals which are far more relevant.

Nobody is perfect and Derek is easily the most gifted Hibs striker I have had the pleasure of watching.

We all make our own choices in life - think I'll leave Derek to his own thanks very much.

haagsehibby
28-09-2012, 01:37 PM
The trouble with Riordan is that, to paraphrase Eddie Turnbull, "his brains are aw in his feet".

J-C
28-09-2012, 02:11 PM
Ahhh its okay for you to criticise Petrie though?

I would stake money on a mood stabiliser sorting out Riordan's off~field problems.

But he's a hero to you so there's no point in telling you that he's a complete waster and has achieved nowhere near his potential.

I retract my apology, your reply here says it all. :confused::confused:

Riordan aint no hero of mine, in fact I've lambasted him numerous times on here, Silverhibee will tell you that. :wink:

I'll criticise Petrie because he's the man at the helm, Derek has come and gone but Petrie is the man who's led us to the most dismal period of the clubs history this past 4-5 years.

Oh by the way, for your information Jimmy O'Rourke was and always will be my hero.

Judas Iscariot
28-09-2012, 02:17 PM
Good luck Derek :thumbsup:

Do well down there, get your sharpnes back, score a few goals and regain some form just in time to sign for us in January to help us clinch the league flag :agree:

Johnny0762
28-09-2012, 02:19 PM
Or he could show him all the youtube clips off his goals which are far more relevant.

Nobody is perfect and Derek is easily the most gifted Hibs striker I have had the pleasure of watching.

We all make our own choices in life - think I'll leave Derek to his own thanks very much.

Yes, you're right, we all make our own lifestyle choices and Derek Riordan chose to totally abuse his natural talent and the honour of playing top level football.

That is exactly why he is where he is just now.

marinello59
28-09-2012, 02:21 PM

Riordan was a massive footballing hero to my wee lad. Why wouldn't he be? All he was interested in was what he did on the park. Then again I don't buy in to the footballer as role model thing for anything other than what they do on the pitch.

JDHibs
28-09-2012, 02:42 PM
Hibee legend!

Wasted once he went to celtic!

Will always be a hero at easter road in my eyes!

500miles
28-09-2012, 03:20 PM
I can understand both sides, I think we all can he was great when banging them in, then he went to sellik wasnt flavour of the month, came back played out of position alot of the time with absolutely no support from midfield, every Hibs fan can agree on the midfield, Deek could have been a legend but squandered the opportunity, he is and never will be a legend or up there with the likes of Stanton, Schaedler the famous five etc..etc.. he was as someone said a good goalscorer nothing more.
Hecomes across as a bit of a dick in the media, annoying bouncers trying to get into clubs he is barred fae, mibbe its the guys roond him, but FFS the guys almost 30 he needs tae get his finger oot and get his life in order. I would love to see him get fit, start banging them in again and get noticed, I dont think thats gonnae happen though. If he cant get rid of the attitude(IMO) and surround himself with a decent bunch, he will just be another what IF player, shame. A fully fit, sharp and focussed Deeks would have walked into most teams by now.Get yir finger oot Deeks.
ATTITUDE ATTITUDE ATTITUDE

Oh aye, this is the last time I will comment on a Deeks thread, they are starting to do ma nut in.

If I was feeling diplomatic at 5am this morning, this is what I would have wrote. Derek made a few golden moments for us, but dragged himself down too much to be put on a pedastal.

500miles
28-09-2012, 03:31 PM
I retract my apology, your reply here says it all. :confused::confused:

Riordan aint no hero of mine, in fact I've lambasted him numerous times on here, Silverhibee will tell you that. :wink:

I'll criticise Petrie because he's the man at the helm, Derek has come and gone but Petrie is the man who's led us to the most dismal period of the clubs history this past 4-5 years.

Oh by the way, for your information Jimmy O'Rourke was and always will be my hero.

The last 4-5 years were dismal right enough. European football, a CIS cup win, and being in a strong enough position to lead the charge on heaving the Huns into the deserved abyss. The last couple of years were piss poor, but still not the worst in the clubs history. The only out and out failed manager at Hibs since Duffy was Calderwood, and even he came with the track record and non-hibs background the fans begged for.

Bishop Hibee
28-09-2012, 03:38 PM

By all accounts Willie Hamilton was a total waster off the pitch but a genius on it. My dad reckoned he had as much talent as anyone who ever wore a Hibs jersey. He was fortunate not to live in the internet age where every aspect of his personal life would have been scrutinised by 'fans'.

Riordan was a Hibernian great on the pitch which is ultimately all I'm bothered about. In some ways I'm glad he never fulfilled his potential as it meant I saw him more in a Hibs jersey more often banging in the goals.

GreenArmyyy!
28-09-2012, 03:58 PM
Deeko the Hibee man, he's got a nightclub ban, he may be a radge but he kisses the badge, deeko the Hibee man!

Johnny0762
28-09-2012, 05:15 PM
Riordan was a massive footballing hero to my wee lad. Why wouldn't he be? All he was interested in was what he did on the park. Then again I don't buy in to the footballer as role model thing for anything other than what they do on the pitch.

That's really what separates and cocoons footballers from the reality of normal life which the rest of us have to face.

Can you imagine a video appearing on youtube of yourself singing the refugee song, being in the papers repeatedly for defying nightclub bans and still getting into even more hot bother whilst defying those bans? You would be sacked from your job and no one else for miles around would hire you at interview after remembering your name and face.

The sorry truth is that most of us can't really afford to attend matches, and we skip bills, or miss out on buying things required for ourselves or the home to get to the matches, and this financial sacrifice funds a very comfortable lifestyle for these footballers. Do they appreciate it? Well obviously some, like Mr Riordan don't give a flying toss about us or our hard earned.

That is exactly why fans have the right to criticise. They're paying for the nonsense.

Johnny0762
28-09-2012, 05:22 PM
By all accounts Willie Hamilton was a total waster off the pitch but a genius on it. My dad reckoned he had as much talent as anyone who ever wore a Hibs jersey. He was fortunate not to live in the internet age where every aspect of his personal life would have been scrutinised by 'fans'.

Riordan was a Hibernian great on the pitch which is ultimately all I'm bothered about. In some ways I'm glad he never fulfilled his potential as it meant I saw him more in a Hibs jersey more often banging in the goals.

By all accounts Willie Hamilton was also a waster on the pitch. 8 senior clubs, two spells at the ****bos, 256 appearances over his career and 65 goals as a striker. 15 goals in 50 games for Hibs. Hardly prolific by any standard to be honest.

Also, his one and only Scotland cap suggests he wasn't good enough to be play for his country. Now, I'm not old enough to have watched the guy but the figures speak volumes.

erin go bragh
28-09-2012, 05:45 PM
By all accounts Willie Hamilton was also a waster on the pitch. 8 senior clubs, two spells at the ****bos, 256 appearances over his career and 65 goals as a striker. 15 goals in 50 games for Hibs. Hardly prolific by any standard to be honest.

Also, his one and only Scotland cap suggests he wasn't good enough to be play for his country. Now, I'm not old enough to have watched the guy but the figures speak volumes.
Was it not Jock Stein that said Hamilton was one of the most talented players he ever coached :cb but what would he know .

ggtth

Johnny0762
28-09-2012, 06:06 PM
Was it not Jock Stein that said Hamilton was one of the most talented players he ever coached :cb but what would he know .

ggtth

I'm not contesting whether or not he had talent. All I'm saying is that the figures are less than trail blazing, which suggests, as I previously pointed out, that he was hardly a genius and must have been a waster of this talent on the park. His record surely doesn't lie?

According to my Rangers supporting friends they agree Jock Stein knew a lot. :greengrin:greengrin

Tha Cabbage Kid
28-09-2012, 06:08 PM

this guy's a jambo...............

clerriehibs
28-09-2012, 06:25 PM
I'm not contesting whether or not he had talent. All I'm saying is that the figures are less than trail blazing, which suggests, as I previously pointed out, that he was hardly a genius and must have been a waster of this talent on the park. His record surely doesn't lie?

According to my Rangers supporting friends they agree Jock Stein knew a lot. :greengrin:greengrin

ltyf

FranckSuzy
28-09-2012, 06:36 PM
There's a funny smell on this thread.

Johnny0762
28-09-2012, 06:49 PM
There's a funny smell on this thread.

You're right, it reeks of paranoia in here.:agree:

Johnny0762
28-09-2012, 06:52 PM
ltyf

Is this Welsh?

clerriehibs
28-09-2012, 06:57 PM
You're right, it reeks of paranoia in here.:agree:

That's probably something to do with the ale you've been supping too much of.

Johnny0762
28-09-2012, 07:12 PM

Why? Because he steps forth from the sheep and dares speak his mind with an alternative view?

Captain Trips
28-09-2012, 07:15 PM
This topic can go on and on and it is all about our own parameters. Nobody IMO is going to change anyones points or thoughts on him. Some of us think he was great, some think average, some care about what goes on off pitch some do not, some people think players are role models some do not.

As a player for Hibs I care not about anything but the 90mins so for me he is right up there, better in his time at Hibs than Fletcher and Garry O, IMO the best forward I have seen at Hibs regardless of nightclubs etc. He fits my idea of an all time great and I do not care if that doesnt fit in with other peoples thoughts on what a legend or all time great is.

Derek Riordan did a great job for us the record states that, I could slag 10+ players abilty that have come in to do his job or were doing it before him and were not even close.

clerriehibs
28-09-2012, 07:21 PM
Why? Because he steps forth from the sheep and dares speak his mind with an alternative view?

You leave that sheep alone, now

silverhibee
28-09-2012, 07:35 PM
Is this Welsh?

Irvine. :dunno:

Johnny0762
28-09-2012, 07:45 PM
This topic can go on and on and it is all about our own parameters. Nobody IMO is going to change anyones points or thoughts on him. Some of us think he was great, some think average, some care about what goes on off pitch some do not, some people think players are role models some do not.

