PDA

View Full Version : Fishy site match report

Jonnyboy
22-09-2012, 06:47 PM
Surely not written by the usual author? Very different style from the norm so who's your money on? :wink:

http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/20120922/hibernian-2-inverness-2_2262950_2926556

DaveF
22-09-2012, 06:53 PM
The plot seems to be totally lost in the last few paragraphs, as the reader is told how to deal with the result and who had a great game.

I have my suspicions but I may be wide of the mark :greengrin

silverhibee
22-09-2012, 06:53 PM
Surely not written by the usual author? Very different style from the norm so who's your money on? :wink:

http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/20120922/hibernian-2-inverness-2_2262950_2926556

Jonnyboy. :greengrin

Kato
22-09-2012, 06:54 PM
We could maybe find out who it is by process of elimination. I'll start. It wasn't Kenny Sheils.

Jonnyboy
22-09-2012, 06:54 PM
The plot seems to be totally lost in the last few paragraphs, as the reader is told how to deal with the result and who had a great game.

I have my suspicions but I may be wide of the mark :greengrin

As do I Dave but you're right, it's bizarre at the end

Jonnyboy. :greengrin

Not guilty your honour

Jonnyboy
22-09-2012, 06:55 PM
We could maybe find out who it is by process of elimination. I'll start. It wasn't Kenny Sheils.

Or Ryan O'Leary

Sir David Gray
23-09-2012, 12:41 PM
I was working yesterday so didn't make the match and read the match report on the Hibs website to say what they were saying and I couldn't believe its content at all.

Very poorly written article and not something I would expect to see on a club's official website.

.Sean.
23-09-2012, 01:23 PM
What's wrong with the article?

oconnors_strip
23-09-2012, 02:00 PM
As do I Dave but you're right, it's bizarre at the end

very "fan like" written:agree:

But it's also important to put the result into perspective - accept it, deal with it and move on....this sentence made me laugh but also quite annoyed, a match reporter telling me to move on!!!

:rolleyes:

The_Exile
23-09-2012, 02:42 PM
Just read it, and I like it, bit of emotion in it, quite like that, would be a bit weird if it was a BBC report or something, but it's not, so I've no problem with it.

Alfred E Newman
23-09-2012, 02:48 PM
I was working yesterday so didn't make the match and read the match report on the Hibs website to say what they were saying and I couldn't believe its content at all.

Very poorly written article and not something I would expect to see on a club's official website.

:confused:

Onceinawhile
23-09-2012, 03:33 PM
The last few paragraphs read as though they come straight from a pat fenlon interview imo.

FifeHibernian
23-09-2012, 05:17 PM
I liked it, it was more personal than your average report which I see no problem with coming from the club.

DaveF
23-09-2012, 05:47 PM
I liked it, it was more personal than your average report which I see no problem with coming from the club.

I'm the exact opposite.

I don't mind partisan fan coverage via the Hibs TV \ Radio commentary - in fact that should be actively encouraged - but that report reads like an over eager fan cobbling something together in 5 minutes. As I pointed out last night, the paragraphs at the end are a joke IMO .What happens if we win next week? Will orders be issued to keep our feet on the ground and to take one game at a time?

Pretty average stuff and quite poor from an official source.

Cabbage East
23-09-2012, 06:34 PM
I liked it.

R'Albin
23-09-2012, 06:45 PM
What's wrong with the article?

This bit doesn't look right to me:

"But for as impressive as Hibs were moving forward..."

Shouldn't it be: As impressive as Hibs were moving forward..."

Anyway, this is the part that is irritating folk, and I kind of agree. It comes across as very patronising.

"
Admittedly this was a hiccup and, after chalking up a two-goal advantage, a draw was a disappointing outcome.

But it's also important to put the result into perspective - accept it, deal with it and move on.
There were lots of positives that came out of the performance and there are also lessons that can learned. Certain aspects can be improved upon and put right in time for next Saturday's trip north to Aberdeen.
In the midst of a morale-enhancing unbeaten streak, this was the first time that Hibs have dropped SPL points against a team that hasn't participated in European competition this season.
The hallmark of any successful and competitive team is how they react to the set-back and we will all see what happens at Pittodrie.
The fact that there was an overriding feeling of disappointment at the full-time whistle only further highlights just how much progress has happened at the club since May.
Finally continuing on the theme of positivity - midfielder Jorge Claros should be lauded for his performance. The Honduran controlled the match with some timely interceptions, spirited tackles and measured passes; he is a real asset to the team and should be applauded. "

FifeHibernian
23-09-2012, 08:15 PM
I'm the exact opposite.

I don't mind partisan fan coverage via the Hibs TV \ Radio commentary - in fact that should be actively encouraged - but that report reads like an over eager fan cobbling something together in 5 minutes. As I pointed out last night, the paragraphs at the end are a joke IMO .What happens if we win next week? Will orders be issued to keep our feet on the ground and to take one game at a time?

I see where you're coming from. I'm not for partisan match reports in general (for example if the BBC's match reports were partisan I'd be unhappy). I can see that fans could easily be put off if they felt the club was telling them how to feel. I didn't mind it though, perhaps not thought through very well but I think the intentions were good. Even though misguided I think it showed they're trying to connect with fans and that, unlike many football clubs, (someone at the club at least) cares what we think.

RIP
24-09-2012, 01:22 PM
I was under the impression that everyone who contributes this kind of content to the official site is a dyed-in-the-wool Hibby.

As far as I know only one (Andrew Sleight) gets paid for their trouble and he works all the hours.

It's been like that for years only these days the management of the site is outsourced to a third party

So if one of the volunteers wrote that then I'm happy

Peevemor
24-09-2012, 01:34 PM
I'm not interested in seeing partisan reports on the official sight - unless we're playing them that is. Otherwise let the f***ers buy the Belgrade Evening News or whatever it is. :agree:

Chuck Rhoades
24-09-2012, 02:16 PM
Looks as though one of the LWT group has volunteered themselves to help with Andrew's workload?

hibsbollah
24-09-2012, 02:34 PM
It doesnt read well at all.

Scouse Hibee
24-09-2012, 03:12 PM
Let's see, we're happy with the team, manager, performance, passion, desire, fans, results, league position............................there had to be something eh! :greengrin

Hibercelona
24-09-2012, 03:19 PM
Not really bothered by it myself to be honest.

You normally expect most match reports to be completely neutral and devoid of any sort of emotional input. That clearly wasn't the case this time, but who cares?

It's the Hibs site and the person who typed it up is clearly a passionate Hibby........ with bad grammar. :wink:

DaveF
24-09-2012, 03:20 PM
I was under the impression that everyone who contributes this kind of content to the official site is a dyed-in-the-wool Hibby.

As far as I know only one (Andrew Sleight) gets paid for their trouble and he works all the hours.

It's been like that for years only these days the management of the site is outsourced to a third party

I certainly wasn't questioning the hibbyness of the writer?

I also wasn't questioning if anyone got paid?

The OP noticed a change in the reporting style and it's prompted some discussion. What's the problem with that?

JohnStephens91
24-09-2012, 06:11 PM

It looks like someone other than Andrew has produced it, not sure if it was an LWT volunteer though

Jonnyboy
24-09-2012, 09:24 PM
As I started this thread I thought I should respond to some of the posts made. My main reason for seeking views was that I thought it wasn't really a match report in the style I've grown used to and enjoyed on the fishy site. Instead it was almost a rallying call which is fair enough but perhaps not published in the right place!

It's a bugbear of mine that modern day match reports are not actually reports of the match but rather a summary of the post match views of the manager/selected player with the odd reference to how and when any goals were scored.

Anyway, I'll wait and see what they say next Saturday :greengrin

RIP
24-09-2012, 09:55 PM

I certainly wasn't questioning the hibbyness of the writer?

I also wasn't questioning if anyone got paid?

The OP noticed a change in the reporting style and it's prompted some discussion. What's the problem with that?

I wisnae addressing JB, you or anyone else Dave. I was just posting an observation. I'm sure Andrew would be receptive to more people stepping forward to volunteer their time, particularly Mr C.

