PDA

View Full Version : Subs?!?!

Amit
22-09-2012, 03:58 PM
2pts dropped. Needed to make subs earlier. Very disappointed.

Sproule sub was a complete waste.

Dinkydoo
22-09-2012, 04:04 PM
Do you know if Kuqi is match fit? Fenlon doesn't seem to think so.

What other options apart from Handling do we have up front?

Northernhibee
22-09-2012, 04:07 PM
Once Taiwo is ready to come into the first team soon we'll have more options. The only physical midfielder we have is Deegan. If we replaced Deegan with Stevenson we'd have been lacking.

It's still a young team, and in many ways it's good that we're not happy with a draw. We can only get stronger though.

Amit
22-09-2012, 04:07 PM
Could've dropped an attacker for a midfielder to close the game out. Caley change their tactics and it was only time before they got an equaliser.

Pretty Boy
22-09-2012, 04:16 PM
Doyle and Caldwell were shattered.

Handling or Kuqi, even Sproule could have come on for one of them. Even if Kuqi isn't 100% match fit he would surely have been capable of 15 minutes.

3pm
22-09-2012, 04:23 PM
Doyle and Caldwell were shattered.

Handling or Kuqi, even Sproule could have come on for one of them. Even if Kuqi isn't 100% match fit he would surely have been capable of 15 minutes.

I was quite happy for the 2 of them to carry on. Still getting a shift from them.

fife hfc
22-09-2012, 04:27 PM
To be honest I wanted a sub then thought who would you replace. I can see why Pat kept the same team and that was not the reason we drew.

hibee_girl
22-09-2012, 04:30 PM
To be honest I wanted a sub then thought who would you replace. I can see why Pat kept the same team and that was not the reason we drew.

:agree: I thought the same, there wasn't anyone that was noticeably struggling or having a bad game.

Amit
22-09-2012, 04:33 PM

Sproule sub was baffling. We were hanging on as ICT pushed on. A tactical sub was definitely needed. Being 2-0 up and drawing 2-2 against a poor side has to be looked upon as 2pts dropped.

Pretty Boy
22-09-2012, 04:36 PM
I was quite happy for the 2 of them to carry on. Still getting a shift from them.

Personally thought Caldwell, who didn't look at all out of place today, was labouring last 10/15 minutes.

There was a spell when Hibs got very edgy and nervy and it looked to me like the ICT goal was coming. Maybe a sub then would have broken up the run of play but I'll admit that's conjecture.

Opinions eh?

Liams
22-09-2012, 04:56 PM
I feel there was no option PF could of made to improve the game, caldwell and doyle played well and held the ball up very well for 90 mins with cairny and spiiny providing decent attack, while claros and deegin played soild in midfield.. Just a case of bad ref decession (their first goal onwards) and bad luck...

lucky
22-09-2012, 05:10 PM
I thought the lack of changes cost us today. Pat's failure to make the changes earlier is a tad worrying. Both forwards were shattered as was Deegan. But things are still improving.

East Coast Hibe
22-09-2012, 05:22 PM
I thought the lack of changes cost us today. Pat's failure to make the changes earlier is a tad worrying. Both forwards were shattered as was Deegan. But things are still improving.

^
This

Golden Bear
22-09-2012, 05:26 PM
Unless fitness was an issue, then I didn't think there was any need to make use of the subs today.

The team generally played ok, it's just a pity we didn't get the result that the performance merited.

Violater
22-09-2012, 05:26 PM
Got to agree 2 points dropped,needed something different with 20 mins to go.

Looking a much better team than last year though :agree:

Liams
22-09-2012, 05:32 PM

But with todays bench, who would you have replaced the Center of Midfield with? I UNDERSTAND that changes were needed from 60-70 mins, but i couldnt seen a fit impact player, i dont think it would of been right to bring in either of the youths with 20-30 mins to go and the rest needed to catch more match sharpness. Its great signs leaving ER being disapointed when you get a point, Shows that the team are playing better and improving!

:pfgwa:pfgwa:pfgwa

Seanair
22-09-2012, 05:33 PM
:agree: I thought the same, there wasn't anyone that was noticeably struggling or having a bad game.

Maybury--should have been hooked at half-time.

lucky
22-09-2012, 05:37 PM
But with todays bench, who would you have replaced the Center of Midfield with? I UNDERSTAND that changes were needed from 60-70 mins, but i couldnt seen a fit impact player, i dont think it would of been right to bring in either of the youths with 20-30 mins to go and the rest needed to catch more match sharpness. Its great signs leaving ER being disapointed when you get a point, Shows that the team are playing better and improving!

:pfgwa:pfgwa:pfgwa

Stevenson or McGirvan on for Deegan. It was not an impact player we were needing it was more energy. Kugi and Sproule on up front. He big guy to hold the ball and Ivan to run into the corners. We just needed to change the flow of the game.

ahibby
22-09-2012, 05:46 PM
I'm not sure why we didn't make subs today and usually Sproule would be useful when you are in the lead and expect to be attacked but can hit on the break. Leaving two up front ensured they'd keep at least two defenders back. On another matter I thought that a deliberate hand ball to cut out a pass would be automatic yellow but I must be wrong because Caley did that twice and escaped a booking. You can tell that there is something afoot when you play caley and end up with more yellow cards than they do. I'm not saying that they are overly physical and hand ball intentionally, well actually I am. Sour grapes maybe?

