PDA

View Full Version : Ross Caldwell

GreenArmy1875
22-09-2012, 07:40 PM
I thought he was great today. Strong and quick something i cant think seeing a youth player having these qualities for a while. Had a few good chances to score but created a few too. What was everyone elses opinion on the lad?

Jonnyboy
22-09-2012, 07:41 PM
I thought he was great today. Strong and quick something i cant think seeing a youth player having these qualities for a while. Had a few good chances to score but created a few too. What was everyone elses opinion on the lad?

He'll have benefitted a lot from that 90 minutes. No doubting his ability but it's a helluva jump from youth to first team.

SteveHFC
22-09-2012, 07:41 PM
He was quailty :agree:

hibee_girl
22-09-2012, 07:44 PM
Thought he had a good game, he linked up with Doyle really well, created a few chances and was unlucky not to score.

Scouse Hibee
22-09-2012, 07:48 PM
He actually surprised me with how well he competed,overall good performance from him IMO

weedgiehibbie
22-09-2012, 07:49 PM
Was quite impressed with the lad today, was quiet at times but did hee haw wrong and impressed at time and had a couple of chances, as stated its a big jump up to 1st team footie & he has much to learn but he did well today, the lad has potential :agree:

Capt Mainwaring
22-09-2012, 07:51 PM
Young fella has bags of energy and enthusiasm to get on the ball. That 90 mins will do him a great deal of good. Still has a lot of raw edges - but there is a player in there.

TornadoHibby
22-09-2012, 07:51 PM

Agreed, reminded me of a young GOC when he was first introduced to the first team in terms of build, physique, pace and ability to compete with the physical and older defenders he was up against! :agree:

Looks like a very decent prospect IMO! :agree:

NorthNorfolkHFC
22-09-2012, 07:55 PM
Agreed, reminded me of a young GOC when he was first introduced to the first team in terms of build, physique, pace and ability to compete with the physical and older defenders he was up against! :agree:

Nah, Ross held the ball up today.

Hibercelona
22-09-2012, 07:57 PM
I take it i'm in a minority when I say I thought he looked a bit slow? :greengrin

He is however good at taking players on. Some of his twists and turns at the side of the box were impressive and showed his desire to get into the box and to make space for crosses. But I think he needs to work on his pace. There were a couple of times when he had the opportunity to get one on ones with the goal keeper, but couldn't beat the last defender for pace.

Pretty Boy
22-09-2012, 08:07 PM
Didn't look out of place at all.

Think I'm in a minority but thought he tired and faded last 20 mins but overall can be pleased with his performance.

wazoo1875
22-09-2012, 08:13 PM

Think I'm in a minority but thought he tired and faded last 20 mins but overall can be pleased with his performance.
This is exactly what i thought too. Was excellent for 70 mins then just drifted out the game. Should have been subbed. Think the lad can do well overall though. Well done Ross !

HibeeN
22-09-2012, 08:45 PM

:agree: Thought Fenlon might have replaced him with Kuqi (or even brought on Sproule earlier and pushed Cairney into CM) for the last wee bit, but I thought he did well enough.

Mon Dieu4
22-09-2012, 08:52 PM
:agree: Thought Fenlon might have replaced him with Kuqi (or even brought on Sproule earlier and pushed Cairney into CM) for the last wee bit, but I thought he did well enough.

He should have done exactly that, other than the ref my only gripe today was us not getting a sub on early enough

changed days if thats all i have to moan about!!

sbell1875
22-09-2012, 09:15 PM
If I remember correctly it was he who passed the ball over the Wotherspoon for his goal so that will surely go down as an assist?

I thought he put in a real shift today. It is refreshing that he seem to have a genuine option on the bench and I think he will only get better as the season progresses.

thebakerboy
22-09-2012, 09:20 PM
He reminded me of a young Garry O'Connor but perhaps should have been subbed after about 75mins by Kuci because he seemed to run out of steam.

LeighLoyal
22-09-2012, 09:26 PM
Impressed. I think we missed Griffiths though.

TomoHFC
22-09-2012, 09:51 PM
Fantastic today hoping that he plays like that next week

nonshinyfinish
22-09-2012, 09:53 PM
Impressed. I think we missed Griffiths though.

Would be astonishing if we didn't.

whiskyhibby
22-09-2012, 10:04 PM
I thought Caldwell was excellent today, nit much of a goal threat but a really good target man, hi showed real strength in keeping the ball and linked well with the rest of the team

HibeeN
22-09-2012, 10:21 PM
He should have done exactly that, other than the ref my only gripe today was us not getting a sub on early enough

changed days if thats all i have to moan about!!

great minds and all that :greengrin I think Cairney is a bit wasted on the left. Not that he's not good, I really like him, but he doesn't seem to want to play many balls into the box and so gets a bit stuck and ends up playing it back. Would like to see him get more space through the middle.

Mon Dieu4
22-09-2012, 10:31 PM
great minds and all that :greengrin I think Cairney is a bit wasted on the left. Not that he's not good, I really like him, but he doesn't seem to want to play many balls into the box and so gets a bit stuck and ends up playing it back. Would like to see him get more space through the middle.

I was saying to someone today that if we played him in the middle he could be like John O'Neil was for us ;)

Scooter
22-09-2012, 11:18 PM

Thought the lad done well enought, good strength and I thought he had decent pace aswell.

In the cairney point I agree, I wasn't impressed withbDeegan I'm sure I read Mcgivern can play wide left ? Pit him there and cairney into the middle in place of Deegan

lucky
23-09-2012, 07:08 AM
For 75 minutes he was excellent and like what everyone is saying he was like a young GOC. For the last 15 minutes he was like an old GOC. He should have been subbed but that game will benefit him. The boy has got a chance to really shine. For an 18 year old he was impressive

Alex Trager
23-09-2012, 07:32 AM
Played well for seventy. Just needs more time. I don't doubt he'll come good though. Impressed with what I seen.

down-the-slope
23-09-2012, 07:40 AM
The lack of reserve league makes it even hard for youngsters to bridge the gap between youth and first team these days - so its to his immense credit the way he played in that 90 mins.

The fact that it did not look like his first full start + 90 mins says a lot. His fantastic winning of the ball and finding Spoony in space to get his goal was a highlight. He worked and closed down and did well in the air - like most strikers would benefit from a run of games with partner to get to know their game (like he and Handling have had) I also thought that the manager was clever in using this particular game after such a good positive support from the stands last week - we really need to get Stanton and possibly Handling blooded in the same way to give us options and progress with the tight squad we have

Slight aside - but the way the whole team celebrated Spoonys goal said volumes for team spirit....

Jones28
23-09-2012, 08:35 AM
I was thoroughly impressed by Caldwell today, really good in the air as well as closing down the Caley defence when they had possession. Keep it up! :agree: :flag:

Stuarty27
23-09-2012, 09:05 AM
I thought he was excellent today, I watched him closely all game and he didn't give the ball away once, his hold up play was great and he was unlucky not to score. All that was missing from his performance was a goal.

I would much rather pay to watch young guys like that, work there balls off for 90mins than washed up has beens like kuqi etc.

blackpoolhibs
23-09-2012, 12:03 PM
He reminded me of a young Garry O'Connor but perhaps should have been subbed after about 75mins by Kuci because he seemed to run out of steam.

One or two around me said that, and i fail to see it? O'Connor never had the best feet, and always struggled with even the easy 5-10 yard passes, Caldwell for me looks much more comfortable on the ball than Garry ever did. Caldwells movement was very impressive at times, and for a young lad making his full debut, i though he did very well. Not as robust as a younger O'Connor was.

Watching him yesterday, in my opinion he's easily much more of a team player, more aware of whats happening around him and better on the Ball than O'Connor ever was, the question is can he score goals at this level?

matty_f
23-09-2012, 12:11 PM
Was described by someone at the club as 'like Steven Fletcher, but with two good feet.'

Hope he lives up to that billing, he certainly looked the pat yesterday.

The Rams have been forced to play the young lad Patterson and I reckon Caldwell looks twice the player he is.

iwasthere1972
23-09-2012, 12:40 PM

That was my thoughts. Hopefully he'll stay away from what Garry was taken.

nonshinyfinish
23-09-2012, 12:52 PM
The Rams have been forced to play the young lad Patterson and I reckon Caldwell looks twice the player he is.

Do you watch Derby a lot? :confused:

sahib
23-09-2012, 02:18 PM
I agree with all the positive comments and also that he was a bit knackered by about 70mins. Decent fresh legs about then may have seen us win. Why not try another youngster like Stanton at that stage.

matty_f
23-09-2012, 02:37 PM
Do you watch Derby a lot? :confused:
:rolleyes: iPads and smartphones were not made for Hibs.net, clearly. :greengrin

nonshinyfinish
23-09-2012, 02:52 PM
:rolleyes: iPads and smartphones were not made for Hibs.net, clearly. :greengrin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DtbPOXFk00

:na na:

matty_f
23-09-2012, 02:58 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DtbPOXFk00

:na na:

I've got that outfit. :agree:

Robinho08
23-09-2012, 03:53 PM

Agree both points, thought Fenlon may have subbed him for Kuqi.

NAE NOOKIE
23-09-2012, 04:37 PM
Thought RC had an excellent 70 minutes, but he did run out of steam after that and should have been subbed. I also agree that he could do with a bit of sprint training .. he was beaten in a straight foot race at least twice by ICT defenders. But you can see the potential no doubt about it.

Somebody mentioned Cairney on here ... once again the guy was excellent, makes you wonder why he has been playing lower division football up till now. I was directly behind his shot in the last few minutes .. if the defender hadnt managed to get his leg in the way it looked like a certain goal to me.

I would love to see Hibs tinker a wee bit to enable him to play as far forward as possible ... I'm sure he would score plenty of goals.

WellingtonHibby
24-09-2012, 01:36 AM
[QUOTE=matty_f;3366376]Was described by someone at the club as 'like Steven Fletcher, but with two good feet.'

The Rams have been forced to play the young lad Patterson and I reckon Caldwell looks twice the pl

Fletcher has had four shots and scored four times this session.
The boy is lethal and that's in the prem

3pm
24-09-2012, 07:11 AM
Was described by someone at the club as 'like Steven Fletcher, but with two good feet.'

That young lad looks a really good player so that's some statement!

--------
24-09-2012, 11:51 AM
Thought RC had an excellent 70 minutes, but he did run out of steam after that and should have been subbed. I also agree that he could do with a bit of sprint training .. he was beaten in a straight foot race at least twice by ICT defenders. But you can see the potential no doubt about it.

Somebody mentioned Cairney on here ... once again the guy was excellent, makes you wonder why he has been playing lower division football up till now. I was directly behind his shot in the last few minutes .. if the defender hadnt managed to get his leg in the way it looked like a certain goal to me.

I would love to see Hibs tinker a wee bit to enable him to play as far forward as possible ... I'm sure he would score plenty of goals.

The only thing I'd say about Paul is that he might be a better player if he dropped a bit of beef around his middle - he's a but chunky to my eye.

I only saw the highlights - Fenlon seemed to have upped the tempo quite a bit from last season, or am I wrong there?

That might have something to do with guys like young Ross coming into the team and finding the last 20 minutes a labour?

24-09-2012, 11:54 AM
Thought he did well on saturday :agree: