PDA

View Full Version : Ted Brack New Book

PatHead
26-09-2012, 12:06 PM
I got an invite to the launch of Ted's new book which comes out next month. Anyone else going?

I believe its built around some game which was played almost 40 years ago. Can't think which one though?

HIBERNIAN-0762
26-09-2012, 12:17 PM
With respects I do hope it is better than his last one which was mediocre to say the least.

superfurryhibby
26-09-2012, 12:26 PM
With respects I do hope it is better than his last one which was mediocre to say the least.

That's a constructive comment, care to say why?

Purple & Green
26-09-2012, 12:47 PM

I thought the Sauzee book was his best to date. Opinions, eh?

Future17
26-09-2012, 01:05 PM
I got an invite to the launch of Ted's new book which comes out next month. Anyone else going?

I believe its built around some game which was played almost 40 years ago. Can't think which one though?

I'll be there! :flag:

Billy Whizz
26-09-2012, 01:30 PM

Going to get my dad a book for his Birthday next month. When is this released?

HIBERNIAN-0762
26-09-2012, 01:47 PM
I thought the Sauzee book was his best to date. Opinions, eh?

Sorry I was reffering to "There Is A Bonny Fitba Team" book

HIBERNIAN-0762
26-09-2012, 01:50 PM
That's a constructive comment, care to say why?

I was reffering to "There Is A Bonny Fitba Team" book and should have made that clear.

Ted and I are roughly the same age and probably because of what he did in the book I did to a certain extent, some very good humour in it but was a bit dissapointed in it to say the least.

PatHead
26-09-2012, 02:00 PM
Going to get my dad a book for his Birthday next month. When is this released?

Launch is 11th or 12th October. so I would assume it will be in shops around then.

Billy Whizz
26-09-2012, 02:22 PM
Launch is 11th or 12th October. so I would assume it will be in shops around then.

Cheers!

Big Frank
26-09-2012, 02:50 PM
All good imo that there is a further book hitting the shelves about the greenjerseys. The more the merrier for me, and with this being our greatest victory over our greatest rivals, its long overdue.

I was on Amazon the other day and there is another book coming out (out now?) about our beloved cabbage :

At Easter road they Play 1: A post War History of Hibs .

It looks a belter and looks like it will take up our story where Lugton stopped.

Cannot wait for a copy.

I love seeing Waterstones with more books on the Hibs on their shelves than our pink pals :thumbsup:

As a side, I think knobber McKay has a book out just now, I think its called "look at ma medals" or something......

jimmy-adjovi
26-09-2012, 03:16 PM
Ted Brack's books are rubbish

cocopops1875
26-09-2012, 03:58 PM
I will be at the launch, great occasions and a chance to meet some legends, loved all his books so far and having heard his thoughts in the early stages I fully expect this to be another great read

yeezus.
26-09-2012, 04:31 PM
A friend gave me 'The making of Hibernian FC' by Alan Lugton. It's a great book.

Jonnyboy
26-09-2012, 08:51 PM

Deary me

Anyway, I'll be at the launch and am hoping some of the others invited might stop and say hello. You'll know me cos I'll be the auld grumpy bugger in the corner :greengrin

BSEJVT
26-09-2012, 08:59 PM
All good imo that there is a further book hitting the shelves about the greenjerseys. The more the merrier for me, and with this being our greatest victory over our greatest rivals, its long overdue.

I was on Amazon the other day and there is another book coming out (out now?) about our beloved cabbage :

At Easter road they Play 1: A post War History of Hibs .

It looks a belter and looks like it will take up our story where Lugton stopped.

Cannot wait for a copy.

I love seeing Waterstones with more books on the Hibs on their shelves than our pink pals :thumbsup:

As a side, I think knobber McKay has a book out just now, I think its called "look at ma medals" or something......

There is something you can do about this.

Sad as it may seem I always make a point of covering any bookshops hearts books with hibs ones!

I would thoroughly recommend it

As circulation falls they will stop stocking them. I hope

cocopops1875
26-09-2012, 09:25 PM
Deary me

Anyway, I'll be at the launch and am hoping some of the others invited might stop and say hello. You'll know me cos I'll be the auld grumpy bugger in the corner :greengrin

I have been to them all and to be fair there are quite a few fit that description :greengrin

Jonnyboy
26-09-2012, 09:26 PM
I have been to them all and to be fair there are quite a few fit that description :greengrin

:tee hee:

fat freddy
26-09-2012, 10:44 PM
i read a wee story by tam cowan the other day....he bumped into a former old firm player in glasgow and asked him if he got hassled by fans of the ''other side''...the player replied that he avoided them by going into bookshops...very subtle for a footballer.

on the subject of hibs books...is it really 37 years since i bought ''100 years of hibs'' by gerry docherty and phil thompson?...its still sitting there on the bookshelf, battered, torn spine, lost dust cover, well thumbed and with childlike comments penciled next to various pictures...looking back, it was my bible....hopefully ted bracks books have the same appeal to a new generation.

KWJ
27-09-2012, 01:14 AM
i read a wee story by tam cowan the other day....he bumped into a former old firm player in glasgow and asked him if he got hassled by fans of the ''other side''...the player replied that he avoided them by going into bookshops...very subtle for a footballer.

on the subject of hibs books...is it really 37 years since i bought ''100 years of hibs'' by gerry docherty and phil thompson?...its still sitting there on the bookshelf, battered, torn spine, lost dust cover, well thumbed and with childlike comments penciled next to various pictures...looking back, it was my bible....hopefully ted bracks books have the same appeal to a new generation.

My Paw had that book, used to read it all the time. I lost the dust cover and can't mind where it is now. Oops.

MB62
27-09-2012, 07:56 AM
Deary me

whataloadypish! Are you trying to take over from Mr Gibson?

Was invited to Ted's book launch and was really looking forward to going along and hopefully meeting a few friends too. Unfortunately, well fortunately actually, I got a cancellation appointment at the ERI for the day before and they are replacing my super charged duracel so I'm going to be out of commission for a few days afterwards. Bit of a bummer with the timing but it works out good for me personally.

Enjoy the launch and the book lads and lassies, I'm looking forward to reading Ted's latest excellent publication.

Future17
27-09-2012, 08:24 AM

:troll:

HIBERNIAN-0762
27-09-2012, 08:33 AM
[QUOTE=Future17;3368677]:troll:[/QUOTE

Everyone is entitled to their opinion mate.

Live with it without resorting to name calling.

cocopops1875
27-09-2012, 08:34 AM
:troll:

Aye had a wee look at him reeks of yam

Future17
27-09-2012, 12:39 PM

It's not intended as name-calling, more a description of that person's style of posting.

Posting a generic sweeping statement like he/she has is pointless. Have they read all the author's books? If they found the first one or two to be "rubbish" then why did they keep reading the rest? It's far more likely that they posted because they were "trolling", as I've seem them do on other threads. Of course, I'm perfectly happy to be proved wrong if they provided some kind of insightful review of why they disliked the books - surely that's the point of a discussion forum?

In any event, this is probably a subject for another thread where it wouldn't distract from the point which is that a new book on Hibernian is coming out - something all Hibs fans should be happy about for all sorts of reasons.

Personally, I'm really looking forward to reading this one perhaps more than any of the previous books. Derbies have been, in some respects, our lifeblood for many decades and the more I think about it, the more I realise I don't know as much as I would like to about "The Greatest Game In History" (having been born over a decade after it was played). Given the unique perspective(s) that this book is written from, I think it will give us as fans an insight into that game (and everything surrounding it) that most of us will never have heard about.

:flag:

cocopops1875
27-09-2012, 02:29 PM
[QUOTE=Future17;3368677]:troll:[/QUOTE

I assume you checked previous posts before jumping on this ?

tamig
27-09-2012, 05:48 PM
I was reffering to "There Is A Bonny Fitba Team" book and should have made that clear.

Ted and I are roughly the same age and probably because of what he did in the book I did to a certain extent, some very good humour in it but was a bit dissapointed in it to say the least.

That was one of the best Hibs related books I've read. As someone else said - opinions eh?

ancient hibee
27-09-2012, 06:29 PM
That was one of the best Hibs related books I've read. As someone else said - opinions eh?

Two or three careless mistakes in it -hope he has a better fact checker because he deserves to get good sales.

Bishop Hibee
27-09-2012, 07:24 PM
I'll be there. Good craic at the previous book launches.

Kato
27-09-2012, 07:43 PM
Aye had a wee look at him reeks of yam

Should have been launched weeks ago.

Bizzle14
27-09-2012, 09:13 PM
I will be at the launch, great occasions and a chance to meet some legends, loved all his books so far and having heard his thoughts in the early stages I fully expect this to be another great read

Buzzing for it, usual post book launch beers in the 4 in hand?? :greengrin

cocopops1875
27-09-2012, 09:19 PM
Buzzing for it, usual post book launch beers in the 4 in hand?? :greengrin

Nah mate I'm off the beer :aok::fibber::cheers::partyhibb:woohoo::party::roc kin:

Bizzle14
27-09-2012, 09:27 PM
Nah mate I'm off the beer :aok::fibber::cheers::partyhibb:woohoo::party::roc kin:

Gooooood Saaaaaaaaan!!

Looking forward to the book tho, ideal xmas present plus good opportunity to get book signed by Hibs legends

scoopyboy
28-09-2012, 02:02 PM
Deary me

To be honest JC I haven't been too impressed with them either.

I enjoyed them in that I can vividly recall the games but it amazed me how many games he listened to on the radio as opposed to going to the games, I expected him to be at all the games.:greengrin

basehibby
28-09-2012, 03:37 PM

All about opinions isn't it - I thoroughly enjoyed "There is a Bonny Fitba Team" (more- so than the Sauzee book which I also enjoyed BTW) - I thought it's personal slant brought the legendary times of the famous five / Joe Baker / Jock Stein etc to life in a way that many more dry accademic histories totally fail to manage.

For people of my generation or younger to whom these great periods in Hibs' history are only accessible through old B&W photos and the (very) occasional apathe news film clips, Ted's lively "fans-eye" account of these periods filled in a lot of blanks and was gratefully indulged in by myself for one.

So - don't be put off - give it a go if you fancy a good Hibees related read!

Jonnyboy
28-09-2012, 07:10 PM
To be honest JC I haven't been too impressed with them either.

I enjoyed them in that I can vividly recall the games but it amazed me how many games he listened to on the radio as opposed to going to the games, I expected him to be at all the games.:greengrin

Fair enough J, each to their own. It was the stark .... books are rubbish" comment. Bit like me saying all jimmi-adjovi's posts are rubbish :wink: