PDA

View Full Version : A Warning Re Smoke Bombs

Gettin' Auld
27-09-2012, 07:55 AM
Some plank who set off a smoke bomb at the Airdrie v Ayr Utd match has been jailed for six months and banned from football for seven years.

Dunno about the guys previous record or if anyone was injured as a result, but that's one helluva hefty punishment.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-19732166

Godsahibby
27-09-2012, 08:03 AM
I think that flares are looked at as firearms, I'm sure a boy at T in the Park got a similar punishment for letting one off.

--------
27-09-2012, 08:13 AM
He doesn't look to be the brightest bulb in the chandelier, does he?

Lighting flares looks spectacular in video clips from Turkey, but it's extremely dangerous and illegal in this country.

PS: speaking as one who lives not too far from Airdrie, might I point out that Dimbo here comes from Ayrshire?

Before anybody starts?

Chuck Rhoades
27-09-2012, 08:26 AM
Must have had previous. Others I know only received a fine.

.Sean.
27-09-2012, 08:31 AM
Ridiculous.

jacomo
27-09-2012, 08:46 AM

Lighting flares looks spectacular in video clips from Turkey, but it's extremely dangerous and illegal in this country.

PS: speaking as one who lives not too far from Airdrie, might I point out that Dimbo here comes from Ayrshire?

Before anybody starts?

Is it?

Either way, 6 months jail for setting off a smoke bomb is utterly disproportionate... unless it's taking other offences into account.

Mikey
27-09-2012, 08:50 AM
It does look as though he's either got previous or it's a warning to others. Either way, I wouldn't be risking it myself :greengrin

JIm
27-09-2012, 08:56 AM

Before anybody starts?

Not sure i agree with this to be honest, if it was flares or flash bang grenades fair enough, but a bit of coloured smoke is hardly the end of the world.......?

Chuck Rhoades
27-09-2012, 09:08 AM
People get released after six months for a stabbing FFS. It's a bit of smoke - all these arguments about them being highly dangerous are ridiculous. And before anyone brings up the argument, I am an asthmatic.

cabbageandribs1875
27-09-2012, 09:49 AM
may as well post this on this thread instead of starting a new one :)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-19729197

A Hibernian supporter has been banned from all regulated UK football matches for a year for assaulting a security supervisor at an Edinburgh derby match.

no doubt it's a disgusting thing to do but would it not have been a more fitting punishment if the guy had to pay the steward compensation, instead of a 12 month ban from the footy :dunno:

JIm
27-09-2012, 09:57 AM

A Hibernian supporter has been banned from all regulated UK football matches for a year for assaulting a security supervisor at an Edinburgh derby match.

no doubt it's a disgusting thing to do but would it not have been a more fitting punishment if the guy had to pay the steward compensation, instead of a 12 month ban from the footy :dunno:

Or both?

UltrasHibernian
27-09-2012, 10:07 AM

Before anybody starts?

There illegal in all countries at football grounds believe it or not.

The guy must have had previous for football related incidents or he would never have got a banning order of that amount.

There was a load of pyro/smokes set off at the ****** v livingston game and a couple at the well game last night. Shows that there's a fair amount of people using them at games now a days.

Cabbage East
27-09-2012, 10:13 AM
Smoke bombs dangerous? Aye ok then.

I despair at the way football is going these days.

HUTCHYHIBBY
27-09-2012, 10:39 AM

If he had done it a year earlier he wouldnae have missed much!

essexhibee
27-09-2012, 10:48 AM
Six months is ridiculous.

Pretty Boy
27-09-2012, 10:50 AM
Smoke bombs dangerous? Aye ok then.

I despair at the way football is going these days.

Not having a direct go you by whether they are dangerous or not is irrelevant, they are illegal. Setting one off is only going to lead to bother for the individual and Hibs as a club.

Just not worth it imo.

500miles
27-09-2012, 10:58 AM
It escapes me why anyone would pay in to a football match and set off smoke bombs and the like. Gets in the way of the game, potential hazard and they're illegal. There's no grey area. I'd ban folk that set them off for as long asvi could get away with, first offence or not.

Jack
27-09-2012, 11:46 AM
A golf caddy at a club in Prestwick, he had a previous conviction for a drugs offence when he was fined a total of £150.A not guilty plea from a co-accused, 35-year-old James Doolan, of Troon, was accepted by the prosecution.

http://www.perthshireadvertiser.co.uk/perthshire-news/local-news-perthshire/perthshire/2008/07/04/golf-caddy-jailed-over-10-000-drugs-stash-73103-21222701/

Could be the same guy

Hibercelona
27-09-2012, 11:49 AM
For those who say that smoke bombs aren't a hazard.

What if people are walking up the stairs, then suddenly can't see where they're going?

One person falling over or bumping into somebody else, could effectively create a domino effect, seriously injuring a number of people.

Unlikely it may seem, but still not near enough to impossible.

DaveF
27-09-2012, 11:52 AM
I dont think think they are dangerous but they completely unsuitable in todays all seater stadiums, as you cannot possibly take into account the ages and conditions of all those around you. If its a bunch of bams on the terracing then smoke bomb away....

cabbageandribs1875
27-09-2012, 12:05 PM
If he had done it a year earlier he wouldnae have missed much!

or two :(

Killiehibbie
27-09-2012, 12:38 PM
Six months is ridiculous.I heard he got 30 days for the smoke bomb and the rest was added on for possession of an offensive face.

MSK
27-09-2012, 12:46 PM
I heard he got 30 days for the smoke bomb and the rest was added on for possession of an offensive face.:greengrin

HUTCHYHIBBY
27-09-2012, 01:26 PM
I heard he got 30 days for the smoke bomb and the rest was added on for possession of an offensive face.

Imagine how many new prisons the Gov would have to build if they arrested all 400K Jambos for that offence! I suppose Fulton would be first in line!

hibeelin
27-09-2012, 09:13 PM
People get released after six months for a stabbing FFS. It's a bit of smoke - all these arguments about them being highly dangerous are ridiculous. And before anyone brings up the argument, I am an asthmatic.

A bit of smoke you say, I'm a chronic asthmatic - in and out of hospital, I spent the majority of a derby match, that some @rse let off a smoke bomb at, in the first aid room being attended to by paramedics and given oxygen. You might think they are fun and add to the game, but why should that be more important than my enjoyment of the game and my health?

Smoke bombs at football grounds are illegal and if caught with one then you deserve what you get

Johnny0762
27-09-2012, 09:14 PM
The chap in question has TWO previous football related convictions.

The Hibby who assaulted a steward should not pay him compensation to escape a banning order, otherwise anyone with a couple of quid in their pocket could use that precedent to smack stewards.

Chuck Rhoades
27-09-2012, 09:33 PM
Smoke machines in pubs/clubs/gigs let off way more than a 30sec smoke bomb.

Hibrandenburg
27-09-2012, 09:42 PM
Like ma auld granny used to say, "It's all good fun until somebody loses an eye".

Glory Lurker
27-09-2012, 09:43 PM
In over 30 years of watching the Hibs I had never been in smoke bomb smoke until the game at Ayr last season. I couldn't see the game and became a bit concerned about the "we'll do what we want" aggro/defiance that went with it. I certainly didn't feel it was something that had been missing from my matchday experience all these years and would be happy never to repeat it. Let's just watch the game, eh?

Johnny0762
27-09-2012, 09:45 PM

Good point Rossy baby. Someone will come back and tell you that nightclubs have a license for smoke machines though.:agree:

We've spoken about this before, setting off a smoke bomb as a Fir Park stand is being evacuated with what could have been a fire, could have led to some older, or younger fans panicking on the stair wells with the potential for injury. That said, the green smoke with the "we'll do what we waaaaant" chant makes me laugh. :greengrin

Johnny0762
27-09-2012, 09:58 PM
In over 30 years of watching the Hibs I had never been in smoke bomb smoke until the game at Ayr last season. I couldn't see the game and became a bit concerned about the "we'll do what we want" aggro/defiance that went with it. I certainly didn't feel it was something that had been missing from my matchday experience all these years and would be happy never to repeat it. Let's just watch the game, eh?

:fenlon:giruy::scarf::greengrin:greengrin:greengri n

blackpoolhibs
27-09-2012, 10:01 PM
Letting a smoke bomb off gives anyone that wants to throw coins, darts or any item, the cover to do so.

Perhaps thats another reason they are banned?

Chuck Rhoades
27-09-2012, 10:19 PM
Letting a smoke bomb off gives anyone that wants to throw coins, darts or any item, the cover to do so.

Perhaps thats another reason they are banned?

Explains why the Yams do it - to hide their vulgar mug shots.

500miles
27-09-2012, 10:22 PM

Right enough. **** it, lets have strobes and a couple of lasers installed in the east. Then, when the game is pish, we can strip off, smear each other in UV paint, indulge in a mass rave orgy, like we're getting ready for the Machines attacking Zion.

It's a football ground, for watching football. Sing, cheer, bounce.... but not at the expense of everyone else.

jacomo
28-09-2012, 12:43 AM
I dont think think they are dangerous but they completely unsuitable in todays all seater stadiums, as you cannot possibly take into account the ages and conditions of all those around you. If its a bunch of bams on the terracing then smoke bomb away....

Petrie, can we have a smoking section please?

:wink:

proud_and_green
28-09-2012, 06:00 AM

Except that those 'smoke' machines don't actually release smoke from burning material, it is usually from dry ice.

wearethehibs
28-09-2012, 06:41 AM
Id rather have the smoke from a smoke bomb around me, than what you have to put up with in the East stand toilets at half time and sometimes in the stand.

Just Alf
28-09-2012, 06:50 AM

I suppose peeps have the choice to "endure" it or not I guess?

Chuck Rhoades
28-09-2012, 06:58 AM
True.

Off the bar
28-09-2012, 07:09 AM
Like ma auld granny used to say, "It's all good fun until somebody loses an eye".

and then its fun you can't see! :wink:

Frazerbob
28-09-2012, 07:25 AM
A few points:

If you can't have a fag in the ground why the hell should smoke bombs be allowed?

As has been pointed out, "smoke machines" in clubs etc are NOT smoke, they are either dry ice machines or haze machines and use a very safe liquid to create the effect. Not dangerous to punters in any way, including asthmatics.

These smoke bombs sem to be particularly popular with the Pink Bus Shelter dwellers so the harsher the punishment the better!