Mind you he's probably due his retirement and long service award :greengrin

Jonnyboy
24-09-2012, 10:07 PM
I wisnae addressing JB, you or anyone else Dave. I was just posting an observation. I'm sure Andrew would be receptive to more people stepping forward to volunteer their time, particularly Mr C.

Mind you he's probably due his retirement and long service award :greengrin

Cheeky bassa :greengrin

Broken Gnome
25-09-2012, 06:32 AM
As I started this thread I thought I should respond to some of the posts made. My main reason for seeking views was that I thought it wasn't really a match report in the style I've grown used to and enjoyed on the fishy site. Instead it was almost a rallying call which is fair enough but perhaps not published in the right place!

It's a bugbear of mine that modern day match reports are not actually reports of the match but rather a summary of the post match views of the manager/selected player with the odd reference to how and when any goals were scored.

Doing sports journalism at Napier (for a whopping two weeks out of four years) we were instructed to ignore the actual event as much as possible. Find a unique sideshow to the match as the main theme of the article; involving the crowd, passing birds (of the avian kind), whatever, just don't spend 400 words actually talking about a match.

Not sure you would have shared that style of tuition :greengrin

Jonnyboy
25-09-2012, 04:03 PM
Doing sports journalism at Napier (for a whopping two weeks out of four years) we were instructed to ignore the actual event as much as possible. Find a unique sideshow to the match as the main theme of the article; involving the crowd, passing birds (of the avian kind), whatever, just don't spend 400 words actually talking about a match.

Not sure you would have shared that style of tuition :greengrin

You're right Richey :agree:

So, basically the object of the exercise is not to report on what happened, for the benefit of those readers who could not attend, but to report that somebody went :fenlon, :jmcp: or :giruy: and explain the circumstances that prompted it?

:greengrin

BSEJVT
25-09-2012, 04:18 PM
Off topic but partly relevant

When is your book launch due J C

And is Alan Lugton's relaunch still planned simultaneously?

Thanks

Jonnyboy
25-09-2012, 10:31 PM

Thanks

Soon, very soon :greengrin

http://www.birlinn.co.uk/author/details/John-Campbell-1539/

Not sure re the AL question. I'll try and find out :thumbsup:

BSEJVT
26-09-2012, 07:05 AM
Thanks JC

Have I got my wires crossed or is the book shown the first in a trilogy?

I know AL has 3 volumes?

Best of luck with it, really looking forward to it

Thanks

hibbybrian
26-09-2012, 07:42 AM

"right through to the mid-sixties when a young lad by the name of Joe Baker burst onto the scene."

You really should proof read the publisher's script J :greengrin

MSK
26-09-2012, 10:45 AM

Not sure re the AL question. I'll try and find out :thumbsup:Kindle ..?....:I'm waiti ......:greengrin

Mikey
26-09-2012, 11:01 AM

Saturday's match report will be..........

When asked about our fourth penalty award of the game Pat Fenlon said.......... :fenlon

When asked about his sixth goal, Leigh Griffiths said.............. :giruy:

When asked about his overhead kick goal from his own 18 yard line James McPake said............. :jmcp:

The end.

Hibby D
26-09-2012, 12:40 PM

Well if you think you can do any better........ :na na:

Seriously though - if it's unpaid work by a Hibs supporting volunteer it doesn't bother me (much :greengrin) if there's a few grammatical errors or speeling mistooks. If however, someone is being handsomely paid to produce the content of the official site, then the least I'd expect is for match reports and articles to be proof-read (unless it's JC of course :wink:) before publication.

Jonnyboy
26-09-2012, 08:57 PM
Thanks JC

Have I got my wires crossed or is the book shown the first in a trilogy?

I know AL has 3 volumes?

Best of luck with it, really looking forward to it

Thanks

Yep, three volumes written with the first about to be published "At Easter Road They Play" :agree:

You really should proof read the publisher's script J :greengrin

They never listen to me Brian :greengrin

Jonnyboy
02-10-2012, 07:42 PM

Thanks

Apparently all three are going to be relaunched on 6 November (according to Waterstones) so start saving up now :greengrin

green glory
02-10-2012, 09:24 PM
Pedantic I know but the cover photograph doesn't actually show them playing at Easter Road, looks more like East Eand Park?