PDA

View Full Version : New Signings - Who Has Impressed the Most ?

Franck Stanton
24-09-2012, 12:08 PM
I know it is very early in the season, but just wondered what you all think of the signings Fenlon made during last transfer window. who has impressed you the most ?

For me, the stand-out has been Cairney, really impressed with him, has a great range of passing, sees openings and makes the right passes and has an eye for goal. Lacks a wee bit speed but more than makes up for it with his over-all play. Been, imo, the best signing of the summer. What's your opinions fellow .Netters

LancashireHibby
24-09-2012, 12:25 PM
I know that strictly speaking he isn't a new signing, but Claros is an entirely different player to the one we signed. :thumbsup:

HibeeN
24-09-2012, 12:25 PM
Agree with you there about Cairney. :agree: Hopefully will chip in with a few goals over the season, but like you said he's good at playing the ball forward and picking out passes too. Covers a lot of ground too. Looking forward to seeing what he can do over the season. :thumbsup:

RickyS
24-09-2012, 12:37 PM
Agree with you there about Cairney. :agree: Hopefully will chip in with a few goals over the season, but like you said he's good at playing the ball forward and picking out passes too. Covers a lot of ground too. Looking forward to seeing what he can do over the season. :thumbsup:

spot on, cairney for me too. canny believe he was part time 2 yrs ago!

Northernhibee
24-09-2012, 12:44 PM
I'd suggest Williams, now he's getting his command of crosses sorted we have a very, very good keeper.

Heedersnvolleys
24-09-2012, 12:44 PM
Cairney and not even playing in his best position I believe. I have to say Clancey comes close, nothing flashy but solid been crying out for someone like that.

Broken Gnome
24-09-2012, 12:49 PM
spot on, cairney for me too. canny believe he was part time 2 yrs ago!

Cairney's the type of signing that almost every other club seemed to make apart from us over the last few years - a Mackay-Stevens/Douglas/Templeton/Gomis/Buaben etc. lower league player that's never ever going to look out of place in the SPL.

He's got a brain in his head as well. Which helps.

Speedway
24-09-2012, 12:50 PM
Cairney for me too. Liked what I've seen from him right from the outset.

We've brought in a lot that we were 'crying out for'. We have the steady keeper, the solid, dependable full backs, the ball winning midfielder, the playmaker, the goalscoring die hard hibby. These are good times again.

Hibercelona
24-09-2012, 12:53 PM
Williams
McPake
Cairney
Claros
Deegan

Couldn't fault any of them really.

Golden Bear
24-09-2012, 01:21 PM
Paul Cairney for me as he's added an extra ingredient to the team.

He's good with the ball at his feet, has an eye for the killer pass, and can dig in when necessary.

The goalkeeper looks very solid and the other new boys have been quietly impressive.

Johnny0762
24-09-2012, 01:26 PM
Kuqi. The off-field experience he will bring to the youngsters will be invaluable. :wink:

Alex Trager
24-09-2012, 01:29 PM
Maybury for me. Think he's been solid, very professional.

Golden Bear
24-09-2012, 01:30 PM
Kuqi. The off-field experience he will bring to the youngsters will be invaluable. :wink:

We'll save him for the ploughed fields in the winter months. It's too early to right the guy off that's for sure.

.Sean.
24-09-2012, 01:30 PM
They've all been brilliant. Unbeleivable improvement on the imposters of last year like Doherty, Soares etc.

500miles
24-09-2012, 01:36 PM
It will be interesting to see how the team copes, when and if, we find ourselves without Deegan. He's got that nasty, aggressive streak that makes the opposition think twice about turning the game into a kicking match. IIRC we didn't have him in the team when we were demolished by utd.

Heedersnvolleys
24-09-2012, 01:49 PM
It will be interesting to see how the team copes, when and if, we find ourselves without Deegan. He's got that nasty, aggressive streak that makes the opposition think twice about turning the game into a kicking match. IIRC we didn't have him in the team when we were demolished by utd.
I am sure Taiwo would fill in there by the sounds of it. I have to say if anything negative I take from our signings when you consider Cairney played CM all last year by all accounts is they all seem fairly similar. Which could make us a bit predictable once we come round to playing the same teams for the 4th time.

Hibercelona
24-09-2012, 01:54 PM
I am sure Taiwo would fill in there by the sounds of it. I have to say if anything negative I take from our signings when you consider Cairney played CM all last year by all accounts is they all seem fairly similar. Which could make us a bit predictable once we come round to playing the same teams for the 4th time.

I think teams have already figured out the fact that we're becoming a far stronger team, with players who actually give a damn.

Knowing this won't make games any easier for the opposition.

hibees 7062
24-09-2012, 01:57 PM
I know it is very early in the season, but just wondered what you all think of the signings Fenlon made during last transfer window. who has impressed you the most ?

For me, the stand-out has been Cairney, really impressed with him, has a great range of passing, sees openings and makes the right passes and has an eye for goal. Lacks a wee bit speed but more than makes up for it with his over-all play. Been, imo, the best signing of the summer. What's your opinions fellow .Netters

Deegan for me with his Mcpake attitude :jmcp:

hibee92
24-09-2012, 01:59 PM
Williams for me.

GreenCastle
24-09-2012, 03:09 PM
Summary of the main players used this season

Williams - more solid and less injury prone than stack - kicking and shot stopping good. Excellent communicator - weakness crosses

Clancy - Seems solid at right back - defends when he needs to and is comfortable on the ball

Hanlon (no new signing) but seems to be really growing this season - playing alongside McPake has been massive for his development

McPake - wins nearly everything in the air - has the occasional lapse of concentration but a real winner / leader - something we missed since Rob Jones

Maybury - solid and experienced - doing well considering he is a right back playing on the left

Wotherspoon (not a new signing) - getting better again - Saturday will hopefully help his confidence with that screamer of a goal

Claros (not a new signing) - like a new player - becoming more settled - looks sharp and more fit than last year and breaks up play and starts attacks well.

Deegan - tough player and thought he seems to drift out in the 2nd half of games but showed on Saturday he can go 90 mins and do well - the new Matty Jack :wink:

Cairney - solid - you know exactly what you get from him each week - would have played at higher level if he had more speed.

Doyle ( not new signing) - but getting better and showed he has speed and determination on Saturday - great movement

LG - goal machine and will will us games this year with some wonder goals.

Caldwell - came from youth but looks like he will make it if he keeps his head screwed on - like a young GOC but more mobile.

Scott Allan Key
24-09-2012, 03:09 PM
Cairney for me with his ability to run at the opposition, find a killer pass and has a good shot on him. Also he tracks back and can tackle, a good team player.

RoYO!
24-09-2012, 04:17 PM
Williams as its been such a problem position for years now. He's made a really good start and will hopefully only improve as he gets to know his defence.

Happy with them all tbh tho!

Franck Stanton
24-09-2012, 04:24 PM
Summary of the main players used this season

Williams - more solid and less injury prone than stack - kicking and shot stopping good. Excellent communicator - weakness crosses

Clancy - Seems solid at right back - defends when he needs to and is comfortable on the ball

Hanlon (no new signing) but seems to be really growing this season - playing alongside McPake has been massive for his development

McPake - wins nearly everything in the air - has the occasional lapse of concentration but a real winner / leader - something we missed since Rob Jones

Maybury - solid and experienced - doing well considering he is a right back playing on the left

Wotherspoon (not a new signing) - getting better again - Saturday will hopefully help his confidence with that screamer of a goal

Claros (not a new signing) - like a new player - becoming more settled - looks sharp and more fit than last year and breaks up play and starts attacks well.

Deegan - tough player and thought he seems to drift out in the 2nd half of games but showed on Saturday he can go 90 mins and do well - the new Matty Jack :wink:

Cairney - solid - you know exactly what you get from him each week - would have played at higher level if he had more speed.