As a player for Hibs I care not about anything but the 90mins so for me he is right up there, better in his time at Hibs than Fletcher and Garry O, IMO the best forward I have seen at Hibs regardless of nightclubs etc. He fits my idea of an all time great and I do not care if that doesnt fit in with other peoples thoughts on what a legend or all time great is.

Derek Riordan did a great job for us the record states that, I could slag 10+ players abilty that have come in to do his job or were doing it before him and were not even close.

That's exactly it. You couldn't have put it any better.

But the ones who are critical of Riordan aren't the ones flipping out and calling others Jambos, or ridiculing them as below par Hibs fans for their views.

Certain members need to think about showing a little more tolerance to views which differ from their own. Please. :thumbsup:

500miles
28-09-2012, 08:09 PM

Na, I just support Hibs and pick my own favourites.

marinello59
28-09-2012, 08:38 PM

I agree with you.:confused:
:greengrin

J-C
28-09-2012, 08:53 PM
The last 4-5 years were dismal right enough. European football, a CIS cup win, and being in a strong enough position to lead the charge on heaving the Huns into the deserved abyss. The last couple of years were piss poor, but still not the worst in the clubs history. The only out and out failed manager at Hibs since Duffy was Calderwood, and even he came with the track record and non-hibs background the fans begged for.

Collins, took over a decent Mowbray team, had great bunch of youngsters, lost the dressing room, bad signings and bottled it when things didn't go our way.

Yogi, crap football, decent results, got 4th by the skin of our teeth when things went downhill rapidly after January, summer signings were atrocious ( booted )

Mixu, crap signings and no plan B when things didn't go right, right job, wrong time.

Calderwood, no heart, crap signings, no charisma, couldn't motivate at all.

All this under Petrie's tenure, all his signings :confused: hopefully he's learnt a leason but it's came at a great expense to the club. Large payments made to managers and players when things don't work out as planned, no continuity and stability and a huge turnover in players.

Captain Trips
28-09-2012, 09:03 PM
I agree with you.:confused:
:greengrin

That will never do :greengrin

hhibs
28-09-2012, 09:09 PM

Would you care to put down that shovel and stop digging?

" I 'm not old enough to have watched the guy"(Willie Hamilton) yet you blast him..,sorry I did ,and apart from what Jock Stein had to say the late Joe Baker thought him the best too.

Anyway when did any player outside of the old firm ever get the caps they deserved?

Johnny0762
28-09-2012, 09:22 PM
Collins, took over a decent Mowbray team, had great bunch of youngsters, lost the dressing room, bad signings and bottled it when things didn't go our way.

Yogi, crap football, decent results, got 4th by the skin of our teeth when things went downhill rapidly after January, summer signings were atrocious ( booted )

Mixu, crap signings and no plan B when things didn't go right, right job, wrong time.

All this under Petrie's tenure, all his signings :confused: hopefully he's learnt a leason but it's came at a great expense to the club. Large payments made to managers and players when things don't work out as planned, no continuity and stability and a huge turnover in players.

I'll also throw caution to the wind and agree with you here. :top marks

Has Petrie learned his lesson? Well, if you take his recent track record as you have pointed out, and the fact that he announced after Dunderwood's departure that he would not be involved in the managerial selection process this time around, so far Pat (not his man) is doing okay and building for the future, then yes you'd have to then say he has learned. Learned to delegate to others what he has failed with.

I think our current league position reflects on the standard of SPL team having lowered this season due to financial cut backs, but that's not a negative issue in my mind. I think that's just given us a lot more breathing space to get together a decent side again without immediately finding ourselves under pressure at the foot of the table form the word go.

See you all for sing song at noon. :greengrin:pfgwa

Johnny0762
28-09-2012, 09:31 PM
Would you care to put down that shovel and stop digging?

" I 'm not old enough to have watched the guy"(Willie Hamilton) yet you blast him..,sorry I did ,and apart from what Jock Stein had to say the late Joe Baker thought him the best too.

Anyway when did any player outside of the old firm ever get the caps they deserved?

I only said he was hardly a prolific striker, which he wasn't. Perhaps he was amazing assisting his strike partners but on paper is his record is average. Nothing to do with being non old firm.

I just don't get how this striker was so good yet scored so few goals? You were there, please explain it then?

Tha Cabbage Kid
28-09-2012, 09:32 PM
Na, I just support Hibs and pick my own favourites.

Just think what riordan DID do when he was here deserves more respect for his goals alone. your right by saying he's wasted his tallent but he did a great job for us none the less.

looking at hibs alone he was much better than oconnor, fletcher, stokes or miller!

Jonnyboy
28-09-2012, 09:47 PM
I only said he was hardly a prolific striker, which he wasn't. Perhaps he was amazing assisting his strike partners but on paper is his record is average. Nothing to do with being non old firm.

I just don't get how this striker was so good yet scored so few goals? You were there, please explain it then?

To be fair, Willie Hamilton wasn't really a striker - more a midfielder. (edit: depends on what description is preferred :greengrin)

Stats themselves don't offer a full picture. For example, Arthur Duncan was a forward who played 626 games for us but 'only' scored 114 goals. Doesn't sound like a good rate for a forward but he brought a whole lot more than goals to the team.

Johnny0762
28-09-2012, 09:57 PM
Just think what riordan DID do when he was here deserves more respect for his goals alone. your right by saying he's wasted his tallent but he did a great job for us none the less.

looking at hibs alone he was much better than oconnor, fletcher, stokes or miller!

But career and honour wise he is incomparable to any of them.

I think even his worst critics know he done well when he was doing the business for us. I think us critics are just highly frustrated with him, seeing him come through as a young laddie and then watching him and his career disintegrate. None of us wish it on him. That's it, frustration.

clerriehibs
28-09-2012, 10:06 PM
But career and honour wise he is incomparable to any of them.

I think even his worst critics know he done well when he was doing the business for us. I think us critics are just highly frustrated with him, seeing him come through as a young laddie and then watching him and his career disintegrate. None of us wish it on him. That's it, frustration.

Maybe his career. But in what way has he disintegrated?

Johnny0762
28-09-2012, 10:26 PM
Maybe his career. But in what way has he disintegrated?

Without physical injuries, players with that amount of raw talent don't experience a total slump in their career over a sustained period of time without having personal problems. Come on man, it's obvious the guy isnae right. How many other footballers in such a privileged position with so much talent to play for do you know who can't have a pint in his own home town due to his social etiquette, or lack of it?

If being barred from every pub and club in town, and then getting caught drunk and throwing punches at revellers in or around said nightclubs that he is banned from isn't the classic signs of a man in self destruct mode then I don't know what is.

I'll bat the ball back to you though... Do you think his behaviour is that of a man without personal problems?

hhibs
28-09-2012, 11:16 PM

Re: Willie Hamilton He had his demons ...the drink but was a great footballer

You said he was a striker,nope he was a winger/mid fielder...ish, and oh so talented.

Are you on angry pills or something ,seems you are determined to make an issue of these players failings, not their football talent and you do seem to getting more personal in regards to these players the longer this thread runs.

I just wish we could all live up to to the high moral standards you clearly live by.

deeks01
28-09-2012, 11:25 PM
Without physical injuries, players with that amount of raw talent don't experience a total slump in their career over a sustained period of time without having personal problems. Come on man, it's obvious the guy isnae right. How many other footballers in such a privileged position with so much talent to play for do you know who can't have a pint in his own home town due to his social etiquette, or lack of it?

If being barred from every pub and club in town, and then getting caught drunk and throwing punches at revellers in or around said nightclubs that he is banned from isn't the classic signs of a man in self destruct mode then I don't know what is.

I'll bat the ball back to you though... Do you think his behaviour is that of a man without personal problems?

You've hit the nail on the head there... Twice.

The man is obviously on a milder version of a self destruct path whereby it's his career that's getting ****ed.

But the other point is on threads like this , that I try not to post on cause it all dissolves into argument , many people seem to look through green tinted glasses from the past and see Riordan as still a young kid who will eventually settle down and make a decent career of it. The fact is he's almost 30 and still hasn't grown up enough to make the most of the most talented pair of feet I've seen at Easter road in my young hibs following career. Fighting relegation with Bristol Rovers? He could be playing premiership football by now if he'd applied himself instead he's a panic buy for a lower league English team on a 3 month contract which at the end of it , unless he really impresses , most clubs will be thinking 'wouldn't touch this washed up journey man with a barge pole.' It's very sad to see.

PS - And before I get accused of the usual nonsense I absolutely adore the guy , maybe doesn't come across in this post , he has given me so many of my favourite Hibs moments. Just so frustrating to watch.

PPS - Before anyone else points it out I don't know how much of the stories in the press are fabricated to a degree but as its the Scottish media I assume some of it is. However the point remains he still won't grow up and make the most of his talent by knuckling down , getting fit and giving the party lifestyle a miss. Unless he's been doing all this while out of contract and intends to make the most of his 3 month contract... Who knows , time will tell.

Johnny0762
28-09-2012, 11:27 PM
!He had his demons ...the drink but was a great footballer

You said he was a striker,nope he was a winger and oh so talented.

Are you on angry pills or something ,seems you are determined to make an issue of these players failings, not their football talent.

I just wish we could all live up to to the high moral standards you clearly live by.

PMSL ... Eejits that can't control their lives on the drink and you think I'm making an issue of their failings? I think it's pretty evident they both did so by their own accord without any help from me.

Your man had a better record in his two spells in Gorgie. :greengrin

Angry pills? You got me mixed up with yourself perhaps?

Booked4Being-Ugly
28-09-2012, 11:28 PM

looking at hibs alone he was much better than oconnor, fletcher, stokes or miller!I wouldn't waste your time with posters like 500miles who rated Colin Nish and John Rankin but is highly opinionated when it comes to Riordan for some reason.

Johnny0762
28-09-2012, 11:33 PM
You've hit the nail on the head there... Twice.

The man is obviously on a milder version of a self destruct path whereby it's his career that's getting ****ed.

But the other point is on threads like this , that I try not to post on cause it all dissolves into argument , many people seem to look through green tinted glasses from the past and see Riordan as still a young kid who will eventually settle down and make a decent career of it. The fact is he's almost 30 and still hasn't grown up enough to make the most of the most talented pair of feet I've seen at Easter road in my young hibs following career. Fighting relegation with Bristol Rovers? He could be playing premiership football by now if he'd applied himself instead he's a panic buy for a lower league English team on a 3 month contract which at the end of it , unless he really impresses , most clubs will be thinking 'wouldn't touch this washed up journey man with a barge pole.' It's very sad to see.

PS - And before I get accused of the usual nonsense I absolutely adore the guy , maybe doesn't come across in this post , he has given me so many of my favourite Hibs moments. Just so frustrating to watch.

PPS - Before anyone else points it out I don't know how much of the stories in the press are fabricated to a degree but as its the Scottish media I assume some of it is. However the point remains he still won't grow up and make the most of his talent by knuckling down , getting fit and giving the party lifestyle a miss. Unless he's been doing all this while out of contract and intends to make the most of his 3 month contract... Who knows , time will tell.

That is it. It's not a dislike for the guy. It's the incredulous waste of a promising career.

500miles
28-09-2012, 11:44 PM

That's one way to spin it.
JC managed us to an astonishing Cup Final victory. Even if you say its TMs team, he never managed to win anything with them, and it was RP who selected him.

Mixu was a victim of inflated fan expectation and secured respectable top six football when our top players were leaving, or had left in droves. He would have set some cracking foundations at the club, given time.

Yogi got us into Europe, regardless of how - and there was some damn good football early doors. Stokes, Deek, Zouma, Miller and Benji.... favourites of his, and flair players.

Calderwood fitted the fan criteria. No Hibs connections, proven track record from championship to league 2.

Calderwood was the failure.

Johnny0762
28-09-2012, 11:52 PM
That's one way to spin it.
JC managed us to an astonishing Cup Final victory. Even if you say its TMs team, he never managed to win anything with them, and it was RP who selected him.

Mixu was a victim of inflated fan expectation and secured respectable top six football when our top players were leaving, or had left in droves. He would have set some cracking foundations at the club, given time.

Yogi got us into Europe, regardless of how - and there was some damn good football early doors. Stokes, Deek, Zouma, Miller and Benji.... favourites of his, and flair players.

Calderwood fitted the fan criteria. No Hibs connections, proven track record from championship to league 2.

Calderwood was the failure.

No, that's not how I recall it. I recall being played off the park at Easter Road in early games, St Mirren as an example, and coming through with all 3 points. We rode our luck early on that season then went into free fall and somehow managed to qualify for Europe. We all see things differently though.

500miles
28-09-2012, 11:55 PM

His goalscoring record was better, except for Stokes. His all round play was not. Was Kris Boyd a better player for the Huns than Kenny Miller? Of course not, but he played in a way which got the goals in his name.

Johnny0762
29-09-2012, 12:00 AM
His goalscoring record was better, except for Stokes. His all round play was not. Was Kris Boyd a better player for the Huns than Kenny Miller? Of course not, but he played in a way which got the goals in his name.

But struggled to get a start at Ibrox in bigger games, especially European games because he was not a team player.

500miles
29-09-2012, 12:23 AM
But struggled to get a start at Ibrox in bigger games, especially European games because he was not a team player.

Remember though, Riordan got bumped out the team in favour of more dependable, team players in big games on more than one occassion.

tooley
29-09-2012, 12:43 AM
Tyrone Smith ‏@TyroneSTV

Big step down for Deeks

A greater and more naturally gifted player than our present number 10 will ever be, even he tries and trains for the next thirty years, good luck Deek, I for one so hope it works out for you.

500miles
29-09-2012, 05:49 AM
I wouldn't waste your time with posters like 500miles who rated Colin Nish and John Rankin but is highly opinionated when it comes to Riordan for some reason.

Neither Nish or Rankin had the ability to he club legends. That's the difference, and you're being wilfully ignorant by acting like it's not obvious. I have time for players who treat the club with at least a bit of professionalism and respect. I rate both players as better than Riordan NOW, but neither are is, or will ever be as good as he was at his best.

Who the **** are you to judge what sort of supporter or poster I am? 15 years a season ticket holder, regular PATG last year, I think im as entitled to an opinion as anyone, particularly about who I regard as a hero or club legend.

HH81
29-09-2012, 06:11 AM
Does anyone know how Silver is getting on the long drive to Exeter? Crazy man.......

Hibrandenburg
29-09-2012, 07:25 AM
Good luck to him. Will take a passing interest in his career like I would do to any exceptional ex-Hibby. No more and no less.

clerriehibs
29-09-2012, 08:43 AM

Who doesn't have personal problems? That doesnt mean the man has disintegrated. As I said, maybe his career, but yoiu suggested he has - there's no evidence of that whatsoever.

Maybe if there was a police record as long as his arm, I could be persuaded you were right. What's that? He doesn't have one, you say? Have to find some other evidence to show "the guy isane right". I don't know hopw to find out; maybe you do - are you his mum, wife or close family member? I somehow doubt it.

Maybe it's what gets printed in the local paper called the Edinburgh Evening News. That rag is so full of nimby, agenda-laden ***** for its predominantly blue-rinsed readership that nothing can be taken from it, other than the stories it prints are warped for its own purposes. It's as bad as the Sun, but in a less clever way.

Maybe it's the video of singing a song? So ****ing what? He was with his mates, singing a football song that many football supporters sang. So what if it was disrespectful? Most football songs are. He wasn't doing any actual harm to Skacel. It was a private moment; just like Craig Brown's little video was, and Prince Charles's "I wish I was a tampon" moment, and Kate getting her knickers off outdoors was private, and Prince Harry getting his kit off at a private party ... none of them are falling apart, none, so far as most people are concerned, were guilty of anything other than a bit of daftness.

Derek was a supreme talent, who couldn't make the break from his home town. For that, he gets crucified. He was a young lad, who couldn't go out on the with his mates, without being harassed by the local neds, usually aligned with the wee-minded team in Edinburgh.

So what if he reacted from time to time? Who wouldn't? And it was always too easy for the bouncers, whose reputation in Edinburgh is usually worse than Derek's, to make their mark and try to get their few seconds of fame, to deny Riordan. Shame they weren't clever (or brave) enough to ban the real trouble makeers, or even the pushers some of them happily let into their clubs.

What's worse; the police backed them, and publicly at that. Never any charges for Riordan, but they agreed with the punishment. It's exactly the same as the "kettling" crowd containment they use at demonstrations. Punish everyone, innocent or not, just to make their own job easier.

Whatever you previously said about not paying hard earned cash for that sort of behaviour, you paid money to watch whatever team Hibs put on the field. Nothing more, nothing less. You can't claim you paid money for Derek Riordan or any other Hibs player to live a lifestyle that you approve of. He's not a Mother Theresa figure. But hey, neither were you.

Hibbyradge
29-09-2012, 08:51 AM
Who doesn't have personal problems? That doesnt mean the man has disintegrated. As I said, maybe his career, but yoiu suggested he has - there's no evidence of that whatsoever.

Maybe if there was a police record as long as his arm, I could be persuaded you were right. What's that? He doesn't have one, you say? Have to find some other evidence to show "the guy isane right". I don't know hopw to find out; maybe you do - are you his mum, wife or close family member? I somehow doubt it.

Maybe it's what gets printed in the local paper called the Edinburgh Evening News. That rag is so full of nimby, agenda-laden ***** for its predominantly blue-rinsed readership that nothing can be taken from it, other than the stories it prints are warped for its own purposes. It's as bad as the Sun, but in a less clever way.

Maybe it's the video of singing a song? So ****ing what? He was with his mates, singing a football song that many football supporters sang. So what if it was disrespectful? Most football songs are. He wasn't doing any actual harm to Skacel. It was a private moment; just like Craig Brown's little video was, and Prince Charles's "I wish I was a tampon" moment, and Kate getting her knickers off outdoors was private, and Prince Harry getting his kit off at a private party ... none of them are falling apart, none, so far as most people are concerned, were guilty of anything other than a bit of daftness.

Derek was a supreme talent, who couldn't make the break from his home town. For that, he gets crucified. He was a young lad, who couldn't go out on the with his mates, without being harassed by the local neds, usually aligned with the wee-minded team in Edinburgh.

So what if he reacted from time to time? Who wouldn't? And it was always too easy for the bouncers, whose reputation in Edinburgh is usually worse than Derek's, to make their mark and try to get their few seconds of fame, to deny Riordan. Shame they weren't clever (or brave) enough to ban the real trouble makeers, or even the pushers some of them happily let into their clubs.

What's worse; the police backed them, and publicly at that. Never any charges for Riordan, but they agreed with the punishment. It's exactly the same as the "kettling" crowd containment they use at demonstrations. Punish everyone, innocent or not, just to make their own job easier.

Whatever you previously said about not paying hard earned cash for that sort of behaviour, you paid money to watch whatever team Hibs put on the field. Nothing more, nothing less. You can't claim you paid money for Derek Riordan or any other Hibs player to live a lifestyle that you approve of. He's not a Mother Theresa figure. But hey, neither were you.

:top marks

500miles
29-09-2012, 10:09 AM

What a load of excuses. Loads of players get hassle in town, no just Derek, he just continues to prove that he doesn't learn from it. The Skacel song is BLATANT bigotry, which has been unacceptable for decades now, along the lines of "Oh Edinburgh is wonderful". The police backed the bouncers because clubs have the right to refuse ANYONE entry, and Derek and his mates have form. HE STILL DOESN'T LEARN.

However, the nightclub thing doesn't bother me. The Skacel song does, because it reflects badly on the club and the hard-of-thought element clung to it, which reflected poorly again.
Let's not forget the embarrassing, agent written trash that he used to put out in the record, which led fans on about staying at the club if they gave him a fair deal, when he knew there wasn't a hope in hell of us matching Celtic.

The thing that bothers me the most is that Derek Riordan has been blessed, not just with great talent, but great fortune. Many gifted players find themselves winding down at 30 because they've spent a decade getting kicked, suffering and playing through injuries which effects them longer term. They lose speed, quick feet, balance and durability. Riordan never got badly injured as a professional. A few knocks as anyone would, but never anything that required the sort of rehab Brown, Thomson, Zemmama and O'Connor endured. However, Derek has physically deteriorated because if his own lack of professionalism and his own personal choices. That's when "personal problems" become a professional issue with my club who pay his wages to produce as a player, when my patience ran out, and when legendary status became laughable. I'm no looking for perfection, just better than the monumental baggage and continual disappointment.

hhibs
29-09-2012, 11:27 AM
PMSL ... Eejits that can't control their lives on the drink and you think I'm making an issue of their failings? I think it's pretty evident they both did so by their own accord without any help from me.

Your man had a better record in his two spells in Gorgie. :greengrin

Angry pills? You got me mixed up with yourself perhaps?

Nothing angry about it, just wanting to suggest you are perhaps just a little.................anyway,try to chill out you clearly are a man of impeccable character and therefore fully justified in your views on others.

blackpoolhibs
29-09-2012, 11:50 AM
Some great goals and displays for Hibs, some terrific goals against them too.

For that he's a legend imo, why folk want to have a go at him because he's not done it for other teams is quite confusing for me, i dont care how he plays for anyone else except us? :confused:

clerriehibs
29-09-2012, 11:57 AM
What a load of excuses. Loads of players get hassle in town, no just Derek, he just continues to prove that he doesn't learn from it. The Skacel song is BLATANT bigotry, which has been unacceptable for decades now, along the lines of "Oh Edinburgh is wonderful". The police backed the bouncers because clubs have the right to refuse ANYONE entry, and Derek and his mates have form. HE STILL DOESN'T LEARN.

However, the nightclub thing doesn't bother me. The Skacel song does, because it reflects badly on the club and the hard-of-thought element clung to it, which reflected poorly again.
Let's not forget the embarrassing, agent written trash that he used to put out in the record, which led fans on about staying at the club if they gave him a fair deal, when he knew there wasn't a hope in hell of us matching Celtic.

The thing that bothers me the most is that Derek Riordan has been blessed, not just with great talent, but great fortune. Many gifted players find themselves winding down at 30 because they've spent a decade getting kicked, suffering and playing through injuries which effects them longer term. They lose speed, quick feet, balance and durability. Riordan never got badly injured as a professional. A few knocks as anyone would, but never anything that required the sort of rehab Brown, Thomson, Zemmama and O'Connor endured. However, Derek has physically deteriorated because if his own lack of professionalism and his own personal choices. That's when "personal problems" become a professional issue with my club who pay his wages to produce as a player, when my patience ran out, and when legendary status became laughable. I'm no looking for perfection, just better than the monumental baggage and continual disappointment.

Whinging nonsense.

If he had "physically deteriorated" so much McGhee wouldn't have signed him.

George Best is a legend, but I suppose that's laughable so far as you're concerned now.

Maradona too.

Latapy; he was a bit of a lad, never reached the levels he should have. Legend for me, but probably not for you.

Continual disappointment? Derek Riordan has provided more good memories for me from his time at Easter Road than any other player. And he'll have added way more into Hibs coffers due to increased attendances than they ever paid out for him.

You be disappointed. For me, he was a local lad who did well. Very well indeed. He attracted the attentions of the ***** in this town, but rather than stand up for him, even some of our own were always looking to knock him down.

And he has little or no "form", other than bouncers either not liking him, or being scared of the ***** that he attracted (wee-minded team *****) and taking the easy option and barring Riordan.

Beefster
29-09-2012, 02:52 PM
And he has little or no "form", other than bouncers either not liking him, or being scared of the ***** that he attracted (wee-minded team *****) and taking the easy option and barring Riordan.

All of his bother with clubs and bouncers have been because they don't like him or can't be bothered doing their job properly? None of the incidents have ever been his fault?

DaveF
29-09-2012, 03:44 PM
Back to football.

Started the game today and has been subbed after 73 mins with Rovers 2-1 up away at Exeter.

grunt
29-09-2012, 03:51 PM
Started the game today and has been subbed after 73 mins with Rovers 2-1 up away at Exeter.

Had a quiet game according to some on Twitter, two Rovers fans saying he wasn't match fit. The only mention he got on the BBC text commentary was when he was subbed. Hope he comes good down there.

500miles
29-09-2012, 03:56 PM
Whinging nonsense.

If he had "physically deteriorated" so much McGhee wouldn't have signed him.
The reason McGhee can sign him at all is because how poor his current condition is. He was too unfit to manage pre season training with any decent outfit, so a manager of desperate 4th tier strugglers have taken a low risk, short term, punt on him.
George Best is a legend, but I suppose that's laughable so far as you're concerned now.
George Best was possibly the Greatest ever. Derek Riordan is just Derek Riordan. In fact, George Best is no Hibs legend either. He was a sideshow in a team that got relegated, and took the piss out of the club. In the end, Best didn't look in the mirror and see a legend - he saw a tragedy, and he admitted it on his deathbed.
Maradona too.
Similar to a Best, but more "fanny" than tragic. Still on a level of exceptional ability that would gain him legendary status if he started each day with a hearty bowl of fruit and foetuses.
Latapy; he was a bit of a lad, never reached the levels he should have. Legend for me, but probably not for you.
Latapy is a bit of a hero to me because he actually DID turn it round a bit, although not at Hibs. I don't consider him a Hibs legend, because his actions cost us dear in the Scottish Cup Final against Celtic. However, when he added that bit of self control to his game, it saw him do great things for Falkirk and Trinidad, I felt a bit if faith restored. Watching him come on as a " sentimental" sub against England in the WC, and seeing the "golden generation" fail to get a touch of the ball from him wad probably one of the most "feel good" moments I've had as a football fan.

Continual disappointment? Derek Riordan has provided more good memories for me from his time at Easter Road than any other player. And he'll have added way more into Hibs coffers due to increased attendances than they ever paid out for him.
It's difficult to say how much he made/ cost Hibs. What I do know is that other players signed contracts they knew they wouldn't complete because it meant Hibs got a fair transfer fee fir them. Derek Riordan not only ran down his contract to accellerate his departure, but was prepared to site out half a season of football so Celtic didn't have to pay us any compo.
You be disappointed. For me, he was a local lad who did well. Very well indeed. He attracted the attentions of the ***** in this town, but rather than stand up for him, even some of our own were always looking to knock him down.

I'm it was all the big bad jambo mafia picking on poor Derek. I tell you what, I hope he never tries to build an extension to any of his Edinburgh properties, because the council will be a nightmare with planning permission.

To me, Derek Riordan was a good player. No more, no less. He is no longer, and hasn't been for a couple of years, a good player. He's no a wee boy, and his poor attitude, public embarrassment, and last few years performances have undermined any claim to being a legend.

erin go bragh
29-09-2012, 04:04 PM

For that he's a legend imo, why folk want to have a go at him because he's not done it for other teams is quite confusing for me, i dont care how he plays for anyone else except us? :confused:
Exactly ,over 100 goals for us ,Hibs legend :not worthend of .

ggtth:not worth

500miles
29-09-2012, 04:21 PM

My issue is making players like him "legends", devalues the term. Sauzee is a legend because he was just sublime and embodied everything good about watching Hibs.

To me, Murphy was the best fullback to pull on the green and white in my lifetime, was a cornerstone in a great team, and a trophy winner, as well as being a credit to the club. Id call him a legend, although I know others will disagree.

I like to think the term "legend" sets these guys apart from the less talented and more flawed players. Derek, to me, had too many flaws to be a legend, but I never deny that he was a good player for us. However, there can never be criticism of Derek Riordan on .net, because the thread turns into the blasphemy scene from Life of Brian. Its beyond reason.

blackpoolhibs
29-09-2012, 04:26 PM
My issue is making players like him "legends", devalues the term. Sauzee is a legend because he was just sublime and embodied everything good about watching Hibs.

To me, Murphy was the best fullback to pull on the green and white in my lifetime, was a cornerstone in a great team, and a trophy winner, as well as being a credit to the club.

I like to think the term "legend" sets these guys apart from the less talented and more flawed players. Derek, to me, had too many flaws to be a legend, but I never deny that he was a good player for us. However, there can never be criticism of Derek Riordan on .net, because the thread turns into the blasphemy scene from Life of Brian.

Sauzee was superb for a couple of seasons, a legend for some not others, me i'd say yes. As was Murphy and that cup winning team will all go down as legends whether you like it or not.

Riordan will also be a legend for more than most, just because of his contributions to the Hibs team, again whether you like it or not. Its for what he done as a Hibs player, nothing more nothing less.

Booked4Being-Ugly
29-09-2012, 04:39 PM

To me, Murphy was the best fullback to pull on the green and white in my lifetime, was a cornerstone in a great team, and a trophy winner, as well as being a credit to the club. Id call him a legend, although I know others will disagree.

I like to think the term "legend" sets these guys apart from the less talented and more flawed players. Derek, to me, had too many flaws to be a legend, but I never deny that he was a good player for us. However, there can never be criticism of Derek Riordan on .net, because the thread turns into the blasphemy scene from Life of Brian. Its beyond reason.

Jeezo, :rolleyes: Riordan IS a legend whether you like it or not - despite your crusade to discredit the good things he done for Hibs.

500miles
29-09-2012, 04:54 PM
Sauzee was superb for a couple of seasons, a legend for some not others, me i'd say yes. As was Murphy and that cup winning team will all go down as legends whether you like it or not.

Riordan will also be a legend for more than most, just because of his contributions to the Hibs team, again whether you like it or not. Its for what he done as a Hibs player, nothing more nothing less.

Well that's fine, and that's your opinion. You'll not get any vitrol or accusations from me, but how come anyone who takes the opposite view about Riordan - and by the way, I'm not backing up my opinion with anything other than common knowledge or recorded fact - is a jambo or a lesser supporter? I choose to set the goalposts a bit closer together as regards revered players. I mean, even with the Cup Final team, guys like McNeil should never have to buy a drink in Leith again, but I wouldn't put him on a legendary plinth with Stanton or Hunter.

500miles
29-09-2012, 04:56 PM
Jeezo, :rolleyes: Riordan IS a legend whether you like it or not - despite your crusade to discredit the good things he done for Hibs.

im not discrediting the good, but im not shy of his flaws either.

blackpoolhibs
29-09-2012, 04:57 PM
Well that's fine, and that's your opinion. You'll not get any vitrol or accusations from me, but how come anyone who takes the opposite view about Riordan - and by the way, I'm not backing up my opinion with anything other than common knowledge or recorded fact - is a jambo or a lesser supporter? I choose to set the goalposts a bit closer together as regards revered players. I mean, even with the Cup Final team, guys like McNeil should never have to buy a drink in Leith again, but I wouldn't put him on a legendary plinth with Stanton or Hunter.

You dont get to choose though, we all get that choice.

Viva_Palmeiras
29-09-2012, 05:06 PM

Did you live through the Miller era? I'd be interested to learn of anyone who went through those turgid years that wouldn't view the goals Riordan gave as worthy of raising him to legendary status. Each to their own. Out of curiosity what's your rationale behind Hunter as a legend? Breaking the yams run, longevity of service, passion ?

Booked4Being-Ugly
29-09-2012, 05:10 PM
im not discrediting the good, but im not shy of his flaws either.So he was a wee bit of a knob away from football, big deal. I tend to concentrate on him scoring over 100 goals for Hibs :not worth

Why don't you put it to the vote then on Hibs.net? Should be easy enough to sort out once and for all and if you are wrong you can come on here and make an apology?

:cb

500miles
29-09-2012, 05:10 PM
You dont get to choose though, we all get that choice.

I'm not choosing for anyone. I'm challenging thier view, particularly when they try and deny his faults. When Marinello59 says he just cannae see past the goals and the good, im not calling him stupid, or being aggressive, because I know that us where it starts and ends with some people. That's fine, but because I choose to base my own opinion on BOTH the good and the bad, I'm a jambo or a lesser supporter.

To use the McNeil comparison again, I would challenge that a player who was widely deemed "not good enough" can really be a legend. But its just a challange to an opinion, and it wouldn't get the hysterical outrage that the Riordan debate gets.

HH81
29-09-2012, 05:18 PM
Did he play today?

Johnny0762
29-09-2012, 05:35 PM
So he was a wee bit of a knob away from football, big deal. I tend to concentrate on him scoring over 100 goals for Hibs :not worth

Why don't you put it to the vote then on Hibs.net? Should be easy enough to sort out once and for all and if you are wrong you can come on here and make an apology?

That's a form of bullying.

There are eleven players in a football team, not ten. Riordan's attitude on the park at times was nothing more than childish petulance. During his second spell with us, he knocked the stuffing out of what respect I had for him and his goals with his screwed up moanin bassa face. He looked unhappy and it's obvious that made a lot of fans unhappy.

The fact that his career elsewhere apart from Easter Road has been a total and complete failure speaks volumes.

500miles
29-09-2012, 05:36 PM
Did you live through the Miller era? I'd be interested to learn of anyone who went through those turgid years that wouldn't view the goals Riordan gave as worthy of raising him to legendary status. Each to their own. Out of curiosity what's your rationale behind Hunter as a legend? Breaking the yams run, longevity of service, passion ?
I started going to Hibs games at 3 years old, so I got the tail end of Miller, and can't remember much. In fact, I don't remember much of Hunter (testimonial standing out most, with John Leslie in goals! ) - he's no hero of mine, but for other Hibbies, they mention a combination of all those qualities. Maybe having always had Stokes, Zitellis, Mixus, O'Connors, Fletcher, Griffiths, Miller, Latapy etc. has me less impressed than fans who endured first choice strikers who couldn't break double figures.

Johnny0762
29-09-2012, 05:43 PM
Did he play today?

He did, yes.

"McGhee had handed debuts to loan signings Derek Riordan and Tom Eaves. Riordan, a three-times capped Scotland international, showed a few nice touches but is clearly lacking match sharpness after not playing for a number of months, whilst Eaves showcased some intelligent link-up play – but should have done better with a chance on the stroke of half-time."

http://www.thisisbristol.co.uk/time-Exeter-City-1-Bristol-Rovers-2/story-17010252-detail/story.html

500miles
29-09-2012, 05:43 PM
So he was a wee bit of a knob away from football, big deal. I tend to concentrate on him scoring over 100 goals for Hibs :not worth

An apology for having an opinion the majority don't agree with? Are you trying to make me bite? Do you have a genuine issue with freedom of speech? I'm going to assume you've misunderstood.

marinello59
29-09-2012, 05:48 PM
When Marinello59 says he just cannae see past the goals and the good, im not calling him stupid, or being aggressive, because I know that us where it starts and ends with some people.

There's not many people can say that. :greengrin

marinello59
29-09-2012, 05:50 PM

I agree with you about Riordan but your last remark is just plain daft. We swap opinions on here, there is no right or wrong.

J-C
29-09-2012, 06:00 PM
Deary deary me, this thread has gone from being a good luck to one of our own, to lets bash an ex player yet again thread.

Why oh why do certain posters always have to bring the negativity to a thread like this. On his day Riordan was an exceptional talent but over the years he hasn't fulfilled his undoubted potential, he has had off field problems but so have many others in this game. Best......wonderful footballer, maybe the best ever but an alcoholic and womaniser. Gascoine.....another genius on his day and we all know his problems. Barton, maybe not the same talent but has anger management issues and recently Terry......racism, cheating in his marriage etc, the list goes on and on.

For crying out loud give it a rest................admin it would be nice to see this closed as it's merely becoming a tit for tat argument which could last for eternity.

Booked4Being-Ugly
29-09-2012, 06:06 PM
That's a form of bullying.

There are eleven players in a football team, not ten. Riordan's attitude on the park at times was nothing more than childish petulance. During his second spell with us, he knocked the stuffing out of what respect I had for him and his goals with his screwed up moanin bassa face. He looked unhappy and it's obvious that made a lot of fans unhappy.

The fact that his career elsewhere apart from Easter Road has been a total and complete failure speaks volumes.

I agree with you about Riordan but your last remark is just plain daft. We swap opinions on here, there is no right or wrong.It was tongue in cheek and not intended to offend. Apologies to 500miles if that's the way he took it.

Billy Whizz
29-09-2012, 07:23 PM
Good luck to Derek. Don't know why so much abuse is aimed at him on here?

Capt Mainwaring
29-09-2012, 07:30 PM

Spot on. Good luck to the lad who gave us so many great memories and fantastic goals.

blackpoolhibs
29-09-2012, 07:44 PM
Spot on. Good luck to the lad who gave us so many great memories and fantastic goals.

Ah but if he'd only screwed the nut he could have scored loads of goals for someone else too? :wink:

Johnny0762
29-09-2012, 08:06 PM

Maybe you've had a wee weekend tipple mate, but you're falling into this same trap as others, exaggerating.

There is no abuse aimed at Derek Riordan on this thread, just opinions, and mainly facts.

Squealing pig
29-09-2012, 11:17 PM
Guy was a legend on a football pitch.

Liberal Hibby
29-09-2012, 11:57 PM
There's some irony about his debut for the gasheads. Exeter's equaliser was scored by that other Scottish 'badboy' Jamie Cureton (remember him?) and Rovers' winner was scored by the guy who came on for Riordan...

500miles
30-09-2012, 12:19 AM
It was tongue in cheek and not intended to offend. Apologies to 500miles if that's the way he took it.

Fair enough. I could walk away from this argument, but would rather put my point across than be misunderstood or misrepresented, regardless of the criticism it attracts. Otherwise, what is the point of a fans forum?

Steve-O
30-09-2012, 03:53 AM
There's some irony about his debut for the gasheads. Exeter's equaliser was scored by that other Scottish 'badboy' Jamie Cureton (remember him?) and Rovers' winner was scored by the guy who came on for Riordan...

Cureton is English.

jgl07
30-09-2012, 01:34 PM

Not quite. Riordan was subbed just after the winning goal was scored according to the BBC report.

Johnny0762
30-09-2012, 01:45 PM

Cureton is English.

Not quite. Riordan was subbed just after the winning goal was scored according to the BBC report.

Sorry Liberal, there's plenty irony in this but not as you thought lol. :thumbsup:

Johnny0762
30-09-2012, 02:22 PM
And just to prove that there is something in what Riordan's critics are saying....

Mark McGhee has just signed the guy, and he said this about him in today's Cream Bun on Sunday....

"Derek is a bit of an enigma.

"Some supporters will wonder about him because he is not the most industrious of players. When it comes to creativity, however, he can be brilliant.

"He has great feet and offers fantastic shooting, passing and crossing ability.

"Some people will love him - and others will hate him."

J-C
30-09-2012, 03:53 PM
And just to prove that there is something in what Riordan's critics are saying....

Mark McGhee has just signed the guy, and he said this about him in today's Cream Bun on Sunday....

"Some supporters will wonder about him because he is not the most industrious of players. When it comes to creativity, however, he can be brilliant.

Ah but nothing mentioned about his social life, the football bit we all agree with, you were having a go at his personal life :confused:

Johnny0762
30-09-2012, 04:19 PM
Ah but nothing mentioned about his social life, the football bit we all agree with, you were having a go at his personal life :confused:

Ahhh, you got me fair and square. Quite obviously his personal life has nothing to do with the slump in his career.

To be fair you must be right, and that his career nose dive is purely down to him being an untalented *****e football player.:aok:

J-C
30-09-2012, 05:06 PM
Ahhh, you got me fair and square. Quite obviously his personal life has nothing to do with the slump in his career.

To be fair you must be right, and that his career nose dive is purely down to him being an untalented *****e football player.:aok:

Yap yap yap yap yap, never ending bull****, did Deek have a wee fling with your missus and that's why you seem to hate him so much.

Funny how Best's career never really went downhill, him being an alcoholic womaniser too.................Gazza pretty much drank his whole career, played with some top teams during that time, only in his latter career did it really show.

Time to give it a rest for f*** sake. :confused:

SRHibs
30-09-2012, 05:20 PM
Yap yap yap yap yap, never ending bull****, did Deek have a wee fling with your missus and that's why you seem to hate him so much.

Funny how Best's career never really went downhill, him being an alcoholic womaniser too.................Gazza pretty much drank his whole career, played with some top teams during that time, only in his latter career did it really show.

Yup, George Best got his big move in 1979, when he was well into his 30's - with bad habits intact.

Johnny0762
30-09-2012, 05:31 PM

George Best and Paul Gascoigne. Two pitifully sad men in their latter years. Great examples. Carry on.

Here's what we'll do, we'll get a fishing rod and a couple of tins of Carling and we'll sort Deeks out, right?

SRHibs
30-09-2012, 05:36 PM
George Best and Paul Gascoigne. Two pitifully sad men in their latter years. Great examples. Carry on.

Here's what we'll do, we'll get a fishing rod and a couple of tins of Carling and we'll sort Deeks out, right?

:tee hee:

I think you're fighting a losing battle here buddy. When he was here, he was a good player for us. I don't think he deserves to be revered like he is on here, but each to their own. I also think that the vast majority will agree that he's a sickening waste of talent, as were Gascoigne and Best, who could've been even bigger superstars than they already were.

blackpoolhibs
30-09-2012, 06:13 PM

I think you're fighting a losing battle here buddy. When he was here, he was a good player for us. I don't think he deserves to be revered like he is on here, but each to their own. I also think that the vast majority will agree that he's a sickening waste of talent, as were Gascoigne and Best, who could've been even bigger superstars than they already were.

Not me, i think he did a terrific job for us, not really that bothered how he played for anyone else. We certainly got our moneys worth from him and some.

HUTCHYHIBBY
30-09-2012, 06:33 PM
Not me, i think he did a terrific job for us, not really that bothered how he played for anyone else. We certainly got our moneys worth from him and some.

Sums it up for me, although its good to keep an eye on players when Rod has one of his sell on clauses in place, or, if they play for Scotland, but, after that I couldnae give a dogs dangler!

Some of the hand ringing and self righteous cack on this thread is quite amusing though.

Johnny0762
30-09-2012, 06:47 PM

I'm wasting my time nothing mate. Mark McGhee has just signed the man, and we'll all have to agree that he's more a footballing mind that anyone posting here. He has said, in today's papers, the exact same as I've been saying about Riordan.

That's enough for me.

Johnny0762
30-09-2012, 06:49 PM
Sums it up for me, although its good to keep an eye on players when Rod has one of his sell on clauses in place, or, if they play for Scotland, but, after that I couldnae give a dogs dangler!

Some of the hand ringing and self righteous cack on this thread is quite amusing though.

LOL, total oxymoron. If you'd stuck to the self righteous cack bit, and not added the hypocritical hand ringing jibe it would have carried.

What a laugh though. :thumbsup:

Johnny0762
30-09-2012, 06:54 PM
The George Best example is hilarious from Hibs fans though.

The man treated our club with a total lack of respect. He treated himself and his family with the same respect mind you.

He was on £thousands per appearance at Hibs and that's comparable to what? £20k or £30k, perhaps even more in today's money.

Yes, when he played Hibs got their dough back in crowds, but still, many fans (including a very young me) turned up to see him and he never bothered dragging himself out of the pub.

tamig
30-09-2012, 06:54 PM

As someone else has pointed out, Jamie Cureton isn't Scottish - not even "Levein Scottish" from what I recall. And when did he become a "badboy". Model pro from what I can gather and still scoring at a decent rate in the veteran stage of his career.

Iggy Pope
30-09-2012, 06:58 PM
As someone else has pointed out, Jamie Cureton isn't Scottish - not even "Levein Scottish" from what I recall. And when did he become a "badboy". Model pro from what I can gather and still scoring at a decent rate in the veteran stage of his career.

Maybe a badboy as we went after him and didn't get him!

Iggy Pope
30-09-2012, 07:04 PM

The man treated our club with a total lack of respect. He treated himself and his family with the same respect mind you.

He was on £thousands per appearance at Hibs and that's comparable to what? £20k or £30k, perhaps even more in today's money.

Yes, when he played Hibs got their dough back in crowds, but still, many fans (including a very young me) turned up to see him and he never bothered dragging himself out of the pub.

Man.You sound so disillusioned with footballers and their flawed genius. And such a bitter experience this proved to your young self.

I am surprised you kept going.

You did keep going.

Didn't you?

J-C
30-09-2012, 07:07 PM
I'm wasting my time nothing mate. Mark McGhee has just signed the man, and we'll all have to agree that he's more a footballing mind that anyone posting here. He has said, in today's papers, the exact same as I've been saying about Riordan.

That's enough for me.

Some quotes from yourself

Mind and show your kids the youtube video of him in the pub. Mind tell them about his off~field shenanigans and ask them what they think constitutes a hero

Yes, you're right, we all make our own lifestyle choices and Derek Riordan chose to totally abuse his natural talent and the honour of playing top level football.

That is exactly why he is where he is just now

Can you imagine a video appearing on youtube of yourself singing the refugee song, being in the papers repeatedly for defying nightclub bans and still getting into even more hot bother whilst defying those bans? You would be sacked from your job and no one else for miles around would hire you at interview after remembering your name and face.

The sorry truth is that most of us can't really afford to attend matches, and we skip bills, or miss out on buying things required for ourselves or the home to get to the matches, and this financial sacrifice funds a very comfortable lifestyle for these footballers. Do they appreciate it? Well obviously some, like Mr Riordan don't give a flying toss about us or our hard earned.

Mostly snipes and digs at Riordans off field problems, nothing whatsoever about his on field game

From McGee

Nothing to do with off field and all to do with on field, how is this the same as you've been saying. :confused:

jgl07
30-09-2012, 07:09 PM

Are you joking?

Best was effectively washed up by the age of 26. For a former European Footballer of the year to be playing (or rather not playing) at Stockport County by the age of 27 looks like going downhill to me!

Gascoigne extended his career by moving to Scotland.

When Best was playing, and to a lesser extent when Gascoigne was active, the drinking culture in football was commonplace.

Things have changed. You cannot get away with it these days.

LeighLoyal
30-09-2012, 07:12 PM
Gascoigne was finished as a force at 30, same with Mo Johnstone. Bevvy shortens careers.

J-C
30-09-2012, 07:19 PM
Are you joking?

Best was effectively washed up by the age of 26. For a former European Footballer of the year to be playing (or rather not playing) at Stockport County by the age of 27 looks like going downhill to me!

Gascoigne extended his career by moving to Scotland.

When Best was playing, and to a lesser extent when Gascoigne was active, the drinking culture in football was commonplace.

Things have changed. You cannot get away with it these days.

Best played at 16 and finished at Man U at 27, 11 years at the very top, then it went down hill, still the greatest to ever kick a ball in my mind.

Gascoine played at a very high level for 10 years before Rangers.

My point being although these guys had off field problems but they were still pure class acts, like Deek when he was with us 1st time round, no need to keep having a go at his problems, this was just a thread to say good luck and hopefully get his career back on track, he has to start somewhere.

Johnny0762
30-09-2012, 07:21 PM
Some quotes from yourself

Mind and show your kids the youtube video of him in the pub. Mind tell them about his off~field shenanigans and ask them what they think constitutes a hero

That is exactly why he is where he is just now

Mostly snipes and digs at Riordans off field problems, nothing whatsoever about his on field game

From McGee

Nothing to do with off field and all to do with on field, how is this the same as you've been saying. :confused:

If you cannot work it out for yourself, or with others helping you, that Riordan's on field problems and off field problems are one in the very same, then there is little scope for me going on about it any more.

J-C
30-09-2012, 07:24 PM
If you cannot work it out for yourself, or with others helping you, that Riordan's on field problems and off field problems are one in the very same, then there is little scope for me going on about it any more.

Nobody ever said they didn't go hand in hand but you have been a one man vigilante continually slating the guy at every opportunity, I agree about his private life but the thread was purely a good luck to the guy, instead it's been all about how nasty and such a drunken waster he is, just give a rest FFS.

Kato
30-09-2012, 07:25 PM

Best was an alcoholic and paid dearly for his illness, or as you call it "lack of respect".

Tom Hart knew he was getting damaged goods when he foisted him on Turnbull. Pity you never saw him, I watched all 20 odd games he played and he gave some entertainment during an already horrible season.

Scouse Hibee
30-09-2012, 07:28 PM
Imagine the stick Deek would have got on here if he had scored only a handful of goals for Hibs :rolleyes:

J-C
30-09-2012, 07:28 PM
Best was an alcoholic and paid dearly for his illness, or as you call "lack of respect".

Tom Hart knew he was getting damaged goods when he foisted him on Turnbull. Pity you never saw him, I watched all 20 odd games he played and he gave some entertainment during an already horrible season.

Even at this stage in his career, he was 4 times the player all the rest were, his footballing brain was so far advanced compared to everyone else.
he added hundreds if not thousands to the crowd and paid for his wages easily.

J-C
30-09-2012, 07:29 PM
Imagine the stick Deek would have got on here if he had scored only a handful of goals for Hibs :rolleyes:

Ssssshhhhh!!!! :wink:

silverhibee
30-09-2012, 08:12 PM

There seemed to be a lot of paedo chants and other vile stuff about young girls shouted at him yesterday from the BR fans, but there was other stuff sung towards Exeter players that were not too nice either, still don't know if it was meant to be banter or for real.