Maybe if we had people on the bench, other than Sproule, who PF could feel comfortable about bringing on then we would have taken all the points today. We played some nice stuff, looked shakey after we lost the first goal after it appeared our defender was fouled, and we missed some chances. If we had taken our chances we would have won even with out substitutes.

ancient hibee
22-09-2012, 06:00 PM
Deegan was very tired with 15 minutes to go.If he wanted Sproule on he could have pushed Cairney into central midfield particularly as we didn't get him into the game second half.

TornadoHibby
22-09-2012, 06:02 PM
Do you know if Kuqi is match fit? Fenlon doesn't seem to think so.

What other options apart from Handling do we have up front?

Why is he on the bench then? :confused:

Hibby Bairn
22-09-2012, 06:03 PM
Stevenson or McGirvan on for Deegan. It was not an impact player we were needing it was more energy. Kugi and Sproule on up front. He big guy to hold the ball and Ivan to run into the corners. We just needed to change the flow of the game.

:agree: Put one of them in Cairney's position and put Cairney in behind the forwards in the centre. Much more chance of a goal. In fact I would play Cairney in there instead of Deegan every week. Another body in and around the box when we are attacking. There is little or no goal threat from Deegan who never reaches the box when we are attacking down the wings.

IMO. :wink:

Hibees07
22-09-2012, 06:04 PM
For me the problem is the long high ball, Forlan won everything today against Hanlon and as the game came into the closing stages there were more and more balls launched up the park. I would have brought McGivern on for his height and taken Doyle or Caldwell off. An additional centre back would have seen the game out.

Dinkydoo
22-09-2012, 06:22 PM
Why is he on the bench then? :confused:

An unfit player coming on with 15 minutes to go to gain a little more game time, when the team are a couple of goals up and cruising, is different from an unfit player coming on with the role of relieving the pressure from his team mates when we are holding on. Kuqi could have been used if the circumstances were different although today wouldn't have worked well IMO.

matty_f
22-09-2012, 06:38 PM

:agree: Same here.

DaveF
22-09-2012, 06:41 PM

Agree with that. Kuqi for Caldwell for the last 15 might have won us more possession higher up the park.

DaveF
22-09-2012, 06:43 PM
:agree: Put one of them in Cairney's position and put Cairney in behind the forwards in the centre. Much more chance of a goal. In fact I would play Cairney in there instead of Deegan every week. Another body in and around the box when we are attacking. There is little or no goal threat from Deegan who never reaches the box when we are attacking down the wings.

IMO. :wink:

You must have been facing the wrong way late in the game when Deegan got on the end of a ball from the right and his shot\cut back was deflected into the keepers arms.

Jonnyboy
22-09-2012, 06:51 PM
Sproule sub was baffling. We were hanging on as ICT pushed on. A tactical sub was definitely needed. Being 2-0 up and drawing 2-2 against a poor side has to be looked upon as 2pts dropped.

I reckon Pat realised we were winning possession in the middle but had no wide man outlet. Sproule was the wrong choice. I'd have popped McGivern in there and Amit I agree 100% that the change should have been made far sooner :agree:

Franck Stanton
22-09-2012, 07:00 PM
Whilst I thought both our front men had a good game today, thought that with 20 [ish] min to go they were showing signs of tiring. I would have changed one of them for Kugi for a number of reasons. He would get much needed game time, he would hold the ball up better than either Caldwell or Doyle, as I dont think holding the ball up is a big part of eithers game. This would have allowed say, Doyle was still on, to drop slightly deeper to help out the midfield when we didn't have the ball and to make the runs when Kugi had possession. Also think Kuqi wins more of his fair share of high balls into the box thereby creating chances for others. Also thought our c/mid tired around this time also, bring McGivern on for l/back, take Deegan off as he was knackered and move Maybury into holding m/f role. Just my opinion. I am also of the opinion that when we are 2-0 up at home to ICT we should never end up with a 2-2 draw. Oh and what about that ref ? He definately went to the Thomson school of refereeing. Complete half-wit, [would have used better description but it would have been censored]. Maybury was fouled in the lead - up to their first goal, even Stevie Wonder would have seen that. To say the ref made a few strange decisions during the game is, as they say, an understatement, [bit like saying WW2 was a wee fight in Europe]. Two points thrown away today.

Hibby 2005
22-09-2012, 09:20 PM
Maybury--should have been hooked at half-time.

Maybury looked very shaky, was outpaced and not strong enough.

The 2 points dropped were mainly down to Fenlon's inactions. The equaliser was coming and whatever the options on the bench changes should have been made.

JimBHibees
22-09-2012, 09:30 PM

The 2 points dropped were mainly down to Fenlon's inactions. The equaliser was coming and whatever the options on the bench changes should have been made.

Disagree Maybury was very good and while a sub may have helped it is easy to say now it was the wrong decision, personally didnt see ICT scoring second half but they did.

NAE NOOKIE
22-09-2012, 09:34 PM
I thought Caldwell was tired looking in the last 20 minutes and should have been replaced, after putting in a good shift.

Thats my only real complaint though. Hibs were really good in the first half and competed well in the second, without being as creative, it a game we should have won, but if we keep playing like that we will be fine.

90% of refs would have given a foul in the lead up to their first goal, from where I was sitting it looked like a push or a barge from the ICT player.

ronaldo7
22-09-2012, 09:36 PM

I watched the two of them against Hamilton under 20's the other week, and stuggled to see if I could get a couple of envelopes under Kuqi's feet when he jumped. Ivan missed a pen, and twice went one on one with the goalie and missed the chance.

We've no strength in depth from the bench and Pat knows it. That's why he leaves it so late.

Scouse Hibee
22-09-2012, 10:06 PM

Nonsense.