Doyle ( not new signing) - but getting better and showed he has speed and determination on Saturday - great movement

LG - goal machine and will will us games this year with some wonder goals.

Caldwell - came from youth but looks like he will make it if he keeps his head screwed on - like a young GOC but more mobile.

Would agree with the above but would add that Williams, who I think is a vast improvement on the keepers we have had for past 3-4 seasons, is also capable of the odd howler [ Celtic's 2nd goal springs to mind here], not really decrying him as I say, but needs to concentrate a wee bit more at times.

Piqué
24-09-2012, 04:46 PM
Only been to three games so far this season but Cairney has been the stand out for me. Looks a creative player who also loves to get stuck in. Very good passer of the ball and he seems to regularly go past players even though he's no the quickest. Very impressed so far.

frazeHFC
24-09-2012, 04:51 PM
Claros has been like a new player, and Griffiths and Doyle look a step above what they were last year too, great to see!

I think Cairney has been the best new signing without a doubt, but they have all been good. Great to see us make signings that are good and look a decent side, and i reckon Taiwo will be a good addition too.

Greendub
24-09-2012, 04:57 PM
Only flaw I have with Clancy is he has no pace.

Cairney though, what a singing he was, unlucky to hit the post on sat, could of been on par with Wotherspoon for goal of the game!

LioNeilMessi
24-09-2012, 05:20 PM
Have to say I'm really pleased with all the signings this season with Cairney turning out to be a superb player! Special mention to Doyle as we didn't see too much of him last season. Now he's starting every week, growing with confidence and improving every week. I think the attitude he brings to the game is something else and you can see he's dying to prove a point and score goals :top marks

NAE NOOKIE
24-09-2012, 06:55 PM
Cairney has been the stand out for me .... never seems to have a bad game and can shoot, tackle, beat a man and pass. It worries me that nobody in the SPL until PF became Hibs manager saw the potential in this guy.

But McPake has been Cairney's equal for different reasons ... mainly that he embodies everything that Hibs were not until he joined .. guts, determination, a never say die attitude and a will to win ...... brilliant.

But the fact that these two stand out for me does not ( I hope ) detract from everybody else in the team just now:

Williams .... a really good shot stopper ... a bit suss on crosses now and again, but makes up for it overall.

Deegan .... goes missing for 10 mins or so in games ... but you know it when he's around ... excellent attitude as well.

Clancy ... solid, dependable, a good long throw ... good attitude.

Maybury ... like Clancy he's solid and apart from his mistake againt the Yams and letting himself get bullied off the ball on Saturday he has been more than decent.

Hanlon ... This is going to be his best season for Hibs ... has got better and better since the season started ... attitude could never be faulted, even when we were keek.

Claros .... Its like having a whole new player .... what a difference... Never wanted to see him again after Hampden.. happy to change my mind now.

Spooney ... The only player who still seemed to be stuck in the pre May era ... but on Saturday he was really good and I dont even mean his goal ... long may it continue.

Doyle ... Just looks such a clever player .. stepped up to the plate on Saturday with a goal ... great work ethic. If he could improve his finishing he could be a star for us.

Griffiths ........ We will have a real struggle getting a forward half as good if he goes back to Wolves ... brilliant player.

Caldwell ... looks promising and certainly showed up well on Saturday .... will perhaps be a wee bit dissappointed that he didnt get a couple of decent chances he had on target ... but looks a good player.

Us .... What a difference a wee bit of encouragement from on the park makes ... best the Hibs fans have been for 3 seasons. Once again hats off to section 43.

Having said all that .... this is Hibs, so I'm sure like me a lot of folk are waiting for our latest wee glimmer of hope to fade and die.

On that note .... Part of me would have liked to see PF come out on Saturday after the match and say he was raging that we had let a two goal lead slip at home ... would have reinforced the tougher attitude we are supposed to be embracing on and off the park.

Anyway ... as I said ... Cairney :greengrin

Pretty Boy
24-09-2012, 06:58 PM
They've all been brilliant. Unbeleivable improvement on the imposters of last year like Doherty, Soares etc.

This.

Can't fault any of them.

iwasthere1972
24-09-2012, 07:03 PM
They've all impressed me from the goalkeeper all the way to my ex next door neighbour Tam McCourt.

GreenCastle
24-09-2012, 08:03 PM
Cairney has been the stand out for me .... never seems to have a bad game and can shoot, tackle, beat a man and pass. It worries me that nobody in the SPL until PF became Hibs manager saw the potential in this guy.

But McPake has been Cairney's equal for different reasons ... mainly that he embodies everything that Hibs were not until he joined .. guts, determination, a never say die attitude and a will to win ...... brilliant.

But the fact that these two stand out for me does not ( I hope ) detract from everybody else in the team just now:

Williams .... a really good shot stopper ... a bit suss on crosses now and again, but makes up for it overall.

Deegan .... goes missing for 10 mins or so in games ... but you know it when he's around ... excellent attitude as well.

Clancy ... solid, dependable, a good long throw ... good attitude.

Maybury ... like Clancy he's solid and apart from his mistake againt the Yams and letting himself get bullied off the ball on Saturday he has been more than decent.

Hanlon ... This is going to be his best season for Hibs ... has got better and better since the season started ... attitude could never be faulted, even when we were keek.

Claros .... Its like having a whole new player .... what a difference... Never wanted to see him again after Hampden.. happy to change my mind now.

Spooney ... The only player who still seemed to be stuck in the pre May era ... but on Saturday he was really good and I dont even mean his goal ... long may it continue.

Doyle ... Just looks such a clever player .. stepped up to the plate on Saturday with a goal ... great work ethic. If he could improve his finishing he could be a star for us.

Griffiths ........ We will have a real struggle getting a forward half as good if he goes back to Wolves ... brilliant player.

Caldwell ... looks promising and certainly showed up well on Saturday .... will perhaps be a wee bit dissappointed that he didnt get a couple of decent chances he had on target ... but looks a good player.

Us .... What a difference a wee bit of encouragement from on the park makes ... best the Hibs fans have been for 3 seasons. Once again hats off to section 43.

Having said all that .... this is Hibs, so I'm sure like me a lot of folk are waiting for our latest wee glimmer of hope to fade and die.

On that note .... Part of me would have liked to see PF come out on Saturday after the match and say he was raging that we had let a two goal lead slip at home ... would have reinforced the tougher attitude we are supposed to be embracing on and off the park.

Anyway ... as I said ... Cairney :greengrin

:agree: Like you say it's Hibs and we are never going to be Barcelona but Easter Road is becoming a more enjoyable place to go and players and fans are making the effort to be positive.

I lost massive amount of interest after last season / the final / Newco / SPL etc but I believe we are FINALLY going in the correct direction and I urge you if you have stayed away to come back to ER and see the next game and you will be hopefully convinced also :agree:

jodjam
25-09-2012, 06:47 AM
I think Clancy has greatly improved us. Full backs pairings been a problem since Whittaker/Murphy pairing but right now it's the best since then.

Clancy seems to get his head on nearly everything that comes in our box. And as someone mentioned he seems to have a cracking attitude.

spike220
25-09-2012, 10:10 AM
I have to say that Deegan deserves a mention, he scares the living the daylights out of the other team and stops our midfield from getting over run and allows others to function as they should.

The guy has a set of balls and the other teams know it so they are a bit careful with him patrolling the cenre of the park.

All the others have been very good too though!

Bighoose
25-09-2012, 10:27 AM
Cairney for me.

Reminds me a lot of John Robertson, the ex Forest winger, in that he seems to be able to beat opponents without doing anything obvious, just a wee drop of the shoulder.

And while Im on lookie-likies - Gary Deegan and Dean Windass?? - maybe not up close, but certainly from upper deck of West Stand.