Cuerton looked good yesterday. :aok:

FranckSuzy
30-09-2012, 08:22 PM
Best played at 16 and finished at Man U at 27, 11 years at the very top, then it went down hill, still the greatest to ever kick a ball in my mind.

Gascoine played at a very high level for 10 years before Rangers.

My point being although these guys had off field problems but they were still pure class acts, like Deek when he was with us 1st time round, no need to keep having a go at his problems, this was just a thread to say good luck and hopefully get his career back on track, he has to start somewhere.

Liberal Hibby
30-09-2012, 09:40 PM
Sorry Liberal, there's plenty irony in this but not as you thought lol. :thumbsup:

Aaach given I've got it wrong it's not irony it's clearly morony!

clerriehibs
30-09-2012, 09:54 PM
Nobody ever said they didn't go hand in hand but you have been a one man vigilante continually slating the guy at every opportunity, I agree about his private life but the thread was purely a good luck to the guy, instead it's been all about how nasty and such a drunken waster he is, just give a rest FFS.

:top marks

silverhibee
30-09-2012, 09:56 PM

And that started yesterday FS, it's a pity how the DR threads turn out nowadays, he done ok yesterday and 70+ mins under his belt and the BR fans that i spoke to were delighted he had signed for them, a bit hard to understand the accent at times, :greengrin, but they probably thought the same about me. :greengrin

Did see a bloke with a Hibs fleece top on in the away end, was that you Bristolhibby. :thumbsup:

Johnny0762
30-09-2012, 09:58 PM
I take it the thread descended into personal abuse judging by the deleted posts?

Johnny0762
30-09-2012, 10:00 PM

I can't take you seriously. One man band? Another gross exaggeration.

FranckSuzy
30-09-2012, 10:02 PM
I take it the thread descended into personal abuse judging by the deleted posts?

Serious question, have you just a) got out of jail or b) got a new PC? Your post count must have increased by about 500% over the last few days....:wink:

J-C
30-09-2012, 10:18 PM
I can't take you seriously. One man band? Another gross exaggeration.

You can take me and others seriously, you have continued this abuse of an ex player for quite a number of posts now and TBH you're making yourself look moronic, I thought the admin would have seen enough to close this thread but obviously not.

As I and others have said on numerous occasions, we agree Derek hasn't bathed himself in glory all the time and his career has went down fairly quickly but no one apart from yourself is taking great delight in slating the guys character. His character is not in question here it's his football ability and if he has a chance to turn that around by playing at Bristol Rovers, then good luck to him.

Johnny0762
30-09-2012, 11:00 PM
You can take me and others seriously, you have continued this abuse of an ex player for quite a number of posts now and TBH you're making yourself look moronic, I thought the admin would have seen enough to close this thread but obviously not.

As I and others have said on numerous occasions, we agree Derek hasn't bathed himself in glory all the time and his career has went down fairly quickly but no one apart from yourself is taking great delight in slating the guys character. His character is not in question here it's his football ability and if he has a chance to turn that around by playing at Bristol Rovers, then good luck to him.

You seem to be one of these people who cannot tolerate views which you don't agree with. The admin comment and hoping the thread gets closed is proof of that. There's a simple solution for you. Don't click on the thread I'd its only upsetting you. I'd you didn't like a TV program you'd change the channel.

Johnny0762
30-09-2012, 11:03 PM
Serious question, have you just a) got out of jail or b) got a new PC? Your post count must have increased by about 500% over the last few days....:wink:

Jesus. Are you the post count Police?

silverhibee
30-09-2012, 11:07 PM
You seem to be one of these people who cannot tolerate views which you don't agree with. The admin comment and hoping the thread gets closed is proof of that. There's a simple solution for you. Don't click on the thread I'd its only upsetting you. I'd you didn't like a TV program you'd change the channel.

You crack on. :aok:

frazeHFC
30-09-2012, 11:08 PM
Jeez man, give it a rest. I know just as well as anyone that when you are on your own in an arguement with .net there is no way of winning. Pointless arguements and sarcastic responses do you no good and just end up giving you a reputation of talking pish, and a warning from admin. Have some sleep.

silverhibee
30-09-2012, 11:09 PM
Jesus. Are you the post count Police?

The poster is a medical person, maybe they are worried about you. :aok:

Jonnyboy
30-09-2012, 11:11 PM
The poster is a medical person, maybe they are worried about you. :aok:

What's the medical term for unhealthy obsession again? :wink:

Johnny0762
30-09-2012, 11:18 PM

Medical? For a perceived cognitive issue?

Intolerant bully describes your post.

Jonnyboy
30-09-2012, 11:20 PM

Aye, very good

.Sean.
30-09-2012, 11:21 PM

Jamboitis.

frazeHFC
30-09-2012, 11:21 PM

You should report him to an admin. :agree:

SRHibs
30-09-2012, 11:26 PM
Jamboitis.

Oh dear....

Bristolhibby
30-09-2012, 11:27 PM
And that started yesterday FS, it's a pity how the DR threads turn out nowadays, he done ok yesterday and 70+ mins under his belt and the BR fans that i spoke to were delighted he had signed for them, a bit hard to understand the accent at times, :greengrin, but they probably thought the same about me. :greengrin

Did see a bloke with a Hibs fleece top on in the away end, was that you Bristolhibby. :thumbsup:

Fraid not mate. I was watching the kids (Sky sports news) while the missus was out.

J

silverhibee
30-09-2012, 11:29 PM
Admins all over this thread, hope it is not closed but a warning to folk to keep on track that this thread started as a good luck thread to Deek and stick to that.

Good luck Deek at Bristol Rovers. :thumbsup:

Jonnyboy
30-09-2012, 11:30 PM
Admins all over this thread, hope it is not closed but a warning to folk to keep on track that this thread started as a good luck thread to Deek and stick to that.

Indeed. I'm grateful to him for his efforts at ER and wish him well in the future

Johnny0762
30-09-2012, 11:30 PM
You should report him to an admin. :agree:

Lmao I can handle myself.

SRHibs
30-09-2012, 11:32 PM

TBH, I thought the 'unhealthy obsession' bit was aimed at SH, who clearly comes on everyday, sticks "Riordan" in the search, and proceeds to respond to EVERY thread in which he's mentioned.

Johnny0762
30-09-2012, 11:33 PM
Jeez man, give it a rest. I know just as well as anyone that when you are on your own in an arguement with .net there is no way of winning. Pointless arguements and sarcastic responses do you no good and just end up giving you a reputation of talking pish, and a warning from admin. Have some sleep.

Lmao @ sarcastic responses then have some sleep.

What exactly have I done to merit a warning from admin.

This is turning into a go tell mummy club. Lmao

frazeHFC
30-09-2012, 11:33 PM
Lmao I can handle myself.

Never mind, never expected you to get the joke.....

And get some sleep is serious suggestion, you'll wake up thinking 'why'd i bother with the arguements'.

HNA4
30-09-2012, 11:35 PM
Any chance we can get this thread back on topic and stop the squabbling? Our members come here to read about football and footballers.

silverhibee
30-09-2012, 11:37 PM
Fraid not mate. I was watching the kids (Sky sports news) while the missus was out.

J

Enjoyed the game, different experience, :greengrin hopefully be down on Wednesday. :aok::greengrin

Johnny0762
30-09-2012, 11:37 PM
Never mind, never expected you to get the joke.....

And get some sleep is serious suggestion, you'll wake up thinking 'why'd i bother with the arguements'.

I wish I could get some sleep but I'm sitting in casualty with suspected broken ribs. Bloomin busy in here tonight.

silverhibee
30-09-2012, 11:44 PM
I wish I could get some sleep but I'm sitting in casualty with suspected broken ribs. Bloomin busy in here tonight.

Accident was it, hope the ribs aren't hurting to much. :aok:

silverhibee
30-09-2012, 11:54 PM
TBH, I thought the 'unhealthy obsession' bit was aimed at SH, who clearly comes on everyday, sticks "Riordan" in the search, and proceeds to respond to EVERY thread in which he's mentioned.

I doubt it was aimed at me, but i suppose only Jonnyboy can answer that. :agree:

I don't really get involved that much in threads about him anymore, they only end up going one way, it was a good luck thread and was :hijack: by a few who wanted to shoot him down in flames.

He done good for Hibs on the pitch. That's what fans should remember him for and the 104 goals he scored in his time.

Did you forget to wish him good luck. :wink:

500miles
01-10-2012, 02:40 AM

"A warning"? What, so if someone doesn't wish him good luck, what happens? Does someone turn up at the door? Booted from .net?
I wish anyone trying to better themselves the best of luck, but that doesn't mean biting my tongue, either - particularly on a forum for open discussion like .net is meant to be. The fact is, Johnny0762 has said things about Riordan that I disagree with as well, but I don't treat DR like a protected species, like a number of posters do. I mean, he gets accused of being obssessed, but in the main, the poster spent this thread defending himself or his opinion against some pretty personal stuff. I can't believe that he's had to justify responding on this thread because some big boys didn't like his post count. The banner at the top of the page when you sign in says "get stuck in", not " tip toe around until you're sure you agree with the established posters"

Best of luck with your recovery Johnny, im stuck in hospital a bit longer term, and find .net to be a decent way to pass time, so don't be discouraged by the personal stuff on this thread. The Derek Riordan Preservation Society can be pretty rabid, but they've nae teeth.

Pete
01-10-2012, 03:54 AM
Good luck to Deek wherever he plays and whatever he does from now on. I hope Bristol works out. You can't take away the goals and memories.
:flag:

p.s. Some people are sad. Who needs jambos.

HH81
01-10-2012, 05:25 AM

Naughty silver.....:-)

J-C
01-10-2012, 10:51 AM

Views about footballing matters I can handle, continued personal abuse is something which is just not on, specially when there's no obvious reason for it.

So to put it in a sentence, you can't stand Derek for his off field antics an as such will attempt to slate his character at every opportunity and in the mean time will attempt to argue with 95% of posters on this thread, even though we are totally peed off with yet another thread being hijacked for personal gratification.

silverhibee
01-10-2012, 11:17 AM
"A warning"? What, so if someone doesn't wish him good luck, what happens? Does someone turn up at the door? Booted from .net?
I wish anyone trying to better themselves the best of luck, but that doesn't mean biting my tongue, either - particularly on a forum for open discussion like .net is meant to be. The fact is, Johnny0762 has said things about Riordan that I disagree with as well, but I don't treat DR like a protected species, like a number of posters do. I mean, he gets accused of being obssessed, but in the main, the poster spent this thread defending himself or his opinion against some pretty personal stuff. I can't believe that he's had to justify responding on this thread because some big boys didn't like his post count. The banner at the top of the page when you sign in says "get stuck in", not " tip toe around until you're sure you agree with the established posters"

Best of luck with your recovery Johnny, im stuck in hospital a bit longer term, and find .net to be a decent way to pass time, so don't be discouraged by the personal stuff on this thread. The Derek Riordan Preservation Society can be pretty rabid, but they've nae teeth.

Post 213, did you read it from the admin.

Maybe when you get out of hospital we will meet up for a drink and discuss this at a pub/BTG before a game if you want, i will show you my teeth too. :aok:

Get well soon.:aok:

JIm
01-10-2012, 11:42 AM

Maybe when you get out of hospital we will meet up for a drink and discuss this at a pub/BTG before a game if you want, i will show you my teeth too. :aok:

How'd he play on Saturday?

I personally wish him all the best, a great talisman for Hibs but always felt he could have achieved so much more. Still i'm sure he's done pretty well for himself and isn't to dissapointed with how things have turned out.

500miles
01-10-2012, 11:52 AM

No I didn't.:greengrin

But then again, you don't seem to have read the OP, because it doesn't say anything about "good luck", it comments on the step down he's taken to League 2. Me and Johnny have discussed why, and got pelters for it.

So back on topic. Why do you think Derek Riordan is plying his trade in the lowest reaches of English League football?

clerriehibs
01-10-2012, 03:54 PM
Good luck derek!! Thanks for the goal-den memories!

woody0-7
01-10-2012, 06:56 PM
Wish the lad all the best some fantastic goals for the boys and a hibee aswell! Good luck deeks

Jonnyboy
01-10-2012, 07:21 PM
I doubt it was aimed at me, but i suppose only Jonnyboy can answer that. :agree:

I don't really get involved that much in threads about him anymore, they only end up going one way, it was a good luck thread and was :hijack: by a few who wanted to shoot him down in flames.

He done good for Hibs on the pitch. That's what fans should remember him for and the 104 goals he scored in his time.

Did you forget to wish him good luck. :wink:

Is the correct answer :greengrin

Johnny0762
01-10-2012, 10:25 PM
Views about footballing matters I can handle, continued personal abuse is something which is just not on, specially when there's no obvious reason for it.

So to put it in a sentence, you can't stand Derek for his off field antics an as such will attempt to slate his character at every opportunity and in the mean time will attempt to argue with 95% of posters on this thread, even though we are totally peed off with yet another thread being hijacked for personal gratification.

Stick a complaint in to admin then. I won't take it personally. Then we can get back to being friendly Hibbys again. :aok:

FranckSuzy
01-10-2012, 10:30 PM
Stick a complaint in to admin then. I won't take it personally. Then we can get back to being friendly Hibbys again. :aok:

Gie it a rest, eh? Can we not all just agree to disagree and celebrate a much-improved Hibs team?

Johnny0762
01-10-2012, 10:31 PM
Gie it a rest, eh? Can we not all just agree to disagree and celebrate a much-improved Hibs team?

It's my first comment on the thread all day. Is it just me you don't like? Not that it bothers me in the slightest. :na na:

FranckSuzy
01-10-2012, 10:34 PM
It's my first comment on the thread all day. Is it just me you don't like? Not that it bothers me in the slightest. :na na:

Why reply then? You've made your point, on numerous occasions, as is your right. But, there's a limit to which others will take you continually repeating it. And yes, it is just you as no other poster is harping on, and on, and on..................

silverhibee
01-10-2012, 10:35 PM

How are the ribs. :aok:

Johnny0762
01-10-2012, 10:35 PM

Nothing broken thankfully, just muscular. The accident was a week ago and the daily intensifying of pain was due to a lung infection caused by (they say) laboured breathing causing mucous to gather in the lung.

Some antibiotics, cocodamol and voltarol and I'm back at work the morn.

Thanks for caring. XX :aok:

silverhibee
01-10-2012, 10:40 PM
Is the correct answer :greengrin

Phew. :greengrin

Johnny0762
01-10-2012, 10:51 PM
How are the ribs. :aok:

Nothing broken thankfully, just muscular. The accident was a week ago and the daily intensifying of pain was due to a lung infection caused by (they say) laboured breathing causing mucous to gather in the lung.

Still sore but the painkillers are good.

silverhibee
01-10-2012, 10:54 PM

Am a caring guy, :wink:

It maybe was the infection that was making you a bit boisterous over the weekend.

But i see the medication hasn't fully kicked in yet. :agree:

Johnny0762
01-10-2012, 11:21 PM
Am a caring guy, :wink:

It maybe was the infection that was making you a bit boisterous over the weekend.

But i see the medication hasn't fully kicked in yet. :agree:

Well my blood pressure was sky high last night sat in casualty. May explain a lot.:agree:

It was also a very big full moon last night. :wink:

silverhibee
01-10-2012, 11:30 PM
Well my blood pressure was sky high last night sat in casualty. May explain a lot.:agree:

It was also a very big full moon last night. :wink:

Yeah i mentioned the full moon in another post for some of the weird stuff that was getting said last night. :aok:

I blamed it on burning my back with ice. :greengrin

Johnny0762
01-10-2012, 11:55 PM
Yeah i mentioned the full moon in another post for some of the weird stuff that was getting said last night. :aok:

I blamed it on burning my back with ice. :greengrin

I wouldn't normally ask, but...... ??? :snowman

J-C
02-10-2012, 09:24 AM

Me complain, nah not in my psyche, friendly Hibby's as you put it start by having reasonable debates about footballers and their footballing ability. If they stray on the wrong side of the law and it's public knowledge ( papers etc ) then that can be fair game but you went on a one man mission to trash Riordan at every opportunity. We all agree he hasn't fulfilled his potential due to a lot of things in his life but to continually have a go when all he's done is get back into the game, at a lower level maybe but at least it gives him the chance to get his career back on track.

Johnny0762
02-10-2012, 12:17 PM
Me complain, nah not in my psyche, friendly Hibby's as you put it start by having reasonable debates about footballers and their footballing ability. If they stray on the wrong side of the law and it's public knowledge ( papers etc ) then that can be fair game but you went on a one man mission to trash Riordan at every opportunity. We all agree he hasn't fulfilled his potential due to a lot of things in his life but to continually have a go when all he's done is get back into the game, at a lower level maybe but at least it gives him the chance to get his career back on track.

I tried to read the rest of your post, but still haven't. I just can't get past this bit for snorting my tea and choking on it. You've just made my ribs hurt like hell again ya bam. :greengrin

You're a moaning faced git which is why I just cracked up laughing.

I've now just read the rest of your post and you're still moaning. :agree:

Despite quite a few others saying the same on this thread, you've clearly decided that it's just a one man band. Well, as my old maw used to tell me, it's not all about me.

Anyway, the thread died a death in the casualty department two nights ago. Give it up, please. :not worth:na na:

clerriehibs
02-10-2012, 12:23 PM
I tried to read the rest of your post, but still haven't. I just can't get past this bit for snorting my tea and choking on it. You've just made my ribs hurt like hell again ya bam. :greengrin

Despite quite a few others saying the same on this thread, you've clearly decided that it's just a one man band. Well, as my old maw used to tell me, it's not all about me.

Anyway, the thread died a death in the casualty department two nights ago. Give it up, please. :not worth:na na:

Somehow, I'm not surprised your mammy had to tell you that. Probably repeatedly.

J-C
02-10-2012, 02:12 PM

No one here is moaning, we're just fed up to the back teeth of you and your ridiculous posts. Oh and your ribs are probably sore for calling someone a BAM and took exception to it, keep on laughing, cause the more you laugh the more your ribs will ache.........this will put a smile on my face knowing the pain your in. :aok:

As an after thought, how about having a go at O'Connors drug problems, I'm sure there's plenty other ex players who've not reached the heights due to off field problems. :confused::confused:

HUTCHYHIBBY
02-10-2012, 02:28 PM

Did you just take your medication before you posted this? Advising somebody else on this thread to give it up, my ribs are aching now too!

theonlywayisup
03-10-2012, 06:41 PM
From the BBC:

FOOTBALL LEAGUE UPDATEBristol Rovers secured their first League Two victory of the season at Exeter last Saturday, and look to follow it up with a victory at home to Cheltenham this evening. Derek Riordan starts up front for Rovers after his partner gave birth to a baby girl this morning. Cheltenham striker Shaun Harrad, on loan from Bury, misses out due to a calf injury.

hfc rd
03-10-2012, 06:43 PM
Hopefully it gives him a boost to go on and kick on from his recent stuttering career.

leither17
03-10-2012, 06:49 PM
had a wee bet on him to score 1st after seeing this won me plenty when he was in a hibs shirt :agree:

clerriehibs
03-10-2012, 06:50 PM
Hopefully it gives him a boost to go on and kick on from his recent stuttering career.

Can't know what the OP really intended, but I'd guess it was for a thread just to offer Deek congratulations.

Comments on the success or otherwise are done to death :rolleyes: in another recent thread.

So, congratulations Derek!

FranckSuzy
03-10-2012, 06:50 PM
Congratulations on the new arrival Deek :aok: Showing commitment to his new club as well by playing tonight.

Pretty Boy
03-10-2012, 06:55 PM
Congratulations to him.

Hope he can get a goal for the wee one.